• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Krejlooc

Banned
This may have been answered already and I missed it, but when using gamepad+mouse in Mad Max and Batman Arkham Knight, I can't move the camera while moving but can when stationary.
I messed with the binding but couldn't find a solution. Is this a limitation or am I missing something? Gamepad+mouse is useless if I can't control the camera during movement....

Its the games themselves. What is happening is that it is actually switching hundreds of times per second from mouse to gamepad. You might not notice it, but you CAN move the mouse in Batman (well, arkham asylum at least, haven't tried Knight), but it moves at what seems like a snails pace. If you crank the sensitivity way up, it becomes more obvious what is going on.

Best bet is to cross your fingers and hope WB fixes the issue, otherwise use a binding that is KB&M but feels like the gamepad.

Despite Purolator's best efforts, I got my controller today. Played a bunch of Portal 2, and so far it feels great. It's more comfortable than I thought it would be. I naturally hold controllers with a pretty loose grip, which seems ideal for the steam controller. Trackball mode on the touch pad mostly works as well as I'd hoped, but it is a bit squirrely when you leave your finger on the pad without moving it, which isn't ideal. Going to try a few more games and see if it holds up.

This may have been answered already and I missed it, but when using gamepad+mouse in Mad Max and Batman Arkham Knight, I can't move the camera while moving but can when stationary.
I messed with the binding but couldn't find a solution. Is this a limitation or am I missing something? Gamepad+mouse is useless if I can't control the camera during movement....

Just use a keyboard and mouse binding set, so many games have issues using gamepad and mouse input at the same time that I wonder what they were thinking in giving people that expectation and having it feature so prominently in the template list.

As long as you use a reverse deadzone modifier on your analog movement stick for a walk binding and have mouse camera control, you won't really notice the lack of analog movement in most games. 8 directions + mouse angling is enough for almost everything.

Krejlooc

Banned

c3CVHzN.gif

Veal

You young guys who grew up with dual analog sticks may not realize this, but there used to be huge paradigm shifts in controllers like this all the time!

This is the first major change in controllers in almost 20 years! Long, long overdue.
No lies detected.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I'm liking the controller so far. Mouse mapped to the right pad is awesome thus far for Witcher 3.

My only problem is that I need another controller now. I need one for my link in the basement and one for my PC upstairs.

ricki42

Has anyone tried Mark of the Ninja? I used the default gamepad configuration, and most buttons are messed up, like right trigger seems to be d-pad up, things like that. When I go into the game's settings, it seems to get confused and think I'm using kb&m, and even 'A' to select stops working, and I have to use the controller as a mouse to get out of the settings menu.
I usually play the game with a Logitech controller which works fine, but I had similar issues (weird button mapping) playing the game with a DS4.

Krejlooc

Banned
Has anyone tried Mark of the Ninja? I used the default gamepad configuration, and most buttons are messed up, like right trigger seems to be d-pad up, things like that. When I go into the game's settings, it seems to get confused and think I'm using kb&m, and even 'A' to select stops working, and I have to use the controller as a mouse to get out of the settings menu.
I usually play the game with a Logitech controller which works fine, but I had similar issues (weird button mapping) playing the game with a DS4.

I just left for dinner, I'll try it when I get back later.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

I haven't tried it yet, but Mark of the Ninja is on my shortlist of games to try with the controller.

Didn't get a chance to sit down and mess around for more than an hour or two but I was able to functionally play EU4 with the controller, which was nice. I set speed up/down to the bumpers, grips are home province and pause/play, triggers are the l/r click, and and the left pad functions as the mouse scroll wheel. It's a bit janky and I need to figure out if there are any useful hotkeys I could map to the face buttons or anything, but for now it's functional.

Blizzard

Banned
With your new controller, did you feel like you were going to break it with the batteries and the plastic rotating locks? They must have been pressed for space to require such an odd configuration.

I'm hoping it will last a while before I have to mess with the flimsy-feeling back cover and scary battery snapping again? I see the 80 hour battery estimate in the OP though of course that depends on usage.

Krejlooc

Banned
With your new controller, did you feel like you were going to break it with the batteries and the plastic rotating locks? They must have been pressed for space to require such an odd configuration.

No, but getting the batteries out is hard. You have to press up on the little tabs pretty hard.

Also you have probably already mentioned it, but roughly how many hours do you expect a controller to last before one has to mess with the flimsy-feeling back cover and scary battery snapping again?

I went 2 weeks of heavy, daily play.

Ricker

Why didnt they included somekind of manual for this in the box...I mean jesus christ,a few basic things might of help those who arent use to binding stuff and the like a little head start...the firmware upgrade happens auomatically when you plug the control on the PC or when you open Steam in Big Picture mode...? you know stuff like that...

I know Krejlooc is working on a guide but still...my friend is not even sure if he did the firmware upgrade.

A bunch of us here preordered this week at gamestop and were all told we could pick up today but I don't think anyone got one...at least that I've seen.

My Gamestop got 6 pre-order controllers today...all the others are on the 16th of November.

Blizzard

Banned
Why didnt they included somekind of manual for this in the box...I mean jesus christ,a few basic things might of help those who arent use to binding stuff and the like a little head start...the firmware upgrade happens auomatically when you plug the control on the PC or when you open Steam in Big Picture mode...? you know stuff like that...

I know Krejlooc is working on a guide but still...my friend is not even sure if he did the firmware upgrade.
There's a quick start guide in the bottom of the box but it seemed to be mostly visual things (actually kind of confusing) about putting in batteries etc.

I wouldn't have known about the firmware upgrade happening automatically for example. I'll have to go digging and see if there's a way to check the current firmware version.

Mr_eX

Didn't spend much time with it yet but so far I kind of don't like it. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

Using the controller so far today has been a strange experience. It's a weird sensation to be holding a controller and feel kind of lost. It's like what my parents (or anyone who doesn't play games) must feel when they hold a traditional controller. The thing that keeps getting me is I hit the paddles when I mean to pull the trigger and visa-versa.

I'm getting used to it, though, and I already prefer it to the 360 pad I've been using for years.

Sell it.

To me :p

I might do that. I'm going to try it out a little bit longer but it's not what I expected. The implementation into the actual games is a little janky.

Using the controller so far today has been a strange experience. It's a weird sensation to be holding a controller and feel kind of lost. It's like what my parents (or anyone who doesn't play games) must feel when they hold a traditional controller. The thing that keeps getting me is I hit the paddles when I mean to pull the trigger and visa-versa.

I'm getting used to it, though, and I already prefer it to the 360 pad I've been using for years.

What games are you playing?

Jzero

People don't like the controller wtf? I think you just have to map the controller how you like it and then it feels glorious.

soco

first impressions aren't great. at least on OSX the set up has been rough, configuration a bit of a challenge, of the two games i tried, both had problems :(

also the rumble is very hollow and mechanical feeling. not as warm as say the 360s.

Exuro

Spent a while with super meatboy. I think I'm convinced that dpad can work decently with this controller. Still having trouble finding the sweetspot for fps control.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I don't really get the community mappings, when I see the list in my game's controls page, is that organized at all, like the top mapping is the most popular? I really would feel good knowing that people like a particular mapping, instead of just blindly picking one.

Krejlooc

Banned
I don't really get the community mappings, when I see the list in my game's controls page, is that organized at all, like the top mapping is the most popular? I really would feel good knowing that people like a particular mapping, instead of just blindly picking one.

Correct.

FoxT

Neo Member
Almost one day in I must say the Steam controller doesn't feel too bad but I still have to train using it and to tinker the settings. Only grievances right now are are the very cheap feeling and clacking ABXY buttons and the noisy haptics.

Games tested so far include:
  • CS:GO (played against middle bots and didn't lose which is nice)
  • Borderlands: TPS (played really well, had to disable auto-aim because it's more distracting than helpful)
  • Ethan Carter (works incredible, flicking the trackball to turn and look around is very efficient and precise)
Next up are some point&click adventures but I think those will be very well suited for the controller.

scitek

So, was it Gamespot that said you couldn't use mouse aiming with the controller prompts in tact? Cuz you totally can, just pick the proper setup. It doesn't let you swing the camera around freely while running, which sucks, but clicking the right pad centers the camera behind Lara, which makes it playable.

scitek

I feel like this is something to pick up in a year or a few months down the line once the community has sourced all the work, is that odd?

Has anyone tested character action games like MGR, Killer is Dead, or Transformers?

I tried Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and it worked perfectly fine.

kodecraft

GameStop told me they would get them in a few days and since I preordered this week (Wednesday) then I could come pick it up. Although the original convo was...that I was supposed to be able to pick it up today.

Games I'm breaking in with this controller will be...The Evil Within, Transformers Devastation, Super Street Fighter IV, Downwell, Street Fighter 5 beta...and Arkham Knight the fixed PC version at the end of the month

AJLma

Ran into a weird problem with MGS:V.

I can't seem to be able to press more than 3 buttons at a time. Ex. If I try to hold RB to use the binoculars, move with the joystick and use the right pad to look at the same time, RB will drop off. Anyone else have this problem?

I don't think it's a reception issue, I'm using the dongle + usb and it's basically right next to me.

Mouse aiming in MGS:V feels amazing on this thing, just need to get this to work and I think I've got the perfect layout almost ready to upload.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The warning message when you try to launch non controller games is bizzare to me. Isn't that what you want us to play with this thing?

Backlogger

Subscribed to thread!

Got mine today but only tried 1 game so far. I wish the trigger and bumpers didn't feel so cheap but other than that like the feel of the controller.

Will post other questions and feedback after I have more time to play around with it.

sk3

Banned
Ran into a weird problem with MGS:V.

I can't seem to be able to press more than 3 buttons at a time. Ex. If I try to hold RB to use the binoculars, move with the joystick and use the right pad to look at the same time, RB will drop off. Anyone else have this problem?

I don't think it's a reception issue, I'm using the dongle + usb and it's basically right next to me.

Mouse aiming in MGS:V feels amazing on this thing, just need to get this to work and I think I've got the perfect layout almost ready to upload.
Just came here to report a similar thing. Or might just be that the right pad stops responding. Sometimes I'll be moving around and doing recon with binocs and trying to click the right pad to zoom and it will just not respond. I have to lift my thumb up and press again and it will start working a half second later. Very strange.

I managed to improve the MGSV experience quite a bit by increasing the anti-deadzone, but unreliable control makes it a deal breaker. I'm going back to the 360 pad.

Jzero

The warning message when you try to launch non controller games is bizzare to me. Isn't that what you want us to play with this thing?
Lol this is the first thing I though when I played Hotline Miami. Worked like a charm after mapping it how I liked.

Iorv3th

On MGSV there are like 10 community configs. I tried the "binding to surpass metal gear". Although it says it's not inverted in game when in third person the camera is inverted in first person it isn't. Very annoying trying to figure out why.

Also seems the default sensitivity settings are to low or something. Have to pick up thumb multiple times to turn 360 degrees.

Top Bottom