• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

dsk1210

Gyro and trackball is amazing, I could not believe how natural it feels when set properly.

I am genuinely surprised that not many people are taking about it, it's a game changer and I think could make this controller as viable as KB&M (at least for me)

NotSelf

I've been playing minecraft with the controller and it's been fun definitely a learning curve but you get used to it. Went back to playing bloodborne and now the DS4 feels odd lol.

kami_sama

It is just recognised as a mouse. Right track pad is mouse. Left and right mouse clicks are reversed with the left and right shoulder triggers. (no idea why valve have done this).
The right hand is, for most people, the dominant hand, it makes sense to use the right trigger for left click.

A lot of my initial frustrations were trying to use the controller with games outside of steam, such as my battle.net games. For the life of me, even through all the work a rounds like going directly to the .exes for each game, I can't get the steam overlay to stick with them, and when it does, it is a garbled up mess that asks me to input a cd key/won't let me configure my controller for the game.

My hope is that someone comes up with a way to flash/bind the controller like you can in big picture, but outside of steam.

People have been sharing their configs in this thread: www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1125840 Obviously it's not as convenient as using the BPM config, but it's a start. Also I recall Dr Dogg mentioning Diablo 3, so maybe ask him to share his config. It's weird the overlay isn't working for you though. Others managed to add Battle.net to Steam without issues.

MNC

Any way to have the Steam Controller act as an extra mouse, so the original mouse can be used for a different player? (Or vice versa)

d00d3n

Natively? None so far.
Like "dev supplied bindings"? I found Assault on Android Cactus has a profile made by the creators, and it is next-level awesome.

Thanks. Sadly, the Steam controller did not even work in Portal 2 for me ... :( Completely unresponsive in game, but active when I go to the Steam community.Actually, it started working past the main menu, so I guess I have nothing to complain about.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Other than Portal 2, which games have good Steam controller support? (got mine today)

There are a lot of games that have a developer supplied/recommended profile for the steam controller. However, a lot of the time these are pretty bare-bones profiles and you are better off trying community profiles or building upon the recommended one yourself.

Half the time these developer profiles are just set to mimic a 360 controller with analog stick emulation which is rarely the best route in most cases. Especially with mouse aim is so good on the controller.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It seems Assassin's Creed Unity doesn't allow mouse and joystick at the same time. Another reason why that game is a disappointment.

I hope games start allowing mouse and controller inputs at the same time now that this is out. I can't imagine there's a good reason why not.

Oh well, I guess I might as well try WASD controls and see how limiting that feels. I'm never going to use the pad as a joystick.

Iorv3th

It seems Assassin's Creed Unity doesn't allow mouse and joystick at the same time. Another reason why that game is a disappointment.

I hope games start allowing mouse and controller inputs at the same time now that this is out. I can't imagine there's a good reason why not.

Oh well, I guess I might as well try WASD controls and see how limiting that feels. I'm never going to use the pad as a joystick.

There are a few that don't run correctly when mixing gamepad/mouse. Dying Light doesn't work mixed either. Have to choose either gamepad or kb/mouse.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Something I could do in Xpadder is mapping a slight tilt of the joystick to something like alt+WASD for walking or a full tilt for shift+WASD for sprinting.

Is there a way to do that with the steam interface?

Something I could do in Xpadder is mapping a slight tilt of the joystick to something like alt+WASD for walking or a full tilt for shift+WASD for sprinting.

Is there a way to do that with the steam interface?

When you're using the joystick as Joystick Move, there's going to be an outer ring binding on its standard page and in advanced settings you can mess with the outer ring radius and even invert it.

When you're using the joystick as WASD, then it's a d-pad and in its advanced setting you'll find outer ring binding, radius and invert.

I'm just not sure you'll be able to do both walk and sprint, since there's only one binding. So, if you bind shift to outer ring, you can have sprint on full tilt, but if you bind alt to outer ring and invert it, you can have walk on slight tilt. But having both configured? Mess with it and you'll see.

If anyone is interested in how it can replace an Xbox controller in an action game, here's a lengthy Shadow of Mordor vid I made where I run through the control bindings at the start and then play through a good three or four quests. It plays much better than any other gamepad, and I'm comfortable hitting the face buttons while using the pads/shoulders too.

I use a gamepad / mouse setup with gyro aiming - great for the bow. https://youtu.be/ykmPJle6ECE

deleted

I tried the SNES 8bitdo controller yesterday, but couldn't get it to work.

Hopefully there will be a firmware update to make it compatible with the Link. Would be awesome to have this work via USB or Bluetooth dongle!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
When you're using the joystick as Joystick Move, there's going to be an outer ring binding on its standard page and in advanced settings you can mess with the outer ring radius and even invert it.

When you're using the joystick as WASD, then it's a d-pad and in its advanced setting you'll find outer ring binding, radius and invert.

I'm just not sure you'll be able to do both walk and sprint, since there's only one binding. So, if you bind shift to outer ring, you can have sprint on full tilt, but if you bind alt to outer ring and invert it, you can have walk on slight tilt. But having both configured? Mess with it and you'll see.

Thank you. I don't really need both at the same time, I was more just giving two different examples at how you might need that.

Apparently it's a bad idea to use either in Assassins Creed because sprint makes you break combat with the game assuming you're trying to escape, but it's good to know for future games.

pmj

I complained some earlier about extreme difficulties aiming, and about two hours of practice has made me a bit better, but still not even close to my proficiency with a regular controller. And my controller aim sucks. Holding steady and shooting is incredibly hard. In Portal 2, I'm forced to predict where moving platforms will appear, take my finger off the pad, and then shoot when the platform is in my sights. Hitting it otherwise is hopeless. Accurately shooting a portal while in air is hopeless. Anything that isn't me standing still and taking aim for a long time is hopeless.

I have issues even with walking, and I think that's because on a dual stick setup look and movement sticks both influence walking direction. I didn't realize this before now, but you constantly fine tune where you walk with where you look. This doesn't work at all on this type of controller, and I feel really clumsy right now.

Holding a finger on the pad the reticle is jittery, always moving around. It seems to be a problem mostly on the upper half of the pad, when I try to hold steady with a finger on the lower half my aim is better. The downward drift seems to be gone though. This controller behaves slightly different every time I restart it, so who knows, maybe one day it'll decide to work perfectly for me all on its own.

I complained some earlier about extreme difficulties aiming, and about two hours of practice has made me a bit better, but still not even close to my proficiency with a regular controller. And my controller aim sucks. Holding steady and shooting is incredibly hard. In Portal 2, I'm forced to predict where moving platforms will appear, take my finger off the pad, and then shoot when the platform is in my sights. Hitting it otherwise is hopeless. Accurately shooting a portal while in air is hopeless. Anything that isn't me standing still and taking aim for a long time is hopeless.

I have issues even with walking, and I think that's because on a dual stick setup look and movement sticks both influence walking direction. I didn't realize this before now, but you constantly fine tune where you walk with where you look. This doesn't work at all on this type of controller, and I feel really clumsy right now.

Holding a finger on the pad the reticle is jittery, always moving around. It seems to be a problem mostly on the upper half of the pad, when I try to hold steady with a finger on the lower half my aim is better. The downward drift seems to be gone though. This controller behaves slightly different every time I restart it, so who knows, maybe one day it'll decide to work perfectly for me all on its own.

Those jitter issues are either misconfiguring related, or an issue with the controller. Aside from that, try to use Gyro. I was in the same boat accuracy wise until I turned on gyro, and for the most part I've already caught up with my mouse aim (which admittedly is quite average).

Tarin02543

I complained some earlier about extreme difficulties aiming, and about two hours of practice has made me a bit better, but still not even close to my proficiency with a regular controller. And my controller aim sucks. Holding steady and shooting is incredibly hard. In Portal 2, I'm forced to predict where moving platforms will appear, take my finger off the pad, and then shoot when the platform is in my sights. Hitting it otherwise is hopeless.

That confirms my fears. This controller is not for me.

That confirms my fears. This controller is not for me.

His settings are fucked. Using gyro and trackpads, I can hit headshots in CS GO actually a bit more reliably than I can with a mouse, though I'm still practicing adapting to situations. Though, like I said, I'm not exactly a pro CS player. I can also turn around very quickly and quickly adjust my aim to different sectors, though I still need practice with it. The only constraint (aside from relearning the controls) is that I don't have a numrow to select weapons with, but I can still use the dpad or bumpers to switch.

RE Revelations 2 is excellent with gyro aiming. Is it possible to have the gyro activated with a trigger pull? Having it active when touching the right pad is okay, but it means it's active when I'm just controlling the camera and makes it a little jittery. I only really need it when I'm aiming a weapon.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
His settings are fucked. Using gyro and trackpads, I can hit headshots in CS GO actually a bit more reliably than I can with a mouse, though I'm still practicing adapting to situations.

Could you give me some info on what your profile looks like for csgo? While I fully realize that csgo is not a good game for playing with a controller - we have been playing some smurf accounts with controllers which kind of evens the playing field. It is quite fun.

I just can't get the aiming right. Thanks!

RE Revelations 2 is excellent with gyro aiming. Is it possible to have the gyro activated with a trigger pull? Having it active when touching the right pad is okay, but it means it's active when I'm just controlling the camera and makes it a little jittery. I only really need it when I'm aiming a weapon.

No, currently that's not possible. Others have expressed the need for it. Some have probably written about this to Valve already or will in the future, like Dogg said he will.

Bah. Controller completely breaks The Forest. Have to wait for an update on that I guess. Tried it with Dungeon Defenders 2 and it works great. However the game itself crashes and stutters like crazy. Not sure if that's the controller or the Alpha build as I just downloaded it.

pmj

Those jitter issues are either misconfiguring related, or an issue with the controller. Aside from that, try to use Gyro. I was in the same boat accuracy wise until I turned on gyro, and for the most part I've already caught up with my mouse aim (which admittedly is quite average).

I'm using the official settings for Portal 2. I don't think gyro aim will fit how I hold and use a controller, but I'll give it a shot.

Interfectum

Put in some more hours with Steam Link + Steam Controller last night...

While I'm getting better at Witcher 3, it still a bit of a slog. I can't quite get the right pad feeling good. I found a new config in Rocket League that puts the accel and boost on a single trigger and that shit feels great.

It's kind of crazy to be able to play Witcher, RL, Cities: Skylines, Team Fortress 2 and a bunch of random indie Steam games from the comfort of my lounge chair, no kb/m with a Steam Controller connected to Steam Link. When it works properly, it's brilliant.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
For me the precision has been mostly fine. My biggest problem is doing a quick 180 swipe and ending up looking towards the ceiling. It's not so bad that I'm looking directly upwards, but it's still bad enough to be quite noticeable. Hopefully I can find some way to get better at that.

Could you give me some info on what your profile looks like for csgo? While I fully realize that csgo is not a good game for playing with a controller - we have been playing some smurf accounts with controllers which kind of evens the playing field. It is quite fun.

I just can't get the aiming right. Thanks!

What I have going on is my trackpad is set semi high, gyro sensitivity low, and in game sensitivity is just what it was with my mouse (which IIRC was like .5 or some shit, didn't bother even looking at in game sens).

I've got gyro activated by having my thumb on the trackpad, so I can recenter just by letting go of it, though I rarely have to do that. I can easily move my crosshair about 90* left or right with the gyro, anything more than that and I use the trackpad.

Buttons wise, I've got Dpad as 1-4, left grip is crouch, right grip is reload, bumpers is next/previous weapon, use is click trackpad, and jump is Y. That's about all I've needed to worry about. I might tweak the buttons, but so far it's alright.

The way I play is that when I'm just running from area to area, I just flick and stop the pad to be looking around, and then when I'm thinking an enemy may show up/I'm looking for one/the entire back 3/4s of the match I'm using mainly gyro. Feels very good, and I've been able to dome a few people's head from behind cover, though admittably they weren't moving around too much in their "safe" spot.

EDIT: Just remember I am by no means an actually good player.

scitek

For me the precision has been mostly fine. My biggest problem is doing a quick 180 swipe and ending up looking towards the ceiling. It's not so bad that I'm looking directly upwards, but it's still bad enough to be quite noticeable. Hopefully I can find some way to get better at that.

Turn up the "Rotation" slider and mess with the vertical friction and one other vertical something sliders. They're meant precisely to keep you from accidentally looking up or down.

dsk1210

I had similar problems with system shock 2 yesterday. I recommend turning vertical sensitivity down a touch, made a big difference for me, also enable gyro, it's great for quickly peeking both sides and aiming.

so, I successfully completed a hellfire citadel raid in wow using the controller. However, I'm curious to known if its possible to assign a shift key without losing the original function as ive quickly run out of buttons.

Seems to be common in Ubisoft games. I know Far Cry 3 made you switch between m+kb and controller in the options menu which made using a controller for driving a pain.

Turn up the "Rotation" slider and mess with the vertical friction and one other vertical something sliders. They're meant precisely to keep you from accidentally looking up or down.
I think this is where the interface for adjusting those controls needs a bit of work - the descriptions are okay, but it needs something more visually. At one point when I adjusted it and then went back, a horizontal line appeared on the image of the pad which I guess was showing what angle of flick would give a horizontal movement. Must have been a bug.

d00d3n

Gyro and trackball is amazing, I could not believe how natural it feels when set properly.

I am genuinely surprised that not many people are taking about it, it's a game changer and I think could make this controller as viable as KB&M (at least for me)

Any particular game + controller configs in mind?

It's pretty much anything where you need to aim. The trackball alone is good for camera control (looking in general directions very quickly), and the gyro is very good at the precise aim. I think the general rule of thumb is fast trackball sens, slow gyro sens.

dsk1210

System shock 2 and Quake III arena were the games I was playing yesterday with this set up.

I used somebody's profile then tailored it to my preferences. I have not fully finished them but I will upload to the community when I have them perfect.

I'm using the official settings for Portal 2. I don't think gyro aim will fit how I hold and use a controller, but I'll give it a shot.

The official settings are apparently a complete disaster. Can't wait to get my gamepad and try this gyro business, sounds amazing.

I'm still on the fence on this. It's a fun toy to play with, but I find myself wanting to go back to the DS4.

Playing FFXIV, it's difficult to go from using dual analog to this. The touchpad isn't nearly as quick as an analog stick as a camera, and in a game where I'm constantly going back and forth between camera and buttons, it's hard to recenter myself. I'm not sure if it's because of the analog itself or the fact that the buttons are smaller and in the wrong place.

Is there a way to set up an touchpad to use mouse controls and hold down a mouse button at the same time, without requiring me to hold down the touchpad itself (e.g., how WoW, FF14, and most other MMOs control their camera with the mouse?)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Can you activate gyro only by holding a trigger?

Mattenth

Just wanted to come back to this thread...

So after 2 hours of really, really trying with this thing, I finally got Far Cry 4 from "terrible" to "playable."

Then after watching this video, I got it from "playable" to "enjoyable."

Dolor

Played some kingdom rush last night. The trackpad was perfect for it. Really can't see myself going back to a 360 controller. My only worry now is how to justify replacing the 3 other 360 controllers I already have...

Question. Is there a way to adjust the trackpad sensitivity by itself or do I need to adjust mouse sensitivity for all mice to get it to work?

desktop profile has been updated: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/3piezw/steam_client_beta_update_oct_20th/cw6k2qv

Button A - Enter
Button B - Spacebard
Button X - Page Up
Button Y - Page Down

Left Pad - Scrollwheel (rotational - haptics on)
Clockwise - Scroll Down
Counter Clockwise - Scroll Up

Right Pad - Mouse Emulation (Haptics On)
Right Pad Click - Left Shift

Left Trigger - Right Mouse Click
Right Trigger - Left Mouse Click

Left Bumper - Left Control
Right Bumper - Left Alt

Left Back - Mouse Back
Right Back - Mouse Forward

Just wanted to come back to this thread...

So after 2 hours of really, really trying with this thing, I finally got Far Cry 4 from "terrible" to "playable."

Then after watching this video, I got it from "playable" to "enjoyable."

And then you see this and it might be even better: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/3pc69q/valve_dev_shows_gyro_aiming_with_the_steam/

The guy who made that vid you watched said will make one about this too.

Top Bottom