• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

AJLma

On MGSV there are like 10 community configs. I tried the "binding to surpass metal gear". Although it says it's not inverted in game when in third person the camera is inverted in first person it isn't. Very annoying trying to figure out why.

Also seems the default sensitivity settings are to low or something. Have to pick up thumb multiple times to turn 360 degrees.

A lot of those community configs have the Right pad set on Joystick. For pretty much any FPS game you want it set to Mouse simulation.

Jinkies

I feel like this is something to pick up in a year or a few months down the line once the community has sourced all the work, is that odd?

Has anyone tested character action games like MGR, Killer is Dead, or Transformers?
I tested Transformers as soon as I got it. I'm very sad because it doesn't support Gamepad+Mouse.

However, I fought a boss using my own gamepad-based configuration, and got an S-rank. It will still take practice to feel good, but it's completely playable.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Pillars of Eternity on this thing feels just right. I'm impressed with the mouse side of the pad, confused by the left directional pad and disappointed in the cheap feel of the paddle triggers and top ones. The haptic soft click is a really cool sensation though, it really does feel like a small click.

Foxyone

Has anyone tried seeing if the controller can be set up / slowed down such that it feels "ok" to play at 30 fps, kinda like it might with a typical controller with analog sticks? Not necessarily with a competitive game like Battlefield, but maybe a slower experience like Crysis where you might max out eye candy in exchange for giving up 60 fps.

Red

Pillars of Eternity on this thing feels just right. I'm impressed with the mouse side of the pad, confused by the left directional pad and disappointed in the cheap feel of the paddle triggers and top ones. The haptic soft click is a really cool sensation though, it really does feel like a small click.
What is the haptic soft click? I think something may be wrong with my controller, as I only seem to get haptics from the right touch pad. Nothing from the left.

Is there a way to make the trackpad perform similar to a Wiimote in the sense that if your finger goes near the edge, it'll continue to move in that direction instead of constant swiping? I feel like that would improve it for me tenfold. If not, I'm still adjusting.

People don't like the controller wtf? I think you just have to map the controller how you like it and then it feels glorious.

Pretty much any issue you have with the controls, you can solve if you dive deeper into the settings, or realize that you can swap out a button to make it a mode change and suddenly get several more buttons. It's really fun to realize that after you remember that there are two more buttons than usual, too.

I could spend hours just working on configurations for my games. Like... part of me wants to just sit down and bang out my ideal configs for each game I plan on playing, just so I have them set up ahead of time. I booted up Spacechem and within a few minutes came up with ideas for mapping all of its various hotkeys. That would be a killer Steam Pad game.

I feel like this is something to pick up in a year or a few months down the line once the community has sourced all the work, is that odd?

Has anyone tested character action games like MGR, Killer is Dead, or Transformers?

I can also vouch for Transformers with the steam pad. The only flaw is that the camera is not so good since you have to emulate the right analog stick to use it, which feels less effective than a 360/Xbone pad.

Eh, it'll take a bit for me to figure out how to change the haptic intensity.

But here's a very quick fix for people who want mouse control in BPM

Go to your steam installation folder, then the controller_base folder, and first and foremost make a copy of bigpicture.vdf so that, if you need, you can return to the original bindings.

Now open the original bigpicture.vdf and paste the following into it:
*snip*
This is just copying the default wasd binding to it, but it'll show you that you can enable mouse control this way.

If you're like me and you want to control the BPM menus with the left touchpad in d-pad mode, use this:

Code:
"controller_mappings"
{
    "version" "2"
    "game" "Steam Big Picture"

"group"
	{
		"id" "0"
		"mode" "four_buttons"

"bindings"
		{
			"button_a" "xinput_button A"
			"button_b" "xinput_button B"
			"button_x" "xinput_button X"
			"button_y" "xinput_button Y"
		}
	}

"group"
	{
		"id" "1"
		"mode" "dpad"

"bindings"
        {
            "dpad_north"    "key_press UP_ARROW"
            "dpad_south"    "key_press DOWN_ARROW"
            "dpad_east"     "key_press RIGHT_ARROW"
            "dpad_west"     "key_press LEFT_ARROW"
        }

"settings"
		{
			"requires_click" "1"
			"deadzone" "5000"
			"overlap" "false"
		}
	}

"group"
    {
        "id"    "2"
        "mode" "dpad"

"bindings"
        {
            "dpad_north"    "key_press UP_ARROW"
            "dpad_south"    "key_press DOWN_ARROW"
            "dpad_east"     "key_press RIGHT_ARROW"
            "dpad_west"     "key_press LEFT_ARROW"
        }

"settings"
		{
			"requires_click" "1"
			"deadzone" "2000"
			"overlap" "false"
		}
    }

"group"
    {
        "id" "3"
        "mode" "absolute_mouse"

}

"group"
	{
		"id"		"4"
		"mode"		"trigger"
		"bindings"
		{
			"click"		"mouse_button RIGHT, Right Mouse"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"output_trigger"		"1"
		}
	}

"group"
	{
		"id"		"5"
		"mode"		"trigger"
		"bindings"
		{
			"click"		"mouse_button LEFT, Left Mouse"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"output_trigger"		"2"
		}
	}

"group_source_bindings"
    {
        "0" "button_diamond"
        "1" "joystick"
        "2" "left_trackpad"
        "3" "right_trackpad"
		"4"	"left_trigger active"
		"5"	"right_trigger active"
    }
aaaaaa
    "switch_bindings"
    {
        "bindings"
        {
    		"right_bumper"		"mouse_wheel SCROLL_UP, Mouse Scroll Up"
    		"left_bumper"		"mouse_wheel SCROLL_DOWN, Mouse Scroll Down"

"button_escape"		"key_press ESCAPE, Menu"
    		"button_menu"		"key_press TAB, Tab"

"button_back_left"	"mouse_button MIDDLE, Middle Mouse"
		    "button_back_right"	"key_press LEFT_CONTROL, Left Control"

}
    }

"settings"
    {
		"left_trackpad_mode"						"none"
		"right_trackpad_mode"						"none"
    }
}

Is there a way to make the trackpad perform similar to a Wiimote in the sense that if your finger goes near the edge, it'll continue to move in that direction instead of constant swiping? I feel like that would improve it for me tenfold. If not, I'm still adjusting.
Yeah, you should be able to do that in the advanced settings for mouse movement. there's an entire column of Edge Spin options that'll do this.

Did everyone get the email about the Mac incompatibility and the free games or just those of us that actively use Steam on a Mac?

MNC

Yesterday night I played a few hours of MGSV with quite a good config. I forgot what it was called but it was the top at the time. It had aiming at soft trigger, go into first person with hard trigger. Binoculars was quick hard trigger. It did some really cool stuff. It was mainly to get acquainted with the touchpad for aiming.

My main problem with the controller is muscle memory. I played over 60 hours with the default gamepad control scheme and it is very hard to adapt to something new after that.

My second issue so far are the face buttons. Thanks to muscle memory I keep missing the correct button. I feel like they could've been placed a bit higher and could be a bit bigger to remove the phantom pain of the old face buttons.

I also tried making my own FPS config in Wolfenstein. I find that setting sensitivity to low, but acceleration to high is a great middle road. It gives you precise movement for aiming, but quick steering/looking around. High sensitivity makes my aim jitter a lot.

Another observation: it does not feel good to press two buttons at the same time on one side of the controller. Are you pressing RB/RT? It feels more natural to press the Left Grip. Or when performing turns with the right touch pad, performing other actions on the left of the controller would feel better, e.g. looking around with touch pad and jumping with LG/LB/LT. What I am basically saying with this is that aiming with the touch pad and shooting with RT/RB feels unnatural. Most configs have it like this because it worked on old controllers, but it doesn't here.

What is the button config block for at the bottom middle of the controller? It only allows for movement binds (joystick, directional, etc) I couldn't figure it out for the life of it.

Mattenth

I stumbled through trying this thing out with Far Cry 4 and Skyrim tonight. It was absolutely terrible... Really not sure how this thing is ever going to support first-person camera. Perhaps it will improve with time, but I doubt a controller with such a steep learning curve can ever appeal beyond a small niche.

Using the trackpad is awful in the default MGSV calibration. Any tips for making it easier to aim? So far it's left a very negative impression.

Jzero

My public bindings don't seem to be uploading today. One of them uploaded yesterday though (someone tried to take credit for making it haha)

kami_sama

I'm having some trouble using the controller for GTAV. If I go to the overlay, to change any bindings, I lose control of the game. It's not the steam version.

Anyone else having trouble with delayed input on the right trackpad?

It only seems to happen when use the gamepad with high precision camera configs.

Playing Tomb Raider was the major problem. I want to be able to use the analog stick for all movement and normal pad inputs (that game has a lot of onscreen prompts and I prefer the ABXY method), but when I have the trackpad set to mouse there's a long delay between me touching it and the camera responding. If I set to all gamepad (no thankyou) or straight mouse and keyboard (in which I lose the subtlety of analog stick movement), the problem goes away. Do you think this is a bug?

I've noticed it in Dishonored as well but not to the same extent.

Deadstar

What a mess this launch is. Big picture crashes after just about every game whether I'm in the steam beta client or not. Also I'm getting terrible system chug seemingly at random in big picture that also affects the games I run. It's as if my system power drops to 10% and everything is delayed. Anyone else experience this?

I hope these problems are fixed quickly.

kami_sama

What a mess this launch is. Big picture crashes after just about every game whether I'm in the steam beta client or not. Also I'm getting terrible system chug seemingly at random in big picture that also affects the games I run. It's as if my system power drops to 10% and everything is delayed. Anyone else experience this?

It's not really the launch. We are beta testers. The real launch is in November.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Strange. I didn't encounter any real crashes.

Well the grand experiment is over. After palming it all day at work and finally coming home to give it an honest go with actual gameplay, I... don't like the ergonomics of the controller. It's really uncomfortable and only tells me that mongoloids were the only beta candidates when they designed it. The shoulder buttons are in a really bad angle and the face buttons are entirely too tiny. The trackpads are neat though, but that's not enough for me to be stuck with the controller I probably won't touch ever again. I'm sticking with a DualShock 4.

Oh well, at least I get my money back.

hepburn3d

The need to make the keyboard overlay semi transparent as sometimes it appears over the chat box I'm typing in. Or make it moveable with some button presses.

I think a double tap of the home button should go straight to keyboard as well. I'm being a diva I know :)

This controller has a learning curve. Every time I use it I feel it's power grow.

How cool would it be if you could make your own overlay that shows what some of the buttons are as you play? Like toggle face buttons show on and it places them somewhere in the screen semi transparent for you so you can quickly glance as you play and learn :) just a thought.

kami_sama

In non-steam mode, the controller only makes a key press every time I click the left touchpad or use the stick. Anyone know how to make it like a real keyboard? Pressing the key until I stop pressing down.

The analog stick is miserable for navigating menus and it doesn't offer you any of the other options that might be more pleasant. As it is currently the controller does nothing at all to solve the outside-of-game comfy-couch situation on anything but a system that boots right into Big Picture.

What is a good game to test it out?

Rocket League is pretty great (although it's really just from the benefit of having the paddles.)

It took a few tries for me to get a configuration I was happy with (none of the existing ones were even close) but after fiddling I was able to get Cities: Skylines into a very good state. Anything like this where you're just remapping it to give you full freedom and flexibility in a sim-type game is probably a good demo.

la_briola

To be honest, I have no idea what you mean by "controller support". This is a menu option? Where is it? I've never used it before.

The answer might be that it's just a section that isn't quite ready yet. You'll run into lots of menus that aren't finished yet. This is really just a wide public beta, the real launch is in november (and even then, expect stuff to still get worked on for a while after that).

In Big Picture go to -> Settings -> Controller -> Steam Controller (Press Y)

There you can test the controllers functions.

I'm not sure how I'll go about using this.
I like the idea of configs for each games, but part of me is thinking that I should (when they support custom template configs) create templates for the various styles of games I play based on my standard keyboard layout, then use adjustments in-game to customise specifically.

The problem I have with the current setup is if people have made adjustments in game (rather than default) before setting up a config, I then don't have things working as intended on my default in game settings (or vice versa).

Doing it the way I suggested should help alleviate that a bit at least.

Haroon

I spent some time in some games (AC2, Rocket League, 20XX, etc). It's okay. It really feels weird when your muscle memory is developed over the several on the regular template. I wonder how it will be like once I get used to it, and then play games on the consoles.

One of the benefits that people mention is that the trackpad is more precise, and I completely agree with that sentiment. But I feel that the only games that would require that is the first person shooting games. I don't see myself using the controller to play games like CS:GO, or the Borderlands series. I imagine that this controller is amazing for people that like to game on the couch.

For third person games. I am a bit conflicted because the improved trackpad does not really change much for me (Please let me know if you have any suggestions). I am adjusting the camera in the same way as I did with the regular controller so, I don't see much appeal in the trackpad in that case. But there are some nice things for games in general besides the trackpad.

The customizable options within this controller are pretty awesome. Being able to bind slow run, and the A button to the back bumper in Assassin's Creed 2 was pretty awesome. I think that's one of the best features of this controller, but it could also turn out to be pretty cumbersome to tweak the configuration of each game you play.

I am a bit conflicted with my experience of the Steam controller. It works as advertised, but it sure is different from the ordinary. I am looking forward to seeing its future.

Wallach

I can't figure out how to mode shift the triggers or grips. Is there a way to do this? I basically want the triggers and bumpers to have a second layer while holding left grip.

Czigga

Anyone had any success using Steam Controller with Hearthstone or other Blizzard games?

I added Hearthstone to my Steam library, went into 'manage shortcut' and changed the controller settings for the game (basically, I want the left pad to be mouse with the face buttons as he left/right click), but when I launch the game the settings don't stick (goes back to default right pad as mouse control with shoulder buttons as click).

I'm guessing it does not get along with the separate launcher for Blizz games.

deleted

This is so maddening. It used to be that you could use the steam controller like a mouse as well as a controller in the BPM menu. They removed that maybe 3 or 4 months ago. I wish I could use the d-pad, and the analog stick, AND the mouse in BPM.

Just curious - was it mine?

I looked it up and yep - it's yours :p

Slightly OT: I want to try many things with the controller, but since a few days my PC is not working correctly anymore while gaming.
After an hour or so and after that earlier my rig just freezes. Sometimes the screen goes black and the sound stutters, sometimes the screen goes black, but the keyboard still responds in a way that I can press strg + alt + del or alt + tab, but I can't really do anything like that either.
I don't know, there seems to be some really competent PC guys in here, do you have any idea which part of my PC is faulting? Is that symptom enough to tell which part is giving up?
Is it the graphics card? Could it be a problem with too little power? Any idea how I can determine the best what part is done? The PC isn't half a year old so far -_-

Edit: It froze up on Ziggurat last, so its not only during demanding games...

Ziggurat seems to be a good learning tool for fast paced FPS games btw. Running via analog feels freat, but vertical aiming is still difficult and jumping via the paddles doesn't feel too natural. But I got better over the course of half an hour and it's still much better than to play with a controller.

Tak3n

Banned
I spent some time in some games (AC2, Rocket League, 20XX, etc). It's okay. It really feels weird when your muscle memory is developed over the several on the regular template. I wonder how it will be like once I get used to it, and then play games on the consoles.

One of the benefits that people mention is that the trackpad is more precise, and I completely agree with that sentiment. But I feel that the only games that would require that is the first person shooting games. I don't see myself using the controller to play games like CS:GO, or the Borderlands series. I imagine that this controller is amazing for people that like to game on the couch.

For third person games. I am a bit conflicted because the improved trackpad does not really change much for me (Please let me know if you have any suggestions). I am adjusting the camera in the same way as I did with the regular controller so, I don't see much appeal in the trackpad in that case. But there are some nice things for games in general besides the trackpad.

The customizable options within this controller are pretty awesome. Being able to bind slow run, and the A button to the back bumper in Assassin's Creed 2 was pretty awesome. I think that's one of the best features of this controller, but it could also turn out to be pretty cumbersome to tweak the configuration of each game you play.

I am a bit conflicted with my experience of the Steam controller. It works as advertised, but it sure is different from the ordinary. I am looking forward to seeing its future.

I might be wrong but one of it's primary function is for games that dont offer controller support, games like TR for example which are tried and tested using a controller, I am not terribly convinced, at least at first one would see a benefit....

However on the flipside games like BF4, where the offer of controller support is there but you are at such a disadvantage on PC, this is where the controller should start to shine as in theory it closes the gap

It's not really the launch. We are beta testers. The real launch is in November.

This is what I expected to happen, however I think most people didn't pre-order early and paid $50 or more to participate in a beta.

I might be wrong but one of it's primary function is for games that dont offer controller support

There is no real primary function. Valve made it with the intent to support the entire Steam library. It's to be seen how well it will work with most games or the entire library, but in the end it's up to people how they want to use it. Can they make it work better on a game that already works well with a controller? Good for them, if they can. Do they only want to use it for turn-based games or purely mouse driven games? That's also good.

Haroon

Yeah you're right. I forgot to mention the benefit of games that don't support a controller. Especially click-point-adventure games. I tried Broken Age, and A Journey Down. Both of the games worked really well. And one could assume that Civlization games would work well with it as well.

hepburn3d

Man it's the little things...

Put steam into Suspend mode, PC turns off as well as controller. Turn controller on, turns PC back on, straight to steam in seconds

Hngggggg love it

GeoGonzo

I only had time to try a bit of MGSV yesterday, using Krejlooc's profile. This thing seems amazing precision wise, compared to a 360 controller! Shame about the screen prompts being PC keys, though. Also, having the zoom and sprint keybinds switched is weird... I think I understand why he did it, but I'm wondering if I should try to get used to it or simply switch them back to the console style.

The Cowboy

Really not sure of the controller, i did manage to setup some controls for couch fps games - setting the trackball mode to have some momentum makes it work nicely, as does a mode switch to make sniping good.

I really don't like the analog trigger travel as its so dam short, and due to this they feel horrible for racing games. The analog stick makes a slight noise when moved from the central point (my xbone pad does not do this), i am hoping this fades over time and is just due to it being brand new. The buttons are way to close together/small, but hopefully I'll get used to it as time goes on.

In general i can see myself getting to like the controller, but in some parts it feels really premium and in others it feels really cheap (far to much cheap clicky noise).

All complaints can be forwarded to this guy

↓↓↓

67191c8a506e176e26685aeb624135a4460fe775a50719dfdb01d75d4d2b4592.jpg

Jzero

I personally love the feel and form factor of the controller. The only thing that doesn't seem right are the shoulder buttons. They seem to be a lot higher than the triggers.

Anyone know how to get the stream controller working in conjunction with mayflash wii u controller? The wii u controller is on but acts as though it's not there.

Top Bottom