• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread but I have a question if someone doesn't mind answering.

Is there much point in getting a steam link if my PC isn't too far from my TV? I mostly want one for convenience so I don't have to mess around with dual screening on my PC.

Maybe a long HDMI cord would be better? Just swap and plug in when you want to switch the display. Would be cheaper too.

Ok, I *must* be missing something...

I'm trying to play Darkest Dungeon with the Steam controller, even using Red Hook's recommended setup. I click on the envelope to choose a save slot and... I can't get past that. I even opened the keyboard and held left and right trigger to send a return (enter) -- still nada. What am I missing?

Edit: I ended up just mapping LS down to "RETURN" and it works. Not Steam controller's problem, really that UI is a little rough at that point.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Maybe a long HDMI cord would be better? Just swap and plug in when you want to switch the display. Would be cheaper too.

Yea that's what I did before, it worked ok. I suppose I just want PC gaming with a console-like interface.

B_Signal

Hopefully this has been asked before many times so that it's not just a case of me being an idiot.

On certain games (Rage, Euro Truck) there's symbols for the right pad I don't understand. I assume the one with the finger and circles coming off it is pressing the trackpad in, but what does the one with the 3 lines coming off it mean?

It's probably something obvious, but with Rage I couldn't get it to work as the mouse, and I'd like to understand it before I rebind stuff

Hopefully this has been asked before many times so that it's not just a case of me being an idiot.

On certain games (Rage, Euro Truck) there's symbols for the right pad I don't understand. I assume the one with the finger and circles coming off it is pressing the trackpad in, but what does the one with the 3 lines coming off it mean?

It's probably something obvious, but with Rage I couldn't get it to work as the mouse, and I'd like to understand it before I rebind stuff

The one with circles is double tap, the one with lines is click.

If you mean those in this video at 1:11 - https://youtu.be/Dg3fjbiQCSY?t=72

B_Signal

The one with circles is double tap, the one with lines is click.

If you mean those in this video at 1:11 - https://youtu.be/Dg3fjbiQCSY?t=72
Thanks for that, that video is pretty useful actually

I must just have been unlucky with the games because double tap hasn't worked for me yet. Rage in particular doesn't seem to like the controller, but I suspect that's something that will change as the community, and maybe the developers, spend time with it

What I will say though, when the enemies are leaping around in Rage the pad isn't great (so far at least), but when they're in cover picking them off is fantastic, more how you envisaged the controller working

I've only tried the controller with one game so far, and it wasn't very good. Really hard to get the third-person camera to work well on the right pad, and because the game seems to lock me to controller as soon as it detects one, I don't even have the option of switching the right pad to mouse controls. Also, I'm running the game off my laptop (the game's graphics are glitched out on my nice desktop, you can see through all the walls, which actually makes it really hard to navigate levels and shoot at things without hitting the invisible wall between you and the target) so the relatively poor performance doesn't help either.

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men was probably not a good place to start learning how to use the Steam controller.

I'll probably try it with a game that isn't complete garbage later today

Valve dev in regards to gyro aiming:

Why do you disable trackball mode on the pad mouse? I think high sensitivity trackball pad + low sensitivity gyro with no trackball and low smoothing is where the money is. I made a short video demonstrating this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B43ibnztDLc

this was in the thread I linked earlier: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam_Cont...ntrollers_gyro_control_for_finetuning/cw4czev

Thanks for that, that video is pretty useful actually

I must just have been unlucky with the games because double tap hasn't worked for me yet. Rage in particular doesn't seem to like the controller, but I suspect that's something that will change as the community, and maybe the developers, spend time with it

What I will say though, when the enemies are leaping around in Rage the pad isn't great (so far at least), but when they're in cover picking them off is fantastic, more how you envisaged the controller working

Doesn't Euro Truck have official bindings though? So double tap should work. Maybe you need to mess with its duration slider. You can also assign a beep noise to it. Or maybe it's just a bug again.

B_Signal

Doesn't Euro Truck have official bindings though? So double tap should work. Maybe you need to mess with its duration slider. You can also assign a beep noise to it. Or maybe it's just a big again.

it does, and yeah, I'm hoping it was just a one off bug. I couldn't even get the engine to start. I'll give it another go at some point, and then play about with the duration (adding sound is a good idea), I'm more than willing to accept that the controller needs some getting used to

Burger

I'm playing Mad Max in gamepad mode, but it seems like you can't use the right pad for mouse movement without using KB/M controls and remapping everything. It doesn't seem to like 2 different types of input.

Ricker

Well I tried everything and Steam BPM just doesnt want to see my friend's controller,it did the same on his PC...my friend would bring it back but they only had 6 where he got it so I will have to wait till the 10th...he might as well keep it and wait for a fix or something until then.

Mask

Man, I've been avoiding using Gamepad templates as much as I can. The right touchpad is really hard to use when it's mapped to analog stick mode. Kinda sucks seeing the prompts swap between Keyboard and Gamepad rapidly too.

Check out my later post. A Valve dev chimed in in that thread. He's using a bit different settings. Who knows which is better though :p

Yeah, I combined my old Rage config with the Valve dev's gyro stuff.

This... I keep saying it but it changes the game again! Holy fuck! It's actually worthwhile to try for headshots in this game now. Before, I wouldn't bother because they weren't lethal with most weapons/ammo, but now? I'm just slaying stuff. Man.

Touchpad + gyro. Who would've thought?

Lork

Because a mouse can use any surface area you decide. If you want to use a low sensitivity and have a large mouse surface you can easily still turn around in a split second. Go look at good CS players, the vast majority of them use lower sensitivities for precision but are still quick as hell because a mouse's range allows that. The small surface of the touchpads makes you decide if you want to be quick but imprecise or slow but precise.
Is it possible to have the sensitivity change as part of a "mode switch"? Either automatically when the left trigger is held down to ADS, or a grip button dedicated to it could work well depending on the game. Apparently there are custom console controllers with features like this and people have described the results as borderline cheating.

Tobor

Just Cause 2 is so gooooood with this controller! I've done a 0.1 on some custom bindings. Once it's perfect I'll publish it. Totally awesome.

I love this controller!

Guys, the gyro aiming as described the Valve guy changes everything. You can now use that for fine aiming while using the trackball touchpad for big swings, this thing just got so much better for shooter games.

MNC

Valve dev in regards to gyro aiming:

this was in the thread I linked earlier: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam_Cont...ntrollers_gyro_control_for_finetuning/cw4czev

Doesn't Euro Truck have official bindings though? So double tap should work. Maybe you need to mess with its duration slider. You can also assign a beep noise to it. Or maybe it's just a bug again.

That's odd... I found it weird, but my mapping UI looks different. The "Button that enables Gyro" is behind the "Advanced Settings" button, like some kind of glitch, on my end. The way the Gyro menu looks in this video makes much more sense.

Is there an update that I missed? I am in the beta.

mbmonk

Guys, the gyro aiming as described the Valve guy changes everything. You can now use that for fine aiming while using the trackball touchpad for big swings, this thing just got so much better for shooter games.

Is there a video of someone using this in a more realistic context?

The dev was standing still while shooting at targets that were also standing still. I would be more interested seeing how it works while someone is strafing and trying to hit moving enemies.

King_Moc

Banned
Is there a video of someone using this in a more realistic context?

The dev was standing still while shooting at targets that were also standing still. I would be more interested seeing how it works while someone is strafing and trying to hit moving enemies.

This is how Splatoon works on the Wii U gamepad, more or less. It's fantastic for aiming, way, way better than analogue.

Bioshock Infinite is AWESOME with this controller tbh. I was so so confused at first but I got used to it, I'm about an hour and a half in now and starting to become comfortable.

Iorv3th

Been playing Divinity Original Sin today with the controller, played for about 4 hours and it works really well. I don't have any of the numbers binded to the controller but since it pauses during battle it's easy enough to just use the mouse. Think i'm going to change some stuff up to use the dpad and maybe modeshift it to have more stuff mapped to it (inventory, map, etc).

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is far better with this than it ever was with a regular gamepad. it's perfectly playable now without hauling my wheel and pedals out every time i want to play it

every once in a while the d-pad flips out and seems like it's being pressed in a direction multiple times very rapidly. noticed this happening in Super Meat Boy and Downwell. not sure if this is a hardware or software issue

edit - seems to happen every time i press a certain diagonal up/left direction, easiest to do when rolling from left to up and back to the left until it starts freaking out

also, on the hardware status screen, the dots start blinking like in this video, but seemingly only when it's pressed in a specific direction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLfX8hkks7Y

and here's what its doing in Super Meat Boy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-WXL5yVzag

1upmuffin

Anybody try this with a 2d platformer? How's the dpad?

I played a bit of Super Meat Boy earlier. With the d-pad you have 2 options, click to move or touch to move. Clicking the pad in requires a good amount of force so it is pretty uncomfortable to do it that way. If you set it to the touch to move style it requires no force, so you can accidentally hit directions sometimes, but with high haptic feedback you get used to it. I was beating the early levels with no problem, not sure how it would fare for the later levels.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I don't think I've seen a binding at the top of a list that uses virtual wasd yet, they always use the physical stick for movement. Do people just not like the virtual controls? I'm actually completely used to them now, and reaching for that miniature analog is terrible.

Shawsie64

Banned
Been reading all the impressions, seems to be a few people in here that hate the controller.. For myself though who plays tons of PC games on couch it would be a god send! Only issue is I cant get it in Australia so if anyone wants to sell theirs (and would ship to Australia) shoot me a PM.

Tried it out with Rocket league earlier and it works as is expected really which is good. Coming from PS4 version with a DS4, I prefer the Steam Controller if anything. I just love the triggers.

Tried it out with Rocket league earlier and it works as is expected really which is good. Coming from PS4 version with a DS4, I prefer the Steam Controller if anything. I just love the triggers.
One fun option I added was to boost when you click the gas trigger to maximum and power slide when you click the reverse to maximum. Also added steering to the gyro, even though I'll never actually use it.

Top Bottom