• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Burny

I believe you would have to configure it on a per-game basis.

Very easily, through the config menu you'll be using often with this device. And you can base new configs off of exported configs, so you can always go find an earlier, simpler bind with the swapped buttons that you had saved to make the process faster.

However, I think it's common for most SC users to map A and X to left and right grip, respectively. It works really well, since players tend to use those buttons so frequently. I tend to keep it like that, and use Y and B for secondary actions. Play around with it, though! Find what feels most comfortable.

Thanks. I'll give it a go once the controller arrives.

Guys that are using the controller for the first time to play dark souls 3: Beware that the first setting recomended by the developer is very different from the usual because they put more than one function in the triggers (soft pull and full pull). I recommend trying one of the other 2 (with or without motion controls).

I actually really liked the soft pull light attack, full pull heavy, but thought it needed a bit more haptic on the actuation point.

Again, if anyone has recommended settings for smooth camera control, let me know. I don't even need it to be precision based. I have yet to find a stutter / hitch free right pd solution, and with an Xbox controller whiting reach it's hard to justify the time spent searching.

derFeef

I actually really liked the soft pull light attack, full pull heavy, but thought it needed a bit more haptic on the actuation point.

Again, if anyone has recommended settings for smooth camera control, let me know. I don't even need it to be precision based. I have yet to find a stutter / hitch free right pd solution, and with an Xbox controller whiting reach it's hard to justify the time spent searching.

Having the pad on mouse, low acc and trackball medium friction with lowered sensitiviy (almost zero) it's very smooth for me. I let smoothing and scales at vanilla, those work for me.

Dmented

Banned
So just got my controller. It is... interesting. Going to take some time to get used to for sure. Had to make edits to the layout for Dark Souls III.

viveks86

How is this for racing games?

It's fine if you use it like a regular controller with the analog stick. The gyro is good if you mount the controller onto something that resembles a wheel.

Couldn't use the trackpad for steering at all. Racing and twin stick shooters were the only two genres where the trackpad felt totally counter intuitive.

derFeef

Mouse just remains not smooth for me. (Dark Souls 3)

I tried my best with joystick emulations and it's close enough I might continue, but it does stutter occasionally when I move the right pad counter to the left stick.

That's certainly weird. Do you notice hitching with your mouse as well? How much do you need to move your thumb for movement? I set it so (ingame), that I have to make bigger sweeps and it's not to overly sensitive. There is a "minimal input" setting as well in the advanced options, the exact name is escaping me right now. It can help maybe, but it introduced hitching for me so I left it at zero.

I have had this pad since day 1 and I still bloody hate it.

I don't know why they took out the middle ring on the trackpad - did I imagine that it originally had one?

For me, games that require a standard controller still work best on a standard controller.

I do love the paddles though, they're fantastic.

The trackpad stuff is just utter plop.

For me.

Stryder

I'm sorry if this has been covered but how does one use this controller with Star Wars Battlefront? I'm having trouble with launching the game in big picture mode, are there any settings (such as disabling the Origin overlay) which I need to look out for?

Foxyone

I think overall I prefer the controller in Dark Souls compared to the Xbox controller. Don't need to do the claw method to run and look around, and I don't have to stop moving to switch between equipment. I dunno if the controller would be capable of smooth enough movement to make a locked 30 fps feel "smooth" like an analog stick might tho.

Has anyone gotten the controller setup with camera movement that doesn't make 30 fps feel janky?

ZakiDeg

Banned
I'm sorry if this has been covered but how does one use this controller with Star Wars Battlefront? I'm having trouble with launching the game in big picture mode, are there any settings (such as disabling the Origin overlay) which I need to look out for?
Try to use the desktop configuration without using the Big Picture mode :
pdVqBKh.png

O3GYrpV.png

5funQuR.png

That's certainly weird. Do you notice hitching with your mouse as well? How much do you need to move your thumb for movement? I set it so (ingame), that I have to make bigger sweeps and it's not to overly sensitive. There is a "minimal input" setting as well in the advanced options, the exact name is escaping me right now. It can help maybe, but it introduced hitching for me so I left it at zero.

Using a regular mouse is totally smooth, feels fine when using. I've tried getting the sensitivity pretty low so that I use bigger swipes as well, but it results in this "stair stepping" where the camera is almost never panning smoothly. Edge scrolling on the mouse setting is actually the worst, but I haven't tried the minimal input mode.

Maybe I'm just trying to make the controller behave too much like a joystick. I'd just like to have a smooth mouse control on the right pad.

Nabs

I just increased smoothing and I was good to go. I also had to lower some settings to make sure I was at 60.

derFeef

Yes I think it is heavily dependent on your framerate as well. I never notice any difference in increasing or lowering the smoothing setting though.

Frame rate is locked 60 - I'm rocking a 980ti, it's no problem on Dark Souls.

Maybe I'll try and capture a video, because the stuttering of the steam controller is insane compared to just a regular Xbox one controller.

I've settled on the joystick emulation, which is disappointing but ok given the extra buttons.

Roarer

Mouse just remains not smooth for me. (Dark Souls 3)

I tried my best with joystick emulations and it's close enough I might continue, but it does stutter occasionally when I move the right pad counter to the left stick.

Have you tried lowering the sensitivity in the in-game options to zero? This worked wonders for me (in addition to turning acceleration on). I know someone recommended you lowering the sensitivity in the Steam Controller settings, not sure if you tried it in-game.

Was really bothered by the stuttery movement of the mouse track pad to the point that I first assumed I was having performance issues, but turning on RTSS and seeing a steady 60 fps made med dig into the settings and found a solution.

Grumbul

Picked this up a couple of days ago and been using it with 7D2D and it is phenomenal.

I'm really amazed at how fast I've been able to adapt to using this and it really is an amazingly enjoyable controller.

If they'd release something a little more 'premium' feeling I would not hesitate to upgrade already. Coming from the Xbox Elite controller it just feels 'cheap' which is unfair in many ways but that's how it comes across.

Very impressed thus far.

Anno

Is it normal for ReShade to just totally render a Steam controller useless? For DS3 at least it seems like adding in a preset shuts down the entire overlay and the controller config can't be changed at all.

laxu

Is it normal for ReShade to just totally render a Steam controller useless? For DS3 at least it seems like adding in a preset shuts down the entire overlay and the controller config can't be changed at all.

Yeah had that same issue and the controller defaults to desktop config. Really annoying as I love both ReShade and the Steam Controller.

Have you tried lowering the sensitivity in the in-game options to zero? This worked wonders for me (in addition to turning acceleration on). I know someone recommended you lowering the sensitivity in the Steam Controller settings, not sure if you tried it in-game.

Was really bothered by the stuttery movement of the mouse track pad to the point that I first assumed I was having performance issues, but turning on RTSS and seeing a steady 60 fps made med dig into the settings and found a solution.
Interesting to see the different control schemes everyone uses. I've only tried acceleration briefly in an fps but ended up going back to absolute movement since I found it easier to make medium to small movements without acceleration. I did find that large sweeping motions felt pretty fluid with acceleration though. I mainly just set in game mouse sensitivity to be very low and crank up the sensitivity of the touch pad - it feels more responsive to me that way.

After Fallout 4, I was a bit worried about DOOM 4 having exclusive control input, but I've been playing the open multiplayer beta, and simultaneous mouse and gamepad works fine! It's a bit of a relief, honestly. I know reception has been generally negative for DOOM 4's multiplayer, but it's some good mindless fun, and the simplified control set-up makes it a lot of fun to play with the Steam Controller, in my opinion. Only issue I've had is rumble turning on and off while aiming, but it's not that big of a deal.

I'll try and get my config up when I get home. I've just been too busy playing the game to make it any form of presentable, haha. I'm not sure how much the community will like it, since I'm one of the few people who uses the trackpad exclusively for aiming, but it'd probably be easy enough to slap gyro onto my config. It's pretty much the default bindings, but with the triggers mapped to the mouse buttons, left grip bound to jump, and the right grip bound to melee (since reloading is absent in this game).

Unai

About Dark Souls 3, did you guys find any effective way to change targets while locked-on using the right trackpad as a mouse?

shockdude

Steam Controller
  • Added the ability to bind left/right sticks as digital bindings.
  • Added the ability for the automatic action set on cursor visible/hidden to return to the previously used action set from the last transition
  • Fixed Mode Shifts not displaying properly in action set binding panels.
  • Fixed gamepad button highlights displaying offset when binding a gamepad button.
Is this what I think it is? Am I able to map the touchpad DPAD to individual directions on the analog stick?

Unai

New update:

Steam Controller
  • Added "Last Used Action Set" option to manual action set selection
  • Fixed binding screen showing Set Action Set option when the configuration was a Native application or had no action sets.

Grinchy

Banned
My brother bought me one of these along with Dark Souls 3 and I just got it last night. I hate to say it, but after 2 hours of troubleshooting and awkward flailing, I'm really surprised by how user unfriendly this thing is. I'm going to keep at it and try to figure this thing out, but my first impressions are really quite negative. I was getting really frustrated at it last night.

Burny

Got mine some days ago and like it so far. Only tested it against some bots in CS:GO and played the last mission of GTA5 with it. Worked great for the most part, but I need more time with it.

Placing "A" and "X" after the "B" and "Y" buttons when viewed from the right touchpad is something I consider decidedly poor judgement though. I probably can get used to it, but stretching the thumb down there doesn't come naturally, yet. Even less so as my muscle memory is used to the WiiU Pro Controller, which has the more sensible button layout in that regard imo.

I'd really like to switch those around for the Steam UI, but I see that the Big Picture specific configuration is not available yet? Any idea when that is coming? How is the controller configuration accessible from Steam normal's mode? Can I activate the trackpads for pointer control in Big Picture mode?

Placing "A" and "X" after the "B" and "Y" buttons when viewed from the right touchpad is something I consider decidedly poor judgement though. I probably can get used to it, but stretching the thumb down there doesn't come naturally, yet. Even less so as my muscle memory is used to the WiiU Pro Controller, which has the more sensible button layout in that regard imo.

The button layout mimics the Xbox controller. I prefer Nintendo's layout as well.

I'd really like to switch those around for the Steam UI, but I see that the Big Picture specific configuration is not available yet? Any idea when that is coming? How is the controller configuration accessible from Steam normal's mode? Can I activate the trackpads for pointer control in Big Picture mode?

That feature has been "coming soon" for a good five months now.

Burny

The button layout mimics the Xbox controller.

I know. And there have been more than enough people whining about the Wii U Pro controller's layout. It makes sense to have the most used buttons next to the stick and not furthest from it though.

The only scenario where I feel mimicking the button layout despite the wrong position of "A" and "X" relative to the stick placement makes sense, is when games show all four face buttons in their X-Box layout during prompts. Such games probably exist, but I can't remember playing any, yet.

That feature has been "coming soon" for a good five months now.

Mh. Not nice, but I can wait there.

Edit: I've read about complaints about the controller feeling "cheap". To me, the materials in themselves don't feel "cheap" to the touch. Not compared to other gamepads (haven't touched the XBone gamepad so far). What leaves a "cheap" impression to me is the hollow sound of the very clicky shoulder buttons for example. Otherwise I think the pad feels rather sturdy.

Grinchy

Banned
Tried some more Dark Souls 3 with it. Maybe I need to play a less frustrating game to get used to this thing. This has just been a very poor experience.

Coming up with things that this controller does better than my PS4 controller would be almost impossible. Coming up with things that this controller even does as well as a normal controller is proving difficult. I'm starting to wonder if this thing is just a huge blunder or if it's actually going to be possible for it to start feeling like it isn't a huge disadvantage.

Just moving the camera around and getting back to the face buttons is a huge chore compared to a regular controller. The "dpad" is cumbersome compared to a regular controller. I feel like the hardest enemy so far in DS3 has been the Steam controller.

Unai

Different tastes and all, but the thing I liked the most using this controller with Dark Souls 3 is exactly moving the camera around.

Anno

Yeah pretty much any game that controls a camera or aims a thing with the right pad is so much better on this than any other controller. To me pretty much anything is that isn't DPAD-only.

Durante

Coming up with things that this controller does better than my PS4 controller would be almost impossible.
But it does everything significantly better except for games which require directional digital movement (which an arcade stick is preferable for anyway).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I honestly would hate to play any Dark Souls on a traditional controller gain after getting used to precise camera controls and switching magic while walking (I put it on the left grip button). The camera is nice, but the spell switching is really an enormous improvement for someone who play a magic-focused build -- especially in PvP.

laxu

Tried some more Dark Souls 3 with it. Maybe I need to play a less frustrating game to get used to this thing. This has just been a very poor experience.

Coming up with things that this controller does better than my PS4 controller would be almost impossible. Coming up with things that this controller even does as well as a normal controller is proving difficult. I'm starting to wonder if this thing is just a huge blunder or if it's actually going to be possible for it to start feeling like it isn't a huge disadvantage.

Just moving the camera around and getting back to the face buttons is a huge chore compared to a regular controller. The "dpad" is cumbersome compared to a regular controller. I feel like the hardest enemy so far in DS3 has been the Steam controller.

In DS3 I mostly don't use the face buttons at all other than picking stuff up and switching to two handed mode. The grip buttons are fantastic as roll and use item. That said, there isn't all that much that differs from a regular controller in that game. I didn't like the right pad touch menu option in one of the default configs as I had huge difficulties hitting the right spot to change lock on. In my experience the Dpad works fine though.

Lork

Oh boy, they've rendered the controller unusable in a beta update again. I've rolled back to stable and am eagerly awaiting the day they push this broken update to the stable branch. You know it's coming.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Has Amazon restocked yet? I'm in Australia and it's pretty much impossible to find one locally and Steam isn't exactly giving a date to when it will be appearing.

Grinchy

Banned
In DS3 I mostly don't use the face buttons at all other than picking stuff up and switching to two handed mode. The grip buttons are fantastic as roll and use item. That said, there isn't all that much that differs from a regular controller in that game. I didn't like the right pad touch menu option in one of the default configs as I had huge difficulties hitting the right spot to change lock on. In my experience the Dpad works fine though.

I started out with a config that used dodge and heal on the grips. I liked it in theory, but as I was still getting used to this controller, I was hitting the heal button whenever I meant to dodge. I ended up changing it to have lock-on be a grip button and I was ok with that for a while.

It's just such an odd controller to get used to. I'll take me forever for this thing to feel natural. The face buttons just feel like they're so far away from the right trackpad.

But it does everything significantly better except for games which require directional digital movement (which an arcade stick is preferable for anyway).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I honestly would hate to play any Dark Souls on a traditional controller gain after getting used to precise camera controls and switching magic while walking (I put it on the left grip button). The camera is nice, but the spell switching is really an enormous improvement for someone who play a magic-focused build -- especially in PvP.
I can see that being nice for mage build. But until this controller starts feeling comfortable, the grips for me are just a means of overcoming poor button placement. If a button is difficult to reach in normal play, put it on the grip. But, on a normal controller, no button is difficult or tedious to reach/use.

I understand the grips allow you to press buttons while not taking your thumbs off of the movement/camera inputs, which is great. But after ~4 hours of tinkering with configs and trying to play games, the controller still just feels so foreign to me that it's a detriment and the grip advantage isn't overcoming how cumbersome everything else is.

All of that said, I'm not giving up yet.

Unai

I have never had a problem with the buttons. Maybe it's because I'm always playing with different controllers from Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo and even third parties. That might have helped a lot.

Top Bottom