• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Soodanim

ConsoleGAF here with a question: has the Steam Controller fully made you replace your Xbox 360/One controller as your default PC gaming device? Or do you still go back to those sometimes?

For me the Steam controller looks uncomfortable and cheap. I've yet to feel how good aiming feels with that circle sensor instead of a right stick and the lack of a real Dpad is a major bummer especially for 2D sidescrollers. I can't see myself playing, say, Megaman on the Steam Controller's left sensor or left stick.
Absolutely not. SC undoubtedly has a place, and I recently posted about how good Aragami feels with my custom bindings, but like you say anything that involves d-pad use is atrocious on the SC and I go straight back to my DS4.

To give a little context to this next point, I looked into custom paddle controller and even bought an Xbone Elite. I love the concept, and it's super useful to not claw grip in Dark Souls. But ultimately hated it, and got rid of it after a week. Even with the Steam Controller the button placements aren't optimal and it affects the experience. I actually play Dark Souls games with a DS4 after all that.

SC shines when you can make use of bumpers, triggers, touch pads and grips for almost everything. If you're using buttons a lot? Forget it. I don't have small hands but it's still inferior to a normal controller. Another use case I find it's interior for is right stick emulated games. That mode is absolutely awful but it's sometimes necessary as everything else is worse. You have to do things only the Steam Controller can for it to be worth it, otherwise it's a poor imitation of better controllers.

P.S. Don't be like me and take forever to see the beauty in gyro aiming. Let it activate only when you touch the right pad and soon you'll love it.

Hey!

Just saw this thread and thought I'd chime in on something -- I'm giving a talk about the Steam Controller at Steam Dev Days next week, and I figured this might be a good place to get some input about what sort of questions people have or any feedback they want to pass along to Valve (note: I am not a Valve employee).

This talk is geared towards developers who want to take advantage of native steam controller support via the official API, but I'll pass along any general feedback to Valve, and I'd like to get a general sense of what the community needs from the Steam Controller.
I don't have anything right now but this is good, I hope everyone sees this!

Edit: actually I do.
Forgive me if I have missed it all getting sorted (didn't touch the SC for a while), but what's with the incomplete UI? It's hard to argue with the features that are added as a good use of time, but there are some descriptions that are just variable names. Also, drop down menus at the bottom almost always end up being obscured by another UI element.

Something I would like to see is easier access to haptic settings. Individual input settings are nice and give power to the user, but as someone who invariably turns them off every time it made a somewhat tedious task even worse when activators appeared and I had to delve even farther into settings for each input to disable haptic feedback. I'd like to see an option within individual configs to disable all haptic feedback in that config. Or perhaps smaller range batch settings that handled just triggers or left touch pad, for example.

Sophia

Hey!

Just saw this thread and thought I'd chime in on something -- I'm giving a talk about the Steam Controller at Steam Dev Days next week, and I figured this might be a good place to get some input about what sort of questions people have or any feedback they want to pass along to Valve (note: I am not a Valve employee).

This talk is geared towards developers who want to take advantage of native steam controller support via the official API, but I'll pass along any general feedback to Valve, and I'd like to get a general sense of what the community needs from the Steam Controller.

One thing I'd really like to know is what their plans are for expanding the controller functionality beyond Big Picture Mode. Right now we're tethered to the BPM Overlay for full functionality, even if we don't need to go directly into BPM itself to use it anymore. I myself would very much prefer a standard interface instead of a controller favored one for configuring it, and others would prefer standalone configuration software separate from Steam entirely.

@Sophia: cool! So a way to configure it in standard steam without having to launch into BPM? Like, would the current config interface in Keyboard/Mouse mode in a floating steam client window work for you?

Nzyme32

Mafia 3 bindings have been fixed and the old one removed - a whole bunch of key bindings were switched around. I think I got them all!

I know this is not possible, but I wish there were a way to lock the touchpads when using strictly touch.
During a fighting game or a game that is somewhat frantic, I find myself clicking the pads even if they are set to touch.

Exactly the same! I'm really surprised that it works though. I tried on touch with MK9 but ended up more comfortable using on click, and finished the whole game like that. Now I'm the other way round. Spending that time in practice mode was really weird because it was a very sudden "click" of "oh I can do it" with the on touch setting.

Foxyone

ConsoleGAF here with a question: has the Steam Controller fully made you replace your Xbox 360/One controller as your default PC gaming device? Or do you still go back to those sometimes?

For me the Steam controller looks uncomfortable and cheap. I've yet to feel how good aiming feels with that circle sensor instead of a right stick and the lack of a real Dpad is a major bummer especially for 2D sidescrollers. I can't see myself playing, say, Megaman on the Steam Controller's left sensor or left stick.

I'm a bit of an overzealous SC user, but I guess it does feel a bit "cheap" or "hollow", and it tends to be loud with its clicks. Best used with headphones, imo, but people within earshot / on Skype or something could still be annoyed by it.

That being said, I use it for most of my gaming these days because it does plenty of things better than a regular controller and has tons of versatility. Also, the gyro is one of the major differing factors, because it can make games that require mouse movement much more playable. I've played a few basic side scrollers and didn't mind using the joystick, but I suppose many would probably prefer a proper-dpad.

I've also completely stopped playing some games with m+kb (even at my desk) because I prefer the controller. Not sure if I'll go back to m+kb in World of Warcraft any time soon; the controller is just too darn good, even for raiding.

Hey!

If they aren't already working on it, they need to get a proper community config system with ratings so that anyone picking up the controller for the first time can have a decent config option when they first play a game. There's been quite a few instances I've read of people hating the controller quite quickly after trying a game with some generic template config, and the frustration drives them away.

Also, they gotta pimp out the gyro some more because even recently I have seen videos with controller cams where people aren't making use of the gyro in games that would greatly benefit.

Maybe they could show some exceptional uses of the controller's abilities, whether it be people accomplishing feats that one would have only expected a m+kb capable of doing, or instances where this controller can go beyond even what m+kb or another gamepad could do in a game (like using mouse regions and action sets to make a working console-like menu system that snaps between menu options and links to new ones in different menus; a m+kb can't do that).

Basically, they should do more to try to show people why they should get a Steam controller for their PC by showing examples of how it can potentially trade blows with m+kb as an input method, or in some other cases, surpass it.

Also, a more quiet V2 of the controller would be great, if they haven't heard that one enough. If that's not too much feedback :p

I got one of these not quite a month ago and I was really really surprised at how good it was for the price (I did get it on sale though), but now I'm pretty disappointed that some of the games I really want to play with it crash a lot when I try to use it with them. Namely Terraria and GTAV.
It's good that it's not quite completely tied to Big Picture now, but it'd be nice if they completely disconnected it from it. Took some learning to get a setup for DkS3 going, though it still feels like I am doing more "work" to play it using the SteamRoller.

Even though it's not my favorite game, GTAV plays PERFECTLY with this thing, like it was made for it. Unfortunately, crashing.
Surprisingly, TOXIKK (arena fps like UT) works really really well, too, at least, it feels super comfy. Just, I can't aim well enough yet with it, and as much as I like and appreciate it, I can't learn to use Splatoon style aiming. Still many times better than trying to aim with a damn thumbstick.

Oh yeah, the shoulder bumpers, grip buttons, and trackpad buttons are super stiff. They should change that in the next revision. and add an actual D-pad instead of a thumb stick! (though, that was another thing I was surprised by, the trackpad is a decent d-pad. just way too stiff.)

The gyros are amazingly accurate. It's like using IR pointing without the IR, if you set the sensitivity properly. Haven't found a good use for it yet, though.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I uploaded the config I used for VtMB to the community. Forget what it's called but it should show my Steam name (Oreoleo) under it. It's from a year ago though so it's a little outdated without employing any activators and might be a little rough around the edges since it was one of my first configs, but it got me through basically the entire game.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Config: Radial Menu, Activators, and Action Sets. (Uploading Now)

Instructions:

1) Open the Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines folder in your Steam directory and create a folder called 'touchmenuicons'. Download, and extract these images to that folder.

2) Once in game, change the Secondary Attack button (Tab) to P. This will prevent the overlay from popping up while walking and blocking.

A quick breakdown of the config:

The Default Set

There is a Radial Menu on the Left Touchpad for selecting weapons, armor, and conversation choices (1-4). These will activate once you touch the pad. Keep your finger on a selection to scroll through your weapons/armor. If you'd like the radial menu to remain on the screen, just tap the Left Grip once.

The analog stick is set up so you walk when you gently push it, and run when you push it all the way. Click in the stick to toggle Crouch.

Face Buttons: Toggle FPS/TPS by pressing Y, Feed by pressing X, Reload by pressing B, Holster by holding down B, and Jump by pressing A.

The Right Touchpad and Gyro are set for aiming. Click the touchpad to interact with people and things (E).

Right Grip will cycle through your Disciplines. Left Trigger will use your Discipline, and Left Bumper will cancel it. The Right Trigger is your primary Attack, Right Bumper is Secondary Attack (Block/Scope).

Open your Character Sheet by pressing the Back Button. Hold the Back Button to Quick Save.

The Menu Set

This will activate when a mouse cursor is present. If you ever find yourself stuck on the wrong action set, just press A to return to the default one.

Optional: Cycle through Character, Info, and Quest Log pages by pressing Right Grip. Cycle your Quest Tabs by pressing Right Bumper. You can also use Left Bumper to cycle through your Inventory.

The Computer Set

Double Tap Left Grip to switch to this set. It'll give you two Touch Menus: the left one will help you navigate, and the right one will help you type things or bring up the keyboard. I also set up shortcuts for words like Email, List, and Quit.

-----
I wasn't able to bounce this config off of any others, so please let me know if there are any issues. I hope it isn't too complicated. Thanks to Theodore the Soup Dragon for his config that served as a base.

You guys are amazing!!

I'll tryout both and give you feedback, that's some awesome depth you've got there on the icons and button configs too Nabs, what a brilliant SC community in here! :)

Sophia

@Sophia: cool! So a way to configure it in standard steam without having to launch into BPM? Like, would the current config interface in Keyboard/Mouse mode in a floating steam client window work for you?

Well, kind of. Basically the setup we have right now doesn't require us to go all the way into Big Picture Mode. But clicking "Edit Steam Controller Configuration" for a game stills pulls up a BPM-designed window, instead of a more native Steam/Windows like interface with proper mouse controls. Likewise, if the controller is on, the BPM overlay is used when launching a game regardless of where you launched it from, and the BPM overlay is notoriously finicky and prone to crashing.

Basically, what I'd like to see is divorced entirely from the BPM UI. Instead of seeing this mess to configure the controller, I'd like a more keyboard and mouse friendly setup.

Edgeward

Are they ever gonna have it so you can use the touch menu stuff without BPM? I can't use BPM because it's a really big strain on the CPU and it causes games to crash after an hour of playing. Or they could just make BPM not suck

Some good feedback here! Please keep it coming, I will pass all of this along. Since I'm not a Valve employee myself I can't really give answer on the spot right now to a lot of these questions, but I hope to see them answered eventually.

Some good feedback here! Please keep it coming, I will pass all of this along. Since I'm not a Valve employee myself I can't really give answer on the spot right now to a lot of these questions, but I hope to see them answered eventually.
Not really questions, but feedback. My concern is with getting more support from third party developers. I feel Valve needs to do more to promote the use of this controller. I feel every new game from major publishers should have Official Steam Controller presets that uses the full potential of the controller.

Also disappointed that this controller is tethered to Steam and BPM. I would love this controller to be stand alone so I can use every function available in ALL PC games without the need to add the game to Steam.

Sophia

FYI this can be disabled in Steam's settings under the "In-Game" tab.

Yes, but then you lose out on functionality that requires the BPM overlay such as touch menus. Also you have to alt-tab out to configure the controller.

Not really an acceptable compromise. : \

Foxyone

Is there a proper way to handle an outer edge binding with a function that toggles on/off normally? For instance, in World of Warcraft you normally run all the time with WASD, but pressing a walk key toggles on walk until you hit the key again. Is there a way to set things up so that slight joystick movements walk whilst big ones run consistently without movement speed just getting stuck on one or the other? Not sure if I'm overlooking something really simple.

Regardless, it'd be nice if Valve could add an option or two when it comes to outer ring bindings to make it easier to set up different speeds of movement, such as an option that takes into account whether the function in-game is a toggled function or hold to activate.

Also, a deadzone setting for the radial menu wouldn't hurt for the middle button to take up more space. The right pad usually has my "Use / Interact" so I can be using using the pad and gyro whilst using that function, and it would be nice to have a radial menu with a big "Use" button in the middle the rest of the radial menu options pushed out further around it.

Yep, it has. It's not at all uncomfortable, it's just meant to be held differently than other controllers. The trackpad takes some getting used to because 1) Valve's defaults for it aren't good and 2) you're going to get a slew of opinions on how to configure it when you ask, but with the right settings there is a huge gap between aiming with the trackpad and aiming with an analog stick. It's incomparable.

The lack of d-pad is fine, honestly. There's a digital mode that you can set the analog stick to, which makes using it pretty tolerable through haptic feedback. I don't blame you if the sound of it leaves you a bit skeptical, but it feels great for 2D games when you set the deadzone and the haptics to a high value. Almost like an arcade stick, minus the immediate snapping, but it still works really well.

Unai

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Config: Radial Menu, Activators, and Action Sets. (Uploading Now)

Saved for the future, thanks!

Is there a proper way to handle an outer edge binding with a function that toggles on/off normally? For instance, in World of Warcraft you normally run all the time with WASD, but pressing a walk key toggles on walk until you hit the key again. Is there a way to set things up so that slight joystick movements walk whilst big ones run consistently without movement speed just getting stuck on one or the other? Not sure if I'm overlooking something really simple.

That would have being very useful in Bioshock.

Hey!

Big Picture is crashing all the time for me... so I guess I want them to either fix BPM or decouple the controller from it.

Lork

Big Picture is crashing all the time for me... so I guess I want them to either fix BPM or decouple the controller from it.
Yeah, there are a lot of things I'd like to see from the controller that they're not delivering yet, but this is the thing that it needs the most. Big Picture is such a miserable goddamn disaster, the Steam Controller needs to be free of it. Even when it's not glitching out or crashing, the awful interface gets in the way constantly.

Nzyme32

Hey!

Most of the issues I have are software based. BPM is unstable at best, crashing now and then or failing to register buttons since the overlay hasn't properly engaged or a mode switch hasn't worked correctly. Developers are failing to allow simultaneous mouse and gamepad, which would solve so much and prevent laborious workarounds in terms of making a keyboard and mouse binding set and a mode switch to gamepad only, that then leads to sync issues where you end up in the wrong mode since the game had a cutscene or something. There are few developers that actually use the native controller API as far as I can tell, which would make binding easier to customise beyond what a dev offers. Also more BPM issues in the form of mouse control being inconsistent and sometimes failing, and importantly, the browser being a complete shambles. Some pages fail to scroll past a certain point when they shouldn't, youtube videos and other element fail to select the appropriate buttons the mouse is over leading to a random function being stuck, sometimes the browser refuses to respond to any input or clicks etc etc

If going beyond the current controller - a couple of extra grip buttons on a new controller wouldn't go a miss, along with much less noise and clicking as well as better materials.

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

I'm happy to say that some of the points brought up here (can't reveal which ones yet) will be directly addressed in the talk. Stuff that isn't going to be addressed in the talk I will make sure Valve hears about.

One thing I can say is that the talk focuses squarely on getting developers to do a good job of native integration with the controller API and I am going to do my best to make the case for why devs should go to the trouble, what the benefits are, and also clarifying what's required so that it isn't just some dry API docs to go off of. Valve will also have a section of the talk where they go over some things they want to announce, etc.

Lork

I might be alone on this but I think other than a more complete decoupling from Big Picture, my ultimate dream feature would be some kind of user facing scripting language for making controller configurations. There are so many frustrating limitations to the configuration interface that prevent me from making the configs I want. I'm constantly thinking "If only I could do x", where x is some simple modifier or button layout that the interface doesn't allow for, often arbitrarily. It makes me wish I could just dig into the guts (relatively speaking) and define what each button does, and when, through code.

It's unfortunately something they probably wouldn't even consider, as it wouldn't be accessible to most people. But of course if they had a functional system for rating and sharing configurations then everybody could benefit even if only a few used the feature directly.

Nzyme32

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

I'm happy to say that some of the points brought up here (can't reveal which ones yet) will be directly addressed in the talk. Stuff that isn't going to be addressed in the talk I will make sure Valve hears about.

One thing I can say is that the talk focuses squarely on getting developers to do a good job of native integration with the controller API and I am going to do my best to make the case for why devs should go to the trouble, what the benefits are, and also clarifying what's required so that it isn't just some dry API docs to go off of. Valve will also have a section of the talk where they go over some things they want to announce, etc.

Thanks for keep us informed and good luck with the talk and fun at dev days!

I might be alone on this but I think other than a more complete decoupling from Big Picture, my ultimate dream feature would be some kind of user facing scripting language for making controller configurations. There are so many frustrating limitations to the configuration interface that prevent me from making the configs I want. I'm constantly thinking "If only I could do x", where x is some simple modifier or button layout that the interface doesn't allow for, often arbitrarily. It makes me wish I could just dig into the guts (relatively speaking) and define what each button does, and when, through code.

It's unfortunately something they probably wouldn't even consider, as it wouldn't be accessible to most people. But of course if they had a functional system for rating and sharing configurations then everybody could benefit even if only a few used the feature directly.

Yeah that's a point, better control of the controller and making / adjusting bindings for the desktop are sorely needed. Also some extra way to map bindings wouldn't go a miss. It's so frustrating to have to do some trial and error for a new game you have never played before, and thus can't possible be sure if what you make is right till later. There will be scenarios where I want to move everything mapped to one buton or pad to a different one - which you can't do; or I want to move touch menu / other details from one line to another, are reorganise the order of them - which you can't do either.

That's certainly an exotic request, but I'll pass it along for sure!

My two biggest desires are to see it free of Steam (so I don't have to launch a game through Steam just to take full advantage of it) - happy to even have a specific service running for it, and on the flipside, to have some sort of addition or option in lizard mode just so it can act like a 'normal controller' (pretty much just emulate an Xbox controller), but I think they've said they'll never do that.

Oh and as I've probably mentioned before, for different startup tunes to be associated with different paired devices (I have mine paired with PC and Steam Link and constantly forget which it's currently using).

... and it feels a bit cheap at times (I can feel some of the buttons becoming loose in about 10-11 months of use), and the shape could be better, and the 'rumble' needs some work, and it's annoyingly loud sometimes.

Lork

Yeah that's a point, better control of the controller and making / adjusting bindings for the desktop are sorely needed. Also some extra way to map bindings wouldn't go a miss. It's so frustrating to have to do some trial and error for a new game you have never played before, and thus can't possible be sure if what you make is right till later. There will be scenarios where I want to move everything mapped to one buton or pad to a different one - which you can't do; or I want to move touch menu / other details from one line to another, are reorganise the order of them - which you can't do either.
To be clear, when I say "limitations" I'm not talking about usability features to make configuring the controller more convenient, though the lack of those is definitely an issue. I mean that there are ideas I have for control schemes that are literally impossible to implement for no reason other than that it didn't occur to anyone at Valve that someone might want to configure the controller in that way, or they didn't want to undertake the task of making a widget for it in their UI.

Ideally they could find a way to cover all the possibilities of what anyone might want in a user friendly way with their configuration tool, but I just don't think that's ever going to happen.

I sliced my knuckles open today in a work accident. Console port for World of Warcraft has not hurt my DPS at all. Goddamn thing just took an hour or two to setup properly. Also right click and targeting it is weird.

wzk7Jry.jpg

Foxyone

I sliced my knuckles open today in a work accident. Console port for World of Warcraft has not hurt my DPS at all. Goddamn thing just took an hour or two to setup properly. Also right click and targeting it is weird.

wzk7Jry.jpg

Hope your knuckles get better soon. I still sit at my desk for WoW, but you could make the full jump to controller like I did : p I don't use Consoleport, but every class type / role has worked well for me so far. I think I'm a better (raid) healer with the controller lol.

Parshias7

Does anyone have experience getting the Steam Controller working with PCSX2? Particularly with the analog stick. I followed a guide I found on youtube and got everything mostly working, but the Analog stick is set up like a d-pad with the analog emulation setting on and... it leaves something to be desired. Turning is not smooth at all. Is there some other setting I should try?

Nabs

The time I did try it, I just used the Lilypad plugin that comes with PCSX2 and it worked fine with the regular gamepad SC config. I think.

Parshias7

Well I got it working... although the way it works now is a little confusing to me.

If I run PCSX2 on its own, the analog control is really choppy when I'm turning.
If I run PCSX2 from a shortcut inside of Steam Big Picture Mode, the analog control is fine.

If I run PCSX2 on its own, all my button shortcuts work fine, with the "Start" button (the right arrow) mapped to Start within the emulator. (I've mapped the button to 7 on the keyboard)
If I run PCSX2 inside Big Picture Mode... that button is hard-locked onto Escape so I can't touch it without closing the game. None of the other button shortcuts have been changed as far as I can tell.

So I can get the games to run fine within Big Picture Mode, but I can't really use it to stream to my TV since I need to be near a keyboard anytime I need to push the Start button since it doesn't work with the controller for some reason. I might try mapping the start button to the back of the controller or something.

Lork

I just loaded up PCSX2 with a gamepad config and it worked without any need for additional setup.

Where are you setting up your controller config for PCSX2, and why are you binding things like start to keyboard buttons? You're emulating a gamepad, so you might as well make the controller act like one for simplicity's sake if nothing else.

Parshias7

I just loaded up PCSX2 with a gamepad config and it worked without any need for additional setup.

Where are you setting up your controller config for PCSX2, and why are you binding things like start to keyboard buttons? You're emulating a gamepad, so you might as well make the controller act like one for simplicity's sake if nothing else.

I was just following some youtube guide. First I set up the keybinds in the Steam Controller menu, then opened up PCSX2 and made sure all the keys I set on the controller itself mapped where I wanted them to inside of the emulator.

This was the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elp3oGY7FBE

Lork

I was just following some youtube guide. First I set up the keybinds in the Steam Controller menu, then opened up PCSX2 and made sure all the keys I set on the controller itself mapped where I wanted them to inside of the emulator.

This was the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elp3oGY7FBE
Yeah don't bother with that. In the profile for the shortcut you're using to launch PCSX2 through Steam, switch to either the Gamepad or Gamepad w/ Camera Control template depending on whether the game you're going to emulate uses the right stick for camera control or not, and go.

Parshias7

Yeah don't bother with that. In the profile for the shortcut you're using to launch PCSX2 through Steam, switch to either the Gamepad or Gamepad w/ Camera Control template depending on whether the game you're going to emulate uses the right stick for camera control or not, and go.

I don't see where to do that. I can't even seem to access any of the templates because I click on one of them in the browse menu and then it just brings me back to my modified set-up like nothing happened.

Lork

The only thing I can think of is that Big Picture's shitty interface might not be selecting the templates properly when you mouse over them and thinks you're clicking on the back button or something. Try using the controller to pick a template.

When you say you don't see where to do that, are you referring to your issue selecting a template or something else?

Parshias7

The only thing I can think of is that Big Picture's shitty interface might not be selecting the templates properly when you mouse over them and thinks you're clicking on the back button or something. Try using the controller to pick a template.

When you say you don't see where to do that, are you referring to your issue selecting a template or something else?

I managed to get the template to open up using the controller, but I don't know if it is working or not. My PCSX2 set-up is now totally gone from the Configuration screen, but still works whenever I open up PCSX2 through Steam, i.e. the Start button will close the emulator whenever I'm in game.

When I open the properties of my shortcut I can see where to set launch options but I have no idea how to force it to set to a particular controller template or anything.

Lork

Where are you going to get to this configuration screen you're talking about? You're not manually changing the desktop config every time you play a different game, are you? All configurations should be per-game with the exception of a few very specific, uncooperative games.

To access the config for any game you can right click on it in your library while the controller is turned on and click on "edit controller configuration", or go to Manage Game -> Controller Configuration for that game in Big Picture mode, or go to "Controller configuration" from the Big Picture mode overlay while ingame (press the Steam Button in the middle of the controller or Shift-Tab on the keyboard).

Parshias7

Where are you going to get to this configuration screen you're talking about? You're not manually changing the desktop config every time you play a different game, are you? All configurations should be per-game with the exception of a few very specific, uncooperative games.

To access the config for any game you can right click on it in your library while the controller is turned on and click on "edit controller configuration", or go to Manage Game -> Controller Configuration for that game in Big Picture mode, or go to "Controller configuration" from the Big Picture mode overlay while ingame (press the Steam Button in the middle of the controller or Shift-Tab on the keyboard).

OK, I see how to do that, but then how do I get the emulator to notice any of this is happening? I switch the controller to the gamepad template but now it doesn't do anything at all.

Lork

OK, I see how to do that, but then how do I get the emulator to notice any of this is happening? I switch the controller to the gamepad template but now it doesn't do anything at all.
It looks like there's an issue binding the controls in lilypad because the profile doesn't unless you're actually in the game. I didn't notice because I already had them configured from before, sorry about that. You'd think that they'd have it set up to work with a 360 controller by default, but I guess not... how silly.

You could switch the controller plugin to XPad which should "just work", or try my lilypad profile.

Parshias7

It looks like there's an issue binding the controls in lilypad because the profile doesn't unless you're actually in the game. I didn't notice because I already had them configured from before, sorry about that. You'd think that they'd have it set up to work with a 360 controller by default, but I guess not... how silly.

You could switch the controller plugin to XPad which should "just work", or try my lilypad profile.

There were some XInput settings in there initially I cleared out when I was setting up the keyboard stuff, but I went in and re-calibrated everything with the Gamepad template and now everything works fine, although I should probably test it out on a game where the second analog is actually used. Thanks for the help.

Nabs

pantsattack mentioned it in the Steam Thread, but Slime Rancher has good native support. Worth checking out if you picked up the latest Humble Monthly.

Hey!

It would be nice if store pages had more info on Steam Controller support. Something for games with native support, or even games where mouse+gamepad works okay together.

Nzyme32

It would be nice if store pages had more info on Steam Controller support. Something for games with native support, or even games where mouse+gamepad works okay together.

pantsattack mentioned it in the Steam Thread, but Slime Rancher has good native support. Worth checking out if you picked up the latest Humble Monthly.

Yeah, making this more clear would be helpful

Sophia

Does this happen with anyone else's Steam Controllers? Whenever I hold up on the analog stick, the physical touchpad (functioning as a D-Pad) fails to work right in FFXIV. It kind of goes crazy and registers left and right constantly too. : \

Not really a problem, just weird behavior.

Nabs

Steam Dev Days: Steam Controller by Lars Doucet

Nearing 1M sold, Valve incentivizes Steam Controller support

Valve is also looking at ways to improve discoverability of games that work well with the Steam Controller.

"Now that there is a significant installed base of controller users we are working on ways to promote games that they may be interested in," he said. "One of the more direct methods is to present customers with a 'most popular with Steam Controller' games list. Titles on this list will be easily discoverable for both new purchasers as well as existing customers. We will also continue to run focused sales that highlight hand-picked controller-friendly titles."

Exuro

Soon we will be shipping an update that adds full configurability to controllers other than the Steam Controller. This means that players can pair their PS4 controller directly to their PC and use all the configurability options available to the Steam Controller, including use of the PS4 touchpad and gyro.
Not directly Steam controller related but this is awesome. Having a single api spread for several controllers is great. Wonder if this will include the button prompts of each supported controller.

edit: Whoo it does!
The on screen icons for action prompts should match the physical controls on your device. If it says “push A,” my device should have an “A” button that does the thing when I push it.
devdays2016_50.jpg

atr0cious

If they're going this route with the ds4, eventually you should be able to make a profile no matter the controller, and then have the ability to edit it for what ever controller you have.

Sophia

Third party API support could be incredibly useful for getting the DS4 to work in games that only support Xinput, without having to use solutions like DS4Windows and InputMapper.

So after the announcement made at Steam Dev Days, I'm curious; are there any Steam Controller users here who are considering dropping the device over the upcoming DS4 support? If so, why? What aspects of both controllers caused you to consider? Not asking this because I'm thinking about it; the Steam Controller does things other controllers cant, and I'm really content with it. I'm just curious to hear if anyone is actually considering switching over.

Durante

I'm not.

I would be happy if Steam gets official Wii U Pro pad support, since that's my current controller of choice for those games I don't use the Steam Controller for. (Since the only major weakness on the Steam controller is digital directional control IMHO, and the d-pad on the Wii U Pro pad is really good)

In general, I don't really believe in "dropping" one input method for another. I like to have a set at my disposal that can deal with various game types.

Top Bottom