• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

I don't really know where to ask this and don't want to start a new thread. I'm confident one of you Steam scholars can help a newbie out.

I recently downloaded Steam for the first time. I'm trying to play KoTOR, and would prefer to use a controller. I don't have the Steam controller, but thought a Dualshock or wired 360 controller would work. As far as I can tell, that doesn't seem possible.. is there a way to work around this?

Unai

I think that only kotor 2 has native controller support. If you have a dualshock 4 is possible to map the controller buttons to keyboard keys using the configuration on steam or even download someone else's settings if someone uploaded it.

Sophia

Pretty sure the PC versions of KOTOR 1/2 don't have controller support. I definitely know KOTOR 1 doesn't, as the PC port came out later and it's UI was redesigned entirely for it.

You will probably have to map the Dualshock 4 to KB/M functionality.

masterkajo

I played a through kotor 1 and 2 using the ds4 controller and the ds4windows program to map the buttons to keyboard inputs. Didn't work 100 smooth (wasd doesn't work well on stick so I mapped it like heavy rain with r2 as walk and right stick was camera movement... a bit like driving a car... after a while you get used to it)

You should be able to do this using ds4 or steam controller and steam overlay now.

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah, it looks like KOTOR 1 doesn't have controller support, but KOTOR 2 had it added later on. Curious that they didn't do both at the same time....

I played a through kotor 1 and 2 using the ds4 controller and the ds4windows program to map the buttons to keyboard inputs. Didn't work 100 smooth (wasd doesn't work well on stick so I mapped it like heavy rain with r2 as walk and right stick was camera movement... a bit like driving a car... after a while you get used to it)

You should be able to do this using ds4 or steam controller and steam overlay now.

Could you possibly explain this to me, but explain it to me like I'm 8 years old? I know literally nothing about configuring my own controls.

Sophia

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah, it looks like KOTOR 1 doesn't have controller support, but KOTOR 2 had it added later on. Curious that they didn't do both at the same time....

KOTOR 2 received a big patch out of nowhere in 2015 that added a ton of support for it. Seems they added it in then.

KOTOR 1 never got a similar patch, unfortunately. Which is a shame, because it really needs it.

Unai

Pretty sure the PC versions of KOTOR 1/2 don't have controller support. I definitely know KOTOR 1 doesn't, as the PC port came out later and it's UI was redesigned entirely for it.

You will probably have to map the Dualshock 4 to KB/M functionality.

KOTOR 2 received a big patch out of nowhere in 2015 that added a ton of support for it. Seems they added it in then.

KOTOR 1 never got a similar patch, unfortunately. Which is a shame, because it really needs it.

Yes, kotor 2 got controller support with the 2015 patch.

masterkajo

Could you possibly explain this to me, but explain it to me like I'm 8 years old? I know literally nothing about configuring my own controls.

I'll try. First things first, if you map wasd to you left stick for movement like you would in any normal game you have a very jerky movement since you do map a 4 way input (wasd) to a stick (which has continuous way of 360 degree input). Meaning if you push forward you walk forward and starting to push slightly right doesn't change that until you reach angles > 45 degrees which instantly makes your character go right. Nothing in between.

So what I did was the following. I had R2 as w which means walking forward. The right stick was the mouse movement so as to move the mouse course over the screen to be able to click things. I think I used either x or R1 as the Left mouse button (you can do either one). The L2 was used to lock the mouse movements to camera control (this is an option ingame) and thus allowed my right stick (if L2 was pressed) to move the camera smoothly like you would do in any third person game. The thing is now, you character always turns his back to the camera meaning by moving the camera, you turn your character. Since pressing R2 means walking forward, your character always walks in the direction you are facing your camera. And since the camera has smooth 360 degree mouse/stick input you have no jerky movement.

Think of it like driving a car a bit. R2 is acceleration and steering would be the right stick (if you also pressed L2). Hope that makes it clear.

Sophia

The non-steam version of FFXIV doesn't seem to detect the Steam Controller on it's own anymore. Neither the SC or Dualshock 4 in SC mode will appear as a controller in game.

It does work if the game detects an Xbox 360 controller form another source, so I've been leaving the DS4 plugged in with DS4 Windows. But it's still unfortunate that I have to do that. : \

The Steam Controller is it's own worst enemy, sometimes.

Knurek

So when I got really annoyed with it once when it happened twice in a row (I think it was binding of isaac) I decided to start the game, then power on the Steam Controller - this applies all the settings you originally had, but without BPM. It's actually now something I got in the habit of doing when I know I have bindings that are perfect and I am with a keyboard - and the binding doesn't use touch menus

In case you didn't knew, there's an option to only load BPM overlay when starting games from BPM.
So, if you have controller enabled and that option ticked, starting a game from client/desktop shortcut will still use standard Steam overlay.

Anyone has some tips for using SC as a pure mouse replacement? I want to play pnc adventure games, DotT Remastered for starters, and the Community configs are kind of crappy.
Should I use trackball mode? Mouse region? Or mix them up, with each touchpad using different settings?

Nzyme32

In case you didn't knew, there's an option to only load BPM overlay when starting games from BPM.
So, if you have controller enabled and that option ticked, starting a game from client/desktop shortcut will still use standard Steam overlay.

Anyone has some tips for using SC as a pure mouse replacement? I want to play pnc adventure games, DotT Remastered for starters, and the Community configs are kind of crappy.
Should I use trackball mode? Mouse region? Or mix them up, with each touchpad using different settings?

Yeah I am aware of that, but my above solution suits how I am currently playing, which is simply using BPM up to the point I have an issue with a particular game (which I am starting to think my be the case for these problems) at which point I just do as above.

Regarding mouse as a pure mouse replacement - I've been using trackball mode all the time. I generally set the sensitivity a bit higher than default since I have enough experience to handle it quite well, but I sometimes switch between medium and low trackball friction depending on the game. When I played through the Starcraft 2 campaign I also had the gyro on for some slight adjustment in the heat of the moment, which worked really well but by the end of the campaign I found myself barely using it. This is obviously the extreme end of things when playing RTS, but for point and click style stuff, you shouldn't need to worry about that.

You can also mess with dual mouse trackballs on each pad, but I haven't been willing to give it enough time to get used to it, so keep reverting to the right pad only.

Nabs

If anyone is playing GTAV single player on Steam, I recommend checking out this Steam Controller Mod: https://github.com/GoldRenard/GTAVSteamControllerNative

It gives it "native" support, allowing you to automatically switch between action sets (Foot/Vehicle/Flying Vehicle). There's one for Menu, but I'm not sure if it switches to that anymore.

Check the instructions on that github page, but here are the basics:

Create a Steam Controller Config with these action sets in this order: Menu, Foot, Vehicle, Flying Vehicle.
Download ScriptHookV and copy the two files into the install dir. Don't bother with the trainer.
Download the most recent version of the mod from that github and paste it in the install folder.

I've only played about an hour with it, and it's pretty cool so far. I was able to add gyro aiming and mouse aim, while also keeping gyro steering while driving. I wish there was a mod that would lock controller icons while using the mouse, but it's not too bad.

I don't know how Rockstar feels about mods, so please remove these files when going online. I'm pretty sure they won't work anyway, but be safe.

Nzyme32

I am so confused about the new Hitman and the Steam Controller. It seems to work perfectly with Mouse & Gamepad combo, yet seemingly all the configs people have made look utterly terrible...

Is this functionality new since a recent patch or something? Regardless, looks like I'll just make up my own bindings that use mouse & gamepad for now and see if I need to change anything later

atr0cious

I am so confused about the new Hitman and the Steam Controller. It seems to work perfectly with Mouse & Gamepad combo, yet seemingly all the configs people have made look utterly terrible...

Is this functionality new since a recent patch or something? Regardless, looks like I'll just make up my own bindings that use mouse & gamepad for now and see if I need to change anything later
The controller binds combine a bunch of functions and the keyboard/mouse combo has them individual, so it's really about just fitting them on the controller comfortably. I think the functionality came out a little later.

I uploaded mine just now if you'd like a look. It's called touchpad movment based binds by bjorntsushiro and it has separate action sets for in game and menu.

Nzyme32

The controller binds combine a bunch of functions and the keyboard/mouse combo has them individual, so it's really about just fitting them on the controller comfortably. I think the functionality came out a little later.

I uploaded mine just now if you'd like a look. It's called touchpad movment based binds by bjorntsushiro and it has separate action sets for in game and menu.

Yeah, but what I found odd is that next to no one is utilising gamepad / keyboard and mouse in combination with each other, which led me to believe it was broken up till some time recently.

Anyway, I'll definitely check yours out, and since everything seems to work interchangeably it should be no problem for me to mix and match what I like

atr0cious

Yeah, but what I found odd is that next to no one is utilising gamepad / keyboard and mouse in combination with each other, which led me to believe it was broken up till some time recently.

Anyway, I'll definitely check yours out, and since everything seems to work interchangeably it should be no problem for me to mix and match what I like
Do you know if hitman has the delay like some games do when switching between input types? That's the only reason i could see it not be adopted at all.

Nzyme32

Do you know if hitman has the delay like some games do when switching between input types? That's the only reason i could see it not be adopted at all.

No I don't think so - although I have had an odd situation with crouching, where on occasion it didn't work at all, but that also appeared to be an issue on the keyboard itself, so I don't know.

Regardless, I uploaded my bindings under the title "Hitman Mouse + Gamepad w/o Issues" (they should be up shortly). The issues I ran into could all be worked around. LB, RB, LS and RS clicks don't work properly when running, but do work when you change run to a keyboard key - which in turn doesn't work with some combinations of buttons - so I worked them all out, and made sure that those get substituted via a mode shift when running (meanwhile others work fine regardless of what you are doing). LB and RB work with keyboard keys attached, so you can still use menus correctly too. Really happy that it all works.

MZ28bHH.png

The only downside is button prompts flicking between input types, but frankly I would rather have that than not use the Steam Controller in this way. Also a slight nudge of the stick puts everything pack in context should I need to check.

Big Nikus

You need to launch the game with Origin closed first, and with the Origin overlay disabled. Let me know if that helps.

It doesn't work for me on Battlefront. I'm not alone in this case it seems. It's strange, I can launch Mass Effect 2 on Origin with the Steam Controller and it works, but nothing happens with Battlefront...

Oreoleo

Was messing with configs for the first time in a while today, did they really remove the ability to independently set haptics settings for anything besides the pads? I liked to have haptics turned off for *everything* except soft pulls on the triggers, and it seems it's not possible to do that anymore unless I'm overlooking something.

Sophia

Was messing with configs for the first time in a while today, did they really remove the ability to independently set haptics settings for anything besides the pads? I liked to have haptics turned off for *everything* except soft pulls on the triggers, and it seems it's not possible to do that anymore unless I'm overlooking something.

It's still there, just been moved. You have to look under the activators for each button. Press start when assigning a button.

Big Nikus

I think one of the last Origin updates fucked up the Steam Controller support. It's not recognized for me anymore. I've got the Origin overlay disabled, added Battlefront as a non-steam game. I also tried with Origin added directly as a non-steam game, still nothing. I'm on Windows 10 btw. Some recent posts on reddit report the same issue.

edit: hah, got it working, it was my fault. I was running Origin as administrator, and you don't want to do that. So, fixed !

Paragon

I think one of the last Origin updates fucked up the Steam Controller support. It's not recognized for me anymore. I've got the Origin overlay disabled, added Battlefront as a non-steam game. I also tried with Origin added directly as a non-steam game, still nothing. I'm on Windows 10 btw. Some recent posts on reddit report the same issue.
It used to work great until they released the new client.
Now it doesn't close itself when you quit a game which means that it doesn't work the next time you try to launch something from Steam, without manually quitting Origin first.
Ever since they released the new client, I've had a lot of cloud save conflicts when launching games too, which gets in the way of the game just starting when launched via Steam.

edit: hah, got it working, it was my fault. I was running Origin as administrator, and you don't want to do that. So, fixed !
Yeah, unless you're also running Steam as an administrator, it can't inject the overlay into processes which are being run as an administrator.
Uplay always gives me about five prompts to run it as an admin every time I try to launch a game with it, and now brings up an error message if you disabled their overlay (which conflicts with Steam's) which means that it's a real pain to get the Steam Controller working with it.
So I refuse to buy anything that uses Uplay now - at least until they fix it. They've been saying that they were going to fix the requirement to run it as an admin for years now though.
I would have liked to play the copy of Watch Dogs 2 that I got with my GPU, but I just can't get it working reliably.

Dinjoralo

Hey, for anyone who's using the Steam Link, how much better has it gotten over the years thanks to software updates? I know when it launched, it was a tad rocky with input delay when it came to games like Rocket League.

Burt

This thing seems pretty great, albeit a little niche for me at the moment. Great for Dolphin, and I've had a lot of success with isometric and isometric-ish games like Underrail and Satellite Reign once I got some custom mappings up and running. I was almost ready to put it up on the shelf for good after the few few sets of community bindings stuck me with left-click on left trigger and right-click on right trigger. Right trigger/Right grip for L/R mouse click all the way.

Haven't gotten used to it for third-person games yet, though. Mouse mode on right pad causes some wicked jittering, and the joystick-camera mode or whatever it's called seems like a serviceable but worse replacement. Half an hour in Dark Souls 3 helped me get the ropes, but I doubt I'll play many of these with it. Shame I didn't have this for the For Honor technical test, would've loved to see how it panned out there.

Hopefully a few years from now oversized UIs will be a standard thing too, because the games that this works best with are also those prone to having the smallest text.

nonnocere

FYI - I was playing Hyper Light Drifter and couldn't get the Steam controller to work on Big Picture mode via Link. Changed the settings in game via wireless keyboard to controller/360. Seems to be fine now.

This thing seems pretty great, albeit a little niche for me at the moment. Great for Dolphin, and I've had a lot of success with isometric and isometric-ish games like Underrail and Satellite Reign once I got some custom mappings up and running. I was almost ready to put it up on the shelf for good after the few few sets of community bindings stuck me with left-click on left trigger and right-click on right trigger. Right trigger/Right grip for L/R mouse click all the way.

Haven't gotten used to it for third-person games yet, though. Mouse mode on right pad causes some wicked jittering, and the joystick-camera mode or whatever it's called seems like a serviceable but worse replacement. Half an hour in Dark Souls 3 helped me get the ropes, but I doubt I'll play many of these with it. Shame I didn't have this for the For Honor technical test, would've loved to see how it panned out there.

Hopefully a few years from now oversized UIs will be a standard thing too, because the games that this works best with are also those prone to having the smallest text.

Early impressions for myself with this thing is pretty dreadful. Maybe I'll get used to it and grow to love it but as of now I cannot fathom where using this controller would be advantageous over an Xbox One Elite or really what kind of game it is particularly designed for sans maybe some legacy titles that did not feature native controller support and even then it feels half-baked at best.

Curiosity got the best of me, hopefully my experience improves over time but it feels super awkward in a lot of ways.

Knurek

Early impressions for myself with this thing is pretty dreadful. Maybe I'll get used to it and grow to love it but as of now I cannot fathom where using this controller would be advantageous over an Xbox One Elite or really what kind of game it is particularly designed for sans maybe some legacy titles that did not feature native controller support and even then it feels half-baked at best.

Try playing Blackwell games (or any other point and click adventure games) on X1 controller, and get back to us.

Try playing Blackwell games (or any other point and click adventure games) on X1 controller, and get back to us.

I don't play or have interest in Blackwell games so I don't know what the Steam controller experience is like with that specific game/genre.

Besides the awkward placement/size of some of the buttons, etc I have yet to find a setting for the right pad that feels good in regards to emulating a mouse or a thumbstick. The biggest issue being when getting to the edge of the radius and having to go back towards the center and swipe/move in that direction again to continue moving the camera in that direction or continually holding at the edge of the pad which produced some unwieldy results as far as control goes.

Unai

I don't play or have interest in Blackwell games so I don't know what the Steam controller experience is like with that specific game/genre.

Besides the awkward placement/size of some of the buttons, etc I have yet to find a setting for the right pad that feels good in regards to emulating a mouse or a thumbstick. The biggest issue being when getting to the edge of the radius and having to go back towards the center and swipe/move in that direction again to continue moving the camera in that direction or continually holding at the edge of the pad which produced some unwieldy results as far as control goes.

I don't like that either. Try trackball in low friction mode. That changed everything for me.

Nzyme32

I don't like that either. Try trackball in low friction mode. That changed everything for me.

Yeah, for third person action stuff, I've been using the low friction mode a whole bunch. Arkham Knight's top binding is a good example of this along with the default Doom binding, though Arkham Knight is restricted to mouse-joystick due to how the game works, while Doom is using the proper mouse input. I'm using the controller for pretty much everything and I can't think of any time a Xbox One controller is better for me. Dpad is the only thing lacking, but even that works out better than the 360 with a little understanding on set up and usage.

The Origin compatibility issue is incredibly annoying. I've been playing Dead Space 3 and in order to play co-op, the Origin overlay needs to be enabled, which means the Steam overlay must be disabled. This forces me to use only keyboard and mouse bindings which, though usable, are not as smooth and somewhat clunky. Having to make sure Origin is closed before launching a game and then manually exiting it afterwards is a bigger annoyance, though.

It's a really really good deal. I'm tempted to get it for no reason at all. Like, it would make a good gift, I guess.

An even better deal is to buy the Steam Controller + Case combo for $35 (HERE) and a Steam Link for $20 (HERE) on Amazon. I did that on Black Friday.

Bolivar687

Banned
I'm playing Crusader Kings 2 on my TV with surround sound...

aBoJroY.jpg

The functionality and binding on this is unlike anything I've seen before. It's kind of a fail for making PC gaming simpler for the living room, it's more about perfecting your own customized controls to completely match your preferences. I'm not impressed with the default or community presets but making my own is incredibly addicting, it's almost like a game unto itself. I created a Crusader Kings setup inspired by how I would expect this game to play if it was officially released on Xbox:

KdMKvBs.jpg

This is taking me back to playing strategy games on the Genesis as a kid. I also played some Division as well and it was easy using the Desktop settings to make a fine tuned experience tweaked exactly to my liking. I still need to find a good right stick/mouse setting because the aiming is a little off and it gets harder with the increased latency on a TV.

Very impressed so far, this is a total game changer for me.

This is taking me back to playing strategy games on the Genesis as a kid. I also played some Division as well and it was easy using the Desktop settings to make a fine tuned experience tweaked exactly to my liking. I still need to find a good right stick/mouse setting because the aiming is a little off and it gets harder with the increased latency on a TV.

This is the most important aspect as it's easy to get the rest of the functionality up and running on the Steam controller.

I wish I knew the exact settings this player was using as it looks like he has pinpoint control...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maHIXv60Euw

...I've looked for this user's profile/settings within BPM profile browser to no avail.

sfried

Has anybody been able to successfully play Assassin's Creed 1 & 2 using the Steam Controller with proper camera "Right Stick" support?

I've tried those games with my Wii U Pro controller (via Mayflash) with guaranteed success, whereas my Stream Controller is treated as if it's some sort of unofficial XBox 360 controller and thus disables analog trigger detection and doesn't sense the right pad. I've tried some of the workarounds listed on those game's respective guides, but to no avail.

I still need to find a good right stick/mouse setting because the aiming is a little off and it gets harder with the increased latency on a TV.
I don't play the Division, but high config sensitivity + low in-game sensitivity, and disabling smoothing altogether makes aiming in any shooter excellent in my experience. I personally like setting sensitivity to 20 in the configuration, and then lowering it in-game until I do a full 180 from the left side to the right side of the trackpad. It adds a lot of resolution to aiming, and I personally haven't had any issues with jitter this way.

Jubenhimer

Having been playing Freedom Planet with the Steam Controller. I have to say it's not bad for 2D games from what I've played. The Right track pad in D-pad mode can be configured to vibrate when changing directions, giving the illusion of a physical D-Pad. It's by no means a perfect solution, but it works well enough from what I've played. I'll have to mess around with it in other 2D games a bit more to see what games work or won't work well with it.

Sophia

Having been playing Freedom Planet with the Steam Controller. I have to say it's not bad for 2D games from what I've played. The Right track pad in D-pad mode can be configured to vibrate when changing directions, giving the illusion of a physical D-Pad. It's by no means a perfect solution, but it works well enough from what I've played. I'll have to mess around with it in other 2D games a bit more to see what games work or won't work well with it.

You may wish to try this suggestion from capy too.

From personal experience, the left pad isn't going to cut it for anything 2D that uses more than two directions. It takes much longer to move your finger from one direction to another than it does on a regular d-pad, or even an analog stick. Stick with the left analog in directional pad mode. I know it sounds ridiculous, but trust me on this. Set the deadzone to about 75% to give yourself some room, and set haptics to high. Haptics make it feel like an arcade stick, and I have had zero issues with it. It feels and works great.

...if you're really hesitant about it though, set the left pad deadzone above half (or whatever gives your thumb enough room to land on a neutral position), and disable click activation. It's the best setting I've found, though I still struggled with it. Mainly because it's such a huge area; I tried it for a week, and couldn't learn the boundaries at all. Minor adjustments would lead to a lot of missteps (which leads to instant death in a lot of 2D games). And press-to-click just doesn't work with vertical directions unless you want to grind your thumb on the left pad constantly, which is very uncomfortable. That's just my experience though. You should still give it a chance to see if you can make it work.

While I have other controllers for 2D games which I use, I actually cleared Darius Burst on a single credit using this setup. It's probably the best solution for those who want to use the Steam Controller for 2D games.

Jubenhimer

You may wish to try this suggestion from capy too.

While I have other controllers for 2D games which I use, I actually cleared Darius Burst on a single credit using this setup. It's probably the best solution for those who want to use the Steam Controller for 2D games.

Thanks, I'll have to try and set that up later.

Curiosity got the best of me, hopefully my experience improves over time but it feels super awkward in a lot of ways.

If it is any consolation, my first few weeks with the controller were awful and I seriously considered selling it and giving up. I've been using it for nine months now and I'm playing all my games with it. Here are three tips that really helped me.

- Empirically I've found out that a good in-game setting for sensitivity with the Steam Controller is one that allows you to turn 90 degrees from your original point of view with a quick swipe, comfortably and without having to raise your finger from the touchpad to finish the motion. Run a first person shooter and try it out, maybe the sweet spot for you is a bit lower or higher but this setting ahould allow you to aim at everything in your field of view and everything else that is a bit outside of it. You can't turn fast with that setting but that's where the next tip comes in.

- As others have said, the best configuration for me was trackball mode with low friction and I experimented with everything. You want relatively low sensitivity on the touchpad to aim with precision but you still need a way to turn quickly. The low friction trackball does exactly that. The sensitivity setting that I described above will allow you to easily execute 180 degree turns by flicking your finger on the touchpad and letting the trackball's momentum take care of the rest. Use high haptics to get a good feel of how the trackball moves and when it slows down. Once you get the hang of it you'll be able to instinctively stop at any point you want by putting your finger down and stopping the trackball at the exact spot.

- The main templates you'll be using are Gamepad with High precision Camera, Gamepad with camera controls and standard keyboard and mouse. For games which don't require high precision like Dark Souls the Gamepad with Camera Controls template work great as it emulates a 360 controller with faster camera movement and extra buttons. For shooters the best template is Gamepad With High Precision Camera for games that support it and then the standard keyboard and mouse template. Don't use the Gamepad with Camera controls template, it's ok but aiming doesn't feel great and many shooters dampen the sensitivity when you aim down sights which will require you to either adjust the normal sensitivity way up or swipe like a mad man.

If you mostly play multiplatform games that feature controller support then you can stick with your existing controllers. But if you also often play mouse and keyboard games or older PC games without controller support then stick with the Steam Controller and you will learn to love it.

Paragon

The most important changes that I found were to:

1. Set trackball friction to low and haptics to medium.

2. Find out what rotation angle suits you. Without trying to compensate for anything, do a sideways swipe on the touchpad.
Is the camera spinning at an upward or downward angle, or going perfectly straight?
If it's moving up or down, you need to change the rotation angle.
The default angle meant that I was having to do an awkward "pulling" motion with my thumb instead of just swiping to the side.
Your thumb shouldn't bend at all. For me, this means turning the rotation angle all the way up. I might even prefer if it could go a bit higher.

3. Now that you've found the right rotation angle, turn the friction vertical scale all the way up. This should mean that swipes are more consistently going to make horizontal turns instead of kind-of-horizontal but creeping up/down.
Even if you have the rotation angle set right, most people aren't machines that are consistent all the time with their inputs.

4. Never use it with a mouse or the controller's gyro, but with the touchpad acceleration set to high works best for me. That way when you adjust sensitivity so that a slow swipe turns 90 degrees, a fast swipe will turn 180.
Without acceleration it's either too sensitive all the time (turning 180 with a swipe) or it doesn't let you turn quickly enough when you need to. (turns 90 with a swipe)
I used to turn off the smoothing because it does make it a bit laggier, but I found that the cursor got too jittery like that. You can turn it down 5-10 notches and that's usually fine though.

5. For some types of game you might like the edge spin which makes it like an analog stick where you can just hold at the edge and it will keep spinning.
I rarely use it though. I don't like it for FPS/TPS.

Davey Cakes

My Steam Controller was delivered today from Amazon. Going to spend some time messing around with it. I have more 2D games than 3D ones but I wanted an all-around wireless solution that would let me play pretty much any kind of game at a distance since I use my laptop PC more like a console and don't like playing at my desk. Plus I just want something...different, y'know?

I'll look up some tips regarding 2D configuration, FPS config, etc. I imagine this thread is a good resource.

Are there any games (or kinds of games) on Steam that are not compatible? Might be a weird question.

My Steam Controller was delivered today from Amazon. Going to spend some time messing around with it. I have more 2D games than 3D ones but I wanted an all-around wireless solution that would let me play pretty much any kind of game at a distance since I use my laptop PC more like a console and don't like playing at my desk. Plus I just want something...different.

I'll look up some tips regarding 2D configuration.

Are there any games (or kinds of games) on Steam that are not compatible? Might be a weird question.

I hope you like it! Make sure to give it a good long chance; the controller can actually be very off-putting at first.

I'd say it pretty much works with everything. I can't really think of a game where you couldn't come up with a configuration. Twin-stick shooters might not be ideal, but I've never tried one.

Top Bottom