• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Dr Dogg

Oh someone mentioned about Blizzard/Battle.net games earlier. To get the Steam overlay/BPM working you need to link to a shortcut of the games' executable and then set the target line argument to -launcher. This will then skip the Battle.net client and boot in to the game proper. You'll have to manually log in and authenticate but you can then get into the overlay to set up your bindings. In theory once these are set you should be able to link back to the standard shortcut and let the Battle.net client log you in and still have your bindings set (haven't tried it yet sorry).

Edit: Hmmm did the gyro always have that symbol in the settings menu? Might make peeps more aware of it now ha!

pmj

The official settings are apparently a complete disaster. Can't wait to get my gamepad and try this gyro business, sounds amazing.

Wow, that might have been a big part of it.

I switched to the motion controls one and was a whole lot more stable. I still have some issues, such as the reticle moving a bit when I press down a trigger, but it no longer looks like I'm a drunk with Parkinson's attempting to play a game for the first time in his life, so that's great.

Mattenth

re: Desktop Profile - I really wish there were some way to bring up that sexy Steam keyboard while using the desktop. The keyboard is definitely one of the more welcome parts of the experience for me - the flower-wheel was pretty miserable, but the double touchpad typing has me typing faster than on my phone.

My overall review: I just don't see why. Feels like "different for the sake of different." Or that Valve just took the "Civ 5 on the couch" problem to an extreme that just doesn't work for a majority of games.

A lot of the tutorial videos make statements like "Trust me, it's better than the gamepad." That might be true, but is it really that much better? Obviously for traditional KB+M games, it's much better (Cities Skylines, Civ, etc.), but even then, those cases are limited. I don't think anyone would seriously play LoL or DotA 2 with this thing.

The only genres in the keyboard/mouse space that this seems to really assist are simulation, point-and-click adventures, and turn based strategy. But most other genres, I just don't see how it's "worth it." With the gamepad, I'm never going to have to learn the controls, and I'm never going to have to configure the controller. With most games, all of that works right out of the box.

And I have no clue how this thing will ever be more than a niche product. The learning curve is steep, and while there might be a slightly better experience at the end, I don't think the appeal of "Civ 5 on your couch" is enough of a motivator for the average gamer.

The only thing I can give it credit for is its price. $50 for this thing feels pretty good. While the build quality could have been a little better, it's impressive that they could squeeze in such nice precision for a low price point. Even with my disappointments and frustrations, $50 feels pretty fair. I'd be returning it if it was priced higher, but I think I'll hang onto it here.

I'm guessing that, come November, I'll end up on the Xbox Elite controller though. I just don't think I have it in me to configure profiles and learn the feel for each game individually, which it seems like this controller demands.

re: Desktop Profile - I really wish there were some way to bring up that sexy Steam keyboard while using the desktop. The keyboard is definitely one of the more welcome parts of the experience for me - the flower-wheel was pretty miserable, but the double touchpad typing has me typing faster than on my phone.

My overall review: I just don't see why. Feels like "different for the sake of different." Or that Valve just took the "Civ 5 on the couch" problem to an extreme that just doesn't work for a majority of games.

A lot of the tutorial videos make statements like "Trust me, it's better than the gamepad." That might be true, but is it really that much better? Obviously for traditional KB+M games, it's much better (Cities Skylines, Civ, etc.), but even then, those cases are limited. I don't think anyone would seriously play LoL or DotA 2 with this thing.

The only genres in the keyboard/mouse space that this seems to really assist are simulation, point-and-click adventures, and turn based strategy. But most other genres, I just don't see how it's "worth it." With the gamepad, I'm never going to have to learn the controls, and I'm never going to have to configure the controller. With most games, all of that works right out of the box.

And I have no clue how this thing will ever be more than a niche product. The learning curve is steep, and while there might be a slightly better experience at the end, I don't think the appeal of "Civ 5 on your couch" is enough of a motivator for the average gamer.

The only thing I can give it credit for is its price. $50 for this thing feels pretty good. While the build quality could have been a little better, it's impressive that they could squeeze in such nice precision for a low price point. Even with my disappointments and frustrations, $50 feels pretty fair. I'd be returning it if it was priced higher, but I think I'll hang onto it here.

I'm guessing that, come November, I'll end up on the Xbox Elite controller though. I just don't think I have it in me to configure profiles and learn the feel for each game individually, which it seems like this controller demands.

Well, with Gyro aiming, it approaches the accuracy of a mouse, instead of the loltastic gamepad sticks. I can actually play CS with a controller, with VERY little adjustment time (my total time actually played with the controller is around 3 hours, across all games). Soooooo yeah I'm gonna say that's worth it, playing a CS game as competantly as I normally do with a controller, leaning back in my seat.

Nzyme32

Well Holy fuck.

The trackball, gyro combo works a treat in third person shooters like MGS V and with some adjustments should work well for FPS.

I was hesitant to get this, but you guys are starting to sell me on it.

It comes down to FPS accuracy for me. If I can ditch the mouse for aiming, I'll do it.

But I HATE the traditional analog stick setup, so if it's more like the sticks than a mouse, then I'll pass.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

IMO thus far third person games like the Witcher 3 are the game changer. Having the precious of trackball mouse look on the camera is awesome. Absolutely destroys the analog stick camera.

FPS have been the only thing I haven't really gotten used to yet. Going to try some of H3XAntiStyle recommendations tonight.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I just played through 75% of Life is Strange with the Steam Controller. I finished the last 20 minutes or so with the XBO controller. I don't know if I can go back to the XBO as my main controller anymore. At least for third-person games. I need to do more testing with platformers and first-person games in the coming days to properly form an opinion on those.

Overall, I'm quite impressed with the controller. The ergonomics are by far the best feature. The trackpads are a huge step-up for aiming. The grip buttons are a great step forward.

I do hope Valve evolves it in the coming years. I like the idea of community mods and 3D printed controllers but no one else puts out proper quality like a team of professionals.

I was hesitant to get this, but you guys are starting to sell me on it.

It comes down to FPS accuracy for me. If I can ditch the mouse for aiming, I'll do it.

But I HATE the traditional analog stick setup, so if it's more like the sticks than a mouse, then I'll pass.

The weirdest thing about using the Steam controller is once it clicks, you'll swear you're using a mouse. It has all of that direct control, with none of the unresponsive slowness of the control stick.

I absolutely abhor using sticks for anything more intensive than basic camera control, and I love the steam controller enough to start playing CS GO again.

Krejlooc

Banned
I just played through 75% of Life is Strange with the Steam Controller. I finished the last 20 minutes or so with the XBO controller. I don't know if I can go back to the XBO as my main controller anymore. At least for third-person games. I need to do more testing with platformers and first-person games in the coming days to properly form an opinion on those.

Overall, I'm quite impressed with the controller. The ergonomics are by far the best feature. The trackpads are a huge step-up for aiming. The grip buttons are a great step forward.

I do hope Valve evolves it in the coming years. I like the idea of community mods and 3D printed controllers but no one else puts out proper quality like a team of professionals.

Its been interesting watching your specific opinion change over the course of a weekend plus change. The controller has a learning curve, but I always meant it when I said it was the best controller I had ever used.

Later tonight I'm going to try and make a video that I think should help people see what the benefits are, as well as bringing up specific complaints that others have had. I figured Krejlooc would have already done that though...

Interfectum

Its been interesting watching your specific opinion change over the course of a weekend plus change. The controller has a learning curve, but I always meant it when I said it was the best controller I had ever used.

Yeah you nailed it. When I first used it my hate level was pretty high. I put it down for a day then went back to it with a new attitude (no hype).

What's funny now is when switching back and forth between the PS4 controller and this I already like the feel of the Steam controller better. That right stick on the PS4 now annoys me. I never thought that would happen. I'm not 100% comfortable with it yet... maybe not even 50% (not used to the R/L buttons on top and the 4 xbox buttons). But I know it's the real deal. Going from Witcher 3 to Cities Skylines to Team Fortress 2 on one controller with tons of different community driven control options is goddamn brilliant.

Jon Armdog

Not sure if this is helpful to anyone, or if this is the right thread, but I was finally able to score a Steam Controller. Previously, I whiffed on the whole last minute GameStop preorder. Over the last few days, I've been watching EBay for any deals. Yesterday, I missed on one auction that sold for $48, and another for $52. Today, I actually won a controller for $55 (buy it now best offer, negotiated from $60).

My point here is just that you can still probably get one a bit early if you keep an eye out. Some on eBay are just extras scalpers bought expecting more demand, others tried it briefly and didn't like it.

The Cowboy

OK I'm fully converted now, I'll be sticking with the Steam pad and will be getting rid of my Xbone pad, with default settings for shooters etc the pad is decent enough and is only IMO just a bit better than using a regular pad - but with a slight gyro assist enabled for fine tuning, its just so much better its actually quite shocking.

The gyro is really dam precise/quick and it feels like it has no input lag at all (or at least feels like is has none), i only wish it was possible to disable the haptics on the gyro on certain games (Portal 2 etc) - its really annoying having the sound, i know I'm using it, i don't need the sound to tell me i am.

All in all, my 2 main issues now are the size of the face buttons (I'll get used to these) and the terrible short throw on the triggers (i can't see myself ever liking these).

Foxyone

Krej, when you did that aiming test a while ago when you were having an argument with Durante, did you make use of the gyro at all? I was wondering if that affected performance much in your opinion / experience because I've been hearing positive impressions so far.

It is just recognised as a mouse. Right track pad is mouse. Left and right mouse clicks are reversed with the left and right shoulder triggers. (no idea why valve have done this).

That's definitely not all it's recognized as. The tumbstick scrolls up and down on webpages, and the other buttons are recognized as keyboard inputs, I'm just not sure which ones yet

desktop profile has been updated: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/3piezw/steam_client_beta_update_oct_20th/cw6k2qv

And then you see this and it might be even better: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/3pc69q/valve_dev_shows_gyro_aiming_with_the_steam/

The guy who made that vid you watched said will make one about this too.

There we go

Also, does anyone know why there seems to be a different profile for using the controller on my Mac without Steam running, and then it changes whenever I start Steam (namely, the mouse haptics get turned off)

Put in some more hours with Steam Link + Steam Controller last night...

While I'm getting better at Witcher 3, it still a bit of a slog. I can't quite get the right pad feeling good. I found a new config in Rocket League that puts the accel and boost on a single trigger and that shit feels great.

It's kind of crazy to be able to play Witcher, RL, Cities: Skylines, Team Fortress 2 and a bunch of random indie Steam games from the comfort of my lounge chair, no kb/m with a Steam Controller connected to Steam Link. When it works properly, it's brilliant.
Dual stage trigger was the first thing I did in Rocket League. I should have uploaded it but glad someone else has done it anyway.

Blizzard

Banned
The right hand is, for most people, the dominant hand, it makes sense to use the right trigger for left click.
My problem is that I don't understand how to use the right trigger without moving the mouse.

If I try to use the very tip of my thumb and lift off before even trying to press the trigger, that seems to create awkward/painful/repetitive-stress-injury-inducing hand positions for me.

If I try to use more of my thumb and then lift off, it is difficult or impossible to select something precisely when I lift my thumb off.

If I try to keep my thumb on, then I will move the mouse when I try to reach for the trigger (and/or move the mouse even more when I try to press the trigger through its long press range, and/or move the mouse even more when I try to then actually click the trigger to make the click happen).

If I try to use the first pad of my right middle finger on the trigger, it creates painful/awkward hand positions to attempt to click the trigger (even worse if I lift my thumb off first so there's less to brace against).

If I try to use the finger tip of my right middle finger, the hand/wrist position gets even worse. Maybe right index finger would work better for mouse usage.

I haven't checked whether the new desktop setup supports the gyro, which could help once I take my thumb off the pad. Some of my problems may also be specific to having big hands and long fingers.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
OK I'm fully converted now, I'll be sticking with the Steam pad and will be getting rid of my Xbone pad, with default settings for shooters etc the pad is decent enough and is only IMO just a bit better than using a regular pad - but with a slight gyro assist enabled for fine tuning, its just so much better its actually quite shocking.

The gyro is really dam precise/quick and it feels like it has no input lag at all (or at least feels like is has none), i only wish it was possible to disable the haptics on the gyro on certain games (Portal 2 etc) - its really annoying having the sound, i know I'm using it, i don't need the sound to tell me i am.

All in all, my 2 main issues now are the size of the face buttons (I'll get used to these) and the terrible short throw on the triggers (i can't see myself ever liking these).

Hmm, gyro for fine aim... sounds promising. Do you just map both the gyro and the right pad to mouse with different sensitivity?

Edit: nm, just saw the link above. https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/3pc69q/valve_dev_shows_gyro_aiming_with_the_steam/

Looking forward to trying that shortly. It should be great for Star Citizen.

My problem is that I don't understand how to use the right trigger without moving the mouse.

If I try to use the very tip of my thumb and lift off before even trying to press the trigger, that seems to create awkward/painful/repetitive-stress-injury-inducing hand positions for me.

If I try to use more of my thumb and then lift off, it is difficult or impossible to select something precisely when I lift my thumb off.

If I try to keep my thumb on, then I will move the mouse when I try to reach for the trigger (and/or move the mouse even more when I try to press the trigger through its long press range, and/or move the mouse even more when I try to then actually click the trigger to make the click happen).

If I try to use the first pad of my right middle finger on the trigger, it creates painful/awkward hand positions to attempt to click the trigger (even worse if I lift my thumb off first so there's less to brace against).

If I try to use the finger tip of my right middle finger, the hand/wrist position gets even worse. Maybe right index finger would work better for mouse usage.

I haven't checked whether the new desktop setup supports the gyro, which could help once I take my thumb off the pad. Some of my problems may also be specific to having big hands and long fingers.

I believe you can define the movement threshold under the advanced settings.

Nerrel

So I just realized that this controller doesn't have rumble in the traditional sense, like if a bomb goes off your controller would shake on the 360 gamepad. Is that correct? The pads rumble but I'm talking about the entire controller shaking. I guess that would throw off the haptics?

I didn't see this answered. No, there's no rumble. The controller has haptic feedback for the trackpads and analog triggers, which creates sensations of spinning a trackball, clicking a mouse, or pushing an analog stick, among other things. This feedback is only meant for enhancing your sense of control, not for force feedback from game events.

Honestly, traditional rumble would probably distract you and disrupt the haptic feedback and make your thumb positioning less clear. Not to mention it wouldn't have any input to rumble with in kb+mouse mode, which seems to be the most practical way to use this thing.

No, currently that's not possible. Others have expressed the need for it. Some have probably written about this to Valve already or will in the future, like Dogg said he will.

Wait... why does it list "left trigger" in the modifier selection box? I tried setting up the gryo with the left trigger pull for RE6, but regardless it only activates when my thumb is on the right trackpad.

I'm actually having a lot of trouble getting the gyro settings to behave. I can't remove the left trigger modifier at all now- if I select "nothing" in the drop box it just reverts back to left trigger when I try to back out of my settings. I'd rather have the gyro "always on" than to only activate with the right pad, but I'm not sure how to enable that. That way I could at least recalibrate it.

Valve really could have made this a lot clearer to configure. Even finding the gyro setting box was a challenge at first, since it's basically an invisible blank space under the controller that's not directly indicated in any way. But again, the gyro does work fantastically well when it's doing what you want it to.

Nerrel

I'm getting absolutely no haptic feedback on the trackpads, even when I put the intensity on high.

That sounds like a defect, but just in case, they won't respond unless you've mapped in and performed an input that works in the game. For instance, earlier I had set up a D pad emulation on the pad but forgot to map in the inputs. The pad did nothing when my thumb was on it because there was no input being delivered to the game.

I assume you do have inputs mapped, so that's likely not the problem. Minimize Steam and try it out on your desktop as a kb+mouse. With the newest Steam update, the haptics should be easily apparent there when touching the left pad. If you still get no haptics on your desktop, there's a problem.

That sounds like a defect, but just in case, they won't respond unless you've mapped an input that works in the game. For instance, I had set up a D pad emulation but didn't have inputs mapped in. The pad did nothing when my thumb was on it because there was no input being delivered to the game.

I assume you do have inputs mapped, so that's likely not the problem. Minimize Steam and try it out on your desktop as a kb+mouse. With the newest Steam update, the haptics should be easily apparent there when touching the left pad. If you still get no haptics, there's a problem.

It's not the hardware. When I boot it up, I get it just fine.
It seems to disappear once I'm in a game, particularly with the right one. The left one actually I can feel when browsing the web after more testing.

EDIT: So it seems to be working just fine for me right now. Not sure what the previous problem was.
I will say this, I prefer having the haptic feedback, but it definitely is overrated. It does feel like a trackball, it feels like painless static electricity.

Tenebrous

Beat Portal entirely with the controller. There were a few moments (the platform/momentum part towards the end) where it took multiple mini-attempts, but that was entirely down to me getting used the controller. Overall, I'm much better with it than I was at the start of the run, and it's great how pleasurable & natural the controller is to use.

JoeBoy101

Finally get the controller and despite it turning on and the computer recognizing it, fucking thing won't connect to steam and steam won't recognize it. Even plugged it in directly to the computer and it still won't pair it, despite using the controller to navigate the damn window.

soco

Got the steam email about osx compatibility lacking.

I guess that explains many of the problems I was having. Strange they just sent it out, though.

Trackball mode is great even for third-person games where you don't have to aim. I'm really close to chucking my DS4 I just need more games to support simultaneous gamepad and mouse use.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Got the steam email about osx compatibility lacking.

I guess that explains many of the problems I was having. Strange they just sent it out, though.
You might want to check your recent game additions also, Santa Gabe gave presents to all of us with Macs it appears.

JoeBoy101

Finally got it to work with this:

Open device manager
Expand "Razor Device"
Unplug/replug steam dongle (Take note of which things disapear, reapear when you do this)
Right click on all those devices and select "Uninstall"
If you have a check box asking to unsinall software as well, make sure you check it first.
Unplug/replug steam dongle
Start big picture, go to settings/controller/add steam controller
Hold x and steam button when powering on

Seems like if you don't do the initial pairing right, your computer starts trying to add multiple controllers or something.

Ryaaan14

Banned
You might want to check your recent game additions also, Santa Gabe gave presents to all of us with Macs it appears.

And without Macs. Someone should make a thread.

We've added the Valve Complete Pack to your Steam account as a gift from Valve. This will give you all of Valve's games (past, present and future) free of charge. You can still choose to refund your Steam Controller and/or Steam Link (refund instructions below), but the Valve games are yours to keep.

FUTURE?

chekhonte

I just want a steam link for managing all my different controllers. I just want to make sure that I can use the steam link with my normal PC and monitor with out streaming. I really have no need for this as my PC is already connected to my TV.

I just want to swap between controllers wirelessly in a single solution plus I can't do my ps3/4 controllers since I use my bluetooth device for headphones nearly every day and they won't pair if I install the ps3 controller bluetooth drivers.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Eusis

The interesting thing about that is whether they ever make a game that's not f2p again.
That was my thought process. Might be more "Ha, joke's on you, we're not putting out non-F2P games anyway!"

Although if buying that pack entitles you to SOMETHING in their F2P games like with the TF2 Proof of Purchase, well, that's something.
Nevermind that it's a good gesture regardless.

I've been looking at getting GTA5 for PC at GMG, and I was wondering if the experience with controller configurations is drastically different with a game not bought/redeemed on steam vs a game that is?

ModBot said:
Instructions for SixStringPsycho:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (SixStringPsycho, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bionic Commando: Rearmed -- MB-3862B72F0480B986
Knights of The Old Republic -- MB-9B9861E62311E606 - Taken by UnaiGamer. 1 entrants total.
Dragon Age Origins (Steam) -- MB-C5483ADBB4A6DFC4
Knights of The Old Republic 2 -- MB-D585DF55D7AF7A0B - Taken by Mikurden. 2 entrants total.

t1445392054z1.png

Here ya go guys. Have Fun!

Unai

I've been looking at getting GTA5 for PC at GMG, and I was wondering if the experience with controller configurations is drastically different with a game not bought/redeemed on steam vs a game that is?

Well, the most important thing is that you can't download settings made by other users through the Steam Interface. There's a thread dedicated so sharing settings of non steam games by coping some configuration files, though.

Top Bottom