• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Sophia

My Steam Controller was delivered today from Amazon. Going to spend some time messing around with it. I have more 2D games than 3D ones but I wanted an all-around wireless solution that would let me play pretty much any kind of game at a distance since I use my laptop PC more like a console and don't like playing at my desk. Plus I just want something...different, y'know?

I'll look up some tips regarding 2D configuration, FPS config, etc. I imagine this thread is a good resource.

Are there any games (or kinds of games) on Steam that are not compatible? Might be a weird question.

The only thing that's really truly incompatible are games off the MS Store and possibly some old quirky non-steam titles.

Everything on Steam should work with it, and you can get it working with almost anything else non-steam.

Nabs

GTA V with first person mode and gyro steering is kind of amazing. I'm still trying to learn what all these options do, but I'm definitely getting somewhere.

Speaking of Gyro Steering, someone is creating a racing wheel mod for the controller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyVBBl-O5n8

I hope you like it! Make sure to give it a good long chance; the controller can actually be very off-putting at first.

I'd say it pretty much works with everything. I can't really think of a game where you couldn't come up with a configuration. Twin-stick shooters might not be ideal, but I've never tried one.

It all depends on how good mouse support is. Twin-Stick Shooters + Mouse Region = Perfection.

Ploid 3.0

I'm kind of jealous linux users get drivers and a customization UI for their steam controllers. Hope it's possible in the future for PC. I need to get into linux someday. I only messed with it on PS3.

And I hope games from now on support simultaneous gamepad + mouse/KB support.

Ploid 3.0

So what kind of games would be better on this controller compared to a DS4. Also, can I use the USB dongle with a DS4?

When you get the time watch this, I remember seeing it and it kinda gave me a general idea of what games are good for it, or rather when is a good use of the controller (if you aren't at a desk, or want to kick back). It takes getting used to, and a open mind it seems. The list in this video is more of a top 10 games to learn the controller with. Low stress games, play at your own pace, training wheels.

Top 10 Games to Play on the Steam Controller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWf-q0FxTBM

1. System Shock II (Irrational made it easy to setup steam controller with it)

2. Civilization V (Relaxing and natural)

3. Torchlight II - ARPG

4. Fighting Games (After Axiom Verge's training, you will be more comfortable with the D-Touch Pad. Take it up a notch and mess around with fighting games)

5. Axiom Verge (Same as Trine, but more of an advanced learning level)

6. Assault Android Cactus (mouse region)

7. Portal 2 (default setup from valve is good. There's a reason they bundled it with the controller. Good training tool for FPS games with the controller)

8. Trine (excellent intro to platformers on the controller. Mouse touch pad training)

9. Project cars (racing? He said Project Cars because of the controller is quite the versatile piece of equipment. "Shit that works so well it's surprising")

10. Action adventure games

LogicStep

When you get the time watch this, I remember seeing it and it kinda gave me a general idea of what games are good for it, or rather when is a good use of the controller (if you aren't at a desk, or want to kick back). It takes getting used to, and a open mind it seems. The list in this video is more of a top 10 games to learn the controller with. Low stress games, play at your own pace, training wheels.

Top 10 Games to Play on the Steam Controller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWf-q0FxTBM

1. System Shock II (Irrational made it easy to setup steam controller with it)

2. Civilization V (Relaxing and natural)

3. Torchlight II - ARPG

4. Fighting Games (After Axiom Verge's training, you will be more comfortable with the D-Touch Pad. Take it up a notch and mess around with fighting games)

5. Axiom Verge (Same as Trine, but more of an advanced learning level)

6. Assault Android Cactus (mouse region)

7. Portal 2 (default setup from valve is good. There's a reason they bundled it with the controller. Good training tool for FPS games with the controller)

8. Trine (excellent intro to platformers on the controller. Mouse touch pad training)

9. Project cars (racing? He said Project Cars because of the controller is quite the versatile piece of equipment. "Shit that works so well it's surprising")

10. Action adventure games
Well that pretty much sold me on it. It's what I thought when I first saw it. Looks like the controller is amazing but has a learning curve that once you master it'll handle better than a traditional controller. Don't know if I'm off the mark but that's the impression I get.

Ploid 3.0

Well that pretty much sold me on it. It's what I thought when I first saw it. Looks like the controller is amazing but has a learning curve that once you master it'll handle better than a traditional controller. Don't know if I'm off the mark but that's the impression I get.

Normal PS4, or Xbox controller possibly, especially with the crazy customization, and range of use to fit what you're comfortable with if you get accustomed to the touch pads. Though I'll have to see for fighting games. The face buttons being so low, and the touch d-pad may be a problem for me. I'll have mine tomorrow, I researched it a lot before ordering it. I hope it feels ok with fighters, my poor DS3 took a beating from all the fighting games I played. It's funny, I never stuck with the arcade stick, but only because it was so much clicking, and it was only useful for some of my fighting games.

It won't top a keyboard and mouse, arcade stick*, or racing wheel setup. Though I plan to use it over a keyboard and mouse away from the desktop.

*Some people stick to controllers even with access to learn fighting sticks (rare FGC participant). Though I'm not sure how well the steam controller would do for a fight pad.

Oreoleo

That's pretty much right on the money. The learning curve for both the physical feel of the controller, but also learning the depth of options for customization to get games configured *just right* so they play perfectly is a high hurdle for many. It's really something you have to learn. But once you get to that level it's absolutely the best controller on the market, I don't care what anyone says. (Edit: Though obviously more specific setups like arcade sticks or racing wheels will serve their genres better.)

Nabs

Normal PS4, or Xbox controller possibly, especially with the crazy customization, and range of use to fit what you're comfortable with if you get accustomed to the touch pads. Though I'll have to see for fighting games. The face buttons being so low, and the touch d-pad may be a problem for me. I'll have mine tomorrow, I researched it a lot before ordering it. I hope it feels ok with fighters, my poor DS3 took a beating from all the fighting games I played. It's funny, I never stuck with the arcade stick, but only because it was so much clicking, and it was only useful for some of my fighting games.

It won't top a keyboard and mouse, arcade stick*, or racing wheel setup. Though I plan to use it over a keyboard and mouse away from the desktop.

*Some people stick to controllers even with access to learn fighting sticks (rare FGC participant). Though I'm not sure how well the steam controller would do for a fight pad.

I feel that the left touchpad works nicely in fighters once you disable the need to click. I'm not a fan of controller buttons in fighters, so nothing changes there for me. I once tried out a radial menu setup in skullgirls, where you can just touch a part of touchpad to perform an action. It wasn't bad at all. I even started using that in other non-fighting games.

Bought myself one of these recently! It's really grown on me; once you get past the learning curve, you can do some amazing customization! I cannot stress how great it worked for Enter the Gungeon. My old JoyToKey setup barely functioned; the screen suffered from strange jumps and jerks when I attempted to walk, and my aim was horrid. Now, I've set up a mouse region around my character, emulating the feel of a twin-stick shooter. It's been so helpful, in fact, that I finally conquered the first floor that had been confounding me for weeks! Wholeheartedly recommended this controller to anyone who doesn't mind a bit of setup! I also really like the haptic feedback; it's a nice touch.

Nzyme32

I feel that the left touchpad works nicely in fighters once you disable the need to click. I'm not a fan of controller buttons in fighters, so nothing changes there for me. I once tried out a radial menu setup in skullgirls, where you can just touch a part of touchpad to perform an action. It wasn't bad at all. I even started using that in other non-fighting games.

Yeah definitely agree. I've also found it a huge help to only follow the top edge of the x axis dpad marks and the right edge of the y axis dpad marks. Realising this was when I quickly adjusted to both dpad on touch and on click since at least for me, my thumb will contact more than the area I'd sense. The "flab" of my thumb on the left pad will contact left and down of where I feel the guide lines, so that adjustment makes things super easy.

Generally I reduce the deadzone from default by about a third of what it was and just do slight rolls of my thumb or whatever feels natural. Got through KI (snes) and MK9 without issue and managing all the same combos / fatalities. Much better than the 360 pad, but then again most things are. Pretty much able to play as well as the snes controller for KI.

LogicStep

Can I use the controller to control the mouse in Windows? Like, instead of a wireless mouse use the controller to use my computer at my TV? Browsing, videos?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Can I use the controller to control the mouse in Windows? Like, instead of a wireless mouse use the controller to use my computer at my TV? Browsing, videos?

Yes. How good the controller is at replacing casual mousing is something that isn't praised enough. Beyond anything else, it really is a perfect controller for an HTPC.

Nzyme32

Yes. I've been using it in the lounge pretty much exclusively to control both the PC outside of steam and within it and other clients. It's extremely good for HTPC usage, especially with the different layouts and shortcuts you can have to specific desktop functions and tools like the keyboard

Ploid 3.0

Yes, I also intend to do this when I'm not at a desk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8L4nL_NrgY Not sure if you need that app though. It was just the only video I remember seeing someone control their desktop with the controller. I intend on using it to control the mouse and such myself. I used to control my computer with a controller years ago before sleep, browsing gaf simple stuff.

Paragon

Yes, you can use it to control the desktop as a mouse and if Steam is running you can bring up its on-screen keyboard and customize the controller bindings to whatever you like. E.g. making one of the touchpads work as a circular scroll-wheel like the old iPods.
If Steam is not running the controller defaults to "lizard mode" which has a basic control set with the right touchpad assigned as a mouse, arrow keys bound to the stick, and enter/esc/tab bound to the other buttons.

maped

Neo Member
Yes. How good the controller is at replacing casual mousing is something that isn't praised enough. Beyond anything else, it really is a perfect controller for an HTPC.

This is so very true, I've been using a htpc as my primary media source for ten years and Steam controller is by far the most convenient, versatile and accurate thing I've come across. With a bit of work on unifying your most used shortcuts between programs and learning to use mouse gestures on browser, it's pretty much neck and neck to using a mouse. And even if the keyboard naturally loses to using an actual keyboard, it's still one of the best on-screen/touch-kb executions out there. I know this sounds like gushing, but it really can't be overstated how well it works. Using the controller on desktop is also a great way to familiarize yourself with the hardware and software customizations in a less stressful and frustrating situation.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Is there any chance we'll ever see a new/different version of the controller? In theory I love it, it would be my controller of choice.....if it wasn't for the placement of the left analog stick. I just can't deal with it. I'm not saying it's shit, but I just don't feel comfortable at all. If they just swapped the D-pad and the left analog stick, this would be my dream controller.

I've been having an issue with my analog stick when playing Afterbirth for a few weeks now, it seems like there's some kind of interruption between input and in-game output. It's getting really common to be moving around and suddenly my character just stops and I have to recenter the stick before input is recognized again.

Am I gonna need to open my controller up and tinker with it? I'm not sure what's causing this other than heavy use, I've never dropped the controller and my throwing days are 20+ years behind me.

Ploid 3.0

I've been having an issue with my analog stick when playing Afterbirth for a few weeks now, it seems like there's some kind of interruption between input and in-game output. It's getting really common to be moving around and suddenly my character just stops and I have to recenter the stick before input is recognized again.

Am I gonna need to open my controller up and tinker with it? I'm not sure what's causing this other than heavy use, I've never dropped the controller and my throwing days are 20+ years behind me.

Is it only that game? Could be a software situation that may cause conflicts, or a bug. It sounds like you've played the game for a while with no problems and now suddenly it started to act up. Did you try it with other games?

I watched a video with a guy having analog problems or something. It was just one game though (Star Citizen). It would flip the camera around in third person view while walking.

Did a quick google, and only saw a deadzone issue with someone playing Binding of Issac Afterbirth (drifting). What do you expect to find when taking the controller apart? Do you hear rattling like a loose piece of plastic?

Paragon

Is there any chance we'll ever see a new/different version of the controller? In theory I love it, it would be my controller of choice.....if it wasn't for the placement of the left analog stick. I just can't deal with it. I'm not saying it's shit, but I just don't feel comfortable at all. If they just swapped the D-pad and the left analog stick, this would be my dream controller.
I'm sure there will eventually be a revision, but I don't expect the analog stick to move.
The analog stick is only there as a comfort measure for people new to the controller. It's not a primary input.
I've switched over to using the touchpad in its place in nearly every game now.
It is supremely comfortable to have your bindings set up so that your thumbs are on the touchpads, index/middle fingers on the shoulder buttons/triggers, fourth/fifth digits on the grip buttons, and they never move off them.
Once you have a better understanding of what you can do with the controller via mode shifting and action sets you can start thinking outside the box with the way that you bind actions and it really changes things for the better.
I don't have any issues using the analog stick, but the thing is that you might have to force yourself to play through a game without it before it clicks, and you will probably spend a decent amount of time tweaking your config until you find what feels right. A third-person game works well for this.
I couldn't believe how different the Tomb Raider reboot felt when I compared my custom Steam Controller config that I had finished the game with to a DualShock 4 using regular XInput bindings. Almost made me never want to touch a regular controller again.

I haven't experienced those issues with it, but try switching to or from the Steam beta branch and see if that helps.
Maybe try calibrating the controller too, it's in the big picture controller options.

Has anyone managed to activate the joystick support in System Shock 2? I don't care for mapping actual buttons or anything, all I want is analog movement. It seems like it at least had it initially, as there is an option in the main menu for joysticks.

My only gripe with the left analog is in games with quicktime events that require the player to waggle it left and right. It's at a really weird angle that makes it a hard action to perform.

The analog stick is only there as a comfort measure for people new to the controller. It's not a primary input.
I know this was Valve's plan from the beginning, but I also feel it is subjective. I definitely prefer using the analog stick for movement, regardless of the game. Left pad can definitely muster up nice movement emulation, but the fact that it's static just doesn't feel right to me. Not even the haptic feedback can really make up for it; I need a clearly defined center to my movement input, and an analog stick feels so natural in that regard.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm sure there will eventually be a revision, but I don't expect the analog stick to move.
I've switched over to using the touchpad in its place in nearly every game now.

I'm talking about the left analog stick tho, not the right one
Edit: I think I'm having a brain freeze, there isn't a right analog stick obviously, duh.
It never really occurred to me to use the touchpad that way (I know...), I will try that, thanks.

My only gripe with the left analog is in games with quicktime events that require the player to waggle it left and right. It's at a really weird angle that makes it a hard action to perform.

I just can't deal with it for some reason. Same with the Dual Shock 4. I have no idea why that is.

Well, just ordered one.
For £27.99 (+£2.95 shipping) via GAME.co.uk , it's worth it.
Really excited to try Cities Skylines and other "KB+M" games with it.
I'm a XB1 Steam BPM user 99% of my game time. :)

I just can't deal with it for some reason. Same with the Dual Shock 4. I have no idea why that is.
You get used to it, but having it up top would be ideal. Though as stated already, a revision is unlikely since Valve's focus is on the pads. I couldn't really develop a preference with the left pad for movement, but it's definitely subjective. I hope you have better luck with it than me!

Really excited to try Cities Skylines and other "KB+M" games with it.
You're going to love it. I've played Skylines exclusively with it, and it feels incredibly natural. Having it up on my television only added to the experience. Hopefully you find time to try it with more traditional games, as well! It is my go-to for anything in a 3D environment.

Paragon

Has anyone managed to activate the joystick support in System Shock 2? I don't care for mapping actual buttons or anything, all I want is analog movement. It seems like it at least had it initially, as there is an option in the main menu for joysticks.
Unfortunately it's so old that it uses DirectInput not XInput, and the Steam Controller only supports the latter.
I've contacted Valve a few times requesting DInput support for older games. Hopefully they will eventually add it as an option.

So, I actually hate QTE prompts.
What I did with my Tomb Raider bindings was use an activator so that when I click in the left stick it would cycle between left/right inputs for the QTEs.
May not work for every game, especially if you're actually using the stick for movement and need it bound to something else, but it worked well for me.

tr-2013ztu4g.png

tr-qte9yugi.png

I do wish bindings could be better-labelled than they are here, as you don't really get an idea of all the mode shifting that I have assigned with this config, or what all the buttons do.

I know this was Valve's plan from the beginning, but I also feel it is subjective. I definitely prefer using the analog stick for movement, regardless of the game. Left pad can definitely muster up nice movement emulation, but the fact that it's static just doesn't feel right to me. Not even the haptic feedback can really make up for it; I need a clearly defined center to my movement input, and an analog stick feels so natural in that regard.
Yeah, I do understand that feeling. I'm still not comfortable using the touchpad to control cars in open-world or racing games due to the lack of a center-spring to provide tension.
And actually enabling haptics for the analog stick can feel good in some games, like it has even more tension than it really does.
I don't find it uncomfortable to use the analog stick on the controller at all though. I get a pain/numbness in my left thumb with a DualShock 4 after a while now, but that's not been an issue with the Steam Controller.
I do agree that its position is awkward for QTEs which have you mash the stick left/right.

When you use adaptive-centering on the touchpad they try to emulate the feeling of having a center spring, but it doesn't quite work for me.
The other issue that I have with adaptive centering is that it starts out well, with the center of the "stick" being wherever you place your thumb on the touchpad.
But it will correct itself as you move your thumb around so that the center of the stick returns to being dead-center of the touchpad if you don't release your thumb.
What I think would work better is if it was more like mobile games where the virtual stick has a fixed radius and gets dragged around by your thumb. So the center position is never in a fixed location on the touchpad, but your movement - e.g. moving from left to right - always has a fixed distance.
So I tend to use analog emulation without adaptive centering, as I prefer how that feels in most games. I hope they add another option to adaptive centering though.

I don't like the default config for the touchpads as an analog stick either.
I pull in the outer deadzone so that I only have to move my thumb a smaller amount, more like an actual analog stick.
What I also like is binding sprint controls to the outer ring.
That way you don't have to click a stick or hold a button to sprint in games, you just move your thumb closer to the edge of the touchpad.
If you get this right, it feels very natural to do, but is not something you will hit by accident.
In action games like Darksiders, I have the very edge bound to the dash action which is quicker as a reactionary input for me, and frees up another button.
You could technically do that sort of thing on the real analog stick too, but the size is too small for it to work well and I always activate the outer binding unintentionally.

In games which use the D-Pad for weapon selection, I then have the touchpad click set to mode-shift to a D-Pad or Radial Menu so that I can quickly switch weapons without having to lift my thumb off the pad at all.
It's things like that which you might not be thinking of until you've used the controller for a while and fully explored all the options available to you.

Another thing in my Tomb Raider config is that the left trigger aims down the sights, and then clicking the trigger in toggles the zoom.
So instead of using two separate bindings for that, it's all on the one trigger.
And I'm also using mode shifting so that the gyro sensitivity changes depending on whether you're holding the left trigger or clicking it in to zoom.
It also switches the input from Mouse-Like Joystick to Mouse aiming when you pull the trigger, since Tomb Raider doesn't handle mixed inputs properly and the mouse only works when you're aiming down the sights.

You don't have to get complicated like this at all, but I mean this as more of an example of the sort of depth you can go to with a config.

Is it only that game? Could be a software situation that may cause conflicts, or a bug. It sounds like you've played the game for a while with no problems and now suddenly it started to act up. Did you try it with other games?

I watched a video with a guy having analog problems or something. It was just one game though (Star Citizen). It would flip the camera around in third person view while walking.

Did a quick google, and only saw a deadzone issue with someone playing Binding of Issac Afterbirth (drifting). What do you expect to find when taking the controller apart? Do you hear rattling like a loose piece of plastic?

I tested a few games and yeah it seems to be specific to Afterbirth.

I was just overthinking out loud about taking it apart, there's no rattle or anything.

so is there anybody out there modding steam controllers? personally I'd like the ABXY buttons to be backlit with their respective colors, like on the Razer Onza. But with the ability to dim the light the same way the steam button logo can be dimmed.

Unfortunately it's so old that it uses DirectInput not XInput, and the Steam Controller only supports the latter.
I've contacted Valve a few times requesting DInput support for older games. Hopefully they will eventually add it as an option.
Dinput-only games have worked fine for me in the past. Quake 1 and 2 were both limited to Dinput, but they managed to read the left stick axis somehow. Maybe it is a game-by-game basis, but I just assumed I was doing something wrong.

You don't have to get complicated like this at all, but I mean this as more of an example of the sort of depth you can go to with a config.
These are lovely examples, and I don't think it's bad to get this complicated at all. Definitely one of the strengths of the controller. However, I personally like to get as simple as possible with my configs. As long as it feels like a traditional controller with the added features of the grips/right pad, I'm satisfied. I think it works out well in my case, too; when I've shown the controller to friends or family, it's easier for them to pick up and play since the button prompts cover the important stuff, and anything else I need to mention is brief.

Paragon

These are lovely examples, and I don't think it's bad to get this complicated at all. Definitely one of the strengths of the controller. However, I personally like to get as simple as possible with my configs. As long as it feels like a traditional controller with the added features of the grips/right pad, I'm satisfied. I think it works out well in my case, too; when I've shown the controller to friends or family, it's easier for them to pick up and play since the button prompts cover the important stuff, and anything else I need to mention is brief.
Well that's the thing - it takes a complicated configuration to make the controls simple.
If anything, the Tomb Raider config is simpler than the game's standard controls, but it requires mode shifts and activators to achieve that.

Sophia

What matters is how natural the configuration feels. I've seen a handful of configurations here and there that are complex, but completely unwieldy. On the other hand, I've also seen complex ones that work perfectly too so...

TheRed

Definitely, it does take time to get used to and also lots of tinkering. But when you do get it it feels fantastic and you won't want to go back. Also don't let people say it's not good for shooters. It's basically all I use it for even over all the cool stuff like Cities Skylines and other games like that being able to work on controller.

I have some vids saved from Black Ops 3 and Titanfall 2, you can see where you can get with it even though it'll feel very strange at first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2diY10hotg&t=2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi7BOjzT1ks

I'm gonna reinstall DOOM and try to record some of that too since I beat that whole game on the hard difficulty with it.
I've played hundreds of hours of shooters with it and it is definitely great at it.

Valero

Banned
So I want to buy one especially since it's on sale but I wanted to know how is it for Fighting games. If anybody has any experience using it different fighters, I would appreciate your opinion on it.

Well that's the thing - it takes a complicated configuration to make the controls simple.
If anything, the Tomb Raider config is simpler than the game's standard controls, but it requires mode shifts and activators to achieve that.
I don't know, my Tomb Raider binds are pretty much the default with a couple of keyboard keys mapped to the grips, and the right pad swapping between mouse-joystick/mouse, and I didn't really feel like I was missing anything. It's subjective of course, but soft pull/full pull double mappings have always messed me up. I feel I'd like the idea a lot more if a full pull on the triggers required the force of, say, the bumpers. The way the GC controllers did it, the full pull was stiff, and that helped a lot with games like Super Mario Sunshine that required constant adjustment. As is on the SC though, I find myself accidentally pressing too far during hectic situations, so I avoid it altogether. That's something I'd definitely like to see them address in the revision, because it's been done well before.

What matters is how natural the configuration feels. I've seen a handful of configurations here and there that are complex, but completely unwieldy. On the other hand, I've also seen complex ones that work perfectly too so...
Yeah, absolutely. I'm not against mode shifts and activators at all, as long as they're intuitive. You see a ton of modern games do that on their controller binds (not that it's a new development); I personally like the way KF2 hides convenient shortcuts into the face buttons, or through button combinations.

Burny

I do wish games came with well thought out Steam controller support and configurations. The thing offers lots of opportunities for well thought out configuration like that, but it also takes hours of fiddling to configure it for every single game.

Paragon

I had to download the game again and then play for what seemed like a lot more than 15 minutes before it would let me upload, but I've uploaded the config as Tomb Raider (2013) Comfort Bindings if you want to try it.
I don't expect all of the decisions that I made with it to be to everyone's taste but it would be interesting to get some feedback if anyone tries it.
The aiming sensitivity is a lot higher than I thought it would be because I ended up using the gyro almost exclusively when shooting and it actually seemed like you would get attacked from all sides in that game - at least on the hardest difficulty - which required lots of quick aiming.
By the end of the game using that config, I was getting through the combat sections really easily as I was headshotting everything while moving around rather than sitting in one place and taking cover.

One of the reasons that I hadn't uploaded it until now though was because I don't think the labeling system for configs is very good and it can be difficult to fully understand what a community config is actually trying to do as some of the bindings seem to be quite well hidden and you can't just add a note to it.
For example, I have jump bound to the right touchpad when pressed (something I do for most games) and dodge when held.
When you're aiming, you cannot jump or cancel out aiming by pressing jump, so that binding is changed to switch shoulders instead.
But that's buried beneath a mode-shift rather than being listed on the main config page when you look at it, so unless you actually explore the bindings, you wouldn't know that.

Many of the community configs are just so different from one another that it's also difficult to know why that is, and if what you're doing is completely wrong or vice-versa.
I know that it feels good to me but I spent 15 hours tweaking and learning it as I played through the game and it's difficult to distance yourself from that and know whether it is "objectively" good or bad.
I have some early configs that I thought were good but after returning to them a year later I wonder what I was thinking.

I do wish games came with well thought out Steam controller support and configurations. The thing offers lots of opportunities for well thought out configuration like that, but it also takes hours of fiddling to configure it for every single game.
I found that taking the time to really familiarize myself with all of the options that the Steam Controller gives you - and it's a lot more than I initially thought - meant that I can knock up a good config for most games pretty quickly now.
Before I took the time to do that it felt like I was really just experimenting to see what each thing did as I went to use it, rather than starting with an idea of what I wanted to achieve and knowing how to do that.
Creating some of my own templates for controller-based games and keyboard & mouse based games with my own preferences set for things like rotation, haptic feedback, friction, acceleration etc. also saves a lot of time rather than starting with one of Valve's presets and tweaking that how I like for every new game.

Gluka

An acceleration curve ala Reflex would solve so many problems I'm having with aiming.

The high setting just isn't aggressive enough to really let me mix low speed precision with fast broad swipes to my liking.

Enjoying what I've played so far though.

Unai

I don't usually play online shooters, but CS:GO in casual mode is pretty fun with the Steam Controller. I feel that I can usually hold my on while playing with randoms (who probably are equally as bad as I am).

2016-12-2923_40_05-204uupb.jpg

Knurek

Why does Steam lose your saved configs/templates from time to time?
Usually a client restart or two fixes that, but this doesn't change the fact that it's extremely annoying if you're trying to make a config for a new game based on some of your older ones and the bloody thing just does not see them...

Sophia

You ever look at an old configuration you made like a year ago and think "I can do better" now?

Cuz that's what happened when I saw my old Guild Wars 2 configuration. So now I'm using activators and action sets to make something that can be fully controlled without the keyboard. Still a work in process tho.

Standard Gameplay. Touchpad handles profession skills + Elite Skill. Holding the left grip makes the four face buttons handle Utility Skills + Healing Skills.

Press select and it switches off action camera and goes to...

Which allows for easy menu navigation.

SCB3

so GAME here in the UK were selling both the Link and Controller with Case for about £50 ($65-70) so snapped them up, the controller is really hit and miss so far, I decided to try it on Overwatch, it worked fine once configured (kinda weird it doesn't recognise it like a Xbox One controller layout, but more like a weird mouse, but its easily rectified)

Star Wars BF worked fantastically well as did most Steam games though

darkvir

I've been played DOOM with the Steam Controller, it's so so good! I've been really liking it more and more, I completed Dark Souls 3 on PC with it as well.

An acceleration curve ala Reflex would solve so many problems I'm having with aiming.

The high setting just isn't aggressive enough to really let me mix low speed precision with fast broad swipes to my liking.

Enjoying what I've played so far though.

Is Reflex a software? I find that Razer Synapse mouse acceleration works well for me, not sure if it will work without a Razer mouse though.

SCB3

I've been played DOOM with the Steam Controller, it's so so good! I've been really liking it more and more, I completed Dark Souls 3 on PC with it as well.

Hmm, Dark Souls with this could be interesting with the somewhat clicky shoulder buttons

Davey Cakes

I like that the controller can be used for general desktop navigation but I'm a little confused. I thought someone said it can be used without Steam being open? Doesn't seem to be the case for me.

Other annoyances:

Opening some windows seems to disable the controller. For example, settings windows (such as the color calibration window which I use frequently since my PC is fucked up and keeps changing the color scheme and I have to keep reverting).

Some Steam games that aren't compatible don't respond at all, or are inconsistent. Simple stuff like Bit Blaster XL or Particle Mace. It's okay that the games aren't compatible but I can't even control Steam anymore in some cases so I have to use a mouse of have the X360 controller plugged in as a backup.

As for games I've legit tried with the controller:

Refunct is a good example because it's a really basic first person game. I played around with the settings to get acclimated and was REALLY confused at first but over time I started to get it. It was hard to get used to using the left touch pad for anything (as a newbie I always go back to the ol' reliable control stick) but I did fine-tune the right touch pad for better control with track ball mode and high friction. So, thus far my favorite way to use the left touch pad is as a scroll wheel rather than a method of movement.

Axiom Verge was interesting. I absolutely HATED having the right touch pad being used for anything because it's so close to the buttons. I would accidentally touch it all the time. So, I disabled the "weapon swap" function entirely and turned the left touch pad into the weapon selector, requiring click for activation. That was MUCH better. I continue to use the control stick for movement as that's what I'm comfortable with.

The initial battle is just trying to figure out what works in terms of button placement. From there, the fine-tuning is the real challenge in terms of the learning curve and adjustment. But, I'm making some headway. The Steam Controller definitely makes for a learning experience, and that's part of the reason why I'm interested in using it. I can always fall back on my X360 pad but the extensive customization of the Steam Controller is quite alluring because it'll help me gain some technical capability when it comes to controlling my games. It's a powerful device but the options make it a bit daunting.

Also, I'm going to have trouble getting used to anything involving Big Picture mode. Just not a fan.

Top Bottom