• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Aru

I have never once, ever ever ever, been able to get my Steam Controller to work on my various Macs, in any capacity but sometimes on the desktop (but not all the time) and in big picture mode. If I'm wireless, when I go to a game nothing ever happens. When I'm wired in then the game sees it as a keyboard/mouse, which is generally fine but not what I'm looking for really at all

Any other Mac users have any experience with this? I just want to play Rocket League guys, that's all. I'm dying here.

I had issues with Steam beta channel a while ago. I opted out of beta and so far it works great. But I can't edit configurations while in game because BPM + in-game mode is probably too much for my HD Graphics 5000. Also Steam detects my controller as both a SC and Xinput controller, I don't know why. No double input issue so far.

I had issues with Steam beta channel a while ago. I opted out of beta and so far it works great. But I can't edit configurations while in game because BPM + in-game mode is probably too much for my HD Graphics 5000. Also Steam detects my controller as both a SC and Xinput controller, I don't know why. No double input issue so far.

Could that be it? I just have to get off the beta channel?

Edit:

Oh my god that was it.

giphy.gif

The analog stick can be made into a fairly functional emulation of an arcade stick with the right setup. It's not bad for 2D games this way, and definitely superior to a 360 controller. However, I have an 8bitdo SNES controller and a handful of other controllers that are ideal for playing 2D games. So I'd rather use those.

For 2D games, set the analog stick to be a directional pad with the deadzone fairly high up and haptics as high as they can go. It works very well this way.

Depends. How do you feel about arcade sticks? If you swear by d-pads, this might turn you off at first, but there's a really nice digital mode that you can set the analog stick to. With a high deadzone, and high haptics, it feels really snappy and responsive. I've played through a ton of platformers this way, and I've never felt at a disadvantage.

EDIT: Damn, this is practically a dupe post, haha. My bad for replying on instinct. Sentiment still stands, though.

This is an older conversation, but I fail to see any option to set haptic feedback once you set "Style of Input" as "Directional Pad". So when I go set my Steam arcade games or 2d games in this setup I have no option for adjusting haptics.

Also, do you all set your layout as Radial without overlap or how do you set that function up for the arcade stick feel?

I just want to get the Steam Controllers Left Analog Stick up and running like an arcade stick with the benefits of setting up haptics. I must be doing something wrong because thus far I am not finding thosse options.

SC GAF please help.

This is an older conversation, but I fail to see any option to set haptic feedback once you set "Style of Input" as "Directional Pad". So when I go set my Steam arcade games or 2d games in this setup I have no option for adjusting haptics.

Also, do you all set your layout as Radial without overlap or how do you set that function up for the arcade stick feel?

I just want to get the Steam Controllers Left Analog Stick up and running like an arcade stick with the benefits of setting up haptics. I must be doing something wrong because thus far I am not finding thosse options.

SC GAF please help.
Yeah, they made it a bit cumbersome to set up recently. When you're selecting the direction's bind, you have to press the Back button on the controller, and set up haptics individually through the activator menu. I only enable overlap when neccesary; if it's something like Super Meat Boy or Pac-Man Championship, I disable it. Either way, diagonals aren't too harmful as long as you have a big enough deadzone; I like setting it 10 ticks from the right.

EDIT:

Are there any good guides to setting up your own configurations?
Not really. :'/ Any guides I've seen are either outdated, brush over important details, or make everything unnecessarily complicated. Most of us are really quick to give input when asked on a particular subject of the controller, though! The best thing to do would try suggestions out individually until one of them clicks. There is a lot of initial effort to learning the device, but I promise it's worth it.

coopolon

Are there any good guides to setting up your own configurations?

There's so many options these days. Especially for how to configure the right touch pad, so many different versions of mouse or analogue stick, it's very confusing knowing which one is right and how to set it up once you do know which one is right.

Edit: also, any recommendations for hitman? the recommended one has the touch pad behave like an analogue stick where if you hold it on the edge it keeps scrolling, feels kind of strange.

Sophia

I've considered writing up a guide for general customization, but I'd have to take screenshots too, and that's a pain unless I run the games in 1920x1080.

In particular, it'd be less about the specific features, and more about starting with a base to work with for specific genres.

Yeah, they made it a bit cumbersome to set up recently. When you're selecting the direction's bind, you have to press the Back button on the controller, and set up haptics individually through the activator menu. I only enable overlap when neccesary; if it's something like Super Meat Boy or Pac-Man Championship, I disable it. Either way, diagonals aren't too harmful as long as you have a big enough deadzone; I like setting it 10 ticks from the right.

EDIT:

Not really. :'/ Any guides I've seen are either outdated, brush over important details, or make everything unnecessarily complicated. Most of us are really quick to give input when asked on a particular subject of the controller, though! The best thing to do would try suggestions out individually until one of them clicks. There is a lot of initial effort to learning the device, but I promise it's worth it.
Thanks for the quick response. I never had experience setting up haptics through activators so that's a big help.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I just noticed there's a "none" option for trackball friction now, which is great. I had bugged them about that for a while. Does anyone know when that was added?

I'm using trackball on my right trackpad for mouse-based steering in Star Citizen. For long turns, I had to do multiple flicks before, but can now I can just give it a slow spin and it keeps going in a smooth turn.

Friction-free emulated trackball is a game changer for me.

Unai

I just noticed there's a "none" option for trackball friction now, which is great. I had bugged them about that for a while. Does anyone know when that was added?

I'm using trackball on my right trackpad for mouse-based steering in Star Citizen. For long turns, I had to do multiple flicks before, but can now I can just give it a slow spin and it keeps going in a smooth turn.

Friction-free emulated trackball is a game changer for me.

Some months ago, I don't remember the exact date.

TheRed

Just popping in here to show how I use the controller in Titanfall 2 to great effect. So naysayers to this controller being good for shooters can see. It really is great, just needs practice like anything.
https://youtu.be/o2diY10hotg

The experimental rumble on high feels fantastic in Titanfall 2 as well.

TheRed

A little practice goes a long way. Nice video.

Yup. Thanks, there's just a satisfaction when playing a game well on the steam controller that can't be matched. Switching to keyboard and mouse in games I'm like yeah this is good but most of the time I miss the steam controller. So good.

Question, since it's on sale I'm interested in maybe getting a second one. Is there no issues using two of them at the same time? Shouldn't be but sometimes having a bunch of different wireless controllers on PC has messed up for me.

Edit: Ha guy below me I have the same question and have owned the thing since first release.

TheRed

Titanfall 2 feels perfect with the SC. You were spot on about the rumble feeling good.

Yeah just walking around in a Titan is great. Also the little vibration just when using jump jets as pilot feels perfect. Some games the rumble on the SC doesn't work exactly how the other controllers do and isn't right, Battlefield 1 for instance gives me no vibration at all on a lot of weapons and only slight vibration on some even turning it to extra high.

I'm actually astonished with how well the steam controller works with Titanfall 2. Having mouse trackpad and mouse gyro aim causes no problems in gameplay with every other button being a gamepad setting, it keeps gamepad prompts up pretty much the whole time too.
If this game was sold on Steam I could see it being one that could be bundled with the Steam Controller.

It's that good.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Titanfall 2 feels perfect with the SC. You were spot on about the rumble feeling good.

pretty hilarious how Titanfall 1/2 are the highest profile Source Engine licensees, and now you're saying it's great with Steam Controller, but it's not on Steam because ??? sales devalue IPs except when you give customers the game for free in EA Access?

TheRed

pretty hilarious how Titanfall 1/2 are the highest profile Source Engine licensees, and now you're saying it's great with Steam Controller, but it's not on Steam because ??? sales devalue IPs except when you give customers the game for free in EA Access?

But but there's no TF2 on EA access trial either :(

Yeah I wish Respawn could've found a better publisher to give them what they needed than EA and would allow the game on Steam. Would probably be a huge game right now on Steam.

Nabs

I don't understand it at all, it would be perfect on Steam. I get locking down BF/Fifa, but I can't imagine IPs like NFS, Unravel, or TF benefiting from it.

Question, since it's on sale I'm interested in maybe getting a second one. Is there no issues using two of them at the same time? Shouldn't be but sometimes having a bunch of different wireless controllers on PC has messed up for me.

Seems like a dumb question but can you pair multiple controllers to a single receiver?
No issues using them at the same time (obv mouselook will not work for both unless the game has native support), and you only need one receiver plugged in. Games that refuse to work with two at once are on a case-by-case basis.

Sophia

On the plus side: Analog movement on Overwatch is SO GOOD.

On the downside: Seeing the UI flicker back and fourth rapidly anytime you move is not. Wish there was a way to disable that, as it affects the chat log too.

derFeef

On the downside: Seeing the UI flicker back and fourth rapidly anytime you move is not. Wish there was a way to disable that, as it affects the chat log too.

Yeah, I wish there would be a driver-level switch or something to disable that.
Drives me mad in some games more than others, depending on how they present the buttons.

Any examples off the top of your head?
For games that don't work with two at once? Nope, I've yet to come across the problem, but I know I've heard people come across it. Overall, I think you should be fine buying a second.

Aaa, isn't it? I don't mind the HUD so much, especially since button prompts are faded and in the corner, but the textbox is definitely annoying.

deadfolk

I'm hearing that the SC doesn't work with Watch_dogs 2...anyone tried it yet? Mine is still downloading.

This would be a dealbreaker for the game for me.

Edit: Works fine.

It's just one of those annoying ones where the prompts constantly switch, but at least they switch instantly. This means, for example, if it's telling you to 'Press F', you can just hit any button mapped to a controller input and it will change to 'Press LB' or whatever - so at least you can find out which button to press until you have memorised them all.

I just got my steam controller last week. I got it purely to play dragon age origins and oblivion and those point and click games like fallout 1&2, baulders gate, shadow run and such. Only tried it for a few minutes. But I see image have to get used to that track pad. But I'll just deal with it when it time for me to play those games. Still playing other games at the moment.

TheRed

I'm hearing that the SC doesn't work with Watch_dogs 2...anyone tried it yet? Mine is still downloading.

This would be a dealbreaker for the game for me.

Edit: Works fine.

It's just one of those annoying ones where the prompts constantly switch, but at least they switch instantly. This means, for example, if it's telling you to 'Press F', you can just hit any button mapped to a controller input and it will change to 'Press LB' or whatever - so at least you can find out which button to press until you have memorised them all.
I can't get the steam overlay to work at all, but I have it as a non steam game added from Uplay. I have no issues with The Division in the same way though.

Also I've gotten considerably better with it in Titanfall 2...
https://youtu.be/5Lh4uB-XPEY
It's so good in that game and that game is so good. Loving it.

Nzyme32

A minor annoyance with the Steam Controller icons currently available for touch / radial menus - they seem to have many of the standard hazard symbols, but not all.

I need a corrosive symbol damn it!

Bought the Darksiders remaster today due to them advertising native Steam Controller support. Sadly, there is none present. Even worse, the game locks you to either gamepad or mouse+keyboard. Just a warning for those who are interested in buying it primarily for that feature.

Works fine.

Yeah, as far as I know, Ubi is very good at allowing simultaneous mouse + gamepad. I've yet to see a game from them that blocks it out. Glad to hear Watch_Dogs 2 supports it! Definitely going to grab it as soon as I get the chance, it looks like fun.

A minor annoyance with the Steam Controller icons currently available for touch / radial menus - they seem to have many of the standard hazard symbols, but not all.

I need a corrosive symbol damn it!
We really need menu icon sharing through a workshop-based system down the road, I feel like it'd help out a lot. Valve definitely does a good job with what they supply, but there's always that one symbol that they don't have. :'/

Sophia

Bought the Darksiders remaster today due to them advertising native Steam Controller support. Sadly, there is none present. Even worse, the game locks you to either gamepad or mouse+keyboard. Just a warning for those who are interested in buying it primarily for that feature.

That's pretty shady. Games shouldn't be advertising themselves like that unless they legitimately have native support.... I wonder what can be done about that?

That's pretty shady. Games shouldn't be advertising themselves like that unless they legitimately have native support.... I wonder what can be done about that?
It was only 4$, so I'm not too upset about it. I'm hoping that it's just a bug, and they forgot to enable native configurations. Worst case scenario, it'd be cool if they clarified that in the Steam page, and eventually enable simultaneous mouse+gamepad. I've actually made a thread on their community forums, since I saw a couple of Nordic employees responding in threads throughout the day, but they've missed mines despite being so active. Not the best sign, but it hasn't even been a day yet. I'm sure they'll respond eventually, whether it's to my thread or a different one.

Does it show Steam Controller prompts? That might be the "native" support much like Darksiders 2 had.
Nope, not even that. It shows 360 buttons during gameplay. I've actually come across a lot of people mentioning the (apparently) awful DSII SC support during all of this, so now I feel a bit silly for not doing my research before buying.

Eusis

Nope, not even that. It shows 360 buttons during gameplay. I've actually come across a lot of people mentioning the (apparently) awful DSII SC support during all of this, so now I feel a bit silly for not doing my research before buying.
DSII was dumb in that it added support in... and locked it as virtual joystick, requiring the addition of legacy bindings to get around. NO ONE does that for camera control and I hope they're learned this.

Lork

So how are you supposed to get the PS4 controller support working? When "PS4 Controller Configuration" is disabled the controller is detected by Steam and works in Big Picture Mode but I can't make configurations obviously and it doesn't work in games. If I enable it however, Steam loses the ability to detect the controller and it doesn't even work in BP mode, let alone in games, and I still can't make configurations.

You weren't kidding! What a perfect example of how much more precise this thing is compared to dual analog gamepads. Cranked the pad and gyro sensitivity up from the default, though.
Yeah, I used to keep trackpad sensitivity low, but lately I've cranked it up to 20 ticks, and adjusted in-game sensitivity from there (I like setting it so that a swipe on the pad from left to right does a full 180). Totally worth it, especially when it comes to the resolution that it adds to the trackpad. I'd also recommend disabling smoothing, even if you only try it out for a bit. I personally feel it makes a huge difference.

Nabs

You weren't kidding! What a perfect example of how much more precise this thing is compared to dual analog gamepads. Cranked the pad and gyro sensitivity up from the default, though.

Yeah, with Doom I can easily see playing with kb/m, but dual analog? After the Steam Controller no fucking way.

Yup, and having jump on a grip makes it so you never have to pick your thumb off the trackpad. It's so much better than a regular gamepad.

Uriah

I know the store says the range is around 5 meters, but does anyone have any experience using longer ranges? I'm thinking about getting a Steam Controller and using a HDMI to Ethernet adapter instead of a steam link (since the link doesn't support 4k) but I was curious about how to use the controller from quite a distance away.

...I will say, and I love the concept and configurability of the controller, but having its functionality tied to Big Picture Mode is a nightmare. BPM crashes on me semi-regularly, leaving the game running but my controller inoperable - if I power cycle the controller, it comes back up as a dInput device with none of my bindings.

Quite the house of cards they've built. I'll keep using it, but damn if it isn't frustrating every time it happens.

...I will say, and I love the concept and configurability of the controller, but having its functionality tied to Big Picture Mode is a nightmare. BPM crashes on me semi-regularly, leaving the game running but my controller inoperable - if I power cycle the controller, it comes back up as a dInput device with none of my bindings.

Quite the house of cards they've built. I'll keep using it, but damn if it isn't frustrating every time it happens.
It's the biggest flaw, indeed. The worst thing is it makes some games stutter with G-Sync on.

Until they fix this I can't justify using the SC.

Top Bottom