• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Arklite

Are you exclusively using the trackpad to aim or are you using gyro as well?

I aim a lot better with the gyro than I do with the trackpad, to the point where I use the trackpad simply for turning to the general area of the enemy and do all the aiming with the gyro, not just fine tuning like most seem to do. I'm thinking of disabling the gyro some times to practice without it. I feel I'm using it as a crutch and not actually learning how to use the controller properly.

Typing of the Dead Overkill has a House of the Dead Overkill mode built in and I like to play that with the gyro. If I set the sensitivity correctly it's almost as good as playing with the Wii remote but admittedly less comfortable since it's two hands instead of one.

Yeah I'm avoiding gyro precisely for the reason you mentioned of really learning to use the pad. I'm reminded of the years back when I was learning to use sticks and my aim was all over the place. Only thing now is that I feel like it's more than just practice that I need. The software itself also feels like it needs to mature, and some of the ergonomics need tweaking.

I've been trying to avoid using the left stick for movement and going full dual pads. It works well, smooth and responsive, but in faster games like UT it can feel like I'm on ice for now. I don't know where things will go in the future with other controller makers adopting haptic touch pads, but rear grip buttons are likely here to stay.

KScorp

Does anyone else have issues with the controller randomly using the wrong configuration? I play Rocket League with the controller, and occasionally (most often in the menus) the analog stick stops working, and the bindings for all the other keys change to something else. It seems like it reverts to the Desktop configuration for some reason.

Fixing it usually requires disconnecting and reconnecting the usb.

viveks86

Yikes, there's no way to revert I assume?

Do you have Steam set to download beta client updates by any chance? I started not being able to launch The Talos Principle, L4D2, and CSGO in BPM today even though they worked when launched in regular Steam. I opted out of the beta update on a whim and everything works fine now for me.

Yeah the last beta update screwed me over. Are you saying opting out will revert?

But I like the beta updates! Decisions... :(

PnCIa

After some hours with this controller i tried to use my 360 pad in MGSV again...just for fun to see what it feels like.
The mouse joystick mode is not as good as real mouse emulation, but god damnit do analoge sticks suck in comparison. I am so glad i bought this thing.

Dumb question. How do I get the steam controller to work with games that have launchers.

Seems like they work 1/2 the time.

This post is a bit vague, so I'll try to cover all corners.

I typically make sure I have mouse and left click bound when I'm playing something with a launcher. Works fine for me with Minecraft. If you don't need a mouse in-game, maybe set up mode shifting? If you need to type something in, though, I can see how that would be a problem.

In cases where the game with a launcher is modded, I usually try to replace the target launcher with whatever tool I'm using to modify the game, just so the game is booted immediately. With New Vegas, I renamed the original New Vegas Launcher, and renamed the 4GB allocation program that I use to take its place.

Also, if the issue is that you can't map keys from the launcher, remember that you can set your binds before launching a game. There should be two tabs when you select something to play, the latter should have "Configure Controller" in there somewhere.

Updated version of Steam Controller Config Downloader:

https://github.com/nikop/SteamContro...ases/tag/1.0.2

Just what I was looking for! Can you upload configs, or is it a preset list curated by the developer?

deadfolk

I wasn't happy with any of the available Fallout 4 configs (that I tried), so I decided to take the time and make my own. I wanted to use mouse mode for aiming as I did not find mouse/joystick mode to be too great in this game.

I'm pretty happy with my setup even when using the Pip-Boy.

I tried sticking with the standard gamepad layout, for the most part.

Here's my current config, open to suggestions as some things can probably be made better.

Left Trigger (soft pull/full press) = Aim / Hold breath
Left Bumper = VATS
Right Trigger = Shoot
Right Bumper = Bash/Grenade

D-Pad = Click to bring up Favorites, up/dn/left/right select Favorite. (Set to touch mode)
Analog stick = Movement (WASD)
Back/Menu = Third person mode / (Hold) for Workshop menu
Start = Menu
Right Pad = Mouse mode for aiming, (click) crouches, tap and hold for gyro.

X = Reload
Y = Jump
A = Use
B = Pip-Boy

Left grip = Sprint
Right grip = Modifier (to be used while in Pip-Boy)

While in Pip-Boy- (analog stick can move you through the menus and sub-menus)

D-Pad = tapping Up/Dn navigates through items in list (while holding Right grip)
Analog stick up = Add to favorites (while holding Right grip)
Analog stick dn = Drop (while holding Right grip)
Analog stick left = Inspect (while holding Right grip)
Analog stick right = Sort (while holding Right grip)
B = Level up/Perks List (while holding Right grip)

Lastly, when browsing items to loot, I use the right-grip modifier, and the right pad becomes a scroll wheel to scroll through the items. (When looting from a dead corpse, for example.)

I was originally playing with a KBM and wanted to migrate over to the Steam controller, so I forced myself to come up with a config.This started as a, let me make sure I have access to everything while using the controller, and it came out well for me. I'm still looking to improve upon it however.

Very similar to mine, but I used a touch menu on left pad/right grip for the functions you have on analog/right grip. I think I like yours better.

Oddly enough, I could not get the right pad to work as a mouse wheel like you did. Works in other games for me.

terrible

Banned
Yeah the last beta update screwed me over. Are you saying opting out will revert?

But I like the beta updates! Decisions... :(

Yeah as soon as you opt out Steam will update to the non beta version. You can always opt in later to see if it's fixed. That's what I'm going to do. You can switch between the beta client and the regular really easily so it's no big deal imo.

Nete

Dumb question. How do I get the steam controller to work with games that have launchers.

Seems like they work 1/2 the time.

It entirely depends on what game is.

For instance, some Blizzard games can be linked directly (Starcraft 2 using the SC2Switcher_x64.exe), while with others like Hearthstone you must deal with simple scripts. Origin games need some little work if you don't want to deal with Origin itself each time. Games like the original Binding of Isaac just use the desktop config, so you can create a profile for them. And so on.

Nzyme32

For whatever reason in the new beta client update, all native Steam Controller games crash, either upon opening, loading or if you start the game without the Steam Controller, they will crash as soon as you turn it on.

Valve please

Finally caved for Battlefront, and I'm definitely having a better time with the Steam controller than I was in the beta with the Xbox controller. Still mid to low on the scoreboard, but I feel more confident in taking shots with gyro at my side.

I was surprised at how simple it was to set with a non steam game. I've only tested mouse on the right pad - don't imagine I'd need a reason to even text mouse joystick in this one.

Exuro

So can you not use the controller with a ds4 running ds4windows? Whenever I turn on the steam controller it breaks the ds4(input stops working). Really annoying as I want to play some couch coop and am forced to not use the steam controller.

Foxyone

I haven't tried CS with the new beta update, but hopefully I don't have any issues because I'm trying to get gameplay for a new video. Every good game I've had recently has had some issue though where it records older gameplay, but not up to what I just finished playing. I lost a game of Dust II that I nearly won whilst using the controller and only an AWP; the gyro seems to give it some potential, but I was never very good with gyro / motion controls.

I think I'm also finding in a game like Deus Ex: HR that the gyro is helping out nicely by making pistol headshots fairly easy (on predictable AI targets). I think in some respects the aiming may have a slight advantage over my basic mouse because of the gyro.

It's kinda weird, but I feel like after struggling with new controls in a game for a while and taking a break, I come back to the game more capable than before. It seemed to happen in CS and Deus Ex for me.

hokey1

For whatever reason in the new beta client update, all native Steam Controller games crash, either upon opening, loading or if you start the game without the Steam Controller, they will crash as soon as you turn it on.

Valve please

Can confirm. Same issue here. Portal 2. Everytime.

Nabs

New Beta update:

Steam Controller

• Fixed a client crash when launching games that have native integration with the controller
  • Fixed HUD visualization for large Mouse Region modes
  • Added touch and outer edge bindings for Mouse Region modes
  • Added outer edge radius HUD visualization for Mouse Region modes
  • Fixed edge inversion not working properly outside of D-pad modes
  • Increased outer edge radius configuration range to allow smaller radii
  • Clarified Mouse Region scale settings names
  • Fixed HUD visualization of completely flat Mouse Regions

In-Home Streaming
  • Fixed an issue in the previous update causing unexpected frame loss, especially in D3D11 games

It only cuts off if you touch / mess with one of the pads during that sequence. No idea why it only does it for that. I actually do it immediately to skip the sequence entirely

Nah that's not what's happening. I just noticed that it only happens if BPM is started when Steam's already up and running in desktop mode. When you launch Steam straight into BPM there's no cut off.

Anyway, I'll stop shitting the thread up with this.

Nzyme32

Not yet, I'm still tinkering around key bindings. Thinking of doing some modeshifting to allow easy dialog selection via the numbad.

The highest rated user profile is a good starting point, but make sure you change the joystick mode to analog emulation. If you don't do this, the joystick only reacts to up, left, down and right without blending any two inputs together if you push the stick diagonally.

I'm not happy with the KOTOR bindings thus far so have also started working on my own. The top rated is broken as the guy has chose button pad bound to the stick for movement, when it should be dpad bound to stick sobyou can overlap movements properly and invert the outer ring to walk. "Analogue emulation" doesn't work well at all with KOTOR, so I'm assuming you are confusing the term and just mean using the stick for movement?

I've got the mouse region mode set to the lower area with all the item selections stuff when you mode shift the right pad. Works a treat when you understand the positions are absolute. Just working on the left pad which I'm thinking of setting as a touch menu, and also modes shift to another mouse region at the bottom left, for both character and chat selection.

viveks86

New Beta update:

Steam Controller

• Fixed a client crash when launching games that have native integration with the controller
  • Fixed HUD visualization for large Mouse Region modes
  • Added touch and outer edge bindings for Mouse Region modes
  • Added outer edge radius HUD visualization for Mouse Region modes
  • Fixed edge inversion not working properly outside of D-pad modes
  • Increased outer edge radius configuration range to allow smaller radii
  • Clarified Mouse Region scale settings names
  • Fixed HUD visualization of completely flat Mouse Regions

In-Home Streaming
  • Fixed an issue in the previous update causing unexpected frame loss, especially in D3D11 games

This fixed my crash issue with The Talos Principle. Valve coders are like

typing.gif

Picked one of these up yesterday. Wow. I can see this thing breathing new life into all my old favorites. It works like a dream, even if I've had to do some massive tweaking with the few games I have tried it with. I just spent a few hours testing and tweaking a custom configuration for Age of Empires 2. It makes use of the new mouse region feature along with the right grip for selecting building and military actions, as well as the left touchpad and grip for selecting and creating control groups. I just published it on steam if anyone is interested. It is called Strategic Bindings with Mouse Region Menu.

Nzyme32

So I think I've got the KOTOR bindings as good as I can. I published them but they are not showing up yet; they probably will show up in an hour or so.

xpFjjTp.png

Left and right grips are the new "mouse regions". The mouse regions I set up look something like this mock-up, where the blue circles are the left and right touchpads.
1coY2o0.jpg

• Right grip makes a mouse region in the bottom right of the screen, exactly over the item pane of 4 buttons, so you can cycle through those easily clicking the right pad to left click.
  • Left grip makes a mouse region at the bottom left of the screen, shaped to cover the character pane, as well as for quick control of text options / chat. (This just one of the options you can use if you prefer it.

The left pad is a touch menu, that looks like this:
C6QQ6Lo.png

Unfortunately there is no cycle action key for circumstances where there are more than one action to a slot, so that can only be done with the mouse. This is easy for items (using the right mouse region), but objects and combat actions have to use the mouse, after which point the visible action can be chosen with the following.

• 1 - left action (when objects / people have multiple actions or in combat)
  • 2 - middle action (when objects / people have multiple actions or in combat)
  • 3 - right action (when objects / people have multiple actions or in combat)
  • 4 - friendly power / force action
  • 5 - health item
  • 6 - non-health item
  • 7 - activate mine / explosive
  • v - solo mode
  • F4 - Quick Save
  • g - activate stealth
  • tab - cycle leader (also bound to Y)
  • F5 - Quick Load

The rest of the controls are:
  • A - Default Action (chat / open / activate when out of combat - normal attack in combat)
  • B - Clear last queued attack
  • X - Flourish
  • Y - Change Character / Leader
  • LB - Previous target / object / tab
  • RB - Next target / object / tab
  • RT - left click naturally
  • LT is right click / Look around when held (when not held the right pad is the mouse cursor.)
  • Back - Map
  • Start - Menu

I love this set up after about a couple of minutes of understanding it, and most importantly uses the default control settings of the game. I tried other options and they just didn't work, or demand holding several buttons at once. The only gripe is if you want to cycle multiple attack options, you have to use the right pad as a mouse to do it, at which point the touch menu will do the visible action for each slot by default. That's pretty much as good as the game can get for now.

Let me know what you guys think if you give it a go

So does mouse region basically lock the trackpad to a certain segment of the screen? That's kind of neat. I hope one day, they add a toggle option to mode shifting. Having to press a button once to activate the area my cursor covers would be a lot more comfortable than having to hold it down.

Nzyme32

So does mouse region basically lock the trackpad to a certain segment of the screen? That's kind of neat. I hope one day, they add a toggle option to mode shifting. Having to press a button once to activate the area my cursor covers would be a lot more comfortable than having to hold it down.

If you use the "controller hud" function it will show you what is happening on screen. It is indeed locking the mouse to a certain region, which is a mapping of the trackpad. You can elongate it, make it bigger, smaller and put it anywhere, but it means that the positions you touch on the trackpad are absolute, so you can memorise the positions eventually.

As an example from what I said a few posts back, this is a mock up of what my left and right mouse regions look like in KOTOR - the blue circles representing the area of the left and right touchpads (there is a bug in 4:3 resolutions, so I can't show a screenshot)

1coY2o0.jpg

Veal

Would anyone else be willing to try to replicate a potential bug with mouse regions I'm finding with dota2? Basically make the left pad a region and bind it to mode shift on a trigger without another action bound. The cursor will snap to the region when you squeeze the trigger, not when you touch the left pad, making aiming a pain since your cursor is jumping all over the screen. I don't think that's the intended behaviour, though I'll admit my config is a bit ambitious and might need to be pared down to reality somewhat.

dsk1210

When playing fallout 4 I have noticed if I hold the LG button and press start, it minimises fallout? Anyone else notice this?

Gruso

When playing fallout 4 I have noticed if I hold the LG button and press start, it minimises fallout? Anyone else notice this?
I've had this happen in a few games, but haven't noticed any commonality in button presses. I had put it down to beta quirks.

dsk1210

I've had this happen in a few games, but haven't noticed any commonality in button presses. I had put it down to beta quirks.

I will need to check if it is happening with other games, fallout 4 is the first I have noticed it in. I don't have a 2nd binding set for the start button. So it may be a bug with the controller.

dreamfall

Does anyone have a good config for GTA V? The recommended dev configuration just is horrible for me on free aim. Even on partial aim assist, the right touch pad just doesn't work for camera control even with mouse/joystick. I don't know what to use for it- any suggestions?

Bl@de

So...

The controller has been out for some time now. My local Gamestop has them lying around. I cancelled my initial preorder just to wait for user impressions.

I mostly play RPGs (cRPGs like Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity and aRPGs like Dark Souls, Risen, Witcher etc.) and sometimes action/horror (Resident Evil, Mad Max, Bioshock Infinite).

Right now I mostly play with KB+M, but I like my Xbox 360 controller for action/horror or aRPGs. cRPGs like Pillars of Eternity are mouse games. No interest in any controller here (mostly because of the text heavy UI and distance to my TV, but also because of the controls).

Now I'm here to ask if the controller is worth it? Build quality, config tool, etc. - All good or all meh? Worth the 54,99€?

EDIT: Additional question. Did they patch in usability without Big Picture mode? That would be very good.

coopolon

Is it possible to have two mode shifts for something? I.e. I want to have face buttons do one thing normally, do another thing when right grip pressed, and a third thing when left grip is pressed. I can't figure out how to add the third mode though.

Unai

Is it possible to have two mode shifts for something? I.e. I want to have face buttons do one thing normally, do another thing when right grip pressed, and a third thing when left grip is pressed. I can't figure out how to add the third mode though.

It's not possible.

Tool to download controller configurations for use with non-steam versions of games.

Interesting.

Jams775

So...

The controller has been out for some time now. My local Gamestop has them lying around. I cancelled my initial preorder just to wait for user impressions.

I mostly play RPGs (cRPGs like Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity and aRPGs like Dark Souls, Risen, Witcher etc.) and sometimes action/horror (Resident Evil, Mad Max, Bioshock Infinite).

Right now I mostly play with KB+M, but I like my Xbox 360 controller for action/horror or aRPGs. cRPGs like Pillars of Eternity are mouse games. No interest in any controller here (mostly because of the text heavy UI and distance to my TV, but also because of the controls).

Now I'm here to ask if the controller is worth it? Build quality, config tool, etc. - All good or all meh? Worth the 54,99€?

EDIT: Additional question. Did they patch in usability without Big Picture mode? That would be very good.

I think I've only had mine for about a week and I really like it. I actually wanted to get it as a replacement to my wired 360 pad and logitech f710 wireless pad (triggers are stiff af on that). I usually don't mind having to set up the controls the way I want and it feels like setup gets faster every time as I get used to the routine. Sometimes when I don't feel like configuring anything I'll just load up one of the already made ones either from the official settings, community or a template. To me, the controller feels a lot better than people give it credit for. It doesn't feel anywhere near cheap at all and all of the triggers, buttons, etc. feel great. It seems like they're still working out the kinks in the firmware and it'd be nice to have an ability to configure the controller when out of steam, but launching into big picture hasn't bothered me in the slightest. Oh yeah, and the pads don't even phase me like I thought they would. Using the left one as a D-pad for the RPG games I've been playing has been fine. The right pad, depending on how it's set up takes a little getting used to, but I was getting head shots in Fallout 4 after like 45 mins of playing and Fallout 4 was a bit rough to configure because it disables the mouse if it detects a game pad. The 1:1 mouse option + acceleration set to low and track pad mode off is the best way to use it IMO and moving a mouse cursor in a game feels very comfortable.

Basically it's succeeded in becoming my number 1 go to controller for my PC (which by the way I'm playing on a monitor and desk). If it broke in the future, I'd replace it with the same controller. I might even consider getting a second at some point in the future for multiplayer.

Foxyone

What do you guys think of playing an RPG like Skyrim with the SC and with a 360 pad? Which do you prefer? I had forgotten how slow it was to turn around with a normal controller while keeping my aim accurate.

Unai

What do you guys think of playing an RPG like Skyrim with the SC and with a 360 pad? Which do you prefer? I had forgotten how slow it was to turn around with a normal controller while keeping my aim accurate.

I haven't played Skyrim with it yet, but since I played Fallout 4, I would say it's better that a 360 pad if you are an archer. Hell, I guess even picking items on the flor would probably be better with the Steam Controller.

Rich!

I have one question

and if this question is answered to my considerable standards....I shall buy a Steam controller from GAME tomorrow.

How well does this thing work with Return to Castle Wolfenstein?

kinn

Wow. I had no idea that you can now finally choose what the default drive\folder is for installing games. No more having to exit bpm to install games.

hepburn3d

Just bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R in the sale and played it with a custom config. Hnnnnng it's amazing :) game is still amazing and with a controller it's fantastic. The top configs aren't great. Valve need to sort out voting soon. The top used ones tend to be garbage now bi have a few top ones that are awful but get used and it's annoying.

Unai

For some reason I can't save my binding of Fallout 4.

Edit: I had edited my settings in offline mode because my ISP is shit and couldn't connect in the last couple of days and could not save. Now that I'm online my settings are gone and I have to start from scratch. Oh well, at least it's going to be faster now.

Valve please

no need to worry it will be patched in about 33 seconds.

Valve patches SOO fast on the beta channel.

Nabs

no need to worry it will be patched in about 33 seconds.

Valve patches SOO fast on the beta channel.

Heh. It's already been patched.

I have one question

and if this question is answered to my considerable standards....I shall buy a Steam controller from GAME tomorrow.

How well does this thing work with Return to Castle Wolfenstein?

I think it works pretty well. I took the top community binding and tweaked a few things. I added gyro aim so I can get those headshots from distance, and I also added gyro lean because why not. I added Jump and Kick to the back paddles. Left trigger soft pull is now crouch, and hard pull is alt weapon.

Top Bottom