• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

MNC

My controller's out of the box calibration was absolute garbage. Had to recalibrate.

It's interesting. I don't think I could ever play a shooter with this (I tried FO4) but this is awesome for games like Civ.

I think Fallout 4 is a bad example because by default, I think it simulates an analog stick for camera control and Fallout 4 does not allow for simultaneous keyboard and gamepad control. Definitely try some other shooters; it's really fun to play them with the Steam controller.

Unai

Can you play a shooter with a dual analog controller? If not, that's fine (and I can relate!), but if you can, do give it some more time.

I've come to the conclusion that the right pad in trackball mode is greatly superior for camera control to a thumbstick in absolutely every game I've tried.

I completely agree with this. But then again, I've only used dual sticks to aim because I had to. Never liked them very much.

When it comes to third and first person shooters, I would suggest people try setting the controller to emulate mouse and keyboard instead on a controller. Feels much better to me.

Also, gyro.

Durante

As long as a game has a high enough in-game sensitivity setting, "mouse joystick" works pretty well for me. It has the advantage of being compatible with pretty much everything.

GrazGamer

When it comes to third and first person shooters, I would suggest people try setting the controller to emulate mouse and keyboard instead on a controller. Feels much better to me.

Also, gyro.

2nd this, older COD and FEAR games are a revelation with this controller, especially with Gyro. It will never replace my xbone controller for games with native support but for older fps games I bloody love it. Coupled with Link, Valve have given me the best xmas present ever.

baconcow

So far, my best experiences have come playing:

- GemCraft 2: Chasing Shadows (custom profile)
- Cities Skylines (official profile)
- Kerbal Space Program (official profile)
- Darkest Dungeon (official profile)
- Civilization V (custom profile?)
- Europa Univeralis (custom profile, however, UI too small for TV play)

Rongolian

Banned
I've been on the fence about getting one of these since I've heard mixed reviews about their functionality.

I'd really like to wait until a second revision of the controller is released and the client is out of beta before diving in.

Are my concerns legitimate? Should I wait a bit before buying in?

Layell

I've been on the fence about getting one of these since I've heard mixed reviews about their functionality.

I'd really like to wait until a second revision of the controller is released and the client is out of beta before diving in.

In terms of additions I struggle to think of anything that could be added, a touch pad in the middle wouldn't do much and take up the steam start/select space, and unless they add more pads underneath there isn't much point.

Waiting for more software updates is fair game I would say, it's still a fantastic experience for me. You may want to stay out of the steam beta option for a while.

sheaaaa

Hey guys, been giving my Steam Controller a proper go with Talos Principle (native support). Some thoughts and questions:

- I'm still torn between whether I prefer an analogue stick or the trackpad in trackball mode. While I can appreciate that it's snappier than an analogue stick, I don't seem to be able to do what I can only describe as a smooth pan of the camera across the screen. Movements of the trackpad seem to work better as short, sharp motions, which is fine, but longer, sustained movements seem to be a tad too jittery, if that makes sense.

- Tried Spelunky with the controller. Yeah, will just stick to D-pad for that one!

- The buttons seem to be placed too closely together, and are a bit too far away from the right edge of the controller for comfort. Minor gripes.

- The real reason I bought it is for games that I wouldn't be able to use a controller with otherwise, stuff like Civ 5 and Cities Skylines. Quite keen to try those out.

- Community bindings: Read some stuff about being in the beta and having few community bindings to choose from. What's the latest on this?

When you guys use the left trackpad to move or whatever do you guys make it so it requires a click or just touch? I personally go with just touch, i find that holding it down is pretty uncomfortable

ibu

I received one at Christmas, it has been an exciting and enlightening experience.

I've currently tried it on the following games (with the following opinions):

Civ V - developer profile (works brilliantly and almost second nature)

Anno 1404 - Top community profile (just wonderful)

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter REDUX - top community profile (works fantastically and mouse movement is wonderful, even works well with the generic controller profile)

The Talos Principle - generic profile (works brilliantly without any issues)

Far Cry 3 - top community profile/generic controller profile (needs some work and customisation, definitely use the gyro)

Portal 2 - developer profile (just perfect).

It definitely is a work in progress, but how much so is down to you the user. If you're not happy with something in a game, adjust it. I personally haven't bothered with the beta client as I prefer relative stability, and it seems that's currently the best option due to recent beta client issues.

So far it's my favourite controller to use as it seems to just work and I love the level of controller and movement response through the haptic a compared to relative dead zones of controllers.

At worst you could hate it and sell it for what you paid for it. At best you'd adore it and see the possibilities it brings to the fore.

Durante

- I'm still torn between whether I prefer an analogue stick or the trackpad in trackball mode. While I can appreciate that it's snappier than an analogue stick, I don't seem to be able to do what I can only describe as a smooth pan of the camera across the screen. Movements of the trackpad seem to work better as short, sharp motions, which is fine, but longer, sustained movements seem to be a tad too jittery, if that makes sense?
Are you using low friction? If I want a long sustained movement I just give it a spin and let it "roll".

Jams775

I feel like the probability of anyone interested in liking the controller falls on their ability and willingness to use a game pad that isn't a variation on the dual shock or 360. I noticed a lot of people complaining about the position of the face buttons. But that's not even a problem if you're used to different kinds of controllers.

How much the occasional tweaking would bother them. Sometimes you can get away with choosing a template like the one that mimics a 360 controller. But sometimes you are going to need to tweak a thing or two if something doesn't feel right.

I don't know why everyone says it feels cheap because it really doesn't. Again I think they are just trying too hard to compare it to the only controller they know and don't want to like it to begin with.

It works great on every type of game though there will be a learning curve on some types of games. City builders like Cities Skylines? works like a dream. It was the first game I used with the controller and it worked naturally without any tweaking to the config.

Competitive first person shooter? It's going take some getting used to but it's possible to get back whatever k:d ratio you had before.

So if you're looking for another kind of 360 controller, I'd hold off. If you're looking for a new kind of controller that lets you replace your Kb/m in games, then the Steam controller is a great alternative.

Edit: By the way, it has become my favorite controller and I use it at my desk as a replacement to a 360 controller and when I don't feel like using a keyboard and mouse.

datamage

Yes I can.

I definitely plan to invest some more time into it. I might just need to up the right pad's sensitivity more. I'm mostly accurate, but it feels slow.

Edit - I'm going to try a shooter with a mouse-based config. It seems FO4 tries to emulate an analog stick.

Also, I've come to love having the gyro set to always on. It's not for everyone, but it feels natural to me. In the heat of the moment, you don't need to concern yourself with activating the gyro.

alerus

Neo Member
Haven't tried it but probably just fine. You might not get analogue movement on the left stick though, as you'd be binding WASD to it.

If there is a walk button, it works surprising well to use an inverted outer ring on the analog so that partial presses hold the walk button.

Also, I've come to love having the gyro set to always on. It's not for everyone, but it feels natural to me. In the heat of the moment, you don't need to concern yourself with activating the gyro.

I thought I'd like it that way, but really don't. The core issue is that if it's always on you lose the equivalent mouse ability to "lift" the mouse and reset is position. With activation only on trackpad touch, however, you can do that.

That's for Gyro as a mouse though. If you're using it as a joystick/analog always on is probably fine.

CaLe

Absolutely LOVE the controller with MGS V. An absolute joy to play, I didn't expect it to make playing that game even more enjoyable. I'm truly a believer now, so glad I picked it up regardless of the negative press. Find a good control scheme, fine tune it to your liking, that's all it takes.

Foxyone

I'm really liking using the gyro to move around between blocks of whatever I'm mining in Minecraft with m + kb controls. Unfortunately I realized that once I made a small base, I don't know what to do with a base unmodded game :/

theRizzle

I just grabbed a Steam Controller from my buddy for $20 CDN. I saw it sitting on a shelf in his apartment and asked him about it. He said he hated it and would never use it again.

I don't have whatever dongle there is, so I'm wondering if it will work wired?

I just grabbed a Steam Controller from my buddy for $20 CDN. I saw it sitting on a shelf in his apartment and asked him about it. He said he hated it and would never use it again.

I don't have whatever dongle there is, so I'm wondering if it will work wired?

You should be able to connect it using a micro-usb to USB cable. In fact, the controller comes with such a cable, as well as the dongle, and an extender for the dongle. You should ask your friend to fork over those parts as well.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm actually using the developer recommended profile for the game, and it feels ok for controlling the game, but after going back to a normal 360 controller to play for an hour or so, it felt like I was cheating with the speed and accuracy I got by using a traditional controller.

Which from all that I can read, is the exact opposite reaction everyone else is having, so I'm wondering if that game in particular is funky or I'm just broken after not having used a mouse as a input device for games since Half Life 2.

Even though it's the default recommendation, it's still a straight emulation of a 360 pad which, while functional, is a terrible use of the controller.

Try out some of the community bindings. Try the top rated one, but make sure you edit that ini file in my previous post. The sensitivity needs to be higher than what the game's settings will allow.

With this setup, I feel aiming with the trackpad is superior to an analog stick.

Is that extender for the dongle any good? Never really used it.
It's just a USB extender, so there isn't really a "good or bad." It just is.

A good use scenario is if your computer is farther away from where you're playing or if you don't want the dongle sticking out of your computer where someone could easily accidentally break it.

RedSwirl

Trying to figure out how to not suck at first person shooters with this. I'm okay at Turok, but terrible at Wolfenstein Old Blood, probably even worse than with a controller. Bringing mouse mentality over to just your thumb is a huge adjustment.

So far I've just been using the most popular configs for each game, but I might try to rig up one here, especially as I start using it for non-Steam games.

Dinjoralo

Well, the latest beta's broken everything for me. All my games are starting with desktop config unless I hit the steam button, then everything's unresponsive. :/

how does deus ex work the controller? I still haven't gotten too far in the game, but I think this controller would be perfect for it!?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I've found you can consistently make Steam crash if you are typing with the controller and try to move the window. 3-4 times now it's made it crash for me.

edit: Also crashed just x'ing out the text box with my mouse.

RedSwirl

I think I might have to give up on using this for first person shooters for now. At least Wolfenstein. I used the most popular set and toyed around with the mouse-like joystick but I can't get the sensitivity to where I like it. I have to do trackball swipes for all but the tiniest motions. It feels like a mouse that's on a mousepad way too small, and I still can't handle it as accurately as I would a regular mouse.

is there a way to assign a button to bring up the keyboard? i wanna play scribblenauts with the controller but this is where I'm getting screwed.

Nabs

I think I might have to give up on using this for first person shooters for now. At least Wolfenstein. I used the most popular set and toyed around with the mouse-like joystick but I can't get the sensitivity to where I like it. I have to do trackball swipes for all but the tiniest motions. It feels like a mouse that's on a mousepad way too small, and I still can't handle it as accurately as I would a regular mouse.

The New Order? I recently made a Mouse and Keyboard Setup (something like Excellent MKB Config) with gyro if you'd like to give it a try. It probably has 1 user at best. The left pad is a weapon touch menu, and the right pad is a mouse that also modifies the weapon when you click right or left. Clicking the middle will interact and pick up items.

If it's Old Blood, I can't help (right now), but I do recommend coming up with a M/KB setup. Wolfenstein feels really nice with the Steam Controller.

is there a way to assign a button to bring up the keyboard? i wanna play scribblenauts with the controller but this is where I'm getting screwed.

Hold the Steam Button + the Back Button to bring up the keyboard. We can't map it yet.

RedSwirl

It's Old Blood but I had to use the mouse-like joystick because with a controller that's the only way you can switch weapons (that I know of).

Edit: Number 2 configuration is much better. They switched over to mouse mode, but somehow got it to where when you hold the right bumper the right trackpad becomes an analog stick. This Steam Controller configuration is deep, man.

Steel

Banned
Got one of these recently, and while I'm liking it so far except for one issue: it just plain doesn't work with Mount & Blade Warband despite the fact that it has controller support built in and I'm using a community profile. Don't get it.

Nabs

It's Old Blood but I had to use the mouse-like joystick because with a controller that's the only way you can switch weapons (that I know of).

Edit: Number 2 configuration is much better. They switched over to mouse mode, but somehow got it to where when you hold the right bumper the right trackpad becomes an analog stick. This Steam Controller configuration is deep, man.

Oh yeah, it can get real deep if you let it. I do recommend giving a full MKB setup a try sometime. You can make the left pad a scroll wheel, or a touch menu (1-7) for your weapons. Either way, I do recommend adding gyro to the config if it doesn't already have it.

Sinistral

I'm getting used to the controller. Played through Life is Strange with a great Community config. Now I'm playing through Tales from the Borderlands and would like to copy the Life is Strange setup somewhat.

I've got the right pad to trackball nicely, however I can't get the click regions to work. ABXY to be mapped to the track pad when clicked in the corresponding sub-regions of the pad. Any idea? I've tried mode shifting but the LiS setup didnt require a mode shift, it was an always on thing. Thanks.

Nabs

I'm getting used to the controller. Played through Life is Strange with a great Community config. Now I'm playing through Tales from the Borderlands and would like to copy the Life is Strange setup somewhat.

I've got the right pad to trackball nicely, however I can't get the click regions to work. ABXY to be mapped to the track pad when clicked in the corresponding sub-regions of the pad. Any idea? I've tried mode shifting but the LiS setup didnt require a mode shift, it was an always on thing. Thanks.

Use a mode shift (button pad), but make the trigger Right Pad Click.

Cool, I think it's working. Wish the advanced settings for button radius and distance had a visual cue though.

For applications like this, I just make the right pad a D-pad set to "Radial Without Overlap". The whole pad will be split into four pie-pieces that way, you don't have to worry about missing a button.

alerus

Neo Member
The problem is directional inputs. Instead of getting a full circle you just end up with 8 directions.

That's true, though I haven't found it to be an issue at all in any games yet for the same reason that WASD always seemed fine in terms of movement direction to me.

BTW, does anyone know if there is a way to set up a trackpad to work like a throttle where it "sticks" to the last position instead of resetting. The scroll wheel mode with the circular motions is probably closest, but I'd like to use it for games that are actually looking for throttle controls (e.g., Tie fighter). If not, Valve should add this functionality.

BTW, does anyone know if there is a way to set up a trackpad to work like a throttle where it "sticks" to the last position instead of resetting. The scroll wheel mode with the circular motions is probably closest, but I'd like to use it for games that are actually looking for throttle controls (e.g., Tie fighter). If not, Valve should add this functionality.

That's an interesting idea. Theycould just add a checkbox in the advanced joystick settings, "reset to center" which you can turn off for applications where you don't want the joystick to have a spring. Mouse Joystick would make it possible to swipe on the pad to set the joystick's position (as long as they give us back the Sensitivity setting), or using Joystick Move mode you could just press the pad where you want it to stick.

And letting the scroll wheel mode output as a joystick value would work for this, too. Give us a setting for the increment/decrement per tick, and maybe make it beep instead of clicking when you try to go above/below the extents of the stick.

Shane

How do you guys hold this controller?

Yes, I know. With hands. But is your thumb flat on the track pad or do you use the tip of your thumb? Do you have your index fingers on the bumper or triggers?

I feel I might be clawing it a little to hard. And I don't want arthritis.

viveks86

Yes, I know. With hands. But is your thumb flat on the track pad or do you use the tip of your thumb? Do you have your index fingers on the bumper or triggers?

Tips on trackpad, index fingers on triggers

I'm surprised Valve did not implement this. And turbo keys shouldn't be just reserved for buttons as well.

Nabs

You only need a light touch. I hold the controller in my lap, with the pads facing the ceiling.

Tips on trackpad, index fingers on triggers

^

Limality

Banned
I was able to test my SteamPad yesterday. It feels quite good and build quality seems okay for now. But the cheap and rough plastic feeling of the trackpads is getting to me.

GrazGamer

The one thing I haven't gotten used to is using the trackpad to aim while shooting. I always line up then press the trigger and use gyro for fine tuning. I can't use the gyro permanently only on pressing the trigger. I need to get some practice aiming and shooting with the trackpad as not all games have the iron sights.

Top Bottom