• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Game Music Bundle 6 is live

http://www.loudr.fm/bundle/game-music-bundle-6/3evS8

$1 - Five albums
  • Dust: An Elysian Tail
  • Braid Original Soundtrack
  • Rogue Legacy Original Soundtrack
  • Electronic Super Joy OST - Part I
  • Famaze

$10 - 24 albums
  • Electronic Super Joy OST - Part II
  • Kentucky Route Zero Act I
  • Kentucky Route Zero Act II
  • Guacamelee! Original Soundtrack
  • 7 Grand Steps: What Ancients Begat
  • Risk of Rain
  • Bientôt l'été
  • Pivvot
  • Shimsham OST
  • Thirty Flights of Loving Original Score
  • Mighty Switch Force 2
  • Tiny Barbarian DX: The Serpent Lord OST
  • Artemis: The Official Soundtrack
  • Super Ubie Land Original Soundtrack
  • Null Divide + : Extended OST
  • Big Steel Wheels
  • Zineth OST
  • Bits of Music from The Stanley Parable
  • Papo & Yo Soundtrack

Guacamelee! Is there a thread for this? Game soundtrack bundles are my favorite bundles!

Arthea

I wonder if SE will port FF9 over.

That would be great, and that's why SE won't port it.

stay strong and wait for the superior FF like you originally planned to Knurek

on the topic of WRPGs and combat, Witcher 2 doesn't seem bad. then again I'm playing with the FCR so I don't know how much of a difference that makes. Was a huge difference in the first game.

Why would one skip on one of the best games ever?
I so wish we had proper HD port with upgraded graphics and sound.

Let's say it's not too bad. :)
That reminds me, I think about double dipping on Witcher 2 on steam if cheap, what was lowest price we got on it before, on steam I mean. Anybody remembers?

I know it sounds like trolling, but he has a point. I don't agree that turn based is bad by being turn based or that dice roll means bad combat by being dice roll based, but in all honesty WRPGs produced very little battle systems that are fun or original or interesting or deep, that's simply true. They are usually bad, that's true too, unfortunately.

I feel this grossly uninformed opinion is highly disrespectful to WRPGs.

Games like Ultima III pioneered tactical turn based RPG combat way before 8-bit JRPG games actually came around to it. And those games have been largely stuck in this same formula that was invented 30 years ago to this day, a game of characters sitting across each other and choosing different attack types while their WRPG counterparts pretty much perfected it with a much better focus on character customization and combat tactics in games like Fallout over 15 years ago.

Games like Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder, which have pioneered and perfected real time / turn based hybrid first person combat systems which are still extremely enjoyable and IMHO perfect 20 years after they've been made. How successful Legend of Grimrock was by only mimicing these games and not receiving the slightest criticism due to a clunky/aged combat system is a testament to that.

Your assertion that "WRPGs produced very little battle systems that are fun or original or interesting or deep, that's simply true." is simply not true. And that post I quoted earlier is really the worst post of the decade AFAIC. It shits on a lot of games and developers who've done spectacular things in a genre that's leagues and bounds beyond its Japanese counterpart and always has been.

Arthea

Combat in Amalur was fun as well.

It's somewhat fun, but it is somewhat shallow too. When you can kill creatures immune to magic by magic alone faster than by other means, you know that something is wrong with bs, no? Not that I'm complaining, stupid fun games have their uses too. Only I wish sidequests and story were more interesting and for huge discount on steam. Playing it on PS3 is painful experience.

Arthea

Games like Ultima III pioneered tactical turn based RPG combat way before 8-bit JRPG games actually came around to it. And those games have been largely stuck in this same formula that was invented 30 years ago to this day, a game of characters sitting across each other and choosing different attack types while their WRPG counterparts pretty much perfected it with a much better focus on character customization and combat tactics in games like Fallout over 15 years ago.

Games like Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder, which have pioneered and perfected real time / turn based hybrid first person combat systems which are still extremely enjoyable and IMHO perfect 20 years after they've been made. How successful Legend of Grimrock was by only mimicing these games and not receiving the slightest criticism due to a clunky/aged combat system is a testament to that.

Your assertion that "WRPGs produced very little battle systems that are fun or original or interesting or deep, that's simply true." is simply not true. And that post I quoted earlier is really the worst post of the decade AFAIC. It shits on a lot of games and developers who've done spectacular things in a genre that's leagues and bounds beyond its Japanese counterpart and always has been.

So, you say that 2 battle systems in what? 40 years is not very little, really? (><)
I didn't say there are no good bs in WRPGs, I actually would argue that there are more than 2 good ones, but then again there are many bad ones or simply uninspired, you choose which one.
Out of curiosity, which modern WRPGs have a good bs in your opinion?

Seanspeed

Banned

It all depends on what you like in a combat system. I would not argue with somebody who said that pretty much ALL RPG's, apart from Dark Souls, don't do combat very well. Some people will say that turn-based stuff inherently destroys any notion of 'good' combat.

Knurek

Perhaps one day. Soon? No.

FF7 and FF8 were brought over because they had PC versions in the late 90s.

On that note, I wonder how Squeenix will solve music in FF8. The original port used DirectMusic for playback, which I believe was discontinued with release of DX9.

Sounded way better than the original FF7 port did (MIDI synthesizer with custom soundfont resulting in vocal-less Wingless Angel), but worse than the PS1 originals.

wazoo

I'd love that. FF9 is the one and only FF game I've yet to play that I actually want to play.

FF9 is very cute, but the combat system was already particularly slow and repetitive in 2000 and way behind something like Grandia 2, a contemporary game of FF9, also on PC.

Coldsun

Banned
On that note, I wonder how Squeenix will solve music in FF8. The original port used DirectMusic for playback, which I believe was discontinued with release of DX9.

Sounded way better than the original FF7 port did (MIDI synthesizer with custom soundfont resulting in vocal-less Wingless Angel), but worse than the PS1 originals.

This issue could be one of the few for why it has taken so long for FF8 to actually get pushed live on Steam :\.

Knurek

FF9 is very cute, but the combat system was already particularly slow and repetitive in 2000 and way behind something like Grandia 2, a contemporary game of FF9, also on PC.

But that was mostly due to having to stream assets off of PS1 2x speed (I believe) CD.
Shouldn't be a problem with a proper PC port (which, admittedly, isn't happening, but one can always dream).

zkylon

zkylewd
Payday 2 looks like a lot of fun... worth the $10 on Amazon if I would be playing with randoms?
yea it's alright with randoms, tho the game's lasting appeal is a bit on the low side

I dunno what's about it, but it suddenly gets old in a way the first one didn't

Omega

Banned
yea it's alright with randoms, tho the game's lasting appeal is a bit on the low side

I dunno what's about it, but it suddenly gets old in a way the first one didn't

there's not much too it

it's a fun game, but it's far too easy and the whole game is RNG based. from missions, to drops, enemy spawns, etc.

You are trying to argue with somebody who stated Terraria is the only good indie game ever made.

I wouldn't worry too much. Before you can even talk about WRPG battle systems you need to decide what a WRPG actually is. Is it mass effect? Kotor? SS2? Deus Ex? Baldurs Gate? All of the above?

The main point of the discussion was Risen 2's sucks and I think we can all agree on that.

PKrockin

I just bought Skyrim even though I have no gaming PC and no real intention to get one soon. I need to stay away from this thread.

Knurek

I wouldn't worry too much. Before you can even talk about WRPG battle systems you need to decide what a WRPG actually is. Is it mass effect? Kotor? SS2? Deus Ex? Baldurs Gate? All of the above?

I would add Arkham games to that, they do have XP and you are role-playing as the freakin' Batman.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

That's okay, I can look past a dated combat system.

Arthea

You are trying to argue with somebody who stated Terraria is the only good indie game ever made.

The main point of the discussion was Risen 2's sucks and I think we can all agree on that.

I never said Terraria is only good indie game! I haven't even played it...
I know you are talking about Derrick, but thought I'll point out that's not me you are talking about

That's one can of worms we don't want to open, I think.
Yup, ME games aren't RPGs post again

So, you say that 2 battle systems in what? 40 years is not very little, really? (><)
I didn't say there are no good bs in WRPGs, I actually would argue that there are more than 2 good ones, but then again there are many bad ones or simply uninspired, you choose which one.
Out of curiosity, which modern WRPGs have a good bs in your opinion?

I would not care to even try and list all WRPGs with good battle systems, it would be an exercise in futility. I have not even written a comprehensive list of combat systems they innovated (I never touched on isometric realtime, for example, a-la Diablo). I have given you examples from decades ago where the genre has already innovated light years ahead of their Japanese counterparts. The genre already has great battle system roots thanks to its foundations on tabletop wargaming/roleplaying. Its mother hobby has over the decades spawned hundreds upon hundreds of tabletop roleplaying games with countless innovative systems to draw upon and the genre does that quite well.

What modern WRPGs have good battle systems? Well, this is controversial. Basically, WRPGs have pioneered yet another combat system in the last decade, namely the first person real time combat. It's divisive, it appeases some people when it's character skill based and it appeases some people when it's player skill based. So what I or anyone may list as good may really rub someone else the wrong way, BUT off the top of my head, these games have innovated and actually (IMO) done a very good job of dealing with RPG combat:

Neverwinter Nights 2: Say what you may about the game in general, it's combat system and implementation of the D&D3.5 rules were perfect.
Fallout 3: You may not like player skill based first person RPG combat, but this game actually made it work in every way I thought it should.
Shadowrun Returns: Turn based tactical combat with cover dynamics (first time I've seen it in an RPG)
Legend of Grimrock: Took a 20 year old combat system and pretty much perfected it, and it worked like magic.
Every MMO ever made: Undeniably something the WRPGs have innovated and took light years ahead of their Japanese counterparts.

I won't even go into the decision/conversation/storytelling aspects.

PKrockin

^ I just hope nobody's falling into the trap of generalizing all WRPGs based on Elder Scrolls or JRPGs based on Final Fantasy...

And I thought I have it bad with low resistance to sales and all.
You made my day! (><)
I... it was... modded Elder Scrolls is one of the few things I miss about PC gaming, and uh, in case I get back into it a few years from now... um...

I dun goofed, didn't I?

Arthea

I would not care to even try and list all WRPGs with good battle systems, it would be an exercise in futility. I have not even written a comprehensive list of combat systems they innovated (I never touched on isometric realtime, for example, a-la Diablo). I have given you examples from decades ago where the genre has already innovated light years ahead of their Japanese counterparts. The genre already has great battle system roots thanks to its foundations on tabletop wargaming/roleplaying. Its mother hobby has over the decades spawned hundreds upon hundreds of tabletop roleplaying games with countless innovative systems to draw upon and the genre does that quite well.

What modern WRPGs have good battle systems? Well, this is controversial. Basically, WRPGs have pioneered yet another combat system in the last decade, namely the first person real time combat. It's divisive, it appeases some people when it's character skill based and it appeases some people when it's player skill based. So what I or anyone may list as good may really rub someone else the wrong way, BUT off the top of my head, these games have innovated and actually (IMO) done a very good job of dealing with RPG combat:

Neverwinter Nights 2: Say what you may about the game in general, it's combat system and implementation of the D&D3.5 rules were perfect.
Fallout 3: You may not like player skill based first person RPG combat, but this game actually made it work in every way I thought it should.
Shadowrun Returns: Turn based tactical combat with cover dynamics (first time I've seen it in an RPG)
Legend of Grimrock: Took a 20 year old combat system and pretty much perfected it, and it worked like magic.
Every MMO ever made: Undeniably something the WRPGs have innovated and took light years ahead of their Japanese counterparts.

I won't even go into the decision/conversation/storytelling aspects.
OK, let's agree to disagree then, don't wanna argue, because that's pointless, you like what I don't like obviously. NWN2, FO3 and every MMO ever made that more than obvious to me. ;)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Hmm, Gunpoint is 30p cheaper on the Humble Store, but I can use my card money to buy it on the Steam store. Decisions, decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom