• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale 2016 Thread: Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for Christmas Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

So here's a random request: what's the best Chess game on Steam? No, not Chess 2. No, not Hive (albeit I love the physical tile version of Hive). No, not Archon.

Chess. Plain old chess.

Plain old chess, you say?

I just use Tabletop, but that has no AI/CPU, so.

How about this, Pure Chess Grandmaster Edition?

Hahaha, Simply Chess is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the pointer!

I was going to suggest Simply Chess as well.

On a sidenote, outside of Steam, you can get a much better software, which is both open-source and the strongest engine in the market:

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was wondering, do X1 controllers work flawlessly on PC now? My old 360 stick is worn down and needs replacing.

Microsoft occasionally breaks the driver with a Windows 10 update, but other than that they function just fine.

Help me please, I'm rookie at Steam sales. Is my theory right?

Games that are more than 60% off are easily decidable because these games will not have this high percentage off during the winter sales.

I guess this is how it will look like at the winter sales

Game A autumn - 67% ---> Game A winter - no sale or just 30% or so

Game B autumn - 0-30% ---> Game B winter - more than 50% off

In short, if you see something newer game (like DOOM) ~60% off then buy it now.

Yup, this is what I concluded from last year's autumn & winter sale as well.

Grief.exe

Help me please, I'm rookie at Steam sales. Is my theory right?

Games that are more than 60% off are easily decidable because these games will not have this high percentage off during the winter sales.

I guess this is how it will look like at the winter sales

Game A autumn - 67% ---> Game A winter - no sale or just 30% or so

Game B autumn - 0-30% ---> Game B winter - more than 50% off

In short, if you see something newer game (like DOOM) ~60% off then buy it now.

Why would Publishers and Developers willingly decline revenue during the winter sale?

They are going to be essentially the same prices in both the Autumn and Winter sales, some may dip lower in the latter as Valve has given them the ability to set different prices for the sales this year.

Is the combat in Trails in the Sky difficult? I like to play RPGs mostly for their stories and dialogue but I'm terrible at turn-based combat.

Why would Publishers and Developers willingly decline revenue during the winter sale?

They are going to be essentially the same prices in both the Autumn and Winter sales, some may dip lower in the latter as Valve has given them the ability to set different prices for the sales this year.

Yes it's weird. But I remember it clearly that there were games that had lower discounts (or even none) in Winter sale.

Eridani

Is the combat in Trails in the Sky difficult? I like to play RPGs mostly for their stories and dialogue but I'm terrible at turn-based combat.

The combat in First Chapter is really easy, although some of the later bosses can be quite hard. I can't say how hard Second Chapter is on normal, since I played it on hard (where it's extremely hard, and that's not even the hardest difficulty).

Rondras

Banned
I bought Elite Dangerous and the Sniper Ghost Warrior Trilogy Pack(art of victory and GW(already had 2) even cheapet than buying on Instant Gaming so it was worth.

Berto

Can anyone tell me anything about Dawn of Discovery?
Great game and surprisingly deep in late game, you rarely feel that you have reach the end on the "tech tree" (not really a tech tree). You'll be constantly in search for different raw materials in a series of islands to produce something that is needed to improve a certain facility on your main town. The grid based construction is a bit too old school, specially if you are used to the freedom of games like Cities Skylines for example.

OneUh8

Great game and surprisingly deep in late game, you rarely feel that you have reach the end on the "tech tree" (not really a tech tree). You'll be constantly in search for different raw materials in a series of islands to produce something that is needed to improve a certain facility on your main town. The grid based construction is a bit too old school, specially if you are used to the freedom of games like Cities Skylines for example.

So it is more of a city builder with resource management?

Adam M

Yes it's weird. But I remember it clearly that there were games that had lower discounts (or even none) in Winter sale.

Hard to predict all of these, you can put logic behind every theory :D

But hard to make a bad deal with a 67% off discount. I can't really see why would they offer better deal for DOOM next time, 67% off on a 2016 game is already damn good. But if the game has an already low price like Max Payne 3 or other older games then you can take the risk and wait because if it ends up with 30% during the winter sale then it's still not a big damage for you but if you do this with DOOM and DOOM will have 30% off at the winter sales then you will regret not buying it with 67% off

OneUh8

Yeah, city building and trade are much more prominent than combat.

Thanks to the both of you. Think I will pick it up!

Shepard

GOG isn't doing a huge Black Friday sale right now, but they will have more sales throughout December. I intend it pick up a few games there rather than Steam.
My dream is seeing gog games activating on steam and vice-versa (the opposite a lot less likely, I know). Also, I think this is the first steam sale where I buy absolutely nothing. :/

Grief.exe

Was hoping to see Papers Please on sale so I could finally pick it up. Oh well, maybe the Christmas sale!

That's strange, I wonder if he was unavailable. Great game, very relevant right now.

ZWJGxx5.png

Thanks. Might buy the Dawn Shadow controller, it looks pretty.

I just got my Dawn Shadow controller delivered this morning after ordering it Thursday. Surprised at how fast the Microsoft Store's free shipping was.

I've been playing on hard and it hasn't been too difficult outside of a few optional battles early in the game. You can retry a battle immediately if you are defeated without having to reload a save. Just make sure you have enough CP for S-Crafts going into boss battles and you'll be okay.

Benedict

It's generally pretty easy. Occasionally you'll get spikes for certain boss fights, but it's never anything too difficult.

I got stuck on a boss late in the game, somewhere underground.
Made me lose the interest in TitS since I didn't really know what to do about it. Was maybe 1-2 years ago. Haven't touched it since, but I'd like to continue.
One of the gripes I have with JRPGs.

MUnited83

For you.

It's also worth noting that there is a sizeable portion of games that don't have any discounts now that will have some in the winter, they just opted to skip the Autumn sale. So if the game you want ain't discounted in this sale, doesn't mean it won't be discounted in the next.

Costia

Witcher DLC costing almost as much as the GOTY edition is annoying.

Yep. I have the base game on GOG. In my case it might even be worth the extra 5$ to have it on steam. The GOG client didn't work well for me and i ended up downloading and installing everything manually.

NEO0MJ

I just got my Dawn Shadow controller delivered this morning after ordering it Thursday. Surprised at how fast the Microsoft Store's free shipping was.

Sold out at the store, and amazon wants it for $50 ( ._.)

I mean, it's still cheaper but I can't help but feel ripped off.

pa22word

I bought far cry primal because I was interested in the setting, and quickly discovered why I don't like Ubisoft games.

After 6 hours of playtime what was a fun game has turned into a chore. Less of a fun, prehistoric experience and more of a "well, I have nothing better to do with my life today so I guess I'll go kill some more germans but this time with warpaint on instead of swastikas". The entire thing just feels like nothing more than a massively transparent skinner's box, which I mean isn't that bad of a thing in and of itself...if the loop has sufficient depth and good enough rewards to justify it. This game just doesn't. Looking through the skill trees and at least 80% of it just looks like either completely pointless fluff to make an already easy game even more easy or stat bonuses to make the resource grind less of a chore. The gameplay itself is so shallow that after about 2 hours you've essentially seen everything the game has to offer anyways, so the copy/paste quests to grind out population just becomes a head-to-brick wall chore after about the 3rd time you've done each of the what seems like 4 different base quests.

meh, glad I only spent 25 on this instead of whatever I was probably going to pay for watchdogs 2 in a week or so

PantsuJo

I bought far cry primal because I was interested in the setting, and quickly discovered why I don't like Ubisoft games.

After 6 hours of playtime what was a fun game has turned into a chore. Less of a fun, prehistoric experience and more of a "well, I have nothing better to do with my life today so I guess I'll go kill some more germans but this time with warpaint on instead of swastikas". The entire thing just feels like nothing more than a massively transparent skinner's box, which I mean isn't that bad of a thing in and of itself...if the loop has sufficient depth and good enough rewards to justify it. This game just doesn't. Looking through the skill trees and at least 80% of it just looks like either completely pointless fluff to make an already easy game even more easy or stat bonuses to make the resource grind less of a chore. The gameplay itself is so shallow that after about 2 hours you've essentially seen everything the game has to offer anyways, so the copy/paste quests to grind out population just becomes a head-to-brick wall chore after about the 3rd time you've done each of the what seems like 4 different base quests.

meh, glad I only spent 25 on this instead of whatever I was probably going to pay for watchdogs 2 in a week or so
Agree on every point, it's a "weak" game.

Regginator

You've basically summarised the majority of AAA Ubisoft titles of this decade. As weird as this may sound, if you've played one or two of them, you've mechanically pretty much have tried them all.

Grief.exe

You hit the modern AAA target demographic on the head.

pa22word

You've basically summarised the majority of AAA Ubisoft titles of this decade. As weird as this may sound, if you've played one or two of them, you've mechanically pretty much have tried them all.

I have this weird sort of insanity going on with Ubi games. One'll come out with an interesting setting, and I'll go "oh hm maybe this'll be good, it's been about 3 years since I bought their last game maybe they've improved a bit...", I buy it, play it for a handful of hours, and feel like an idiot. Usually spouting something like "never again ubi, never again".

sigh...

In my defense I'm a bit of a history buff, so the settings usually have a lot more draw on me than I would guess most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom