• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

derFeef

You are not really bound to BPM anymore, unless you want to dive deeper into general settings. Game-specific settings can be changed via the library without BPM. You don't need to have it running...

...I will say, and I love the concept and configurability of the controller, but having its functionality tied to Big Picture Mode is a nightmare. BPM crashes on me semi-regularly, leaving the game running but my controller inoperable - if I power cycle the controller, it comes back up as a dInput device with none of my bindings.

Quite the house of cards they've built. I'll keep using it, but damn if it isn't frustrating every time it happens.
If you launch the game normally in desktop mode then turn on the SC it will run with the default overlay, you just won't have touch menus

Eusis

You are not really bound to BPM anymore, unless you want to dive deeper into general settings. Game-specific settings can be changed via the library without BPM. You don't need to have it running...
Games generally run with the BPM overlay instead of the standard Steam one however. Can this still be an issue with the controller?

... And man, I forget half the time about using the grip buttons to jump in Doom. I guess some habits just don't die easily (and it makes me wish it had the Elite's two extra grips as I want to whip out the BFG as well as the Chainsaw. Nevermind having BOTH crouch and jump on the left side.)

deadfolk

I can't get the steam overlay to work at all, but I have it as a non steam game added from Uplay. I have no issues with The Division in the same way though.

I wonder why that could be. I tested it on my host PC and then played all night on my Steam Link with no controller issues other than the prompts swapping. Even bringing up the overlay to change config on the fly worked.

In fact, I have the UPlay overlay enabled and it even appears when I accidentally select the option in-game. But then I can't get out again, because you have to press some key combination to exit, and I don't have that mapped!

Oh, hang on. I have the Steam version as opposed to UPlay - although it obviously still launches UPlay. I wonder if that's an issue somehow - but I've never had a problem with UPlay games before. That's potentially worrying.

Unai

Not exactly true. Big Picture will always be running on the background so you get those problems even if you don't start the game in BPM.

atr0cious

Not true as with any added non steam game will need the BPM to function outside of desktop mode. So you either reconfigure your desktop controls or turn BPM back on.

wilflare

finally gave the Steam Controller a go.
played Android Cactus and Bloodstained Demo

it takes some getting used to and I miss the Dual Analog

Nabs

finally gave the Steam Controller a go.
played Android Cactus and Bloodstained Demo

it takes some getting used to and I miss the Dual Analog

- Give it some time. It's a new type of controller, and it'll take some time to learn.
- There are two developer configs for Cactus, give the Mouse Region Aiming config a shot. You may have to get used to the trackpad first, but it's a game changer.

Just got my Steam Link / Controller bundle setup. Doom worked great, but I definitely need to dive into the configuration. I used the "official" Doom config, but the right track pad needs more travel. I'll have to figure out all the settings, but I absolutely loved having jump on the bottom paddles. The whole thing was up in running 10 minutes after walking in the door, 4 minutes of that spent playing with my 16 month old kid.

wilflare

- Give it some time. It's a new type of controller, and it'll take some time to learn.
- There are two developer configs for Cactus, give the Mouse Region Aiming config a shot. You may have to get used to the trackpad first, but it's a game changer.

I tried the Mouse Region Aiming - took me a while to realise I need the game to recognise my controller as KB/M. it feels less precise/responsive for now.

went back to the Gamepad Aiming

any other tweaks I should consider?

Big Nikus

I received it today. It takes a few hours to adjust but I've been having a blast on Overwatch.

Now I'm trying to make it work with Mass Effect 2 and 3, and I've got the controller mods installed. Surprisingly, it works... for a few seconds, then it stops and I can't even access BPM.
I think it could work better if I uninstalled the controller mod but I want to keep the controller button prompts :(

atr0cious

I tried the Mouse Region Aiming - took me a while to realise I need the game to recognise my controller as KB/M. it feels less precise/responsive for now.

went back to the Gamepad Aiming

any other tweaks I should consider?
When it feels less responsive, you're supposed to tweak the sensitivity, and other input variables. I use kbm for everything, less chance of it lagging because of the switch between console and kbm config and it feels more granular.

Sophia

Yes. For Assault Android Cactus, mapping the gamepad to the Steam Controller will put you at an explicit disadvantage. You cannot turn your aim around fast enough that way.

Mouse Region config is the way to go.

wilflare

I received it today. It takes a few hours to adjust but I've been having a blast on Overwatch.

Now I'm trying to make it work with Mass Effect 2 and 3, and I've got the controller mods installed. Surprisingly, it works... for a few seconds, then it stops and I can't even access BPM.
I think it could work better if I uninstalled the controller mod but I want to keep the controller button prompts :(

how are you using it with Overwatch? :O

When it feels less responsive, you're supposed to tweak the sensitivity, and other input variables. I use kbm for everything, less chance of it lagging because of the switch between console and kbm config and it feels more granular.

I'll take a look again. forgot about the tweaking of sensitivity and things like that

Yes. For Assault Android Cactus, mapping the gamepad to the Steam Controller will put you at an explicit disadvantage. You cannot turn your aim around fast enough that way.

I'll definitely give it a try again. i often end up pushing both the trigger and grip buttons to fire

if only there's a headphone jack on the Steam Controller - would be perfect with the Steam Link

Sophia

how are you using it with Overwatch? :O

I'll take a look again. forgot about the tweaking of sensitivity and things like that

I'll definitely give it a try again. i often end up pushing both the trigger and grip buttons to fire

if only there's a headphone jack on the Steam Controller - would be perfect with the Steam Link

Add Overwatch to Steam, and then you can use the controller with it. You'll be required to log in manually, however.

Any application you can add to Steam (which is really anything that isn't a W10 UWP app) can be used with the Steam Controller.

One thing you can totally do for AAC (and I do it personally) is add a touch binding so that you auto fire if you're touching it. Works great. <3

Yeah, it would be nice if the devs patched out that turn delay, and maybe added a 1:1 cursor like mouse aim has. Would make it much more tolerable, based on my experience with Gungeon/Nuclear Throne. The game is definitely playable all the way through with gamepad mappings, but I have to admit it isn't the best way to do it.

wilflare

Add Overwatch to Steam, and then you can use the controller with it. You'll be required to log in manually, however.

Any application you can add to Steam (which is really anything that isn't a W10 UWP app) can be used with the Steam Controller.

One thing you can totally do for AAC (and I do it personally) is add a touch binding so that you auto fire if you're touching it. Works great. <3

the touchbinding is a GODSEND GAMECHANGER

on a sidenote, where can I adjust sensitivity

Sophia

I'm at work on mobile, but if you check the steam forums, you can bypass this so you don't have to sign in every time.

Oh really? I'll have to give this a look. I know I don't have to log into Diablo 3, but Overwatch has always asked me to log in when running through Steam. Pain too because I have 2FA on the account.

Yeah, it would be nice if the devs patched out that turn delay, and maybe added a 1:1 cursor like mouse aim has. Would make it much more tolerable, based on my experience with Gungeon/Nuclear Throne. The game is definitely playable all the way through with gamepad mappings, but I have to admit it isn't the best way to do it.

I don't think the turn delay can really be "patched out" so to speak. It's a mere side effect of binding the sticks to the touchpad. Much like how Joystick-Mouse mode doesn't provide as smooth inputs as pure mouse. That being said, the problem solves itself if the game would support mixed inputs.

the touchbinding is a GODSEND GAMECHANGER

on a sidenote, where can I adjust sensitivity

Normally, you'd just select the respective touchpad and adjust the sensitivity bar. But for mouse region you will need to adjust the size of the region itself in order to adjust the sensitivity.

Big Nikus

I've uninstalled the controller mod for Mass Effect, so now I can play with the trackpad and the gyro and it feels awesome, but I miss the vibrations. I hope Andromeda has both kb/m and controller support when it comes out.

wilflare

Oh really? I'll have to give this a look. I know I don't have to log into Diablo 3, but Overwatch has always asked me to log in when running through Steam. Pain too because I have 2FA on the account.

I don't think the turn delay can really be "patched out" so to speak. It's a mere side effect of binding the sticks to the touchpad. Much like how Joystick-Mouse mode doesn't provide as smooth inputs as pure mouse. That being said, the problem solves itself if the game would support mixed inputs.

Normally, you'd just select the respective touchpad and adjust the sensitivity bar. But for mouse region you will need to adjust the size of the region itself in order to adjust the sensitivity.

I'll give it a try. so do I increase or decrease the bar for higher sensitivity?

hmm do you guys use the analog stick for movement then? or the left touchpad

Nabs

Hey wilflare, mouse region maps the touchpad to a portion of your screen. In cactus, the cursor goes where your thumb goes. it's different from regular trackpad/trackball aiming. Imagine something like this, but much larger:

4HecnAq.jpg

atr0cious

I'll give it a try. so do I increase or decrease the bar for higher sensitivity?

The first thing I do in any config is bind the movement keys to the left track pad. The pads are so versatile and can be bound in so many ways, especially for gyro, you'd be foolish not to use them. I can hang with decent to good seige players with my steam controller. People cuss me out when they find out what I'm using, it's pretty hilarious.

Spent tonight playing some Cities: Skylines, and I'm amazed. I actually haven't played a management sim in years, so it took a bit for me to get into the rhythm, but it's a ton of fun once you do. On top of that, the Steam Controller plays so nicely with the game. I spent some time with the default binds to learn the vital controls, then built my own binds from there. Thankfully the game isn't too reliant on key bindings, so I mapped what I could to some touch menus. I put most of my time into properly configuring the trackpad, and once it's set up, it feels so natural. I've seen a lot of people say it's sluggish compared to an actual mouse when using it in games of this genre, but I'm not feeling it. It works great, and I even turned off trackball mode since the game is so chill. I saw no real issues repositioning my thumb when I ran out of space. There's also something charming about playing a game like this on a TV. I didn't really need to adjust the HUD at 1080p, which was cool. It worked just about right from the get-go, and I never felt like I was missing anything throughout my time with the game.

My only complaint is that the game has analog movement, but it's locked away inside some dev tools, and the game seems to lock you out of achievements while enabling the menu. Sucks, because in a game like this, you're not really getting any unfair advantage with analog movement. It still feels really nice to use though, especially considering the default speed is a bit fast, and you can't really tune your panning with digital controls.

In top-down shooters, the game records the location of the analog stick specifically, rather than calculating a set speed based on how far it's pushed like in a 3D shooter. Setting the trackpad to right analog stick emulation doesn't come with the delay mouse joystick has, because of the way this genre handles the right analog stick for aiming. It's practically a confined mouse cursor. The problem with AAC is that Androids have a max turn speed when using a controller. As I mentioned earlier, I've played a couple of top-down shooters that don't limit your turn speed like this, and it feels about as 1:1 as a mouse, so it's definitely not a problem on the controller's side, it was just a weird developer choice.

Differs from person to person. The pads aren't bad for movement if you take the time to learn them, but they always felt sort of alien to me, and you get no real advantage by using them. Personally, I find the analog stick a lot more familiar and comfortable, so I use that.

deadfolk

It seems I'm in the minority, but it works for be if I add the Overwatch Launcher as a shortcut. Then I only have to click the Play button when it pops up. Probably worth a try for you.

Over-Run

Has there been any word on when we can expect the overhaul of the config rating stuff?
I hate as it is (I mean you can't even view a full description of a config).
I can't wait for it to be overhauled

coopolon

Has there been any word on when we can expect the overhaul of the config rating stuff?
I hate as it is (I mean you can't even view a full description of a config).
I can't wait for it to be overhauled

This is very frustrating. As someone who doesn't want to spend a ton of time designing a config for every game, the lack of any rating system is really discouraging. Are the ones on top now still the highest used and they just took away the user number, or is there no order now?

riflen

If the touchpad feels "sluggish" in mouse mode, try reducing or disabling smoothing. This feature adds significant latency. I have to turn it off completely to play comfortably.

Over-Run

This is very frustrating. As someone who doesn't want to spend a ton of time designing a config for every game, the lack of any rating system is really discouraging. Are the ones on top now still the highest used and they just took away the user number, or is there no order now?

I don't think anything has changed its just always the most used one. No way to search for different ones, or organize by rating or anything. Main thing it needs is a rating system I think

Lork

The latest update fixed PS4 controller support and it seems to work well enough, though you have to go in and fix Valve's utterly baffling decision to leave the d-pad unbound and have you control BPM with the analog stick. Making a PS4 config for a game screws up your Steam Controller config for that game though, so watch out for that.

What do people use to connect a PS4 controller wirelessly? Is there a recommended solution?

Big Nikus

...I will say, and I love the concept and configurability of the controller, but having its functionality tied to Big Picture Mode is a nightmare. BPM crashes on me semi-regularly, leaving the game running but my controller inoperable - if I power cycle the controller, it comes back up as a dInput device with none of my bindings.

Quite the house of cards they've built. I'll keep using it, but damn if it isn't frustrating every time it happens.

Oh, so that's what happened... I was kicked off a match in Overwatch because of this -_-
Also, sometimes when I press the LB button it brings up the BPM menu... what's up with that ? It doesn't happen everytime, I can play for 20 minutes using the LB button a lot and suddenly out of nowhere it will bring up BPM. In the middle of a match it's infuriating.

Knurek

This.
This so much.
Why is this still a thing (close to) two years after release?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I use BPM exclusively and I don't have these issues. Sorry :(

Nzyme32

I use BPM exclusively and I don't have these issues. Sorry :(

Literally got the same error I've been getting since launch intermitently across both a potato laptop and my top end rig, pretty much equally:

"D3D Device was removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED, this usually indicated you removed the device at runtime or performed a driver upgrade while running. Big Picture must exit"

As the others describe, it is the same issue where BPM locks up and quits out, the Steam Controller will be frozen and you can't really do shit. On other occasions this happens and then SteamWebHelper or other things will crash Steam entirely, but your game will still be stuck yet running.

It is infuriating and with little pattern.

Tealmann

Has Valve ever given an update on if they'll let use use "Xbox" buttons in the desktop config?
I've wanted that since the Steam Controller came out, but now that DS4's are thrown into the mix, it's insane that I can't use my controller AS a controller without launching through steam.

Nzyme32

Has Valve ever given an update on if they'll let use use "Xbox" buttons in the desktop config?
I've wanted that since the Steam Controller came out, but now that DS4's are thrown into the mix, it's insane that I can't use my controller AS a controller without launching through steam.

I'm not quite sure what your getting at. The desktop config requires Steam to determine what the bindings are, and you can set them to xbox buttons, but Steam would still be required.

What I think you might mean is the "lizard mode" which has a predefined set of keys / mouse input when attached to anything by default, but that's it since the controller is detected by whatever device you plug it into as a HID device / mouse keyboard thing. There is no way to reprogram that. I'd guess it is part of the firmware of the controller or something. But yeah, it would be nice to be able to reprogram that - or better still have programmable memory in there so you could have several binding sets as backups - which would be ideal for so many things where you don't need all the configurability all the time.

Sophia

It's very unlikely that there will ever be a re-programmable Lizard mode. For one, Valve probably doesn't want the default configuration to be messed up in case the user has to reconfigure say.... a Steam Machine. For another, a re-programmable Lizard mode could open the controller up to behavior Valve may not want. Like using it on the Xbox 360/One and giving players and unfair advantage.

Unai

I'm not quite sure what your getting at. The desktop config requires Steam to determine what the bindings are, and you can set them to xbox buttons, but Steam would still be required.

What I think you might mean is the "lizard mode" which has a predefined set of keys / mouse input when attached to anything by default, but that's it since the controller is detected by whatever device you plug it into as a HID device / mouse keyboard thing. There is no way to reprogram that. I'd guess it is part of the firmware of the controller or something. But yeah, it would be nice to be able to reprogram that - or better still have programmable memory in there so you could have several binding sets as backups - which would be ideal for so many things where you don't need all the configurability all the time.

It's very unlikely that there will ever be a re-programmable Lizard mode. For one, Valve probably doesn't want the default configuration to be messed up in case the user has to reconfigure say.... a Steam Machine. For another, a re-programmable Lizard mode could open the controller up to behavior Valve may not want. Like using it on the Xbox 360/One and giving players and unfair advantage.

No, I think he wants to literally map xbox buttons in the desktop settings. That's not possible today, we can only map keyboard, mouse and those special actions like volume. Chances are that even UWP games would work with desktop settings.

5y9FQPQ.png

Sophia

No, I think he wants to literally map xbox buttons in the desktop settings. That's not possible today, we can only map keyboard, mouse and those special actions like volume. Chances are that even UWP games would work with desktop settings.

Ah, yeah. Would be nice for that, but I wonder if UWP is exactly the reason they don't allow it? Who knows...

Nzyme32

5y9FQPQ.png

Ah, yeah. Would be nice for that, but I wonder if UWP is exactly the reason they don't allow it? Who knows...

Actually, this might be the solution:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamContr...output_for_uwp_games/?st=iw8fxn10&sh=704680a8

Tealmann

No, I think he wants to literally map xbox buttons in the desktop settings.

Yes that's exactly what I mean. I want to be able to play games that have controller support outside of steam. Gog, Uplay, Emulators, UWP, etc.
I know you can just launch all of them through Steam but I really don't want to do that. I'd rather just have Windows think that my DS4 is a 360 controller.

That's nice and all, but it'd be better for Valve to just let us set the desktop config so we don't need another program running.

Literally got the same error I've been getting since launch intermitently across both a potato laptop and my top end rig, pretty much equally:

"D3D Device was removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED, this usually indicated you removed the device at runtime or performed a driver upgrade while running. Big Picture must exit"

As the others describe, it is the same issue where BPM locks up and quits out, the Steam Controller will be frozen and you can't really do shit. On other occasions this happens and then SteamWebHelper or other things will crash Steam entirely, but your game will still be stuck yet running.

It is infuriating and with little pattern.

Looking into it, I can only imagine it's because Steam BPM can often spike in terms of memory usage, and sometimes the OS just kicks it out of memory. After a while I just had to stop using BPM became it's almost always bound to happen with me.

If the touchpad feels "sluggish" in mouse mode, try reducing or disabling smoothing. This feature adds significant latency. I have to turn it off completely to play comfortably.
Been saying this for a while now, thanks for spreading the word! I think the fact that it's enabled by default is a big reason why people walk out with negative impressions of the device, especially when it comes to the trackpad. I'm probably the only person who doesn't use gyro, and it would've been an impossible task if I had never turned off smoothing. No idea who at Valve thought it'd be such a good idea to enable by default, let alone crank up so high.

Something else that helps is raising the trackpad sensitivity to a high setting, and lowering in-game sensitivity. Made a post about it earlier this week, actually.

Yeah, I used to keep trackpad sensitivity low, but lately I've cranked it up to 20 ticks, and adjusted in-game sensitivity from there (I like setting it so that a swipe on the pad from left to right does a full 180). Totally worth it, especially when it comes to the resolution that it adds to the trackpad.

Again, as someone who sticks with the trackpad, this made a world of difference, and I'm sure there's some benefit for gyro to gain from low in-game sensitivity. You'd expect this configuration to make the trackpad a jittery mess, but I find it surprisingly smooth and responsive. No idea if raising it would make it unmanagable, but the feeling of ignored adjustments isn't there at all anymore, so I didn't bother testing it any further.

Nzyme32

That's nice and all, but it'd be better for Valve to just let us set the desktop config so we don't need another program running.

Yeah, like I said, they should.

Looking into it, I can only imagine it's because Steam BPM can often spike in terms of memory usage, and sometimes the OS just kicks it out of memory. After a while I just had to stop using BPM became it's almost always bound to happen with me.

Yeah. It seems completely random to me. It happens much less frequently for me these days, but it still inevitably will happen and is infuriating when it does. Often I will give up on the game and the controller out of frustration when it does happen, since most of the time it happens, Steam will have quit entirely anyway and the controller needs a hard shut off to even respond again.

Top Bottom