• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

DBT85

Nearly finished portal yesterday with it. got used to it nice and fast which I was surprised with. Though I found the defaults for navigating around the Big Picture mode to be weird.

I like it so far!

How often are you guys changing batteries?

Nzyme32

Nearly finished portal yesterday with it. got used to it nice and fast which I was surprised with. Though I found the defaults for navigating around the Big Picture mode to be weird.

I like it so far!

Yeah, I'm also not too keen on the BPM controls. There are customisation options "coming soon" but still nothing has happened.

Batteries last an absurdly long time. Took me about 3 months for my original batteries to die. Even using the experimental rumble hasn't caused the controller to lose much battery

Foxyone

Dolphin + Steam Controller + Steam Link = Heaven.

I'd love to see that all in a handheld tbh.

I still feel like the controller is missing quite a few ease-of-use things. I still feel like I could easily get stuck on a UAC prompt if Steam doesn't start as admin, or maybe a game could fail to start or black screen, also resulting in either getting stuck or waiting a long time for it to close. And as far as I know you can't really tab out of games without giving up buttons somewhere (which would have been ok-ish if multi-mode shifts were a feature and allowed it to be inconsequential to have certain functions on the same button combos every time, rather than a bit iffy with action sets).

I'm really hoping BPM bindings can sort somethings out, like (and I can't say it enough) adding more options for Steam button combos like the screenshot one, but for custom functions. I want to bind useful windows functions like alt-tab or Win key + D to Steam button combos, along with even stuff like Vol+ / Vol- to the button and a trackpad; it just seems like it'd make things a lot easier because that kind of setup could be allowed to work universally with all Steam games without individually setting them up.

laxu

Simple workaround if you want to use Steam controller and ReShade at the same time: Set desktop configuration to whatever you use in the game.

As you might know, some recent Steam update broke compatibility with ReShade and Steam Overlay: If ReShade is enabled, Steam overlay is never attached to the game and thus the Steam Controller reverts to the desktop configuration.

I just tried setting the desktop configuration to what I use in Dark Souls 3 and it worked fine, the only thing you lose is the ability to change configuration mid game.

Sophia

I like it so far!

My steam controller gets constant use (at least an hour each day), and I've had to change them every two months.

Simple workaround if you want to use Steam controller and ReShade at the same time: Set desktop configuration to whatever you use in the game.

As you might know, some recent Steam update broke compatibility with ReShade and Steam Overlay: If ReShade is enabled, Steam overlay is never attached to the game and thus the Steam Controller reverts to the desktop configuration.

I just tried setting the desktop configuration to what I use in Dark Souls 3 and it worked fine, the only thing you lose is the ability to change configuration mid game.

I tried doing that yesterday but found out in the process that xinput emulation is disabled in desktop mode. meaning that for 99% of my own setups, desktop mode is useless :( Is this the case for you too or am I just fuckin up?

I installed and modded Planescape: Torment last night, intending on getting everything ready for when I finally go to sit down and play it.
A tip for anyone who hasn't tried it yet: It defaults to your desktop config unless you go into the controller options and disable the Allow Desktop Configuration in Launcher setting.
A month later and I'm about to start it up and couldn't get the controller to work using either the game settings or desktop mode. I must have had Steam running in admin mode the last time that I set it up since launching it as admin made it function as before. I'm running Windows 10 on this machine - don't know if running as admin is required on other OSes, but I thought that I'd post this on the off chance that someone was looking to play this on the steam controller.

Unai

Where is this setting "Allow Desktop Configuration in laucher" is supposed to be? I can't find it.

Edit: Found it. I though it was for games that have lauchers, but it seems it's only for shortcuts. I can make Fallout 1 work only in desktop mode so I thought this could be the solution.

laxu

I tried doing that yesterday but found out in the process that xinput emulation is disabled in desktop mode. meaning that for 99% of my own setups, desktop mode is useless :( Is this the case for you too or am I just fuckin up?

I've only tried DS3 and GTA V with it so far but both work as expected.

DBT85

Just playing a bit of Batman AA with it, really struggling with the camera movement on the right pad. Used the most popular configuration.

Where is this setting "Allow Desktop Configuration in laucher" is supposed to be? I can't find it.

Edit: Found it. I though it was for games that have lauchers, but it seems it's only for shortcuts. I can make Fallout 1 work only in desktop mode so I thought this could be the solution.

You should be able to add the exe as a non-steam game and even give it the same name in steam to get access to the community configurations. It likely won't count your playtime or give you achievements, but I'm curious is this would be a way to force a custom config.

laxu

Just playing a bit of Batman AA with it, really struggling with the camera movement on the right pad. Used the most popular configuration.

You probably want to use the mouse joystick mode. I ended up playing that game on a DS4 because I couldn't get the mouse mode working well.

Unai

You should be able to add the exe as a non-steam game and even give it the same name in steam to get access to the community configurations. It likely won't count your playtime or give you achievements, but I'm curious is this would be a way to force a custom config.

That's why I don't do it. I love my statistics way too much. Same reason I don't use Idle Master.

Any good resources on how to maximize the experience of using this controller? I just bought one today and I'm thinking about taking it back. I hate how it feels in my hands and I abhor the button placement on the front.

Grinchy

Banned
Any good resources on how to maximize the experience of using this controller? I just bought one today and I'm thinking about taking it back. I hate how it feels in my hands and I abhor the button placement on the front.

I was really pissed off at it at first too. I found that playing a new game with it is a good choice because you will develop a new muscle memory for it. Like, I can't play Rocket League with the Steam controller and I don't think I will ever be able to. But, forcing myself to use it for Dark Souls 3, a game I hadn't played previously on another controller, made me kinda love the thing.

Try putting the most used actions from the face buttons on the back grip buttons. This frees you up from having to reach the poorly-positioned buttons while you're getting used to it. It won't feel that bad forever, but it takes a lot of getting used to.

dsk1210

My controller has unfortunately stopped working.

Windows beeps when I plug in the dongle, but the controller will not sync at all.

Oreoleo

I almost sold mine after the first weekend as well because it was too different and unwieldy, and now it's my favorite controller I've ever used. Stick with it for a little bit more before you reach a final verdict. For me, it was like peeling an onion. Little by little, layer by layer I'd find a new feature or a new way to use a certain setting (trigger dampening, gyro controls, etc) that would feel revelatory in how I used the controller.

There wasn't a singular moment that made a lightbulb go off like, "Oh, THAT'S how I use this thing." It's a process where you become more aware of what it's capable of, and more comfortable implementing the full feature set into how you use it. You just have to put in the time, it's not gonna happen overnight.

I was really pissed off at it at first too. I found that playing a new game with it is a good choice because you will develop a new muscle memory for it. Like, I can't play Rocket League with the Steam controller and I don't think I will ever be able to. But, forcing myself to use it for Dark Souls 3, a game I hadn't played previously on another controller, made me kinda love the thing.

Same exact situation here. Even though my Rocket League config uses absolutely no features that aren't present on a 360 controller, it was the last game I felt comfortable using with the Steam controller because I was *so* used to playing it with a 360 controller. On the other hand, playing Half-Life 2 with it was perfect because I'd never played it with a controller before, and the game eases you into combat gently enough that I was able to get accustomed to the Steam controller bit by bit without feeling like I was jumping into the deep end.

Boxuv

Neo Member
My controller has unfortunately stopped working.

Windows beeps when I plug in the dongle, but the controller will not sync at all.

Had something similar just after getting the controller last year. Think i had to uninstall the drivers from the system, so steam would reinstall them from scratch.

dsk1210

Had something similar just after getting the controller last year. Think i had to uninstall the drivers from the system, so steam would reinstall them from scratch.

What driver did you delete? I can't ever remember installing a driver.

Boxuv

Neo Member
What driver did you delete? I can't ever remember installing a driver.

I followed AngryHatter's guide back then on this topic, though it doen't seem to show up as a razor device anymore:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/353370/discussions/0/496881136917263881/

Another way to find it in device manager:
Under 'view' select 'devices by connection'
Expand until you get to your USB devices
Under those find an USB device that appears and disappear once you connect and disconnect your controller.
http://imgur.com/LHIySKP

Swapping USB slot might also help/work.

dsk1210

I followed AngryHatter's guide back then on this topic, though it doen't seem to show up as a razor device anymore:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/353370/discussions/0/496881136917263881/

Another way to find it in device manager:
Under 'view' select 'devices by connection'
Expand until you get to your USB devices
Under those find an USB device that appears and disappear once you connect and disconnect your controller.
http://imgur.com/LHIySKP
Swapping USB slot might also help/work.

Thanks. I tried Swapping ports but no luck.
I will try this when I get home.

Edit.

This did work, I had to delete my USB composite device and then boot into steam big picture, once inside I had to go to add controller and hold x and the steam logo for about 5 seconds.

Might help if anybody has the same problem.

I tried Rise of the Tomb Raider with the Steam controller using the second configuration that someone suggested (gamepad emulation, but using the left trigger switches to full mouse movement), but even with the in-game sensitivity maxed out, the mouse emulated right stick is way too slow. Before I go back to using DS4Windows and my dualshock 4, I think I'll try out the pure K+M configuration (the top community config on Steam) and see if I'm able to get used to it.

So far for me, every console port game I've tried I've felt like has been better with a regular gamepad than the Steam controller. MGSV was close to being great, but I didn't like WASD movement of the character in Mouse+Keyboard mode, and I've never been a fan of the right analog mouse emulation thing they added. In MGSV specifically, it just wasn't smooth enough.

I still haven't tried many non-gamepad enabled games with the Steam Controller yet, but I'm planning on playing through Jedi Outcast again with it to see how I like it.

Owari

After using the Vive for a few days, I really hope the next gen Steam Controller has positional tracking. Would be great if it worked like the Vive controllers in VR.

Boxuv

Neo Member
After using the Vive for a few days, I really hope the next gen Steam Controller has positional tracking. Would be great if it worked like the Vive controllers in VR.

Battery life will probably become an issue. They might have to make it rechargeable, or offer it with 2 pairs of rechargeable batteries?

Eusis

I do feel like the Steam Controller could be the perfect core game VR controller though (and the DS4 isn't far behind.) Have motion tracking, and the track pads for doing things with your thumbs like the Vive controller already has... But yeah, getting a light or something on that will eat batteries as the DS4 already highlighted.

Anteater

just bought one, had some issues with it it was kind of messed up after plugging it in and installing the drivers, I thought it was just the settings since it felt horrible, after turning it off and rebooting it's fine, still trying to get familiar with it, I can use it for my desktop just fine and I'd say it's really good, much better than my shitty 5 dollar mouse at least.

Went and finished Firewatch with it since it has native support, reading the reddit list I don't think there are many games I have that do, any games with good configs? I tried wolfenstein the new order earlier and man it's much harder now.

Haven't actually read this thread, a bit tired after messing around with it for the last few hours, the issues I mentioned earlier was kind of crappy since I thought it'd work right out of the box for me, but I'm kind of excited to use it some more, because it's been a while since I get to try something "new" with gaming.

laxu

just bought one, had some issues with it it was kind of messed up after plugging it in and installing the drivers, I thought it was just the settings since it felt horrible, after turning it off and rebooting it's fine, still trying to get familiar with it, I can use it for my desktop just fine and I'd say it's really good, much better than my shitty mouse at least.

Went and finished Firewatch with it since it has native support, reading the reddit list I don't think there are many games I have that do, any games with good configs? I tried wolfenstein the new order earlier and man it's much harder now.

Haven't actually read this thread, a bit tired after messing around with it for the last few hours, the issues I mentioned earlier was kind of crappy since I thought it'd work right out of the box for me, but I'm kind of excited to use it some more, because it's been a while since I get to try something "new" with gaming.

Tons of games have configs that work well with the game but expect to adjust settings to make them work to your liking. For FPS games it's a good idea to make a config that works with the gyro for fine aiming.

I usually start with a basic gamepad setup and then try to make it work with both gamepad and mouse (or mouse joystick in games where that doesn't work well with the gamepad at the same time).

Durante

After using the Steam controller for probably ~400 hours of gaming (100 of those DS3) I'm starting to think that the one thing I'd want iterate on in a new version is having split grip buttons (so 4 in total). Or at least I'd like to try it. The grip buttons are a revelation e.g. in Dark Souls.

After using the Steam controller for probably ~400 hours of gaming (100 of those DS3) I'm starting to think that the one thing I'd want iterate on in a new version is having split grip buttons (so 4 in total). Or at least I'd like to try it. The grip buttons are a revelation e.g. in Dark Souls.
I definitely want four grip buttons. It would mean that ABXY can easily be remapped so that you don't need to take your thumb off the right track pad.

Eusis

Works for the Xbox Elite controller, should work here!

Anteater

I really like using this for my web browsing on desktop.

I think the one thing that's really hard to get used to are the buttons, I feel like they're a bit too far from the trackpad, because with the dualshock I have a really huge habit of using the stick with my lower thumb while pressing buttons, so I might need to start remapping buttons to the grip buttons.

Tons of games have configs that work well with the game but expect to adjust settings to make them work to your liking. For FPS games it's a good idea to make a config that works with the gyro for fine aiming.

I usually start with a basic gamepad setup and then try to make it work with both gamepad and mouse (or mouse joystick in games where that doesn't work well with the gamepad at the same time).

yeah I think I'm going to get into the habit of making profiles, seems like people have really different preference than me most of the time, lol

Couldn't agree more. Gimmie those, scroll wheel shoulders and a proper d-pad, and a Steam Controller V2 would be the perfect controller for me.

sheaaaa

What do the grip buttons do in Dark Souls? I tried DS3 with my Steam Controller but gave up very quickly. Both because I'm completely used to the XB1/PS4 style of controller with Souls games and also because I couldn't stand having no d-pad to scroll through the menus with.

I had dodge on left grip and use item on right grip in DS3. Never having to use the face buttons during combat was great, always in total control of the camera when I needed to be.

Eusis

I stuck with the DS4 mainly because it felt better at 30-ish FPS, but with the grip pads you can dash or use items without moving your thumbs or using the Claw. And if the touch menu kills your FPS you could do something like use Right Grip to make the right pad into a D-Pad for switching items.

Nzyme32

Yeah, it would definitely be nice to have I think.

What do the grip buttons do in Dark Souls? I tried DS3 with my Steam Controller but gave up very quickly. Both because I'm completely used to the XB1/PS4 style of controller with Souls games and also because I couldn't stand having no d-pad to scroll through the menus with.

I've personally just placed dash on the grip buttons, but don't use them a lot.

With regards to the d-pad, try setting "Required click" to off and "Layout" to "Radial without overlap". That way you basically just have to touch the d-pad to swap items / navigate the menus, which I have found works really well in a several games that have (item) menus, Dark Souls included. It does take a little bit of getting used to, but it's basically my go-to where possible.

Unai

I have run/dodge on the right grip and hold with both hands in the left grip.

Ucchedavāda;202941819 said:
I've personally just placed dash on the grip buttons, but don't use them a lot.

With regards to the d-pad, try setting "Required click" to off and "Layout" to "Radial without overlap". That way you basically just have to touch the d-pad to swap items / navigate the menus, which I have found works really well in a several games that have (item) menus, Dark Souls included. It does take a little bit of getting used to, but it's basically my go-to where possible.

Yeah, I always change the dpad to "Radial without overlap" in these cases that I want to use the dpad in menus or to change weapons/items. But Required click is always ON to me. I can't stand using the DPAD as touch controls.

I'd mentioned some help on getting this to work with visual pinball. I finally took the time to make it happen. I created a batch file to open directly to the pinball table, then converted batch to .exe and then added to steam as shortcut. This allowed me to configure the controller for playing pinball rather than the editor.

Maybe obvious, but thought I'd share in any case.

So pretty much any VN I try refuses to play nice with big picture mode. Usually after pressing the steam button on the controller, it will take a while while for the BPM screen to appear (if it appears at all), inputs will become sluggish, and the window on top will keep switching between the visual novel and the big picture mode settings. Happens in Fruits of Grisaia, World End Economica, Long Live the Queen, and The Royal Trap.

Anteater

Modern warfare works really well with the controller, and a good game to practice with

So far I've got 2 games that I probably wouldn't have played (yet) if it weren't for the controller, modern warfare and beyond good and evil, can't wait to pick up all those old fps games on a sale

dangeROSS

So after reading this thread a bit and some other people talk about how they hold the Steam Controller, I started holding my controller differently the other day and it's starting to click with me. And I think I might actually even be liking the controller more now.

I used to hold it like I hold any other controller - With my index fingers moving from Bumper to Trigger during gameplay and the rest of my fingers holding the grip of the controller. But I recently moved my hand position. Now I have my index fingers kept on the bumpers, middle fingers kept on the triggers, and my other two fingers to grip the controller and use the paddles on the back. My hand seems to fit to the contour of the controller a bit more, allows me to use more actions quicker without having to change fingers, and lets my thumb have a better angle to access the trackpad easier. I think it felt more comfortable for gyro usage as well.

It is taking some time to adjust to actually use all my fingers while playing games though. I have to re-train my brain and muscle reflexes a bit. Maybe I have been holding controllers wrong all my life and am just now realizing the error of my ways. But thought I would share this tidbit.

Eusis

Dark Souls could be a good one to train with given how it uses shoulder buttons for attacks. You'd probably be more inclined to keep the controller that way as a result.

Top Bottom