• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Shawsie64

Banned
Managed to get one of these in Australia from a guy on /r/hardwareswap..

I gotta say I'm impressed! 15 minutes playing left for dead and I'm popping headshot after headshot. Can see where people might be turned off initially but honestly my first impressions were of "wow, this thing has TONS of potential".

Can't wait to tinker with community setups! Speaking of which, are the best ones at the start of the list by default?

welly_59

Neo Member
You mean November 10th right? It depends where and when you ordered.

As it says in the OP, from the Steam store - * The estimated delivery date [December 2nd - December 9] is for new pre-purchases on Steam. If you have an existing pre-order from before Oct 19th, you will receive your Steam Controller on Nov 10th.

Any other stores is what ever they say

Yes my mistake I meant the 10th.

As the 10th is a Tuesday Will we be seeing units shipped at the end of this week?

If they leave shipping until the Monday I can't see everyone getting it on the Tuesday, especially as I think I saw before that all euro orders were being shipped from the same depot

megateto

I wish there was a site that had controller configs for non-Steam versions of games. I have a non-Steam version of GTA V and am unable to see any community configs. Diablo 3 would be neat to see others' ideas too.

That said, does anyone know of any good GTA V configs? I can't seem to get the right pad to have a decent movement. Camera is too slow and aiming is too sensitive.

I'm on the very same spot right now, looking for good Diablo 3 and GTAV setups XD.

It hurts just how close this controller is to being perfect for Metal Gear Solid 5 for me.

The extra precision with aiming with a good Keyboard+Mouse config is great (especially with a little gyro), but not being able to fully use the analog stick (only the WASD directions and diagonals) and needing a separate run/walk button is just a little too annoying for me. And using it in controller configuration doesn't work for me either because I really don't like the simulated analog stick on the touch pad.

You don't need a separate run/walk button, you can configure the analog stick with an inverted threshold so that when it is slightly tilted it will hold down the walk key (in this case I believe it is ctrl).

The problem comes with if you hit something like escape (for your menu) while walking it'll minimize the game due to Windows hot key combinations. You can get around this by remapping Walk in game to another key and doing the same in your controller config, but then you won't be able to share that config and have it work with others by default.

:/

Widge

I need a new controller to replace my tired wired 360 controller.

I cannot decide whether to:

1) get an XboxOne pad AND a Steam controller
2) bypass the XboxOne pad and go pure Steam controller

I love the 360 pad on PC, the way everything maps perfectly for the on screen prompts. What I hate is not being able to play Mass Effect 2 and Planetside 2.

The Steam controller looks awesome but I am concerned that it wouldn't be as good as the XboxOne pad for games that are fully controller enabled.

Jinkies

I love the 360 pad on PC, the way everything maps perfectly for the on screen prompts. What I hate is not being able to play Mass Effect 2 and Planetside 2.

The Steam controller looks awesome but I am concerned that it wouldn't be as good as the XboxOne pad for games that are fully controller enabled.

If you want to try a brand new, unfamiliar, but more versatile way to control games, including those that play best with a 360-style gamepad, that is what the Steam Controller offers.

If you want what you already have, but more polished, then the XB1 controller would no doubt satisfy you.

I was planning on getting the Steam controller and an XBone pad, but now that I've seen what the Steam controller can do I no longer feel I need to use anything else regardless of genre. It's incredibly versatile and is still getting better with every update.

Been playing Dirt Rally with the Steam Controller for a bit, it's okay overall but I really miss rumble. Is there or will there be a way to map rumble to the haptic feedback motors?

Been playing Dirt Rally with the Steam Controller for a bit, it's okay overall but I really miss rumble. Is there or will there be a way to map rumble to the haptic feedback motors?

I don't doubt they will do something like this. The lack of traditional rumble seems like a weird omission to me.

After using the controller every single day for over two weeks, I have to say that the Steam controller is best used in concert with other controllers. By that I mean, if you wanna play a shooter, you're gonna want that next to you, but unless you like using an analog stick for platformers, the left touchpad simply takes too much force to press to be comfortable, and disabling Requires Click introduces a problem with lack of feedback, even with haptics jacked all the way up (not to mention being unable to rest your thumb on the pad, for the most part).

The thing that sucks, though, is that Big Picture Mode gives you no control over how the controller is seen by games. I discovered this when I tried to play Assetto Corsa. If you have, say, a Logitech G27 plugged in, it will also detect the Steam Controller as an XInput device, even if you don't have any gamepad buttons bound to it, unless you physically unplug the receiver before starting the game. This sucks really hard, because a mouse is required to navigate the menus in that game.

Also, I believe this to be the cause of the problems people have been seeing with regards to controller game compatibility. Different games handle multiple controllers being plugged in simultaneously differently. Oftentimes, your existing controller takes up the player 1 slot, and the Steam Controller is player 2, so its input is largely ignored because you can't reorder the slots without unplugging/reinserting the controllers in a specific order.

dsk1210

I noticed yesterday on steam is games that I have on my list through family sharing will not show community bindings.

Anything I am sharing is fine, but games shared by friends don't. I am having to set up my own MGS V profile. :-(

Nzyme32

I noticed yesterday on steam is games that I have on my list through family sharing will not show community bindings.

Anything I am sharing is fine, but games shared by friends don't. I am having to set up my own MGS V profile. :-(

Don't see why that should happen. Sounds like a pretty damn annoying bug. The one thing I get really annoyed with, is if BPM messes up and somehow makes getting to your binding or saving / editing it a problem. Worse is when you just want to get on with a game and have no inclination to do the leg work, but the community bindings are poor or poorly laid out to find the best solution for you. I'm sure these will improve in time, and it's partially expected right now, but still a nuisance

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So do you guys actually launch Origin and GOG Galaxy through bpm to then launch all of their games instead of adding them to Steam individually? Trying to see if that's a blanket way to use the controller in all of them.

hepburn3d

Nice little tip: if you want to use the controller as controller but need that mouse click for logging into games, have right trigger as right trigger with left click on hard click. Usually won't interfere with your game and let's you hit "start" on annoying log in screens :)

I went in to GameStop today here in Cincinnati to preorder the Steam Controller and the person who looked it up on the computer said they were no longer taking preorders for that store, but I was able to order it online at the counter to be shipped to my house for $59.90 tax and shipping. I hope I made the right choice as I wanted it on or near the Nov. 10 release date.

I noticed that Amazon has it with free shipping and it says the release date is Nov. 10 as well. I am not sure if I should cancel my GameStop order and go with Amazon or not. I have more experience with Amazon and they always seem to have fast shipping as well even while using free shipping.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I got an XboxOne pad after getting a steam controller. Better D-pad and way too many games force you to choose solely between WASD+Mouse or joysticks, meaning you have to make the tradeoff of better camera control or better character movement and character movement is usually more important to me. So that means you're emulating a gamepad a lot, and it's better to just use a real gamepad if that's what you're going to do.

It's also nice to have the buttons actually match with the onscreen prompts.

Still don't plan on getting rid of my steam controller, but just can't do it for all games.

Abitor

I got an XboxOne pad after getting a steam controller. Better D-pad and way too many games force you to choose solely between WASD+Mouse or joysticks, meaning you have to make the tradeoff of better camera control or better character movement and character movement is usually more important to me. So that means you're emulating a gamepad a lot, and it's better to just use a real gamepad if that's what you're going to do.

It's also nice to have the buttons actually match with the onscreen prompts.

Still don't plan on getting rid of my steam controller, but just can't do it for all games.

Emulating an anlog stick was a problem but the new mouse-joystick is imo better than an analog stick from a "normal" controller.

You don't need a separate run/walk button, you can configure the analog stick with an inverted threshold so that when it is slightly tilted it will hold down the walk key (in this case I believe it is ctrl).

The problem comes with if you hit something like escape (for your menu) while walking it'll minimize the game due to Windows hot key combinations. You can get around this by remapping Walk in game to another key and doing the same in your controller config, but then you won't be able to share that config and have it work with others by default.

:/

That's a pretty cool fix for that issue, but I think my main problem with WASD emulation on the analog stick is that I don't get 360 degree feel of regular analog stick controls.

I'll want to tilt the stick in just the right angle to sprint between some rocks, but with the keyboard mouse settings, I have to kinda hurky jerky zig-zag to make the same move. It's not something I really notice in PC exclusive games, but for a game I've played 30 hours of with a 360 controller already, I'm not able to adjust very easily.

beta update wasn't posted

Fixed a client crash when running a game with an invalid official controller configuration
Fixed some "gyro enable button" options not applying properly
Fixed bugs preventing controllers from showing up under settings when using a Steam Link
Fixed properly showing binding descriptions for games that have an official configuration
Changed the appearance of unbound Touch Menu keys
Fixed sixteenth key in a 16-way Touch Menu not being clickable

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/announcements/detail/48772164583350411

Abitor

I think Tales of Zestiria killed my Steam Controller. I used the right grip button for attack(so i pressed the button very often) and now the button does not work anymore.

Taborcarn

I think Tales of Zestiria killed my Steam Controller. I used the right grip button for attack(so i pressed the button very often) and now the button does not work anymore.

Bring it up with Valve, that is a major flaw they should know about. They should replace your controller.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Bring it up with Valve, that is a major flaw they should know about. They should replace your controller.

Same problem here, except mine was barely working when I got it. I took the plate off and tried pushing the button in there manually and the sensor itself wasn't responding except in one offset area when pushing relatively hard. I called them earlier and I'm going to exchange it at the store once they get some in stock.

Abitor

Have fixed it myself. My english is prety poor but i hope you can understand my solution.

I put a piece of folded paper under the battery cover so the lid is again properly fixed and do not slide back and forth. The button does work again.

Nete

So do you guys actually launch Origin and GOG Galaxy through bpm to then launch all of their games instead of adding them to Steam individually? Trying to see if that's a blanket way to use the controller in all of them.

Does BPM (haven't used it yet) or the Controller (I don't have it yet :p) need you to have Steam overlay active? Because if that's the case, you will probably need to link the game itself instead of the client. That's easy on GOG as you just need to add the .exe, but Origin games need a couple extra steps to be properly recognized by Steam overlay:

1- Add the game's .exe on Steam as usual.
2- Check the game properties on Steam. On 'Target", and after a blank space, add the path to Origin's .exe. For instance, the Target on my Battlefront beta looks like this:

"D:\jocs\Origin Games\STAR WARS Battlefront Beta\starwarsbattlefront.exe" "D:\jocs\Origin\Origin.exe"

3- Go to Origin application settings. In "General", uncheck "Automatically launch Origin when I log on to Win”. In "Origin in Game", uncheck “Enable Origin In Game” to disable Origin overlay as it can give you some troubles with Steam overlay. In “Advanced”, check “Automatically exit Origin after closing game”. You will only need to do this once.

With this, when you launch the game from Steam Origin will also be launched and then the game, and you should have full access to Steam overlay. Once you exit the game, Origin will be automatically closed.

Just got the email. Says my scheduled delivery is Friday 11/06/2015, but I know a lot of people in the earlybird batch didn't get theirs on the scheduled delivery date so I'll just have to wait and see. Would be an awesome way to start the weekend though!

Edit: Ordered Oct. 9.

Nerrel

I'm having a hell of a hard time getting Arkham Knight to work. I tried the most popular configuration, but the right stick is extremely awkward to deal with. It's incredibly sensitive and jittery to the touch, but dialing it down to make it usable for aiming results in incredibly slow turn speeds. I've tried tweaking a lot of the settings (the config creator had sensitivity at 100%!) but there's no balance that feels right.

Also, the gyro aim stutters and locks up for no apparent reason. It doesn't happen when I'm pressing another button or anything, it just seizes up while it's the only input active. The gyro aim at least feels as good as ever when it works, and is a hell of lot better than the wonky trackpad aiming I've got for now.

At the moment, I think my Wii U Pro would be a much better way to play, but I don't want to give in when I know the Steam pad should be better. How is everyone else playing this game? Are there any configs that someone here considers an ideal way to play?

kinn

After what seems like ages, I can now finally ship my dodgy controller back to Valve. I doubt Ill get a replacement until December.

laxu

I'm having a hell of a hard time getting Arkham Knight to work. I tried the most popular configuration, but the right stick is extremely awkward to deal with. It's incredibly sensitive and jittery to the touch, but dialing it down to make it usable for aiming results in incredibly slow turn speeds. I've tried tweaking a lot of the settings (the config creator had sensitivity at 100%!) but there's no balance that feels right.

Also, the gyro aim stutters and locks up for no apparent reason. It doesn't happen when I'm pressing another button or anything, it just seizes up while it's the only input active. The gyro aim at least feels as good as ever when it works, and is a hell of lot better than the wonky trackpad aiming I've got for now.

At the moment, I think my Wii U Pro would be a much better way to play, but I don't want to give in when I know the Steam pad should be better. How is everyone else playing this game? Are there any configs that someone here considers an ideal way to play?

Since it's a shitty port it doesn't support mouse + gamepad at the same time. I've used just the gamepad config but changed right trackpad to use mouse joystick. Still haven't figured out how to make that work right, it is indeed too slow. A purely keyboard config might work better but of course you lose button prompts then.

Top Bottom