• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

hepburn3d

All complaints can be forwarded to this guy

↓↓↓

67191c8a506e176e26685aeb624135a4460fe775a50719dfdb01d75d4d2b4592.jpg

Haha so true, trying to forget where the face buttons used to be. Trying to forget there were only 4 shoulder buttons. So much to unlearn! I've had 6/7+ hours of using it now. I'm getting much better at the keyboard.

Anyone know how to add Minecraft Windows 10 version to steam so that the overlay still works? If you have done it already please let me know, it's not as easy as it sounds.

The responses in this thread have been extremely interesting. I will buy the controller as soon as it becomes officially available but I think that Valve really botched this launch by essentially turning all pre-orderers into beta testers. Which would be fine if they were aware of the fact beforehand but nothing in the controller page suggested that. It seems that Valve wants to apply its iterative approach to hardware as well as software but that doesn't really work here. Launching a hardware product with its software in beta is certain to leave a bad impression to those consumers who expected something to already work as intended out of the box. The Steam Machine launch will be an absolute disaster if Valve applies the same thinking there.

Anyway, it seems clear to me that geeks and tinkerers will love the controller. I am one of them and I am extremely excited. But it also seems that regular consumers should probably wait until both Valve and the community come up with a good amount of templates and bindings.

Tak3n

Banned
The responses in this thread have been extremely interesting. I will buy the controller as soon as it becomes officially available but I think that Valve really botched this launch by essentially turning all pre-orderers into beta testers. Which would be fine if they were aware of the fact beforehand but nothing in the controller page suggested that. It seems that Valve wants to apply its iterative approach to hardware as well as software but that doesn't really work here. Launching a hardware product with its software in beta is certain to leave a bad impression to those consumers who expected something to already work as intended out of the box. The Steam Machine launch will be an absolute disaster if Valve applies the same thinking there.

Anyway, it seems clear to me that geeks and tinkerers will love the controller. I am one of them and I am extremely excited. But it also seems that regular consumers should probably wait until both Valve and the community come up with a good amount of templates and bindings.

what it needs I reckon is a bit of a dummy mode, so when you launch a game it will dafault load the most popular profile being used by players, then tell you that if you dont like it you can change it

Is it possible to have WASD mapped to the left trackpad and Shift+WASD mapped to the edges of the trackpad?

Should be possible. Krejlooc in the last thread talked about it. You map it as a d-pad with WASD bindings then go to advanced and it talks there about outer ring binding and uses "sneaking" as an example.

The config is in the OP actually, at Dpad.

Nzyme32

what it needs I reckon is a bit of a dummy mode, so when you launch a game it will dafault load the most popular profile being used by players, then tell you that if you dont like it you can change it

That was the intention, which is probably why they did the early release, in order to have those bindings accumulate to the point where a good solution is available. However I'm not too sure this will be accomplished in a month. And Valve's communication has been abysmal as usual

Over-Run

I find it strange nobody seems to have tried games like STALKER, ARMA or DayZ. If anybody has could you let me know your opinions on it?

Tried this with Dirty Rally, MGSV, Windward, Party Hard, Rocket League and Mini Metro via Steam Link
Dirty Rally - Worked OK, but buttons are a little small to shift, I should change these to the under buttons maybe. Game was laggy as can be for my on steam link though
MGSV - Having a tough time aiming with the right pad, will try using the end of my thumb as suggested a few pages back
Windward - Could not get it to wrok with the menu system....
Party Hard - Worked fine but steam link made it laggy somehow...
Rocket League - Used reccommended settings, could not get past menu
Mini Metro - This worked OK for a mouse game and no lag on steam link for me!

My controller is not showing up at all in big picture under controllers....I think this is a problem.

The Cowboy

Question.

Turns out the sound i was complaining about on the analog stick is an actual inbuild sound/feature, it has some sort of inbuild force feedback on it so when you press a direction you get a bit of feedback on the stick (similar to the haptics on the pads) - anyone know how to turn this off on the analog stick?, when in the config menu for the analog stick there is an option for haptics, but even when off the stick still has clicking on it.

Such an annoying feature with what seems to be no way to turn it off (that i can find).

Tenebrous

Nope, GAME (UK) still don't have my controller and link. So jealous of you all.

Preordered instore on day one to avoid postage/waiting... What a good idea that was.

Tobor

I find it strange nobody seems to have tried games like STALKER, ARMA or DayZ. If anybody has could you let me know your opinions on it?

I haven't tried DayZ, but I did play H1Z1, which is similar. I need to do a few tweaks to the mapping, but it's perfectly playable.

Wallach

Question.

Turns out the sound i was complaining about on the analog stick is an actual inbuild sound/feature, it has some sort of inbuild force feedback on it so when you press a direction you get a bit of feedback on the stick (similar to the haptics on the pads) - anyone know how to turn this off on the analog stick?, when in the config menu for the analog stick there is an option for haptics, but even when off the stick still has clicking on it.

Such an annoying feature with what seems to be no way to turn it off (that i can find).

Mine doesn't have any haptics when it is set to off, except in the Big Picture Mode UI (which seems to force haptics on for the analogue stick since it is currently required to navigate). In games it doesn't activate though.

It seems that Valve wants to apply its iterative approach to hardware as well as software but that doesn't really work here. Launching a hardware product with its software in beta is certain to leave a bad impression to those consumers who expected something to already work as intended out of the box.

Everything you just said also applies to shipping software.
Because that's basically what is going on here.

r3n4ud

Ah man, awesome controller. Played around with it for a couple hours and really love it. I'll continue to use my xbox one controller for games that have native controller support, though...for now. But games like Pillars and Civ, the controller excels :)

hepburn3d

Just had my first Steam crash in game. Once steam crashed the controller just stopped responding. Had to restart the controller to go back to default then close the game down to restart steam. Nice I didn't need to get off couch still but bugs are there.

MaxiLive

Bit of a dumb question but does the left touchpad have haptic feedback? I've seen it in the options but I've yet to feel/hear anything. The right touchpad is fine however.

Iorv3th

Which MGSV binding is the one set up by Krej? Didn't see his name on the steam list. Also didn't see a way to search for them.

vinegar

Neo Member
I played through The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (Redux) for the first time in it's entirety last night using only the Steam Controller. My initial impressions were not good, but after fiddling with the settings a bit, I found a control scheme that was actually pretty nice. Trackball mode for the right pad with high friction and haptic feedback feels much better than a joystick for camera movement imo. I also like having the extra buttons on the back.

I also played quite a bit of Civilization 5 and the controller really shined. I was comfortably playing Civ on my TV from my couch without the use of a bulky wireless kb+m set up. This is primarily what I bought the thing for, playing games I couldn't already play with my wireless 360 controller on my TV.

Overall, I think this type of controller has potential, but this particular one has some layout choices that I'm not fond of. I don't like the d-pad. It's too large and a joystick feels better for movement. The stick and d-pad should have been reversed in position because I feel like the stick will end up getting a lot more use for most people and it's a bit of a stretch to use where it is now. In my opinion the could have dropped the left pad altogether and gone with a traditional style layout on the left side of the controller and it would have been better. The face buttons are also a bit of stretch to get to and I feel like they could be uncomfortable in games that require them often, but I haven't played anything like that yet. The left half of a Wii U Pro controller with the right half and back of this one would be the perfect controller for me.

Gotta say, this controller is everything I've been looking forward to.

I just spent 2 hours fine tuning a control scheme for the Witcher 3 - it's called "Witcher 3 Precision Mouse with Mode Shifts (8 Extra Buttons)" - I've been able to bind the panels, quicksave, etc to the left pad and stick when clicking the right pad.

I also get to keep the 4 potion slots because it recognizes the controller as a keyboard and mouse!

EDIT - not sure how to share configs yet, but I'd love to get more feedback on it.

I also played quite a bit of Civilization 5 and the controller really shined. I was comfortably playing Civ on my TV from my couch without the use of a bulky wireless kb+m set up. This is primarily what I bought the thing for, playing games I couldn't already play with my wireless 360 controller on my TV.

I have to say I don't understand the people who expect this to replace the 360 controller for most games, but to be able to play Civ and Divinity and every other game in my library without controller support on my TV is really awesome. Looking forward to picking this up.

Jarate

Banned
Got my steam controller sent to the wrong house D:

also, would anyone be interested in me setting up and doing a bit of science with TF2 too see what the differences between the 3 different control inputs? I have about 1000 hours of TF2 time on both PC and Consoles, and can easily do well with both a controller and a M+KB in pub matches.

What classes would you guys like to see me play with all the different input methods?

Sorcerer

Trying to train myself not to use the analog stick at all. Not that I hate it, I just want to see if the the original intention of the controller, just play with 2 trackpads to see how that would have worked out work. And amazingly it seems very doable.
Although my thumb won't stop gravitating towards the stick, I had to disable it.
I am purposely playing a game with terrible controls, Insecticide, and I am finding I can fix most of the problems inherent in the mouse and keyboard config.
This controller is amazing. I can't wait to see what future iterations will bring or what 3rd party developers bring to the table.
Also I love the noise of the haptic feedback, I know others here hate it.

I can see how its easy to hate and dismiss it at first try. Its taken me quite a few hours to adjust, but dive into it and you will fall in love with it. I feel going back to a dualshock or a xbox controller would be a huge letdown from this point on.

Tobor

I have to say I don't understand the people who expect this to replace the 360 controller for most games, but to be able to play Civ and Divinity and every other game in my library without controller support on my TV is really awesome. Looking forward to picking this up.

It does replace the 360 controller for me. It's far more precise and offers more buttons. My 360 controller is already unplugged and in a drawer.

There is going to be a learning curve for some people, especially if you grew up in the dual analog era. For me it's old times, learning a new controller system.

syko de4d

anyone tried path of exile?

Would swtor be possible with it, a origin game and needs alot of buttons? Just started after years again and playing the class stories with a controller would be amazing :)

Won

Picked mine up earlier today and gave it a quick go. First impression was that it is smaller than I expected. Second impression is that I'm already not a fan of the layout. Never have and never will like that stick position. Not too hot on the face buttons either. Time will tell if it's an issue or not.

Game wise I gave Half Life 2 a quick go. As expected a complete disaster. New hardware with new ideas will require some rethinking and practice on my part. That will take a while.

Tried Invisible Inc. after that. That was more like it. Some adjustments on the right pad and I was good to go. It's for games like that I decided to give this controller a go and here I'm very happy already after only a few minutes.

Gonna dive deeper into the options now and experiment a bit.

Ive had mine about 4-5 hours now and im loving it.Tried Dirt Rally,Rocket League,Cities Skyline(briefly) and now im attempting Diablo 3 which im trying to setup,hopefully it works well.I also had a clicking sound,which seems to have stopped.

It does replace the 360 controller for me. It's far more precise and offers more buttons. My 360 controller is already unplugged and in a drawer.

There is going to be a learning curve for some people, especially if you grew up in the dual analog era. For me it's old times, learning a new controller system.

Completely agree

styl3s

Spent a few hours with it this morning and it's just not clicking with me i still prefer the dual analog and the button placement to me is bad and it's a bit too big for my non shaq hands. I don't think it's a terrible controller at all but it just hasn't clicked with me. I really do not like the d-pad or trackpad so far but maybe after playing it some more today and all day tomorrow it will finally click with me.

At the very least it's a good big screen navigation controller.

There's nothing that prevents this controller from completely replacing a traditional gamepad functionality wise. The question is if the user has the time and patience to train himself to a rather different and unfamiliar control scheme. I suspect it may be harder for people who spend a lot of time gaming on consoles, as they will frequently have to go back to the traditional gamepad control scheme. In any case, trying to get accustomed to a new method of control was going to be difficult at first, we knew there would be a learning curve.

scitek

It honestly works fine out of the box, it's just so different from other controllers people are used to it's going to take some relearning. The customized profiles will become more popular over time, but for now, the defaults work as intended, you just might need to tweak somethings here and there (sensitivity, etc.).

Tobor

There's nothing that prevents this controller from completely replacing a traditional gamepad functionality wise. The question is if the user has the time and patience to train himself to a rather different and unfamiliar control scheme. I suspect it may be harder for people who spend a lot of time gaming on consoles, as they will frequently have to go back to the traditional gamepad control scheme. In any case, trying to get accustomed to a new method of control was going to be difficult at first, we knew there would be a learning curve.

It's no different than any new controller scheme really. They all take learning. It took me a while to get proficient with mouse and keyboard. It took me a while to get proficient with dual analog.

Eusis

That was the intention, which is probably why they did the early release, in order to have those bindings accumulate to the point where a good solution is available. However I'm not too sure this will be accomplished in a month. And Valve's communication has been abysmal as usual
A month (close to it anyway) will likely be "good enough". Many of the most popular games would have had a few weeks of players messing around so the proper release will have SOMETHING for many of them.

Won

Tried out Wildstar for a bit. With the mouselook addition to the game and the game apparently floating around in the Steam registry (or whatever) it made me think they want this to be playable with the Steam controller.

And after shifting WASD to the left pad and running around for a bit I have to say this feels amazing. Like truly, wow. Going to try binding the hotkeys in a way that I feel comfortable with and start a new character later this evening or tomorrow to see if that impression holds up. But I'm impressed so far.

Nzyme32

Blew my mind playing dark souls. At first I hated the stick emulation till I tinkered with it. Aggressive response curve and high haptics are really good. Love how they also have the feeling and motion of the stick flicking back to neutral when you let go, but can turn it off should you want a more immediate response. Good shit, but i still need time to get used to it. In the heat of the moment I'm still panicking and going for the wrong buttons now and then.

A month (close to it anyway) will likely be "good enough". Many of the most popular games would have had a few weeks of players messing around so the proper release will have SOMETHING for many of them.

They talked in a recent interview about adding a whole lot of stuff to BPM that they still need to do, so I imagine if they follow through, that the experience will be quite different. Importantly though they'll be adding a magnifier for smaller text stuff, which would be helpful

Not sure how many people care, but it works great for the Sims 4. Only issue I'm having is getting used to finer movements with the right track pad which I think I'll learn over time.

Tried it with Zaggarot and I was all over the place, its pretty tough with faster paced games. I did use a better configuration from the community which helped a bit, but my thumb seems to be the issue here.

Nzyme32

Not sure how many people care, but it works great for the Sims 4. Only issue I'm having is getting used to finer movements with the right track pad which I think I'll learn over time.

Tried it with Zaggarot and I was all over the place, its pretty tough with faster paced games. I did use a better configuration from the community which helped a bit, but my thumb seems to be the issue here.

I find it difficult for some games where people have set massively higher sensitivities for the mouse, where a spin that would usually take me 180 was now doing 1080. That's way too much for me

Top Bottom