• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale 2016 Thread: Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for Christmas Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, does anybody have recommendations for kid-friendly titles that are on sale right now? My eight year old brother is getting burnt out on his current library (which is understandable, he's played the same four to five games for about a year now), and I was thinking of getting him something new. Ideally nothing above $5, since I wanted to buy a couple of games for him. He easily enjoys anything with a sandbox component, whether it's part of the main game, or a side-mode. For reference, he's put a ton of hours into games like Scribblenauts Unlimited, Kerbal Space Program, and Turbo Dismount. Although he has enjoyed games with a focus on a singleplayer-campaign, it seems to be really hit-or-miss with him. Usually anything that isn't too punishing (or can be dialed down), is accessible, and is visually engaging seems to capture his attention, although he usually ends up dropping titles when he gets stumped. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Oops, forgot to post specs. Might not be super important, but it shouldn't hurt:
i3 550
GTX 650 1GB
4GB RAM
1600x900 Display

Not the best, but surprisingly modest. My sisters use it as well, and I've managed to get stuff like Life is Strange and Overwatch to run on it just fine, without much visual compromise.

My sale haul. Really happy about it.
I'm done with gaming purchases for a while now.

RolSq5L.png

edit: + DOOM via GMG.

jimboton

So recommendations?
OK, so my favorite games are RPGs with a strong adventure aspects, puzzles and the like. Like realtime as well.

Of course played all the Souls games, and love Quest for Glory, Legend of Grimrock 1&2, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (Didn't like the M&M X Legacy though.) Ultima 6 is one of my all time favorite games. I like there to be options but not endless, like procedurally generated weapons.

Picked up Arx Fatalis, Arkane Studios and a fantasy look? also under 2$.

So, any adventure heavy RPGs out there I don't know about? Like dungeon crawlers but some of the older ones haven't aged so well in the interface department, and looking for more exploring/puzzles than a combat experience (never got into Etrian Odyssey all that much for example.)

Anything out there, obscure or not, that I should check out? Open world is ok (Witcher 3!), but they tend to give me an agoraphobic nosebleed sometimes.

Arx Fatalis is an incredible game, great choice. You may also like Ruzar - The Life Stone, similar to Grimrock.

Divinity:Original Sin and Lords of Xulima are rich in exploration, adventure and puzzles, but are not real time.

Serpent in the Staglands is rich in exploration, adventure and puzzles AND is real time as well, but you'll need to deal with late DOS era interface and graphics. "Pretty" in a retro sort of way.

Xanadu: Next is a japanese dungeon crawler full of puzzles and secrets.

Then there's Dungeons & Darkness which I saw mentioned in another thread that seems to be inspired in King's Field (think first person Dark Souls) and may welll be another dungeon crawling gem, though first impressions aren't stellar.

Uzzy

Hi, does anybody have recommendations for kid-friendly titles that are on sale right now? My eight year old brother is getting burnt out on his current library (which is understandable, he's played the same four to five games for about a year now), and I was thinking of getting him something new. Ideally nothing above $5, since I wanted to buy a couple of games for him. He easily enjoys anything with a sandbox component, whether it's part of the main game, or a side-mode. For reference, he's put a ton of hours into games like Scribblenauts Unlimited, Kerbal Space Program, and Turbo Dismount. Although he has enjoyed games with a focus on a singleplayer-campaign, it seems to be really hit-or-miss with him. Usually anything that isn't too punishing (or can be dialed down), is accessible, and is visually engaging seems to capture his attention, although he usually ends up dropping titles when he gets stumped. Thanks in advance!

A lot of the Lego games are quite cheap at the moment. They seem like they'd suit those requirements perfectly.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Dumb question (since yall have no idea what games I have), but I've got $14 left in Steam credit - any suggestions? Considering Project CARS, Chroma Squad, Enter the Gungeon or maybe Wasteland 2.

A lot of the Lego games are quite cheap at the moment. They seem like they'd suit those requirements perfectly.
Is there a general consensus on the best titles in this series? He isn't particularly a fan of any of the licenses used, as far as I know. I guess if any would interest him, it might be Batman, though there's three of them. These don't really expect the player to learn any context beforehand, right?

Vargavinter

Dumb question (since yall have no idea what games I have), but I've got $14 left in Steam credit - any suggestions? Considering Project CARS, Chroma Squad, Enter the Gungeon or maybe Wasteland 2.

I got Far Cary 4 for 15 euro last night and I'm having a blast. I played the shit out of Far Cry 3 and had a real good time, so ive been waiting for 4 to get reasonable cheap. Can't say if the story are good or not since I just play Far Cry-games for the chaos. :)

Tektonic

When will we know (via steamspy) if the NMS "update" promise had the desired effect of encouraging sales (especially with a oh so conveniently timed 40% discount) ;)

Tenrius

I started The Way and it's... unpleasant. Its approach to checkpoints is borderline insulting (having to repeat a bunch of somewhat easy stuff before getting to a diffcult point). Feels like a very much unnecessary impementation of a misunderstood "retro" vision.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to post specs. Might not be super important, but it shouldn't hurt:
i3 550
GTX 650 1GB
4GB RAM
1600x900 Display

Not the best, but surprisingly modest. My sisters use it as well, and I've managed to get stuff like Life is Strange and Overwatch to run on it just fine, without much visual compromise.

Garry's Mod might be fun for the weird sandbox elements. I haven't played Beseige but it sounds like it may be a lot of fun.

The Lego games are basically interchangeable, but have no sandbox element. Coop though.

I decieded to pass on Shadow Warrior 2 since Death Wing is coming out soon.

Still on the fence about Gal*Gun and Rabi-Ribi. I wish those and EDF were a tad cheaper.

Is The Division worthwhile @ $25?

Really depends on your taste. I got it for 99cents and I didnt care for it. But this was at launch and I know they have put alot of work into it.

So I just bought INSIDE in the sale, and played through the whole thing in 1 sitting (about 3.5 hours).

Holy. crap. I didn't like Limbo very much, but loved this. And the last hour or so is a complete brainfreak.

Garry's Mod might be fun for the weird sandbox elements.
It's one I've considered, but some of the base HL2 content, and the lack of an option to disable online features have turned me away from it.

I haven't played Beseige but it sounds like it may be a lot of fun.
From first glance I was sold on it, but then I saw the blood. It seems like you can disable it, but I'm going to look a little more into it before I make a final decision. This is still the best suggestion so far, haha.

The Lego games are basically interchangeable, but have no sandbox element. Coop though.
I'm probably going to have to drop money on a second controller, because now that I think about it, he pretty much plays anything when he has a player 2.

Thanks for the input!

Uzzy

So I just bought INSIDE in the sale, and played through the whole thing in 1 sitting (about 3.5 hours).

Holy. crap. I didn't like Limbo very much, but loved this. And the last hour or so is a complete brainfreak.

It's a phenomenal game, and will easily get into my top five games of the year for the SteamGAF awards. That ending is something very special.

GRaider81

Loving Grim Dawn, finding it way more enjoyable than D3.

Hard West is a pretty cool game, interesting take with the xcom formula.

Also a couple of hours into Spec Ops the line to see what the fuss is about, seems good so far if not a little repetitive.

Pretty pleased with my pick ups, im still on the fence about getting FC primal and im also looking at Tales of Zestira. What is the combat like, is it turn based?

Edit: just looked it up, looks like it isn't turn based. Can anyone recommend a fairly recent turn based jrpg?

Abhor

Man, I finally got a big SSD, but reading up on ESO's combat is... disappointing.

Why so? Perhaps try watching some recent YouTube videos of both first and third person combat. I personally think it's just fine, like a mix of Skyrim and Guild Wars 2.

I liked Division at launch, but it's a lot better now. Loot is actually fun, and there's more stuff to do outside of the Dark Zone once you beat the campaign.

But if that's just $25 for the main game, I'd wait until you can get the Underground DLC and the upcoming Last Stand DLC too.

illusionary

I think that these should still work, but there's a possibility that they may have been redeemed - apologies if that turns out to be the case.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (illusionary, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

xheRJRF.gif
Postal 2 Complete -- MB-8B7110A0EC727FB7 - Taken by Guyver. 2 entrants total.
Crystals of Time -- MB-7729E4D64D9ACC52 - Taken by Hakkelus. 1 entrants total.

t1480219739z1.png

Moltenix

Was thinking of getting RE5 ($6.99 CAD) but getting the 4/5/6 bundle would only cost me $14.60 CAD since i already have 4. Would RE6 be worth the extra 7 bucks?

I've actually gotten 6 before and refunded it before my 2 hours was up. The first bit of Leon's campaign wasn't terrible but I guess I was put off by how differently it controlled. Dunno if I should give it another shot. I could do RE5 + Evil Within instead, or all 3 maybe, hmmm.

KtSlime

Does anyone know if I can purchase a game from the Steam App while in a different country from my computer? I will be visiting my parents soon, but my computer is a desktop and it is too much of a hassle to bring it with me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does anyone know if I can purchase a game from the Steam App while in a different country from my computer? I will be visiting my parents soon, but my computer is a desktop and it is too much of a hassle to bring it with me.

You can. There's a "Store" section in the menu that offers a handful of quick links and last year Valve redesigned the store's region detection system to facilitate purchasing while abroad. Just remember that you're expected to continue purchasing from your usual region (you can change regions via the cart or account details pages if need be -- one option is determined by your current IP and the other by the region within which you last completed a purchase).

Grief.exe

Why can I write a review for Arma 3 right now?

Any thoughts on Don't Starve? There are so many. Which should I start off with to try it out? I am not sure if there is a sequel to it?

Don't Starve is one of my favorite games. I recommend going into it blind and learning through your failures, but you should play it accordingly with your personal tastes.

If you want to play alone, then grab Don't Starve + Reign of the Giants DLC for $5. Don't Starve Together contains the DLC in the base game, but is balanced for co-op play. Shipwrecked is the sequel developed by Capy and recently released.

I think it can be had for cheaper than that.

It's fine for a loot-based shooter, will likely go better with friends to help polish some of the rough edges.

It has some interesting elements like the Dark Zone and recent survivor DLC ($15), but if you are interested in those elements I would probably recommend Arma 3, Rust, Day Z, et al.

Really depends on your taste. I got it for 99cents and I didnt care for it. But this was at launch and I know they have put alot of work into it.

I picked the game up at Newegg as well, with the same end result.

KtSlime

You can. There's a "Store" section in the menu that offers a handful of quick links and last year Valve redesigned the store's region detection system to facilitate purchasing while abroad. Just remember that you're expected to continue purchasing from your usual region (you can change regions via the cart or account details pages if need be -- one option is determined by your current IP and the other by the region within which you last completed a purchase).

Thanks, that's great to know.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why can I write a review for Arma 3 right now?

I'm not seeing the review box when logged into my alt account, and neither of our accounts have played the game before, so it's definitely a bug. I wonder if the system would actually accept the submission.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I'm not seeing the review box when logged into my alt account, and neither of our accounts have played the game before, so it's definitely a bug. I wonder if the system would actually accept the submission.

You've got so many games they won't fit on one account?!

Interesting. I jumped in at the free weekend for Ark SE and had that review bug but I didn't know it could happen to random games never linked to one's account. Learn something every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom