• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

It's half there, but the Start and Back buttons themselves can not be mode-shifted still >_<
They really should make mode shifts an activator option for buttons. Like, keep the original system for the trackpad/analog stick/triggers, but add in a "mode-shift" activator that lets you pick what button on the controller shifts it, and what bind it changes to.

Foxyone

Fire start delay seems to be broken and constantly resets itself to 0.

In other news, all the talk about turning off mouse smoothing on the reddit got me wanting to try it in CS since I used to always have default or max smoothing for it. It sure feels a lot better without. I played a few Casual games with it and was keeping at or near the top of the scoreboard with it (not as easy as with m+kb though). Won every TDM game I played the full duration of (at least 5), and even got people calling me a hacker in one. In some ways, having a potential greater degree of aim precision using my hands for the gyro can make aiming better than a mouse sometimes (in my opinion), but I'd still generally take a m+kb over it. I'm screwed if anyone gets really close and I need to turn very quickly, or if I'm getting shot in the back.

Also, scroll wheel does work for cycling through multiple buttons put in activators! Cranked the sensitivity to max, put a whole bunch of WoW Hunter skills in a sequence on the left pad, and my skillbar flashed like crazy as it tried to trigger everything in quick succession. Dunno if I'd say it'd be worth using though.

So I decided to give the controller another shot. I linked my Uplay copy of The Division to Steam (Uplay copy was given for free with my new gaming laptop). I tried a user created setting and fuck! I mean, damn! It was perfect. Everything was in place. Best part, Gyro aiming along with the right touch pad. It just felt amazing. I've tryed gyro aiming on the Wii U, 3DS and Vita and hated it and those.

It's a shame more people don't make templates like the one I found with the Division. I plan to deconstruct that one and see how I can apply that to my other shooters.

I've since played The Witcher 3, DOOM, The Elder Scrolls Online, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm and Titanfall, using the Steam controller and it works so well. It's like a switch flipped in my head. Titanfall was a little iffy, but I made a quick setup and pow, I was #1 in the match. Next I want to modify gyro into it.

I think the thing is, you have to be open minded. Don't expect to be great at the start using it. There's a learning curve with using it. It'll take time for your brain and fingers to realize where the buttons are, without feeling around. Most of all, take time with the control modifications that you can make. The possibilities are endless.

Also, don't force it. You may still like using the xbox one pad or K/M setup for certain games. That's cool. This is merely a new way to play. Just know, it works. It's tested. People do like it. Check out the countless Steam Controller reviews on youtube.

Foxyone

Welp, guess even simple multi-buttons in Warcraft are not OK. Asked in a ticket about a variety of bindings and whether they be OK, ranging from simple multi-buttons to advanced turbo'd bindings that cycle. Got this back:

"I read your ticket about the steam controller and from what I understand, you want to use this controller somehow with World of Warcraft.

I read all the scenarios you mentioned and all of them are kinda saying you want to automate game play in one way or another. Automations are not supported for World of Warcraft, using such systems to play the game will be at your own risk.

The terms of use for Battle.net says to not use automation programs/software as these usually gives unfair advantages something Blizzard do not support. The terms of use can be found at http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/about/termsofuse.html.

I honestly do not recommend using a controller that has not been made by Blizzard to play Blizzard games. "

Unai

Welp, guess even simple multi-buttons in Warcraft are not OK. Asked in a ticket about a variety of bindings and whether they be OK, ranging from simple multi-buttons to advanced turbo'd bindings that cycle. Got this back:

"I read your ticket about the steam controller and from what I understand, you want to use this controller somehow with World of Warcraft.

I read all the scenarios you mentioned and all of them are kinda saying you want to automate game play in one way or another. Automations are not supported for World of Warcraft, using such systems to play the game will be at your own risk.

The terms of use for Battle.net says to not use automation programs/software as these usually gives unfair advantages something Blizzard do not support. The terms of use can be found at http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/about/termsofuse.html.

I honestly do not recommend using a controller that has not been made by Blizzard to play Blizzard games. "

Funny that I remember people wondering if MMOs would be playable with this controller, and now we see that the problem with it is that it is almost too good to the point of being unfair.

Foxyone

Funny that I remember people wondering if MMOs would be playable with this controller, and now we see that the problem with it is that it is almost too good to the point of being unfair.

I know right? Even with that kind of limitation in Wow, I've made a setup that only does one action per button and it still feels just as good as m+kb (perhaps even better). I'm a bit wary of other games that might have similar limitations though.

Very glad things are sorted with Overwatch. I've now set up my config with activators, and it's (another) revelation with this controller. Really great addition! One issue I've run into is when pausing the game. I seem to be getting double inputs, which I'm pretty sure is related to the action sets I have. I think when I hit Start it's bringing up the menu, switching action sets because the cursor is visible, and inputting Start again. I have to tap Start very quickly to keep the menu up.

T-Matt

I got the controller this week. Bigger than I expected but feels very comfortable to hold. It is taking some getting used to but already enjoying it with Dark Souls. Mapping the grip button to run is a game changer for me.

I think I'm going to prefer it for a lot of games but still have my xbox one and ds4 controllers for certain games.

Very glad things are sorted with Overwatch. I've now set up my config with activators, and it's (another) revelation with this controller. Really great addition! One issue I've run into is when pausing the game. I seem to be getting double inputs, which I'm pretty sure is related to the action sets I have. I think when I hit Start it's bringing up the menu, switching action sets because the cursor is visible, and inputting Start again. I have to tap Start very quickly to keep the menu up.

Happens to me as well. I use a separate action set for menus which worked fine in the past - I'm not sure if it's the recent Steam update or the Overwatch patch which is causing it.
edit: Rolled back to the stable Steam client and it no longer occurs.
Back on beta again to test it more and it's definitely doubling the input as you said. To test it I had Start mapped to Esc in my in-game action set, then in my Menu action set I mapped the Start button to Enter. Hitting Start in-game would then automatically open the chat window after the menu pops up.

I'm screwed if anyone gets really close and I need to turn very quickly, or if I'm getting shot in the back.
It's kind of hard to flick, especially when you're in a pinch, but it's doable. I found raising vertical friction the trackball to max really helps stabilize flicks, especially in a shooter since you're mainly turning left and right. I started playing CS:GO because of some replies I got on that thread, and it's generally manageable to watch your back once you get used to flicking. You can also use flicks to strafe around an enemy once you get good enough! Though again, I'll admit it's hard to get down, it's definitely worth learning with the limited space you have on the pad.

I have no idea if one could use the pad alone competitively (mixed with gyro, it probably could), but having finally played CS:GO with this controller, it's surprisingly competent. Competent enough to boot up the game and have a nice fun little DM/Casual session, and not really feel at a disadvantage. I'm not the best since I'm still learning the game, but I haven't ever felt like it's the pad's fault, moreso my reflexes. Honestly, it really makes me hope the right trackpad goes mainstream one day; it'd make shooters tons more fun on consoles, especially since everyone will be on a level playing field compared to the PC environment.

Happens to me as well. I use a separate action set for menus which worked fine in the past - I'm not sure if it's the recent Steam update or the Overwatch patch which is causing it.
edit: Rolled back to the stable Steam client and it no longer occurs.
Back on beta again to test it more and it's definitely doubling the input as you said. To test it I had Start mapped to Esc in my in-game action set, then in my Menu action set I mapped the Start button to Enter. Hitting Start in-game would then automatically open the chat window after the menu pops up.

Ah good, glad I'm not the only one. I think I'm going to change my bindings so that Start isn't Esc in the menus to avoid this issue. B is also Esc for my menu action set, so I'll just get used to pressing that to back out.

Nzyme32

A bit of a bet peeve I'd like to see fixed - I want more granularity over trackball friction, or rather, how fast a hard flick will take me without affecting thing movement across the trackpad.

Quite a bit of the time I find I can get close to where I want by changing the trackball friction, but it isn't actually what I want. I need to get the hard flicks to be faster, but I'd love to enable a way to do smaller flicks that have low friction, without changing the friction of hard flicks - which I'd call reactive friction.

Simple example, a gentle flick would help with navigation of spiral staircases / tracking an enemy over a long distance with a sniper rifle without multiple swipes, yet the heavy flicks would still react with a much stronger friction as expected.

Nabs

I think it was capy who mentioned it first, but Metroid Prime (Trilogy version) works so well with the Steam Controller. It's just a matter of setting up a regular controller config with the right pad mapped as a Mouse Region. I'm having a really good time with it.

coopolon

Using it a lot the past few days, it's really hurting my right thumb. Do people play with your thumb bent so only the point is on trackpad or flat so the entire pad of the thumb is resting on the trackpad? Playing with it bent gets pretty sore, but playing with it flat feels really inaccurate.

Using it a lot the past few days, it's really hurting my right thumb. Do people play with your thumb bent so only the point is on trackpad or flat so the entire pad of the thumb is resting on the trackpad? Playing with it bent gets pretty sore, but playing with it flat feels really inaccurate.

In between for me.

WillyFive

Rest on the trackpad.

atr0cious

Change your dead zone size and rest your thumbs. It will change your life.

Foxyone

I'm currently working on "consolizing Hearthstone" with mouse regions. I think they really should be the next big thing to get upgraded. I almost never used them, but I recently started making use of the ability to bind a specific point on the screen as the entire mouse region (which requires too much guess work to get the right spot). Anyway, since Hearthstone only work with basically mouse movement and clicks, I've made mouse regions bound to each menu option in many different action sets (which switch between each other with analog stick movements) and set them all up so that they move between each other with the analog stick. When the action set switches, it snaps the mouse location to the defined location of the next action set, so it feels like navigating a normal menu. Left click bound to the A button is just right for clicking menu options, and in applicable menus, the B button is good for a mouse region that automatically snaps to and presses the "back" button in the menu to go back to the previous screen. It's all proving to be very interesting, and it even working at all is all thanks to Activators and all the features that came with them. It's a bit to much of a puzzle trying to make sure everything plays nicely together and you don't get stuck on an action set somewhere (I have at least 20 action sets so far). Nevertheless, I'm not too far off from having the game play like one made for a controller instead of a mouse. Merely because I can!

As for how Mouse regions could be made better, the most important thing is the ability to have a transparent grid overlay that allows you to select the space on your game screen that you want the region to occupy; the amount of guesswork currently needed to get the right spot is downright silly. They should also introduce a "Region toggle" for the analog stick. You get the grid overlay and you assign multiple points on the screen to numbered "sub regions". The analog stick is used to switch between the sub regions, snapping between locations or menu options like might be seen in a console game; It'd be a much quicker way of setting up what I did to switch between options in the Hearthstone menu, and it would only need one action set.

I definitely wanna see what else there is to do with action sets. I was thinking about some instances in Oblivion where there is unavoidable mouse input. Maybe a toggled mouse region (or set of them) for the speechcraft mini-game, along with a region that clicks to exit the menu with a press of the B button like on console (and also going back to the normal action set).

Valahart

Just wanted to share my experience with some games for the week I've had the controller.

Lovely Planet: At first I found it to be a fun way to play since Gyro is handy. However when I reached the harder levels I found it impossible to keep using it and changed to KB+M and oh man, not going back.

Tembo the Badass Elephant: the game isn't too complex requiring basically 3 buttons, but somehow I had trouble finding 3 that felt comfortable to be pressed at the same time, since face buttons are so small they are kinda hard to be pressed precisely. Ended up using A to jump, right grip to run and RB to spray water. Not exactly perfect but it worked and I finished the game. Had to mess around a bit with the deadzone so that the leftpad worked.

Don't Starve: I've played this on PS3, PS4 and now on PC. I can say SC is definitely better than DS3/4 for this. However overall KB+M still wins. The game just requires too many actions and quick inventory management.

Mark of the Ninja: this one is by far the best match so far. After Tembo I'm enjoying this waaaay more than I thought I would. I haven't actually used traditional gamepads with it but I can say SC just feels right. LeftPad movement is good, I'm not sure if I'd change it to a Dpad. Quickly aiming with the RightPad feels precise and fast. Haven't felt the need to press the facebuttons too quickly, so far so good.

Foxyone

I made a short video playing Hearthstone with a crude setup that "consolizes" it with some more snappy controls using point mouse regions instead of all mouse movement, and it has lots of freakin' action sets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYKfnWtQSaQ

I'd like to take things further, but the current process of doing so is too time-consuming. Valve pls. Also, I think something like this only works in totally fixed perspective games. Didn't seem to work in fixed screens in Oblivion at least.

Nzyme32

Fucking hell, the Steam Controller Beta is an absolute exercise in frustration for Witcher 2.

• Regular Mouse - behaves as expected in menus
  • Steam Controller - Loses its shit rapidly pressing anything that is set to left click; making the inventory impossible to use without auto using items, scroll doesn't work no matter what, action sets can't detect when the menus are active since it can't seem to tell when the mouse is on screen

Nerrel

The controller is %30 off during the summer sales.
There are a couple of bundles as well.

At this point I'd urge newcomers to just wait for the revision, since Valve has officially confirmed it. The current controller is pretty great and all, but there are lots of shortcomings (cheap and awkwardly placed face buttons, stiff bumpers, stiff grips) and I have no doubt the revision will be far better. Valve has been great at listening to fans and they've done an amazing job just with software updates alone, I'm sure with all the feedback and data they have now they'll make some great improvements.

30% off is a great deal, so buy now if you want, but I can guarantee there'll be a 2.0 that you'll want to have within a year or so.

Anyone have problem getting the controller to work with older Dinput/Java-based titles? I was trying to run Marble Blast Gold with the controller, since it played nicely with my Xinput gamepads, and allowed simultaneous mouse+gamepad, but it refuses to detect the Steam Controller as a gamepad (and yeah, I did load it up through Steam, BPM made no difference). Though I ended up getting a game called Marble Void to scratch that itch, and I haven't been disappointed so far. It even has native SC support, which is nice!

Lovely Planet: At first I found it to be a fun way to play since Gyro is handy. However when I reached the harder levels I found it impossible to keep using it and changed to KB+M and oh man, not going back.
Ooh, this game. I've slowly been playing through it with the Steam Controller (currently halfway through Swamp), and I've found it a great way to learn the trackpad. What really helps is that targets are so big. Probably a little easier with a mouse, but the awesome part is that it's feasible. I've completely avoided the auto-aim feature they threw in for gamepads, and have been going through it just fine. Granted, retries are common as I try to three-star levels, but I'm sure that's unavoidable on your first playthrough either way.

Bending my thumb has never been a problem. How much are you bending it? Maybe loosen up your angle a little. Also, if it's taking too much effort to move your thumb, consider disabling smoothing. It makes adjustments require much more movement, among other things. Then if jitter becomes an issue, just lower the trackpad sensitivity and raise in-game sensitivity in steps until it's stable.

Nabs

This new update will make a couple of you happy:

• Added a "None" option for trackball and scrollwheel friction. Essentially this makes it continue its momentum forever.
  • Added a Custom Curve option for Joystick and Trigger Response Curves. Allows the stick/trigger response to be tuned to a higher degree.
  • Added Curve Visualization for Joystick and Trigger response Curves.
  • Fix for Big Picture overlay being destroyed when exiting the overlay via the Steam Button in a Shortcut.
  • Fixed a crash that could sometimes happen when closing the configurator in desktop mode.
  • Fix for certain mode shift buttons not always being converted over from the old format correctly.
  • Fix for haptics settings not being correctly converted from modes to activators in all cases.

Foxyone

Friction set to none sounds pretty sweet. I'd like to check that out when I get a chance.

Also, anyone know if anti-deadzones tend to be any good? I tried using a tiny one in the demo for Freedom planet and it seemed to make the controls less "mushy" with the joystick, but I felt like I unintentionally also did other actions too. Unless the game just plays a bit weird. Maybe I should try Sonic or something.

didamangi

Any of you experience some kind of unresponsiveness with Big Picture Mode? I mean, not with just the steam controller. Sometimes bpm just kind of freeze for a few seconds and doesn't recognize any input from my steam controller or 360 pad. Is this a known issue or something? Kinda makes BPM unusable for me.

The System Shock remake is fantastic with the SC. Well, the demo is, anyways. Took some time to make bindings for it, and it was totally worth it. Feels really natural with the game. The best part is simultaneous mouse+gamepad is in (at least, for now). Props to Night Dive for that.

Also, anyone know if anti-deadzones tend to be any good? I tried using a tiny one in the demo for Freedom planet and it seemed to make the controls less "mushy" with the joystick, but I felt like I unintentionally also did other actions too. Unless the game just plays a bit weird. Maybe I should try Sonic or something.
Anti-deadzone is great for games with full analog movement, but I really recommend using directional pad mode with the joystick for 2D stuff like Freedom Planet, with haptics to high and a big deadzone (75%). When you hit the input, you can tell through haptics in a similar way to a d-pad, which helps a ton with quick adjustments. Much better than regular joystick implementation in 2D games.

Any of you experience some kind of unresponsiveness with Big Picture Mode? I mean, not with just the steam controller. Sometimes bpm just kind of freeze for a few seconds and doesn't recognize any input from my steam controller or 360 pad. Is this a known issue or something? Kinda makes BPM unusable for me.
I get this sometimes as well. Sadly, can't speak for the new beta patch that was just released, though I hope it fixes it. (EDIT: Nope, still happens. Overlay and Steam crashed altogether while I was editing stuff, actually. Haha.)

EDIT 2: Can't change anything's style of input anymore (e.g. change the trackpad to touch menu/scroll wheel) because Steam crashes altogether. Anyone else getting this?

Durante

I got the controller this week. Bigger than I expected but feels very comfortable to hold. It is taking some getting used to but already enjoying it with Dark Souls. Mapping the grip button to run is a game changer for me.
This is still my largest surprise with the controller. I was a bit unsure because of its size and my relatively small hands, but since you hold it completely differently from other controllers it actually turned out to be the most comfortable for me.

How are you holding the controller? And how big are your hands?

Unicorn

Is there a youtube video or article that details the controller? I mean, accounting for longevity someone has used it to get accustomed, features they highlight, etc. I'm looking for a thorough and in-depth analysis of the controller and not just the knee jerk reviews it got at launch. I am willing to let the owl into my life, but I've been on the fence since the announcement. The gyro aiming in Splatoon has me hopeful I can find a new way to expand and refine that in other shooters. It probably won't replace my kb+m and xbone controller for various things, but I'm open to trying new control methods for genres and games that I just can't seem to find comfort in on either extreme of desktop or couch gaming.

Unai

Is there a youtube video or article that details the controller? I mean, accounting for longevity someone has used it to get accustomed, features they highlight, etc. I'm looking for a thorough and in-depth analysis of the controller and not just the knee jerk reviews it got at launch. I am willing to let the owl into my life, but I've been on the fence since the announcement. The gyro aiming in Splatoon has me hopeful I can find a new way to expand and refine that in other shooters. It probably won't replace my kb+m and xbone controller for various things, but I'm open to trying new control methods for genres and games that I just can't seem to find comfort in on either extreme of desktop or couch gaming.

ConstableBento has a lot of videos of specific games as well as some features. Not an all-in-one video, though. Check out Woodsie too, specially this video.

How do you bind keys to the SC? I'm trying in Lego Movie Game to put the right paddle to the Y face button. When I try to assign the paddle and click on the Y on picture of the controller it assigns right on the left stick, or click the left stick. I don't get it. I'm on Win 10, in Steam Beta. Just trying what I thought would be a basic test.

The best thing to do is to just ask for help around the community based on what's troubling you. There's no real unanimous opinion on each part of the device, so a lot of good tips end up spread across people. There are plenty of generally well received controller guides on Youtube, but none I'd say are cohesive, since everyone has a different experience with the device. Though it's still worth watching through them, since you should find settings that work for you eventually.

How do you bind keys to the SC? I'm trying in Lego Movie Game to put the right paddle to the Y face button. When I try to assign the paddle and click on the Y on picture of the controller it assigns right on the left stick, or click the left stick. I don't get it. I'm on Win 10, in Steam Beta. Just trying what I thought would be a basic test.
The key binding interface has issues with mouse from my experience, try manually selecting it with the left stick and the a button.

The best thing to do is to just ask for help around the community based on what's troubling you. There's no real unanimous opinion on each part of the device, so a lot of good tips end up spread across people. There are plenty of generally well received controller guides on Youtube, but none I'd say are cohesive, since everyone has a different experience with the device. Though it's still worth watching through them, since you should find settings that work for you eventually.

The key binding interface has issues with mouse from my experience, try manually selecting it with the left stick and the a button.

Thanks. That worked. It's weird that the buttons for saving and exporting only show up in BPM and not the client. Beta!

Sophia

EDIT 2: Can't change anything's style of input anymore (e.g. change the trackpad to touch menu/scroll wheel) because Steam crashes altogether. Anyone else getting this?

Yup, I just tried to add a gyro in Far Cry 3 and it took down all of Steam with it. >_>;

One step forward, two steps back.

Ivan

Does steam controller api (or whatever) completely override windows mouse settings in terms of speed, acceleration and all that?

I really hope that's the case and that they made their own system they can control at all times.

I hate that situation when so many different factors affect mouse performance.

Especially when there are so many different approaches, trackball simulation, weight, inertia etc. Or mouse simulation as a completely different thing.

Nzyme32

Does steam controller api (or whatever) completely override windows mouse settings in terms of speed, acceleration and all that?

I really hope that's the case and that they made their own system they can control at all times.

I hate that situation when so many different factors affect mouse performance.

Especially when there are so many different approaches, trackball simulation, weight, inertia etc. Or mouse simulation as a completely different thing.

It behaves as the application dictates, with the Steam Controller modifying over that. For example in Windows Desktop, my mouse is set to a medium pointer speed and has the precision option ticked - all of these will still be active when you use the Steam Controller as a mouse / any peripheral mouse input. The Steam controller will only modify on top of that, just as with any other game / application. So in this case the Desktop Bindings in BPM will be additive to what Windows is already doing

Nzyme32

OK, so I should "turn everything off" in Windows and let the controller do everything.

For me, I actually haven't bothered. Just like with my mouse, the desktop behaves as Windows dictates - which I have got used to on both the mouse and Steam Controller. Games generally ignore what windows says and do their own thing - which works exactly they way I want it

The last few days, Big Picture mode and my steam controller have been pretty crappy. I turn on my controller and the analog stick wants to jump around like three moves at a time in big picture mode, the mouse cursor never goes away and big picture mode crashes Steam when turning off the steam controller.

Nzyme32

The last few days, Big Picture mode and my steam controller have been pretty crappy. I turn on my controller and the analog stick wants to jump around like three moves at a time in big picture mode, the mouse cursor never goes away and big picture mode crashes Steam when turning off the steam controller.

Sounds like the bug that happens if you set your computer to hibernate. It would generate an additional controller each time, so the inputs were multiplied. Restart your machine, maybe it will fix itself. You can check the BPM controller support section and if it shows multiple Steam Controllers when you only have the one, that is probably the issue

Unicorn

Bit the bullet and bought one today. First impressions are that the triggers and paddles, to a lesser extent, don't feel meaty enough making it feel imbalanced and hollow compared to an xbox pad.

Also, some games I can't get to pick up on joystick and only WASD. I mean, I probably just need to dig into the settings and figure stuff out.

Honestly the hardest first adjustment is my brain is confusing the paddles with the triggers. My mind has associated the lowest button press to trigger and now they are the middle button press between bumper and paddle. I keep clicking paddle and trigger interchangeably and it's confusing the hell out of me.

I got my second Steam controller in the mail today (have had my first since the pre-orders last year). What struck me is how much better the battery ejection levers are. With my old one, I reeeeally have to press on them to pop the battery out, and even then I have to pry them. With the new one they're easy as hell to press and the batteries basically fall out.

OK, so I should "turn everything off" in Windows and let the controller do everything.
At least disable pointer precision. Acceleration is going to knock off your aim in shooters, so it's best to disable it on all ends. I've been having a better time without it, honestly.

First impressions are that the triggers and paddles, to a lesser extent, don't feel meaty enough making it feel imbalanced and hollow compared to an xbox pad.
I didn't mind the paddles, but yes, the triggers are absolutely lacking, and the click at the end is too light. Hopefully this is fixed in the revision, because I rarely use soft pulls for this reason. The GC controller did it perfectly.

Also, the crashing was finally fixed today! Thank goodness. While I was experimenting with some stuff, I found out activators work in touch menus, which is great. They just aren't listed in them, which I hope is fixed.

Top Bottom