• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Crayon

Nintendo or Dualshock 2/3 style dpad in the revision, split the back paddle buttons into two making it four total.... and this thing is perfect. I've been avoiding 2D games (Salt and Sanctuary mostly) because of the terrible dpad on this thing and I don't have another pad.

I wouldn't mind a dpad but there's nowhere to put it.

Foxyone

Yeah, I dunno where you'd put a d-pad. I definitely wouldn't give up a TrackPad or the analog stick for one. Well, maybe just maybe the left trackpad if Valve would allow many more mode shifting options so everything could be mapped to the right pad.

Crayon

Yeah, I dunno where you'd put a d-pad. I definitely wouldn't give up a TrackPad or the analog stick for one. Well, maybe just maybe the left trackpad if Valve would allow many more mode shifting options so everything could be mapped to the right pad.

I wouldn't give up the symmetrical trackpads or the analog stick for a dpad. The left pad does well enough as a dpad anyhow. And given the situation with the face buttons, I'd just as soon keep around an appropriately classic controller for classic style games.

That said, I play all my platformers and 2d games with the steam controller using the trackpads for dpad and buttons. I could plug in a dual shock but I've become somewhat obsessed with configuring the steam controller for all types of games.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Loving the controller so far, an amazing replacement to my mouse and keyboard for those times where I just want to relax. I have however been unable to find a decent layout to playing WoW with the controller despite adding the exe to Steam and searching for user created layouts.

Any suggestions or tutorials?

Loving the controller so far, an amazing replacement to my mouse and keyboard for those times where I just want to relax. I have however been unable to find a decent layout to playing WoW with the controller despite adding the exe to Steam and searching for user created layouts.

Any suggestions or tutorials?

Go into BPM, Settings then Configurations under Controller. With other Blizzard games like Overwatch and Diablo 3 I just change the desktop configuration because you have to use Blizzard's launcher to play them. Haven't played WoW but there is a configuration there called "WoW Levelling" or something similar.

Jinkies

Nintendo or Dualshock 2/3 style dpad in the revision, split the back paddle buttons into two making it four total.... and this thing is perfect. I've been avoiding 2D games (Salt and Sanctuary mostly) because of the terrible dpad on this thing and I don't have another pad.

The controller has the best d-pad.

Anteater

shadow warriors is great with the steam controller, still feel weird at times, I feel like my thumb is still struggling when I'm trying to make fast reaction or do things out of reflex, the thumb still thinks it's using a stick, lol.

Still not sure what to do with weapons switching in these games, left touch pad is great but I still need to lift my left thumb for that which means I stop moving for a bit

yeah I think having 2 more grip buttons would be useful but not sure if they would be hard to click

Foxyone

I wish I had more time to test WoW with the controller, but my free 7 days end tomorrow T^T

I'd like to think I would have been able to get a handle on healing lvl 90 dungeons with the controller if I used it for more than one boss. All function buttons to target party members on the left pad and all the spells on the right one seemed like the right idea (without using addons), but the urge to switch to m + kb when things looked bad was too strong. I didn't want to wipe the party because I was trying to learn to heal with a controller.

I now have 40 hours on the steam clock in Stellaris while regularly making use of touch menus and have only had Steam crash once so far, and that was from opening BPM and trying to go to the web browser. Prior to the release of this controller I'd avoided using BPM as it had a tendency to crash often and as recent as XCOM 2's release even occasional use of touch menus would crash Steam and then the game to the point where I had to stop using them altogether. Compared to my previous experiences, this is a huge improvement in stability and as a result, usability of this controller. I'm praying that this is something that Valve has fixed in recent months and not just unique to this game.

Decado

Is there a way to quickly port certain settings to different profiles? Like the gyro settings? Annoying to keep setting it up.

The end of my return period for the controller from Gamesrop ended this weekend. I ended up returning it.

It was a neat novelty but not worth $50 IMO. And not something I could use on a regular basis. Would much rather play on my 360 pad than re-learn how to play in the Steam controller. Definitely see how users could spent the time to get engrained into the intricacies of the controller for sure though.

Oreoleo

Is there a way to quickly port certain settings to different profiles? Like the gyro settings? Annoying to keep setting it up.

It is possible to save a config as a "template" that can then be used in any game. Make a bare bones config (the things that wouldn't really change game to game like the horizontal orientation of the right pad) as a template and go from there. Will cut your editing time in half.

You can also port in, for example, your Half-Life 2 config to use in Episode 1 and 2 without having to re-do everything.

Oreoleo

So how are things with the controller compared to the state of it's launch? Pretty good?

It definitely seems like things have settled down re: beta updates breaking things twice a week like was happening at the beginning of the year. They've added a TON of features in the 8 or 9 months since launch. I still wouldn't recommend it to someone who doesn't want to get their hands dirty and only rely on community configs (maybe when they add a user rating system that will change), but other than that yeah things have been great lately. There's been a handful of 3rd games shipping with built-in configs too, like XCOM 2, Firewatch, and that Atari game bundle from a month or two ago. No complaints here.

I'd like to see templates that could be applied to existing configurations. Basically a set of favourited settings for stuff like mouse/gyro sensitivity, dpad type, haptics levels; things that you would tend to tweak on every config to your liking. As it stands the existing templates are nice for saving these preferences when starting your own config from scratch, but it can still take quite a bit of time to flesh out a config depending on the game, and while you can grab a community config that's tailored for the game I still end up having to make my own adjustments on almost every one. A community rating system and a way to more quickly apply your own adjustments would go a long way towards making it a more pick up and play experience.

Sophia

I'd like to see templates that could be applied to existing configurations. Basically a set of favourited settings for stuff like mouse/gyro sensitivity, dpad type, haptics levels; things that you would tend to tweak on every config to your liking. As it stands the existing templates are nice for saving these preferences when starting your own config from scratch, but it can still take quite a bit of time to flesh out a config depending on the game, and while you can grab a community config that's tailored for the game I still end up having to make my own adjustments on almost every one. A community rating system and a way to more quickly apply your own adjustments would go a long way towards making it a more pick up and play experience.

While it requires tinkering with the files and can't be done through the UI yet, there is a way to add your own templates to do something like this.

2complex4me tho.

laxu

So how are things with the controller compared to the state of it's launch? Pretty good?

A lot better. Less bugs, tons more features, no need to use Big Picture mode anymore.

On the bad side at the moment using ReShade (and I assume other 3rd party overlays) breaks the Steam Overlay and thus the controller defaults to desktop configuration. Getting around that means you need to setup your desktop configuration to what you would use in the game. Hopefully this is eventually fixed.

It still requires configuration even when using popular setups as the sensitivities etc might not be to your liking and overall is a controller for those who like to get the most out of their input devices rather than just plug and play.

I would instantly buy an updated version if it had more grip buttons as those are just fantastic.

Durante

It's great. It got easier to use without any loss (and even a further gain!) in versatility and customization options.

I would instantly buy an updated version if it had more grip buttons as those are just fantastic.
Yeah, same here. And maybe the build quality of the Vive controllers, even if it makes it slightly more expensive :p

While it requires tinkering with the files and can't be done through the UI yet, there is a way to add your own templates to do something like this.

2complex4me tho.

I totally forgot that the config files are stored in plain text. I've been meaning to teach myself how to code, so maybe this could be a summer project.

Red

Steam controller weird for anyone else in 2013 Tomb Raider? It's got this annoying stuttery movement and is very slow when aiming, using gamepad+camera controls. In game sensitivity is maxed on the slider.

pmj

Steam controller weird for anyone else in 2013 Tomb Raider? It's got this annoying stuttery movement and is very slow when aiming, using gamepad+camera controls. In game sensitivity is maxed on the slider.

I'm probably playing the game on a different OS than you (Linux, a recent release) but I don't think they changed anything to how it handles input and I agree that camera controls feel bad. I don't remember any stutter to walking though, except when trying to combine joystick and mouse. The game switches between pad and kb+m input on the fly and as it does some input is dropped for a second or two, making the game unplayable.

I never tried to map keyboard and mouse on the controller before uninstalling. Losing analog movement is typically a deal breaker for me but that might be something to try.

Something I found interesting is that the devs of the Linux port have said that the game has been tested with the Steam controller. Tested and deemed garbage to be good enough, apparently. It really sums up the support this device is being given, even for SteamOS releases where the Steam controller is the default: little to none.

Red

Character movement is okay for me, it's the aiming that's causing trouble. The cursor moves in fits and starts. It's not unplayable but it's far from smooth. I'm on Windows 10.

impact

Banned
The controller has the best d-pad.

lol

I mean I like the steam controller.... but fucking lol

I wouldn't mind a dpad but there's nowhere to put it.

I meant instead of the current wannabe dpad/touch pad thing. I like the touchpad in place of a right analog stick, but it's a garbage solution for a dpad.

I think I may just order one of those Saturn USB pads for 2D games and use the Steam pad for non dpad games.

I have no issues aiming with it using the gyro.

Mivey

Have their been any news or further rumors on the look and feel update for the Steam Controller? If it still arrives this decade, it might be worth waiting, but seeing how it's Valve that might be too optimistic.

Unai

lol

I mean I like the steam controller.... but fucking lol

I meant instead of the current wannabe dpad/touch pad thing. I like the touchpad in place of a right analog stick, but it's a garbage solution for a dpad.

I think I may just order one of those Saturn USB pads for 2D games and use the Steam pad for non dpad games.

I agree that the dpad is not good for real dpad uses, but I don't know if I would want to trade it. It's really useful as a touch menu in some games.

Sophia

I think mainly the left pad that functions as a D-Pad is too big. That's the biggest issue with it. You can get around it somewhat by setting a moderate deadzone + crossgate tho.

At the same time, it's hard to change because the right pad can't be made any smaller. It already suffers from having smaller range than a traditional mouse/mousepad.

Crayon

Character movement is okay for me, it's the aiming that's causing trouble. The cursor moves in fits and starts. It's not unplayable but it's far from smooth. I'm on Windows 10.

Some games take use thumbstick input that way I know what you are talking about. It really puts a damper on the mouse-like joystick input. You have to put in some edge roll setting. That take a bit to get used to using but it works great in general and especially games that do what you're talking about here.

Nabs

Just finished DOOM with the Steam Controller. The game was great, and so was the controller. I never felt limited by the controller. It's even better with a Weapon Touch Menu (Touch Release), making quick weapon switching possible. The experimental rumble was also a nice touch.

Red

I think the experimental rumble is a commendable effort, but takes away more than it adds. The beep boop 8 bit effect is a cool novelty.

For those struggling with the SC's lack of a d-pad, setting the analog stick into directional pad mode, haptics to high, and deadzone to 75% makes it a nice d-pad substitute. Almost feels like an arcade stick, IMO. Though I do agree they should drop the left pad for a d-pad (or an alt. version?). I understand why it's there, but I hardly ever use it.

Also, Terarria received official gamepad suppport today, and I just wanted to let everyone know I posted a bind (that's probably all the way at the bottom of the list) which takes the best from both input methods. Feel free to use it if you need a base for your own configuration!

I'm probably playing the game on a different OS than you (Linux, a recent release) but I don't think they changed anything to how it handles input and I agree that camera controls feel bad. I don't remember any stutter to walking though, except when trying to combine joystick and mouse. The game switches between pad and kb+m input on the fly and as it does some input is dropped for a second or two, making the game unplayable.

I never tried to map keyboard and mouse on the controller before uninstalling. Losing analog movement is typically a deal breaker for me but that might be something to try.

Something I found interesting is that the devs of the Linux port have said that the game has been tested with the Steam controller. Tested and deemed garbage to be good enough, apparently. It really sums up the support this device is being given, even for SteamOS releases where the Steam controller is the default: little to none.

I remember TR being one of those games that can't do simultaneous controller and mouse input. I had success in setting the right pad as mouse-like-joystick and maxing in game sensitivity. Pretty much behaved like a real mouse at that point.

AlterOdin

Is this available yet in euro-land? Seems like I have been waiting forever, and steam pages just says "coming soon" for a year+. (norway)

Any developments you know of?

Sophia

For those struggling with the SC's lack of a d-pad, setting the analog stick into directional pad mode, haptics to high, and deadzone to 75% makes it a nice d-pad substitute. Almost feels like an arcade stick, IMO. Though I do agree they should drop the left pad for a d-pad (or an alt. version?). I understand why it's there, but I hardly ever use it.

Also, Terarria received official gamepad suppport today, and I just wanted to let everyone know I posted a bind that's probably all the way at the bottom of the list which takes the best from both input methods. Feel free to use it if you need a base for your own configuration!

Can confirm that this setting for the analog stick works really well. I've been using it for Darius Burst.

Also, woah at the PC version of Terraria getting gamepad support. That's awesome.

atr0cious

Anyone know a sure way to get the controller to work with origin games, specifically PVZ? I've made everything an administrator, turned off the origin overlay, and its still not even recognizing my controller being present.

Boxuv

Neo Member
I would not drop the left pad for d-pad, would limit the flexibility too much. Might just refine it a bit further to make it act better in the role of d-pad, or perhaps wok out a way to swap out or add a cover on top of pad to act as d-pad.

Anyone know a sure way to get the controller to work with origin games, specifically PVZ? I've made everything an administrator, turned off the origin overlay, and its still not even recognizing my controller being present.
I've never had any issues adding exe files of Origin games as non-Steam games. I've put many hours into 1 and 2 with the Steam Controller. Are you running in BPM? Try it that way; in some cases, the overlay wont load for me otherwise.

Red

I remember TR being one of those games that can't do simultaneous controller and mouse input. I had success in setting the right pad as mouse-like-joystick and maxing in game sensitivity. Pretty much behaved like a real mouse at that point.
I'll have to try that.

Nabs

I think the experimental rumble is a commendable effort, but takes away more than it adds. The beep boop 8 bit effect is a cool novelty.

What does it take away exactly? I play games with it on the lowest setting and it usually feels great.

atr0cious

I've never had any issues adding exe files of Origin games as non-Steam games. I've put many hours into 1 and 2 with the Steam Controller. Are you running in BPM? Try it that way; in some cases, the overlay wont load for me otherwise.

Yea, I do BPM, then when I press the steam button it just brings it to the front instead of engaging as the game I'm playing. I can feel the haptics like my sensitivities are set, but it never triggers anything, so I can only ever use M/kb. I've got 2 different exe's and origin connected to steam and none of them work. I don't have problems with bnet or uplay.

kinggroin

Banned
Controller plays well with Vive FYI. Thought I'd throw that in here. Just wish it had a sensor on it that the light houses would see, that way I'm not fumbling for it (I have the glitchy Vive camera disabled).

Red

What does it take away exactly? I play games with it on the lowest setting and it usually feels great.
It doesn't ever feel like a true rumble motor, and I don't appreciate it in the same way. It's very noisy and does more to distract than to engage me.

I think the primary difference is, while the haptic motor in the Steam controller does a great job providing feedback on where your fingers are on the pads (I think of it zeroing in on fingers like currents in a plasma globe), it does not give any feedback about directionality of movement through rumble. With a normal vibration motor, you get a sense of push and pull and shifting weight, and the rumble typically syncs with a game to create a more natural sense of action. If you're playing a racing game, and you hit a barrier on your right side, a vibration motor gives you a sense of that drag. It puts more emphasis on certain areas, and performs different motions for different situations. The Steam controller just shakes. So you don't get that sort of individualized feedback. Where another controller might tell you, "you're balancing during a minor earthquake, while rifle fire whizzes past your head—one bullet on your left, two on the right; a grenade," the Steam controller says, "a thing happened." It offers no nuance. It trades the brush strokes of an artist for finger paint on a man with no hands.

But I guess I still haven't answered the question. What does it take away? Nothing in any concrete sense. It provides some kind of feedback. But it's clumsy. After years of gaming with rumble (who else remembers sliding bricks into the ass end of their trident controllers?), I've developed an expectation of a sense of connection between the motion of a rumble and the action of a game. The Steam controller doesn't have that connection, and every time it shakes it reminds me of the disconnect. Does more to annoy me than to give me an appreciation of its suggestion of action.

The idea of replacing the left pad for a dpad is crazy to me. The left pad provides so much more utility than a dpad can offer and outright replacing it would be robbing the controller of what makes it so unique in the first place. As it stands, even if it doesn't always feel great it still works as a dpad for everything if you need it, but more importantly, we're on an open platform where we can use another controller with a better dpad if the game calls for it. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have my cake and eat it too, so I wouldn't be opposed to swap-able parts or some sort of attachment to make it feel more like a proper dpad, but if it comes down to one or the other, I'll take the touch pad in a heartbeat.

Yea, I do BPM, then when I press the steam button it just brings it to the front instead of engaging as the game I'm playing. I can feel the haptics like my sensitivities are set, but it never triggers anything, so I can only ever use M/kb. I've got 2 different exe's and origin connected to steam and none of them work. I don't have problems with bnet or uplay.

If you're running Windows 10, have you tried setting Origin to Windows 7 compatibility mode?

Sophia

The idea of replacing the left pad for a dpad is crazy to me. The left pad provides so much more utility than a dpad can offer and outright replacing it would be robbing the controller of what makes it so unique in the first place. As it stands, even if it doesn't always feel great it still works as a dpad for everything if you need it, but more importantly, we're on an open platform where we can use another controller with a better dpad if the game calls for it. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have my cake and eat it too, so I wouldn't be opposed to swap-able parts or some sort of attachment to make it feel more like a proper dpad, but if it comes down to one or the other, I'll take the touch pad in a heartbeat.

Honestly, I think some software improvements or a resized left pad could help with that.

Stronger haptics, if possible, would be a nice start.

Plus, removing it would screw isometric games.

Top Bottom