• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS4-

Traded keys for:
Risk of Rain
Game Dev Tycoon for like a buck, dude wanted 20 cards

Stuff I wish I got:
Papers, Please
Spelunky

Will wait for:
Volgarr
Valdis

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
jshackles—though I claimed Obulis over four hours after the raffle ended, there were supposedly six entrants. Wondering what that's about. If one of you five poor souls who entered the raffle for it is reading this, PM me within 24 hours and I'll send you the code. I don't want to claim something that should have been won by somebody else. Otherwise: thanks dude.

So far I have purchased one game: Tetrobot & Co. At $6 T&C is "expensive", I know. But if you're a puzzle game fan who's been sleeping through this sale, I urge you to consider it. Blocks That Matter had potential, but largely missed the mark outside of the Humble Bundle update; this follow-up is improved in every measure I can think of.

Might pick up The Bridge tomorrow. Undecided.

Aaron

Besides the Tomb Raider 2013, how are other Tomb Raider games in terms of gameplay and story?
The Legend / Underworld story is decent. Starts out Indiana Jones light and turns somewhat Buffy by the end, though the star is still the environment puzzles.

Firebrand

Hmm, after playing a lot of Enemy Within lately I'm tempted to pick up The Bureau over at GMG. I haven't heard much about it since it came out, maybe for good reasons? I hear the AI squadmates love to stand outside of cover and permadie.

Besides the Tomb Raider 2013, how are other Tomb Raider games in terms of gameplay and story?

Story, I found them all to be bland.

Gameplay? Anniversary is fantastic. Some great puzzles, fantastic platforming and a real sense of isolation. Underworld is great too but is dragged down somewhat by combat sections. But it still looks amazing, has a great sound track and the puzzles and platforming are still very, very good.

Legend and 2013 I would rate about the same. Except 2013 is way way more soulless.

TBH I would just get Anniversary and Underworld and call it a day. Old ones havent aged too well. For like 3 bucks you get the absolute best of TR.

Parsnip

You're in Europe. Even if Alice goes on sale, it'll still be 500€ at 90% off.
(EA really hates Europe)
Yup. I'm fairly certain that I can convince someone to help me out if that happens.

Even more annoying is that its price on Origin is more appropriate, and it's -75% over there right now. It's like they are just rubbing it in my face.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Stanley Parable - $8.99
Valdis $8.99

Which would I probably prefer, I'm a big fan of depth, skill-based play and fun challenge. But also like a good obscure game like Stanley (I've only played a hour of this btw). So, yeah, which would be the better buy for me right now?

Need to save $10 in my wallet for Ikaruga the second it hits the store.

Valdis
more content
free dlc coming(2 news playable characters+Boss Rush)
challenging
Goibnu mode was made for hardcore players
lots of customization too
metroidvania

Thank you!

Jame Retief

Neo Member
jshackles—though I claimed Obulis over four hours after the raffle ended, there were supposedly six entrants. Wondering what that's about. If one of you five poor souls who entered the raffle for it is reading this, PM me within 24 hours and I'll send you the code. I don't want to claim something that should have been won by somebody else. Otherwise: thanks dude.

If I were a betting man, I would wager that those 5 entrants had won something else in the raffle and were not eligible to win Obulis.

My damage from the sale:

Bad Rats (NeoGAF - gift)
Borderlands 2: Headhunter 1 DLC (NeoGAF - gift)
Deus Ex Collection w/ DLC (GreenManGaming - $7.20)
Hitman Pack (GreenManGaming - $7.20)
Hitman: Absolution DLC Collection (Steam - $3.24)
Jamestown (Humble Weekly Bundle/NeoGAF - gift)
Mark of the Ninja (NeoGAF - gift)
Mount & Blade: Warband (Steam - $4.99)
Papo & Yo (IndieGameStand.com - $1.00)
Pinball FX + 5 content packs (Humble Weekly Bundle - $1.00)
Poker Night at the Inventory 2 (Steam - $0.99)
Rogue Legacy (Steam - $5.09)
Space Pirates and Zombies (NeoGAF - gift)
Tomb Raider (Steam - $9.99)
Tomb Raider DLC Collection (Steam - $3.99)
The Walking Dead (GreenManGaming - $5.00)
The Walking Dead - 400 Days DLC (GreenManGaming - $2.00)

Still going to get the IndieGala bundle, but I'm pretty much tapped out. Next on my list is to get a new gaming rig and start working my way through TWD and Tomb Raider.

Hmm, after playing a lot of Enemy Within lately I'm tempted to pick up The Bureau over at GMG. I haven't heard much about it since it came out, maybe for good reasons? I hear the AI squadmates love to stand outside of cover and permadie.

It's not great, but not terrible either. Mechanically it's pretty amazing.

The game is a pretty decent pruchase at 10/15. I didn't feel ripped off for paying full retail price for it.

The AI squadmates are fine provided that you issue them direct move orders and keep them somewhat spread out so they don't gobble grenades. The AI doesn't handle ducking out of cover to dodge grenades well-they do dodge the grenade but are poor at getting back in cover. They are also very poor at taking cover if you just order them to follow you around and you take cover. I would recommend playing on Commander difficultly, I had a good experience with that.

The game has some really nice environments, good core tactical shooter gameplay, and a very unique overall setting. It's better than the reviews made it out to be, especially if you are a fan of the franchise.

Milamber

I was pretty tame in my purchases this Autumn, helps when you are currently playing a Steam game you have vested time into. Come at me Winter!

- Super Hexagon ($0.59)
- Gone Home ($4.99)
- Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Going East! DLC ($3.24)
- Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Halloween Paint Jobs DLC ($0.49)
- Saints Row IV: Season Pass DLC ($3.99)
- Max Payne 3 Complete ($5.50)
- Poker Night 2 ($0.99)
- Age of Empires II HD ($4.99)

Diamond in the rough, I guess. I liked playing it, but it's merely pretty good, not at all great. The best description I've heard is that it's like a cut-down Mass Effect set in the 50s--there's a surprising number of cutscenes involving a Bioware-style dialogue wheel, and the squad-based, ability-oriented combat bears a passing resemblance as well. Yes, the AI does occasionally feel braindead (oh my god STAY BEHIND COVER YOU ASSHOLES) but this is only a problem at the beginning of the game, when you have precious few resources and abilities at your disposal, and at the very end when the game throws everything but the kitchen sink at you. Story's nothing to write home about, though it takes some interesting turns. You have to have some patience for dialogue trees, though.

It's been on sale a bunch of times in the past, so I wouldn't necessarily worry about picking it up this sale (especially since it hasn't been a daily, to my knowledge). It's worth waiting for the holiday sale to see if it goes cheaper.

Oh, one random note: performance was oddly poor on my i5 3570k/Radeon 6950 2GB. It wasn't horrible or anything, but the framerate would chug at times. Also, so much piss filter--and I'm usually someone who can ignore the piss filter look pretty easily in games.

Very tempted by Enslaved (at the Amazon price of 9.99). Trying to talk myself out of it...but considering that's likely to be the price at the winter sale...

I AM waiting for the last set of Flash sales before pulling the trigger on a couple things, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna walk out of this sale with not much spent.

Outlast
FEZ
Don't Starve
Rouge Legacy
Shadow Warrior
Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut (as soon as I see it not on the flash sale, anyway).
Enslaved (if I ever decide if I wanna double-dip for 9.99 on that).

I waived on TWAU, but TWD (too many TW's at Telltale) Season 2 starts this month, and I don't think my body is ready for two awesome Telltale series simultaneously.

Oh, also, if we're doing the tally thing now:

Rogue Legacy ($5.09)
Euro Truck Simulator 2: Going East! ($3.24)

I might potentially pick up Dust: An Elysian Tale and The Stanley Parable tomorrow morning, but all told this would be the least I've spent in a Steam sale in ages.

Of course, there's also these:

Far Cry 3 ($7.49 via Amazon.com)
Battlefield 4 Premium ($40 via Green Man Gaming)

Forgive me if this is common knowledge, but am I able to buy the Tomb Raider Collection in such a way that I can give away the keys for the games I already own / don't want?

Forgive me if this is common knowledge, but am I able to buy the Tomb Raider Collection in such a way that I can give away the keys for the games I already own / don't want?

Most Steam collections don't allow this (Valve collections tend to be an exception to this)

don't think that one does, tbh.
It'd say on the page for the collection if you can do it or not.

I finally got Deadly Premonition working after messing with it for a whole hour. It seems I can get the game to run without the Durante fix, but as soon as I add the fix I get a black screen.

I'm going to mess around with the Durante settings a little bit and see what went wrong, if I still can't get the fix to work. Then I'm going to have to play this game in all it's 720p goodness. It maybe because I have Win8 that I'm having so many problems, that's usually always the reason.

Jawmuncher

Not on Steam, no. Giftable copies of games already owned are only given in special cases.

This is something I feel Valve needs to fix.
It's already a pain with bundle keys but understandable. But buying from steam itself you should be able to get gift's if you already own the certain games in the pack.

Grief.exe

I finally got Deadly Premonition working after messing with it for a whole hour. It seems I can get the game to run without the Durante fix, but as soon as I add the fix I get a black screen.

I'm going to mess around with the Durante settings a little bit and see what went wrong, if I still can't get the fix to work. Then I'm going to have to play this game in all it's 720p goodness.

Did you read the readme?

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I'm going to mess around with the Durante settings a little bit and see what went wrong, if I still can't get the fix to work. Then I'm going to have to play this game in all it's 720p goodness.

Did you read the readme?
I had the same problem unfortunately. The readme doesn't really give any advice other than it should work. lol

My purchases have been pretty tame.

Had some spare change in my wallet from selling some cards, so cs:go is lower than usually when it went on sale.

CS GO: $3.15
Dust: An Elysian Tail: $3.74
Age of Empires 2 HD: $4.99
La-Mulana: $2.99
Payday: The Heist: $1.99
Tomb Raider Legend: $1.39

Gifts:
ShadowRun Returns
The Showdown Effect

Not expecting a dent in my wallet for Winter. Come at me Valve!!!

Tizoc

Grabbed Natural selection at 2.49.
Will wait til the last flash, if Enslaved isn't one of them I'll get it from amazon if its still on sale.
...Or should I wait til the Winter Seal? I don't like using my CC a lot to buy stuff @_@

Grabbed Natural selection at 2.49.
Will wait til the last flash, if Enslaved isn't one of them I'll get it from amazon if its still on sale.
...Or should I wait til the Winter Seal? I don't like using my CC a lot to buy stuff @_@

I feel Enslaved is one you can wait on. I enjoyed it, but I think $5-$7.50 is about right and even then it isn't amazing or anything.

Lain

It was a raffle. Out of 6 people that entered for that game, you were picked and won it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom