• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Unai

I've tried playing some Resident Evil 5 because of the console lauch, and the auto Action Set switching when the cursor is enabled works really well for menu controls. I had an all in one setting before but now I can make a much improved setting thanks to it.

I just got one during the sale and it just shipped today. I see a lot of posts of having to configure it manually for games. Is this a process I have to go through for every game I want to play? Or is it like an Xbox controller where there's a default auto mapping for games it's compatible with.

Unicorn

I really hope the next revision adds bluetooth support so I don't need to have a USB dongle plugged in, I hope it has an internal battery for charging and also keep the typical AA battery support for when the internal battery dies. The batteries will potentially add more heft to the controller.

I'm also disliking the forced big picture mode on occasion as it's messing with my borderless window mode settings on certain games. I probably just need to dig into the settings, but i don't like the bigger footprint of notification of big picture mode while i'm at my pc.

I just played some Invisible Inc and the developer settings are really good - almost exactly what I was planning on setting them to anyway, but mouse cursor settings are a bit off. Maybe I need to adjust, but I need to also figure out how to tinker with them and what certain settings mean to get the feel I want exactly.

This definitely feels like a controller I will need certain games to play as stepping stones rather than jumping in head first into Quake Live tournament to learn the ropes.

Sophia

The insistence on big picture mode is probably my #1 complaint with the controller, especially because BPM doesn't work well with a keyboard and mouse even when it's not bugged out. I'm sure it's great for people who are using HTPC setups, but I'd really just like to have a standard configuration menu with drop down menus and the like.

The insistence on big picture mode is probably my #1 complaint with the controller, especially because BPM doesn't work well with a keyboard and mouse even when it's not bugged out. I'm sure it's great for people who are using HTPC setups, but I'd really just like to have a standard configuration menu with drop down menus and the like.

You don't have to use BPM.

brawly

Just played Dark Messiah Might and Magic. It's amazing how adaptable the controller is for. I just want to know why STEAM isn't allowing alternative button config for the triggers and ABXY buttons. It would also be nice to have a built in "hold" function since this game doesn't have toggled crouch.

This is what I came for here to ask. Anyone else played this gem?

Sophia

You don't have to use BPM.

Yes, you do. The Big Picture Mode overlay is enforced when using the Steam Controller by default, and is needed for some touch menu related stuff. The controller configuration also launches it even if you launch it from the regular desktop client.

You no longer need to go into Big Picture Mode for everything, sure, and can launch the configuration from the desktop. But if you want to customize the control you still need to use the clunky BPM interface. If you want the touch-enabled menus and stuff, you still need the BPM overlay when running the game. It sucks, it is prone to crashing on a regular basis, it's not optimized for my monitor, and it makes the task of customizing the controller for a game way more difficult due to being so clunky.

I want to see it completely divorced from Big Picture Mode, with a configuration tool that uses the standard Steam layout. Not what we have now, which basically calls up the BPM overlay when it's needed. The day I never have to see this clunky screen ever again will be a real blessing:

20160630132509_1f3spw.jpg

Sophia

I didn't realize you had to use BPM for touch menu stuff, that's dumb.

Yeah. The controller itself will function if the regular Steam Overlay is present, but the touch menu stuff won't work. And of course you can't customize the controller if the regular overlay is activated.

Still, it is much improved from when I first got the controller, and BPM was required for everything, up to and including launching the game.

Sophia

Oh yeah, those early days were rough. Is there some technical reason BPM is required for touch menus right now? Surely it wasn't just an oversight, right?

I have no idea. They tied everything into BPM to begin with, presumably because of the (failed) Steam Machines push. :\

XxRaiDeNxX

Neo Member
hi guys, I bought a stema controller but I'm having some problems with the right sensor. It doesn't feel precise and it doesn't make the noise everytime i move the thumb on the circle. Even if I try to do some circles with the pointer, sometimes it goes in a direction without continuing to finish the circle. It's like it doesn't always read my thumbs
What can I do?

Unicorn

hi guys, I bought a stema controller but I'm having some problems with the right sensor. It doesn't feel precise and it doesn't make the noise everytime i move the thumb on the circle. Even if I try to do some circles with the pointer, sometimes it goes in a direction without continuing to finish the circle. It's like it doesn't always read my thumbs
What can I do?

ensure you're using the tip of your thumb (just below your thumbnail).

I just played some Invisible Inc and the developer settings are really good - almost exactly what I was planning on setting them to anyway, but mouse cursor settings are a bit off. Maybe I need to adjust, but I need to also figure out how to tinker with them and what certain settings mean to get the feel I want exactly.
They might be using the default smoothing, which is incredibly high. I recommend it off completely (at least on the trackpad, not sure if you're using gyro), though if it's a game that doesn't require twitch movements, lower settings should be fine (5 ticks should be OK, for example). Invisible Inc is more of an SRPG, right? So a little shouldn't hurt.

This definitely feels like a controller I will need certain games to play as stepping stones rather than jumping in head first into Quake Live tournament to learn the ropes.
Yeah, absolutely. My brother was stubborn and asked to play CS:GO with it when I first got the thing. Having not really learned the right settings, and of course, that game relying heavily on twitch movement, he had an awful time, and is only recently giving it another chance. I finally got around to that game recently, having using the controller since launch, and I never felt held back (aside from my reflexes, which are slowly improving).

It's best to play simpler single-player campaigns as a sort of target practice. Tomb Raider 2013, with a good configuration, is a great start in my opinion. Lots of slow moving targets for you to snipe out, with the right amount of combat bowls to test your reflexes. Only complaint is that the gamepad aim assist actually hurts trackpad aiming a bit. Older FPS games are better in that regard. After playing a lot of older id titles, I found Quake 2's campaign in particular to be a great fit for the controller.

I want to see it completely divorced from Big Picture Mode, with a configuration tool that uses the standard Steam layout.
Ideally, I'd love to see Steam build an API for the controller completely detached from any sort of Steam overlay, with games handling settings for the device from within them. Probably keep what they have now as a "legacy" tool, but hopefully encouraging more of an embrace towards it natively. I understand it streamlines a lot of things, but it's also living under the 360 controller and Keyboard+Mouse like a little brother. Maybe there would be more devs shrugging it off if it was done this way, but it would also encourage devs to take a little more time with it. Most of the "native" configs are literally just the 360 standard binds with mouse-look, when the Steam Controller allows for more diverse input (important movement on the grips, touch menus, gesture-based input, etc). Sadly, I don't think it's likely at this point.

What can I do?
How far are you from it? The dongle doesn't have too great of a reach (from my experience with two of these things), so you may not send some input if you're a good distance away. Keep close to your desk, or use the extender it comes with if necessary.

XxRaiDeNxX

Neo Member
How far are you from it? The dongle doesn't have too great of a reach (from my experience with two of these things), so you may not send some input if you're a good distance away. Keep close to your desk, or use the extender it comes with if necessary.

I have this problem even if I use the cable instead of the dongle. When I test the controller, the green circle on the touchpad sometimes disappear.

beanman25

So, I ordered the Steam Link/Controller bundle last night off the steam store.

I've wanted the controller for a long time and wasn't even aware the link existed.

Anywho, just want to know if you can also use it to browse the web? as in assigning mouse to track pad, etc..

Firehead

I've wanted the controller for a long time and wasn't even aware the link existed.

Anywho, just want to know if you can also use it to browse the web? as in assigning mouse to track pad, etc..

You can. Steam Link mirrors your computer's screen, so you can either use BPM's web browser or your computer's browser and use the Steam Controller to navigate. It's also possible to use a mouse and keyboard with it as well.

Just turn the SC on and you have mouse control.

Durante

I got my second Steam controller in the mail today (have had my first since the pre-orders last year). What struck me is how much better the battery ejection levers are. With my old one, I reeeeally have to press on them to pop the battery out, and even then I have to pry them. With the new one they're easy as hell to press and the batteries basically fall out.
This may actually be the single most inconvenient thing about my "launch" Steam controller, glad to hear they silently fixed it.

Nabs

A tiny, tiny thing that I think is pretty awesome: I was playing Dark Messiah of M&M and I put Quick Load and Quick Save on the Back and Start buttons with a long press activator. It feels perfect, and it doesn't take up any important buttons. So cool.

One Steam Controller / Steam Link tip: The Steam Link doesn't require a dongle to use the controller, just hold X and Press the Steam button to pair it. Once it's paired to both your PC and Steam Link, just hold A+Steam Button to swap between the two when the controller is off.

Crayon

This may actually be the single most inconvenient thing about my "launch" Steam controller, glad to hear they silently fixed it.

Agreed. If you have these:

redpainted_fingernails03924a70ae2c75a1f075.jpg

... You have to monkey-paw a bic pen and jam down hard and true (to not bend the pen or slip off the lever!!) to get the battery to pop out.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally buckled down and spent a bunch of time making my own configuration for Fallout 4. I haven't bothered to try this in any game yet, so it was many hours of testing settings to see what they do and what works.

I finally have a config that uses the Mouse option for the right trackpad and WASD on the left joystick. Then of course I have it emulating all other keyboard presses on other buttons. Learning all the advanced options, the action sets, ect was so time consuming, but it's so awesome that this is possible.

The game itself introduces so much input lag through its forced vsync. Turning that off in the inis to use the mouse movement was key. Now the game feels quite responsive. I have very precise mouse control and gyro. The gyro is really damn good, I've found.

Anteater

yay with dgvoodoo the steam overlay works in shogo

i could use the touch menu!

man the steam controller opens up so many games for me, I'm even enjoying doom 3 and unreal 2!

Franco_hunter

Neo Member
I have a question, just bought a controller, the haptics didnt make it feel like a trackball at all. It just vibrates as i move my finger, but i was expecting it to actually FEEL like a trackball to the touch. Is something wrong with my controller or its suposed to be like this? I was asked to reset BPM as soon as i connected the controller, so i guess i got the update.
Thanks!

Crayon

I have a question, just bought a controller, the haptics didnt make it feel like a trackball at all. It just vibrates as i move my finger, but i was expecting it to actually FEEL like a trackball to the touch. Is something wrong with my controller or its suposed to be like this? I was asked to reset BPM as soon as i connected the controller, so i guess i got the update.
Thanks!

It's working. It's not like if you felt it blindfolded you would think it's a trackball.

It feels like a trackball in the sense that it conveys the information about it's velocity like a trackball would but essentially it's just vibrating, yes.

Thanks!

It's like a trackball in that you can flick it and the cursor will keep moving for a distance. The distance, force required, and rumble can be adjusted.

Franco_hunter

Neo Member
It's working. It's not like if you felt it blindfolded you would think it's a trackball.

It feels like a trackball in the sense that it conveys the information about it's velocity like a trackball would but essentially it's just vibrating, yes.

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, it was missinformation on my part, from the reviews i thought it would vibrates making it feel like you were touching an spheric form, my expectations may sound pretty stupid haha. So its bassically a trackpad that rumble when you touch it.

It's like a trackball in that you can flick it and the cursor will keep moving for a distance. The distance, force required, and rumble can be adjusted.

Great, glad my controller does what is supossed to :)

I have this problem even if I use the cable instead of the dongle. When I test the controller, the green circle on the touchpad sometimes disappear.
You may have been really unlucky and gotten a faulty one, as I've never heard that happen before. If recalibrating it doesn't work (should be around the same options as the controller test you mentioned), send a support ticket to Valve asking for a replacement.

Thanks!
Yeah, HD Haptics was nothing more than a buzzword. Shouldn't feel like anything more than a tick, haha. It does help determine how strong a flick is, though, which I appreciate. Kind of wish there was a way to disable it for all movement that isn't a flick.

Franco_hunter

Neo Member
Yeah, HD Haptics was nothing more than a buzzword. Shouldn't feel like anything more than a tick, haha. It does help determine how strong a flick is, though, which I appreciate. Kind of wish there was a way to disable it for all movement that isn't a flick.

Yeah, they kind of got me with that one haha. For anyone reading, im not bashing the controller or anything, i was missinformed, just that, I got it minutes ago and im still trying it out. The front buttons feels great to me btw, tought it would be a problem from reading some reviews, maybe it has to do with my hands size.

Anteater

A tiny, tiny thing that I think is pretty awesome: I was playing Dark Messiah of M&M and I put Quick Load and Quick Save on the Back and Start buttons with a long press activator. It feels perfect, and it doesn't take up any important buttons. So cool.

just started doing this, gonna save scum these old fps :p

fucking sale tho, I wanted to grab some older games to play with this but the discounts suck, the star war games aren't even on sale.

but I guess I have enough to play, still got return to castle wolfenstein

The front buttons feels great to me btw, tought it would be a problem from reading some reviews, maybe it has to do with my hands size.
It's the position, a lot of people don't want to adjust to them since a 360 has them on the top right. Coming off a Wii U Pro Controller, I think it works just fine.

Nabs

just started doing this, gonna save scum these old fps :p

fucking sale tho, I wanted to grab some older games to play with this but the discounts suck, the star war games aren't even on sale.

but I guess I have enough to play, still got return to castle wolfenstein

RTCW was one of the first shooters I played through with the Steam Controller. I used it to to practice with the trackpad and gyro, and I had a great time playing through it. I think I have a decent config to help get you started so you don't have to slog through all of the menus, but since it's one of my first it may require some obvious tweaks.

ampere

At this point I'd urge newcomers to just wait for the revision, since Valve has officially confirmed it. The current controller is pretty great and all, but there are lots of shortcomings (cheap and awkwardly placed face buttons, stiff bumpers, stiff grips) and I have no doubt the revision will be far better. Valve has been great at listening to fans and they've done an amazing job just with software updates alone, I'm sure with all the feedback and data they have now they'll make some great improvements.

30% off is a great deal, so buy now if you want, but I can guarantee there'll be a 2.0 that you'll want to have within a year or so.

I've been pretty on the fence about trying it, so I probably will wait for the revision to think about it again. I still do play most of my Steam games with keyboard and mouse, and the wired 360 controller I have is OK for games that aren't keyboard friendly. Still do have the urge to try the dual trackpad setup

didamangi

It's the position, a lot of people don't want to adjust to them since a 360 has them on the top right. Coming off a Wii U Pro Controller, I think it works just fine.

What are your thoughts on the Wii U Pro Controller for the PC? I already have the Mayflash Wii U Pro Controller dongle for PC but I still haven't bought the controller, opted for the steam controller first. But maybe for the games that I just can't adjust at all with the steam controller buying the Wii U Pro with it's similar button layout might be a good idea.

Now that I've learnt how to use the trackpad and gyro for aiming at the same time, I gotta say it works really damn well. It's not as good as a mouse for things such as circle strafing, but it sure beats struggling with an analog stick.

Oscar

I just got one during the sale and it just shipped today. I see a lot of posts of having to configure it manually for games. Is this a process I have to go through for every game I want to play? Or is it like an Xbox controller where there's a default auto mapping for games it's compatible with.

Mine just got here yesterday and I've been playing around with it, had similar concerns as you.

There's default auto mapping on games with "Full controller support" listed. Simple plug and play.

For other games, you can easily browse for "layouts" via the Steam Link/Big Picture OS. It's very simple and intuitive, not a hassle at all. With three simple button presses you can browse a catalog of community submitted layouts for the game that is currently running, and the OS will automatically map your controller to the layout you chose.

What are your thoughts on the Wii U Pro Controller for the PC? I already have the Mayflash Wii U Pro Controller dongle for PC but I still haven't bought the controller, opted for the steam controller first. But maybe for the games that I just can't adjust at all with the steam controller buying the Wii U Pro with it's similar button layout might be a good idea.
It's OK for anything that isn't a driving game. Still, if you want my honest opinion? Stick with the Steam Controller, you pretty much own the best controller on the market already. If you're having issues getting used to it, it's probably less that it'll never click, and more that you haven't found the right settings. Which is difficult, I know, but that's what the community is here for. I've owned it since launch, and I only recently found the best settings for shooters. It was worth it, because it just does things that a traditional controller could never do. The right trackpad in particular can pretty much do everything a right analog stick can and more.

Anteater

oo my friend has SiN episode I'll give that a try too

RTCW was one of the first shooters I played through with the Steam Controller. I used it to to practice with the trackpad and gyro, and I had a great time playing through it. I think I have a decent config to help get you started so you don't have to slog through all of the menus, but since it's one of my first it may require some obvious tweaks.

I got one set up really quick, not sure if I'm missing any buttons!

Do people even use leaning in these games? I usually have it on the gyro but it's usually too slow to use

I think it'd be a good idea to have a traditional controller to have access to a real dpad if nothing else, and the Wii U Pro Controller might be the best one to pair with the Steam Controller. It feels great, has a decent dpad, and has a longer battery life than all other contemporary controllers.

Nabs

oo my friend has SiN episode I'll give that a try too

I got one set up really quick, not sure if I'm missing any buttons!

Do people even use leaning in these games? I usually have it on the gyro but it's usually too slow to use

The AI can be so ridiculous in those older games, you might have to use it towards the end.

Lower the deadzone for leans if they're taking too much effort. I'm pretty sure there's an option for that, anyways.

I think it'd be a good idea to have a traditional controller to have access to a real dpad if nothing else, and the Wii U Pro Controller might be the best one to pair with the Steam Controller.
I still think the analog stick in digital mode is a fine d-pad replacement. As much as I love d-pads, and think they're a very important staple of controllers, there's nothing inherently worse about the analog stick when set up right. Only issue might be getting used to the feel of it, but I personally kind of like it! Feels like an arcade stick, in a way.

It is all about preference, though. If you absolutely need a d-pad, a Wii U Pro Controller is probably the way to go.

Foxyone

I feel like I really miss a right thumbstick in some games. I'd like if the 2nd iteration had some sort of solution to that.

I use Wii U pro with Mayflash for Retroarch and Dpad games and Steam controller for all else. I wish I could get it to one but this seems to fit all needs.

It's OK for anything that isn't a driving game. Still, if you want my honest opinion? Stick with the Steam Controller, you pretty much own the best controller on the market already. If you're having issues getting used to it, it's probably less that it'll never click, and more that you haven't found the right settings. Which is difficult, I know, but that's what the community is here for. I've owned it since launch, and I only recently found the best settings for shooters.

Can you share what those settings are? Trying to justify my purchase at the moment.

Edit: Found your Reddit post and YT vids.

Anteater

oh yeah I got Max Payne too!

The AI can be so ridiculous in those older games, you might have to use it towards the end.

Lower the deadzone for leans if they're taking too much effort. I'm pretty sure there's an option for that, anyways.

aww I'll keep them there then

yeah AIs are bizarre from the games I've played so far, they shoot before you enter a room

Shogo AIs hide behind corners and they startled me quite a few times because they shoot right when you enter the room lol

Foxyone

I tried Battlefield 4 again after having initially gave up on it closer towards the controller's release. Got to benefit from a few new tips like turning smoothing to zero and just generally being more comfortable with the controller. I managed to come in 2nd place on our team in a full Dawnbreaker conquest match (although the battle report shows me at the top) while only being a few hundred points from the top. Also outkilled the next highest guy by a fair bit. Was only my third game after trying BF4 again too.

I asked the lobby before the game if controllers are any good in the game, and I was told that they are if you enjoy getting destroyed. I ended up doing the destroying, somehow :p

atr0cious

I asked the lobby before the game if controllers are any good in the game, and I was told that they are if you enjoy getting destroyed. I ended up doing the destroying, somehow :p
Folks in r6 seige get really upset when you explain the weird aiming in the kill cam is because you're using a steam controller.

Also, since right now win10 "apps" are locked down, would something like a titanone converter work on the pc to trick the app into thinking an xbox controller is attached? Thinking about investing in one for scalebound.

ozprime

I tried Battlefield 4 again after having initially gave up on it closer towards the controller's release. Got to benefit from a few new tips like turning smoothing to zero and just generally being more comfortable with the controller. I managed to come in 2nd place on our team in a full Dawnbreaker conquest match (although the battle report shows me at the top) while only being a few hundred points from the top. Also outkilled the next highest guy by a fair bit. Was only my third game after trying BF4 again too.

Can you tell me what your BF4 settings are or where I can find the tips you got? I'm a console BF4 player who's been dabbling in PC gaming for a few weeks and just got a Steam Controller.

Foxyone

Can you tell me what your BF4 settings are or where I can find the tips you got? I'm a console BF4 player who's been dabbling in PC gaming for a few weeks and just got a Steam Controller.

My right pad settings are around 3x the length of the default tick mark with no acceleration and medium trackball friction. Gyro is one tick below default with no acceleration. Dunno if I will keep my settings exactly that though. I'm still trying to work out the setup because I don't know how to handle quick weapon / equipment using yet (instead of having to move to the d-pad).

Top Bottom