• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Dr Dogg

Well I just had a D'oh moment when I realised I can now map all my Afterburner and ShadowPlay shortcuts to the controller via modeshifting and do away with various hacked together hotkeys I've been using for years.

Yeah pretty much that but change adaptive centring to on and then regardless where your finger touches on the trackpad that becomes your centre point. Works alright for camera control in third person title but a bit wonky for me when you need to aim.

edited in Krejlooc's post from the previous thread

And the method of controlling the right pad as an analog stick - where the center of the pad is the center of the stick, is a generic gamepad option. A better solution is available under the template Gamepad + Joystick Camera, which changes the way the right pad works. With Joystick Camera, where ever you put your thumb down on the track pad becomes the deadzone, and you pull outward from there to move the analog stick. As you pull outward, the haptics start to fire off more as you reach the extents, and it kind of feels like stretching a rubber band taut. This mode is much better than the template known as generic gamepad. If you enable generic gamepad, then the center of the right touchpad is always the deadzone area.

this makes it sound like Joystick Camera should do adaptive centering on default.

brau

This controller is basically best used as a companion to a 360 or XO controller. It would work very well with a lot of MK only games. You can also control windows with it, which I have found invaluable laying in bed and watching videos on Giant Bomb or something.

oh nice.

This is basically what i want it for. Since i have my rig in my living room on my tv. Sitting on the floor balancing a keyboard on my lap or a small table is very uncomfortable. so i keep to the 360 controller. But i have been itching to play other rpgs or even say Battlefield doesn't have native setups for a controller. only K+M.

This is great tho. I'll look more into it. It seems like a good option.

Is it comfortable?

vinegar

Neo Member
I've given the gyro a try in a few games and it just isn't comfortable for me. However, rightpad as mouse with trackball on and high friction and haptic feedback feels absolutely fantastic to me in fps games. I set the sensitivity up so a flick from a neutral center position left or right turns me around 90 degrees. A solid swipe across the whole pad turns me 180. This feels perfect for me and after spending around 18 hours this past weekend playing through both The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and SOMA from start to finish using only the SC I'm getting pretty accurate with it. I spent a lot of time in both games tracing the outlines of objects and practicing flicks, just like I would do if I got a new mouse or changed my sensitivity in CSGO. I loaded up a shooty section of Black Mesa and played a little GTA5 had no problems hitting shots. Like all of us, I'm obviously always going to be way more competent with a mouse, but I feel like with some more practice I can get pretty solid with the SC. I've always hated how slow and inaccurate joysticks are for camera movement in fps games and this thing is leagues better.

As far as the general layout, it's no longer awkward feeling to me at all and I have no issues comfortably using the stick of face buttons. I still feel like the leftpad would be better if it were smaller and swapped around with the stick, but it's really not bad. It works fine, but I just prefer a stick for movement on a controller.

The biggest issues this controller has are the problems with games not liking mixed input methods and the amount of tweaking that's required to get it working how you like. The first problem can only be solved by developers and the second can and will get sorted out by the community. All of my other complaints are software related.

The best experience I have had so far with the controller has been playing mouse controlled games. Can't seem to get a handle on it with FPS. Planetbase works decently well with it though I shall now call it rimished.

TheRed

First trying gyro right now. I think my gyro is busted, without moving the controller at all it constantly moves down and to the right so fighting it completely ruins any benefit to aiming.

First trying gyro right now. I think my gyro is busted, without moving the controller at all it constantly moves down and to the right so fighting it completely ruins any benefit to aiming.

This is what Valve dev said about drifting

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam_Cont...ntrollers_gyro_control_for_finetuning/cw4ragv

To calibrate the gyro, set it to 'always on' instead of having a gyro enable button, and set the controller on a stable surface like a hard table. The drift should correct itself after a short while.

and this was someone's response to that

I have been having issues with it it drifting, I set it down for 3 minutes and the drift did not go away. But turning it off and on fixes it for a while, any one else having problems should try that as well.

Has anyone tried KOTOR 2 yet? the game had an update which allowed it to support gamepads (and i used my 360 one on it only 3 weeks ago)
the steam gamepad setting does not work
Theres something wrong with almost all the community layouts

not that i dislike being able to have a mouse cursor to specifically target (which is an issue for the pad only layouts), but the right stick camera rotation and conversation options using the analogue stick were nice trade offs

MaxiLive

Has anyone managed to get this to work with GTA V? It works for the first few minutes but if I use Steam overlay to change any settings sometimes it will drop out of game and GTA will stop every form of input :(

Krejlooc

Banned
I have been so incredibly sick with the flu this last weekend, so I didn't get much done on my application nor the guide. I'll have both up asap. I'm still running a fever and kind of feel far away from my body atm. sorry to those whoa re waiting.

ricki42

The second link which actually did that seems to have made my controller work in Steam BPM at least. It's detected, it updated, I can navigate. I don't have many games installed to try, but Geometry Wars 3 at least seems to be a no go. Nothing happens when pressing any button while in game, either using the default or the top community config.

Doesn't work for me in Geometry Wars 3 either (on Xubuntu 15.04). Try Assault Android Cactus, game is worth it anyway, and Witchbeam provided a controller configuration.

In case anyone is importing their Witcher game from outside of steam and feels overwhelmed / wants a binding template, here is an annotated pdf with my settings:

Witcher 3 kb/m settings

It's got the left grip as a mode shift - mode shifting changes the function of the left pad, the joystick, the face buttons and the right pad! This offers 12 extra buttons as well as the right pad turning into a scroll wheel for smooth menu navigation.

It's a beast, but it's also exhaustive. Would love feedback / variations.

ca8b.jpg

EDIT: VDF file for all y'all non steam gamers.

r3n4ud

I have been so incredibly sick with the flu this last weekend, so I didn't get much done on my application nor the guide. I'll have both up asap. I'm still running a fever and kind of feel far away from my body atm. sorry to those whoa re waiting.
No problem man. You've been amazing thus far in providing help to us all. Get some rest and feel better soon!

TheRed

In case anyone is importing their Witcher game and feels overwhelmed / wants a binding template, here is an annotated pdf with my settings:

Witcher 3 kb/m settings

It's got the left grip as a mode shift - mode shifting changes the function of the left pad, the joystick, the face buttons and the right pad! This offers 12 extra buttons as well as the right pad turning into a scroll wheel for smooth menu navigation.

ca8b.jpg

Yours is interesting and much different from mine, I didn't know what to do with mode shifts and based a lot off the the gamepad bindings because of performance dropping when I was using mouse look and having the UI always switching from gamepad to KB/M was a little annoying. But I've been having a lot of fun with it I like it, still trying to get the joystick camera perfect for me. I may give it another pass and add more stuff that's available on the keyboard like you with mode shifts and multibutton bindings which I didn't use at all when I made . Here's mine
What I really liked of what I did is with the left pad is make it not require a click but have haptics and made the center a fairly large deadzone so when I rest my thumb there I'm not accidentally using a potion because I have to tap near the edge of the pad for it to register and also I can click the pad to get the radial wheel that I rarely use but sometimes I do need it and finally found this as a place to put it. Also having the right trigger do both light and strong attacks based on how hard I pull is pretty cool, i can even do a couple light then hold trigger for him to go into whirl with the the haptics going on repeatedly! it feels really cool but is a little finicky sometimes getting to whirl instead of strong attack. I have to mess with it a little more.

Is there a way to get the mouse to stop working like a trackball when outside of a game? Like just on the desktop

Running OSX 10.11

Edit: some more info about using this thing on OSX

When you first plug it in an Steam is not running, the haptics in the left touchpad rumble every time you move the cursor. Then when Steam opens up, that goes away and mouse control becomes a lot smoother. When you quit Steam, the left touchpad stops working as a mouse altogether

Foxyone

Did anyone get there Gamestop pre-order? Really disappointed that mine didn't come through.

Same here. The guy at the Gamestop I went to basically pulled a "foot in door" move. Said if I pre-order one that day (the 15th) I could get one the next day, but after I paid he said I'd actually have to wait until 11/10. Then he said I could potentially get a phone call if they had any unclaimed controllers from their shipment on the 16th, but when I called myself and asked another employee, he said there never was a shipment. Would have canceled immediately in store if I hadn't been given false hope, and the store is a bit too far away to make it worth going to actually cancel the thing. On the bright side though, I guess I don't have to worry about fiddling with settings as much by the time I get mine and there are community profiles to choose from.

Yours is interesting and much different from mine, I didn't know what to do with mode shifts and based a lot off the the gamepad bindings because of performance dropping when I was using mouse look and having the UI always switching from gamepad to KB/M was a little annoying. But I've been having a lot of fun with it I like it, still trying to get the joystick camera perfect for me. I may give it another pass and add more stuff that's available on the keyboard like you with mode shifts and multibutton bindings which I didn't use at all when I made . Here's mine

Yeah I got around the UI shift by using keyboard/mouse. There are a few buttons that are controller bound, but they're just bumpers that won't interfere. What I really liked was binding the right pad as a scroll wheel when you mode shift. Makes switching signs / sorting menus much more enjoyable

TheRed

Yeah I got around the UI shift by using keyboard/mouse. There are a few buttons that are controller bound, but they're just bumpers that won't interfere. What I really liked was binding the right lad as a scroll wheel when you mode shift. Makes switching signs / sorting menus much more enjoyable
Ooh I think I'll add that to mine, I'm too used to how I my signs set up though.

Also I just picked up my 360 controller for the first time in days and man I didn't want to go back to it, it felt so small and weird. I'm already used to the steam controller :D

After playing with this over the weekend, here's my thoughts on it. Sorry for the blog post. ;)

For games which support gamepad + mouse at the same time, such as The Witcher 3, it is amazing. Better than a traditional gamepad. One thing which does annoy me about the game though is that whenever I use the right touchpad, which is configured as a mouse, all of the icons and UI in the game switch to KB+M mode. Using the left analog stick or the buttons puts it back in gamepad mode. I wish I could force this setting and not have it constantly switch between multiple modes.

Another thing I need to figure out is how you access all 4 consumables. When I use the mouse touchpad, it shows all 4, but when it switches to gamepad mode, I only see two slots. Any tips here would be welcome. :)

I also tried out CS:GO, and I'll be honest, I did not enjoy it. I tweaked a lot with how to view whether it's trackball or mouse, different sensitivities, etc, but nothing felt particularly good to me. I would not feel comfortable going online against humans with a mouse. Hell, I could barely handle bots on easy. I didn't try pure gamepad mode where the right pad is like an analog stick though. If anyone has recommended bindings to try, I'll give it another shot.

I am slightly disappointed at the noise the haptic feedback makes as well, and I wish they could find a way to make the feedback more localized on the pad which I think could help certain configurations.

In terms of comfort, it's much better once you realize it is made to be gripped with pointer and middle finger on triggers/bumpers with ring finger/pinky for the paddles. I do find the Xbox One gamepad to be a bit more comfortable overall, so I will be keeping a close eye on alternate designs once Valve releases the CAD files and people start getting to work on alternate designs.

For the overall experience, I think Valve needs to make some tweaks to BP such as adding mouse control by default. I'm sure over the next few weeks there will be many more controller configurations popping up, which will be nice to see. One thing I haven't seen, and maybe it's coming, is voting on different configurations. Some of the descriptions that are out there are also slightly confusing, so if anyone is publishing control settings, keep it short and descriptive. Don't add fluff like "This config is made by blah and is the best way to control the game I think." I ended up installing a game I've never played before either, and without community voting, I wasn't sure which one I wanted to choose because I had no idea any of the game terminology either. "Oh, this adds mode shifting to switch to Blah mode to activate your X power... No idea if that's useful?" I do wish the game configs on there could modify settings within your game. As an example, it seems pretty common that you want to increase touchpad sensitivity for the hardware, and lower the setting in the game. I wish all of that could be set for you automatically. Would require some deeper integration with titles of course, but it would make the process more painless.

Overall, I do think it is an impressive bit of kit. Hardware wise it is very solid, and at this point I think Valve just needs to improve the software, and continue to push developers to add native integration into their titles. Things such as allowing concurrent gamepad + mouse controls is huge, and I want to see that be standard moving forward. I would recommend this for anyone who has a Steam library they want to play in a more relaxed setting (comfy couches!) but isn't adverse to messing with settings and configuration. As we near official launch, I'm sure the ecosystem will continue to improve so I'm not expecting it to be a big issue over the next few weeks.

Abitor

Another thing I need to figure out is how you access all 4 consumables. When I use the mouse touchpad, it shows all 4, but when it switches to gamepad mode, I only see two slots. Any tips here would be welcome. :)

You can switch between the consumables if you press and hold (not just click) the up or down button on the left touchpad.

I also tried out CS:GO, and I'll be honest, I did not enjoy it. I tweaked a lot with how to view whether it's trackball or mouse, different sensitivities, etc, but nothing felt particularly good to me. I would not feel comfortable going online against humans with a mouse. Hell, I could barely handle bots on easy. I didn't try pure gamepad mode where the right pad is like an analog stick though. If anyone has recommended bindings to try, I'll give it another shot.

Try gyro aiming it will help you a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B43ibnztDLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VcidBFh3FY

Deadstar

Can someone tell me what the purpose is of the hub for the dongle? If I plug in the dongle in the back of my computer would there be any interference? If so I can just use the wired hub and put it on top of my tower.

Nzyme32

Can someone tell me what the purpose is of the hub for the dongle? If I plug in the dongle in the back of my computer would there be any interference? If so I can just use the wired hub and put it on top of my tower.

It's a wireless extender. If you have interference from something else or if you happen to put your system in a place that will reduce signal strength, this is the solution to use. Also if you are sitting further than 6m, this is also going to be helpful

Zia

Does anyone know what the deal is with MGS V not playing nice with the Steam Controller? I was under the impression that it didn't work at all, I tried a profile and it seemed to be working fine, went to the gym and now I'm unable to move Snake around. Restarted, same result. A glance at the Steam forums would indicate others have this problem.

I am mainly playing MGS 5 atm with this thing using a trackball setting, but I am having difficulties lining up headshots. Mostly, I just cant get small, fine tuned movements required to line it up.

Any tips for settings on it?

ricki42

I don't have many games installed to try, but Geometry Wars 3 at least seems to be a no go. Nothing happens when pressing any button while in game, either using the default or the top community config.

Doesn't work for me in Geometry Wars 3 either (on Xubuntu 15.04). Try Assault Android Cactus, game is worth it anyway, and Witchbeam provided a controller configuration.

I was wrong, Geometry Wars 3 does work after all. I just had to disconnect my DS4, seems the game took that as controller 1. So make sure you don't have any other controllers connected.

If you guys try Assault Android Cactus, try it with a mouse profile. There is a character (Aubergine) that uses cursor position for her attack helicopter and in that case having free floating cursor control is really advantageous compared to simply pointing in a direction with the gamepad controls.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is there some trick to assigning gyro to the triggers only when they're pressed? Can't seem to do it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Well I tried to play skyrim with my new steam
Controller... Terrible. None of the fan made profiles are any good (why would you want to play it in kbm mode?! So much of it is made for a game pad, even with Skyui). The game pad setting for the controller are completely unresponsive. Trying to look around is near impossible as it feels laggy and slow, no matter how sensitive you make it. A really poor first impression :(

Playing Civ 5 was nice though and showed promise.

In case anyone is importing their Witcher game from outside of steam and feels overwhelmed / wants a binding template, here is an annotated pdf with my settings:

Witcher 3 kb/m settings

ca8b.jpg

Awesome work! Any chance you could upload or paste the .vdf for the non-steam config sharing thread?

In my templates folder, maybe I don't understand this process - would I need to manually recreate my bindings in this vdf file, or am I supposed to see my witcher bindings here? As of now, nothing but three basic templates are there

There should be a .vdf file in your Witcher 3 install directory under steamapps/common.

There should be a .vdf file in your Witcher 3 install directory under steamapps/common.

Nothing there - could have to do with having my games installed on a dif drive than steam. I'll keep poking around here.

EDIT: Found it in an extremely weird spot. uploading it now before I lose it again.

.VDF File on Dropbox

Code:
"controller_mappings"
{
	"version"		"2"
	"title"		"Witcher 3 Precision Mouse with Mode Shifts (12 Extra Buttons & Scroll Wheel)"
	"description"		"TURN MOUSE SENSITIVITY DOWN IN GAME. Currently the left grip grants mode shifting - I have the right pad as a scroll wheel when shifted, as well as 12 other bindings set to the left pad, stick and face buttons (such as menu panels and quick saving). Casting is set on clicking the right pad"
	"creator"		"76561198010604867"
	"actions"
	{
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"0"
		"mode"		"four_buttons"
		"bindings"
		{
			"button_A"		"key_press LEFT_ALT, Dodge / Interact / Dive"
			"button_A"		"key_press C, Dodge / Interact / Dive"
			"button_A"		"key_press E, Dodge / Interact / Dive"
			"button_B"		"key_press SPACE, Roll"
			"button_X"		"key_press 1, Silver Sword"
			"button_Y"		"key_press 2, Steel Sword"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"button_size"		"17984"
			"button_dist"		"19968"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"1"
		"mode"		"dpad"
		"bindings"
		{
			"dpad_north"		"key_press R, Item 1"
			"dpad_south"		"key_press T, Item 3"
			"dpad_east"		"key_press F, Item 2"
			"dpad_west"		"key_press Y, Item 4"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"deadzone"		"5000"
			"edge_binding_radius"		"24996"
			"analog_emulation_period"		"29"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"2"
		"mode"		"joystick_camera"
		"bindings"
		{
			"click"		"xinput_button JOYSTICK_RIGHT"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"curve_exponent"		"2"
			"swipe_duration"		"0"
			"haptic_intensity"		"3"
			"output_joystick"		"2"
			"sensitivity_vert_scale"		"175"
			"anti_deadzone"		"12287"
			"anti_deadzone_buffer"		"10649"
			"joystick_smoothing"		"1"
			"sensitivity"		"1000"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"3"
		"mode"		"joystick_move"
		"bindings"
		{
			"click"		"xinput_button JOYSTICK_LEFT, Call Horse"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"edge_binding_radius"		"24995"
			"sensitivity"		"97"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"4"
		"mode"		"trigger"
		"bindings"
		{
			"click"		"mouse_button RIGHT, Parry "
			"edge"		"key_press E, Select"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"adaptive_threshold"		"0"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"5"
		"mode"		"trigger"
		"bindings"
		{
			"click"		"mouse_button LEFT, Attack"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"edge_binding_radius"		"18839"
			"haptic_intensity"		"1"
			"adaptive_threshold"		"0"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"6"
		"mode"		"absolute_mouse"
		"bindings"
		{
			"click"		"key_press Q"
			"doubletap"		"key_press ESCAPE"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"sensitivity"		"1000"
			"haptic_intensity"		"3"
			"rotation"		"30"
			"friction"		"1"
			"mouse_smoothing"		"37"
			"doubetap_max_duration"		"320"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"7"
		"mode"		"joystick_move"
		"settings"
		{
			"haptic_intensity"		"1"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"8"
		"mode"		"joystick_camera"
		"settings"
		{
			"output_joystick"		"1"
			"sensitivity"		"99"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"9"
		"mode"		"dpad"
		"settings"
		{
			"edge_binding_radius"		"24999"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"10"
		"mode"		"four_buttons"
		"bindings"
		{
			"button_A"		"key_press O, Crafting"
			"button_B"		"key_press B, Bestiary"
			"button_X"		"key_press H, Gwent Deck"
			"button_Y"		"key_press L, Alchemy"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"button_size"		"17984"
			"button_dist"		"19970"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"11"
		"mode"		"dpad"
		"bindings"
		{
			"dpad_north"		"key_press W"
			"dpad_south"		"key_press S"
			"dpad_east"		"key_press D"
			"dpad_west"		"key_press A"
			"click"		"key_press Z, Lock On / Change Objective"
			"click"		"key_press V, Lock On / Change Objective"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"edge_binding_radius"		"21687"
			"haptic_intensity"		"3"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"12"
		"mode"		"four_buttons"
		"bindings"
		{
			"button_Y"		"key_press F5, Quick Save"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"haptic_intensity"		"3"
			"button_size"		"17994"
			"button_dist"		"19994"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"13"
		"mode"		"scrollwheel"
		"bindings"
		{
			"scroll_clockwise"		"mouse_wheel SCROLL_DOWN"
			"scroll_counterclockwise"		"mouse_wheel SCROLL_UP"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"scroll_angle"		"137"
			"haptic_intensity"		"3"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"14"
		"mode"		"scrollwheel"
		"settings"
		{
			"scroll_angle"		"89"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"15"
		"mode"		"dpad"
		"bindings"
		{
			"dpad_north"		"key_press F5, Quick Save"
			"dpad_south"		"key_press X, Roach"
			"dpad_east"		"key_press TAB, Character Focus (Map)"
			"dpad_west"		"key_press LEFT_CONTROL, Walk Speed"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"edge_binding_radius"		"24996"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"16"
		"mode"		"scrollwheel"
		"bindings"
		{
			"scroll_wheel_list_0"		"mouse_wheel SCROLL_DOWN"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"scroll_angle"		"166"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"17"
		"mode"		"absolute_mouse"
		"settings"
		{
			"doubetap_max_duration"		"324"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"18"
		"mode"		"four_buttons"
		"bindings"
		{
			"button_A"		"key_press N, Meditate"
			"button_B"		"key_press B, Bestiary"
			"button_X"		"key_press H, Gwent"
			"button_Y"		"key_press H, Quests"
		}
		"settings"
		{
			"button_size"		"17994"
			"button_dist"		"19994"
		}
	}
	"group"
	{
		"id"		"19"
		"mode"		"dpad"
		"bindings"
		{
			"dpad_north"		"key_press J, Quests"
			"dpad_south"		"key_press N, Meditate"
			"dpad_east"		"key_press I, Inventory"
			"dpad_west"		"key_press K, Character"
		}
		"settings"
		{
		}
	}
	"preset"
	{
		"id"		"0"
		"name"		""
		"group_source_bindings"
		{
			"0"		"button_diamond active"
			"9"		"button_diamond inactive modeshift"
			"10"		"button_diamond active modeshift"
			"1"		"left_trackpad active"
			"12"		"left_trackpad inactive modeshift"
			"14"		"left_trackpad inactive modeshift"
			"15"		"left_trackpad active modeshift"
			"2"		"right_trackpad inactive"
			"6"		"right_trackpad active"
			"7"		"right_trackpad inactive modeshift"
			"8"		"right_trackpad inactive modeshift"
			"13"		"right_trackpad active modeshift"
			"3"		"joystick inactive"
			"11"		"joystick active"
			"16"		"joystick inactive modeshift"
			"17"		"joystick inactive modeshift"
			"18"		"joystick inactive modeshift"
			"19"		"joystick active modeshift"
			"4"		"left_trigger active"
			"5"		"right_trigger active"
		}
		"switch_bindings"
		{
			"bindings"
			{
				"button_back_right"		"key_press LEFT_SHIFT, Sprint"
				"button_menu"		"key_press ESCAPE, Pause Menu"
				"button_escape"		"xinput_button START, Game Menu"
				"right_bumper"		"xinput_button SHOULDER_RIGHT, Throw Item / Menu Right"
				"left_bumper"		"xinput_button SHOULDER_LEFT, Quick Select / Menu Left"
				"button_back_left"		"key_press KEYPAD_6"
				"button_back_left"		"mode_shift joystick 19"
				"button_back_left"		"mode_shift button_diamond 10"
				"button_back_left"		"mode_shift left_trackpad 15"
				"button_back_left"		"mode_shift right_trackpad 13"
			}
		}
		"settings"
		{
		}
	}
}
"cache_data"
{
	"lastmodified"		"Tue, 20 Oct 2015 04:13:59 GMT"
}

Crayon

In terms of comfort, it's much better once you realize it is made to be gripped with pointer and middle finger on triggers/bumpers with ring finger/pinky for the paddles.

I just tried it like this: and I'm resting my index fingers over the bumpers and bumping then downwards, while using the triggers tith my middle fingers. My thumbs feel extra comfortable now and I dont have to clock the mouse so much. Plus the bumpers work great now and are the right stiffness. Big difference.

I just tried playing around with the gyro and it's a game changer. Almost no acclimation required. Perfectly natural.

I'm also experimenting with low friction on the mouse look. With a little extra practice, I can send it rolling and stop it where I want without having to flick it so fast like medium friction. I'm finding acceleration helpful on the look, as well.

The pad clicks seem to have gotten a little bit quieter after several hours of use. Maybe it's just us getting used to them but my gf and I agree that they are somehow less annoying.

Right now the biggest negative is the inability to create a custom default template or use the mouse in bpm. Both are no brainers and will come along in due time.

Iorv3th

I am mainly playing MGS 5 atm with this thing using a trackball setting, but I am having difficulties lining up headshots. Mostly, I just cant get small, fine tuned movements required to line it up.

Any tips for settings on it?

I just uploaded my config, don't know if you will be able to find it but called d3adcell's bindings. Have the right trackpad as a trackball and have gyro aiming on as well.

Gyro - Have this set with the enable button as right touch pad, but it is hidden.

Right Track pad

Right Track Pad Advanced

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just can't believe how bad these bumper buttons are. Like I bet the Ouya controller had more comfortable and ergonomic ones, the way it feels they fucked these up so badly. My biggest problem overall is the effort it takes to click buttons and the awful feel when you do, these are the icing on the cake though.

Just a quick update before I have my longer final impressions/review, but the combination of steam link with the steam controller, while using steam games like rocket league, tales of zesteria, undertale, and transformers devastation, make this the console I always wanted.

From what I noticed, the smoothness/no tearing of gsync stays over the stream, so no need to enable vsync, which is nice.

A lot of my initial frustrations were trying to use the controller with games outside of steam, such as my battle.net games. For the life of me, even through all the work a rounds like going directly to the .exes for each game, I can't get the steam overlay to stick with them, and when it does, it is a garbled up mess that asks me to input a cd key/won't let me configure my controller for the game.

My hope is that someone comes up with a way to flash/bind the controller like you can in big picture, but outside of steam. Would make it the best purchase for any PC gamer. Right now, this is a great purchase if your a Steam PC gamer. If Valve can give you the option to just stream your desktop environment through the link without tricks, that would be even better. Makes the link, as of now, a great purchase if you are a big Steam user.

Just using both the controller and link within steam, however, despite some bugs, is the real deal. I can't stress enough how great it is to play undertale with the steam controller on my comfy couch. It fills me with determination.

I have gotten so comfortable with this controller that going back to my DS4 and X1 controllers feels weird, which I didn't expect.

I made a template for F.E.A.R. if anyone wants to try it out. I might tweak the touchpad some. If anyone wants to try it out and let me know what they think, I would appreciate it. It's listed under the community controls for F.E.A.R. and my username, Starbuck2907.

edit: so far, I like the controller. I like the traditional dual analog sticks controllers better (e.g. Xbox 360, Xbox One, etc), but I think this thing is going to have it's own place and might be preferable for some games.

mattiewheels

Wow, just as soon as I talk some smack about this thing, I realize Valve just gifted me the all past and future games bundle. The funny part is that I own everything you can purchase, ha.

dsk1210

So I only received my controller yesterday but, I have to say I am hugely impressed with the trackball and gyro combination. It is very hard to be accurate with just the trackball but the gyro is really responsive.

I imagine i will get even more accurate as I get used to the controller, had a ton of fun playing System shock 2 and Quake III arena.

Miletius

Just got this yesterday. Apparently Gamestop doesn't call people in CA anymore for reserves, so it's been sitting on the shelf for a while. I'm excited to try it out. Anybody recommend some games that they have had good success with?

I just can't believe how bad these bumper buttons are. Like I bet the Ouya controller had more comfortable and ergonomic ones, the way it feels they fucked these up so badly. My biggest problem overall is the effort it takes to click buttons and the awful feel when you do, these are the icing on the cake though.
Haha, yeah. The bumpers are pretty much my only actual physical negative with the controller I'm having.

I'd say it takes about 3x the amount of force to click them as they should. I press down as lightly as a 360/XB1 bumper and it does nothing, press down a little harder and still nothing, and finally harder than that to finally get it to click. Hopefully I get more used to it, but for now i avoid them.

Thankfully the grip buttons are there. I've found myself using them instead of the bumpers. I usually don't use the bumpers at all unless the game requires an extra button or two.

Top Bottom