• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Sophia

Playing Skyrim Special Edition with the Steam Controller, and the mere act of backing out of the Big Picture Mode menu crashes not only the overlay but all of Steam.

Mind you, Skyrim isn't the most stable of games as is but.... Completely inexcusable that the overlay is still so finicky. :(

I finally got my replacement about a week back. It's funny how I have to get my thumb used to moving so much again, but it only took about a day for me to snap back into it. I've been playing a lot of Killing Floor 2, which is great target practice, and has awesome controller support (for the most part). I've also been slowly going through Rise of the Tomb Raider with a mouse + gamepad configuration, and it's fantastic. It almost feels like it was meant to be played this way.

Also, I was wondering. For those who play Overwatch, does the game completely lock you away from using mouse + gamepad, or does it just have the flickering UI issue? Because I really don't mind that, considering I have to memorize binds in most games regardless. As long as it lets me use analog movement and trackpad aiming, I'm content.

EDIT: Mouse+Gamepad works like a charm. 👍

Sophia

I finally got my replacement about a week back. It's funny how I have to get my thumb used to moving so much again, but it only took about a day for me to snap back into it. I've been playing a lot of Killing Floor 2, which is great target practice, and has awesome controller support (for the most part). I've also been slowly going through Rise of the Tomb Raider with a mouse + gamepad configuration, and it's fantastic. It almost feels like it was meant to be played this way.

Also, I was wondering. For those who play Overwatch, does the game completely lock you away from using mouse + gamepad, or does it just have the flickering UI issue? Because I really don't mind that, considering I have to memorize binds in most games regardless. As long as it lets me use analog movement and trackpad aiming, I'm content.

Flickering UI issue I believe. I heard people say there's slight input lag introduced too? I just use a pure KB/M setup for Overwatch myself.

Flickering UI issue I believe. I heard people say there's slight input lag introduced too? I just use a pure KB/M setup for Overwatch myself.
Input lag? Feels like a strange issue to come out of that. It seems like Blizzard was involved in fixing Steam Link and Steam Controller issues recently, but I guess I'll just have to find out myself on Friday. I'd really prefer to have full analog movement in 3D environments.

Sophia

Input lag? Feels like a strange issue to come out of that. It seems like Blizzard was involved in fixing Steam Link and Steam Controller issues recently, but I guess I'll just have to find out myself on Friday. I'd really prefer to have full analog movement in 3D environments.

I haven't actually tried it because I detest UI elements flickering, but I recall hearing there was a slight delay switching from gamepad to KB/M and back when the UI flicks over.

I haven't actually tried it because I detest UI elements flickering, but I recall hearing there was a slight delay switching from gamepad to KB/M and back when the UI flicks over.
Yeah, I read something about a delay, as well as a loud sound playing whenever you used both in tandem. However, these were posted far apart from each other, and I couldn't really find any recent impression, at least not anything after posts I saw by Blizzard staff talking to SL/SC users about fixing bugs. I agree, flickering can be really jarring, especially initially. Can't blame anybody for avoiding it, considering the many times it's messed me up. I wish for the day that games are more cooperative with this controller.

FLAguy954

I use the Steam Controller for almost everything now, tbh. Only really for 2D games do I bust out something else.

This. By the way, the new touch menus are fucking awesome! I was surprised to see some custom ones made for Bioshock Infinite and Bioshock 2 Remastered on the templates list.

Having a weird issue, steam no longer recognizes the steam controller as anything other than a mouse & keyboard input. Every game, even the ones with full controller support, are defaulting to desktop configuration. Kind of at my wits' end trying to fix it.

Nzyme32

Not sure if this is new, since it has been quite a few months since I attempted this, but finally BPM overlay and Steam Controller seem to work happily with MSI Afterburner and RIVA Tuner overlay - which was a pleasant surprise - however it appears that the BPM web browser doesn't understand the steam controller mouse cursor clicks, which is annoying.

Durante

Plus an ergonomical retouch would be welcome, it's not very appealing for people with small hands.
I have quite small hands and I find it the most comfortable controller to use actually. Everything is in easy reach, and it's the only controller where I can hold it naturally and have a finger on each shoulder button.

Big Nikus

I want to buy one during the next sale, I want it especially for the gyro.
I'm about to start a new run of Mass Effect 2, so I wondered if the Steam controller could work with it, given that I have the Origin version of the game. Also, could it work with the controller mod installed ? Seems like a long shot but that would be awesome (especially for ME3 multiplayer).
If it works with ME, I'll order one immediately.

Bl@de

Quick question: What is (and how does it work) the magnifying glass option when setting up a profile? Button does nothing for me when I use it ingame. Thought it might zoom in where the mouse cursor is. Would be great for Dragon Age 2. Have a great controller profile but the UI is just so small in the inventory. A zoom function would be amazing.

I'm about to start a new run of Mass Effect 2, so I wondered if the Steam controller could work with it, given that I have the Origin version of the game.
If you can run the game through Steam then yes it should be able to handle it. Whether it's any good depends on whether the game has simultaneous mouse/keyboard and controller inputs. My gut feeling is it doesn't. That said, you'll be able to still use it as long as you can run it from Steam. Even if you can't, you can look into changing the 'desktop configuration' to fit that game (but that will change the default configuration for everything that's not run through Steam).

Quick question: What is (and how does it work) the magnifying glass option when setting up a profile?
Is it possible it's just the Windows accessibility magnifying glass feature?

Sophia

New features I want for the Steam Controller:
  • Option to display a message when using an activator that toggles.
  • Option to make the radical menu activate upon touch release, but not on modeshift end. This one is key to streamlining my radical menu activation setup for PSO2's hotbar.

But it doesn't work for me (ingame DX11). Is it only for desktop use?

I can't remember which game I tried it on (Warframe maybe?) but when I tried it it worked in game. It might have difficulty working if the app isn't in a windowed/borderless windowed mode tho?

derFeef

I have quite small hands and I find it the most comfortable controller to use actually. Everything is in easy reach, and it's the only controller where I can hold it naturally and have a finger on each shoulder button.

I have large hands and do not have too much problems with reach and stuff, but it could be more comfy. I lent the controller to a workmate and he loves the concept, but due to having small hands he can't use it properly. But I can see there being a learning curve as well for sure.

Bl@de

I can't remember which game I tried it on (Warframe maybe?) but when I tried it it worked in game. It might have difficulty working if the app isn't in a windowed/borderless windowed mode tho?

Good idea. I'll try borderless window tomorrow.

Big Nikus

If you can run the game through Steam then yes it should be able to handle it. Whether it's any good depends on whether the game has simultaneous mouse/keyboard and controller inputs. My gut feeling is it doesn't. That said, you'll be able to still use it as long as you can run it from Steam. Even if you can't, you can look into changing the 'desktop configuration' to fit that game (but that will change the default configuration for everything that's not run through Steam).

Thanks. I'll try different options.

The other game I want to try it with is Overwatch.

I hope the controller gets a discount tomorrow for the Fall Sale.

Lister

Banned
At that price I'll pick up another one.

Any good PC split screen co-op games to play with these over the holiday?

Overwatch has really changed the way I used the trackpad. Before, I would use the very tip of my thumb, even applying a bit of my thumbnail to allow for more glide, but I've found it makes smaller adjustments difficult. So I went back to using the bottom of my thumb (not all of it, just the front) and suddenly characters like McCree and Soldier 76 play just fine. It seems like a bit of friction isn't detrimental, it's all about knowing when to apply it. A tighter grip for faraway targets, and a looser one for close-quarters combat. It probably sounds hard to get used to, but it's not. Just like trackball flicking, it becomes second nature after a few hours.

Also, this has to be one of the best games to play with this controller now that it allows Gamepad+Mouse. Their rebind options are some of the best I've seen for gamepads. It basically means I barely have to do any work on my Steam Controller configuration. They let you rebind each character individually, and even have toggle options! (Ex. Widowmaker's scope can be switched from hold to toggle, which helps because I have alt fire mapped to the left bumper, Mercy has something similar with her buff beam) Their support for this device is definitely what sold me on the game after the free weekend.

Any good PC split screen co-op games to play with these over the holiday?
Portal 2 and L4D2 (with the splitscreen mod) are amazing. They work natively with no issues.

ElFly

is there a good config for Skyrim?

I normally play action games with the right touchpad as a mouse but for whatever reason it doesn't work here

setting it as a joystick-camera is way less satisfactory (actually worse than 360 controller with a right analog stick!)

Unai

I normally play action games with the right touchpad as a mouse but for whatever reason it doesn't work here

setting it as a joystick-camera is way less satisfactory (actually worse than 360 controller with a right analog stick!)

Skyrim doesn't allow joystick and keyboard+mouse at the same time. It will only fell good if you use keyboard and mouse configuration only.

Sophia

Skyrim doesn't support simultaneous KB/M and Gamepad inputs. So your only solution for mouse control in Skyrim is to disable gamepad in game and then create a pure KB/M interface.

Overwatch has really changed the way I used the trackpad. Before, I would use the very tip of my thumb, even applying a bit of my thumbnail to allow for more glide, but I've found it makes smaller adjustments difficult. So I went back to using the bottom of my thumb (not all of it, just the front) and suddenly characters like McCree and Soldier 76 play just fine. It seems like a bit of friction isn't detrimental, it's all about knowing when to apply it. A tighter grip for faraway targets, and a looser one for close-quarters combat. It probably sounds hard to get used to, but it's not. Just like trackball flicking, it becomes second nature after a few hours.

Also, this has to be one of the best games to play with this controller now that it allows Gamepad+Mouse. Their rebind options are some of the best I've seen for gamepads. They let you rebind each character individually, and even have toggle options! (Ex. Widowmaker's scope can be switched from hold to toggle, which helps because I have alt fire mapped to the left bumper, Mercy has something similar with her buff beam) Their support for this device is definitely what sold me on the game after the free weekend.

I love it with Overwatch. Gyro aiming is so good for a lot of the heroes. <3

Quixzlizx

Has there been any noise about an updated Link being announced? I'll definitely buy one for $20 as long as it isn't about to be obsolete.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Has there been any noise about an updated Link being announced? I'll definitely buy one for $20 as long as it isn't about to be obsolete.

I don't think there is much to update in terms of hardware. It's a machine built specifically to stream video from your desktop.

Big Nikus

I had not anticipated the 14&#8364; shipping costs.
edit: ah, they almost had me. I only need the controller, not the controller case. So, 10&#8364; for the shipping fees, alright, bought.

Nzyme32

9fedf047630cb589421ebe9477c2e8d3160f8386.png

http://store.steampowered.com/controller/update/nov16

Bl@de

Borderless window mode was the solution for the magnifier option. Sadly it doesn't work when streaming a game :( I'll play it with M+KB in that case. UI is just too small for a TV in Dragon Age 2. Wish they would've added different UIs depending on input (like Inquisition from what I saw in reviews).

I love it with Overwatch. Gyro aiming is so good for a lot of the heroes. <3
Initially I was tempted to fall back on gyro, but I eventually learned I'd have to get quick with my motions no matter what way I played. I stuck with the trackpad, and I'm not really regretting it. But yeah, it's fantastic with Overwatch. The force feedback in particular is used so well, and it's a little immersive when you're playing someone like D. Va and feel the controller rumble under your hands.

WillyFive

Got the Steam controller binded perfectly to Oblivion; it is magnificent. I can do more with it now than I can with Skyrim on a 360 pad.

Nabs

I created a pretty good Crysis config (Awesome Crysis Config). BPM didn't work for me until I added -dx9 to launch options, so keep that in mind if you run into that problem.

- It uses a blend of controller and keyboard, meaning you can also get rumble if you choose. I like it.
- The Right Pad doubles as a Suit Power Selector (Click Up: Speed, Down: Cloak, etc). I also recommend enabling shortcuts so you can do things like double tap run to enable speed. Middle Click is set to Use.
- The Left Pad is a touch menu for selecting Weapons, Binoculars, seats and more. Binoculars gets its own Action Set, so you can zoom in with triggers or grips.
- I made the Left Trigger a hold to aim instead of toggle. It isn't 100% perfect, so I added a double tap to toggle so you can get out of it if it ever gets stuck.
- I did not go with the crouch to toggle config-side, so add that if you prefer. I am using a system.cfg to handle it instead.
- Hold Back to Quick Save, Start to Quick Load. Jump/Run with Grips. Gryo to assist with aiming.

dadjumper

Thinking about picking one up in this Amazon sale. If I already have a DS4, is there a reason for me to play PC games with the SC? interested in it for Civ etc but I can configure the DS4 for that so

Sophia

Thinking about picking one up in this Amazon sale. If I already have a DS4, is there a reason for me to play PC games with the SC? interested in it for Civ etc but I can configure the DS4 for that so

Steam Controller will work way more naturally for games like Civilization and similar games then the DS4, as the trackpads are comparable to an actual mouse.

I've played Stellaris on the Steam Controller myself, and it's fantastic.

Steam Controller will work way more naturally for games like Civilization and similar games then the DS4, as the trackpads are comparable to an actual mouse.
Seconding this. You could put up with analog as a pointer control if you really wanted, but a 1:1 input just feels more natural in top-down management games, since you don't have to pick between speed or precision. And even if you use the PS4 trackpad, it seems awfully far for thumbs to reach comfortably, and is kind of small, whereas the SC's is in a great position, and has a great amount of room. Even if you don't end up preferring it for most games, you will probably find some titles that will work better with it.

the licensee

Neo Member
I created a pretty good Crysis config (Awesome Crysis Config). BPM didn't work for me until I added -dx9 to launch options, so keep that in mind if you run into that problem.

- It uses a blend of controller and keyboard, meaning you can also get rumble if you choose. I like it.
- The Right Pad doubles as a Suit Power Selector (Click Up: Speed, Down: Cloak, etc). I also recommend enabling shortcuts so you can do things like double tap run to enable speed. Middle Click is set to Use.
- The Left Pad is a touch menu for selecting Weapons, Binoculars, seats and more. Binoculars gets its own Action Set, so you can zoom in with triggers or grips.
- I made the Left Trigger a hold to aim instead of toggle. It isn't 100% perfect, so I added a double tap to toggle so you can get out of it if it ever gets stuck.
- I did not go with the crouch to toggle config-side, so add that if you prefer. I am using a system.cfg to handle it instead.
- Hold Back to Quick Save, Start to Quick Load. Jump/Run with Grips. Gryo to assist with aiming.

Been meaning to play Crysis again for a while so I gave your config a try and it works brilliantly. The change firing mode on long press X and the binoc action set are really nice touches.

I made a couple of adjustments mainly to suit my play style if you're interested. I like to play stealthily so I initially tried to add crouch (regular press) and prone (long press) to the left stick but the way Crysis handles this on m&k meant it didn't really work so I moved them onto the grips and transferred a sprint toggle onto the left stick. I also changed movement to WASD to utilise the double S armour mode shortcut and right pad click to middle mouse button so the suit menu activates on release instead of press.

Great job anyway - I'm pretty sure I used your config for Wolfenstein TNO too. Just a shame the config was stuck at the bottom of the list. It's been said before but they really need to implement a rating/comments system or even a way to follow individual users.

Nabs

Thanks for checking them out, I appreciate it. I'll check out your changes when I get a chance.

The whole config situation is a tough one, I hope they can come up with a good solution.

Lister

Banned
Seconding this. You could put up with analog as a pointer control if you really wanted, but a 1:1 input just feels more natural in top-down management games, since you don't have to pick between speed or precision. And even if you use the PS4 trackpad, it seems awfully far for thumbs to reach comfortably, and is kind of small, whereas the SC's is in a great position, and has a great amount of room. Even if you don't end up preferring it for most games, you will probably find some titles that will work better with it.

Third'ed. The haptic feedback is also a key component in how the trackpad manages ot feel both precise and quick.

wilflare

Thanks for checking them out, I appreciate it. I'll check out your changes when I get a chance.

The whole config situation is a tough one, I hope they can come up with a good solution.

Nabs - is the Steam Controller your goto controller now? :3

I have never once, ever ever ever, been able to get my Steam Controller to work on my various Macs, in any capacity but sometimes on the desktop (but not all the time) and in big picture mode. If I'm wireless, when I go to a game nothing ever happens. When I'm wired in then the game sees it as a keyboard/mouse, which is generally fine but not what I'm looking for really at all

Any other Mac users have any experience with this? I just want to play Rocket League guys, that's all. I'm dying here.

Branduil

I made a Kb/M binding for the special edition called Super Skyrim, you can try it from the community bindings. Just be careful because Skyrim has a bug where you can get stuck in walk mode and you have to press the Steam button and then the walk toggle to fix it.

Top Bottom