• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Crayon

Anybody try this with a 2d platformer? How's the dpad?

The dpad is the easiest trackpad mode to get used to. I set it to very low deadzone and touch not push. With medium haptics. It works really well. Its as good as a dpad. Feels more like a disc shaped sega-style pad than a cross shaped nintendo one. That may be why I like it so much.

You can actually hold a cardinal direction, and rock back and forth onto the diagonal like a real dpad and you know where to stop thanks to the haptic click.

In other news, it looks like my gf is picking up the trackpad mousing action much faster than I have. Meaning my experience with a normal controller is either of no use or a detriment to my learning.

I don't think I've seen a binding at the top of a list that uses virtual wasd yet, they always use the physical stick for movement. Do people just not like the virtual controls? I'm actually completely used to them now, and reaching for that miniature analog is terrible.

Well, using the stick for movement is certainly preferable if the game supports gamepad + mouse, and then in games that don't I'd probably use WASD on the stick just for consistency. I think that's how the Valve template is set up as well, so that creates a precedent.

Crayon

I don't think I've seen a binding at the top of a list that uses virtual wasd yet, they always use the physical stick for movement. Do people just not like the virtual controls? I'm actually completely used to them now, and reaching for that miniature analog is terrible.

I love the wasd/four way movement on the trackpad. On some games I'm forgoing the analog movement in favor of the virtual wasd. I was playing a platformer with all virtual controls and it works better than I thought it would.

I played a bit of Super Meat Boy earlier. With the d-pad you have 2 options, click to move or touch to move. Clicking the pad in requires a good amount of force so it is pretty uncomfortable to do it that way. If you set it to the touch to move style it requires no force, so you can accidentally hit directions sometimes, but with high haptic feedback you get used to it. I was beating the early levels with no problem, not sure how it would fare for the later levels.

You can also change the dead zone so that you're less likely to have spurious inputs.

Awakened

The dpad is the easiest trackpad mode to get used to. I set it to very low deadzone and touch not push. With medium haptics. It works really well. Its as good as a dpad. Feels more like a disc shaped sega-style pad than a cross shaped nintendo one. That may be why I like it so much.

You can actually hold a cardinal direction, and rock back and forth onto the diagonal like a real dpad and you know where to stop thanks to the haptic click.
That sounds promising. I hadn't read much praise about how well it worked without the physical click required. Can you set the right pad to be a single touch enabled button? I've read you can set the right pad to be the four face buttons and I think you can turn off "click required" for those like you can for the d-pad. I can see it working well as a single button you can tap to jump or whatever, though I don't know if the diamond button cluster would work well. Especially in games were you want to hold down a charge shot with X and still be able to jump with A.

Crayon

That sounds promising. I hadn't read much praise about how well it worked without the physical click required. Can you set the right pad to be a single touch enabled button? I've read you can set the right pad to be the four face buttons and I think you can turn off "click required" for those like you can for the d-pad. I can see it working well as a single button you can tap to jump or whatever, though I don't know if the diamond button cluster would work well. Especially in games were you want to hold down a charge shot with X and still be able to jump with A.

Yes you can do one big touch button by setting all four buttons on the pad as the same binding.

Heal-toeing on the virtual buttons also works, but requires more practice than the virtual dpad, imo. You can set both the size of the buttons and the distance between them.

edit: and with more practice Ive found that hitting two buttons at once on the trackpad, while possible, is quite impractical thanks to the angle of the trackpads. I can't really keep the heal of my thumb down. I'm going to experiment using the dpad input to map buttons on the right pad. The dpad mode makes it easy to touch between directions and press two.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Has anyone tried TES:IV Oblivion yet? I always wanted to try that one with proper controller support on PC.
I've been messing around with it and I started getting pretty immersed in the controls. Using both trackpads feels great on it, more than in a twitch shooter for me at least. Only problem with virtual wasd was I had to mess with the always run command a bunch just to get myself to walk at normal speed, don't know what that meant. But for most explorative fps's, this will probably be my controller from now on.

AJLma

Anyone else getting a glitch where you can't move the camera and the joystick at the same time?

I talked about this earlier with MGS:V, but now I just loaded up Batman:AK and I get the same error. If I try to sprint and move the camera at the same time, I can't. This is the biggest thing keeping me from playing games with this controller so far. In MGS:V if I try to hold the binoculars, move and aim at the same time a button drops.

Huge problem. Would like to hear if others are experiencing this or if Valve has said anything about this.

Anyone else getting a glitch where you can't move the camera and the joystick at the same time?

I talked about this earlier with MGS:V, but now I just loaded up Batman:AK and I get the same error. If I try to sprint and move the camera at the same time, I can't. This is the biggest thing keeping me from playing games with this controller so far. In MGS:V if I try to hold the binoculars, move and aim at the same time a button drops.

Huge problem. Would like to hear if others are experiencing this or if Valve has said anything about this.

Are you using a gamepad + mouse config? If so it's happening because the game has to flip between both modes and doesn't handle them both at the same time. Try switching to a gamepad based config OR a keyboard/mouse based config and it'll work fine.

Valve should have never set up the idea that gamepad + mouse would work well and seed the templates with it, so many games flat out don't accept them at the same time.

Blizzard

Banned

Is it because you have one configured as a controller control and the other as a mouse/keyboard control? I seem to remember someone saying that a game was constantly switching between mouse/keyboard and controller mode and you might be experiencing something like that.

AJLma

Are you using a gamepad + mouse config? If so it's happening because the game has to flip between both modes and doesn't handle them both at the same time. Try switching to a gamepad based config OR a keyboard/mouse based config and it'll work fine.

Valve should have never set up the idea that gamepad + mouse would work well and seed the templates with it, so many games flat out don't accept them at the same time.

I was, thanks. I'll try that out and see if it fixes it.

edit: Okay, this is the worst. I have to rebind literally every key for KB&M mode and they're already set up to defaults for some reason that I have to overwrite. If the steam controller is going to have any barrier to entry it's the fact that it takes an hour to set up for every single game. Realistically this thing only works in KB&M mode as long as the problem above exists. They need to solve this rebinding thing by at least attempting to do a smart default rebind import or something.

I guess a temporary solution is to just set up a group of default nonsense keys on the keyboard as alternatives, but that means erasing or making the default KB&M setup useless. This also makes sharing your setup useless since you can't rebind other people's in-game KB&M options.

DeVeAn

It feels good. Not the same since I find WiiU pro controller buttons closer. But this one has a distinct feel, to it

I find the Wii U Pro hard to reach the Y button. It's really uncomfortable. So you are saying the X button on the Steam Controller is easy to reach? If the Wii U Pro had the buttons like the 360 pad I would find it perfect.

Wish there was a way to try the Steam Controller so badly.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is far better with this than it ever was with a regular gamepad. it's perfectly playable now without hauling my wheel and pedals out every time i want to play it

every once in a while the d-pad flips out and seems like it's being pressed in a direction multiple times very rapidly. noticed this happening in Super Meat Boy and Downwell. not sure if this is a hardware or software issue

edit - seems to happen every time i press a certain diagonal up/left direction, easiest to do when rolling from left to up and back to the left until it starts freaking out

also, on the hardware status screen, the dots start blinking like in this video, but seemingly only when it's pressed in a specific direction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLfX8hkks7Y

and here's what its doing in Super Meat Boy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-WXL5yVzag

so here's what this looks like in the status screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRDL0IEiiMs

i've tried removing and replacing the batteries, moving the dongle + base around and holding the controller right next to it, and also tried using the controller wired. this problem persists through everything i've tried. the easiest way for me to replicate it is to press slightly down + right on the left touchpad in d-pad mode and immediately push slightly above fully left as seen in the second video

Downwell would be perfectly playable with the touchpad as a d-pad except when this happens. this is making it too unreliable for that right now though. haven't really been able to find any other information about this specific issue anywhere either

For regulars desktop use i.e. web browsing, how do I use the mouse wheel? I've read clockwise/counter clockwise motion is supposed to work, but I don't think it works on the desktop. Any ideas?

Edit: seems to be the bumpers.

I was, thanks. I'll try that out and see if it fixes it.

edit: Okay, this is the worst. I have to rebind literally every key for KB&M mode and they're already set up to defaults for some reason that I have to overwrite. If the steam controller is going to have any barrier to entry it's the fact that it takes an hour to set up for every single game. Realistically this thing only works in KB&M mode as long as the problem above exists. They need to solve this rebinding thing by at least attempting to do a smart default rebind import or something.

I guess a temporary solution is to just set up a group of default nonsense keys on the keyboard as alternatives, but that means erasing or making the default KB&M setup useless. This also makes sharing your setup useless since you can't rebind other people's in-game KB&M options.

Yeah you have to basically set it off the defaults or no custom configs will work. I can recommend starting with the keyboard + mouse template if that is the route you are going on as that will at least already have the stick set up as WASD and the right trackpad as a mouse, and then you fill out the rest of the buttons.

Nerrel

Here are my impressions after some brief time fiddling around with it:

*The grips feel great. Very comfortable to hold.
*The haptic feedback is pretty impressive. The D-pad rocking when in touch only mode actually does a pretty good job of feeling like a rocking D-pad. Likewise, the feedback in the triggers feels a lot like clicking a mouse. There's even a slight residual "springy" vibration after pressing the button, like you'd get from a real mouse.
*The analog stick is very comfortably placed. I was worried about the stick being on bottom, but it's nowhere near as awkward as a Dual Shock.

Unfortunately, I'm not crazy about the rest of it yet.

* The buttons are not great; a little mushy. I love the Wii U Pro, so I have no problem reaching down. The issue is that the face buttons are slanted (A is lower than Y), like on a normal gamepad where your thumbs are coming up from low grips. But on the Steam pad, your thumbs come down from above... In order to comfortably rest across two buttons at once, the face buttons really should have been angled the opposite way (Y lower than A). It would have required the lower face of the controller to curve up more and may have looked weird, but as it is it's odd having to bend the thumb down in at the knuckle to hit B while hovering over Y.

Also, the Wii U Pro with a Mayflash works out beautifully for PC games since Nintendo's reversed buttons map letter to letter (X, Y to Y, etc). It keeps the same relationship between the stick and buttons, effectively compensating for the stick layout being reversed. Here, the stick layout is reversed but the buttons are the same as the 360, so your primary actions are farthest from the trackpad. It can be remapped of course, but it's tough getting used to in Steam's menus.

* The bumpers are pretty stiff. They feel tight and take a lot effort to click. The point of a bumper is that you can just reach up and nudge it with the side of your finger without having to move much from the triggers, and the hard click required here makes that difficult. The same goes for the trackpad buttons; just a little too stiff to press, which may cause your thumb to drift across the pad a little while you force it down. It's not a major problem in gameplay, but I've noticed all the buttons are a downgrade from the U Pro.

* But mainly, this is definitely a controller for those used to keyboard and mouse. I've found myself pretty lost about how to map things, since kb+mouse has ways of splitting up actions that would have been a single button on a controller into multiple keys, or doing the reverse and combining controls. It can be surprisingly hard to map things out just like on a 360 controller while still satisfying all the requirements of the kb+mouse scheme. It's also really disorienting to see random button prompts and having no clue what button is mapped to what.

Using it in gamepad mode solves this, but the analog stick emulation is pretty bad. The default dead zone is massive, and takes way more movement than an actual stick would. Even after tweaking the dead zones, I still couldn't get it to feel as comfortable or precise as an actual stick. And this is coming from someone who readily admits an analog stick is the least precise control method out there.

Very few of the games I have support gamepad and mouse simultaneously, so it's pretty much got to be kb+mouse and it always seems like an uphill battle to configure this to work, even starting from the templates. I've got the camera movement under control- 180 degree turns feel great with trackball on, even to someone who's never used one before- but I'm still struggling with aiming. Smaller, precise movements don't seem sensitive enough with the settings I've used. Also, figuring out how to have both running and walking with WASD movement is a pain, as is the lack of precision with just 4 directions to press.
As a console gamer, I can't really use it to play anything competently at this point. It's a pretty massive learning curve. I have a lot of faith in the controller, though. I'll keep up with it until it feels right, but this thing is not going to win over console gamers buying their first Steam Machine.

Incidentally- the right pad's feedback when moving is very clicky regardless of which input it's emulating. Rather than a constant vibration it feels like a scroll wheel clicking as you turn it, almost feeling and sounding like a cat's purring. Is this normal? It works, it just doesn't feel the way I expected it would.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I've been trying Vampire Bloodline out and it feels great...unfortunately I'm at the point in the game where I got stuck and quit it, the blood guardian fight in the art gallery. I don't think it's the controller's fault that I'm still stuck here, combat in this game is just atrocious.

I find the Wii U Pro hard to reach the Y button. It's really uncomfortable. So you are saying the X button on the Steam Controller is easy to reach? If the Wii U Pro had the buttons like the 360 pad I would find it perfect.

Wish there was a way to try the Steam Controller so badly.

Then I think you will have problems reaching the X button in the steam controller. It feels far as the WIiU and the buttons are a tad smaller.

Odrion

Banned
I kinda like the touch only haptic d-pad layout. I decided to try a platformer out with just touching the facepads and it was kinda a nice and chill experience.

Blizzard

Banned
I kinda like the touch only haptic d-pad layout. I decided to try a platformer out with just touching the facepads and it was kinda a nice and chill experience.
I briefly tried Spelunky this way. I kind of like it except for the position of the buttons on the right. I increased the distance between buttons to maximum, and cranked up the size, but I still felt like the very outer rim of the pad did not register as a button press. Ideally I would like the buttons to extend out near the edge of the pad so I can avoid hitting two at once.

Jinkies

Damn, I just can't reach the face buttons without constantly adjust grip. This sucks because it look awesome.

You aren't supposed to be using the diamond buttons. It is intended that you will use the dual touchpads, shoulder buttons, and grips.

The stick and diamond buttons are really only present in an auxiliary fashion. They feel better for navigating menus, also.

Blizzard

Banned
You aren't supposed to be using the diamond buttons. It is intended that you will use the dual touchpads, shoulder buttons, and grips.

The stick and diamond buttons are really only present in an auxiliary fashion. They feel better for navigating menus, also.
I should try the left touchpad again because I had a much better time trying stick + right touchpad for Mirror's Edge than I did with dual touchpads.

Nope, the analog stick was essential. Joystick emulation and WASD feel horrible on the left trackpad.

Here are my impressions after some brief time fiddling around with it....Also, figuring out how to have both running and walking with WASD movement is a pain, as is the lack of precision with just 4 directions to press.

IMO this is the biggest issue with it so far. Valve stated this as one of the main reasons for using the controller but its not working properly in most games, there's always a long delay in feedback from the game switching to mouse look. Hopefully this is something that they are making a priority fix (if thats possible, I'm hoping its not being left up to each dev to "fix" their games). In the meantime I'm doing well with emulating the right analog stick using an aggressive curve and a few other tweaks.

But if Valve really want to attract all kinds of gamers (ie console ones), they need to be able to implement onscreen console button prompts, analog stick movement and mouse look in a functional way. That config is given as an option but it's effectively useless for now.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I'm really wanting to pick one of these up to play some old school RPG's that I've been wanting to get around to on the couch, so I have to ask. Has anyone been playing games like Fallout 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate, and Planescape Torment on this controller? If so, was the transitioning learning curve too steep? Are you having fun with it now that you got the hang of it? Is it a worthy replacement for a mouse and keyboard?

Could anyone please post a good config for Witcher 3? I own the GOG version so can't see community bindings -_-

The gamepad + precision camera default template works fine for Witcher 3 since it already supports gamepads. The only issue is that every time you use mouse or gamepad input, it instantly switches the button prompts on the UI to match what you last used.

Sorcerer

Truer words have never been spoken, I can't believe how quickly I have dismissed the analog and the diamond buttons. I shut the analog off completely. (In game anyway).

I don't think I would miss them if they were killed down the line.

It is strange how the menus in Big Picture rely so much on analog though. The trackpads being Valves baby, you would think you could navigate the menus with the trackpad. Maybe there is way but I can't figure it out.

MaxiLive

I played about 2 hours of Mind: Path to Thalamus with the Steam controller, I found the default touchpad settings far too twitchy for my liking. After a bit of tweaking I was able to make the touchpad behave in a far more consistent and smooth way.

I still not sure how to set the left touchpad to Joystick Move/buttons and retain the haptic feedback? It looks fine for mouse look but without the haptic feedback I don't like using it for WASD as I feel like I've lost a lot of precision (this is down to muscle memory :p).

Overall the experience was pretty good and I enjoyed playing the game with the Steam controller! I found it became a little uncomfortable after a while of using the analog stick and right touchpad but this might be more to do with my hands becoming accustom to the controller or me holding it incorrectly.

rpcdrag0n

I stuck with simple enough stuff as I have a PS4 and XB1 for anything that's on consoles and in turn uses a pad. So played Civ 5, Banner Saga and The Stanley Parable. Civ had a fab community layout which felt amazing.

Steam link works like a bloody dream too and is turned on by the pad, if you have the pad too.

All in all, well happy.

(Note, initially the mouse elements of the pad were really off but after a firmware update all is good - I'd highly recommend upgrading)

dsk1210

Well my steam controller has arrived today :)

At work unfortunately. Will set up some binding for older games as that's all I will be able to play until I rebuild my PC.

Anyone have a positive experience with Rome tw or a similar game (perhaps rts)?

I tried Rome last night, with someone else setup. The setup seemed logical. Right pad was mouse left pad was zoom and thumbstick was was. But I really didn't get on with it and reached for the mouse to avoid losing a crucial battle.
The main issue I had was when I wanted to "draw" a rectangle to select a group of units. I found it really hard to do this, in fact almost impossible. It seemed quite imprecise. I think when you are playing with a regular mouse once you have clicked with the mouse button to start drawing then mouse movement only affects shape of the rectangle, but with the controller pad movement kept moving the map, making it very hard to select the desired units.

I select units like this all the time when I am playing total war and I imagine a lot of other players do? So for me this was a deal breaker.

Anyone else experiencing this or have a workaround?

The gamepad + precision camera default template works fine for Witcher 3 since it already supports gamepads. The only issue is that every time you use mouse or gamepad input, it instantly switches the button prompts on the UI to match what you last used.

If I move and swing the camera with mouselook the framerate drops in half, decided to stick to CDProjects mapping that uses analog stick camera.

ZombAid82

First tried Hotline Miami with 3 different Controlmethods and didn't work as anticipated :-(
Had some other things to do on Arrival date, the next gaming session was on Sunday.

I friend of mine was over and we tried Hm again as well as Portal 2.

What can i say:

I'm impressed for the first Hands-on time with this haptic-thingy.
The first Community-presets were already uploaded, HM was thousand times better,
than the methods i tried to adjust.
Still felt strang, sure, but you get a glimpse of the precision you can get with the Controller as you move over the trackfield to reposition your Cursor.

Also i'm no FPS-Player, but from my first experience with Portal 2(with this Contreoller, finished the Game with a DS3) i think this could really be a go-to controller for the future.

Edit: Totally forgot that i tried Shovel Knight. What a shitty controller for these type of games, the "digidisc" is completly trash for that kind of 2D-Platformer imho

Unison

MrTv4Un.png

I saw this on Eurogamer.

People who preordered the Steam Controller/Link through valve are getting an email entitling them to all past/present/future Valve games.

Did anyone else get this email? I ordered from Valve, but haven't received it yet.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-19-steam-link-and-steam-controller-dont-work-with-macs-yet

Shari

MrTv4Un.png

I saw this on Eurogamer.

People who preordered the Steam Controller/Link through valve are getting an email entitling them to all past/present/future Valve games.

Did anyone else get this email? I ordered from Valve, but haven't received it yet.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-19-steam-link-and-steam-controller-dont-work-with-macs-yet

I think this gift is for mac-affected users and you'll only get it if you "complain".

Anyway my hands are open to receive if Valve decides to give all his software to his hardware buyers.

Why not change the size of the virtual pad to reduce the distance?

I cant speak for everybody but i feel dpad is much better for 2D platformers. Its the same reason i dont use analog, and the virtual pad while it does work, it doesnt feel as good. Imo it feels worst than analog, but reducing the distance could at least make it feel better.

Unison

I think this gift is for mac-affected users and you'll only get it if you "complain".

Anyway my hands are open to receive if Valve decides to give all his software to his hardware buyers.

Complain I shall... I have a mac and a steamlink.

Is Portal 2 the only game that currently has native support? It'll be interesting to see if that takes off. At the very least I hope devs are going to starting making gamepad and mouse work properly.

Top Bottom