• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Planescape: Torment works perfectly as well. Actually pretty much every game I have tried works perfectly thus far as long as you are willing to use a desktop config per-game.

Bizzquik

Mine just came in the mail.

HOLY SHIT.

Can we talk about how amazing this thing is for older games? The first thing I did was boot KOTOR up and tinker around. I've found the perfect configuration, and the controller's ability to emulate analog movement is wonderful. No more tank movements, this thing almost feels like a modern game.

Fuck, I'm having a blast.

Thanks for sharing.
What config are you using for KotOR...?
Are you using a 1920x1080p mod?

I wish KotOR 1 got the KotOR 2 treatment.

Pachimari

So guys, I have added Minecraft as a non-steam game to my Steam library, and the Steam controller works perfectly well but the Steam overlay doesn't show up, and thus I can't change the controls. How do I do this correctly?

Foxyone

Can't say I've tried Minecraft, but have you tried running Steam as admin? I think at least one of my games needs that before the overlay works.

Pachimari

Can't say I've tried Minecraft, but have you tried running Steam as admin? I think at least one of my games needs that before the overlay works.
I might have forgotten that. Usually I run Steam as admin with Mass Effect. Isn't their a way to tell Steam to start up in admin by default?

Foxyone

I might have forgotten that. Usually I run Steam as admin with Mass Effect. Isn't their a way to tell Steam to start up in admin by default?

A quick Google search says yes. It says to find the .exe of a program, right-click and go to properties, then in the Compatibility tab, check the "run this program as administrator" button:

img_534ec6d5a6a7f.png

http://www.howtogeek.com/187086/ask...lication-to-always-run-in-administrator-mode/

I'll have to give that a try myself.

deadfolk

So guys, I have added Minecraft as a non-steam game to my Steam library, and the Steam controller works perfectly well but the Steam overlay doesn't show up, and thus I can't change the controls. How do I do this correctly?

Go into Big Picture mode, select the shortcut you added for Minecraft and select 'Customize Controller' without launching the game. It's a pain for games like this, because if you are tweaking, there is a lot of back-and-forth, but it's doable.

King_Moc

Banned
Go into Big Picture mode, select the shortcut you added for Minecraft and select 'Customize Controller' without launching the game. It's a pain for games like this, because if you are tweaking, there is a lot of back-and-forth, but it's doable.

You can also just alt-tab between the settings in big picture mode and the game, while the game is running. I was just doing it to set up a Rainbow Six config.

atr0cious

Anyone know how to add Windows 10 apps to steam? I want to use the controller for hydro thunder, but I can't figure out how to make it work.

Yokai

There's an email in the OP to contact the controller devs directly. Wouldn't expect much to get resolved this week with Thanksgiving right around the corner, unfortunately.

Yeah, I'm writing the email now. The unfortunate thing is that I love this controller and I've been playing fallout 4 with it and wouldn't really play it any other way -- So I'm going to have to wait until I can get the replacement.

I could try the PS4 controller that I have but I've never been a fan of analog stick controls for aiming.

Blizzard

Banned
A quick Google search says yes. It says to find the .exe of a program, right-click and go to properties, then in the Compatibility tab, check the "run this program as administrator" button:

img_534ec6d5a6a7f.png

http://www.howtogeek.com/187086/ask...lication-to-always-run-in-administrator-mode/

I'll have to give that a try myself.
I seem to recall hearing that administrator can cause some headaches (to say nothing of the security risk) and it's not recommended for Steam as a whole. Thankfully Mass Effect doesn't require admin for me, for some reason. (Windows 7 64-bit home premium)

Unai

In the Dragon's Dogma thread:

Can I seamlessly change between a controller and KB+M? So I can play with a controller but change to KB+M when I want to snipe something with a bow?

Short answer is 'yes.'
Game accepts input from both device types simultaneously. A hybrid device such as the Steam Controller also works where the right track pad can be configured in mouse-look/trackball mode.

We'll have more info to share in the early part of December. ;-)

Gruso

Is anyone aware of a general SteamOS user's thread? I know there are lots of threads about SteamOS generally, but they're full of people talking about why they won't use it / why it will fail / other expert market commentary.

Search hasn't revealed anything. If there's not one, I might start it.

Arklite

Controller arrived yesterday. Im...astonished that I could actually play a fighter with it. The left pad feels too large to comfortably input quick half-circle/quarter circle stuff constantly but it CAN work well as far as I can see.

But first I jumped straight into UT3. It's certainly better for those quick 180s than a standard pad, but the precise aiming and tracking of targets is really sketchy. I couldn't find a perfect sweet spot in settings. Guess i need practice.

Also I'm not liking it much at all in Fallout but that game is annoying me even on KBM.

Foxyone

Can I? This outside or inside BPM?

If you follow this path:

C:\Program files (x86)\Steam\userdata\userid\241100\remote\controller_config\gameid

You should be able to find a saved binding for a game (in a VDF file). Find the binding you want, then copy it into:

C:\ Program files (x86)\Steam\controller_base\templates

At least it worked with my PSO2 bindings that show up as a possible template for any game now.

Is anyone aware of a general SteamOS user's thread? I know there are lots of threads about SteamOS generally, but they're full of people talking about why they won't use it / why it will fail / other expert market commentary.

Search hasn't revealed anything. If there's not one, I might start it.

I haven't seen one. You should go for it.

Nabs

New Update!

Steam Controller
  • Added a new touchpad mode, Mouse Region. This lets a touchpad be mapped to a configurable, fixed region of the game window, such that touching the pad in a given zone will always position the mouse cursor to the same matching spot in that region. This can be used to improve accuracy and responsiveness in top-down action games and strategy games. Mouse Region modes can warp the cursor to and from their region when they are activated through mode-shifts, which can be useful for holding a button to activate a smaller Mouse Region above the minimap in a strategy game. The regions are also reshapable, allowing a configuration to temporarily activate a horizontal, flat Mouse Region on top of a skillbar in a roleplaying game.
  • Added support for visualizing small Mouse Region modes in the Controller HUD.
  • With this client, a new firmware for the controller has also been released with improved touchpad finger tracking and various other bug fixes.

Big Picture

• Expanded the Resume and Explore part of Library, adding more rows based on what your friends are playing, what games have updated, and others.

Forgive my dumb question, but what functionality would I be missing out on if I'm not running BPM for a game? It doesn't seem to be viable for me in some games, as Tomb Raider went from a smooth 60 FPS down to about...5.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Does editing the text files allow setting extra-low friction settings, or is it limited to the same options as are available in BPM?

XBP

Has anyone had any luck with the controller in fast paced online fps games? I'm doing fairly ok in BF4 TDM but mouse control is just so much better in an online game I feel.

sirap

Is your KOTOR profile public? If so, what's the name? I started it for the first time just with the default profile which wasn't exactly great.

Also, do you have some sort of mod to make the ui bigger?

Thanks for sharing.
What config are you using for KotOR...?
Are you using a 1920x1080p mod?

I wish KotOR 1 got the KotOR 2 treatment.

Not yet, I'm still tinkering around key bindings. Thinking of doing some modeshifting to allow easy dialog selection via the numbad.

The highest rated user profile is a good starting point, but make sure you change the joystick mode to analog emulation. If you don't do this, the joystick only reacts to up, left, down and right without blending any two inputs together if you push the stick diagonally.

Pachimari

I seem to recall hearing that administrator can cause some headaches (to say nothing of the security risk) and it's not recommended for Steam as a whole. Thankfully Mass Effect doesn't require admin for me, for some reason. (Windows 7 64-bit home premium)
In the Steam thread they say that admin mode can't cause any security risks. I need it for Minecraft and Mass Effect so far.

Actually after reading this post, I realize I haven't tried launching the game from BPM at all. I'll try that first.

Forgive my dumb question, but what functionality would I be missing out on if I'm not running BPM for a game? It doesn't seem to be viable for me in some games, as Tomb Raider went from a smooth 60 FPS down to about...5.
You'd only miss out on things that need the BPM overlay. Those would be the virtual keyboard and the Touch Menu option for the pads.

derFeef

How are people handling custom settings if the game supports mutliple input methods, or even controller variants? I am planning to build a good Elite config atm and I am struggling where to begin. Do I set the game to m+kb and start from there? do I set it to controller and start from there? And then the game itself features a LOT of customizing options for the inputs. It kinda makes my head explode.

Also the right pad click is a bit too sensitive for my bear hands, I click it all the time :(

terrible

Banned
New firmware crashes the talos principle X(

Do you have Steam set to download beta client updates by any chance? I started not being able to launch The Talos Principle, L4D2, and CSGO in BPM today even though they worked when launched in regular Steam. I opted out of the beta update on a whim and everything works fine now for me.

laxu

How are people handling custom settings if the game supports mutliple input methods, or even controller variants? I am planning to build a good Elite config atm and I am struggling where to begin. Do I set the game to m+kb and start from there? do I set it to controller and start from there? And then the game itself features a LOT of customizing options for the inputs. It kinda makes my head explode.

Also the right pad click is a bit too sensitive for my bear hands, I click it all the time :(

I usually start with the gamepad, then see if it works together with the mouse for looking. If not, then I go to kb+m mode.

coopolon

Just got my steam controller, not that impressed yet. Admit it will take a little bit of learning.

The popular profiles seem really...conventional. For example, in Witcher 3 the dev's profile is just a gamepad with a quicksave button. All the top community profiles are the same.

Wouldn't it be better to get more adventurous? There are mods available that allow you to select various signs using shortcut buttons on the gamepad, I'm surprised no one has done that for the steam controller yet, especially since it wouldn't require a mod right? Just add right grip+a=aard (shortcut key 3), right grip+b=yrden (shortcut key 4), etc.? Or am I missing something?

laxu

Just got my steam controller, not that impressed yet. Admit it will take a little bit of learning.

The popular profiles seem really...conventional. For example, in Witcher 3 the dev's profile is just a gamepad with a quicksave button. All the top community profiles are the same.

Wouldn't it be better to get more adventurous? There are mods available that allow you to select various signs using shortcut buttons on the gamepad, I'm surprised no one has done that for the steam controller yet, especially since it wouldn't require a mod right? Just add right grip+a=aard (shortcut key 3), right grip+b=yrden (shortcut key 4), etc.? Or am I missing something?

A lot of people don't think outside the box. What I did for Witcher 3 (non Steam version so can't upload config) was use one of the grip buttons to turn the joystick into a spellcaster. So right grip + joystick down = quen for example. Works pretty great and is fast to use in combat. Might actually try mapping that to the ABXY buttons when the next DLC drops.

zbarron

Controller arrived yesterday. Im...astonished that I could actually play a fighter with it. The left pad feels too large to comfortably input quick half-circle/quarter circle stuff constantly but it CAN work well as far as I can see.

But first I jumped straight into UT3. It's certainly better for those quick 180s than a standard pad, but the precise aiming and tracking of targets is really sketchy. I couldn't find a perfect sweet spot in settings. Guess i need practice.

Also I'm not liking it much at all in Fallout but that game is annoying me even on KBM.

Are you exclusively using the trackpad to aim or are you using gyro as well?

I aim a lot better with the gyro than I do with the trackpad, to the point where I use the trackpad simply for turning to the general area of the enemy and do all the aiming with the gyro, not just fine tuning like most seem to do. I'm thinking of disabling the gyro some times to practice without it. I feel I'm using it as a crutch and not actually learning how to use the controller properly.

Typing of the Dead Overkill has a House of the Dead Overkill mode built in and I like to play that with the gyro. If I set the sensitivity correctly it's almost as good as playing with the Wii remote but admittedly less comfortable since it's two hands instead of one.

dsk1210

Are you exclusively using the trackpad to aim or are you using gyro as well?

I aim a lot better with the gyro than I do with the trackpad, to the point where I use the trackpad simply for turning to the general area of the enemy and do all the aiming with the gyro, not just fine tuning like most seem to do. I'm thinking of disabling the gyro some times to practice without it. I feel I'm using it as a crutch and not actually learning how to use the controller properly.

Typing of the Dead Overkill has a House of the Dead Overkill mode built in and I like to play that with the gyro. If I set the sensitivity correctly it's almost as good as playing with the Wii remote but admittedly less comfortable since it's two hands instead of one.

Actually I think a split version of the controller would be fantastic, that way your right or left hand could use the gyro way more comfortably. It would need a slightly different ergonomic design to allow access to all buttons comfortably.

King_Moc

Banned
Created myself a Rainbow Six Siege profile that seems to work nicely. Mouse is mapped to the right trackpad, and the gyro at the same time, so it's basically like Splatoon. I almost managed to complete a full Terrorist Hunt by myself with it.

dsk1210

Created myself a Rainbow Six Siege profile that seems to work nicely. Mouse is mapped to the right trackpad, and the gyro at the same time, so it's basically like Splatoon. I almost managed to complete a full Terrorist Hunt by myself with it.

That's the way I have played every FPS. I love it.

here are pics of the mouse region mode from reddit

So this is pretty cool, when I activate my modeshift button my mouse snaps to the center of that circle and I can move it and then click to snap my games camera to that location on the map.

It's also pretty intuitive, I could after about 10 minute of use reliable snap to the middle, top and bottom lanes with out looking or using the hud.

Seems best for RTS/rpg games where you use an onscreen click interface a lot. A minimap in the RTS for example, and your hotbar in like an RPG/MMORPG.

Edit: oh any games that use a radial menu, like dishonored for example.

The Center Circle is set for the left pad (can also be set to Stick) and the bottom bar is set to left pad mode shift.

With the HUD on it shows both of The touch regions used as Blue ovals. When you mode shift to the bottom oval, It will center the mouse to the center of the bottom oval (6key in the pic) And when you release the mode shift, The mouse will go back up to the center circle where it was originally.

This is a crazy good feature. Just need a Outer Ring Binding and It would be awesome.

datamage

I wasn't happy with any of the available Fallout 4 configs (that I tried), so I decided to take the time and make my own. I wanted to use mouse mode for aiming as I did not find mouse/joystick mode to be too great in this game.

I'm pretty happy with my setup even when using the Pip-Boy.

I tried sticking with the standard gamepad layout, for the most part.

Here's my current config, open to suggestions as some things can probably be made better.

Left Trigger (soft pull/full press) = Aim / Hold breath
Left Bumper = VATS
Right Trigger = Shoot
Right Bumper = Bash/Grenade

D-Pad = Click to bring up Favorites, up/dn/left/right select Favorite. (Set to touch mode)
Analog stick = Movement (WASD)
Back/Menu = Third person mode / (Hold) for Workshop menu
Start = Menu
Right Pad = Mouse mode for aiming, (click) crouches, tap and hold for gyro.

X = Reload
Y = Jump
A = Use
B = Pip-Boy

Left grip = Sprint
Right grip = Modifier (to be used while in Pip-Boy)

While in Pip-Boy- (analog stick can move you through the menus and sub-menus)

D-Pad = tapping Up/Dn navigates through items in list (while holding Right grip)
Analog stick up = Add to favorites (while holding Right grip)
Analog stick dn = Drop (while holding Right grip)
Analog stick left = Inspect (while holding Right grip)
Analog stick right = Sort (while holding Right grip)
B = Level up/Perks List (while holding Right grip)

Lastly, when browsing items to loot, I use the right-grip modifier, and the right pad becomes a scroll wheel to scroll through the items. (When looting from a dead corpse, for example.)

I was originally playing with a KBM and wanted to migrate over to the Steam controller, so I forced myself to come up with a config.This started as a, let me make sure I have access to everything while using the controller, and it came out well for me. I'm still looking to improve upon it however.

sirap

All this gyro talk is making me excited, I didn't even know the controller had it but you all are so positive about it.

Gyro is fantastic. I wasn't too hot on it the first time, but then I realized Valve lets you customize almost everything. Once I decreased the vertical sensitivity ratio and pumped up the smoothing, things just clicked.

Tealmann

I just realized you can change the default config for the desktop, which makes non-steam games and emulators easier as you can make it act like an Xbox controller.
I kinda wish you could write the config to the controller itself so that you don't need steam running but this is still cool.
Was this always here or was it added in an update?

Unai

I just realized you can change the default config for the desktop, which makes non-steam games and emulators easier as you can make it act like an Xbox controller.
I kinda wish you could write the config to the controller itself so that you don't need steam running but this is still cool.
Was this always here or was it added in an update?

It was added some updates ago.

King_Moc

Banned
All this gyro talk is making me excited, I didn't even know the controller had it but you all are so positive about it.

I find it much easier to react to a situation where I need to aim fast with gyro, than with analogue sticks. You don't really get time to think, and physically moving your hands comes more naturally. It feels easier to be precise as well.

datamage

I find it much easier to react to a situation where I need to aim fast with gyro, than with analogue sticks. You don't really get time to think, and physically moving your hands comes more naturally. It feels easier to be precise as well.

This exactly. Gyro mode was a game changer for me.

Nyoro SF

By the way I apparently figured out how the Turbo function works for Ys Origin; just notch that bad boy up to full blast.

Works flawlessly for Hugo now.

Top Bottom