• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

With what games and what settings? I tried Portal 2 with valve's official settings and it was nowhere close to dual stick accuracy. I could move the sticks faster but it wasn't as accurate and every time you stop moving, the screen still registers movement on your thumb and the screen moves a bit. It's very annoying.

If you can recommend what game you played and what the settings were that would be great so I can try it. At this point I just don't see how it's possible but I want to believe.

I've played shadow of mordor, the witcher 3 and borderlands 2. Aiming and camera control in all three has been leagues better than with my controller. My settings are shared in community profiles for mordor and witcher 3.

Each game is gamepad with high precision.

AlanOC91

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked.

But where do I find my uploaded community bindings? Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, it didn't save. I keep hitting "B" by an accident instead of "A".

Tenebrous

I've been playing Portal (1). Configuration is super slick! WASD with the left pad is going to take a decent amount of getting used to, though. I know I could just use the analog stick, but what's the point in that?

Dr Dogg

Tried about 40 odd games now and so far the only one that I haven't tinkered with the default settings is GTAV's. The default that Rockstar North themselves have set up is pretty much close to perfect for me that I might copy/nick what they've done and try it out on some other third person games.

It's set up pretty much like a 360 pad but they're using Gamepad with Hi Pris Camera as the template. Triggers are slightly adjusted with the right track pad set to a Joystick Move style with no adaptive centring and a linear response curve. Might need to fiddle with the sensitivity but the further from the centre you place your thumb the greater the velocity of the camera. Works quite well as placing you thumb in the centre is smack bang in the deadzone and a slight move to the left pans the camera or you can lift your thumb up and place it to the edge and the camera will whip round.

Deadstar

I've played shadow of mordor, the witcher 3 and borderlands 2. Aiming and camera control in all three has been leagues better than with my controller. My settings are shared in community profiles for mordor and witcher 3.

Each game is gamepad with high precision.

I'd be interested in trying it out with the witcher but I have the gog version. Anyone know how to view controller settings for a game you don't own on steam? Is it possible?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I think I had my eureka moment with the gyro in Wolfenstein, but only IF I can figure out how to make the gyro only activate when I'm using iron sights or shooting. Is that possible? I tried giving it a mode shift with the triggers but nothing happened.

I'd be interested in trying it out with the witcher but I have the gog version. Anyone know how to view controller settings for a game you don't own on steam? Is it possible?

add the game shortcut to steam library, launch from big picture. Doubtful you can get shared community presets, but I'd be happy to link you a template for you to recreate

Dr Dogg

I think I had my eureka moment with the gyro in Wolfenstein, but only IF I can figure out how to make the gyro only activate when I'm using iron sights or shooting. Is that possible? I tried giving it a mode shift with the triggers but nothing happened.

I've not got the gyro to activate via the triggers. Though what you can do is swap around the left trigger with the left bumper so that the bumper will bring up your sights. Then you configure the gyro to activate whilst the left bumper is active and hey presto you now have the gyro active when aiming down sights. What I do though is have it activate on the left paddle and the sensitivity of the gyro a lot lower than the trackpad so it's a complement to it and not fighting for aiming.

I'm keeping a list of little things that I think might be an improvement and will probably send an email to Valve as a way of suggestion but to have the gyro activate with a trigger press is right up the top of my list. So a soft pull to bring up your sights then a full pull to activate the gyro or a soft pull on the fire trigger to gyro and a full pull to shoot would be perfect.

Edit: Ooooorrr as a starting block for anyone wanting to mess about with gyro aiming copy this code block bellow, paste it into a text editor and save the file as something.vdf. Then place this in you Steam install root\controller_base\templates\ and you will now have a 4th template with these bindings set from the start. Tinker away to your hearts content.

Code:
"controller_mappings"
{
	"version"		"2"
	"title"		"Gyro on Left Bumper Bindings"
	"description"		"360 Pad layout with High Precision Mouse on right trackpad. Left trigger and bumper have been swapped with the left bumper activating the gyro for mouse control."

"group"
	{
		"id"		"0"
		"mode"		"four_buttons"
		"bindings"
		{
			"button_A"		"xinput_button A"
			"button_B"		"xinput_button B"
			"button_X"		"xinput_button X"
			"button_Y"		"xinput_button Y"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"1"
		"mode"		"dpad"
		"bindings"
		{
			"dpad_north"		"xinput_button dpad_up"
			"dpad_south"		"xinput_button dpad_down"
			"dpad_east"		"xinput_button dpad_right"
			"dpad_west"		"xinput_button dpad_left"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"deadzone"		"5000"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"2"
		"mode"		"joystick_camera"
		"bindings"
		{
			"click"		"xinput_button JOYSTICK_RIGHT"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"output_joystick"		"1"
			"sensitivity"		"99"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"3"
		"mode"		"joystick_move"
		"bindings"
		{
			"click"		"xinput_button JOYSTICK_LEFT"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"edge_binding_radius"		"24999"
			"sensitivity"		"99"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"4"
		"mode"		"trigger"
		"bindings"
		{
			"edge"		"xinput_button SHOULDER_LEFT"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"5"
		"mode"		"trigger"
		"bindings"
		{
			"click"		"xinput_button TRIGGER_RIGHT"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"output_trigger"		"2"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"6"
		"mode"		"absolute_mouse"
		"bindings"
		{
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"sensitivity"		"99"
			"rotation"		"15"
			"doubetap_max_duration"		"321"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"7"
		"mode"		"joystick_move"
		"bindings"
		{
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"edge_binding_radius"		"24997"
			"output_joystick"		"1"
			"sensitivity"		"98"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"8"
		"mode"		"absolute_mouse"
		"settings"
		{
			"sensitivity"		"25"
			"trackball"		"0"
			"doubetap_max_duration"		"321"
			"gyro_button"		"6"
		}
	}
	"preset"
	{
		"id"		"0"
		"name"		""
		"group_source_bindings"
		{
			"0"		"button_diamond active"
			"1"		"left_trackpad active"
			"2"		"right_trackpad inactive"
			"6"		"right_trackpad active"
			"7"		"right_trackpad inactive"
			"3"		"joystick active"
			"4"		"left_trigger active"
			"5"		"right_trigger active"
			"8"		"gyro active"
		}
		"switch_bindings"
		{
			"bindings"
			{
				"button_escape"		"xinput_button start"
				"button_menu"		"xinput_button select"
				"right_bumper"		"xinput_button shoulder_right"
				"button_back_left"		"xinput_button a"
				"button_back_right"		"xinput_button x"
				"left_bumper"		"xinput_button TRIGGER_LEFT"
			}
		}
		"settings"
		{
		}
	}
}

Developer bindings will be the best thing for this controller.

Official developer support, you mean. I tried the official Wasteland 2: Director's Cut bindings. They're literally just the default gamepad simulation config.

Which sucks, because the game won't recognize the gamepad at all until you use a mouse to enable it from the settings menu. :/

Official developer support, you mean. I tried the official Wasteland 2: Director's Cut bindings. They're literally just the default gamepad simulation config.

Which sucks, because the game won't recognize the gamepad at all until you use a mouse to enable it from the settings menu. :/

Yeah Firaxis Civ settings were barebones. No menus or panels mapped? C'mon now, ain't nobody want to track of through three windows of diplomacy text.

Nzyme32

Yeah Firaxis Civ settings were barebones. No menus or panels mapped? C'mon now, ain't nobody want to track of through three windows of diplomacy text.

I read somewhere that the developer API to do native support wasn't actually released till quite recently, so native support should be on the increase soon over simple developer bindings

AlanOC91

I'm having more fun creating configs for games over actually using the controller to play games.

The tweaking aspect is pretty fun.

So far I've made two. One for Age of Mythology and one for Dungeon Siege.

The AOM one feels pretty weak but I'm digging the Dungeon Siege one. It actually feels playable!

I tried to create one for Cold Fear but the stupid main menu in the actual game keeps glitching out on me so I just gave up on it.

I read somewhere that the developer API to do native support wasn't actually released till quite recently, so native support should be on the increase soon over simple developer bindings

That's awesome. As log as all games moving forward support gamepad + high precision, I'll never need another controller
until steam controller 2.0

What sucks is when the game is specifically programmed not to let you switch seamlessly between multiple control types.

What sucks is when the game is specifically programmed not to let you switch seamlessly between multiple control types.

yup, that's my only real issue right now. And that community templates are just arranged by when they're uploaded. Need a away to filter and have the good ones rise up! I assume it'll be included at a later date

Unai

I'm having more fun creating configs for games over actually using the controller to play games.

The tweaking aspect is pretty fun.

So far I've made two. One for Age of Mythology and one for Dungeon Siege.

The AOM one feels pretty weak but I'm digging the Dungeon Siege one. It actually feels playable!

I tried to create one for Cold Fear but the stupid main menu in the actual game keeps glitching out on me so I just gave up on it.

Yeah, it sounds really fun to create all this different configs. I'm thinking about a lot of settings and games that I want to try for months.

1upmuffin

If anyone plays Worms Armageddon, I think my configuration works pretty well, though I haven't compared it to the other ones. Mine is either listed under 1upmuffin or futuramaguy42.

Jinkies

With more configuration options (yes, MORE), the lack of simultaneous gamepad+mouse support won't be as bothersome. Better analog smoothing for WASD and a good solution to change modes quickly (for vehicles, menus, et al) in bespoke configurations will improve the experience a great deal.

Fans of various games will strive to create better and better configurations as long as Valve continues to improve and add to their capabilities.

With more configuration options (yes, MORE), the lack of simultaneous gamepad+mouse support won't be as bothersome. Better analog smoothing for WASD and a good solution to change modes quickly (for vehicles, menus, et al) in bespoke configurations will improve the experience a great deal.

Fans of various games will strive to create better and better configurations as long as Valve continues to improve and add to their capabilities.

We definitely need more. I wanna mode shift all the things, including triggers.

Welp.

At first I was kind of doubting if this would be as good as I thought it was going to be, with the trackpads, for FPS. I was ready to eat crow like nobody's business, I was wrong, yadda yadda yadda. I couldn't really find a good sweet spot where I could move the aim quickly, and still be able to make fine adjustments without issue. I figured I might be able to eventually adjust to it, but it was hardly the leap I expected. It was good for games like GW2 or DS2, where specific fine adjustments aren't totally necessary, but I could barely hit a damn thing in CSGO's weapons demo.

Then I saw the MGSV gyro + trackpad video, and tried setting it up for CSGO. Ran a quick test just to get my hands on the controls and to adjust the settings.

Holy.
Shit.

Let's keep in mind here: I am not a good CS player. I do not play it very often, and even when I do I consider it awesome to go 1:1 KD. Headshots? Pfff. Fuggitabout it.

But in literally my first match, I was already matching my usual CS performance when I've been playing for a few weeks. I was actually nailing some headshots, with extremely small amount of time to get acclimated to it. I ended up going 6:8 in my first match, and the last two deaths were due to me being cocky and making retarded moves. Overall, I am INCREDIBLY impressed with this. I never thought I'd be leaning back and actually contributing some to a CS match. It's official, I love this thing.
Really, the savior isn't the trackpads, though those are great -- it's the gyro.

laxu

Turning off the trackball mode is great for any shooters. Found that it is more accurate to use. For games that don't require aiming (just camera control) the trackball is great though.

I'm now loving the gyro for driving in GTA V. Just needed some dead zone tweaking to get it feeling right.

For Witcher 3 I used the mode shift and multi-button bindings to turn the joystick into a spell caster: hold right grip and hit joystick to a direction to launch a spell.

This is a damn good controller. The analog stick is probably the best feeling one I've tried, maybe because it is new and still tight but it feels really solid.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
How do you change the controller settings for just the desktop in Big Picture Mode? I just see game controller settings. Will changing that affect what it does normally? I want to try using the controller for normal non-game stuff instead of the keyboard and mouse, but the settings differ depending on whether Steam is open and/or BPM is active. The browser in BPM has the best configuration (dpad scrolling, soft trigger click vibration, grips being back and forward), but it crashed when I clicked on YouTube links, and froze for a bit while loading Neogaf. In Chrome, everything is more manual with less button functions, but there's no onscreen keyboard. And I only get a good vibration level if I turn on the controller while Steam is either off or just isn't in BPM. Turning on BPM gimps the feel, and I don't know how to change the vibration for it normally without changing the game controls.

Also, since this is my first continued experience with BPM, I noticed that games and the user interface (at least while the game is running) causes overscan, cutting off a third of the friend/achievement notification that pops up. It's real annoying, but I fixed it by switching the video settings (in Portal 2) to Borderless Window rather than Fullscreen. Now I can see everything I'm meant to, but the picture is slightly yellow because it's not outside of Flux's (
color softening app to cut down on harsh computer lighting
) influence anymore.

EDIT: I just switched the resolution from fullscreen 1080 to fullscreen 1600x900 (Native) and it fixed the overscan without changing the color. It could just be the TV I'm on.

pmj

Had about 10 minutes to try out another game, Portal 2, and it was a disaster.

The menus don't work with the controller, so I had to use the keyboard for that. In game it's incredibly hard to not just initially aim where I want but to then keep aiming at that point, even when I'm standing still and am trying to put a portal on a stationary surface right in front of me.

Holding a finger on the up or right areas of the touchpad will make me slowly look down which seems to be indicating a problem. It's possible that my aiming issues are caused by drift. Bottom or left parts of the pad don't exhibit the same behavior.

When turned on during desktop use, every couple of minutes the mouse cursor used to make a small jump followed by the controller rattling where it's sitting unused on the other side of the desk. I think that has stopped at least, after I restarted the controller.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Had about 10 minutes to try out another game, Portal 2, and it was a disaster.

The menus don't work with the controller, so I had to use the keyboard for that. In game it's incredibly hard to not just initially aim where I want but to then keep aiming at that point, even when I'm standing still and am trying to put a portal on a stationary surface right in front of me.

Holding a finger on the up or right areas of the touchpad will make me slowly look down which seems to be indicating a problem. It's possible that my aiming issues are caused by drift. Bottom or left parts of the pad don't exhibit the same behavior.

When turned on during desktop use, every couple of minutes the mouse cursor used to make a small jump followed by the controller rattling where it's sitting unused on the other side of the desk. I think that has stopped at least, after I restarted the controller.

Do you have motion controls on? One of the two main settings for Portal 2 has motion controls, which turn on while touching the right pad. It's for aim assist, and is kind of cool if you actually want to use it on purpose.

pmj

Do you have motion controls on? One of the two main settings for Portal 2 has motion controls, which turn on while touching the right pad. It's for aim assist, and is kind of cool if you actually want to use it on purpose.

Not sure and no time to investigate right now, but I did confirm the drift while having a finger on the pad by putting it down on the desk so that it wasn't moving. When placing my index finger on the top edge of the pad, it slowly turns the camera downward.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Another question on the settings: how do I manually change the vibration of thw right pad? I need to turn it up, but it's only showing me 5 options in the settings: In-Game Action, Click Actiom, Trackball Mode, Sensitivity, and Invert Vertical Axis. I'm in Portal 2 right now. Do I need to choose a different game, maybe one with built-in vibration settings?

Russ T

Banned
I know that everyone's espousing the greatness of using the touch pad like a mouse or trackball, and that's great, but for some games, like Telltale's games, that makes the game switch back and forth between UI modes, which is obviously infuriating...

Is there a way to make the "gamepad simulation" on the right pad act so that the "center" of the stick is wherever you pressed on the pad, instead of actually the center of the pad?

Sorta like crappy mobile games do, actually, heh. It's just that I rarely ever hit the center dead on and I have to move my thumb to find it, waiting for that haptic feedback so I know where I am. (That feedback is so useful, though. Props for that, at least.)

Not sure and no time to investigate right now, but I did confirm the drift while having a finger on the pad by putting it down on the desk so that it wasn't moving. When placing my index finger on the top edge of the pad, it slowly turns the camera downward.

I reboot my controller when that happens and that fixes it.

Deadstar

Another question on the settings: how do I manually change the vibration of thw right pad? I need to turn it up, but it's only showing me 5 options in the settings: In-Game Action, Click Actiom, Trackball Mode, Sensitivity, and Invert Vertical Axis. I'm in Portal 2 right now. Do I need to choose a different game, maybe one with built-in vibration settings?

It should say something like "intensity" or something along those lines.

Iorv3th

I believe you have to click advanced and under that it should have haptics. Under haptics it has 4 options: Off, Low, Normal, High.

I know that everyone's espousing the greatness of using the touch pad like a mouse or trackball, and that's great, but for some games, like Telltale's games, that makes the game switch back and forth between UI modes, which is obviously infuriating...

Is there a way to make the "gamepad simulation" on the right pad act so that the "center" of the stick is wherever you pressed on the pad, instead of actually the center of the pad?

Sorta like crappy mobile games do, actually, heh. It's just that I rarely ever hit the center dead on and I have to move my thumb to find it, waiting for that haptic feedback so I know where I am. (That feedback is so useful, though. Props for that, at least.)

Yeah, you want "Joystick Camera" (I think is what's it's called) as opposed to "Joystick Move" (or something like that).

I think earlier in the thread someone mentioned that it may not be possible to adjust the haptics in Portal 2. It's sort of ironic, but it seems that games with native support for the steam controller may generally have fewer configuration options than those without.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I think earlier in the thread someone mentioned that it may not be possible to adjust the haptics in Portal 2. It's sort of ironic, but it seems that games with native support for the steam controller may generally have fewer configuration options than those without.

So that does mean I'll have to change game settings to affevt the normal controller settings? How do you do stuff normally when the settings are always getting changed? Do you have to go back to the right game every time you want to reset the standard settings? Or is the controller not meant to ever be operated outside of games?

So that does mean I'll have to change game settings to affevt the normal controller settings? How do you do stuff normally when the settings are always getting changed? Do you have to go back to the right game every time you want to reset the standard settings? Or is the controller not meant to ever be operated outside of games?

I think the model is that all settings for the controller are specific to an application. It doesn't have "normal" or "standard" settings.

Yep I think it's somewhere in advanced settings when you select the right pad. Can't remember the actual description for it tho.

Speaking of which, valves description for some of the settings are going to be really impenetrable for a lot of users. Mapping and tweaking is half the brilliance of the controller but for a lot of people the very technical text will be hard to understand.

Still love it though. All I want from here on is native gamepad and high precision camera support in all new games. And for ubisoft to do something about letting me play their games properly with it.

It's actually pretty amazing how well the community aspect has come along in only a few days. Thats going to be one of the major strengths in future. I mean, who even considered gyro aiming until a day or 2 ago?!

Look for a template like gamepad + joystick camera (I don't know if this still exists). Or try messing with joystick move, because that has adaptive centering in the advanced options. Joystick camera does not.

Russ T

Banned
Yeah, you want "Joystick Camera" (I think is what's it's called) as opposed to "Joystick Move" (or something like that).

Yep I think it's somewhere in advanced settings when you select the right pad. Can't remember the actual description for it tho.

Look for a template like gamepad + joystick camera. Or try messing with joystick move, because that has adaptive centering in the advanced options. Joystick camera does not.

I wanna say I tried that already, but I must be mistaken! I'll give it another shot when I get home tonight. Thanks!

Speaking of which, valves description for some of the settings are going to be really impenetrable for a lot of users. Mapping and tweaking is half the brilliance of the controller but for a lot of people the very technical text will be hard to understand.

Still love it though. All I want from here on is native gamepad and high precision camera support in all new games. And for ubisoft to do something about letting me play their games properly with it.

It's actually pretty amazing how well the community aspect has come along in only a few days. Thats going to be one of the major strengths in future. I mean, who even considered gyro aiming until a day or 2 ago?!

Yeah for sure I'm super excited for the future.

Also I didn't even know there WAS gyro in the controller until they started going out, heh.

Mindman

I scanned the last few pages but didn't find any videos displaying the trackpad + gyro aiming you guys are talking about. I'm not understanding how the gyro helps trackpad aiming. :\

I wanna say I tried that already, but I must be mistaken! I'll give it another shot when I get home tonight. Thanks!

Dogg mentioned it above when setting up GTAV

It's set up pretty much like a 360 pad but they're using Gamepad with Hi Pris Camera as the template. Triggers are slightly adjusted with the right track pad set to a Joystick Move style with no adaptive centring and a linear response curve. Might need to fiddle with the sensitivity but the further from the centre you place your thumb the greater the velocity of the camera. Works quite well as placing you thumb in the centre is smack bang in the deadzone and a slight move to the left pans the camera or you can lift your thumb up and place it to the edge and the camera will whip round.

So yeah, pick Joystick Move for the right pad, then you can tinker with the centering.

And this is what Krejlooc said in the previous thread:

And the method of controlling the right pad as an analog stick - where the center of the pad is the center of the stick, is a generic gamepad option. A better solution is available under the template Gamepad + Joystick Camera, which changes the way the right pad works. With Joystick Camera, where ever you put your thumb down on the track pad becomes the deadzone, and you pull outward from there to move the analog stick. As you pull outward, the haptics start to fire off more as you reach the extents, and it kind of feels like stretching a rubber band taut. This mode is much better than the template known as generic gamepad. If you enable generic gamepad, then the center of the right touchpad is always the deadzone area.

I don't know if that template still exists, though this makes it sound like Joystick Camera should do what you ask for, without that template.

I scanned the last few pages but didn't find any videos displaying the trackpad + gyro aiming you guys are talking about. I'm not understanding how the gyro helps trackpad aiming. :\

It just made my CS game about as good as I am with a mouse, so yeah, it helps quite a bit.

brau

I am thinking of picking this up.

I have my rig in my living room, so replacing my M+K with this controller would be great. How does the controller do with just M+K games?

I am going through the thread, but i thought i might ask to see if i can get some feedback.

Deadstar

So I just realized that this controller doesn't have rumble in the traditional sense, like if a bomb goes off your controller would shake on the 360 gamepad. Is that correct? The pads rumble but I'm talking about the entire controller shaking. I guess that would throw off the haptics?

Branson

I am thinking of picking this up.

I have my rig in my living room, so replacing my M+K with this controller would be great. How does the controller do with just M+K games?

I am going through the thread, but i thought i might ask to see if i can get some feedback.

This controller is basically best used as a companion to a 360 or XO controller. It would work very well with a lot of MK only games. You can also control windows with it, which I have found invaluable laying in bed and watching videos on Giant Bomb or something.

Dr Dogg

Dogg mentioned it above when setting up GTAV

So yeah, pick Joystick Move for the right pad, then you can tinker with the centering.

Yeah pretty much that but change adaptive centring to on and then regardless where your finger touches on the trackpad that becomes your centre point. Works alright for camera control in third person title but a bit wonky for me when you need to aim.

Top Bottom