• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

And now to wait patiently for the Alpha Protocol sale price to kick in on Amazon...

Edit: (If that's a horrible idea on my part, jump in and stop me before I pull the trigger, guys.)

No no no Alpha Protocol is a very good game that really didn't deserve the critical panning it got. It's not perfect by any means, pretty flawed in some places, but it's not nearly as bad as the general media consensus seems to think.

Time to unleash the horror. . .
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

It's a secret to everybody -- MB-FDCB319E8BD25B2B - Taken by Servizio. 39 entrants total.

t1385711946z1.png
It was Neighbors From Hell Compilation

zkylon

zkylewd
went through gone home in one sitting (not a very long game), it's pretty nice

I liked it a lot more than dear esther and the path as far as non-games go, it's just cool and intriguing, and shenmueing things is fun for some reason

plus the 90s setting fills me with nostalgia, which kinda made the whole thing all the more bittersweet

lovely game

RDR will come to the PC one day.

eleanorb9l6r.gif
yeah, and the wheelman too!

milena87

And now to wait patiently for the Alpha Protocol sale price to kick in on Amazon...

Edit: (If that's a horrible idea on my part, jump in and stop me before I pull the trigger, guys.)

I already bought Alpha Protocol twice (on Xbox and PC retail) and I plan to buy it again for Steam. That's how much I loved the game.
I say go for it, you'll find a great game under some clumsy gameplay (use stealth, pistol and sabotage) and not-so-great graphics.

Knurek

No no no Alpha Protocol is a very good game that really didn't deserve the critical panning it got. It's not perfect by any means, pretty flawed in some places, but it's not nearly as bad as the general media consensus seems to think.

It's not a very good game by any means. It's a great RPG, true, non-linear as fuck (The Witcher 2 wishes it was 10% as non-linear as this game), has a fun story, great characters, etc, but the actual game parts (shooting, sneaking around, etc) are terrible.

Grief.exe

RDR will come to the PC one day.

eleanorb9l6r.gif

I don't see why they wouldn't put a small team on a x86/x64 for a next-gen console and PC port.
Once the install base for the consoles get large enough release and rake in the profits. I'm sure the PC version alone will get into the black.

Chances Deus Ex: HR Directors Cut goes on sale? It's currently not marked down, wondering if I should just bite the bullet at amazon for 3.99.

Dat developer commentary tho

Gazoinks

It's not a very good game by any means. It's a great RPG, true, non-linear as fuck (The Witcher 2 wishes it was 10% as non-linear as this game), has a fun story, great characters, etc, but the actual game parts (shooting, sneaking around, etc) are terrible.

Fair enough. I actually didn't have huge issues with the gameplay though. It's not brilliant, but I found it pretty serviceable, and I liked how different it felt depending on what you chose to specialize in. Playing a game as Pistols & Stealth and then going through again as a maniac who kicked everyone in the face was pretty satisfying.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't see why they wouldn't put a small team on a x86/x64 for a next-gen console and PC port.
Once the install base for the consoles get large enough release and rake in the profits. I'm sure the PC version alone will get into the black.

I think a re-release circa a next-gen Red Dead is a distinct possibility.

Knurek

Fair enough. I actually didn't have huge issues with the gameplay though. It's not brilliant, but I found it pretty serviceable, and I liked how different it felt depending on what you chose to specialize in. Playing a game as Pistols & Stealth and then going through again as a maniac who kicked everyone in the face was pretty satisfying.

Let me tell you about the hacking minigame played on M+KB... *shudders*

zkylon

zkylewd
also gone home made me a bit weepy -_-

I'm such a girl

eh, the sneaking isn't so bad. it's abstracted to all hell to the point you can turn invisible and it's super clunky and simplistic, but it's enjoyable to a degree.

shooting tho is terrible

And Tintin and King Kong and Anno 1404!
rdr isn't THAT good you know

like that mexico part blows hard

then again what the hell do you care :p

Dr Dogg

Funnily reading Derrick's views on WRPGs the last few pages it makes me think he's basing his opinions on just the likes of TES and Alpha Protocol (character choice, word centric gameplay). Granted the likes of Baulders Gate and even more so Icewind Dale are not for the faint of heart but combat and strategy really sines in those two series'.

On the subject of Alpha Protocol, it does offer a very robust conversation system that doesn't flat out make a mockery of your choices (like Mass Effects bright red and blue renegade and paragon choices) but the combat is very much a mixed bag. It still carries all the hallmarks of stat based decisions regards to accuracy and damage but give you TPS style controls so can be a bit jarring for those not used to decision based combat when your perfectly lined up headshot misses by a mile. Though pistols and stealth are the way to go it flat out breaks the balance of some sections, to the point where you're invisible right under someone's nose.

Don't let that deter you though as it is a rather unique game and generally the only espionage, spy based rpg in modern times. Well worth a punt at the usually cheap price on sale when it becomes a daily (and it will).

JaseC

rdr isn't THAT good you know

like that mexico part blows hard

then again what the hell do you care :p

It's not particularly great, sure, but it has a big world filled with a ton of mundane crap to do, which I love. ;)

Shadowplay1979

Gold Member
RDR will be released for pc in a year when the next RDR comes out exclusive to consoles just so they can rake in some extra cash on a wave of rdr hype off us few who didnt own any last gen consoles

Knurek

It's not particularly great, sure, but it has a big world filled with a ton of mundane crap to do, which I love. ;)

JaseC, why aren't you playing LEGO games?

I've been on-and-offing LEGO LOTR, there's a lot of things to do in the game, I'd wager more than in AC games (and it's more fun to do it in the LEGO games as well).

JaseC

JaseC, why aren't you playing LEGO games?

I've been on-and-offing LEGO LOTR, there's a lot of things to do in the game, I'd wager more than in AC games (and it's more fun to do it in the LEGO games as well).

I adore the Lego games. I started playing through Lego Indy a while back and have been meaning to get back to it.

Grief.exe

On the subject of Alpha Protocol, it does offer a very robust conversation system that doesn't flat out make a mockery of your choices (like Mass Effects bright red and blue renegade and paragon choices) but the combat is very much a mixed bag. It still carries all the hallmarks of stat based decisions regards to accuracy and damage but give you TPS style controls so can be a bit jarring for those not used to decision based combat when your perfectly lined up headshot misses by a mile. Though pistols and stealth are the way to go it flat out breaks the balance of some sections, to the point where you're invisible right under someone's nose.

Don't let that deter you though as it is a rather unique game and generally the only espionage, spy based rpg in modern times. Well worth a punt at the usually cheap price on sale when it becomes a daily (and it will).

Well, you convinced me.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
How is Duck Tales Remastered? It's half off now at GMG
If you like older style platformers, pretty good.
The only real issue's are the cutscenes. They make you feel like your playing a short Ducktales episode but at the same time, they take away some of the flow. And after retrying/playing a level for the fifth time...
You can skip them with two buttons, but some levels have way too much of them.

It's a good deal if you like this kind of platformer, or if your a Ducktales fan. It's a short game, though. Three hours or less. If you don't suck at platformering, that is. (like me)
I liked it. Credits are, Wayforward style, awesome. :)

Deques

Pretty bad.
Bad? Hmmm... I wait for 75% then

The only real issue's are the cutscenes. They make you feel like your playing a short Ducktales episode but at the same time, they take away some of the flow. And after retrying/playing a level for the fifth time...

It's a good deal if you like this kind of platformer, or if your a Ducktales fan. It's a short game, though. Three hours or less. If you don't suck at platformering, that is. (like me)

The original wasn't a long game either, so I guess 3 hours game isn't bad. Maybe I should buy it anyway

Edit: Bought

Only game I bought and played during this sale is Papers, Please. The only one worth downloading on a netcafé pc that resets itself everytime I leave was that one. Otherwise I stockpiled lots of games on Steam to play when I return from my service.

I can't think of a single wrpg I've ever played that had good combat, past or present. They're all turn based and/or dice roll driven or really janky real time combat like Bethesda's games and the Risens and Witcher 2. It's not what the genre excels at.

Worst post of the decade.

Knurek

God help me, I'm thinking of buying FF7
with card money

Need to be strong here (and wait for FF8 to be released).

Since you took the time, I'll expand. I like older style platformers too, but I think the art-style and in particular the size choices really distracts from the experience. It goes away from pixel-perfect platforming to "vague blob" platforming, while also looking particularly unpleasant for my tastes.

I'm not saying that they should have updated the gameplay, just that they either needed to respect the original style or come up with something new to complement the changes they made.

I will say this though, I found it better than the mickey mouse game. I think I might be in the minority here, but I really didn't enjoy it.

Arthea

Worst post of the decade.

I know it sounds like trolling, but he has a point. I don't agree that turn based is bad by being turn based or that dice roll means bad combat by being dice roll based, but in all honesty WRPGs produced very little battle systems that are fun or original or interesting or deep, that's simply true. They are usually bad, that's true too, unfortunately.

God help me, I'm thinking of buying FF7
with card money

Need to be strong here (and wait for FF8 to be released).

Oh no no no no, buy FF7, do it. Not to have FF7 on steam is like not to have Matrix in your movie collection. You have to have it everywhere and you know it! (><)

zkylon

zkylewd
I know it sounds like trolling, but he has a point. I don't agree that turn based is bad by being turn based or that dice roll means bad combat by being dice roll based, but in all honesty WRPGs produced very little battle systems that are fun or original or interesting or deep, that's simply true. They are usually bad, that's true too, unfortunately.
yeah I have to agree too, I kinda always liked fallout's combat but other than that I haven't really seriously enjoyed them

then again I haven't played that many non-black isle wrpgs to comment

Deques

Game Music Bundle 6 is live

http://www.loudr.fm/bundle/game-music-bundle-6/3evS8

$1 - Five albums
  • Dust: An Elysian Tail
  • Braid Original Soundtrack
  • Rogue Legacy Original Soundtrack
  • Electronic Super Joy OST - Part I
  • Famaze

$10 - 24 albums
  • Electronic Super Joy OST - Part II
  • Kentucky Route Zero Act I
  • Kentucky Route Zero Act II
  • Guacamelee! Original Soundtrack
  • 7 Grand Steps: What Ancients Begat
  • Risk of Rain
  • Bientôt l'été
  • Pivvot
  • Shimsham OST
  • Thirty Flights of Loving Original Score
  • Mighty Switch Force 2
  • Tiny Barbarian DX: The Serpent Lord OST
  • Artemis: The Official Soundtrack
  • Super Ubie Land Original Soundtrack
  • Null Divide + : Extended OST
  • Big Steel Wheels
  • Zineth OST
  • Bits of Music from The Stanley Parable
  • Papo & Yo Soundtrack

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Since you took the time, I'll expand. I like older style platformers too, but I think the art-style and in particular the size choices really distracts from the experience. It goes away from pixel-perfect platforming to "vague blob" platforming, while also looking particularly unpleasant for my tastes.

I'm not saying that they should have updated the gameplay, just that they either needed to respect the original style or come up with something new to complement the changes they made.

I will say this though, I found it better than the mickey mouse game. I think I might be in the minority there, but I really didn't enjoy it.
WayForward likes 2 1/2D for some unexplainable reason, if they left that half behind it would have looked a whole lot better. Characters look great, though.

It's just...I get the critique it gets, but i'm glad those faults and points didn't affect my enjoyment of the game. The game has some weird design choices, cutscenes in particular, and it may show it's age, but I really enjoyed my time with it.

Deques, don't forget to play it on Hard for an easier experience.
...yes, really. You get less life-pickups and containers, but a lot more lives and moolah.

Remastered Soundtrack is great, but that's not really suprising since hey, Jake Kaufman.

Omega

Banned
stay strong and wait for the superior FF like you originally planned to Knurek

on the topic of WRPGs and combat, Witcher 2 doesn't seem bad. then again I'm playing with the FCR so I don't know how much of a difference that makes. Was a huge difference in the first game.

It's just...I get the critique it gets, but i'm glad those faults and points didn't affect my enjoyment of the game. The game has some weird design choices, cutscenes in particular, and it may show it's age, but I really enjoyed my time with it.

That is what it is all about. I think the price played a part in my negative feelings toward it. Had I only paid $5 or something I might have just got over it and enjoyed it more.

Knurek

I wonder if SE will port FF9 over.

The amount of work for a non-emulated port is too high, I guess. And Sony would never okay an official emulated port - look how hard they fought with Bleem or VCS.

Which is really stupid, all things considering. Both Sony and Nintendo should totally do what Sega does and just have an officially sanctioned PC emulator on Steam with games bought as DLCs... They are just losing tons of money.

Oh well, Japanese companies don't get digital...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom