• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Sophia

This thing is a dollar coaster of jumping on/off betas, isn't it? Now the non-beta reads as a DirectInput controller or whatever and I need to go to Beta for it to work as Xinput.

Valve has been pushing non-stable updates to the non-beta channel, for whatever reason. It's irritating as hell. I just stay on beta myself and weather the storm, so to speak.

Eusis

Valve has been pushing non-stable updates to the non-beta channel, for whatever reason. It's irritating as hell. I just stay on beta myself and weather the storm, so to speak.
Yeah, it's a little annoying when I jump off the beta train when I have that deal breaking issue only for it to crop back up and I need to go back to beta. What were they thinking? Or are we effectively just getting slightly newer versions in the possible chance something could blow up?

Widge

Just had a go at Witcher 1 with it. Decent, I wouldn't be able to play it otherwise.

Can't tell the best config for it yet. I certainly have to dial sensitivity down, fund cursors move around like manic fuckerd otherwise.

alerus

Neo Member
Hmmm. Interesting. Well, that's not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I appreciate the heads up.

I guess I'll have to gauge whether it's worth it to spend that time tweaking the controller to get the optimal setting.

Well, if a config you downloaded from the community doesn't have the in game description on the button, you can always add it. Sure, this means you'll have to spend some time at first doing that, but once it's done, you can just hit the guide and see the in game description for each button. FWIW most of the popular community configs tend to include the in game label. I usually do with mine (though I don't think any of mine are popular :p )

Crayon

Hmmm. Interesting. Well, that's not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I appreciate the heads up.

I guess I'll have to gauge whether it's worth it to spend that time tweaking the controller to get the optimal setting.

I use the controller for everything. When it comes to games that support 360 pad, I just let the controller default to gamepad with mouse-like joystick like it want to do, and start playing. From there, I'll eventually put whatever buttons are used alot onto the paddles, and fuck around with the right pad settings a bit to get it suited to that game. In-game, I'll use the game's invert option and generally crank the look speed all the way up because I have way way more accuracy than with a physical right thumbstick.

It's not a big deal. At first I fealt swamped just because it's so easy to get sucked into all the options. But once that got tiresome, I had the enough experience to just play with the thing. Especially for the games that support 360 pad. Everything maps to the prompts and the default is better than the real thing so there's very little to do.

Crayon

Just had a go at Witcher 1 with it. Decent, I wouldn't be able to play it otherwise.

Can't tell the best config for it yet. I certainly have to dial sensitivity down, fund cursors move around like manic fuckerd otherwise.

You'll get the cursor control. I've had a huge huge improvement over the months.

The trackpad is so sensitive that the smallest motion don't have to be actual swipes. You can smush the tip of your thumb just a tiny bit and get super fine, steady inputs.

Yes i am. Sounds like it could be a pain to play with anyway. Ill stick to ye olde 360 controller for now.

Ironically I had an incident at the weekend whereby I had to opt back into the beta to be able to play This Division with the steam controller. Otherwise mappings were all messed up!

Widge

You'll get the cursor control. I've had a huge huge improvement over the months.

The trackpad is so sensitive that the smallest motion don't have to be actual swipes. You can smush the tip of your thumb just a tiny bit and get super fine, steady inputs.

I try to use it like a MacBook touchpad so teeny movements are wildly erratic. Luckily, low sensitivity and acceleration work really well. Sometimes I'm in a faff with Witcher but I'm sure I'll adapt once the bespoke controls become second nature.

Foxyone

I seem to have got action sets finally working; I don't think the new update itself claimed any steam controller changes though. Someone mentioned to try redownloading the beta update while the controller was plugged in via USB. I tried that with the new update and it got action sets working only whilst plugged in, then I opted out of the beta and redownloaded while wireless, which fixed action sets for wireless. Weird.

beta update:

Fixed Mode Shifts getting cleared when adding a mode shift to multiple action sets
Fixed action sets showing native actions rather than M/KB/Gamepad bindings in some conditions when using legacy action set
Added Joystick Click and A/B/X/Y as mode shift buttons
Fixed a crash when going into/out of an overlay while using the Steam Controller

Nerrel

The recent updates have finally allowed me to get this working in Project64 (you have to turn off the controller when booting up, then turn it on after loading a game), but the trackpad and gyro are pretty much useless so far. In Xinput mode, there's no real option to adjust the stick sensitivities and the trackpad and gyro end up being very jerky and unresponsive in mouse joystick mode as a result. You'd pretty much have to crank the minimum output value up to max to get smooth movement, but by then it's so fast and insensitive that it's much less precise than the analog stick.

I tried Kb+mouse mode and it seemed to have potential to work when using the analog stick/trackpad/gyro as a mouse with absolute input. You can walk forward with analog input by holding the stick forward. The problem is that it only works for several seconds before your center point is lost and everything goes haywire.

Has anyone else used this with P64 and gotten good results? I don't know if a different controller plugin would resolve this issue or not. If nothing else, I can use it just like a standard pad without the trackpad or gyro, since the analog stick is much, much better than the one on the Wii U Pro I normally use, but it's kind of disappointing to settle. I imagine it'd be a lot of fun to play not only MM and OoT with gyro+trackpad aiming, but Goldeneye and Perfect Dark would be really fun to try too.

Bizzquik

Its great to see the continued improvements to the controller's utility. Because of this, I finally had a my first enjoyable experience in using it.
(Considering I pre-ordered the controller Day 1...I was much relieved to be able to appreciate it.)

I love its versatility and its growing community. More users means different ideas on how to implement it.
The Touch Pad - which came out a few months ago - is definitely a big deal.

I took someone else's Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion profile and was able to tweak it with ease. And because the controller is just emulating keystrokes, it plays well with mods that add new keyboard functions. I could map the entire Oblivion Journal to the left Touch Pad using OBSE and QZ Easy Menus Update from the Nexus.
Then the ability to assign symbols and even color-code the Touch Pad mapping was really nice. The thing just looks professional & polished now - which is a long way from when the controller was first released.

I'm excited for Action Sets. I have no idea how to use this new functionality, but look forward to reading comments about the successes of other Gaffers.

Foxyone

My Steam button keeps tabbing me out of games for some reason :/

I read about an interesting, but potentially obvious solution to handling action sets getting stuck. I usually only bind an action set on the start button so that I have independent menu controls, but closing the menu without clicking start again would keep the action set when not wanted. Apparently a good solution is to set action sets to switch back to default on buttons / pads you'd normally use in-game, but not in menus. If the menu doesn't need the right trackpad or joystick, but the game does, set the menu action set so that the joystick and / or right pad switch back to the default action set, so trying to use those controls at all will force you back to in-game settings.

City 17

Steam Controller CAD Release
We are releasing the mechanical CAD geometry for the Steam Controller and are eager to see the accessories and variations that come from your creativity. We are making available, under Creative Commons licensing, the geometry of all externally visible parts. This allows you to create and share to your heart’s content, but you’ll need to get in touch with Valve if you want to sell your creations.

CAD_B_W_617.png

The archive contains several eDrawings viewer files: from Creo Express and native Modeling, to neutral exchange and 3D print files – for compatibility with a wide variety of your design tools.

Check in with SteamHardwareFeedback@valvesoftware.com if you have model related issues we might be able to address.

Download link: ZIP archive

Steam Controller CAD Release

Whoa, cool! I'd be excited to see what tweaks people come up with.

Personally, I'd love to be able to tweak it so that the shoulder bumpers and the grip buttons are a little easier to click. One of my only problems with the existing controller is that those take slightly too much pressure to press IMO.

Unai

Hopefully this will lead to nice third-party Steam Controllers there are also available in more parts of the world. The Steam Controller still isn't available in my country. I had to buy mine from ebay.

Blizzard

Banned
My big remaining feature wish(es) involve the action menu mapping. Being able to map a touchpad to say, a 3x3 grid is nice (I'd like to manually adjust the reason count and size but that's complicated). However, I wish there was an "instant activation" mode.

I use the 3x3 grid for Street Fighter V since I am a crazy person, but this means that all the actions are triggering on touch release, instead of on touch. It probably makes the timing harder.

Interesting idea. This could actually work for customizing controllers, such as replacing the left pad with a d-pad or adding extra buttons, and so on.

Interesting idea. This could actually work for customizing controllers, such as replacing the left pad with a d-pad or adding extra buttons, and so on.

I'm not sure how you'd do any of that, considering that you'd need some way to interface with the existing software even if you did manage to hook up new buttons.

I've got some ideas for customizing things, though, which I will do as soon as I can figure out how to open these damn CAD files. Several of the file formats I have no idea about, the .g files don't seem to do anything, and the other files are so big that everything I try to open them with crashes.

catabarez

They need to sell the new battery cover with a Steam logo. I'd buy it.

Edit: any examples of what customizations this could lead to?

Nabs

The two latest Beta updates:

• Action set Display and Beep are now options to show what action set has been switched to
  • Fixed Action Sets not switching in some circumstances
  • Fixed Action Set display bug where it could be blank
I'm really liking Action Sets. I'm currently working on a Far Cry Primal config that has separate controls for action, menu items, and owl controls. It's nice to be able to pull off this amount of customization with ease. I can't wait until more games support the steam controller api so this stuff is even easier to play with.

hepburn3d

Anyone else noticing that if they minimise to desktop that after 5 minutes steam crashes, no matter what you're doing, even if you go back to Big Picture? If it's not just me I'll send it in as a bug

I can't for the life of me get the steam overlay to hook into Need for Speed Rivals. Not that I need to use the SC with it, but it's a comfortable pad and I would have liked to use it if I could.

I've tried a few different ways of adding Origin games to Steam, but nothing works. Is this a Windows 10 thing or is it game specific? I've seen some posts from people who have had issues with ME1 and other origin games since moving to Windows 10.

galv

Unconfirmed Member
I can't for the life of me get the steam overlay to hook into Need for Speed Rivals. Not that I need to use the SC with it, but it's a comfortable pad and I would have liked to use it if I could.

I've tried a few different ways of adding Origin games to Steam, but nothing works. Is this a Windows 10 thing or is it game specific? I've seen some posts from people who have had issues with ME1 and other origin games since moving to Windows 10.

How I fixed it for ME1 was running Steam as an Administrator. The Steam Overlay worked, my controller worked and was a great experience.

Apparently the overlay can't display on games running as an admin in Windows if Steam is also not running as an admin.

Hopefully this fixes it for you.

Lister

Banned
The only sads I have is that the bug where the ghost controllers and double inputs appear after sleepmode is back after being fixed for a bit.

How I fixed it for ME1 was running Steam as an Administrator. The Steam Overlay worked, my controller worked and was a great experience.

Apparently the overlay can't display on games running as an admin in Windows if Steam is also not running as an admin.

Hopefully this fixes it for you.

I've tried this, but unfortunately it doesn't appear to have any effect. Do you launch Origin from steam or target the game exe itself, and are either of those manually set to run as administrator?

Unai

I've tried this, but unfortunately it doesn't appear to have any effect. Do you launch Origin from steam or target the game exe itself, and are either of those manually set to run as administrator?

A guy who was playing The Division said in this thread that he had to add the game's exe itself to Steam. It might be the same with Origin games. Also, does Origin have an overlay? If it does, you might have to disable it first.

It does have an overlay but I've disabled it. Tried launching the exe directly, launching origin itself and then the game, and tried appending the origin exe location to the game's path which I'd seen a few posts suggest doing (including in this thread) - none of those seemed to work.

RedSwirl

Weird minor issue going on after updating from Windows 7 to 10. Certain programs won't accept any input from the Steam Controller anymore. Not games, but just some regular programs, which is kind of a hassle since I pretty much don't use a regular mouse anymore.

MSI Afterburner, RivaTuner, and Malwarebytes Antimalware all won't recognize the Steam Controller for some reason. All other normal programs I've tried so far accept inputs just fine.

Karish

Ok so I really like this thing for the most party. I've been playing Alan Wake since I got it and in some aspects prefer it to Xbox One controller. That being said, the build quality leaves a lot to be desired in certain areas. The haptics feel quite cheap, the rumble emulation as well. The bumpers are bad and the triggers just ok. I like everything else about the controller, the weight, the configurability, the touchpads themselves.

Oh, I wish it had a 3.5mm audio jack on the bottom.

Veal

Origin games used to work for me, but after one of the bigger recent updates, I can't get anything to work either.

JohnTH

Weird minor issue going on after updating from Windows 7 to 10. Certain programs won't accept any input from the Steam Controller anymore. Not games, but just some regular programs, which is kind of a hassle since I pretty much don't use a regular mouse anymore.

MSI Afterburner, RivaTuner, and Malwarebytes Antimalware all won't recognize the Steam Controller for some reason. All other normal programs I've tried so far accept inputs just fine.

It's because those apps are running as administrator, and Windows 10 prevents less-privileged apps from interacting with them. You can run Steam as administrator to fix it.

RedSwirl

It's because those apps are running as administrator, and Windows 10 prevents less-privileged apps from interacting with them. You can run Steam as administrator to fix it.

Is there a way to always run Steam (or anything) as administrator?

bones123

Is there a way to always run Steam (or anything) as administrator?

Yep. Right click on the Steam.exe or whatever you want, click on Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, then check the "Run this program as Administrator" box. It'll always run as admin.

whats some good dpad settings for a 2D platformer?
From personal experience, the left pad isn't going to cut it for anything 2D that uses more than two directions. It takes much longer to move your finger from one direction to another than it does on a regular d-pad, or even an analog stick. Stick with the left analog in directional pad mode. I know it sounds ridiculous, but trust me on this. Set the deadzone to about 75% to give yourself some room, and set haptics to high. Haptics make it feel like an arcade stick, and I have had zero issues with it. It feels and works great.

...if you're really hesitant about it though, set the left pad deadzone above half (or whatever gives your thumb enough room to land on a neutral position), and disable click activation. It's the best setting I've found, though I still struggled with it. Mainly because it's such a huge area; I tried it for a week, and couldn't learn the boundaries at all. Minor adjustments would lead to a lot of missteps (which leads to instant death in a lot of 2D games). And press-to-click just doesn't work with vertical directions unless you want to grind your thumb on the left pad constantly, which is very uncomfortable. That's just my experience though. You should still give it a chance to see if you can make it work.

Nzyme32

whats some good dpad settings for a 2D platformer?

Kero Blaster is a ton of fun. I've been using cross-gate layout for it, which basically matches the indentation of the controller rather than slices. This means that diagonals are more easily hit the further you move out and less so near the centre which has a square deadzone. I find cross gate works really well if you like to play relatively close to the deadzone, which the normal layout often leads to miss hits close to the deadzone (at least for me). I think my binding is top of the list for that game if you want to try it. Not sure if that is the cross-gate one, but it's easy to change should you want to

shockdude

From personal experience, the left pad isn't going to cut it for anything 2D that uses more than two directions. It takes much longer to move your finger from one direction to another than it does on a regular d-pad, or even an analog stick. Stick with the left analog in directional pad mode. I know it sounds ridiculous, but trust me on this. Set the deadzone to about 75% to give yourself some room, and set haptics to high. Haptics make it feel like an arcade stick, and I have had zero issues with it. It feels and works great.
That's brilliant. I need to try this.

Nabs

I don't know if anyone here is a fan of OlliOlli, but I just put up a touch config for OlliOlli 2 and it feels really nice with the Steam Controller. You just swipe your fingers like the trick list shows, and tap the right pad to press the A button. Experimental Rumble (low) is also a nice touch.

Sophia

Holy crap. This DOES work great for Freedom Planet.

EDIT: Works great in Darius Burst too, although the haptics isn't as strong as I'd like.

Lork

I had been avoiding the beta because it made XInput nonfunctional in many games, but now they've apparently just pushed that update, broken as it is, to the "stable" branch. Now what do I do?

Edit: Great. Just great. I saved my config so I could temporarily try out one of the templates to see if I needed to have an "updated" config to have it actually work. When it didn't work, I went to load up my custom config only to find out that the interface lied and it didn't actually save. It's just gone.

The software support for this thing has been a complete shitshow so far with no signs of improvement. How utterly Valve-like for them to put all their time and effort into pulling off a bunch of fancy tricks while completely ignoring the comparatively boring task of actually making the basic functionality work right. If only the people working on the controller software had the benefit of a boss who could tell them what actually needs to get done first.

Eusis

Anyone playing Dark Souls III early set up the Steam Controller with this? I'm curious how well using the Right Pad for mouse works, DSII is surprisingly good there but I do worry about DSIII being bad there.

Blizzard

Banned
I had been avoiding the beta because it made XInput nonfunctional in many games, but now they've apparently just pushed that update, broken as it is, to the "stable" branch. Now what do I do?

Edit: Great. Just great. I saved my config so I could temporarily try out one of the templates to see if I needed to have an "updated" config to have it actually work. When it didn't work, I went to load up my custom config only to find out that the interface lied and it didn't actually save. It's just gone.

The software support for this thing has been a complete shitshow so far with no signs of improvement. How utterly Valve-like for them to put all their time and effort into pulling off a bunch of fancy tricks while completely ignoring the comparatively boring task of actually making the basic functionality work right. If only the people working on the controller software had the benefit of a boss who could tell them what actually needs to get done first.
I'm sorry to hear that. :( Take a quick scan back through the thread -- I think some people mentioned that when a config seems to vanish, sometimes it is still there on the disk. You might be able to recover it.

Top Bottom