• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

CO_Andy

Got a shipping label from Valve to fix the controller. Unfortunately the label is postmarked today (on Thanksgiving) to be sent :/

Ok so binding my desktop preset to xinput gamepad bindings results in a whole bunch of nothing? Witcher 3 (gog version), emulators and everything else I've tried just refuses to respond. Why is this? Mouse/KB inputs obviously work fine. Also, adding Witcher 3 as a steam shortcut just has the game crash as soon as it starts up (even with steam overlay turned off) in both BPM and desktop. Launching the exact same .exe from Windows without involving Steam works perfectly fine. Literally what is going on here? Ugh.

zbarron

Ok so binding my desktop preset to xinput gamepad bindings results in a whole bunch of nothing? Witcher 3 (gog version), emulators and everything else I've tried just refuses to respond. Why is this? Mouse/KB inputs obviously work fine. Also, adding Witcher 3 as a steam shortcut just has the game crash as soon as it starts up (even with steam overlay turned off) in both BPM and desktop. Launching the exact same .exe from Windows without involving Steam works perfectly fine. Literally what is going on here? Ugh.
I am having the same issue. When I check USB game controllers it doesn't show one.

I did find a good use for Mouse Region. DS emulators play like a dream on this now. I set it to mouse and keyboard mode since the DS doesn't have anything analog anyway, and put the circle slightly larger than the bottom screen. That way I have all the controls and can play anything. I just tested it on Elite Beat Agents and beat the first two levels with it including acing the spinny part at the end of the song. As a bonus I didn't have to destroy my poor DS' lower screen doing it.

Gruso

ru55lee

Neo Member
Trying to get the controller to work with Battlefield Hardline and I am having no luck. It works fine with BF4 and all my presets but I tried the same method that got BF4 working but with hardline the steam overlay and controller doesn't work properly :/

Widge

Like the sound of this one for Elite Dangerous:

Nutella-Addicts Setup (Users: 7)

This layout allows for couch gaming with almost full ship functionality. Essential combat buttons are accessed directly, non-essential combat buttons (landing gear, lights, etc...) are accessed from a button menu instead.

I was planning on being an Xbox pad player but shall see how this goes.

Sullichin

Man I am having nothing but a shitty time trying to use this on my Mac.

I am trying to play Axiom Verge with it, but A seems to be mapped to the start button no matter what I do. Can't shoot. Can only move or jump and go through menus. This really blows. I updated the firmware and restarted several times. I'm in the client beta.

Nzyme32

I've made the holy grail of Deus Ex bindings thanks to the touch menus. I published them under the name "Augmented Controller Bindings"

Really love the binding set, especially when looking back at the mess I made before touch menus showed up. Practically everything is bound to the Steam Controller, and it both feels great and doesn't feel cluttered at all. Touch menus have definitely got to be one of my favourite features thus far.

qs2z2No.png

Everything is as above and works wonderfully. The big plus though, is the two touch menus.

• The left pad touch menu is always available. It covers all the item slots usually governed by the number keys 1 to 0, as well as quick load and quick save.
  • If you hold the right grip, you get access to a touch menu on the right pad. This covers all the augmentations (F3 to F12) as well as inventory (F1) and Goals/Notes (F2). The only downside is that F12 (the light augmentation) is also the default Steam screenshot button, so if you want to prevent that you have to change the steam settings.

Here is an example of the two touch menus in action.

LJnvvY9.png

Nabs

That looks nice, I'll give it a try once I'm done with Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

I'm having a really good time with RtCW. The gyro adds so much to the controller experience.

I don't suppose that anyone has gotten this working with Xbox One streaming yet, have they? I'd like to see how well the mouse joystick mode works with Halo.

Did anyone else suddenly have their controller die? Mine won't turn on no matter what out of nowhere. Can a Steam Beta update break the controller in such a way?

Blizzard

Banned
Did anyone else suddenly have their controller die? Mine won't turn on no matter what out of nowhere. Can a Steam Beta update break the controller in such a way?
I suppose it's possible. To ask the silly question: Have you taken the batteries out and put them back in yet?

deadfolk

Silly question...

If I download one of those mapping files and want to use it for a non-steam game which I've added as a shortcut, how do I know where to put the file so it will be applied to that game?

Do I have to add it to the templates directory, choose it from steam, save it (to get a copy) and then delete the template file? I'm sure that would work, but it feels like there must be an easier way.

Red

My controller is completely unresponsive after the latest firmware update. It still lights up and shows as detected, but there is no startup beep and none of the inputs work. It won't even turn off with a long press. Have to take the batteries out.

"Retrying firmware update" showed up after a restart, let's see how this goes.

No luck. Just keeps looping retries.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So. I currently use an Xbox One Controller on my PC. I always use comfy couch 4K setup, and have not sat at my dual monitor desk in over a year.

This works great for most games, but say games like System Shock 2, or other games with poor game pad implementation, for people who own the Steam Controller, are these types of games playable? Without using M&KB?

So. I currently use an Xbox One Controller on my PC. I always use comfy couch 4K setup, and have not sat at my dual monitor desk in over a year.

This works great for most games, but say games like System Shock 2, or other games with poor game pad implementation, for people who own the Steam Controller, are these types of games playable? Without using M&KB?

Haven't used it in system shock, but you're describing one of the best features of the controller - implementation for games without native xinput. It's worked great for me so far in games like Darkest Dungeon, Civilization V, and old games like Worms Armageddon.

Eusis

System Shock 2 in particular has official bindings, and that touch menu on the left pad likely ensures nearly anything can be played barring the controller simply not wanting to work for technical reasons, I.E. DOSBOX and that's more due to refusing to change from desktop bindings, so that is just more of a pain than normal for now.

Bit-Bit

Yes, I've been playing with just the controller emulating mouse and keyboard and most FPS games works great on it.

Nzyme32

I definitely think they are very playable with the Steam Controller if you have a good binding set (see my Deus Ex binding above), if not perfectly so for almost any genres. I still struggle with fast RTS games, but I haven't particularly put any effort into trying them since I'm playing other stuff. The big problem though is reading text from the typical distance a TV is at. If you have a big enough screen, you're ok, but otherwise reading can be a challenge for the older games that have no scaling, especially if you don't have great eye sight. For Deus Ex, I use a mod to have the scaling work perfectly on a TV (my above screenshot doesn't show that as I changed it to suit the laptop I was using at the time).

Thankfully (eventually) Valve are bringing a magnifier to BPM to help with those kind of games. The only issue is whether their solution will be good enough and easy enough to use.

Foxyone

I seem to be slowly getting better at Counter Strike and starting to get some TDM games where I get 6xx or 7xx points, and I usually win or come close to the top of TDM games that I fully play. My highest TDM win streak is at least 5 in a row. My aiming is stilly wonky sometimes, but I swear I'm having some overall games where I perform as well or better than I did with m + kb, because I don't always score that high with m + kb. Still gotta try Casual sometime.

I wish Shadowplay wouldn't keep recording the wrong things and losing good games though.

Nabs

The Steam Controller is perfect for old games like that. Here's my setup for Hitman 2. The menu appears when you touch the left pad.

System Shock 2 has one similar to that. It's pretty neat.

Gyro in FPS is genius. There is no going back after this! I love looking vertically with gyro. It makes it so much easier and enjoyable to me. I just bought Black Mesa in the Steam sale and I really enjoy using Schyz's bindings with gyro. I had to enable joystick in game and changed some keyboard bindings like duck and sprint around to get them to work.

He recommends you set mouse sensitivity in game to 2.0, but I never did that, yet it still feels good to me. I may go back and lower it to see how it feels after that. I added sprint to analog click and now this game feels almost perfect to me.

Red

After letting my controller try to update multiple times, it finally worked and gave me a "connection problems" prompt afterward. I recently put a Christmas tree up next to my PC, and it must have been causing interference. I stuck the controller dongle on the extension dock and it's good now.

I'm having a little trouble in games like A Story About My Uncle and DeadCore, which require quick, precise movements and rotations that are ill-suited for a trackball-esque input. Maybe it is lingering unfamiliarity. These are the only games I've played recently that feel not-quite-right with the Steam controller.

Has anyone here tried the Steam controller with Hack 'n' Slash?

atr0cious

For shooters, does anyone use the track pad for movement, and if so what settings do you use? Trying to find something comfortable for CSGO but really hindered by movement at the moment.

Two weeks of use and the sore spot of my experience has to be the dearth of game to allow simultaneous gamepad and mouse. Mouse joystick is fantastic for what it is, but it is a crutch. Insofar as developer support for the Steam Controller, it's all I ask for.

MNC

The Steam Controller is perfect for old games like that. Here's my setup for Hitman 2. The menu appears when you touch the left pad.

System Shock 2 has one similar to that. It's pretty neat.

THERE ARE ICON POSSIBILITIES!?

This controller is the fucking bomb.

Miutsu

After letting my controller try to update multiple times, it finally worked and gave me a "connection problems" prompt afterward. I recently put a Christmas tree up next to my PC, and it must have been causing interference. I stuck the controller dongle on the extension dock and it's good now.

I'm having a little trouble in games like A Story About My Uncle and DeadCore, which require quick, precise movements and rotations that are ill-suited for a trackball-esque input. Maybe it is lingering unfamiliarity. These are the only games I've played recently that feel not-quite-right with the Steam controller.

Has anyone here tried the Steam controller with Hack 'n' Slash?

I recently uploaded my config for deadcore, which is based on another config but with tweaked mouse and gyro settings, you could give it a try if you want, it's Xhanim's config.

I managed to feel very comfortable with it, since the game does require quick response in the later parts.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Man, I could barely play Deadcore with a mouse. No way in hell I'd use it to test the Steam controller.

coopolon

I ended up deciding to go back to the 360 controller for Witcher 3. Being able to choose signs without opening up the radial menu was awesome but the pad never felt right.

I did try it briefly in portal 2 though and it was pretty good, I HATE playing fps/tps on game pads so I think this is going to be really great for that, but I won't be putting away my 360 or ds4 anytime soon.

Haven't tried a mouse and keyboard game yet, looking forward to it though now that I know about touch menus, that sounds really awesome.

Nabs

I've been hooked on Return to Castle Wolfenstein these last few days. Rich!, it's great with the controller. My new config (RtCW by Nabs) is looking good:

I ended up deciding to go back to the 360 controller for Witcher 3. Being able to choose signs without opening up the radial menu was awesome but the pad never felt right.

Look into using your DS4 (exclusive mode) instead of your 360 pad for TW3. In DS4Windows I set the Shift Modifier to R2, then set X/O/Square/Triangle/L2 to macros that select the sign on the keyboard (3-7), and activate it (Q) a few ms later by recording the delays. Inputmapper has a very similar setup if you're using that instead. I also have the swipes and touchpad clicks to open various menus. It's pretty damn solid, and a pretty big improvement over the standard 360 controller.

Red

I recently uploaded my config for deadcore, which is based on another config but with tweaked mouse and gyro settings, you could give it a try if you want, it's Xhanim's config.

I managed to feel very comfortable with it, since the game does require quick response in the later parts.

I'll definitely take a look, thanks. I managed to get around okay with the controller but it always felt like a handicap.

The Light

The learning curve is real with this. I cannot aim with this thing on warframe to save my life lol. The slightest movement sends the camera going in every direction but my target. Will also take some getting used to the button placement to activate abilities.

coopolon

I've been hooked on Return to Castle Wolfenstein these last few days. Rich!, it's great with the controller. My new config (RtCW by Nabs) is looking good:

Look into using your DS4 (exclusive mode) instead of your 360 pad for TW3. In DS4Windows I set the Shift Modifier to R2, then set X/O/Square/Triangle/L2 to macros that select the sign on the keyboard (3-7), and activate it (Q) a few ms later by recording the delays. Inputmapper has a very similar setup if you're using that instead. I also have the swipes and touchpad clicks to open various menus. It's pretty damn solid, and a pretty big improvement over the standard 360 controller.

Wow, ds4 Windows can do this? I've had some issues with the ds4 and Witcher 3, since it has native support it records some inputs twice (from the dpad), even when I select hide ds4.

I am definitely going into this, thanks for the great suggestion!

Oreoleo

The learning curve is real with this. I cannot aim with this thing on warframe to save my life lol. The slightest movement sends the camera going in every direction but my target. Will also take some getting used to the button placement to activate abilities.

It's no joke. Took me about a dozen hours to get comfortable with it, not even necessarily good, but just to the point where it stopped feeling like I was fighting the controller anymore.

But honestly, I think that's pretty normal. I wonder how many people are old enough to remember the transition to dual analog controllers. Personally, cutting my teeth on Halo 1 and 2 after years of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark was fucking painful. Staring at the ceiling, spinning in place, all that cliche stuff. But the controls got better and we got better at using them and now to a large majority, anything else seems unnatural. The Steam controller is basically that all over again. Will be interesting to see where we're at 5 or 10 years from now.

Nabs

It's no joke. Took me about a dozen hours to get comfortable with it, not even necessarily good, but just to the point where it stopped feeling like I was fighting the controller anymore.

But honestly, I think that's pretty normal. I wonder how many people are old enough to remember the transition to dual analog controllers. Personally, cutting my teeth on Halo 1 and 2 after years of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark was fucking painful. Staring at the ceiling, spinning in place, all that cliche stuff. But the controls got better and we got better at using them and now to a large majority, anything else seems unnatural. The Steam controller is basically that all over again. Will be interesting to see where we're at 5 or 10 years from now.

Very true.

Wow, ds4 Windows can do this? I've had some issues with the ds4 and Witcher 3, since it has native support it records some inputs twice (from the dpad), even when I select hide ds4.

I am definitely going into this, thanks for the great suggestion!

Yeah, you just have to make sure exclusive mode is functioning (Hide DS4). Feel free to pm me with questions if you run into any issues.

My 360 controller would turn itself off each time it vibrated, so I decided to order a Steam controller to replace it. So far, I'm finding it to be pretty great! All of the games that I'd usually play with the 360 controller are a breeze. I did mess around with other configs for them, but to be honest, I feel like for most of them the developers had a fair idea of what works best.

It took a little while to understand all of the mode shifting, gyro, touch menu, etc functions. Now that I do understand, it's crazy the possibilities the controller provides. The touch menus are a big game changer, I love them.

Gruso

Breathing life into another classic! GTI Racing, which is currently $1.24:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/3000/

http://steamcontroller.rocks/search/3000

Herbie Handbrake
- Classic racer style controls, with gyro & grip gears.
- Set your in-game acc/brk/steer bindings to left stick & triggers, console style. Leave others default.
- Triggers are two-stage, with handbrake / nitro on full pull.
- Pads are UI navigation: right for mouse movement, soft-touch left is click
- Pads are hard-click horns in game. Mashing them feels good.
- Everything mapped except chat

Top Bottom