• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Oreoleo

If it's a game where each weapon has it's own binding (1, 2, 3, 4 etc) I'll usually set up a touch menu on the left pad. Or just a d-pad config on the left pad if there's only 3 or 4 weapon slots. OR use one/both bumpers to cycle through weapons one by one. Otherwise I guess I sorta just deal with it? Only game offhand I can think of I've used a weapon wheel with the controller is GTAV and it wasn't TOO bad, though definitely slower than using a real analog stick to make the selection.

derFeef

Silly me, just use a mode switch to the according button... works that way the most easiest way. thanks anyway, yeah a touch menu would work too!

aeroslash

So the people likes the right haptic thing? I've had the controller for 4 months and i can't get used to it, really.

I'm still doubting on buying Dark souls on PC or on Ps4 just for the controller issue..

Oreoleo

Silly me, just use a mode switch to the according button... works that way the most easiest way. thanks anyway, yeah a touch menu would work too!

Can you elaborate on what you mean? Touch menus work but they are a royal pain to set up sometimes. If I can avoid it in the future I would like to :D

Nabs

So the people likes the right haptic thing? I've had the controller for 4 months and i can't get used to it, really.

I'm still doubting on buying Dark souls on PC or on Ps4 just for the controller issue..

If you have a PS4, then you have a DS4. Just plug it into your PC and grab either ds4windows or inputmapper and you're good to go. Friends don't let friends buy multiplatform games on console (when it's a decent port).

Back to your original question: Hell yes, I love the right touchpad. I feel like my thumb has become one with it. It controls beautifully when emulating a mouse, and it does a pretty good job at emulating an analog stick with Mouse-like Joystick.

Lork

Can you elaborate on what you mean? Touch menus work but they are a royal pain to set up sometimes. If I can avoid it in the future I would like to :D
I think they're saying they set up a mode switch triggered by the button that makes the weapon wheel appear. So you would press RB (for example) and it would tell the game to summon the weapon wheel and at the same time tell Steam to change the right trackpad to analog stick emulation. Then when you release the button because you're done choosing your weapon the right trackpad would change back to analog mouse mode.

aeroslash

Do you mean to use the DS4 on the PC? I wanted the comfy couch experience through the steam link..

If you have a PS4, then you have a DS4. Just plug it into your PC and grab either ds4windows or inputmapper and you're good to go. Friends don't let friends buy multiplatform games on console (when it's a decent port).

Back to your original question: Hell yes, I love the right touchpad. I feel like my thumb has become one with it. It controls beautifully when emulating a mouse, and it does a pretty good job at emulating an analog stick with Mouse-like Joystick.

Oreoleo

I think they're saying they set up a mode switch triggered by the button that makes the weapon wheel appear. So you would press RB (for example) and it would tell the game to summon the weapon wheel and at the same time tell Steam to change the right trackpad to analog stick emulation. Then when you release the button because you're done choosing your weapon the right trackpad would change back to analog mouse mode.

Oh, yeah. That makes a lot of sense!

Unai

It's always on here, in the middle, at least for the right trackpad.

Plum

Mine's just arrived in Britain, can't wait! £30 (DaS3 deal + P&P) isn't a bad price to pay for it at all.

Before it does arrive, can I ask how easy it is to get community profiles for non-Steam games? I ask because most of the Ubisoft games I own are Uplay-only (they were cheaper that way), and of course there's Origin games. Can I just go to say, Far Cry Primal's community hub in big picture and download profiles from there?

Sophia

Mine's just arrived in Britain, can't wait! £30 (DaS3 deal + P&P) isn't a bad price to pay for it at all.

Before it does arrive, can I ask how easy it is to get community profiles for non-Steam games? I ask because most of the Ubisoft games I own are Uplay-only (they were cheaper that way), and of course there's Origin games. Can I just go to say, Far Cry Primal's community hub in big picture and download profiles from there?

Games that are not on Steam period: Somewhat easy, because it uses whatever the name of the game is to decide controls.

Games that are on Steam, but your copy isn't: A little bit harder because there doesn't seem to be a way to pull up stuff from official Steam games. :\

Plum

Games that are not on Steam period: Somewhat easy, because it uses whatever the name of the game is to decide controls.

Games that are on Steam, but your copy isn't: A little bit harder because there doesn't seem to be a way to pull up stuff from official Steam games. :\

Huh, that's strange. Can you download profiles from a community hub without being in-game and without owning the game on Steam itself?

Unai

Huh, that's strange. Can you download profiles from a community hub without being in-game and without owning the game on Steam itself?

Yes. You can download profiles for any third party game or software. It uses the name of the shortcut as an ID. Sometimes you can have problems with ubisoft or origin games because of overlays or other factors.

Nabs

You just need to name the non-Steam shortcut correctly and you'll find configs if the game is popular enough. Example: Mass Effect 2 has about 10 public configs, and the top one has about 73 users.

Far Cry Primal is an interesting one. I haven't been able to find any public configs for it (I tried Far Cry Primal, Far Cry: Primal, and Far Cry® Primal). I recommend just starting off with the Gamepad with Camera Controls template. Increase the in game sensitivity, change the back paddles to fit your playstyle, and you're good to go. (I did make my Far Cry® Primal config public, but it's probably got too much going on.)

Plum

Yes. You can download profiles for any third party game or software. It uses the name of the shortcut as an ID. Sometimes you can have problems with ubisoft or origin games because of overlays or other factors.

You just need to name the non-Steam shortcut correctly and you'll find configs if the game is popular enough. Example: Mass Effect 2 has about 10 public configs, and the top one has about 73 users.

Far Cry Primal is an interesting one. I haven't been able to find any public configs for it (I tried Far Cry Primal, Far Cry: Primal, and Far Cry® Primal). I recommend just starting off with the Gamepad with Camera Controls template. Increase the in game sensitivity, change the back paddles to fit your playstyle, and you're good to go. (I did make my Far Cry® Primal config public, but it's probably got too much going on.)

Thanks. I'll just copy and paste the store page name to make sure it's correct. I'm assuming I can do the same for completely non-steam games (with a shortcut on Steam) like emulators and the like.

Nabs

Yep. Here's a shortcut named Dolphin:

HvGEO35.png

I installed and modded Planescape: Torment last night, intending on getting everything ready for when I finally go to sit down and play it. I've seen it mentioned in this thread a few times, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in using the Steam controller with it.

There's a community config for it with 30 users which uses touch menus on both pads for the hotkeys, but the steam overlay doesn't seem to work with this game, and touch menus also don't work in desktop mode, so I can't access these buttons in game. I'm guessing this config is just what the author hoped would work and they never took it down?

If there's no way to get this to work, I'll have to get creative with action sets to map everything. While the label of the current action set won't show up in game because of the lack of the overlay, at least the controller beep still works fine which should be good enough.

A tip for anyone who hasn't tried it yet: It defaults to your desktop config unless you go into the controller options and disable the Allow Desktop Configuration in Launcher setting.

edit: Came up with something without resorting to action sets. There're less keys to bind than I initially thought by looking at the other config.

derFeef

Exactly, sorry for being unclear :)

Varna

Just received my controller.

Feels pretty nice and is a lot smaller then I imagined it would be.

It's going to take a ton of time to get use to button layout though. Muscle memory is screwing me pretty hard on that front. Couldn't even play Dragons Dogma because of it. The trackpad doesn't seem very good for playing stuff like Enter The Gungeon either. I'll give it some time though.

Soodanim

That's useful info about shortcut names, I think it's time I added shortcuts for some GOG games. I haven't even finished the first castle/town bit of Witcher 2.

It's going to take a ton of time to get use to button layout though. Muscle memory is screwing me pretty hard on that front. Couldn't even play Dragons Dogma because of it. The trackpad doesn't seem very good for playing stuff like Enter The Gungeon either. I'll give it some time though.
It does take some getting used to, but it shouldn't take too long. Some basic controller layouts might help with the adjustment, but anything is probably good practise.

Did you try the various options for the right track pad? There should be a setting that works well, although I haven't tried any twin stick shooters yet.

Sophia

How does Enter the Gungeon control? I don't have it, but if you give us some specifics (digital movement vs analog, how it controls, basic gameplay, etc) then maybe we could give you some suggestions?

That's useful info about shortcut names, I think it's time I added shortcuts for some GOG games. I haven't even finished the first castle/town bit of Witcher 2.

It does take some getting used to, but it shouldn't take too long. Some basic controller layouts might help with the adjustment, but anything is probably good practise.

Did you try the various options for the right track pad? There should be a setting that works well, although I haven't tried any twin stick shooters yet.

I know for Assault Android Cactus the developer provided bindings bind everything like a controller, but use the two touchpads for moving and aiming. I switched it over to KB/M so the left pad moves, and the right pad controls an onscreen cursor using mouse region + autofire.

Crayon

There's some truth to that, but for every game that uses the right stick for camera control the default layout (with trackball mouse emulation mapped to right stick, and for my personal preferences slightly changed to low friction) already works better than a thumbstick.

All of this is YMMV of course.

Yup I can satart any 360-pad supported game and start playing comfortable with the default setting. And from there, it's excellent to just tweak the right pad/stick setting.

I've been hot on the trail of the superior right stick setting: I'm using a good amount of edge spin with a moderate edge spin speed, and maping a modified mouse-like joystick under that with the right pad click as the modifier. The modified one has slightly more edge spin area and slightly more edge spin speed.

I've been developing this based on my observations of my thumbstick-trained thumb and what it "wants" to do.

Nabs

I played about an hr of Gungeon last night, and a tweaked Mouse-Region setup works nicely. edit: Made a config called Praise the Gun if anyone was interested.

Sophia

I played about an hr of Gungeon last night, and a tweaked Mouse-Region setup works nicely. There's a config called Mouse-Screen Region that has a good right pad setup, but I recommend swapping around a few buttons to fit your style.

I looked at some quick gameplay videos, and yeah, mouse screen region is probably your best bet for that. Maybe put the dodge on one of the grips, assuming all primary functions are on the triggers and shoulder buttons.

It looks very similar to how you control Assault Android Cactus on the KB/M, to be honest. Shouldn't be too hard to make a variety of setups work.

Nzyme32

The Steam Controller GDC presentation is up: http://www.gdcvault.com/search.php#...ocus=&keyword=steam+controller&conference_id=

They start by breaking down the history and features of the controller, then go into how devs can help us by utilizing features of the controller.

Nice find. Interesting bits:

• 400,000 controllers with users
  • Controller revision in the works with better "look and feel"; no feature changes since they don't think it is necessary

Sounds good to me.

Unai

• Controller revision in the works with better "look and feel"; no feature changes since they don't think it is necessary

That's really interesting indeed. I was thinking about buying another one for local multiplayer, but now I'll just wait the revision.

Eusis

I would think at most figuring some twist on Microsoft's twisty D-Pad would not only be the one feature change I'd want but one that's infinitely more useful here. Imagine being able to recess part of the touch pad, or at least make it so it can go from normal touch pad to something that can truly pivot around. Too much to hope for I imagine, sounds like an engineering nightmare.

Sounds good to me.
This is awesome! I really love this controller and use it on as many games as possible. With a revision coming this can only get bigger and better. 400,000 controllers out there sounds like a pretty big start for such an interesting and unique controller.

Widge

I'm interested but also ired to hear about the revision. I'm wondering if this is going to be original Xbox to Xbox(s) situation...

Unai

Is it reasonable to expect that the revision will have better motion controls, IE, we won't need to calibrate it as often?

My Steam controller doesn't turn off my screensaver on the Windows OS when I let it idle. I have to go over to my mouse to turn off the screensaver. Any ideas why? It's a little annoying.

Zeknurn

Sounds good to me.

1. That's several hundred of thousands of more than I expected.

2. I'm disappointed they aren't adding lighthouse sensors to the revised version. It seems like a no brainer.

Parsnip

Mine arrived yesterday.

First impression, I'm surprised how loud the haptics are.
The facebuttons seem awkwardly placed and tiny for my big hands, though that could be just a thing that I'll get used to. Same with the rest of the controller, the shape is unusual so we'll see how it feels after a while.

And that's it. My internet's been out for a week or so, so testing it out on bunch of games is difficult at the moment. :)

Unai

Mine arrived yesterday.

First impression, I'm surprised how loud the haptics are.
The facebuttons seem awkwardly placed and tiny for my big hands, though that could be just a thing that I'll get used to. Same with the rest of the controller, the shape is unusual so we'll see how it feels after a while.

And that's it. My internet's been out for a week or so, so testing it out on bunch of games is difficult at the moment. :)

Make sure to update its firmware when you have Internet again.

Nabs

I think my Enter the Gungeon config (Praise the Gun) is decent. I'm just not very good at the game yet, so I can't say for sure.

It's a Mouse Region config with Dodge Roll and Reload on the Grips. I made Left Trigger the weapon select menu, so you can click it to swap guns, or hold it and use the analog stick to scroll through your collection in slow motion. X and Y handle reloading and item switching, but they'll drop the gun or item if you hold them down. Touch the left pad to pull up the map, and click the Right one to flip tables. Navigate Menus with the analog stick + A button.

I also made this fancy picture because I hate typing stuff like that ^^^. Shoutouts to Valve for the picture.

If anyone gives it a try, let me know what you think. Any kind of feedback is helpful.

Lister

Banned
I think my Enter the Gungeon config (Praise the Gun) is decent. I'm just not very good at the game yet, so I can't say for sure.

It's a Mouse Region config with Dodge Roll and Reload on the Grips. I made Left Trigger the weapon select menu, so you can click it to swap guns, or hold it and use the analog stick to scroll through your collection in slow motion. X and Y handle reloading and item switching, but they'll drop the gun or item if you hold them down. Touch the left pad to pull up the map, and click the Right one to flip tables. Navigate Menus with the analog stick + A button.

I also made this fancy picture because I hate typing stuff like that ^^^. Shoutouts to Valve for the picture.

If anyone gives it a try, let me know what you think. Any kind of feedback is helpful.

This would be a super cool feature. Turn your configuration into a a set of jpgs.

Nzyme32

One thing I want Valve to change, or rather add - mouse region should have a "rotation setting", just as the other mouse options allow. With Gungeon's mouse region setup, I have to use the pad differently to every other time I use it since the horizontal rotation is no longer there, which is immediately noticeable and screws up my accuracy. I rather not have to learn to different rotations setups

Nice. I've been using the top used binding, which is very similar. Really like it. I like that the Steam Controller has got to the point where a new game can have great bindings immediately after launch and using all the most appropriate features. Don't think I could have made a better one.

Nabs

Seeing all of the mouse region configs made me feel warm inside. Day 1 configs are improving!

This would be a super cool feature. Turn your configuration into a a set of jpgs.

That would be neat. I've always wanted something similar to it in game, maybe something simple you can pull up without having to go back to the config page.

Top Bottom