• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Nzyme32

It's good to know that there's a config waiting for me when I eventually play Mafia III. I used your config (with a few tweaks) for Mafia II, and it was on point. I'm going to get you to use the gyro one of these days, though.

Ah shit, I knew I forgot something. I really liked your edit for Mafia 2. I played the whole thing through with it that way. Will try it on my one tomorrow I think. There were no bindings when I looked which was a shame, but seems that it's always one or two initial binding sets that then get used as bases for other folks to tweak, that eventually leads to a great solution. Downside is the listings by total users don't do a good job of surfacing those as time goes on.

Nabs

Ah shit, I knew I forgot something. I really liked your edit for Mafia 2. I played the whole thing through with it that way. Will try it on my one tomorrow I think. There were no bindings when I looked which was a shame, but seems that it's always one or two initial binding sets that then get used as bases for other folks to tweak, that eventually leads to a great solution. Downside is the listings by total users don't do a good job of surfacing those as time goes on.

It's always a rush to get one of the first ones up, especially before that one person who is just plain crazy gets one up. I noticed that user counts were removed from public configs, I wonder if a change is coming.

Fuck, that layout looks good. Just a shame you cant use analog movement and mouse aiming simultaneously. Used a layout similar to that in mafia 2 but never fully got over using wasd movement with an analog stick. God damnit devs

Oreoleo

I just finished up both Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (2004) and Shogo: Mobile Armor Division (1998) with the Steam Controller. I played both on my TV like they were made for it. This controller has gotten me to play so many older games that I would have either avoided or never bothered to complete. Features like the Radial Menu, Activators, and Gyro are just so clutch.

Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines was so tedious for me with kb+m, forcing myself to play and only going at it 30-45 minutes at a time. It really felt like a slog. Then the SC came out and using it with that game was like night and day. Suddenly I was playing the game practically every day for multiple hours at a time. Being able to kick back with the controller was so much better than (warning: cliche) sitting hunched over the keyboard and seemed to service the style and pacing of the game completely. I can't imagine playing the game any other way.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The Steam Controller need the Steam Overlay, and currently UWP doesn't support the Steam Overlay, so no Steam Controller in Gears of War.

Well, maybe using a desktop configuration could work?
...what

That is awful news. Are we saying the controller won't work period or it won't be configurable? Do I have to plug in my 360 controller? :(

Drain You

I really really wanted to like this controllers. I feel like I didn't give it enough of a chance when I first got it before I switched back to my Xbox One controller. Any suggestions for getting adjusted to it? Think I'm gonna install some older games, my original intentions were to set up a Quake 3 profile.

Oreoleo

I really really wanted to like this controllers. I feel like I didn't give it enough of a chance when I first got it before I switched back to my Xbox One controller. Any suggestions for getting adjusted to it? Think I'm gonna install some older games, my original intentions were to set up a Quake 3 profile.

A really twitch, fast-paced game like that I think is a really bad way to come to grips with the controller as you're constantly going to be feeling like you're artificially handicapping yourself and should be using a mouse instead. It'll *work* but I don't think it would be a particularly pleasant experience. Something you can play more at your own pace will be a better fit, at least until you get comfortable with it.

I played through Quake 2 with the controller and it wasn't the best experience. TBH it made me put the controller down for a few months as I re-evaluated my "let's play *all* the games with this" mentality.

Drain You

A really twitch, fast-paced game like that I think is a really bad way to come to grips with the controller as you're constantly going to be feeling like you're artificially handicapping yourself and should be using a mouse instead. It'll *work* but I don't think it would be a particularly pleasant experience. Something you can play more at your own pace will be a better fit, at least until you get comfortable with it.

I played through Quake 2 with the controller and it wasn't the best experience. TBH it made me put the controller down for a few months as I re-evaluated my "let's play *all* the games with this" mentality.

Yea I think you're right, and thats probably why I ended up putting it down so quickly. I only ever play against bots but still. Maybe ill try Terraria or something.

Oreoleo

YMMV depending on how much you like the game but I thought Half-Life 2 was a perfect training course for the controller. The game very gradually ramps up combat over the first couple hours so you can tweak various settings and figure out what works for you/get a feel for things without being too disadvantaged or getting killed over and over.

Nabs

Definitely start simple. The controller does so much, and it'll be overwhelming if you try to do everything at once. Just keep at it and continue to pick up new stuff as you play through different types of games.

Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines was so tedious for me with kb+m, forcing myself to play and only going at it 30-45 minutes at a time. It really felt like a slog. Then the SC came out and using it with that game was like night and day. Suddenly I was playing the game practically every day for multiple hours at a time. Being able to kick back with the controller was so much better than (warning: cliche) sitting hunched over the keyboard and seemed to service the style and pacing of the game completely. I can't imagine playing the game any other way.

Agreed. It's another game that feels like it was made for this controller.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I just finished up both Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (2004) and Shogo: Mobile Armor Division (1998) with the Steam Controller. I played both on my TV like they were made for it. This controller has gotten me to play so many older games that I would have either avoided or never bothered to complete. Features like the Radial Menu, Activators, and Gyro are just so clutch.

I just started playing VtMB for the first time ever with the latest Unofficial Patch: I'm a console gamer from way back so keen to give this a go on the couch: any configs you guys recommend? The FOV seems like it would suit console style play too, seems about 80 if I'm not mistaken.

Never thought to use my SC for this, now I'm super hyped!!

Oreoleo

I just started playing VtMB for the first time ever with the latest Unofficial Patch: I'm a console gamer from way back so keen to give this a go on the couch: any configs you guys recommend? The FOV seems like it would suit console style play too, seems about 80 if I'm not mistaken.

Never thought to use my SC for this, now I'm super hyped!!

I uploaded the config I used for VtMB to the community. Forget what it's called but it should show my Steam name (Oreoleo) under it. It's from a year ago though so it's a little outdated without employing any activators and might be a little rough around the edges since it was one of my first configs, but it got me through basically the entire game.

Nabs

I went overboard with the new features, but I think the config is pretty tight. I'll clean it up and try to upload it this weekend. I'll make a post here if I do finally get to finishing it.

Nzyme32

I'd agree with others that starting on simpler shooters they have named is a good starting point. As far as FPS goes, my favourite to play is the new Doom. The implementation is spot on imo and is made well to support quick movement, speed, and accuracy. It's probably the step you should take after the more simple games, as Doom utilises low friction trackball spins for both slow tracking movement and super fast turning when required, along with gyro support for fine adjustment or if you just feel better getting aiming done that way. I was playing through it again on Ultra Violence and loved it. Plays brilliantly and close to being as nimble as mouse and keyboard.

Veal

I uploaded the config I used for VtMB to the community. Forget what it's called but it should show my Steam name (Oreoleo) under it. It's from a year ago though so it's a little outdated without employing any activators and might be a little rough around the edges since it was one of my first configs, but it got me through basically the entire game.

Wow! Your config was super legit. I played through the game with it and had a similar experience! I'm actually typing this post from my bed with the steam controller! It's really changed how I view pc gaming along with Japan and the indie scene being onboard.

Grinchy

Banned

I still am nowhere near using this controller for everything, but as time goes on, I appreciate it more and more. This controller definitely does not feel like it's meant to be mass-market at all. It feels very niche.

It takes so much time for an average person to wrap their heads around making their own configurations. Then you're adding that to the time it takes to physically feel comfortable with a trackpad for a mouse under your right thumb, a trackpad under your other thumb that can be clicked for a dpad, a new amount of thumb-stretching to reach the face buttons, oddly-clicky buttons and "triggers", ect.

It's an odd beast. I've had to come back to it a half-dozen times after being frustrated before finally feeling better about it and setting it up on a per-game basis. I know about the user configurations, but they never feel the way I personally want them to feel.

The fact that I can even completely customize a m/kb game to play ~exactly the way I want it to is pretty amazing. It just takes potentially hours of messing around and re-learning the button placements as you edit them on the fly.

Sorcerer

I still am nowhere near using this controller for everything, but as time goes on, I appreciate it more and more. This controller definitely does not feel like it's meant to be mass-market at all. It feels very niche.

It takes so much time for an average person to wrap their heads around making their own configurations. Then you're adding that to the time it takes to physically feel comfortable with a trackpad for a mouse under your right thumb, a trackpad under your other thumb that can be clicked for a dpad, a new amount of thumb-stretching to reach the face buttons, oddly-clicky buttons and "triggers", ect.

It's an odd beast. I've had to come back to it a half-dozen times after being frustrated before finally feeling better about it and setting it up on a per-game basis. I know about the user configurations, but they never feel the way I personally want them to feel.

The fact that I can even completely customize a m/kb game to play ~exactly the way I want it to is pretty amazing. It just takes potentially hours of messing around and re-learning the button placements as you edit them on the fly.

I had been waiting for something like this for years. When I first got the controller, I immediately went for a game with crappy controls and put the controller to the fire and made a config for it to see if the game could be saved. I was able to do it. I immediately understood the controller.
I can't imagine going back to a time when something like this doesn't exist. It opened up the door for pc gaming for me and I will never go back to consoles because I love being able to customize controls exactly how I want them, or simply browsing for something better. Also I like contributing a profile to games. So many games do not have profiles, but If I bothered to play it and can make something worthwhile I will leave behind a profile. Many games only have a single profile made by myself. I even made a profile for Depression Quest.
I remember making a Velvet Assassin profile that relied on the left touchpad (all the others insisted on the analog stick for movement) and it was the most popular config for the game for a while. I felt like a made a contribution and that felt kinda neat.

Keep in mind that if you play certain genres, one profile made for it will generally work most games in that genre with some tweaks. You don't have to re-invent the wheel all time, import a profile from a similar game (one you made or someone elses), tweak it, put your stamp on it and save it.

Rhanitan

I just used my steam controller for the first time playing outlast. Is it normal for slight movements on the track pad to look a little janky when looking around?

ConsoleGAF here with a question: has the Steam Controller fully made you replace your Xbox 360/One controller as your default PC gaming device? Or do you still go back to those sometimes?

For me the Steam controller looks uncomfortable and cheap. I've yet to feel how good aiming feels with that circle sensor instead of a right stick and the lack of a real Dpad is a major bummer especially for 2D sidescrollers. I can't see myself playing, say, Megaman on the Steam Controller's left sensor or left stick.

CondoleGAF here with a question: has the Steam Controller fully made you replace your Xbox 360/One controller as your default PC gaming device? Or do you still go back to those sometimes?

For me the Steam controller looks uncomfortable and cheap. I've yet to feel how good aiming feels with that circle sensor instead of a right stick and the lack of a real Dpad is a major bummer especially for 2D sidescrollers. I can't see myself playing, say, Megaman on the Steam Controller's left sensor or left stick.

I definitely default to the Steam Controller for most games, especially stuff like Civ/Pharaoh/Anything like that obviously. For 2D games I just whip out my arcade stick because why would you ever use anything else for those games. I only use my Dual Shock 3 for games that don't work with the SC for whatever reason.

Using Steam Button + Start (or whatever it's called here) to Alt + Tab in and out of games while on the couch is just bloody amazing and impossible with any other gamepad afaik.

The only reason it is slightly uncomfortable for me is ironically that its too small for my gorilla sized hands.

Lister

Banned
CondoleGAF here with a question: has the Steam Controller fully made you replace your Xbox 360/One controller as your default PC gaming device? Or do you still go back to those sometimes?

It's pretty much replaced it for me. I only keep my Xbox one gamepad around in case I end up with an incompatible game like Forza on the windows store.

In terms of aiming it goes somehting like this:

Mouse + keyboard >>>>>>>> Steam controller >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Right analogue stick.

Oreoleo

I may be in the minority, but once I fully came to terms with the SC after about a month of usage I put the 360 controller away and haven't used it for any PC games since. The lack of a dpad is a real sticking point for some, but I personally don't have any issue using the analog stick for 2D games.

Nzyme32

ConsoleGAF here with a question: has the Steam Controller fully made you replace your Xbox 360/One controller as your default PC gaming device? Or do you still go back to those sometimes?

I replaced all my other controllers (xbox 360 / DS3) with the Steam Controller within a month. At worst, it is adequate for a minority of games needing an arcade stick (fighters), for everything else it is at its best, far superior to the 360 / ds3 pads, approaching Mouse and Keyboard level. It is also the most comfortable controller I have ever used. Downside of the controller is that it is a little too mechanical / noisy and uses materials that don't feel particularly amazing; certainly not a deal breaker though. Also this is the only controller that provides mouse / trackball look and play genres of games other gamepads can't. Also:

In terms of aiming it goes somehting like this:

Mouse + keyboard >>>>>>>> Steam controller >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Right analogue stick.

This is pretty much on point

SC has replaced my xinput controller entirely. Even for 2D platformers and yes I play Gunvolt / Mega Man.

Aiming with the trackpad is objectively miles better than with a joystick and it can be combined with gyro for finer aiming. I can play resident evil 4 with wiimote-like aiming with it, for example.

It does have a learning curve and may need some time to get used to. But the customization options are incredible and allow the controller to be used on games/genres that traditional controllers can never work on. Not to mention Valve keeps adding even more features to it.

JCH!

Completely true.

My SC has been my go-to controller since the day I got it.

I've yet to go back to a traditional dual-analog controller since using the Steam Controller. It's just superior in (nearly) every way. I never want to touch a right analog stick again.

Sophia

It has completely replaced it in every 3D game, but I still use my SNES Controller for 2D games tho.

That being said, the analog stick as a pseudo arcade stick works fine for 2D games.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is there a best recommendation for Vampire TMB bindings? Part of my problem with the controller is that I'm not creative enough to use the customizations in the best possible way and the community ones are not always the best.

Nope, not at all. I'm too accustomed to dual analgoue sticks and I find learning to use the trackpads very tedious when going from keyboard and mouse on PC FPS to dual analogue with Halo on the Xbox had little to no learning curve. But maybe if I hadn't used a kayboard and mouse first I wouldn't have found it as easy. Anyway, I most recently played Stardew Valley on the Steam Controller using whatever the top rated configuration is. It allows all game functions to be carried out but I still have difficulty with it. Then there's making configurations, which I've done to a certain degree but the explanations of what each setting does are a bit tricky to comprehend. However, and this is the big one, it is EXCELLENT for driving games. I seriously don't know why game controllers don't come with gyros as standard now just for driving games. If I can't be bothered getting my wheel out I can still get a level of authenticity of control using the Steam controller.

Nabs

Is there a best recommendation for Vampire TMB bindings? Part of my problem with the controller is that I'm not creative enough to use the customizations in the best possible way and the community ones are not always the best.

I have a good config that I've been meaning to upload for a while now. I guess I'm just afraid that it may be too complicated, or too difficult to explain. I guess I'll give it a try.

coopolon

Ok, going to try the steam controller again. Going back to GTA v. One of these days this thing will click for me.

Going to try to figure out what I don't like and fix it instead of just reverting to kB/m or dual analogue.

Any recommendations for best starting gtav profile?

Oreoleo

Ok, going to try the steam controller again. Going back to GTA v. One of these days this thing will click for me.

Going to try to figure out what I don't like and fix it instead of just reverting to kB/m or dual analogue.

Any recommendations for best starting gtav profile?

I posted about this a few days ago but the game works flawlessly with mouse on right pad and the rest as a gamepad IF you put a keyboard key for sprint on one of the back paddles. Trying to sprint with a gamepad button while looking around with mouse causes a weird stutter step but if you are sprinting with a keyboard key the stutter step is completely eliminated.

coopolon

I posted about this a few days ago but the game works flawlessly with mouse on right pad and the rest as a gamepad IF you put a keyboard key for sprint on one of the back paddles. Trying to sprint with a gamepad button while looking around with mouse causes a weird stutter step but if you are sprinting with a keyboard key the stutter step is completely eliminated.

Thanks, just saw your post. The default is mouse joystick on right pad but you played it with just mouse and it didn't have any problems?

Mixed inputs wasn't working great for me in Quantum Break, but I think I've now configured it great with pure KBaM. Adding an inner-ring double binding on the stick feels great, and is nearly as good as actual analog input.

Oreoleo

Thanks, just saw your post. The default is mouse joystick on right pad but you played it with just mouse and it didn't have any problems?

Aside from the mentioned sprint interaction yeah it's totally fine. I guess one thing is selecting radio stations with the mouse can be a little finicky but obviously that's not super crucial to gameplay so taking an extra half second to dial in the right station from the radial menu is barely worth mentioning.

Nabs

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Config: Radial Menu, Activators, and Action Sets. (Uploading Now)

Instructions:

1) Open the Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines folder in your Steam directory and create a folder called 'touchmenuicons'. Download, and extract these images to that folder.

2) Once in game, change the Secondary Attack button (Tab) to P. This will prevent the overlay from popping up while walking and blocking.

A quick breakdown of the config:

The Default Set

There is a Radial Menu on the Left Touchpad for selecting weapons, armor, and conversation choices (1-4). These will activate once you touch the pad. Keep your finger on a selection to scroll through your weapons/armor. If you'd like the radial menu to remain on the screen, just tap the Left Grip once.

The analog stick is set up so you walk when you gently push it, and run when you push it all the way. Click in the stick to toggle Crouch.

Face Buttons: Toggle FPS/TPS by pressing Y, Feed by pressing X, Reload by pressing B, Holster by holding down B, and Jump by pressing A.

The Right Touchpad and Gyro are set for aiming. Click the touchpad to interact with people and things (E).

Right Grip will cycle through your Disciplines. Left Trigger will use your Discipline, and Left Bumper will cancel it. The Right Trigger is your primary Attack, Right Bumper is Secondary Attack (Block/Scope).

Open your Character Sheet by pressing the Back Button. Hold the Back Button to Quick Save.

The Menu Set

This will activate when a mouse cursor is present. If you ever find yourself stuck on the wrong action set, just press A to return to the default one.

Optional: Cycle through Character, Info, and Quest Log pages by pressing Right Grip. Cycle your Quest Tabs by pressing Right Bumper. You can also use Left Bumper to cycle through your Inventory.

The Computer Set

Double Tap Left Grip to switch to this set. It'll give you two Touch Menus: the left one will help you navigate, and the right one will help you type things or bring up the keyboard. I also set up shortcuts for words like Email, List, and Quit.

-----
I wasn't able to bounce this config off of any others, so please let me know if there are any issues. I hope it isn't too complicated. Thanks to Theodore the Soup Dragon for his config that served as a base.

Nzyme32

Its been a very long time since I played a fighting game with the Steam Controller. I used the setup I had when I finished MK9, which was using the dpad on click with a small deadzone, to play MK X and I hated it, for some reason I couldn't do anything well - but the same was true for the analogue stick

So, went to training mode to work out what might work and also saw the top binding was using analogue mode on touch for the left pad. I didn't quite like that, but it turns out dpad on touch, with a smaller deadzone than normal, with some practice, is pretty good. Got a decent way through the story mode, and will keep messing with it. It certainly is very different, but once I had it click and could do combos and special moves quickly and repeatedly, playing became straight forward. Took about an hour and a half for it to click

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Config: Radial Menu, Activators, and Action Sets. (Uploading Now)

Instructions:

1) Open the Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines folder in your Steam directory and create a folder called 'touchmenuicons'. Download, and extract these images to that folder.

2) Once in game, change the Secondary Attack button (Tab) to P. This will prevent the overlay from popping up while walking and blocking.

A quick breakdown of the config:

The Default Set

There is a Radial Menu on the Left Touchpad for selecting weapons, armor, and conversation choices (1-4). These will activate once you touch the pad. Keep your finger on a selection to scroll through your weapons/armor. If you'd like the radial menu to remain on the screen, just tap the Left Grip once.

The analog stick is set up so you walk when you gently push it, and run when you push it all the way. Click in the stick to toggle Crouch.

Face Buttons: Toggle FPS/TPS by pressing Y, Feed by pressing X, Reload by pressing B, Holster by holding down B, and Jump by pressing A.

The Right Touchpad and Gyro are set for aiming. Click the touchpad to interact with people and things (E).

Right Grip will cycle through your Disciplines. Left Trigger will use your Discipline, and Left Bumper will cancel it. The Right Trigger is your primary Attack, Right Bumper is Secondary Attack (Block/Scope).

Open your Character Sheet by pressing the Back Button. Hold the Back Button to Quick Save.

The Menu Set

This will activate when a mouse cursor is present. If you ever find yourself stuck on the wrong action set, just press A to return to the default one.

Optional: Cycle through Character, Info, and Quest Log pages by pressing Right Grip. Cycle your Quest Tabs by pressing Right Bumper. You can also use Left Bumper to cycle through your Inventory.

The Computer Set

Double Tap Left Grip to switch to this set. It'll give you two Touch Menus: the left one will help you navigate, and the right one will help you type things or bring up the keyboard. I also set up shortcuts for words like Email, List, and Quit.

-----
I wasn't able to bounce this config off of any others, so please let me know if there are any issues. I hope it isn't too complicated. Thanks to Theodore the Soup Dragon for his config that served as a base.

Sounds good, I've been meaning to play this for a long time.

The right pad still feels FAR better than any analog stick, whether configured to act like a mouse or a trackpad. Not even close. Plus you're not considering what gyro aiming in addition brings to the table.

I have no problem playing 2D games like Mega Man with the left pad. People are playing stuff like Super Meat Boy with it just fine.

Nzyme32

FUCK

The 60fps Mafia update - amazingly - has left the broken gamepad binding section, but both changed the keyboard mapping operations and changed the keys around

I now have to redo the bindings! Or at least for using vehicles which is no longer a separate key to use

Sorcerer

I know this is not possible, but I wish there were a way to lock the touchpads when using strictly touch.
During a fighting game or a game that is somewhat frantic, I find myself clicking the pads even if they are set to touch.

Hey!

Just saw this thread and thought I'd chime in on something -- I'm giving a talk about the Steam Controller at Steam Dev Days next week, and I figured this might be a good place to get some input about what sort of questions people have or any feedback they want to pass along to Valve (note: I am not a Valve employee).

This talk is geared towards developers who want to take advantage of native steam controller support via the official API, but I'll pass along any general feedback to Valve, and I'd like to get a general sense of what the community needs from the Steam Controller.

Top Bottom