• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Arulan

So after the announcement made at Steam Dev Days, I'm curious; are there any Steam Controller users here who are considering dropping the device over the upcoming DS4 support? If so, why? What aspects of both controllers caused you to consider? Not asking this because I'm thinking about it; the Steam Controller does things other controllers cant, and I'm really content with it. I'm just curious to hear if anyone is actually considering switching over.

Of course not. Not only does the Steam Controller have functionality that no other controller does, but it does just about every task better. I think the D-Pad use-case could be better though. Otherwise I'm using Mouse and Keyboard for the large majority of games, or specialized controllers (HOTAS, Fight Stick, etc.).

Layell

So after the announcement made at Steam Dev Days, I'm curious; are there any Steam Controller users here who are considering dropping the device over the upcoming DS4 support? If so, why? What aspects of both controllers caused you to consider? Not asking this because I'm thinking about it; the Steam Controller does things other controllers cant, and I'm really content with it. I'm just curious to hear if anyone is actually considering switching over.

The DS4 support is nice, and perhaps if I want to play with a friend who has one that will work great.

But the steam controller has the following great features that are still unmatched with any other controller:
-2 great touchpads
-Dual stage triggers
-Paddles on the back

But more options are great, and I'm glad to see this was included.

AdamVj23

Neo Member
First of all, I just want to thank everyone in this thread for encouraging me to buy a Steam Controller and for all the support you provide - you guys are awesome!

While there are still areas that I find the Steam Controller to be lacking or just too jarring to use (FPS games, games that don't support simultaneous M/KB and Gamepad) I generally think it's a fantastic controller, once you get over the steep learning curve, that is.

The DualShock 4 support will be really interesting. I'm not a fan of the DS4 overall, mainly because of its pathetic battery life and the fact the sticks wear down with regular use (unacceptable), but I think the touchpad and gyro will at least be utilised now.

Sini

I asked this in Steam DS4 thread but I think I have better chance of getting an answer here:
Is there any breakdown how Steam Controller emulates DirectInput/Xinput and KB/M? Does it all go through Steam? How much work does the controller itself do?

kami_sama

I asked this in Steam DS4 thread but I think I have better chance of getting an answer here:

I think it doesn't emulate at all. Every time you start a game, steam uploads a profile into the controller and works as a m/kb and xinput controller natively.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
For as unsuitable a d-pad the trackpad might be, it's still somehow significantly better than the 360's actual dpad.

Sophia

I actually feel like the left trackpad isn't that bad, but it does have a handful of issues. It's very difficult to hit Start/Select on it with the pad in touch mode.

So I'm having a weird issue... neither Black Ops 3 or Witcher 3 seem to work with my Steam Controller. The steam overlay won't pop up in either game, and seemingly only the right toughpad controls and a few buttons/triggers are passed through to the actual game, no movement on the joypad, etc.

Other games such as Rocket League still work flawlessly, overlay, the whole lot.

Anybody else come across something similar?

Dec

So I'm having a weird issue... neither Black Ops 3 or Witcher 3 seem to work with my Steam Controller. The steam overlay won't pop up in either game, and seemingly only the right toughpad controls and a few buttons/triggers are passed through to the actual game, no movement on the joypad, etc.

Other games such as Rocket League still work flawlessly, overlay, the whole lot.

Sounds like the controller is in desktop mode in those games by what you describe (right pad mouse look, triggers left/right click).

Which makes sense as the steam overlay isn't working. Fix the steam overlay and you'll fix your issue.

Anteater

How's Shadow Warrior 2 with a Steam Controller? I just bought the game but haven't tried it yet, I haven't touched my controller for a while because I've been too lazy to set it up lol

City 17

You're not alone, seems to be related to the latest Win 10 builds... causing problems for the overlay.

deleted

I'm not.

I would be happy if Steam gets official Wii U Pro pad support, since that's my current controller of choice for those games I don't use the Steam Controller for. (Since the only major weakness on the Steam controller is digital directional control IMHO, and the d-pad on the Wii U Pro pad is really good)

In general, I don't really believe in "dropping" one input method for another. I like to have a set at my disposal that can deal with various game types.

If you own a Steam Link, it already kinda does. It's recognized as an xinput device and you can use several for local MP games e.g.
It's not fully customizable yet, but for games where you mostly use the dpad, that isn't as crucial to begin with.

Played through BroForce, Shovel Knight and several other games with it, it played like a dream.

Dec

Anyone gotten the Steam controller to work on BF1? The game outright refuses to boot if launched from Steam.

It worked in the beta, but I'm not sure if anything has changed. I think it's recommended to disable Origin's overlay if you have not.

Also I don't know if this is obvious, but you add the origin client as a non-steam game, launch the client through steam then launch the game through Origin.

Anteater

alright! Uploaded my config for Shadow Warrior 2, feel free to modify it, it's called snappy controls on the community.

It's basically sorta 360-ish, with mouse aim and gyro, I didn't add touch menu because the weapon wheel is much more convenient in the game, due to the fact that you can slot in any weapon you want and weapon wheel's icon display is dynamic.

One personal preference I think improves the controls is mapping quick switch melee/range to L1 and R1, holding L1 still gives you the weapon wheel but quickly pressing it will switch back the the katana, R1 will switch to range weapon, so you can keep your thumb on your touchpad without letting go.

Shadow Warrior 2013 was one of the games that really benefit from the steam controller, and I think 2 is even better, go play it :D

Josh5890

I've had this controller for a couple of months and I am having a hard time wraping my head around it. It is uncomfortable to hold. Playing Rocket League feels weird as well. I don't know if it because I am used to playing with dualshock and xbox controllers for so long. I have a hard time aiming with my right thumb too.

Is there a better way to hold/use the controller?

Nzyme32

I've had this controller for a couple of months and I am having a hard time wraping my head around it. It is uncomfortable to hold. Playing Rocket League feels weird as well. I don't know if it because I am used to playing with dualshock and xbox controllers for so long. I have a hard time aiming with my right thumb too.

Is there a better way to hold/use the controller?

We've discussed this quite a few times before. I'm fairly sure the way some people hold it makes it horrible.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=201546354&postcount=6020
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=201549652&postcount=6027
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=201551460&postcount=6031

Parsnip

Unfortunately, the way Durante is holding it in those pics is actually uncomfortable for me. Specifically thumbs.

I haven't found a good comfortable way to hold it so far and it's bumming me out.

Unfortunately, the way Durante is holding it in those pics is actually uncomfortable for me. Specifically thumbs.

I haven't found a good comfortable way to hold it so far and it's bumming me out.

It definitely took some getting used to for me. Maybe it'll never feel good for you, but I know I'm glad I stuck with it. Steam controller continues to be an incredible step forward for PC gamepads.

Durante

That sucks. I refer you to the conclusion I've drawn in that third post linked :/

Sophia

If I hold it the way Durante holds it, I have superior usage of the triggers and shoulder buttons. But the grips are harder to hit. : \

Nabs

That way is uncomfortable for me as well. I keep my index fingers on the triggers, and middle on the grips. I use the grips as action buttons, and leave the bumpers for the less important actions.

My conclusion is that ergonomics are complicated.

^

Nzyme32

If I hold it the way Durante holds it, I have superior usage of the triggers and shoulder buttons. But the grips are harder to hit. : \

That way is uncomfortable for me as well. I keep my index fingers on the triggers, and middle on the grips. I use the grips as action buttons, and leave the bumpers for the less important actions.

Kind of a mix of the two for me. My fingers end up angled to match the triggers and shoulders - but I'm using my index for triggers and have both middle and ring on both grips. Ring fingers are what I'm using for the grips mostly at the lowest corner of the grips, middle at the highest though is mostly there for stability / comforts sake. I just roll my index to hit the shoulders. I only ever use index and middle on both triggers and shoulders for games that force it - eg GTA / Mafia driving and shooting

Parsnip

Ergonomics are indeed complicated.

This might actually work for me as well. I've been trying to have good access to all buttons but it seems like a lost cause with my monster hands. But having good access to most things and workable access to bumpers seems like a compromise I could work with.
A and B seem a bit annoying to push no matter how I hold it though.

Big hand problems.

Unai

This is how I use it and it works really well for me.

0017sy49.jpg

You may have to rehost those picture Unai.

Done.

Oreoleo

Same here, I tried to do separate fingers on bumpers/triggers and it just didn't work out for me. My ring fingers end up below the grips and my pinkies more or less hang free off the bottom of the controller just barely cradling where the handles taper off. I typically use the grips for sprint/crouch/jump etc, the right pad click for use/interact and the bumpers for whatever tertiary thing is left over like activating equipment, flashlights, binoculars, maps, inventory etc.

TheRed

So I've been working on Battlefield 1 configuration and the gameplay is about exactly as good as I can get it but still tweaking.

I have questions about action sets. I've never really used them, I tried to add one that would specifically for interacting with menus using controller settings and another for gameplay based on m/kb, but it seems I can't really do that effectively. I set menu set to be active when mouse cursor is shown and gameplay to be when it's hidden. Thing is the cursor is hidden most of the time in menus too so it wasn't working out how I hoped. Anyone got any tips?

Sophia

Does this happen with anyone else's Steam Controllers? Whenever I hold up on the analog stick, the physical touchpad (functioning as a D-Pad) fails to work right in FFXIV. It kind of goes crazy and registers left and right constantly too. : \

Not really a problem, just weird behavior.

Huh... turns out this was a software issue. Fixed in the latest beta. Was worried my controller was broke, lol.

Sophia

I missed your original post Sophia, but I was definitely having that issue too. Glad to hear it's fixed.

It was driving me mad in FFXIV when I was trying to run and use instant cast stuff too @_@

I'm trying out moving with the trackpads now. Seeing how that works with the analog stick functioning as a D-Pad.

I've had a steam controller for a little over a month now. I bought it specifically for gaming while on a treadmill, as keeping my right hand still enough to use a mouse while walking is pretty much impossible, and it's performed that job admirably. I played essentially all of Mirror's Edge Catalyst with it, getting high ranks in the time trials and everything (and yes, playing first person games on a treadmill can be disorienting, I still catch myself trying to turn in real life a little when I want to turn in the game sometimes).

However, even now I'm still not completely sure how to just hold the thing. My default position and the one that feels more natural is to have my pointer fingers on the bumpers and middle fingers on the triggers, leaving my ring fingers and pinkies to actually grip the controller and control the grip buttons, but this position means I can never have a really solid grip on the controller. The grip buttons don't feel good to press and it's easy to press down a little on the triggers when I try, the bumpers require me to brace my hand a tiny bit against some part of the controller because the ring/pinky grip is pretty weak on its own, and to stop myself from accidentally pressing anything I have to hold the controller a little gingerly at all times.

The alternative, the more "standard" controller holding position, is to just have my pointer fingers on the triggers while all my other fingers grip the controller (save the thumbs, of course). This is more comfortable in general. The grip is much more solid, the grip buttons feel good to press, there's no bracing or gingerness necessary, but there's one massive problem: the bumpers are way too high and way too stiff to use effectively with this position. It's a complete dealbreaker. If this wasn't the case there would be the tiny disadvantage of slightly slower access to the bumpers compared to the other position, but I'd be totally willing to sacrifice that for greater comfort.

I wonder what position the controller was intended for. If it's the one I use, then the basic shape of the controller needs to be revised to allow for better grip. If it's the "standard" one, the bumper and trigger positions need to be completely rethought. Either way, the stiffness of the bumpers is unfortunate, but that's a common complaint from what I've seen. How are you guys holding your steam controllers?

Edit: Whoops, I see this was actually just being discussed. I hold the controller the same way as Durante and UnaiGamer. Do you guys have a solid grip with that position? It never feels perfect for me. The bumpers are really just no good regardless.

Durante

I have a very good hold on it in that position.

I basically found its design, especially the very chunky side parts, quite unfathomable in pictures, but it all became clear to me once I held it. The handles fit into my palms perfectly, and I can comfortably use the grip buttons with my ring fingers.

derFeef

Shadow Warrior is actually more fun for me with the Steam Controller. I always use this thing when using my Xbox One Elite does not work very well (basiscally FPSes), RPGs and adventure games. I still think I could be better with a M+KB combo, but the melee and movement is actually more fluent on a controller, at least for me.

I just wish there would be a workaround for games to not display the keyboard prompts when you use the pad as a mouse.

I have a very good hold on it in that position.

I basically found its design, especially the very chunky side parts, quite unfathomable in pictures, but it all became clear to me once I held it. The handles fit into my palms perfectly, and I can comfortably use the grip buttons with my ring fingers.

A general problem I have is my grip slipping slightly upward when using the triggers and especially the bumpers. The downward pressure from my pointer fingers often has to be compensated with a momentarily harder grip, which is uncomfortable, or my thumbs resting on something, which isn't always possible because of the touchpads. Gripping the controller lower helps with this, but then I can't reach the very tops of the touchpads, and accessing the central buttons requires me to significantly shift my hands. It's possible to get into just the right position to have a good grip and full access to the touchpads, and for me that position seems very similar to yours, but keeping that in the course of intense gameplay requires concentration for me, it isn't quite natural. Are your ring fingers and pinkies pretty much locked together in your position? Not with tension, but pressed together naturally? That's how mine are, and my ring fingers peek out below the bottom of the controller's main body along with my pinkies if I look at the controller straight on when I'm in my "ideal" position.

Also, are you generally holding the controller in your lap while playing? Trying that, I find that the bit of extra pressure from below from my legs actually helps stabilize things a bit, and it lessens the need for compensation when using the shoulder buttons.

Knurek

Are there any problems with using rechargeable AA batteries with SC? I know the battery life is supposed to be great, but still I would prefer not to buy new batteries every once in a while.

Unai

Are there any problems with using rechargeable AA batteries with SC? I know the battery life is supposed to be great, but still I would prefer not to buy new batteries every once in a while.

No problem at all. My eneloops last for dozens of hours in this thing.

Aru

No luck so far, every single rechargeable battery I have doesn't work with it. It either won't turn on or stay on.

Nzyme32

Eneloops here too.

Got the "BQ-CC16" Quick Charger with 4x 1900mAH batteries for £10. Just rotate the 2 batteries every 2 months

CloudNein

My mini-review.

I was going to wait for a revision (I was already predicting my future thoughts before I even bought it) but the thing was on sale. I've used it for about a month and I've spent a lot of time customizing profiles for it so I've got a decent handle on it...speaking of..

It does need an ergonomics redesign. The top bumpers are not intuitive/comfortable to hit and therefore take more effort than they should. The actual height of the bumper is too high, I believe that's a big source for the problem. I try not to map anything that's used with frequency to them.

I feel like it's a well built controller with the exception of the rear grips. Making that plastic one piece makes it creak when alternating rear buttons and impairs the feel of the buttons. I'll cut them some slack since that's a newish feature in gaming controllers. The steam button itself needs to be moved away from the start/select buttons. I've hit them too many times with games that use those buttons often. Too crowded there. I don't mind the ABXY face buttons too much.

Performance wise, in games like RE4 HD I've realized that used with the gyro function, and with lots and lots of sensitivity tweaking it is superior in aiming. I've shot some many more projectiles out of the air in game than I'd ever do with the 360 pad.

This controller takes an insane amount of practice to get used to. I've enjoyed it though and don't regret the purchase. The customizability is off the charts and I'm getting spoiled by it. I'm not going to use it for every game, but for games like RE4 and Alien Iso I'm having a blast using it. It still works well as a backup wireless mouse no matter what, so it'll always have that.

Woo, my Steam Controller just arrived!

Couple of questions:

- what are some good games (with profiles) to start out with? Anyone playing Dark Souls or Deus Ex with it, and if so, what profiles?

- I looked everywhere, and it doesn't seem to include rechargeable batteries. Is that right? What kind of batteries should you use, and is it possible to charge via cable?

Thanks!

deadfolk

- I looked everywhere, and it doesn't seem to include rechargeable batteries. Is that right? What kind of batteries should you use, and is it possible to charge via cable?

No, doesn't include batteries and you cannot use it to charge them. I would just pick up some rechargeables and a charger. People here seem to like the eneloops, but I have no personal experience.

Top Bottom