• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Oreoleo

So, I just noticed the controller is on sale for $30.

Is it the time to bite? Oh, and does Valve charge shipping?

Well, it's not like this is software where the price might bottom out over time like most games on Steam. I doubt the price will ever go below $30 by any substantial amount, barring combo deals like what we saw with XCOM2. So as far as it being "the time" to purchase well, that's up to you. The way I see it, for most PC gaming enthusiasts (eg, people who check Steam-related threads on GAF and know what the Steam controller is), unless the idea of the controller lights a fire under your pants to try it out, you can probably wait until your current controller gives out (my 360 controller had drifting/dead-zone issues so it was a no-brainer for me) or you get fed up with dual-analog (if you aren't already) to jump in.

And yeah, there's like a $5 shipping charge.

Nerrel

So, I just noticed the controller is on sale for $30.

Is it the time to bite? Oh, and does Valve charge shipping?

It depends on the games that you play. If you're even remotely interested in gyro aiming or fully customized button layouts, then yes, that's an easy buy and well worth the money. I find that some games benefit more than others and sometimes I still like to use my Wii U Pro, so it depends on how happy you are with your current controller for the library you've got. If you feel like a lot of your games could play better than they do, then go for it.

My main reason for buying was that I got used to IR aiming with the Wii remote and really didn't want to go back to dual analog on PC. The Steam controller's trackpads and gyro aren't necessarily always a perfect substitute, mostly depending on the games themselves and the kinds of settings they allow, but it's really nice having that option instead of just being limited to sticks alone forever.

Well I've got to say, the Division is probably my favorite shooter game so far to use the steam controller with. It feels fantastic once I finally got it up and running, and even the rumble feels great. Probably good that it's mainly a PvE game, but I might be willing to try more competitive shooters with it after Battlefront soured me.

The only minor issue now is selecting special items which requires a joystick mode on the right pad (if you're activating the panel with the d of controller style). But really this is a great example of he controllers abilities - taking a non steam game, grabbing a community profile from it, slightly adjusting it for my preferences and bam. Ready to go.

I agree Pete, it's great with The Division. Have you figured out a decent solution for the special item issue? Using mode shifting to right stick output kinda sorta works but is far from ideal.

I agree Pete, it's great with The Division. Have you figured out a decent solution for the special item issue? Using mode shifting to right stick output kinda sorta works but is far from ideal.

Haven't yet, it's sort of difficult since I don't know how its activated via kb/m. Another user here posted their config a few pages back that mentioned a touch menu, and I bet that'd be a good workaround, especially with custom images. I'm gonna give theirs a try soon.

Sophia

If The Division supports mixed controls, then yeah, probably best to figure out how it works on KB/M and then make a touch menu. I know for my Wolfenstein: The Old Blood configuration I skipped the controller radical menu entirely and just made my own touch menu because it worked better. That is, to say when holding Right Bumper, the right touchpad would switch weapons on release.

I don't know how The Division plays tho. Personally, I prefer pure KB/M configs myself.

Nabs

Huge update.

New Steam Beta Update:

Steam Controller

• Added user definable action sets for legacy games.
  • Users can now add additional action sets with their own sets of bindings. Action sets can be added/deleted/named as appropriate and selected via a binding. Note that unlike mode-shifts, action sets completely replace all currently active bindings, and can have their own mode shifts and so forth.
  • Added New Controller Action binding types which will expand in the future with bindings that are not specific to the game, but rather higher level, as noted below.
  • Added Change Action Set Binding - sets the action set to the next or a specified action set when used.
  • Added Show Keyboard Binding - shows the on-screen keyboard
  • Added Take Screenshot Binding - takes a screenshot
  • Removed hard coded desktop keyboard shortcut (stick click) and replaced it with controller action binding in the default desktop configuration.
  • Fixed some cases of non-steam games not applying controller settings. Ensure that "Allow Launchers" option is off for this to take effect.
  • Fixed controllers not turning off on Suspend power mode in Desktop mode which could cause zombie controllers to be seen over wireless
  • Fixed Horizontal Invert setting not working on Mouse Joystick

Huge update.

New Steam Beta Update:

Steam Controller

What exactly is an "action set?" It's been a while since I've messed with my Steam Controller so I'm a little behind on everything it can do now.

If I understand it from the second line item, it sounds like a way to switch the entire controller configuration with just a push of a button (or whatever predefined action)?

Sophia

What exactly is an "action set?" It's been a while since I've messed with my Steam Controller so I'm a little behind on everything it can do now.

If I understand it from the second line item, it sounds like a way to switch the entire controller configuration with just a push of a button (or whatever predefined action)?

You are correct. In native games like Counter-Strike and X-COM, action sets are the menus at the top that allow you to define the controls for separate situations. For example, Counter-Strike allows you to define the buy menu controls different from regular gameplay. With this update, we can now create our own action sets for non-native games and switch to them with a single press.

With this change, there is no game (in theory) you can't make playable with the Steam Controller now.

I like that they are updating frequently, but every once in a while an update breaks things for me. I had to take a break playing Soma because my controller stopped working with the game for some reason. It eventually got fixed.

Also, is there still no way to save a preset to a controller that sticks after being shut off and without Steam being launched? There are games I play outside of Steam that I would love to do so with the controller, and I don't want to keep launching Steam just so my default preset for these games can load. If the controller turns off and Steam is closed, the controller reverts to the default, and I wish there was a way to keep the last previous settings applied.

TheRed

Haven't yet, it's sort of difficult since I don't know how its activated via kb/m. Another user here posted their config a few pages back that mentioned a touch menu, and I bet that'd be a good workaround, especially with custom images. I'm gonna give theirs a try soon.

If you're talking about mine which I think you assume you are, the best solution i had was to mode shift the right pad into a dpad when clicked and each direction has a consumable, I only really use the ammo consumables so it doesn't bother me that I'm missing 2 of the consumables. I also made a change to have rs click on select button personally after uploading because with the mode shift on click the pad couldn't be used to accept matchmaking games, going to group management worked but took more time. The touch menu could be changed to have the consumables but I wanted to have the emotes easily available more lol.

Huge update.

New Steam Beta Update:

Steam Controller

• Added user definable action sets for legacy games.
  • Users can now add additional action sets with their own sets of bindings. Action sets can be added/deleted/named as appropriate and selected via a binding. Note that unlike mode-shifts, action sets completely replace all currently active bindings, and can have their own mode shifts and so forth.
  • Added New Controller Action binding types which will expand in the future with bindings that are not specific to the game, but rather higher level, as noted below.
  • Added Change Action Set Binding - sets the action set to the next or a specified action set when used.
  • Added Show Keyboard Binding - shows the on-screen keyboard
  • Added Take Screenshot Binding - takes a screenshot
  • Removed hard coded desktop keyboard shortcut (stick click) and replaced it with controller action binding in the default desktop configuration.
  • Fixed some cases of non-steam games not applying controller settings. Ensure that "Allow Launchers" option is off for this to take effect.
  • Fixed controllers not turning off on Suspend power mode in Desktop mode which could cause zombie controllers to be seen over wireless
  • Fixed Horizontal Invert setting not working on Mouse Joystick

Sounds great. There's always so much to process on how games could control better with these big updates. Happy we can bind screenshot now, the previous one almost never worked for me and I had to always reach for the keyboard for screenshots.

Edit: Okayy, think the update fucked up something with buttons, loaded up the division was checking a vendor and was gonna leave the vendor by pressing B and instead I spent half of my money on this bag I didnt really want. Hmmm. Fixed it by unbinding the B button and then rebinding it.
Edit 2: Actually my other bindings seem messed up too, now the map opens when I want to sprint, had to be this update because I was playing fine just before.

Unai

I don't really know what these new options are but they sound promissing. I'll test them later on.

I like that they are updating frequently, but every once in a while an update breaks things for me. I had to take a break playing Soma because my controller stopped working with the game for some reason. It eventually got fixed.

Also, is there still no way to save a preset to a controller that sticks after being shut off and without Steam being launched? There are games I play outside of Steam that I would love to do so with the controller, and I don't want to keep launching Steam just so my default preset for these games can load. If the controller turns off and Steam is closed, the controller reverts to the default, and I wish there was a way to keep the last previous settings applied.

You need Steam opened to use custom settings, yes.

You need Steam opened to use custom settings, yes.

I know. I just wish there was a way to say "remember these settings when Steam is closed and after a controller is restarted" because the controller does seem to remember its custom settings after Steam closes, just not after the controller is turned off and on again. I hope that eventually gets added, but I don't think it will happen.

Sophia

It is very unlikely that Valve will ever allow the changing of behavior in Lizard mode, and the controller has to boot into that as a preemptive measure. Otherwise someone would certainly get stuck at one point where they're in Lizard mode and it's mis-configured and they can't proceed. Expect to always have to run Steam or something if you want your configurations.

It is very unlikely that Valve will ever allow the changing of behavior in Lizard mode. Otherwise someone would certainly get stuck at one point where they're in Lizard mode and it's mis-configured and they can't proceed. Expect to always have to run Steam or something if you want your configurations.

Wouldn't the easy fix be that you can just then launch Steam and then reconfigure it using a mouse and keyboard if you mess it up?

Anyway, I agree with the basic point that it probably won't ever happen. It's just something I would like to see.

Sophia

Wouldn't the easy fix be that you can just then launch Steam and then reconfigure it using a mouse and keyboard if you mess it up?

Anyway, I agree with the basic point that it probably won't ever happen. It's just something I would like to see.

This doesn't do someone configuring a HTPC or Steam Machine any good tho, if they can't load up Steam because Lizard Mode has been replaced for some reason.

This doesn't do someone configuring a HTPC or Steam Machine any good tho, if they can't load up Steam because Lizard Mode has been replaced for some reason.

I wouldn't be hard for Valve to add a kind of reset for it. Something like "hold down both triggers, both rear bumpers, and click in both touch pads for 10 seconds" to return to the default Lizard mode, or some other button combo that people aren't likely to accidentally trigger.

Blizzard

Banned
My biggest remaining wish (other than fixing any new bugs) is probably for touch menu controls to have an "activate on touch" option. That way I can use my Street Fighter V touch menu buttons instantly instead of having to tap and release.

Nabs

Btw, the Stable client was last updated 4 days ago. It's a good option if the beta client causes any major issues.

Foxyone

Can't wait to get home and try out the new update. It sounds like if I want, I could have the Back button be Alt-tab or something after I click Start to get into a menu. Is that correct?

Foxyone

How do you actually even set an action set? : /

I have "set" bound to the Start button on the controller, as well as assigned to a new action tab, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I want the Select button to be Alt-tab after I click the Start button and am in a menu, but I just can't seem to do it.

8BitCerberus

Neo Member
How do you actually even set an action set? : /

I have "set" bound to the Start button on the controller, as well as assigned to a new action tab, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I want the Select button to be Alt-tab after I click the Start button and am in a menu, but I just can't seem to do it.

Basically the action sets are more-or-less mode shift toggles, but for the entire controller. So you have your default set, and you create several new action sets, and when you enter that action set in the configuration screen, the controller configuration should be blank, or mostly so.

If you want the back button to be Alt-Tab then you need to assign Alt-Tab to the back button. And you need to assign something in that action set to switch back to your default action set.

So for your setup, you'd bind start to "Esc" or whatever brings up the game's options menu, and also "Set" to switch to the new action set. Since multibutton goes in the order you bind them, start with Esc, then Set. In the new action set you have to configure back bound to "alt+tab" with a multibutton, and you'll probably want start again to switch back to the default bindings, as well as hit "Esc" to get out of the menu, so you'll go backwards from before, and bind Set first then Esc.

It does look like they've essentially copy/pasted this feature from the native bindings, because you can still hit the back button in the configuration screen to toggle between setting "Legacy" bindings and native. But games that don't have native bindings aren't going to have anything show up there. I imagine it'll be addressed pretty quickly though

Alright, this update is incredible. Playing around with the action sets for a little bit I noticed that you can actually use multiple button bind option to press a key and also change to another action set at the same time. You can also bind a button to press a key and open the keyboard simultaneously, letting you open a chat window and immediately start typing.
N7wzLG4.png
I have a touch menu on the left pad for class/team change, map, etc which activates on a button press. If I instead just slide my thumb in one direction without pressing down on the pad, I instead can activate the team chat or one of the voice command menus.
The touch menu in the Comms set are the keys 1-9 for all of the options in the menu, with 0 (Cancel) bound to B. I wanted to maintain as much mobility as possible when the menus pop up in case you need to quickly move, duck, or shoot, but I also wanted to force you to go back to the default bindings in-case you don't select an option from the menu in time, so I mapped the right pad to shift back to the combat set.
I use a lower mouse sensitivity on the menu bindings to make it easier to use the server browser and mapped some other useful things like the scroll wheel, console, and music playback controls. In case the active action set gets out of sync and I end up in the menu action set while still in-game, I set a button to force me back to the combat set.

I'm excited to see the kinds of setups that people come up with.

Haven't uploaded it yet as this was just from me playing around with it. I haven't played a proper FPS with this thing yet and haven't decided on what settings to use on the right pad - there's a lot to play with and it can be a little overwhelming.

A couple of things I've noticed:
  • If you try to bind the Show Keyboard button on the touch menu, it won't show up. I can map U + Show Keyboard to the D-Pad and have it open the team chat and pop up the keyboard, but setting Y + Show Keyboard in the touch menu will open the server chat, but not the keyboard.
  • The notes say that you can have separate mode shifts on other action sets, but when I set up a new mode shift on the left pad on another action set, it would remove the binding to activate the mode shift on the previous action set.

Foxyone

Basically the action sets are more-or-less mode shift toggles, but for the entire controller. So you have your default set, and you create several new action sets, and when you enter that action set in the configuration screen, the controller configuration should be blank, or mostly so.

If you want the back button to be Alt-Tab then you need to assign Alt-Tab to the back button. And you need to assign something in that action set to switch back to your default action set.

So for your setup, you'd bind start to "Esc" or whatever brings up the game's options menu, and also "Set" to switch to the new action set. Since multibutton goes in the order you bind them, start with Esc, then Set. In the new action set you have to configure back bound to "alt+tab" with a multibutton, and you'll probably want start again to switch back to the default bindings, as well as hit "Esc" to get out of the menu, so you'll go backwards from before, and bind Set first then Esc.

It does look like they've essentially copy/pasted this feature from the native bindings, because you can still hit the back button in the configuration screen to toggle between setting "Legacy" bindings and native. But games that don't have native bindings aren't going to have anything show up there. I imagine it'll be addressed pretty quickly though

Oh hey, I've seen you on the reddit :3

So some people are getting it to work? I've seen quite a few people saying it's broken. I certainly can't seem to get it working, and I did what you said and fiddled around a bit trying.

Unai

Alright, this update is incredible. Playing around with the action sets for a little bit I noticed that you can actually use multiple button bind option to press a key and also change to another action set at the same time. You can also bind a button to press a key and open the keyboard simultaneously, letting you open a chat window and immediately start typing.

I have a touch menu on the left pad for class/team change, map, etc which activates on a button press. If I instead just slide my thumb in one direction without pressing down on the pad, I instead can activate the team chat or one of the voice command menus.

The touch menu in the Comms set are the keys 1-9 for all of the options in the menu, with 0 (Cancel) bound to B. I wanted to maintain as much mobility as possible when the menus pop up in case you need to quickly move, duck, or shoot, but I also wanted to force you to go back to the default bindings in-case you don't select an option from the menu in time, so I mapped the right pad to shift back to the combat set.

I use a lower mouse sensitivity on the menu bindings to make it easier to use the server browser and mapped some other useful things like the scroll wheel, console, and music playback controls. In case the active action set gets out of sync and I end up in the menu action set while still in-game, I set a button to force me back to the combat set.

I'm excited to see the kinds of setups that people come up with.

Haven't uploaded it yet as this was just from me playing around with it. I haven't played a proper FPS with this thing yet and haven't decided on what settings to use on the right pad - there's a lot to play with and it can be a little overwhelming.

A couple of things I've noticed:
  • If you try to bind the Show Keyboard button on the touch menu, it won't show up. I can map U + Show Keyboard to the D-Pad and have it open the team chat and pop up the keyboard, but setting Y + Show Keyboard in the touch menu will open the server chat, but not the keyboard.
  • The notes say that you can have separate mode shifts on other action sets, but when I set up a new mode shift on the left pad on another action set, it would remove the binding to activate the mode shift on the previous action set.

You know, I think this could work very well with Dark Souls 2. That game controls better with the right pad set as mouse but you can't change targets so I leave the pad as mouse joystick instead. With this new option I could set the right pad as mouse and change it to mouse joystick when I click the right pad, so I get the best of both worlds. I'll try it!

8BitCerberus

Neo Member
Oh hey, I've seen you on the reddit :3

Oh yeah :) Been lurking here for a while, took forever to get verified, since... uhh, man, sometime back in September I think.

So some people are getting it to work? I've seen quite a few people saying it's broken. I certainly can't seem to get it working, and I did what you said and fiddled around a bit trying.

Yeah it looks like this might be one that is going to have some kinks to work out before it's working well for everyone. Kinda had the same thing when the native bindings were first introduced though since there were so few games it probably didn't seem as widespread of an issue getting the bindings working properly.

Do configs made in the beta client get uploaded to the main client when it's updated or are they separate ecosystems?

You know, I think this could work very well with Dark Souls 2. That game controls better with the right pad set as mouse but you can't change targets so I leave the pad as mouse joystick instead. With this new option I could set the right pad as mouse and change it to mouse joystick when I click the right pad, so I get the best of both worlds. I'll try it!

If you figure something out for that I'd be curious to see your solution. Given that the targeting reticle will disable after a certain distance or upon killing all of the enemies, it seems like it would get out of sync often if the right pad button was the only thing used to shift between sets.

Soodanim

I watched a Top 10 Steam Controller games video earlier and now I really want one. I think System Shock 2 being #1 sold me, but the whole video showed me a few more options than I knew existed.

I'm still put off by the damn clicky sounding buttons and pads but it looks so damn fun to use that I might have to live with it. I've dropped my toes in this thread before GAF, but talk to me.

Nabs

Headphones come in handy, especially with experimental rumble enabled.

Speaking of rumble, I'm really liking the feature. I wish more games would let me enable or keep rumble on while using the mouse.

Their description sounds like the SC evangelists in this thread (like myself):

In this session we will walk you through the varied options offered by the Steam Controller, demonstrate how users are already leveraging them to play your game in new ways, and provide a detailed list of recommendations to improve their experience and take your game to the living room.

This reminded me that it has been a year since Valve revealed the Steam Universe and with it the Controller. It's time that they start talking about the future of the Controller and show the second version if they have one.

I feel like they could absolutely do a new Steam Controller in the next year and have it be fantastic. Some would probably be upset for such a quick iteration, but I would really love to see it.

Nzyme32

This reminded me that it has been a year since Valve revealed the Steam Universe and with it the Controller. It's time that they start talking about the future of the Controller and show the second version if they have one.

Right now there is no reason to do that at all as far as I can tell. There is already a wealth of additional features being added and plenty of experimentation. No real reason to push a new version of the controller out, though from what they said last year it seems much more likely that they will make a Steam Hardware Workshop of sorts, and open the controller even more so people can get just its innards, housing / case mods etc, before moving on to a new version of the controller.

Valve doesn't need to show a V2, however they did promise to release the CAD files. Then again, they also promised that for their Steam Machine case years ago and have yet to deliver that....

Oreoleo

Right now there is no reason to do that at all as far as I can tell. There is already a wealth of additional features being added and plenty of experimentation. No real reason to push a new version of the controller out, though from what they said last year it seems much more likely that they will make a Steam Hardware Workshop of sorts, and open the controller even more so people can get just its innards, housing / case mods etc, before moving on to a new version of the controller.

It doesn't have to be like a DS3 > DS4 jump where there are new buttons or features or whatever. Just a minor iteration that refines the ergonomics a little (smooth out the edges where the two halves of the shell meet, make the bumpers less resistant, fix the wobble on the paddle buttons/battery compartment) would be most welcome.

Zeknurn

It doesn't have to be like a DS3 > DS4 jump where there are new buttons or features or whatever. Just a minor iteration that refines the ergonomics a little (smooth out the edges where the two halves of the shell meet, make the bumpers less resistant, fix the wobble on the paddle buttons/battery compartment) would be most welcome.

I would also like to see them add lighthouse sensors to it. In hindsight it seems like a great oversight that they didn't add them to the initial version of the controller.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I've been away from the controller updates for a long while, if I have a ton of games to play through GOG Galaxy, is there a better way to deal with those besides adding the individual links in Steam? Or is that still the only real way to fully customize...

Nabs

Here's the latest Steam Beta update. It fixes some of the issues that popped up with the last one:

Steam Beta (3/14/16):

Streaming/Controller
  • Fixed some games getting incorrect controller buttons, duplicate buttons, or no input at all
Steam Controller
  • Fixed Action Set creation/deletion not working properly in the desktop configurator
  • Fixed bugs related to deleting existing Action Sets

It'll be on GDC Vault!

Nice. I'll keep my eyes open to see if it hits the free portion of the vault.

Top Bottom