• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I had known this about 28 hours ago. Oh well, only cost me $5 anyway.
Assuming you already have the original and got the upgrade, the DC is still very much worth it for the commentary. I just want to give some warnings as the vanilla release has a finite quantity going forward.

where did you buy the directors cut for $5? i wanna buy it for $5 .__.

It's $5 on Steam if you own the original game and The Missing Link DLC. Using this trick, it's giftable, so someone can help you out there if need be.

Yeah, that. Automatic 75% discount since launch if you own the vanilla and the Missing Link DLC. Just decided to buy it now since I put some cash in my Steam wallet for the sale.

Assuming you already have the original and got the upgrade, the DC is still very much worth it for the commentary. I just want to give some warnings as the vanilla release has a finite quantity going forward.

It also has Steam cards, the DC. Kinda shitty to not include cards for the base, but that might have to do with them removing it entirely from the store.

Oh god. I'm getting the shakes again.

I know those feels. Between the WB Humble Bundle, the Pinball Humble Weekly, today's IGS deal and the DX pack, I've only dropped less than $15 on games. All I need are one or two more big deals - I'm hoping for either Fallout NV or Tomb Raider. Maybe Absolution tomorrow as well for $7.50.

Derrick01

Banned

I can't think of a single wrpg I've ever played that had good combat, past or present. They're all turn based and/or dice roll driven or really janky real time combat like Bethesda's games and the Risens and Witcher 2. It's not what the genre excels at.

Tesseract

Banned
man i give up trying to buy castlevania from nuuvem, the site is a pain in the ass to navigate. maybe steam's daily will be 75%

:(

Oh yeah, and to followup on me buying Papers Please at the recommendation of some GAFers in this thread, I love it. Would definitely recommend it to anyone else on the fence about it.

Tellaerin

I can't think of a single wrpg I've ever played that had good combat, past or present. They're all turn based and/or dice roll driven or really janky real time combat like Bethesda's games and the Risens and Witcher 2. It's not what the genre excels at.

...so if the RPG genre doesn't excel at tactical, turn-based, die-roll-driven combat, what sort of combat does it excel at?

So EnhancedSteam said Borderlands 2 was cheapest at Nuuvem. I go Nuuvem, try to add Borderlands 2 to my cart, but it says it's not available in my region. I thought Nuuvem worked in the USA?

I was about to purchase CitiesXL, then I clicked in for a preview and it said "My boss forced me to make a dubstep trailer..." Your boss made a bad decision and now I am not buying your game. Great job!

KarmaCow

Risk of Rain's timer based difficulty has a lot more depth to it than I expected. It turns scavenging, especially at the end of levels into an actual dilemma instead of just a laborious clean up. It plays well with the classic rogue-like dependence on the RNG for good item spawns that can completely shape a run.

I just got to the 4th world for the first time and ending up having to kite about 30 enemies before dying. I haven't tried co-op but it seems like it would make things much easier solely because there is another target for the enemies.

Derrick01

Banned
...so if the RPG genre doesn't excel at tactical, turn-based, die-roll-driven combat, what sort of combat does it excel at?

I just said they don't excel at combat at all. It's all about their freedom of choice with using different skills to solve things in various ways, or their stories/writing and the exploration factor.

Grief.exe

Totally. I'd say I've been having more fun with indies than AAA titles over the last couple years.

I've become completely disenfranchised with the AAA market over the last several years as well.
They are going after that 12 year old male demographic at this point. Kind of ironic considering the majority of gamers are older and have a higher disposable income.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
What is Dont Starve like? In my mind I imagine its game play similar to something like minecraft.

It isn't focused at all on building and there's no mining. There are things you can craft, but it's all taken right out of a menu. It's a bit unguided like Minecraft but much more about survival in a strange world. The title is pretty much what you do at the start, try to gather food and make something of a camp while exploring the world and finding new things.

Alex

What is Dont Starve like? In my mind I imagine its game play similar to something like minecraft.

Kinda... Much more gamey and challenging, though. Obviously more survival slanted.

Minecrafts survival bits basically end night one, despite how people liked to rave about that first night.

I just said they don't excel at combat at all. It's all about their freedom of choice with using different skills to solve things in various ways, or their stories/writing and the exploration factor.

What if the RPG has combat as a mechanic that is needed in game?

It's automatically written off?

How hipster and unchristian of you.

KarmaCow

Sorta I guess. It's like that first day of Minecraft where you're trying to gather resources to survive the night. It's focused on that aspect rather than building structures so it's much difficult but yea, it's basically just how long you can last gathering resources to survive each night (and eventually Winter).

Are people buying XCOM are aware you can get all this for $9.95 from Amazon and its a Steam key for all of it?

XCOM: Enemy Unknown
XCOM: Enemy Unknown: Slingshot Pack DLC
XCOM: Enemy Unknown: Elite Soldier Pack DLC
X-COM: Apocalypse
X-COM: Enforcer
X-COM: Interceptor
X-COM: Terror from the Deep
X-COM: UFO Defense

Single key or multi?

I've become completely disenfranchised with the AAA market over the last several years as well.
They are going after that 12 year old male demographic at this point. Kind of ironic considering the majority of gamers are older and have a higher disposable income.

It always baffles me and I hope the whole star citizen thing might open some eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom