• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Nzyme32

Wow, FINALLY they fixed the left trackpad not working while using the left stick. I use it all the time in games like Dark Souls etc. How else are you going to switch items while running? Actually, someone else solved it by binding move forward to a grip button, but that is obviously not ideal.

I think one solution was to do a 5 button dpad mode to switch into, using the inverse of the outer ring binding so you can have the dpad on the outer half and central click can be targeting.

JMTHEFOX

It supports 16 simultaneous controllers ... apparently.

Right now, there is no multiple-controller support in any form, at least from what I have read here and on Reddit.

16 controllers? My room would be so crowded, it will be ridiculous! Kudos regardless.

The dongle supports 4 Steam Controllers at once, but the Xbox One Controller dongle supports 8 at once - then again, you get a dongle with every Steam Controller and have to pay for the Xbox One's. It's really up to how much you like the controllers. Personally, there is just so much you can do with the Steam Controller. The learning curve varies from person to person and there are a few things I'm not so keen on with the Steam Controller, but it has been absolutely worthwhile - even more so with the updates released all last month. It's now my main controller. If you are interested in all the extra features you get with a Steam Controller, the ability to play a whole bunch of games that are impossible to play reasonably with a traditional controller and are happy to have to tinker with it a bit to get things the way you want for now, then it is worth at least investigating one.

Thanks for the answer. Your opinion made me want one this month!

viveks86

It's good to have options if they're harmless to implement even if hard to actually use. And normally I'd point out holding it claw style so you could change weapons or whatever while moving around, but the nature of that pad probably makes it harder than a PS D-Pad.

Also keep in mind that a lot of the weirder stuff can help people with physical disabilities, who use controllers in non-traditional ways.

Agreed :)

Nabs

I think one solution was to do a 5 button dpad mode to switch into, using the inverse of the outer ring binding so you can have the dpad on the outer half and central click can be targeting.

It works beautifully. I use that with the shift mode being right pad click.

hepburn3d

Very sad to see my Steam link is now a bug ridden mess. None of my configs work through it, the controller isn't recognised and 1 minute into any game and the sound cuts out. If I restart or re-connect the sound still cuts out after a minute :( I know Valve will fix this and it's a beta but I was looking forward to some elite in bed.

Jinkies

Very sad to see my Steam link is now a bug ridden mess. None of my configs work through it, the controller isn't recognised and 1 minute into any game and the sound cuts out. If I restart or re-connect the sound still cuts out after a minute :( I know Valve will fix this and it's a beta but I was looking forward to some elite in bed.

Opting out of beta should do the trick, no?

I have opted out as of earlier this week.

MNC

I lost my previously config for Siege too, had to roll back to the stable client, this sucks so much.

Is there no way to see all community bindings in the beta? Because Steam literally says 'there are no community bindings for the game'

Unai

Wow, FINALLY they fixed the left trackpad not working while using the left stick. I use it all the time in games like Dark Souls etc. How else are you going to switch items while running? Actually, someone else solved it by binding move forward to a grip button, but that is obviously not ideal.

It works beautifully. I use that with the shift mode being right pad click.

I did the same outer ring binding thing to play Dark Souls and it works amazingly well.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Do you have any Gamestops nearby? The ones around me seem to be in stock.
There's one not too far from me. I tend to stay away from GS, though. If Amazon doesn't have any in stock next week I might just go pick one up at GS anyway.

Foxyone

Has anyone tried this new way of using the controller to work in the task manager and UAC popups:https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamContr..._administration_mode_no_compatibility_popups/

Apparently it limits the UAC workaround to just Steam so it / the controller isn't locked out of the task manager / popups, whilst also limiting the security risk. Haven't been at my pc to try it, but I'm hopeful yet skeptical about it due to the other workaround causing security risks. Would this one likely be a bad idea to use too?

Gruso

Just trying to get my head around the new config management system. Previously, whichever config I was using would be named at the top of the screen while I was in controller settings. After migrating to the new system, I loaded up one of my configs for GTI Racing (let's call it Herbie). The profile loads up and works fine, but when I bring up settings, it's showing "Controller Configuration" at the top of the screen instead of "Herbie".

The impression I get is that I'm not directly editing the Herbie config, but a "live" copy of its settings under a generic name. And the Export option gives me the impression that my only save option is to save it back out as a different name (with default description text to boot.) I feel this would all be more intuitive if:

- The Herbie name was displayed after loading it
- If any changes were made, the name would then display as Herbie (unsaved) or just Herbie*
- Instead of an Export option, there was Save and Save As

Does this make sense to others? Or am I experiencing something outside the norm?

Nabs

Yeah, it's really confusing. I used to be able to update configs (public and private), but now it's basically just saving new ones. I think I'm going to stick with stable until that's all settled.

Gruso

Glad it's not just me missing something.

On further thought, Save and Save-As wouldn't be a complete solution, as you need to distinguish between save locations (onboard / export to PC), and whether it's public or private. That does make for a bit of a matrix of options, and I know they need to keep it slick. But, every gamer and their dog ought to know the ins and outs of saving a document - so exposing the options would make it more intuitive.

Nabs

New Update:

Steam Controller
  • Improved responsiveness and reliability of changing bindings or settings during gameplay
  • Fixed several instances of legacy local bindings not loading
  • Fixed changing bindings or settings during gameplay in Guest mode
  • Tagged legacy local bindings in configuration browser; these have now been migrated and can be deleted if migration was successful
  • Disabled Export dialog when in Guest mode

Veal

I have noticed that if I use a touch menu in any game, my framerate drops down to 30 and does not go back up after the touch menu is gone.

What i did was lower bpm's resolution down to 720p. It may not look as nice but it for sure doesnt bog my system down as heavily.

Gruso

Just trying to get my head around the new config management system. Previously, whichever config I was using would be named at the top of the screen while I was in controller settings. After migrating to the new system, I loaded up one of my configs for GTI Racing (let's call it Herbie). The profile loads up and works fine, but when I bring up settings, it's showing "Controller Configuration" at the top of the screen instead of "Herbie".
This part seems to be solved for me now - profile names are displaying correctly. Not sure if the last update did that, or it's just a case of these old games being idiosyncratic with BPM (which they can be... GTR2 has also given me the odd headache).

On the update, the legacy profile tagging is handy. Makes cleaning up junk profiles nice and fast.

Has anyone tried this new way of using the controller to work in the task manager and UAC popups:https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamContr..._administration_mode_no_compatibility_popups/

Apparently it limits the UAC workaround to just Steam so it / the controller isn't locked out of the task manager / popups, whilst also limiting the security risk. Haven't been at my pc to try it, but I'm hopeful yet skeptical about it due to the other workaround causing security risks. Would this one likely be a bad idea to use too?
I wasn't having any UAC or Task Manager dramas (as in, one is disabled and the other hasn't been needed thus far) but I was getting the annoying compatibility mode popup when launching BPM (because I had Steam running as admin via shortcut properties). This method seems to have solved that! As usual I also added -silent to launch parameters ("arguments" field in his 5th picture), because I like Steam to start in the tray.

I don't see it as any more of a security risk than running Steam as admin via other methods. The Steam client itself would have to be compromised for that to be a concern, and I've never heard of that happening.

hepburn3d

Tried it just now. Works perfectly. I really respect people who make the time to post stuff like this. Thanks for linking to it to.

http://m.imgur.com/a/KBlFL

Edit: scratch that it's not working :( only for team speak. Still doesn't work when uac comes up

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I've asked this before but just wanted a bit more feedback on it.

How is the Steam Controller for Elite Dangerous?

I would be playing from my couch, not using KB or Mouse at all. Is this enjoyable or even doable with the Steam controller?

ru55lee

Neo Member

I would be playing from my couch, not using KB or Mouse at all. Is this enjoyable or even doable with the Steam controller?

Was using it for a while and pretty much has the exact same input commands as an Xbox controller. There are other users presets to try out and maybe you can find one to your liking?

Raytow

Is there no way to see all community bindings in the beta? Because Steam literally says 'there are no community bindings for the game'
Oh? yeah I can see community bindings, what I cannot see was my old one that I made for the game, its weird, getting out of beta restored it, maybe it works for you too?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Was using it for a while and pretty much has the exact same input commands as an Xbox controller. There are other users presets to try out and maybe you can find one to your liking?

I guess what I mean is does the touchpad/keyboard features on the Steam controller allow you to play games that would ordinarily have you switching to Xbox Controller then using a mouse and keyboard for certain things like Ui?

Or is the whole game completely game pad/steam controller friendly?

hepburn3d

I also want to know the answer to this. I use a joystick but I'd be keen for something couch friendly.

It's perfect! I use the back grips for sideways movement so never need to get off the couch. If you want to go full awesome mode get voice attack as well. So lovely talking commands from the couch.

I use advance controls 1

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm unable to load or save any configs while the controller is wirelessly connected. It will only load or save configs when it it's wired to my pc. That's super frustrating.

I've think my right trackpad may have an issue. Is there a way to check calibration or have it recalibrate?

In Fallout 4, I have the right trackpad set as mouse-like joystick (for camera). The edge is set for persistent movement, as with a regular joystick. When I put my finger on the right, top, bottom sections, the screen moves at the same rate. When on the left, out seems to mouse roughly half as fast. Swiping my finger left and right over and over ends up with me spinning in a circle to the right.

The right trackpad looked like it was buffed or filed a little, but I figured it was just cosmetic. I thought it may also be a gyro setting, but I disabled it and it seems the same.

Anyone else experienced something similar? If the controller truly is faulty, that's probably the last straw for me...

hepburn3d

I've think my right trackpad may have an issue. Is there a way to check calibration or have it recalibrate?

In Fallout 4, I have the right trackpad set as mouse-like joystick (for camera). The edge is set for persistent movement, as with a regular joystick. When I put my finger on the right, top, bottom sections, the screen moves at the same rate. When on the left, out seems to mouse roughly half as fast. Swiping my finger left and right over and over ends up with me spinning in a circle to the right.

The right trackpad looked like it was buffed or filed a little, but I figured it was just cosmetic. I thought it may also be a gyro setting, but I disabled it and it seems the same.

Anyone else experienced something similar? If the controller truly is faulty, that's probably the last straw for me...

My right pad is buggy as well at the moment. So is my wife's. I'm going to wager it's a software bug. I can't change bindings in game in GTA V any more. Just messes up the controller. Bugs everywhere at the moment :(

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I just can not get my head to understand how to use gyro for fine aiming with mouse on the right pad. Are there specific settings for a new person that would help? Please help.

Do any games have a nice set up I can look at to see how this is done?

zbarron

I just can not get my head to understand how to use gyro for fine aiming with mouse on the right pad. Are there specific settings for a new person that would help? Please help.

I used to before the latest beta. Before any of that though, how are you holding your controller? It works best when the face buttons are facing the ceiling. Imagine it has an IR camera like the Wii remote between the L and R triggers and you are pointing the top of the controller at your screen.

Anyone has an issue where you try to edit a config it crashes steam and freezes the game? Ive had this issue since like forever with fallout 4. Its the only game that has this issue, its weird cause before i could edit it all i want but like about after a week when i decided to upload my config i cant edit it anymore or even erase it and jusr start a new config cause itll crash steam. I pointed my issue out in the steam controller community but my post was pretty much ignored

How about setting it up so that gyro only activates when aiming ? Or holding a specific button?

Or are you referring to having the settings fine-tuned so that aiming with the gyro isn't all wonky?

Azax

So where can I look how many percent I have left on the batteries? Seems like they removed it after the latest updates...

I found what should be considered a bug in the way the software handles the same input being triggered by multiple buttons. The controller sends a "key up" message when one of the buttons is released, which I don't think it should do. The "key up" should only be sent when every button mapped to that key has been released.

Example scenario: Map Left Grip to Down Arrow in a platformer. This allows you to crouch by holding the grip. This would make actions where you have to hold down and left/right (crawling) much more reliable. With the way it's handled right now, though, tapping down on the analog stick will cause the Down Arrow key to be released, even if you are still holding the grip.

I was trying to do this in Metal Slug, so I could crawl under those electric barriers without worrying about accidentally standing up, but it actually made it harder. To do what I want, I would have to remove the Down Arrow key from the analog stick, but then I wouldn't be able to navigate the menus and it would take some time to get used to using the grip to crouch to avoid gunfire.

My right pad is buggy as well at the moment. So is my wife's. I'm going to wager it's a software bug. I can't change bindings in game in GTA V any more. Just messes up the controller. Bugs everywhere at the moment :(
Well, that's comforting I suppose! Either it is a software bug, or there are huge quality issues.

I'm almost certain it's software, but wish I knew what exactly. Doesn't explain the cosmetic issue with the trackpad, but I can ignore it.

I've had the controller since the first day, and I still have this issue where no matter which configuration profile I choose, it sticks with whatever it was until I restart Steam. The software on this thing is really starting to piss me off.

Azax

I've had the controller since the first day, and I still have this issue where no matter which configuration profile I choose, it sticks with whatever it was until I restart Steam. The software on this thing is really starting to piss me off.

Are you using beta updates?

ibu

Silly question but what are the best batteries to get? Are the Amazon 2500mAh OK to get, is there a specific eneloop I should buy?

Gruso

My only real annoyance with this is when using it for HTPC control, having to wait for it to initialise again if it's powered itself off and you need to pause or seek. It would be cool if it had a low power standby mode that allowed it to work as a mouse only, for say an additional hour or two after the 'normal' auto power off. Or, if there was a way for it to work as a mouse immediately after power on, before the rest of the functions initialise.

Bl@de

So I got my Steam Controller yesterday and tried a couple of games. I have made a perfect config for Dark Souls II: SotfS. Never have to let go of the trackpad and the quick mouselook with high sensitivity is perfect. Don't even need to lock-on with that. Feels really good.

Turok/Doom64 EX are great too. It takes some time to get used to the controller but then it clicks.

But one game is just a big mess...

Fallout 4. How do you guys play this game with the Controller? Mouse-like joystick is pure crap. Even on maximum in-game sensitivity it is way too slow and the trackball feels unnatural (unlike on the mouse setting). I can't hit anything and die all the time :( The nr.1 community setting (with 4000 users) is slow and clumsy.

EDIT: Another question. How do I configure or use gyro controls? I can't see anything in the settings -.- There are so many.

Ok, just opened my new controller and can't figure out how to make it work for non-steam games. I created a custom configuration but whenever I start the game the controller keeps the base OS level setup, it doesn't switch over to the game specific config...

Trying to play Dragon Age II, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nabs

So I got my Steam Controller yesterday and tried a couple of games. I have made a perfect config for Dark Souls II: SotfS. Never have to let go of the trackpad and the quick mouselook with high sensitivity is perfect. Don't even need to lock-on with that. Feels really good.

Turok/Doom64 EX are great too. It takes some time to get used to the controller but then it clicks.

But one game is just a big mess...

Fallout 4. How do you guys play this game with the Controller? Mouse-like joystick is pure crap. Even on maximum in-game sensitivity it is way too slow and the trackball feels unnatural (unlike on the mouse setting). I can't hit anything and die all the time :( The nr.1 community setting (with 4000 users) is slow and clumsy.

EDIT: Another question. How do I configure or use gyro controls? I can't see anything in the settings -.- There are so many.

Fallout 4: You need to edit some ini to increase in-game sensitivity. I think there are posts in here with more info. I recommend testing it at various speeds, starting at something like 2-2.5 and moving your way up.

Gyro: Click on the button that's directly under the picture of the controller. A better label wouldn't hurt.

Ok, just opened my new controller and can't figure out how to make it work for non-steam games. I created a custom configuration but whenever I start the game the controller keeps the base OS level setup, it doesn't switch over to the game specific config...

Trying to play Dragon Age II, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, didn't mean to leave your post on the other page. I don't have the game downloaded, but does the Steam overlay work while in game? I'd recommend disabling the Origin overlay, then restart Origin and give it another go.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

My patience level with the controller is waning too. I'm having similar issues in which no matter what config is selected, it will not load. If I alter the controller settings, they cannot be saved and tend to revert to the default shortly after. The only alleviation I've found so far is to have the controller plugged in directly at my pc.

Thankfully when I plug in my wireless xbox one controller, it works without a fault.

I go back and forth depending on how fucked up the beta or the stable is. After today's annoyance I went back to stable and it nice to get the community profiles again.

I've been using just the beta so far. I'll try switching and see if it improves anything.

Edit: For now, switching to the stable drivers fixed the issues. Woohoo!

Blizzard

Banned
I've been using just the beta so far. I'll try switching and see if it improves anything.

Edit: For now, switching to the stable drivers fixed the issues. Woohoo!
Just a heads up, the beta seems to have issues like this occasionally. If you don't want to deal with Valve breaking things every couple of weeks, stable is probably better. :p

Top Bottom