• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

I just said they don't excel at combat at all. It's all about their freedom of choice with using different skills to solve things in various ways, or their stories/writing and the exploration factor.

I'm willing to let a lot of the stuff you say pass unchallenged, Derrick. Everyone has a right to an opinion, regardless of how off-base I may think it is. But if you're going to sit there and tell me with a straight face that Western-style RPG's, which are an outgrowth of tabletop RPG's, which were originally spawned from miniatures wargames, cannot excel at combat, I'm going to call bullshit. Tactical, turn-based, die-roll-driven combat systems are not inherently bad just because you say so, just like the games that spawned those systems aren't inherently bad because you either don't like them or aren't interested in them. It's about as meaningful as saying that chess sucks because it doesn't play like Devil May Cry.

I'm not going to disagree with you about the importance of player freedom and exploration in WRPG's. I think those are important. But saying that no Western RPG excels at combat is pretty laughable.

I put 4hrs into Bioshock Infinite so far. I'm having a ton of fun, but I think I might need to spike the difficulty. I'm breezing through normal mode right now. I'm barely even using the vigors, the only time I use them is when the game reminds me to do so during combat.

I love the setting of the game, and the shooting is great. Something I really like is that it's not one of those "iron sights is needed to shoot accurately" kind of shooters. I've been really addicted to hip fire only shooter games for a while so I'm glad I bought it.

I put 4hrs into Bioshock Infinite so far. I'm having a ton of fun, but I think I might need to spike the difficulty. I'm breezing through normal mode right now. I'm barely even using the vigors, the only time I use them is when the game reminds me to do so during combat.

I love the setting of the game, and the shooting is great. Something I really like is that it's not one of those "iron sights is needed to shoot accurately" kind of shooters. I've been really addicted to hip fire only shooter games for a while so I'm glad I bought it.
When you reach the bosses, you might want to turn it back.

Here's a couple keys...put over 600 hours into this game.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Binding of Isaac Wrath of Lamb DLC #2 -- MB-2CD62D3A67148EF9 - Taken by bkw
Binding of Isaac Wrath of Lamb DLC -- MB-963851488B146708 - Taken by Sullichin
Binding of Isaac #2 -- MB-9132D6B7A73A5D1B - Taken by Anteater
Binding of Isaac -- MB-18C70DC736260809 - Taken by MarcoZombieCannon

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So why isn't Enemy Within on sale /at all/? It's not like it literally just came out, it's been a decent amount of time.

It came out 17 days ago. It's on sale at GetGames though for $22.

ModBot said:
Instructions for HP_Wuvcraft:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Game #3 -- MB-88A2943DFFF3EB42 - Taken by crazyrabbits
Mystery Game #2 -- MB-75AD93DDCC0C0133 - Taken by NingenJanai
Mystery Game #1 -- MB-92A7CD34CF9C3006 - Taken by Gez

In the spirit of giving, here are three mystery games of which I will explain what games they are because I didn't ModBot right:

Mystery Game #3, aka Wattle Gobbler, because it's Thanksgiving and stuff.
Mystery Game #2, aka Costume Quest, because don't look at me like that I like Halloween and you can go jump into an oven.
Mystery Game #3 is a mystery.

In the spirit of giving, here are three mystery games of which I will explain what games they are because I didn't ModBot right:

Mystery Game #2, aka Costume Quest, because don't look at me like that I like Halloween and you can go jump into an oven.

Thanks for Costume Quest !

Holy moley, I actually won #3! I owe you bigtime, Mr. Wuvcraft. PM me and add me on Steam - once I get trading fully sorted out, I'll send you something.

EDIT: It's a Borderlands 2 DLC. I was thinking of buying the game anyway. Thank you!

Card Boy

Banned

Thanks! i don't have that DLC for BL2.

UnrealEck

Better than Borderlands 1 as it actually has abit of story now.

I thought BL1 was really boring playing alone. I'm willing to play online if you can do some sort of match making but I get the impression from the Steam discussions that it's full of cheaters with inflated stats.

So how's Borderlands 2 if you've got zero Steam pals?

Boring and really repetitive. The only reason I got far in the game was because I was bored so I just pushed through it. Most of the missions is fetch this, kill this, or go here. The game tries to mix it up by using vehicle missions sometimes, but they aren't fun to do either.

I'd say go for it if you don't mind the repetitive mission structure. Sometimes it's worth it just to get a powerful gun in the game and see what it does, and some of the characters are interesting.

My experience with it is single player only. I never played with anyone because none of my Steam friends are still playing it at the moment.

Oublieux

So how's Borderlands 2 if you've got zero Steam pals?

There's the above comments, but picking a character you vibe with also matters. I started out with Zero and was bored out of my mind. Restarted from scratch using Gaige, the mechromancer, and went on a rampaging spree giggling all the way through.

FloatOn

I know this thread is mainly for sale madness so I'll be brief:

why the hell didn't you guys tell me Witcher 2 was this good? I'm full on addicted to this. It's been sitting in my backlog for far too long.

For those that don't have it yet. When it pops up on sale (which it will) buy with confidence!

I'm nearing the end of chapter 2 and I can easily say that this my second favorite rpg from this past generation (right behind Dark Souls)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I prefer The Witcher 1's world to that of 2 and the click-wait-click combat eventually grew on me somewhat (which isn't to say it's better, but rather just that I didn't hate it), so I prefer it, and collecting the sex cards was a neat little game in itself (I can understand why CDPR ditched them for the sequel, but another novel collectable in their stead would have been nice).

why the hell didn't you guys tell me Witcher 2 was this good? I'm full on addicted to this. It's been sitting in my backlog for far too long.

For those that don't have it yet. When it pops up on sale (which it will) buy with confidence!

I'm nearing the end of chapter 2 and I can easily say that this my second favorite rpg from this past generation (right behind Dark Souls)
I tried to tell you.

Relax.MX

The first one is even better...

Dr Dogg

CDPR should seek you out for a box quote review.

If a game can cause you to have sleepless nights because you have unfinished business and get up in the small hours of the morning to put it to rest it's alright in my book.

-RealityExists

Oublieux

The first one is even better...

The first one had a compelling story, but the rhythmic battle system tended to get a tad repetitive. There was a bunch of backtracking I was not particularly a fan of either. Overall, though, I'd say both games were pretty damn fun. The first one still has its moments.

FloatOn

Once I get through Witcher 2 (as much as I'd like to play the first I doubt I'll have time. I'll definitely read the plot synopsis though) the plan is to get through Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

And then hopefully I can knock out some ps3 games that I missed:

last of us
red dead redemption
demon souls
vanquish

once all of this is done I think I'll allow myself to either upgrade my pc or get a ps4. And wow, sorry for unloading this but the thought of backlog is ever present in the forefront of my mind. Maybe you can relate?

Once I get through Witcher 2 (as much as I'd like to play the first I doubt I'll have time. I'll definitely read the plot synopsis though) the plan is to get through Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

And then hopefully I can knock out some ps3 games that I missed:

last of us
red dead redemption
demon souls
vanquish

once all of this is done I think I'll allow myself to either upgrade my pc or get a ps4. And wow, sorry for unloading this but the thought of backlog is ever present in the forefront of my mind. Maybe you can relate?
I need to play The Last of Us and Red Dead.

Grief.exe

I thought BL1 was really boring playing alone. I'm willing to play online if you can do some sort of match making but I get the impression from the Steam discussions that it's full of cheaters with inflated stats.

GOTY edition is $15 here.
I'm still a bit on the fence.

If you thought Borderlands 1 was boring, than you won't find much difference in the sequel.

Playing online doesn't make it much more fun, unless you have a few other really good friends that you have. That doesn't make the game good, but their company certainly does.

Just started Last of Us tonight! Its pretty good.

The amount of polish and cinematic flair is quite good.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just started Last of Us tonight! Its pretty good.

The amount of polish and cinematic flair is quite good.

I really liked the first hour of Last of Us. After that, it got kinda meh for me.

But you're right it's a very pretty game, hope you enjoy it! :)

Tellaerin

And now to wait patiently for the Alpha Protocol sale price to kick in on Amazon...

Edit: (If that's a horrible idea on my part, jump in and stop me before I pull the trigger, guys.)

Sajjaja

Anyone know why I'm getting low FPS in both Risk of Rain AND Rogue Legacy.... like...wtf....this should not be happening. I'm reading it might have to do with the game not getting proper XNA permissions or NET Framework 4.0 issues (doing a reinstall of that after my cleanup of its files).

Any ideas :S

I know my toaster is shitty but damn...it's not THAT shitty.

Dr Dogg

I really liked the first hour of Last of Us. After that, it got kinda meh for me.

But you're right it's a very pretty game, hope you enjoy it! :)

Hahaha I said something similar when I finished it after it came out (plodding gameplay, by the numbers encounters) and got dog piled on by half the thread. Turns out that's a common opinion with a fair few peeps now. Still was a very memorable experience.

BruteUA

Anyone know why I'm getting low FPS in both Risk of Rain AND Rogue Legacy.... like...wtf....this should not be happening. I'm reading it might have to do with the game not getting proper XNA permissions or NET Framework 4.0 issues (doing a reinstall of that after my cleanup of its files).

Any ideas :S

I know my toaster is shitty but damn...it's not THAT shitty.

Rogue Legacy runs extremely crappy for me, too. I haven't tried to reinstall the NET Framework, but if you come across any other solutions besides "hurr durr get a new card", I'd love if you could share them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

RDR will come to the PC one day.

eleanorb9l6r.gif

And now to wait patiently for the Alpha Protocol sale price to kick in on Amazon...

Edit: (If that's a horrible idea on my part, jump in and stop me before I pull the trigger, guys.)

Alpha Protocol is best described as ambitious but flawed. The general consensus among RPG enthusiasts is that it's rewarding if you can put up with the bugs and overall jankiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom