• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

When I map a touch button to a d-pad direction, pressing it causes that direction to be continually held until another d-pad input is pressed.

Also, controller button labels are not friendly and are too long to be displayed correctly ("DPAD_LEFT", "TRIGGER_LEFT", etc). Needs to let us edit the button labels anyway, because I want to know what it does before I mouseover.

I'm trying to dial in my joystick-mouse config for MGSV, but it's not going well. Both gyro movement and right pad are still really jumpy. I've fiddled with the "minimum input" sliders a lot, but there's no good balance. It's frustrating because my config is sooo close to being perfect, but the joystick-mouse setting just isn't nearly as good as regular mouse input on the right pad and gyro.

Nzyme32

I'm trying to dial in my joystick-mouse config for MGSV, but it's not going well. Both gyro movement and right pad are still really jumpy. I've fiddled with the "minimum input" sliders a lot, but there's no good balance. It's frustrating because my config is sooo close to being perfect, but the joystick-mouse setting just isn't nearly as good as regular mouse input on the right pad and gyro.

This would be because MGSV has a ridiculously weird deadzone that is oversized. I compensated by setting the minimum x and y inputs way up, around 75%, and increased the sensitivity and some other stuff I can't remember, and it worked very well. The only issue I had was that the aim when aiming with a pistol was less that I hoped it would be, but you could adjust.

By nature of the mouse joystick option, it is entirely dependant on the games max sensitivity / speed for the camera. Make sure those are maxed. Even then, I found that only MGSV's was not high enough, so I had to compensate with all the sensitivity stuff. The movement I ended up with in my config was ultimately like the low default of the trackball. It is still monumentally better than using an analogue stick or analogue emulation types, and aiming was very good outside of the ironsights aim

Thank Nzyme, I'll take some of those pointers and integrate it into my own. I did crank up the in-game sensitivity to 10 for camera movement, and that helped a lot, but the jumpiness is still aggravating me. I'll keep playing with it.

Nzyme32

Thank Nzyme, I'll take some of those pointers and integrate it into my own. I did crank up the in-game sensitivity to 10 for camera movement, and that helped a lot, but the jumpiness is still aggravating me. I'll keep playing with it.

I would have suggested mouse smoothing for anything involving "jumpiness" but I don't know if the option is available for the mouse joystick input. If it is, that's the money shot, just turn that up till it feel right but still responsive. If it isn't there, I'm not sure, but MGSV is definitely an odd case from what I've messed with.

I would have suggested mouse smoothing for anything involving "jumpiness" but I don't know if the option is available for the mouse joystick input. If it is, that's the money shot, just turn that up till it feel right but still responsive. If it isn't there, I'm not sure, but MGSV is definitely an odd case from what I've messed with.

Yeah there's no smoothing options unfortunately.

You can't use the Steam controller keyboard overlay outside of Steam. Maybe on Steam OS, but certainly not Windows.

6gh.gif

When I map a touch button to a d-pad direction, pressing it causes that direction to be continually held until another d-pad input is pressed.

Also, controller button labels are not friendly and are too long to be displayed correctly ("DPAD_LEFT", "TRIGGER_LEFT", etc). Needs to let us edit the button labels anyway, because I want to know what it does before I mouseover.

Just quoting myself to update on this issue. It seems to be more general than just the touch menus. For Don't Starve Together, I set the right pad to mode-shift to right analog when clicked. That way I could use the game's right analog navigation like a d-pad. Now, after one of the recent updates, that setup has the same problem as the touch menu-- after clicking the pad and releasing it, the emulated analog stick never goes back to the center.

hepburn3d

Arghhhh! I went back to a 360 controller to play GTAV. What is this thing? I haven't touched it in 2 weeks and it feels soooooo weird

Arghhhh! I went back to a 360 controller to play GTAV. What is this thing? I haven't touched it in 2 weeks and it feels soooooo weird

Ha- I actually did that the other day with Dark Souls after only having used the Steam Controller since I got it and yeah, it feels so foreign to me now.

The touch menu is really cool for MMOs, I just wish the overlay was smaller.

It's cool, but as of yesterday it's not quite prime time IMO. It's very easy to miss inputs or have IT miss inputs (where you see the button click on the overlay but the game doesn't receive an input). Right now it's alright for what it was intended for, opening menus, but if they made it more responsive and consistent, it would be AMAZING for MMO combat. It greatly simplified my GW2 set up, even if it's a little inconsistent right now.

dorkkaos

It's cool, but as of yesterday it's not quite prime time IMO. It's very easy to miss inputs or have IT miss inputs (where you see the button click on the overlay but the game doesn't receive an input). Right now it's alright for what it was intended for, opening menus, but if they made it more responsive and consistent, it would be AMAZING for MMO combat. It greatly simplified my GW2 set up, even if it's a little inconsistent right now.

Do you have a great set up that works for you for GW2? I just bought the steam controller specifically for GW2 since i heard it was great for it. Thanks in advance!

Crayon

Ah. Finally the touch menu. I was wondering if that was going to show. I want to check it out but to be honest , this controller is giving me fiddle fatigue. I just want to play a game I already have setup. I've spent more time playing with the controller as a I have playing the games since I got it. The good news is, for the games that are setup, I can forget about the controller and they play wonderfully.

Last nite, I jumped into a game I bought in this sale, murder miners. For those who don't know it's kind of like a ghetto halo. So the game starts and the controller seems to have started in joypad preset. So I set the right pad to mouse with my preffered nouse setting for EVERY shooter, which I have to set EVERY time I start a new one and as you can tell, that felt like a minor chore. And then, I jumped into an online deathmatch.

Just jumped into a deathmatch. Did fine. Didn't think about what controller I was using, didn't think about what controller everyone else was using. Just played. The familiarity with not just the muscle memory on the controller but with the config method and settings made murder miners the first game I have been able to just jump in and play without fiddle fucking with the controller for half an hour before I take the first 5 steps.

I take it as a good sign for the future. The learning curve for this controller is huge. The controller can be a big success if top players appear using the controller for different genres.

Do you have a great set up that works for you for GW2? I just bought the steam controller specifically for GW2 since i heard it was great for it. Thanks in advance!

I've been playing GW2 with the Steam Controller exclusively for the last week, and I've got a setup I'm pretty happy with. I'll post it when I get home in the evening.

Here's how I've got it set up, RIGHT NOW, keep in mind that right now the touchpad doesn't work GREAT yet -- right now it's still a little fiddly. What I've found works great with it, is holding the pad down a little bit longer, seems to trigger it more consistently:

Touch pad is, by default, mousing. Clicking it in hits "f" for interact.
Using the right grip, modifies it to touchpad mode, such that it behaves as a numpad - it's layed out exactly like a numpad, except that 1, is replaced with 0. This keeps 2-9 in the same spots, but gives 0 a spot on the pad, since 1 isn't needed with Action cam. You'll move your thumb around it to highlight whatever skill, then actually press down to use it. In practice, this can be done without having to move your thumb (ie, just pressing down at the top of the pad as you squeeze the grip), but doing so you'll need to hold down a bit longer for it to register (like 1/10 of a second longer)

From there, right trigger is left mouse, for skill one, right bumper is right click, left trigger is jumping, left bumper is weapon swap. Left grip modifies left pad into a touchpad for F1-5. Left pad used for movement, clicking triggers a dodge.

With this, I don't ever, EVER have to move my fingers off the pads or triggers during a fight. For anything. Buttons and control stick are used purely for menus and map/scrolling.

dorkkaos

I've been playing GW2 with the Steam Controller exclusively for the last week, and I've got a setup I'm pretty happy with. I'll post it when I get home in the evening.

Here's how I've got it set up, RIGHT NOW, keep in mind that right now the touchpad doesn't work GREAT yet -- right now it's still a little fiddly. What I've found works great with it, is holding the pad down a little bit longer, seems to trigger it more consistently:

Touch pad is, by default, mousing. Clicking it in hits "f" for interact.
Using the right grip, modifies it to touchpad mode, such that it behaves as a numpad - it's layed out exactly like a numpad, except that 1, is replaced with 0. This keeps 2-9 in the same spots, but gives 0 a spot on the pad, since 1 isn't needed with Action cam. You'll move your thumb around it to highlight whatever skill, then actually press down to use it. In practice, this can be done without having to move your thumb (ie, just pressing down at the top of the pad as you squeeze the grip), but doing so you'll need to hold down a bit longer for it to register (like 1/10 of a second longer)

From there, right trigger is left mouse, for skill one, right bumper is right click, left trigger is jumping, left bumper is weapon swap. Left grip modifies left pad into a touchpad for F1-5. Left pad used for movement, clicking triggers a dodge.

With this, I don't ever, EVER have to move my fingers off the pads or triggers during a fight. For anything. Buttons and control stick are used purely for menus and map/scrolling.

Thanks a lot! I'll give both a try when I get it :D I really feel like GW2 is more of a sit back and play with a controller game than it is a mouse keyboard game rofl. (Or i'm just really craving a PSO style game >.>)

Thanks a lot! I'll give both a try when I get it :D I really feel like GW2 is more of a sit back and play with a controller game than it is a mouse keyboard game rofl. (Or i'm just really craving a PSO style game >.>)

Yeah, just like I said keep in mind that right now, it's not the most consistent. It will likely be updated soon to fix it though.

dorkkaos

Yeah, just like I said keep in mind that right now, it's not the most consistent. It will likely be updated soon to fix it though.

Hope so haha. Definitely sure and hoping that the steam controller only gets better as time goes on. Might even be better to play FFXIV with the steam controller vs ps4 hahah.

Won

On the topic of GW2 configs, I ended up with putting jump and the weapon skills on the shoulder buttons, utility on the face buttons and F keys ended up on mode shift + face buttons. There is some awkwardness on the shoulder buttons, but it ended up working the best for me. Lifting the thumb is preferable over doing a button combo every other second for me and all skills are basically grouped together logically on the controller, which made it easy to learn.

On the topic of GW2 configs, I ended up with putting the weapon skills on the shoulder buttons, utility on the face buttons and F keys ended up on mode shift + face buttons. There is some awkwardness on the shoulder buttons, but it ended up working the best for me. Lifting the thumb is preferable over doing a button combo every other second for me and all skills are basically grouped together logically on the controller, which made it easy to learn.

For sure. Ideally, there would be a way to set it up such that the right grip step wouldn't be necessary, ie, dragging the finger would move aim, and then pressing down would trigger a touchpad action. THAT would be perfect.

Ok, you can get my bindings from pastebin here: http://pastebin.com/RmFJfYv3 .

Basically, the bindings are:
  • Left Touchpad -> F1 - F4
  • Left Stick -> WASD, click to Dodge
  • Back -> F5
  • Forward -> Toggle actioncam
  • Button Diamond -> 2 - 5
  • Right Touchpad -> Mouse, click to Use
  • Left Bumper -> weapon switch
  • Right Bumper -> 0
  • Left Trigger -> Right Mousebutton
  • Right Trigger -> Left Mousebutton
  • Right Grip -> Jump
  • Left Grip -> Modeswitch

When modeswitched:
  • Left Touchpad -> Touch menu for accessing inventory, map, etc.
  • Right Touchpad -> Scrollwheel
  • Button Diamond -> 6 - 9

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I've used this controller a lot now, and while I do love the right touch pad, I have yet to see a use for the left touch pad that couldn't be accomplished better with a simple D-pad.

Has anyone found any use for it other than using it as a D-pad or as 4 face buttons?

Lork

I've used this controller a lot now, and while I do love the right touch pad, I have yet to see a use for the left touch pad that couldn't be accomplished better with a simple D-pad.

Has anyone found any use for it other than using it as a D-pad or as 4 face buttons?
I set up a control scheme using it with the radial menu option as a somewhat awkward way to select weapons in Doom. That, and theoretically other shooters are about all I can see myself using it for. Definitely not worth losing an actual d-pad for.

That seems like a good layout, though personally I'd probably switch these:

When modeswitched:
  • Left Touchpad -> Touch menu for accessing inventory, map, etc.
  • Right Touchpad -> Scrollwheel

with eachother. If you map inv/map and stuff to the left pad it means you have to take your thumb off the stick and you're no longer moving. I'd rather be able to move and use the map to orient or open my inventory on the go with the right touchpad than the scroll wheel, which really isn't used for much beyond the odd camera adjustment here and there,

hepburn3d

I'm feeling a bit burnt out making control schemes. I wanted to make a new one for CoH2 with the new touch menu but I just wanted to play the game.

I feel a little bad because there are so many great improvements that can be made for a lot of games. I notice the top shared FAllout NV scheme isn't using the new stick mouse which I'm certain would make the best control scheme but I can't be bothered to make it :p hopefully wave 2 can pick up the slack. If I feel energised I'll make one tomorrow. Perhaps we need a control scheme request thread?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What is this touch menu feature?

Set up certain functions/abilities on one of the touchpads in a "pizza slice" function. Touch a particular slice for a particular function.

Basically, it gives a few more "buttons" than normal.

pmj

Sometimes the pad becomes super sensitive, as if it has autofire on or something. It's very difficult to navigate menus without overshooting, and it easily goes two menus deep with a single quick press of the A button.

What I'm trying to say is that I just accidentally restarted the system from Steam when all I wanted to do was to turn off the controller, taking all open files with a bunch of work in progress with it.

A giant fuck you to Valve for letting you restart the system from Steam without so much as a confirmation dialog. And you can't edit the menus in Steam to get rid of this option because fuck me I suppose.

Fuck. Just fuck.

Jinkies

Just a couple examples while I run out the door:

- Scroll wheel
- WASD with outer ring binding for a "run" key, and click for crouch

Be creative! :)

WillyFive

Sometimes the pad becomes super sensitive, as if it has autofire on or something. It's very difficult to navigate menus without overshooting, and it easily goes two menus deep with a single quick press of the A button.

What I'm trying to say is that I just accidentally restarted the system from Steam when all I wanted to do was to turn off the controller, taking all open files with a bunch of work in progress with it.

A giant fuck you to Valve for letting you restart the system from Steam without so much as a confirmation dialog. And you can't edit the menus in Steam to get rid of this option because fuck me I suppose.

Fuck. Just fuck.

I close all my other programs down when I play games on my PC; just as common practice. I don't want to waste processing power that could otherwise go to the game.

Okay even without setting anything up, there is a decent way to play WOW.

How do I go about customizing everything to my liking?

I try to launch wow via steam but it brings up the blizzard launcher

Thanks

Red

Is it possible to activate the keyboard in desktop mode? Would make navigating Windows a lot more convenient. Also, can I somehow assign two commands to a single button? I open Launchy with Alt+Spacebar but using two buttons simultaneously on the controller doesn't seem to register anything.

Okay even without setting anything up, there is a decent way to play WOW.

How do I go about customizing everything to my liking?

I try to launch wow via steam but it brings up the blizzard launcher

Thanks

If it's like GW2, just go ahead and launch the game -- in GW2 I still have access to BPM, even though the game link itself just throws up a launcher. Once in BPM, then you can change your settings on the controller.

Is it possible to activate the keyboard in desktop mode? Would make navigating Windows a lot more convenient. Also, can I somehow assign two commands to a single button? I open Launchy with Alt+Spacebar but using two buttons simultaneously on the controller doesn't seem to register anything.
Nope. :(

Bizzquik

to be honest , this controller is giving me fiddle fatigue. I just want to play a game I already have setup. I've spent more time playing with the controller as a I have playing the games since I got it.

Well said. That is me right now.

I'm hoping that the first week of its formal release (November 10th), things really pick up with so many new users coming on board and there are amazing profiles for even obscure titles.

This reminds me of school in the worst way: I don't want to study for the d@mn test myself, I want others to figure it out and for me to just have to copy the exam answers.
(I just want to play games!)

I'm not able to get my Origin version of Mass Effect 1 to work with the controller at all.
Bejeweled 3 works just fine. Anyone have suggestions?

Did you set Origin.exe as the non-Steam game? Launch that and then launch Mass Effect 1?

Yes. Worked just fine with Bejeweled, but with Mass Effect it started to control the Steam UI in the background.

This was both launching the game itself and launching Origin and the game afterwards.

Got a very brief hands on at PAX Aus yesterday. Feels pretty nice - smaller than I expected. Will wait a bit before buying, I think.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Just a couple examples while I run out the door:

- Scroll wheel
- WASD with outer ring binding for a "run" key, and click for crouch

Be creative! :)

WASD with outer ring to run and click to crouch is all better on the stick for me.

I don't remember many games that use scroll wheel very much. Just the rare shooter that allows you to hold more than 2 weapons, and occasionally as a zoom.

I do still need to try out this radial menu thing. Just haven't been playing games that need it yet.

Red

So how is this in CSGO or TF2? I have severe wrist issues that flare up when using a mouse in anything faster then an MMO or RTS.
Steam controller works great on those games, but since you are used to playing with a mouse, have you considered something like an ergonomic mouse. Evoluent is well known for vertical mice, but other brands are available.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So how is this in CSGO or TF2? I have severe wrist issues that flare up when using a mouse in anything faster then an MMO or RTS.

Not as good as a mouse for competitive. But you can play them. There's videos on /r/steam_controller of people using them in CS:GO and TF2.

Have tried two non steam games added to my library (W3 and AC:U) and the steam overlay flickers really badly in both games. Pretty much can't make changes to my controller profiles in game. Anybody know why?

Also, most games minimize shortly after starting and I have to alt tab to bring them back up. Only happens in BPM. Anyone else get this?

Top Bottom