• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Costia

Didn't get an answer on the previous pages, so i am asking again:
Can this controller be used as a regular Xinput (xbox) controller?

Dolor

Damn this thing is amazing. Played a battle of Rome 2 total war with it on a custom config and was getting used to controls in minutes. Played some shadow of mordor as well. The mouse control on the right stick seems to be to really be revolutionary. Was able to play cities skylines for a bit and could see how it could work.

I was pretty hopeful going on, but this thing surpasses my expectations by a mile. It will really be amazing when I use it on a game from the beginning rather than adapting from something I am already used to.

Hats off to valve as this thing seemsn like a legit game changer.

TheRed

I've played a lot of CoJ Gunslinger and Spec Ops The line on hard, it's definitely possible to be good at these kind of games it just takes practice and finding the right config.

hepburn3d

What are your mouse settings? Maybe using your configs I can finally figure out some decent controls.

I use default mouseball then a few simple keyboard shortcuts. I've shared it with the steam community. I only wanted to 'test' it and here we are 3 hours later. Forgot how addictive that game is :)

Going to test X3 later.

I tried Far Cry 2 last night. Was good and hard. I'm still getting used to that right pad for first person look. There is a steep learning curve but it's so satisfying after a few hours. I can feel myself getting better and better all the time. The next OP title needs to be "you must unlearn what you have learned" because that perfectly sums up my entire experience.

Also for sillys like me pressing X with the onscreen keyboard up moves it around. I also recommend leaving the view on your controller setup then just pressing the steam button to flick back and fourth to see your control scheme :)

The Cowboy

Anyone having issues with Portal 2?, i loaded it up and whilst in the games levels the controller works, in any menu it simply won't do anything at all and I'm forced to use my keyboard/mouse to get back to the game - I've tried loads of the pre-sets and re-mapped it all myself but same thing, in game it works, in menus it doesn't.

MNC

Wish we could reuse some settings or bindings from other games.

Also, when I upload a public binding, and make changes, and reupload; does it overwrite the existing one?

hepburn3d

Wish we could reuse some settings or bindings from other games.

Also, when I upload a public binding, and make changes, and reupload; does it overwrite the existing one?

Yea it reuploads. If you change the name it makes another one. It's fine because if someone uses it they save a copy locally so your upload won't effect their old copy unless they go online again and redownload it.

I'm kind of determined to make the best profile for each game I try rather than use others. I do like using others peoples as a starting template though

Won

Got around setting up Wildstar and have to say it felt pretty good considering I'm not really used to anything on that controller.

2 issues crept up though:

-The clicking of the pads is indeed waaaay too loud. Decided to bind jump on the right pad and it worked well enough, but the sound made me reassign jump to a shoulder button pretty fast. And I'm using headphones too.

-Which led me to the second issue. I think it was already mentioned here, but you can't mode shift the shoulder buttons. Is there a reason for that? Or am I missing something? Seems really odd. Feels like I'm missing out on 12 buttons here.

Tobor

What are your mouse settings? Maybe using your configs I can finally figure out some decent controls.

If you can't figure out how to use this thing in Civ5 with the official controls from Maxis, then shut it down. This isn't for you.

I have the same exact controller in my house as you do, and it's working insanely well for me. Precision head shots and certainly precision in Civ5. Either you have a busted controller or the issues you're having exist between the controller and couch.

-Which led me to the second issue. I think it was already mentioned here, but you can't mode shift the shoulder buttons. Is there a reason for that? Or am I missing something? Seems really odd. Feels like I'm missing out on 12 buttons here.

Don't know the reason, but maybe you could send them a mail to the address they gave and ask why or suggest they implement it.

Shari

It says "can be mapped", so only via the steam client? meaning I can't use it as a plug and play xinput controller.

Yes I have the same problem and people just seem to be annoyed at some of us asking.

Software side on this is, at present time, very very very poor.

Can anyone confirm this?

I don't have the controller yet (waiting for Nov. 10th), but even if it does, that'd be against the design philosophy of the controller as Xinput doesn't offer configuration for the trackpads, sensitivity, mouse look, trackball mode, haptic feedback and whatnot, and without those features it'd be kinda pointless/worse than other controllers.

It says "can be mapped", so only via the steam client? meaning I can't use it as a plug and play xinput controller.

Yes I have the same problem and people just seem to be annoyed at some of us asking.

Software side on this is, at present time, very very very poor.

It's right there in the OP

Without Steam, the controller itself is detected by a PC (or other device) as an actual mouse and keyboard. This allows basic functionality on any device that supports a mouse / keyboard, from old consoles such as the Dreamcast, to your Android phone or even your own PC’s bios.

You want xinput, you need Steam.

alerus

Neo Member
Does anyone know if there is a way to move the virtual keyboard location? My first test of it was in Google on the their browser and it completely covered up the text I was typing, which is rather problematic :p

NotSelf

Does anyone know if there is a way to move the virtual keyboard location? My first test of it was in Google on the their browser and it completely covered up the text I was typing, which is rather problematic :p

You can make it appear at the bottom but I don't remember the button I just hit them all at random until it worked.

Exuro

Anyone having issues with Portal 2?, i loaded it up and whilst in the games levels the controller works, in any menu it simply won't do anything at all and I'm forced to use my keyboard/mouse to get back to the game - I've tried loads of the pre-sets and re-mapped it all myself but same thing, in game it works, in menus it doesn't.
I had the exact same issue yesterday. Only works in the actual game, not in menus. Hoping they have a large to do list in Monday to get these bugs fixed.

Nzyme32

There was a client beta update for portal 2 which fixed similar problems. Try that if you haven't already

Red

My biggest problem now is not the Steam controller. My biggest problem is getting m&k exclusive games to display properly on W10/ my TV. A lot of them are broken on start up.

alerus

Neo Member
There was a client beta update for portal 2 which fixed similar problems. Try that if you haven't already

How do you get this? I'm in the Steam Client beta if that's what you mean, but my problems persist and there doesn't seem to be a beta update for portal 2.

My problems are a bit weirder. It seems to start okay, but as soon as I try to config the controller it stops working. Also, there are no community or official templates in the config, just the standard 3 templates.

Got this working better than a regular Gamepad in Shadow of Mordor. It will likely replace my Xbox One/360 controller once I figure out a good Joystick emulation setting.

Currently the only tweaks I made to Mordor are Aim and Fire the bow on the two-stage left trigger and added Gyro aiming. With the extra buttons, I can run while not taking my thumb off the right pad, and then tilt the controller for extra precision. And, obviously, changed the pad to a trackball.

has anyone figured out a comfortable Right pad as joystick setup? I can get it pretty close, but it still has a slow "wind up" period where it just doesn't activate properly.

Nzyme32

Got this working better than a regular Gamepad in Shadow of Mordor. It will likely replace my Xbox One/360 controller once I figure out a good Joystick emulation setting.

Currently the only tweaks I made to Mordor are Aim and Fire the bow on the two-stage left trigger and added Gyro aiming. With the extra buttons, I can run while not taking my thumb off the right pad, and then tilt the controller for extra precision. And, obviously, changed the pad to a trackball.

has anyone figured out a comfortable Right pad as joystick setup? I can get it pretty close, but it still has a slow "wind up" period where it just doesn't activate properly.

Yeah my current issue is working out the best Joystick emulation setup and FPS settings, but Woodsie's latest videos has some good ideas I'll give a try. I can definitely see the Steam Controller replacing my DS3 if I can get those worked out

How do you get this? I'm in the Steam Client beta if that's what you mean, but my problems persist and there doesn't seem to be a beta update for portal 2.

My problems are a bit weirder. It seems to start okay, but as soon as I try to config the controller it stops working. Also, there are no community or official templates in the config, just the standard 3 templates.

Check to see if there is an update left to download by going into the main client and check for updates. If that doesn't work, I'm not too sure then

Dibils2k

reviews of this have really disappointed me.. i was hoping i could play shooters with this and get closer to K+M (not as good obviously) but it just seems like you are better of using xbox controller still

Nzyme32

I've played a lot of CoJ Gunslinger and Spec Ops The line on hard, it's definitely possible to be good at these kind of games it just takes practice and finding the right config.

CoJ Gunslinger! What a great idea. I completely forgot about that but it would make a great little test for aiming and working out a good binding set.

reviews of this have really disappointed me.. i was hoping i could play shooters with this and get closer to K+M (not as good obviously) but it just seems like you are better of using xbox controller still

I definitely disagree with this kind of stance. It's clear to me that some one could adjust to this or further still, follow Woodsie's ideas in Doom 3 and have something that is still superior to what an xbox controller could do. More to the point, none of the appropriate solutions are available yet as community bindings are only now accumulating. Any "review" of the controller coming now will be wrong till things stabilise, particularly since such a timeframe doesn't explore all the customisations and doesn't account for the learning curve

This is not the case at all. Seriously, look up some borderlands 2 with the controller.

Most of the reviews or first impressions have been people using analog emulation and not bothering with settings at all. You're better off reading this thread or check out videos of people using it for weeks prior to this launch. Like Woodsie's videos.

Damn this thing is amazing. Played a battle of Rome 2 total war with it on a custom config and was getting used to controls in minutes. Played some shadow of mordor as well. The mouse control on the right stick seems to be to really be revolutionary. Was able to play cities skylines for a bit and could see how it could work.

Yeah, I played some Total War: Atilla and was kind of amazed at how smooth the controller worked. Definite learning curve but the novelty of playing something like that with a controller was pretty cool.

Its not going to be for everyone but a lot of the reviews I've read seem more like first impressions. And sure, if you're used to using a 360 controller or only mouse/keyboard and then jump into a FPS, the controller is going to feel weird. There is a significant learning curve with it and especially at this stage, I think you have to be willing to tinker with the bindings and settings to get something that works for you.

scitek

To be fair, playing killing floor, it felt both too sensitive in game, and not sometimes, and in the menus it was slow as hell. Im not sure how changing the sensitivity to improve one issue would do anything but make the other worse, and double besides, the damn thing should work without hours of setup.

Absolutely not. I bought the damn things and at worst I'll keep them around as a curiosity. But they should have been more up front that out of the box, the thing would function like junk with nearly anything, and would require extensive user modification in order to achieve even basic competency.

You're mostly complaining about the camera controls, which comes down to one thing, the trackball settings. That's one thing on the controller to tweak to your preferences. I don't consider that "extensive," but you would have to do it on a game-by-game basis, so maybe that is. Wait until more games have settings made by the community, then it won't be on you to set everything up.

Would love to be able to copy specific profiles from game to game. Eg my alien isolation config would work well with loads of other fps's.

And again: you must unlearn what you have learned. Expect to have to put in time and effort, and you will be rewarded. It is not a mouse and keyboard, it is not a dualshock. It is its own thing. And when it's used that way, it is awesome.

CoJ Gunslinger! What a great idea. I completely forgot about that but it would make a great little test for aiming and working out a good binding set.

I definitely disagree with this kind of stance. It's clear to me that some one could adjust to this or further still, follow Woodsie's ideas in Doom 3 and have something that is still superior to what an xbox controller could do. More to the point, none of the appropriate solutions are available yet as community bindings are only now accumulating. Any "review" of the controller coming now will be wrong till things stabilise, particularly since such a timeframe doesn't explore all the customisations and doesn't account for the learning curve

So this guy in the video seems to know exactly what he's doing. Do we have any way of finding his bindings and applying them? I'm not sure how the community bindings are "ranked" and how we search for specific ones.

NIN90

Any videos of people playing FPS games decently with this? I watched LevelCap's (mostly negative) video but I can't shake the feeling that he just hasn't set up the controller right.

Any videos of people playing FPS games decently with this? I watched LevelCap's (mostly negative) video but I can't shake the feeling that he just hasn't set up the controller right.

I feel this way too. I haven't made videos but I've played dishonored, alien isolation, singularity, tf2 and a few others. Configs varied but The biggest compliment I can give the controller is that once I set it up, I forgot I was using it.

The Cowboy

My steam client was already on the beta build, i also went to see if there was a Portal 2 beta - doesn't change the issue.

Really hope this is fixed ASAP, bit silly to include Portal 2 with the controller and not have it working correctly :D.

here's one about settings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg3fjbiQCSY
and a stream: http://www.twitch.tv/thedarkally/v/21200326

he's been using this for weeks. I checked out some other, more well-know YTer impressions (like WarOwl), but they haven't messed with the settings at all, just left it in generic gamepad mode.

Wallach

Playing some more ESO now. Have to say I found it hard last night. Coming back today it's much easier. Gets better with every use :)

ESO has proven to work extremely well with it for me (which doesn't surprise me given how well Skyrim & ESO on console play on a controller). Posted my ESO template in the other config thread if you want to try it out. I would like to get the core 1-5 hotkeys onto triggers but I never found a way to get mode shifting to work for the bumpers or triggers, but the layout I eventually worked out still felt great. When the controller UI comes with the next update I'll probably uninstall the console version.

Ricker

Decided to start over from scratch this morning but I just noticed something about Steam...this is a little off topic but my Steam downloads the auto update thing,asks me to restart,does that little white window with the extract thing and the green progress bar but I just noticed that at the end,it says failed something,it really disappears to fast for me to see and logs me back in Steam...all runs well but I get the same message after 5 minutes,I hit restart Steam and it just does this over and over but doesnt upgrade...my last Steam upgrade is October 1st...

Anyone know how to fix this...? (W10)

EDIT; fixed,turns out it my Antivirus...weird,it never did that before.

Nzyme32

I'm having some success with right analogue stick emulaton - particularly in MGSV. I've uploaded the bindings called "Responsive Traditional Analogue gamepad"

Messing with the anti deadzone and buffer settings as the vertical sensitivity scale, I can actually track targets really well and move around / look where I want with ease. It's not quite perfect yet and I'm still getting used to messing with a dynamic deadzone, but it certainly has me quite optimistic for the stick.

If I can get a similar setup in other games I'd be happy, however the MGSV and GZ stick setting have always been different to other games, since there is this weird deadzone that you get used to on other controllers, but with the Steam Controller you can essentially edit that the way you want

hepburn3d

ESO has proven to work extremely well with it for me (which doesn't surprise me given how well Skyrim & ESO on console play on a controller). Posted my ESO template in the other config thread if you want to try it out. I would like to get the core 1-5 hotkeys onto triggers but I never found a way to get mode shifting to work for the bumpers or triggers, but the layout I eventually worked out still felt great. When the controller UI comes with the next update I'll probably uninstall the console version.

One great thing I found is have attack as soft trigger and synergy as hard trigger. Works sooooo good. Then I have block as soft trigger and dodge as hard trigger on the other one. I've copied the pts config for abilities X,y,b,lB,rB

alerus

Neo Member
Check to see if there is an update left to download by going into the main client and check for updates. If that doesn't work, I'm not too sure then

Figured it out. Last night Steam went berserk and I had to uninstall and reinstall and that opted me out of the beta (I thought it was account-wide rather than client wide). Reenabled it and it seems to be working better now.

Thanks.

haveheart

Banned
Is there a list (or maybe we could do that) of games that work particularly well with the steam controller?

Until now, I was sticking to RPS and FPS games on my PC, because mouse+keyboard imho works best with these games. So I pretty much neglected racing games, action rpgs (?) or other genres that might work best with a controller.

A few games i cant get to run at all using the steam controller including Metal Gear Solid V and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. Blood Dragon's right analog wouldnt work yesterday, today it wouldnt even allow me to press the A button. MGSV's right analog is wonky and only works when i move.

Alien Isolation will not allow you to mimic both gamepad and mouse at the same time, intsead you have to do only one or the other.

The more I sample games the less impressed i am with the Valve Controller.

Top Bottom