• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

ozprime

My right pad settings are around 3x the length of the default tick mark with no acceleration and medium trackball friction. Gyro is one tick below default with no acceleration. Dunno if I will keep my settings exactly that though. I'm still trying to work out the setup because I don't know how to handle quick weapon / equipment using yet (instead of having to move to the d-pad).

Thanks. I'll see if my fingers will play nice with that setup when I get home.

WillyFive

I tried Battlefield 4 again after having initially gave up on it closer towards the controller's release. Got to benefit from a few new tips like turning smoothing to zero and just generally being more comfortable with the controller. I managed to come in 2nd place on our team in a full Dawnbreaker conquest match (although the battle report shows me at the top) while only being a few hundred points from the top. Also outkilled the next highest guy by a fair bit. Was only my third game after trying BF4 again too.

I asked the lobby before the game if controllers are any good in the game, and I was told that they are if you enjoy getting destroyed. I ended up doing the destroying, somehow :p

Well, yeah, if you use something like an XBox 360 controller, you will get destroyed. But I tried Domination yesterday with the Steam controller and I was able to do 60%-80% of what I could do with KB&M, which is fantastic (with the 360 it's more around 10%-20%).

However, a flaw I have with the Steam controller is specific to me; and that is I play air vehicles with a flighstick on my desk; and to map it to a Steam controller I have to either change the bindings in game (which will make me lose my flightstick bindings, which no thanks), or have to create an entirely new Steam controller profile for air vehicles, and it's not like I can change profiles quickly anytime I get in or out of a vehicle (that I know of).

So essentially I'm stuck with infantry combat only with the Steam controller.

Nabs

you guys ever used the controller for point and click RPGs like titanquest? any way to map the movement to the stick?

You could try by making the analog stick a tiny mouse region where the outer ring binding is set to a mouse button.

Does anyone have a good config for Shovel Knight? The game isn't even hard but I've tried dpad with click, without click, analog set to digital, and I'm still just dying on basic platforming sections. Sometimes I just wish I put in the extra $10 and got an Xbox One or PS4 pad instead -_-

You could try by making the analog stick a tiny mouse region where the outer ring binding is set to a mouse button.

If it has a dedicated move key that might be better so as to prevent it from auto-attacking anything near you. Been a while since I played TQ though, so I don't remember if that game specifically has it.

Folks in r6 seige get really upset when you explain the weird aiming in the kill cam is because you're using a steam controller.

Also, since right now win10 "apps" are locked down, would something like a titanone converter work on the pc to trick the app into thinking an xbox controller is attached? Thinking about investing in one for scalebound.

How does the R6S kill cam look different?

atr0cious

How does the R6S kill cam look different?
Gyro aiming has a different arc than a mouse flick, especially when doing cross room shots and quick turns. I have like 3 different ways to engage gyro depending on how I place my hands, so sometimes my aim goes from shaky to smooth and back just taking corners. Still learning to get better with just free aim gyro for hip fire, which is less of a problem in a game like Overwatch which requires less precision.

Gyro aiming has a different arc than a mouse flick, especially when doing cross room shots and quick turns. I have like 3 different ways to engage gyro depending on how I place my hands, so sometimes my aim goes from shaky to smooth and back just taking corners. Still learning to get better with just free aim gyro for hip fire, which is less of a problem in a game like Overwatch which requires less precision.

Ahh, I can imagine that looking wonky. Do they think you're hacking or just mad that it's a controller?

coopolon

Anyone tried it with the Arkham games? There's a lot of face button presses which seems to be what this controller is worst for because of how it is laid out, but I like moving the camera much faster with a mouse which is what I was hoping the trackpad would help with.

Durante

Anyone tried it with the Arkham games? There's a lot of face button presses which seems to be what this controller is worst for because of how it is laid out, but I like moving the camera much faster with a mouse which is what I was hoping the trackpad would help with.
How many of the face buttons do you need, and how often? If it's primarily two of them, just map those to the grips.

Arulan

I'm not sure what you mean. This controller is the best controller with regards to giving you more potential buttons, either through modifiers, back-buttons, analog and digital triggers, the versatility of the trackpads, and various other software means. It has face buttons, but the controller is designed so that in most (sometimes with some clever bindings) cases you don't have to use them. Not having to lift your thumb off the trackpad is fantastic.

WillyFive

I tried it out with Arkham City, and the experience was absolutely amazing; however, I didn't use it much because the button prompts still had keyboard buttons, which made it confusing which button I had to press.

chronomac

Apologies if this has been asked before but is there a way to view community configuration presets in a web browser? Like browse through, say, Witcher 2 presets and how they're setup, how many times they've been downloaded, etc.

My Steam Controller arrives on Thursday and I wouldn't mind looking through a few beforehand.

Anyone having issues with using the controller as a 360 pad in some games? I am having issues with this is Final Fantasy XIII and Guilty Gear Xrd. Both games don't recognize the Steam controller inputs when it's spoofing a gamepad, but work fine when it's a keyboard. I tried both reloading Steam and opting into the beta client, but neither worked.

=/

DaveMG

Banned
I bit the bullet and bought the controller with a couple of minutes left on the sale i didnt want to due to reading the build quality issues.

I have a question. I have a joint disability and it affects my hands making a keyboard impossible to use for gaming (i sometimes struggle to use controllers for extended periods)

Is this thing a genuine substitute for a mouse and keyboard?

I bit the bullet and bought the controller with a couple of minutes left on the sale i didnt want to due to reading the build quality issues.

I have a question. I have a joint disability and it affects my hands making a keyboard impossible to use for gaming (i sometimes struggle to use controllers for extended periods)

You're not gonna be top fragging in CS:GO matches (unless you're silver) but it's 'good enough' for every genre I've tried outside of 2D platformers. For platformers I feel like this thing is barely better than a keyboard.

WillyFive

Depends what you are using it for and what you want to play. I can't speak for comfort as I don't know the details of your joint disability; but:

FPS: Far better than regular controller assuming you practice, but not quite keyboard and mouse.

Racing: Practically identical to regular controller except you can add more functions

Point and click: works just like a mouse

RTS/TBS: Just as good as keyboard and mouse assuming you practice

RPG: If it uses a controller, it will work identically to one unless you change it; if the game didn't support a controller you can make it work as a keyboard and mouse.

Sophia

I've made the controller work as a competent replacement for almost every game. So there's not much of an issue there if that's what you're worried about. Just be ready to configure stuff to your liking.

My wrists are less than ideal, and the Steam Controller doesn't bother me at all unlike extended sessions with the KB/M.

I feel like I really miss a right thumbstick in some games. I'd like if the 2nd iteration had some sort of solution to that.
Really? I've been playing Assault Android Cactus, and although it took a while to get used to, I'm starting to think the pad actually beats an analog stick at what it does best. Just have a circle shaped deadzone at a relatively big size (15 to 20 ticks is choice), and a large anti-deadzone to get more of those wider values near the end. You get so much more room for adjustment, and the haptics help a lot as well. Unless it's a different situation that the lack of one is bugging you? Either way, there's gotta be good settings for whatever you're looking for.

Can you share what those settings are? Trying to justify my purchase at the moment.

Edit: Found your Reddit post and YT vids.
Yeah, that'd be me. I think the Reddit post I made is OK, but I'm somewhat considering making a full-on video series that goes over the controller in high detail, covering the best settings among specific genres, as well as other things. There are a ton of videos made by people who bought it on launch based on the best settings they found at the time, but no real in depth analysis based on longtime experience with it. I think a series like that would help new users a lot.

The build quality isn't that bad, it's just average. I'd compare it to a 360 controller, honestly. And I wouldn't call it a substitute, but it's close enough to them in performance that if you're just playing games to have fun, you're not going to feel impaired. I don't think you'll regret your purchase.

Padinn

I still can't get the controller keyboard to work reliably on my system (it never appears). I suspect some other overlay is causing havoc - any known issues with other overlays (Origin, UPlay, Rivatuner, Geforce Experience) that would cause it not to appear?

Valahart

So on the Community Configurations for each game, is there any page to talk about each of them? Sometimes I just can't find a button to do something on a game, so I feel like asking someone but was unable to find a place to do so.

Also, sometimes the original creator of the configuration writes a text that's too long and doesn't show up completely on the description. Is there any way to expand it and read it?

Foxyone

Really? I've been playing Assault Android Cactus, and although it took a while to get used to, I'm starting to think the pad actually beats an analog stick at what it does best. Just have a circle shaped deadzone at a relatively big size (15 to 20 ticks is choice), and a large anti-deadzone to get more of those wider values near the end. You get so much more room for adjustment, and the haptics help a lot as well. Unless it's a different situation that the lack of one is bugging you? Either way, there's gotta be good settings for whatever you're looking for.

I'll have to give that a try at some point. I'm hoping there's at least something that would allow for smooth movement to make a 30 fps game "playable".

I'll have to give that a try at some point. I'm hoping there's at least something that would allow for smooth movement to make a 30 fps game "playable".
Hm. Is the issue about analog camera control with the trackpad? I feel joystick camera works OK at relaxed settings. Feels close enough to joystick movement by not having locked values across the pad, and instead depending on how far you pull. Honestly though, I tend to pick mouse joystick over it. It feels fine with low friction, which is a nice way to get around limited camera speed.

Also, if the big problem is that mouse input doesn't feel too great when you're using v-sync, I know where you're coming from. It's better to just cap frames at 30 with something like Nvidia Inspector/RadeonPro. I was worried about it before playing Dark Souls 1, but mouse camera feels a lot better this way. There was hardly any screen tearing as well, though I guess there's no guarantee it'd be the same case across other games.

Mouse Region + Assault Android Cactus with KB/M controls = amazing!
I tried this out too, and completely agree. Aiming is incredibly precise when you're using the trackpad as actual 1:1 input. It's just a bummer that there's no simultaneous mouse+gamepad. I ended up sticking to controller input, because analog movement really helped me adjust better amidst waves of bullets.

Sophia

I tried this out too, and completely agree. Aiming is incredibly precise when you're using the trackpad as actual 1:1 input. It's just a bummer that there's no simultaneous mouse+gamepad. I ended up sticking to controller input, because analog movement really helped me adjust better amidst waves of bullets.

Yeah, simultaneous input would be a godsend. Could use the left trackpad for movement, and the right trackpad for precise aiming.

I originally tried the analog sticks on the pads, but it just wasn't precise enough for aiming. It was too slow to react no matter what I did. Using the mouse as 1:1 movement fixed that.

Oreoleo

Anyone having issues with using the controller as a 360 pad in some games? I am having issues with this is Final Fantasy XIII and Guilty Gear Xrd. Both games don't recognize the Steam controller inputs when it's spoofing a gamepad, but work fine when it's a keyboard. I tried both reloading Steam and opting into the beta client, but neither worked.

=/

The only thing I can think of is to make sure the controller is on before you boot the game. It's rare, but I've had a game or two not recognize my controller if I turned it on after the game was already running. Might be something to do with the 360 controller driver/API/whatever.

Nabs

Android Assault Cactus with a mouse region is baller. Loving it.

i've actually never used that function, would be crazy if it works!

That's how I'm playing Trails in the Sky. I know it supports controller input, but it actually feels really good with a mouse setup.

Nerrel

I've been trying like hell to get a Resident Evil 4 config for this that feels good in time for Cris and Albert's texture upgrade but it's been tough coming off the Wii version. The Wii remote's IR camera is superior to anything the Steam controller has in my opinion... the trackpad falls way short, and the gyro is an acceptable downgrade at best. I managed to find sensitivities that feel good and it's better than a dual analog controller, but damn... the Wii remote is such an underrated controller for what it can do for shooting games. Maybe Valve could go nuts and put an IR camera in the next revision?

I think it'd be a good idea to have a traditional controller to have access to a real dpad if nothing else, and the Wii U Pro Controller might be the best one to pair with the Steam Controller. It feels great, has a decent dpad, and has a longer battery life than all other contemporary controllers.

That's my combination right now and it works great. I use the Wii U Pro for any retro games requiring a good D-pad, since the Steam controller is not great in that role regardless of how much people might talk up the virtual D-pad. I also use it for the odd game that the Steam pad just doesn't work well for, like where joystick mouse doesn't work well.

derFeef

I wanted to make a custom setting for Hotline Miami so that you have to only touch the left pad fo the zoom mode and keep using it to look around. But it did not work.
Left pad Mouse Region, on touch it presses LB but the mouse does nothing, I could use the right pad for looking around though, which is the thing I want to avoid.

Any ideas? Or do I not see an option for Mouse on the pad where you can have a button press on touch?

does steam crash for anyone else from time to time while gaming? i think its related to the steam controller or something since it only ever happens when I'm using that. I know for sure that sometimes when editing a config itll make steam crash, happens to me all the time when I'm trying to make a config for dolphin, but lately its been crashign for me even when I'm just playing a game.

Nabs

I've been trying like hell to get a Resident Evil 4 config for this that feels good in time for Cris and Albert's texture upgrade but it's been tough coming off the Wii version. The Wii remote's IR camera is superior to anything the Steam controller has in my opinion... the trackpad falls way short, and the gyro is an acceptable downgrade at best. I managed to find sensitivities that feel good and it's better than a dual analog controller, but damn... the Wii remote is such an underrated controller for what it can do for shooting games. Maybe Valve could go nuts and put an IR camera in the next revision?

I don't think it's fair to compare the two without using the same version of the game. Aiming/Look isn't handled the same between PC and Wii. The Wii has that lightgun cursor and works beautifully with a Steam Controller mouse region config.

I wanted to make a custom setting for Hotline Miami so that you have to only touch the left pad fo the zoom mode and keep using it to look around. But it did not work.
Left pad Mouse Region, on touch it presses LB but the mouse does nothing, I could use the right pad for looking around though, which is the thing I want to avoid.

Any ideas? Or do I not see an option for Mouse on the pad where you can have a button press on touch?

If you're trying to set the touch action to LB, you may want to use the keyboard equivalent instead (Left Shift?). My personal HLM config uses a mouse region like yours, but I put left shift on one of the grips so I can look around. The Click action is the execution button, but when I'm holding the grip it changes to lock on.

Grinchy

Banned
does steam crash for anyone else from time to time while gaming? i think its related to the steam controller or something since it only ever happens when I'm using that. I know for sure that sometimes when editing a config itll make steam crash, happens to me all the time when I'm trying to make a config for dolphin, but lately its been crashign for me even when I'm just playing a game.

Yeah IMO it's probably just from big picture mode. That shit is so fucking buggy, even to this day. The only time I've ever had issues with crashing have come after buying the steam controller and being forced to use BPM.

Nzyme32

Yes, extremely frustrating and seemingly random. I think it is BPM rather than the controller. I get an error that says something along the lines of "WXGI driver disconnect / failure" or some such, at which point BPM and the controller are unresponsive and Steam itself will crash or have closed outside the game

Oreoleo

Not in like 5 months. But I'm on stable now so maybe it's something to do with the beta branch? I've stopped using BPM almost entirely as well, instead just editing configs through the normal steam interface.

Yes, but I think only in big picture. I usually get 'DXDI device not available' or something like that.

krpiper

My steam controller wont link to my steam link wireless anymore using the dongle. It worked when I first got my link but the power strip everything was on got bumped and now when I try to sync my controller it just flashes the steam logo even when I go to add a new controller in the settings.

I have even factory reset the link and reloaded the steam controller firmware, with no luck.

Any ideas?

Nzyme32

My steam controller wont link to my steam link wireless anymore using the dongle. It worked when I first got my link but the power strip everything was on got bumped and now when I try to sync my controller it just flashes the steam logo even when I go to add a new controller in the settings.

I have even factory reset the link and reloaded the steam controller firmware, with no luck.

Any ideas?

Not really, but I thought you didn't need the dongle in the first place since the Link has the receiver stuff built in...

laxu

Not a single crash so far. The only thing that sometimes happens is that pushing the logo button on the Steam Controller doesn't show the BPM overlay.

Nabs

Any ideas?

Yeah, the link doesn't need a dongle. If you already paired it to your PC, try holding the A button and then the Steam button to switch pairing.

Nerrel

I don't think it's fair to compare the two without using the same version of the game. Aiming/Look isn't handled the same between PC and Wii. The Wii has that lightgun cursor and works beautifully with a Steam Controller mouse region config.

It's undoubtedly true that the aiming is different, but I'm talking about just the movement itself. Being able to "pre-aim" using the cursor is like cheating, but really the main advantage on Wii is just how quickly and precisely you can place the cursor on targets, even when enemies are on different sides of the screen. One of my favorite things to do in the Wii version is alternate between two enemies quickly, headshotting one and then rapidly switching to the other over and over, in order to prevent either of them from attacking. You can do that with the IR camera with ease, but pulling off that kind of movement with a gyro is very unlikely... it's sluggish in comparison for big movements. The trackpad also isn't really precise enough for it in my opinion.

The great thing about the Wii remote is that it allows you to aim very precisely and make fine adjustments, but it also allows you to make huge movements across the screen very quickly and accurately. You can do any kind of movement from the wrist. The gyro is great for small adjustments, but it can't really do big movements well. I find the trackpad to be the reverse; it's good for big camera adjustments, but I don't like it much for fine aiming. Just like in Splatoon and other gyro games, you have to combine them to get the best results, while the IR camera can do everything alone.

I'm not saying the Steam controller is bad for the game or anything. The scheme I've set up works well and I've gotten my accuracy up to over 90% on the last chapters, but with the remote I always had 98-100%. It just doesn't control as well, even if it's much better than dual analog.

Incidentally, I'm having a hard time getting the scroll buttons to map into the game to control the rifle zoom. I had the right track pad modified when pressed so that it would become a scroll wheel, but the game doesn't respond to it at all. For now I've got zoom in mapped to a bumper, which requires hitting the button about 10 times to get a decent zoom. Any way to actually get the scrollwheel emulation to actually work that I'm missing?

Tyrus

Banned
Just got my Steam Controller yesterday, bought during the Amazon US sales. Was still fairly pricey to get it imported to Australia, but so far well worth it.

Used it to play Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines from the couch and I got everything set up and running within minutes. There were only a few community configs for the game but the top result was awesome and I can see it only taking me a few more hours to get used to all the additional buttons (paddles, action shift, etc). So so happy I can play this amazing RPG on my big screen TV.

What other games without controller support are good fits for the Steam Controller? So far I'm thinking, for future:

- Civilization V
- Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Anyone tried these particular games with their Steam Controller?

Soodanim

Just got my Steam Controller yesterday, bought during the Amazon US sales. Was still fairly pricey to get it imported to Australia, but so far well worth it.

Used it to play Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines from the couch and I got everything set up and running within minutes. There were only a few community configs for the game but the top result was awesome and I can see it only taking me a few more hours to get used to all the additional buttons (paddles, action shift, etc). So so happy I can play this amazing RPG on my big screen TV.

What other games without controller support are good fits for the Steam Controller? So far I'm thinking, for future:

- Civilization V
- Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Anyone tried these particular games with their Steam Controller?

I was playing a bit of Oblivion last night actually. Maybe I need to tweak the settings a bit more, but I feel I lack the precision necessary for of the menu navigation. It's not natural for me. Today I've decided to switch back to m+kb.

The fundamental issue for me is the fine movements. Using a decent mouse I have no problem at all. Maybe I need to play with the dead zone or turn the sensitivity down and add edge spin. People seem to have great success with gyro aiming, but I'm going to need a lot more practice with that.

The fundamental issue for me is the fine movements. Using a decent mouse I have no problem at all. Maybe I need to play with the dead zone or turn the sensitivity down and add edge spin. People seem to have great success with gyro aiming, but I'm going to need a lot more practice with that.

Mouselook on the right stick works really well for me. No deadzones, high sensitivity.

Top Bottom