• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Durante

By the way, the battery time on this controller is completely insane. I'm using Eneloop Pros (not that it should make a large difference) and after probably around 50 hours of using the controller (often with mid/high feedback) it tells me that it's still 90% charged.

How does this controller work out of the box for emulators like Dolphin and ZSNES? Do you need to install some sort of software for Windows 10 to bind the buttons to keystrokes for these, or do they detect as gamepads?

ibu

By the way, the battery time on this controller is completely insane. I'm using Eneloop Pros (not that it should make a large difference) and after probably around 50 hours of using the controller (often with mid/high feedback) it tells me that it's still 90% charged.

That's pretty heartening to hear. I'd intended on buying some eneloops for a while, so knowing that the life on them is so good instilla positive feelings within me.

Now to wait and see when this controller arrives.

Game.co.uk are being very very price-gougey with the prices at the moment. Cheapest steam controller bundle is £89.99 with a £50 steam voucher. How apt that the cheaper bundles are no longer able to order online.

Makes me think twice about using them again.

Boxuv

Neo Member
That's pretty heartening to hear. I'd intended on buying some eneloops for a while, so knowing that the life on them is so good instilla positive feelings within me.

Now to wait and see when this controller arrives.

Game.co.uk are being very very price-gougey with the prices at the moment. Cheapest steam controller bundle is £89.99 with a £50 steam voucher. How apt that the cheaper bundles are no longer able to order online.

Makes me think twice about usin them again.
Keep in mind their battery life indicator is a bit wonky and doesn't show the decline linearly. But the battery life itself is still great. As mentioned earlier in the thread, should be around 80h on the included duracells.

Sorry, didn't mean to leave your post on the other page. I don't have the game downloaded, but does the Steam overlay work while in game? I'd recommend disabling the Origin overlay, then restart Origin and give it another go.

Origin in-game is always off, but no, looks like Steam overlay isn't working for Dragon Age II. Anyone know what my next step is to fix this?

Taborcarn

I started playing Divinity: Original Sin with this yesterday. After modifying the config, I really like the KB/M style controls much better than the controller style added in the Enhanced Edition. There's just a lot more freedom with the trackball mouse, and you can really fly around the map with the left stick. What really makes it is the touch menu on the left pad, I have all major menu pages there + quick save.

Only thing that can sometimes be a pain is picking up and moving barrels, etc. It doesn't always grab the first time, and a few times I just ended up grabbing the mouse to do it.

If anyone wants, it's saved as Taborcarn's EE config.

Bliddo

I really can't use this thing. I feel like I'm missing something. I'm currently trying the Talos principle. I updated the firmware (using the cable, because via wifi was a no-go), downloaded the recommended config, but it feels horrible, I can't control the camera. Also the haptics are non existent. I cranked them up to the max, but I only get a weird cracking noise under the touchpad.
:/

Nzyme32

I really can't use this thing. I feel like I'm missing something. I'm currently trying the Talos principle. I updated the firmware (using the cable, because via wifi was a no-go), downloaded the recommended config, but it feels horrible, I can't control the camera. Also the haptics are non existent. I cranked them up to the max, but I only get a weird cracking noise under the touchpad.
:/

That's bizarre. I've really enjoyed Talos Principle using the native controller support that is there by default. I added the gyro since it just works brilliantly for any first person game where I need to do any aiming, to the point where now it is second nature. I think all I did was up the sensitivity a little bit to suit me and I have the rotation angle such that there is a about a 30 degree anticlockwise rotation of the horizontal axis, which seems to be perfect for me (although I feel like this is carried over from other games since I don't remember setting it up that way, unless the developers did as well)

Foxyone

How does this controller work out of the box for emulators like Dolphin and ZSNES? Do you need to install some sort of software for Windows 10 to bind the buttons to keystrokes for these, or do they detect as gamepads?

All I know is that after adding Dolphin's exe to Steam, before opening it in BPM, I edited the controller bindings for Dolphin to the game pad template, then Dolphin recognized it as a gamepad.

Yeah, it's a challenger for the longest controller battery life award currently held by the Wii U Pro (my other default PC gamepad.)

Would you happen to know if the Amazon ones would work with This Charger?

That's what I currently have but I'm less than thrilled with the batteries.

I charge my eneloops with the junk charger I got with some Energizers or something ten years ago and have never had an issue.

I really can't use this thing. I feel like I'm missing something. I'm currently trying the Talos principle.

I had a weird issue keeping my viewpoint level in Talos despite tweaking the controls over and over. Wasn't able to figure out what the cause was.

dangeROSS

Has anyone had any experiences using the Steam controller with a Alienware Alpha - One without the Steam OS just the standard Alienware UI? I ordered an Alpha recently and I've been wondering whether or not it'd be worth getting one to use on it. I think I'd be fine messing around with configurations for games and such, but I wasn't sure if the Steam Controller plays all that well with the standard Alpha UI as a mouse or virtual keyboard.

MNC

So, apparently the community bindings were there, there just are really, really few of them. (Atleast, I kept checking Tales From the Borderlands and there were none). Other games have them.

Controller config is a clusterfuck at the moment. Each time I make manipulations and try to export it privately, it saves it as a new configuration; as some kind of versioning? Either way, what is the point of exporting privately? It used to be called 'saving', I think, which is a much better name since that's all it does. If I export it privately, will it only then be uploaded to the Steam cloud under my profile?

At random times, it will reset the name to "Controller configuration" (or is that when I start editing?) as well as once springing back to $$$autosave and being the default.

I'm a bit scared to create bindings now since I don't know what goes where. Reverting to the stable is not an option because I am a sucker for new features.

WalTech

I'm having a problem with the controller configs, too. They're saving just fine, but when I go to use them with my Steam Link, they're not even there. Super frustrating. I made a nice config that works well with GTAV and then when I want to play it on my TV it's back to the stupid stock control scheme which I hate. Is there any way to ensure that my configs move from one device to the other or am I just doomed?

After spending weeks with this, should Valve make a hardware revision, built quality and bumpers continue to be my chief complaints with this first release. I remap bumpers to paddles for all games due to the stiffness and position. I'm happy with the rest.

Bl@de

After my second day with the controller I'm starting to love it. Mouse control on the desktop (die evil Fallout launcher of doom). Played two levels in Turok and I'm getting better. Figured out a lot of the config stuff. I have a strong feeling that from this day on this will be my number 1 controller.

Edit: Also played some Divinty OS Enhanced Splitscreen with a Steam/Xbox 360 combo on my TV. Comfy couch crpg coop. The times we live in...

Durante

After spending weeks with this, should Valve make a hardware revision, built quality and bumpers continue to be my chief complaints with this first release. I remap bumpers to paddles for all games due to the stiffness and position. I'm happy with the rest.
I have no issue with either the build quality or the bumpers. If anything, I'd want a revision to reduce the touchpad click resistance. But that's rather minor.

I have no issue with either the build quality or the bumpers. If anything, I'd want a revision to reduce the touchpad click resistance. But that's rather minor.

Yeah they need to be easie to click in. They are just a smidge too hard. It's my only complaint with the controller.

Unai

Yeah they need to be easie to click in. They are just a smidge too hard. It's my only complaint with the controller.

Same here.

By the way, I've just tried Dark Souls again with the Xbox One controller, and I think I can't play with it anymore. Camera control is so good with the Steam controller in trackball mode even using Mouse Joystick that I can't go back to analog stick anymore. Good thing I don't need to. Run and move the camera freely without the claw grip is just amazing.

Bl@de

Yup. I have clicking disabled on the left pad because it's easier. Instead I go with strong haptic feedback.
My other complaint. The sound feedback is loud, annoying and feels cheap. Should change it to vibration. Good thing you can turn it off. Everything else feels great.

Now I'm curious if anybody else has stiff bumpers or it is unique to mine. Every other button and stick have a good response. Only other gamepad with stiffer shoulder buttons is an old third party USB Sega Saturn pad.

DeaviL

Banned
Now I'm curious if anybody else has stiff bumpers or it is unique to mine. Every other button and stick have a good response. Only other gamepad with stiffer shoulder buttons is an old third party USB Sega Saturn pad.

I just got a steam c. and immediately thought that the bumpers were kind of soft...

Has anyone else experienced a decrease in connection quality between their controller and their dongle? It worked flawlessly when I first received it, but recently my analog stick has been wonking out. After a couple minutes of playtime, certain directions typically become unresponsive. I'm on beta, by the way, which I really hope is the culprit here, rather than an issue with my controller.

I never realized how tightly I gripped my controllers until now. I keep accidentally clicking the bottom buttons whenever the action picks up in a game because I tighten my grip.

Has anyone else experienced a decrease in connection quality between their controller and their dongle? It worked flawlessly when I first received it, but recently my analog stick has been wonking out. After a couple minutes of playtime, certain directions typically become unresponsive. I'm on beta, by the way, which I really hope is the culprit here, rather than an issue with my controller.

Are you still using the batteries it came with? My controller did some really strange things just before the batteries finally died.

You can try plugging the controller directly into your computer with the cable to see if it really is a wireless connectivity issue.

Vash63

Just a warning for other users here, the new beta from 3 days ago is terrible for streaming. Once the stream begins you lose whatever bindings you set up prior to streaming, and then when you try to change binds in-game using the Steam Overlay they don't stick at all. For the first time in years I had to downgrade out of the Steam client beta between that issue and it's crashy in streaming now.

Crayon

I would consider the bumpers pretty stiff. I found them ill shaped at first, but that was using my preferred grip which is with the index fingers on the triggers. I was quite disappointed by the bumpers. The second day, I tried with my ring fingers on the triggers and the whole thing made sense. I know some people cant stand playing like that , but I'd suggest giving it a try.

When I hold it like that, my index fingers actually fall above and against the bumpers. They can help hold the controller in that position and its comfortable for extended sessions. I can easily bump them downwards with the side of the index finger. In addition to this, I noticed that the touchpads fell more under the pad of my thumbs and the stick and buttons didn't feel like such a reach.

sirap

But one game is just a big mess...

Fallout 4. How do you guys play this game with the Controller? Mouse-like joystick is pure crap. Even on maximum in-game sensitivity it is way too slow and the trackball feels unnatural (unlike on the mouse setting). I can't hit anything and die all the time :( The nr.1 community setting (with 4000 users) is slow and clumsy.

EDIT: Another question. How do I configure or use gyro controls? I can't see anything in the settings -.- There are so many.

Mouse-like joystick in Fallout 4 is trash. Even if you increase the sensitivity in the ini, you're still dealing with some auto-aim fuckery. I'm sure you can disable them with console commands, but it's much easier to use a KB&M configuration with the controller.

Got mine delivered this morning, been playing around with it a little bit. It seems pretty nice so far, definitely a learning curve to it. Just trying to find a game in my list to really put it through it's paces.

I want to try it with Just Cause 3, but the game seems to be broken in BPM? You can start it from BPM, but once in game you get the regular Steam overlay, plus the popular config only half works? The joystick works, but left pad and gyro don't work, despite the haptics working. Can anyone else confirm this?

Same here.

By the way, I've just tried Dark Souls again with the Xbox One controller, and I think I can't play with it anymore. Camera control is so good with the Steam controller in trackball mode even using Mouse Joystick that I can't go back to analog stick anymore. Good thing I don't need to. Run and move the camera freely without the claw grip is just amazing.
Is your config in the community list?

Nabs

I only had a few minutes with Witcher 3, but this seems to work well: set a shift mode on the right pad (right pad click) with a 5 button dpad (inverted outer bind as the center). put your spells on there with multi-button hotkeys (3-7 picks the spell, q uses it). I haven't gotten far enough, so I don't know if that works with the upgraded spells, but it feels good so far.

if anyone has Portal 2 installed and could test this for me, that would be a huge help towards me figuring out whether i need to send my controller back for a replacement

after further testing, i'm not sure if this is happening in anything other than Portal 2. when pressing down repeatedly and rapidly on the analog stick in the menu, often times the selection moves two spaces down instead of one. i tried this in a few other games (MGSV: Ground Zeroes, Westerado, Wolfenstein: TNO) and did not notice it happening there, nor did i notice it happening in the BPM menus.

however this doesn't seem to happen in Portal 2 with an Xbox 360 controller.

Just tested it, and yea, I can confirm this does happen.

thanks, i really appreciate it

also one last question - it's normal for the bottom edge of the right trackpad to be a dead zone in-game when set to mouse or mouse joystick? it registers fully on the diagnostic screen and works normally in joystick camera/etc

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just a heads up, the beta seems to have issues like this occasionally. If you don't want to deal with Valve breaking things every couple of weeks, stable is probably better. :p

I've been on beta since I got the controller at launch and this is the first time it's just not worked at all. I'm okay with hiccups here and there but bugs that completely negate the intention of the controller are absurd.

Oreoleo

thanks, i really appreciate it

also one last question - it's normal for the bottom edge of the right trackpad to be a dead zone in-game when set to mouse or mouse joystick? it registers fully on the diagnostic screen and works normally in joystick camera/etc

Pretty much. It's so you don't accidentally activate the pad when using the face buttons. It used to be worse but they decreased the outer dead zone shortly after the controller released.

derFeef

I am making a fool of myself online learning the pad in Battlefront. The aiming will always be off, but I am flicking it around like crazy if I panic, haha. Also the Gyro does not work for me, I am doing better when it's off.

zbarron

I am making a fool of myself online learning the pad in Battlefront. The aiming will always be off, but I am flicking it around like crazy if I panic, haha. Also the Gyro does not work for me, I am doing better when it's off.

Are you using Gyro for fine movement to assist the pad or doing most of your aiming with it?

Croc

Banned
so I'm assuming this is a steam controller/steam link problem rather than a Fallout 4 problem so I'll ask here. Just got a link/controller for the holidays and it seems to launch everything else fine, but with Fallout 4 it loads up the launcher and then I'm not able to click anything else.

The weird thing is it worked fine a few days ago but now I'm just stuck on the launcher screen since I can't select anything.

AppleMIX

For gyro, set smoothing to maximum.

Deadstar

Can the right pad be set so that it slowly moves the camera in the direction you are touching without swiping in that direction? I'd like to mimic a right stick for MGS.

Veal

Just thinking Magicka could be a great game with the controller. Was too hard on the 360 controller. The rich pad would work great
I haven't been able to make it feel completely comfortable but there are some configs out there that definitely try! Too many inputs for my taste with this controller.

CaLe

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't seem to apply any community controller config... I press "x" to bring up the configs, select a consig, press "a" and nothing changes... Im losing my mind here, what am I doing wrong please?

Edit: argggh... It was due to the steam beta build.

Top Bottom