• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Can the right pad be set so that it slowly moves the camera in the direction you are touching without swiping in that direction? I'd like to mimic a right stick for MGS.
Go to the advanced mouse settings and turn Edge Spin Radius down to nothing (turns the whole pad into the edge), and adjust the Edge Spin Speed.

kinn

thanks, i really appreciate it

also one last question - it's normal for the bottom edge of the right trackpad to be a dead zone in-game when set to mouse or mouse joystick? it registers fully on the diagnostic screen and works normally in joystick camera/etc

Yeah, I get that also. Was worried about it but seems its not a hardware defect.

Nyoro SF

Yeah, I get that also. Was worried about it but seems its not a hardware defect.

I also have this deadzone problem on the right trackpad if I assign combination gamepad commands to it.

I have no idea how or where I report such problems though.

CaLe

Two small questions:

- Anyone else is stuck at the launch window with Borderlands 2? The one where you have to press play.

- How do you enable gyro ?

Thanks

MetalSlug

Decided to start playing through The Evil Within on the Steam Controller and it's been pretty good so far.

There also seems to be a lack of confiqs for games now. They have all disappeared for me.

Unai

Two small questions:

- Anyone else is stuck at the launch window with Borderlands 2? The one where you have to press play.

Thanks

Gyro is that circle below the controller.

Decided to start playing through The Evil Within on the Steam Controller and it's been pretty good so far.

There also seems to be a lack of confiqs for games now. They have all disappeared for me.

It's a bug in the beta. You could opt out of it for now.

Croc

Banned
Okay so both of the games I've tried to play with a Steam Controller so far haven't worked. Fallout 4 for some reason won't launch properly through my Steam Link. It always ends up not responding. Even though if I just click it on my PC it launches fine (even while still being streamed).

So I was getting frustrated trying to deal with that and get the controller config right (especially because in FO4 apparently the Steam Button doesn't do anything? So I have to quit the game completely to mess with configs and go back to my PC to start it again) so I just tried La Mulana with it. There were no community configs with it so I picked the recommended one (Gamepad with Camera controls...for whatever reason). I started up the game and it seems like both the A and B button were functioning as the same button and no other buttons did anything else. I'm not exactly sure how the controls work for that game but it didn't seem right. So then I tried switching to Keyboard and Mouse configuration, but when I select it it doesn't change anything and I still have the Gamepad with Camera Controls set. Not only that but when I press the Steam button on the controller to go mess with configs, once I go back to the game the controller doesn't work at all. It's as if I clicked outside of the window on my PC but then I can't click it back again so none of my inputs register anymore.

I'm getting super annoyed with this. I just want to play a game.

Nabs

You may want to opt out of the Steam Client Beta on your pc. People on the subreddit have been having issues with it saving and loading configs.

Croc

Banned
You may want to opt out of the Steam Client Beta on your pc. People on the subreddit have been having issues with it saving and loading configs.

I opted out of the Beta and now my Steam Link doesn't recognize that my computer has Steam running at all.

edit: n/m, it randomly started working just now. Lets see if anything else changed...

Crayon

I'm experimenting with the gyro off. My thumbs have come along way with the touchpads. I'm finding the gyro is a major boost to accuracy but not completely necessary. Several weeks along now, and the learning curve stretches on.

zbarron

Assist with it.

It is. I am doing more harm than good with it.

You can try turning it up and doing the majority of your aiming with it. Most people prefer it assisting. I like using it for 99% of my aim and use the trackpad for fast turns. I have it set to only work when I am touching the right track pad. When I am facing an enemy I stop moving my thumb and use the gyro for aiming. It feels good to me. Almost like Metroid Prime 3 where you have IR aim and if you go outside the bounding box it turns except I have my aim and I use the trackpad if I need to look behind me. It helps prevent people circle strafing me but gives me the precision that I need.

riflen

Two small questions:

Thanks

Avoid the problem with Borderlands by using the startup setting -NoLauncher.

Croc

Banned
So turns out Fallout 4 launcher just doesn't accept button inputs. That explains why the mouse pad would work but I couldn't actually click anything. I guess I could have set it so clicking the pad would be mouse left click but I just ended up disabling the launcher instead lol

I think that solves most of my issues now

Unai

So turns out Fallout 4 launcher just doesn't accept button inputs. That explains why the mouse pad would work but I couldn't actually click anything. I guess I could have set it so clicking the pad would be mouse left click but I just ended up disabling the launcher instead lol

I think that solves most of my issues now

In the launcher it uses the desktop configuration, so you cold use the right trackpad as a mouse and RT as the left click from the mouse to select the "play" option in the launcher.

derFeef

You can try turning it up and doing the majority of your aiming with it. Most people prefer it assisting. I like using it for 99% of my aim and use the trackpad for fast turns. I have it set to only work when I am touching the right track pad. When I am facing an enemy I stop moving my thumb and use the gyro for aiming. It feels good to me. Almost like Metroid Prime 3 where you have IR aim and if you go outside the bounding box it turns except I have my aim and I use the trackpad if I need to look behind me. It helps prevent people circle strafing me but gives me the precision that I need.

I guess I try that. Do you have horizontal on Yaw or Roll? Most configs have it on Yaw but Roll feels more natural to me

Anyone tried gyro with L4D2? I can't really use yaw (left/right movement) as it feels weird, and prefer to use roll. But there's no way to set that in L4D2 that I can see - there's no Advanced option in gyro. I've never felt comfortable with gyro but that seems like a good game to test with.

I really like the custom actions in that game though, seems there's a lot of promise there.

In the launcher it uses the desktop configuration, so you cold use the right trackpad as a mouse and RT as the left click from the mouse to select the "play" option in the launcher.
This is what I do. However, once at the in-game menu, Fallout 4 sometimes just ignores button presses. I found if I restart my PC it's fine after. No idea what causes it.

Unai

This is what I do. However, once at the in-game menu, Fallout 4 sometimes just ignores button presses. I found if I restart my PC it's fine after. No idea what causes it.

Maybe the controller settings in game were turned off for some reason? Fallout 4 has a setting where you tell if you are using a gamepad. Maybe the game is kicking in the keyboard and mouse settings before the controller profile loads, so you'd have to deal with it manually. Just a guess, though.

zbarron

I guess I try that. Do you have horizontal on Yaw or Roll? Most configs have it on Yaw but Roll feels more natural to me
I'm rocking Yaw. I point the top of the controller where the micro usb port is at the TV like it's the camera in the Wiimote. I tried roll but for some reason left and right were reversed. Give them both a try and see if any way feels comfortable for you. If none work out feel free to switch to pure trackpad. It's customizable because everyone is different.

Anyone tried gyro with L4D2? I can't really use yaw (left/right movement) as it feels weird, and prefer to use roll. But there's no way to set that in L4D2 that I can see - there's no Advanced option in gyro. I've never felt comfortable with gyro but that seems like a good game to test with.

When in the Gyro settings menu in L4D2 press start to go to legacy settings. From there go to advanced settings in the bottom right. It's there.

Just got the Steam controller and I really like how it feels so far. I tried playing Black Mesa with it, but I can't seem to get a good balance on aiming for it. I keep dying because I can't kill the dudes fast enough because I am aiming all over the place. Definitely gonna take some getting used to. Downwell and Turok work really well with it though.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Thought about getting one of these mainly for the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games. Anyone have any experience using the controller on those games?

terrible

Banned
I can't use my controller to play CSGO anymore and I'm not even in the beta. This really is a mess right now. I love the controller but the software sucks.

kinn

I also have this deadzone problem on the right trackpad if I assign combination gamepad commands to it.

I have no idea how or where I report such problems though.

I would try the controller test\calibration first to see if its like that with other modes. If it is a hardware defect then email Steam support. Good luck with that as they can be a little slow in replying.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. If you think you can handle them on a trackpad or better yet a trackball, you'll be fine here. Perhaps pausing a little more often during the more hectic battles later on. These games don't need a ton of binds and can be played fine with just a mouse so they work pretty well here.

Bind pause to anything but the face buttons. I like having quicksave/load both bound as well. Then the less pressing basics like inventory and spellbooks bound to face buttons.

Having a full party of six means you'll be clicking portraits rather than hotkeys... Unless you can get all six portraits bound. Four on the left pad, and two elsewhere? I was fine clicking portraits.

Larger text mods might be needed if you're on a TV though. Pretty painless to install.

Ha you know I didn't even think about clicking portraits for some reason. But it's been awhile since I've played these. Still this doesn't sound too bad so I'll probably give a try. Thanks for your insight.(Especially on the text mod I didn't even know they had such a thing but that's probably a must have) Hopefully I can enjoy these games again without breaking my back sitting in this chair.

I was playing some Turok with the controller just now and it still blows my mind at times how well it works. I have mostly played Fallout 4 with it (28 hours) but the touch pad is like a second nature for me. There are some times when I am having issues with very small movements, but mostly it was like playing with the N64 controller back in '97 all over again.

how do i set up the left track pad so that when i have it set up as left joystick it actually works like a left joystick? i want to expand the circle that makes it "walking" if you catch my drift. the "walking circle is too small for my liking

Foxyone

I wouldn't mind a new feature to switch between controller bindings. Something like setting up a whole bunch of controller bindings for specific purpose like media / browser games, then binding them to a touch menu to switch between them.

how do i set up the left track pad so that when i have it set up as left joystick it actually works like a left joystick? i want to expand the circle that makes it "walking" if you catch my drift. the "walking circle is too small for my liking
Sounds like you want Advanced Settings>Stick Response Curve

derFeef

Man, switching PC's with the controller should be easier. I thought it's taking the configs with it? At first it did not even recogize the name and stuff, then the configs would load upon the second or thrid bootup of the game. And then sometimes it randomly goes back to an age old config...

is that a cloud problem? How does this even work without internet?

edit: how do I re-migrate? it's asking me on every boot-up now.

Unai

Man, switching PC's with the controller should be easier. I thought it's taking the configs with it? At first it did not even recogize the name and stuff, then the configs would load upon the second or thrid bootup of the game. And then sometimes it randomly goes back to an age old config...

is that a cloud problem? How does this even work without internet?

edit: how do I re-migrate? it's asking me on every boot-up now.

In my opnion it's better to opt out of the beta for now. The last beta update was a mess.

I'm so glad I borrowed this controller from a friend.

So much potential! I could only imagine playing games like Arma 3 and Super Mario Galaxy 2 with this pad.

And now that I have it in my hands, I know that using this amazing controller with the programs I like... that happen not to hook directly into Steam Big Picture mode... is a hellish nightmare of the sort that could singlehandedly turn me off from something I was otherwise hyped for.

So I can't play Arma 3 on Hostile Takeover servers without re-downloading and reorganizing shitloads of mods that I would otherwise just activate easily using the WS Launcher. Because I MUST launch Arma 3, using Arma 3's native launcher, from the Arma 3 icon in Big Picture Mode, and NOTHING else, or the Steam Controller will not work.

So I can't switch games on Dolphin without making a new Dolphin shortcut that boots that game directly, and then adding that individual new shortcut to my Steam Library, because starting Dolphin and then opening a game... Steam Controller doesn't like that.

So I have to change my desktop controller profile for Dolphin instead of using controller profiles for that program, because ?????? they just don't work

please tell me I'm just massively fucking up and this thing isn't this restrictive in general where anything that isn't a native launcher downloaded via Steam is concerned, because I really wanted one until just now. Gonna keep fucking with it for a while and see what sticks

deadfolk

I wouldn't mind a new feature to switch between controller bindings. Something like setting up a whole bunch of controller bindings for specific purpose like media / browser games, then binding them to a touch menu to switch between them.

This would be useful for something like Battlefront, where you might want a different profile for on foot vs in a vehicle, if you could quick switch.

Gruso

please tell me I'm just massively fucking up and this thing isn't this restrictive in general where anything that isn't a native launcher downloaded via Steam is concerned, because I really wanted one until just now. Gonna keep fucking with it for a while and see what sticks
Yes this use case is a massive PITA right now. But I wouldn't cast judgement on how restrictive things are just yet. The whole thing is a big beta rollercoaster right now, even for its intended functions. To put things in context, we don't even have remapping available for the Steam client itself. Yet Valve have been responding well to the range of functions the community wants, including non Steam games and HTPC control. So it's probably safe to say they'll turn their attention to some of the more difficult areas once the core functionality has stabilised. Revisit in a few months.

Jinkies

So I can't switch games on Dolphin without making a new Dolphin shortcut that boots that game directly, and then adding that individual new shortcut to my Steam Library, because starting Dolphin and then opening a game... Steam Controller doesn't like that.

This isn't correct, once you launch a game from Dolphin's main menu, your mapping for Dolphin in BPM should go into effect. All you need to do is setup Dolphin itself to launch from Steam.

One thing you cannot do (last I attempted) is exit a game back to the Dolphin menu, and launch another. For that, I bring up the BPM overlay, quit Dolphin, and then launch it again (minor inconvenience).

Maybe the controller settings in game were turned off for some reason? Fallout 4 has a setting where you tell if you are using a gamepad.
It's definitely not that, the controller is still set to on. It only started recently, I'm not sure why exactly.

When in the Gyro settings menu in L4D2 press start to go to legacy settings. From there go to advanced settings in the bottom right. It's there.
Cheers, I'll check it out. However, I started trying to use yaw, and found unlike what I thought originally, where I thought I had to physically move the controller to the left and right, with yaw it's more like turning a bus or truck steering wheel, and once I figured that out, I realised I didn't hate it so much.

Still need a lot more time to get used to the gyro, but I think I could grow to like it.

My ring and pinky fingers still don't have strength to press the rear paddles a ton of times during extended sessions. They're best used right now for infrequent buttons.

This isn't correct, once you launch a game from Dolphin's main menu, your mapping for Dolphin in BPM should go into effect. All you need to do is setup Dolphin itself to launch from Steam.

One thing you cannot do (last I attempted) is exit a game back to the Dolphin menu, and launch another. For that, I bring up the BPM overlay, quit Dolphin, and then launch it again (minor inconvenience).

That's my understanding of how Dolphin should work with the controller and BPM (or vice versa or whatever) but even despite following guides to a T the only way I can get the controller to work with Dolphin is if I make a 'desktop' profile for Dolphin. Which, eh, I can deal with for now. Truth be told even though I'm kind of frustrated with this thing so far, I love me some tweaking and fiddling, and I'm having enough fun with probing the possibilities so far that I think I'll end up getting one of these things after all. (Made a Shadow Complex configuration in 20 minutes and it destroys the 360 layout... I mean shit, you can run and gun. It's like a whole new game!) Right now I'm setting up a Skyward Sword profile, gonna see if I can translate finger swipes on the left or right pad to Dolphin motion Swings. If I can get that to work, hoo boy, I'll buy one of these shits tomorrow.

Yes this use case is a massive PITA right now. But I wouldn't cast judgement on how restrictive things are just yet. The whole thing is a big beta rollercoaster right now, even for its intended functions. To put things in context, we don't even have remapping available for the Steam client itself. Yet Valve have been responding well to the range of functions the community wants, including non Steam games and HTPC control. So it's probably safe to say they'll turn their attention to some of the more difficult areas once the core functionality has stabilised. Revisit in a few months.

Word. I've heard Valve's been supporting this thing real well so I have confidence in it continuing to improve. Today was my first hands on with the controller so I'm not sure exactly how much its advanced since it first hit but its core functionality is beautifully extensive and as long as that's there I can wait for the other shit to get worked out.

New video from Woodsie is out. It's a really good top 10 list of games with the controller, aimed towards easing newcomers into the various features of the controller. Definitely still worth a watch even if you've been using the controller for months already.

https://youtu.be/HWf-q0FxTBM

Nabs

Counter-Strike GO and L4D2 are now packed in with each controller (and Link). This deal goes for Steam, Gamestop and Amazon so far. I'm sure Game and other supported stores will have similar deals.

derFeef

Counter-Strike GO and L4D2 are now packed in with each controller (and Link). This deal goes for Steam, Gamestop and Amazon so far. I'm sure Game and other supported stores will have similar deals.

Two shooters, weird... should have at least packed in one different game. Like Rocket League, yeah.

Really?! I bought one of each from Amazon early this month and haven't seen anything...

Yaari

Can you really play (competitive) something like CSGO with it? I mean, some of those KB+M players will have that cursor on your head in a split second.

Top Bottom