• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Lork

Yeah, like I said, they should.

Yeah. It seems completely random to me. It happens much less frequently for me these days, but it still inevitably will happen and is infuriating when it does. Often I will give up on the game and the controller out of frustration when it does happen, since most of the time it happens, Steam will have quit entirely anyway and the controller needs a hard shut off to even respond again.
Not to mention that if the game uses Steamworks it'll most likely crash when it tries to do something that requires Steam to be running (like oh, say, saving the game...).

Knurek

Yeah. It seems completely random to me. It happens much less frequently for me these days, but it still inevitably will happen and is infuriating when it does. Often I will give up on the game and the controller out of frustration when it does happen, since most of the time it happens, Steam will have quit entirely anyway and the controller needs a hard shut off to even respond again.

Does not running from BPM help here?
I mean, if you have a config for a game and Steam Controller is on, Steam will still load BPM overlay + SC config when you run the game from client.
Just without actual BPM running in the background.
Maybe this helps?

Nzyme32

Does not running from BPM help here?
I mean, if you have a config for a game and Steam Controller is on, Steam will still load BPM overlay + SC config when you run the game from client.
Just without actual BPM running in the background.
Maybe this helps?

So when I got really annoyed with it once when it happened twice in a row (I think it was binding of isaac) I decided to start the game, then power on the Steam Controller - this applies all the settings you originally had, but without BPM. It's actually now something I got in the habit of doing when I know I have bindings that are perfect and I am with a keyboard - and the binding doesn't use touch menus

Knurek

So when I got really annoyed with it once when it happened twice in a row (I think it was binding of isaac) I decided to start the game, then power on the Steam Controller - this applies all the settings you originally had, but without BPM. It's actually now something I got in the habit of doing when I know I have bindings that are perfect and I am with a keyboard - and the binding doesn't use touch menus

You are right, my method doesn't help - I just had a Steam crash on me.
Pity, touch menus are amazing for the games that generally are geared towards SteamCon. Weird that there's not more stink about this, or that it still hasn't been fixed by Valve...

No, I think he wants to literally map xbox buttons in the desktop settings. That's not possible today, we can only map keyboard, mouse and those special actions like volume. Chances are that even UWP games would work with desktop settings.

5y9FQPQ.png

Huh? they must have changed this in a recent update or something? Or am I mistaken about what he wants, because I created an action set for my desktop config for 360 inputs.

I think it was the DS4 update.

Unai

Well, I haven't used it recently, but it used to work (never tried on a UWP though). But I'll take your word for it.

That's interesting because I don't anything has changed. Maybe depends on the software? I tried the desktop setting with emulators (dolphin and epsxe), and they wouldn't recognize the desktop configuration setting the controller as a xbox 360 controller.

With what software did you tested it?

Knurek

Is it normal for Steam Controller to rattle when shaken?
Like there's something inside of the package that's loose?
Everything works as intended so far, but I can't stop wondering if this is normal behaviour.

That's interesting because I don't anything has changed. Maybe depends on the software? I tried the desktop setting with emulators (dolphin and epsxe), and they wouldn't recognize the desktop configuration setting the controller as a xbox 360 controller.

With what software did you tested it?

The few times i used the 360 binds were only for Dolphin, specifically the Project M netplay version. I stopped using it once I got a DS4, though. I'll try using it again when I get back to my PC to see if it works, but I'd guess not, considering Steam crashes when I go to edit the stick bindings for that action set, and also it no longer lists left stick and right stick for those bindings.

There did use to be a 360 graphic for binding the desktop config, though, but not anymore.

Nzyme32

Is it normal for Steam Controller to rattle when shaken?
Like there's something inside of the package that's loose?
Everything works as intended so far, but I can't stop wondering if this is normal behaviour.

Only very very slightly, and it is coming from the buttons

Lork

As of the latest beta update, having a PS4 controller plugged in causes Steam to lock up until you kill the process in task manager. The stable build is from before support for the controller was added at all, so my game playing plans for the near future are effectively cancelled for now.

Ah, the ups and downs of relying on Steam features...

Nzyme32

As of the latest beta update, having a PS4 controller plugged in causes Steam to lock up until you kill the process in task manager. The stable build is from before support for the controller was added at all, so my game playing plans for the near future are effectively cancelled for now.

Ah, the ups and downs of relying on Steam features...

Correction - relying on Steam Beta features (though Steam is always in beta really).

I've just had a similar steam crash when switching between m&k and 360 layouts to test brigador, but no error and not sure how to reproduce it.

Knurek

steam_vnwnsz2.png

Quite happy with this one. Works quite fine without BPM mode as well, you're losing the touch menu, but most common functions are mapped to buttons and if anything's missing, there's always mouse emulation.
SteamCon + VNs - a match (almost) made in heaven.
(Only thing I'd be happy with is if SteamCon did weight a hundred grams or so less)

Lister

Banned
Anyoen have the Ubisoft verison of Watchdogs 2? Have you gotten the Steam overlay/Stema controller to work with it?

I tried disbaling the Ubi overlay but launching the exe for the game form BPM (I adde dit as a non-Stema game), doesn't work :(

Damn it. Shoudl ahve bought it on Steam... but a friend had an Nvidia code for cheap.

Steam Controller never ceases to amaze me: I was playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 on Dolphin and I needed the tilt: just mapped it to some buttons on Dolphin settings, put the left grip as a switch and set the mapped buttons to the alternate mode on BPM. 1 minute, working (and great!) tilt controls.

atr0cious

Anyoen have the Ubisoft verison of Watchdogs 2? Have you gotten the Steam overlay/Stema controller to work with it?

I tried disbaling the Ubi overlay but launching the exe for the game form BPM (I adde dit as a non-Stema game), doesn't work :(

Damn it. Shoudl ahve bought it on Steam... but a friend had an Nvidia code for cheap.
Some ubi games are really weird and break the controller. When you press the steam button in the controller, does it pop out of the game to bpm? If so, save your config as a personal template then set it as your desktop configuration, this means setting up a menu set so the controller knows when it's in game or not, there's an option about cursors being drawn or something if you're not familiar. This should work, it's what i used to use for overwatch, so i didn't have to keep signing in, but I've actually fixed that bit, so now it's my seige set.

Big Nikus

Literally got the same error I've been getting since launch intermitently across both a potato laptop and my top end rig, pretty much equally:

"D3D Device was removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED, this usually indicated you removed the device at runtime or performed a driver upgrade while running. Big Picture must exit"

As the others describe, it is the same issue where BPM locks up and quits out, the Steam Controller will be frozen and you can't really do shit. On other occasions this happens and then SteamWebHelper or other things will crash Steam entirely, but your game will still be stuck yet running.

It is infuriating and with little pattern.

Yeah I'm considering getting a refund because the last crashes I had during ranked matches in Overwatch were not fun AT ALL.
And that's not the only issues I get.

Lister

Banned
Some ubi games are really weird and break the controller. When you press the steam button in the controller, does it pop out of the game to bpm? If so, save your config as a personal template then set it as your desktop configuration, this means setting up a menu set so the controller knows when it's in game or not, there's an option about cursors being drawn or something if you're not familiar. This should work, it's what i used to use for overwatch, so i didn't have to keep signing in, but I've actually fixed that bit, so now it's my seige set.

Yep, that's exactly the behavior I was experiencing, stema button kicked me out and into bpm.

I'll give this a shot tonight, thanks!

I can't do third person actions game swith a right analog stick anymore, feels like I've got a thumb strapped behind my back! :p

Lork

Speaking of which, why can't we access the actual functionality of the Xbox guide button? Is there some technical reason? I wouldn't think so considering that it works just fine with those xinput wrappers for Playstation controllers.

Phil Fish

Banned
Start the game with Big Picture Mode and Steam Controller disabled.
Turn on Steam Controller.
Poof, no guide button.

So even if I go back to the desktop after doing what you said, pushing the guide button won't open Big Pic or the Steam Client? That's what I am trying to achieve (no guide button functionality outside of Steam).

Tealmann

Has Valve ever given an update on if they'll let use use "Xbox" buttons in the desktop config?
I've wanted that since the Steam Controller came out, but now that DS4's are thrown into the mix, it's insane that I can't use my controller AS a controller without launching through steam.

Really cool that instead of fixing this they just removed the option completely

Got Titanfall 2 and I was wondering if people play it with the steam controller and what set up they use.

I played the campaign with the controller. I used standard Xbox inputs with mouse look, and gyro mouse look on right pad touch. A button on right paddle, X on left.

Tried to use it in multiplayer, but it was quickly evident that it's just untenable. Had to switch to KBaM.

Thud

I played the campaign with the controller. I used standard Xbox inputs with mouse look, and gyro mouse look on right pad touch. A button on right paddle, X on left.

Tried to use it in multiplayer, but it was quickly evident that it's just untenable. Had to switch to KBaM.

Yeah it's just for the campaign. Thanks for the help!

Home from college for a month and a half, been meaning to play Stardew Valley since I picked it up in the Humble Monthy (and since IdleMaster already "played" 5 hours to get trading cards).

Is it a game worth playing with steam controller? I get the sense there's a lot of keyboard and mouse like actions in it (using mouse to water, typing in things a lot), but there's also gamepad/keyboard switching in the game by default...

Nabs

Home from college for a month and a half, been meaning to play Stardew Valley since I picked it up in the Humble Monthy (and since IdleMaster already "played" 5 hours to get trading cards).

Is it a game worth playing with steam controller? I get the sense there's a lot of keyboard and mouse like actions in it (using mouse to water, typing in things a lot), but there's also gamepad/keyboard switching in the game by default...

I love it with a Steam Controller. My config is mostly keyboard/mouse, but I use a regular joystick move so I can get rumble while doing things like fishing. I have mouse clicks on the triggers and scrollwheel on the bumpers or grips.

Nzyme32

Did anyone check whether the newest release still has that 'BPM Overlay crashes taking Steam down as well' problem?

No issues so far, but won't know for sure without more play time. Only spent about 4hrs with it.

What's the best settings for a dpad? I want to play shovel knight.

I have been using it for pretty much every game that needs it, usually without any issue. For shovel knight at the moment, since I am playing the plague knight update, I'm using one of the top bindings called "Plague of Arcana" by Killer Chaos. In the options for the game though, you have to turn on quick switching, so that the right pad can be a touch menu for all the arcana items via number keys.

For the dpad, I use what is already in the binding (and default usuall & from the devs) which is radial with overlap, with left pad having to be pressed to work. Dead zone has been reduced from the default notch by several notches (between the z and o of the deadzone word).

A tip for dpad play - I used to hate it till I realised my thumb activates the dpad lower than I expect (whether that is because my thumb is fat or that its just the way it should be), so rather than following the dpad outline, I shift my thumb up position up to the top line of that dpad outline, which then makes the fleshy part of my thumb contact the correct centre of the pad. I can play pretty much all dpad games flawlessly this way - other than fighting games where I now play with activation on touch, and a few games where I use crossgate dpad

Sophia

Trying to play The Division (UPlay only version) with the Steam Controller, but it appears the gamepad doesn't work right in it or something...? : \

atr0cious

Trying to play The Division (UPlay only version) with the Steam Controller, but it appears the gamepad doesn't work right in it or something...? :
Maybe this will help

Burt

Speaking of Ubi games, has anyone tried this with For Honor? There are a few move commands that would be a ton less clumsy if I could bind them to a single button, so if it works well, I'll probably get one of these during the Winter sale.

Sophia

Maybe this will help

I refuse to set up a desktop configuration. That's a terrible workaround that should never have to be done, and I will not do it out of principle.

It's only the gamepad controls that are broke anyhow, so I simply just made my own pure KB/M configuration instead of using a gamepad config. Works great now.

masterkajo

Maybe someone knows an easier solution to my problem. Hope you can help me. I am pretty new to playing with the Steam controller. I am playing through dragon age inquisition (not a very great game imo) but the only way to get it to work is to add origin as a non steam game and launch origin through bpm (setting the dragon age inputs for the origin exe in bpm) and then start dragon age inquisition from origin (using mouse input) which was started using bpm.

When I add Dragon age directly to steam it won't work to detect the steam controller as an xinput device but rather a keyboard and mouse and the steam overlay doesn't change that.

I would love to play Mass Effect Andromeda with the steam controller when it releases but this is such a complicated way to do so (and requires mouse Input to launch the game from the launched origin so I can't start it from the comfy couch.)

Any ideas?

Nabs

You need to launch the game with Origin closed first, and with the Origin overlay disabled. Let me know if that helps.

masterkajo

You need to launch the game with Origin closed first, and with the Origin overlay disabled. Let me know if that helps.
I will try that. Thanks for the quick Reply.

Edit: Thanks it worked. I had to have origin closed and Overlay disabled before launching the game lke you said. Who knew that this could be so finicky. Thanks for the help. Now I can at least start it from the couch. Origin doesn't close itself after the game thought which means I have to either restart the system (which shuts origin down) or use a mouse (or second action set on the controller as a mouse) to close origin. But that is not a huge problem.

Paragon

Edit: Thanks it worked. I had to have origin closed and Overlay disabled before launching the game lke you said. Who knew that this could be so finicky. Thanks for the help. Now I can at least start it from the couch. Origin doesn't close itself after the game thought which means I have to either restart the system (which shuts origin down) or use a mouse (or second action set on the controller as a mouse) to close origin. But that is not a huge problem.
It sucks because Origin used to have an option to close itself when you quit a game but they removed it with the new version of the app.
You could get the old app back by running it in Windows XP compatibility mode, but then they put out an update that brings up two separate prompts every time you launch the old client like that now.

Uplay has similar problems. It requests admin access to run for some stupid reason, so you have a UAC prompt to deal with every time you try to start a Uplay game - several, actually.
If you're running Steam with a user account, and Uplay runs as admin, it can't hook into the game due to the elevated permissions.
On top of that, Uplay now displays an error message every time you try to launch a game with its own overlay disabled.

I wish they were just game management tools like GOG Galaxy.
Galaxy makes it much easier to download and manage your GOG purchases, but it is not required to run the games at all.
I was never a "steam only" person, but the Origin and Uplay clients have just continued to get worse over time as they keep getting in the way of actually playing the games.
It's just made even worse when you are trying to play those games with a Steam Controller.

Since they have only continued to make things worse, I think I'm just going to stop buying games on Origin and Uplay until they fix these things.
I tried playing the free weekend of The Division and even without trying to get a Steam Controller working, it seems like Uplay is making it as difficult as possible to just play a game. I don't need that.

Lister

Banned

Some quick recommendaitons that had me enjoying the game a lot more:

1. Install the quicker loot mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/788/?

This changes the game drastically for suhc a simple mod. Begin able ot walk past resources and collect them takes away literal HOURS of tedium per area (those collecting animations are long).

2. Install the more loot mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/1036/?

Also a big change to the game, but there are several flavors there to choose from. I personally just wanted to have a little more crafting materials drop. The standard game is SUPER stingy and asks for a lto of grinding for those.

3. Instlal the more banter mod:
http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/1454/?

Great little mod. Sometimes in vanilla it feels like everyone is very quite. This has them engage in conversation roughly every 10-15 minutes or so.

4. Map the jump and search functions to the pads. You use them so much and I personally hate commonly used funcitons tied ot puching in the analog stick.

Another mod you might want to consider is the oen that expands the search radius.

Nzyme32

FFS. Valve should help out the desktop side of things.

I was making a binding set on the desktop using mouse and keyboard since I was at the desk while playing - was at the point of saving the binding set, and my Steam Controller times out and shutsdown....... but that shutsdown all the Steam Controller desktop tools, closing the configuration tool and throwing out all the work I'd just done. There is no way to recover it.

Won't be using the desktop to make anything anymore with the Steam Controller.

Sophia

Ever sine the advent of button chords and the Steam Button + Y to quickly shut down, I just turned off the controller shutdown timer. That way I don't have to worry about it >.<

Top Bottom