• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I uploaded the only Why Am I Dead at Sea controller configuration up. Buy this game.

I don't know why I'm having so many issues with the controller :( I've finally fixed the wireless thing, but I'm now having issues with it being recognised in games. It will start out fine SOMETIMES or it just won't. Then it won't recognise the controller, or it won't recognise the left joystick. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

I don't know why I'm having so many issues with the controller :( I've finally fixed the wireless thing, but I'm now having issues with it being recognised in games. It will start out fine SOMETIMES or it just won't. Then it won't recognise the controller, or it won't recognise the left joystick. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

I'm right there with you...

Nabs

Are you in the beta? Some have been having issues with it.

Nabs

Go to your Steam Settings > Account > Beta Participation. You can see if you're in the beta, and you'll also be able to opt out. It may not be the beta's fault, so you may want to opt in. Just switch between and see.

I did hear that some Link users were having issues with the Beta client. Also make sure you're not running any screen programs, like fraps or something similar.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
About how long does this take to arrive? Mine is "shipping soon."

Also, anyone try playing Morrowind/Oblivion with this thing?

Looking forward to trying System Shock 2 and Elite Dangerous Horizons.

Also, S.T.A.L.K.E.R series is another that I would like to think this controller will enable comfy couch play with...

A fantasy? Or is this Steam Controller able to do what I hope it can?

hepburn3d

Also, S.T.A.L.K.E.R series is another that I would like to think this controller will enable comfy couch play with...

I've made a few stalker configs. The touch menu works perfect for all the extra buttons. It has JUST the right amount to do everything. Love having torch on the right pad. Makes it so cool to be flicking it on and off quickly when stealthing under ground.

Edit:

I also use the gyro for leaning round corners. Is soooo good. I've shared them just now if you want to try them.

Unai

oh i think it works alright though I haven't tried Souls games yet, but messing with Assasins Creed it feels a little worse than a joystick no matter what config, which makes sense because what benefit would simulating a mouse or joystick or trackpad or anything and having 20 settings to tweak give over a real joystick

In the specific case of Dark Souls the benefits over a traditional gamepad is that I can sprint and move the camera at the same time. I can also change items and weapons without move the hand out of the trackpad. Camera control in trackball move also fells very nice.

Juice

So yesterday I put together a fairly competent Star Wars: The Old Republic controller config and was able to play on my couch via Link without a keyboard handy.

The last update says that non-steam games can share community controller profiles now, but how do I do that exactly? When I try to make the controller scheme public it just fails because there's no workshop

hepburn3d

I hope they fix GTA V.

if you open big picture while in game it stops all inputs

I'm also getting quite frustrated that every tweak I do is now a Save As new profile. Was so much simpler before

I think they fixed it, assuming I understood what you said. I just tested now with Baldur's Gate and I can quickly click a direction in the trackpad that is configured as a touch menu and it will register.

It works pretty well in third person games like Dark Souls in my experience.

Hrm. I might have to test that then.

dsk1210

I have actually been playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R call of Pripyat for the last few days, it works fantastic. My control setup is uploaded as Enhanced Controller. Fully labelled and a three speed left stick. Trackball and gyro.

Try it out, you may need to be in the beta though.

elohel

I bought this to play old first person role playing games or older PC games in general and it's pretty perfect for those uses

I just wish steam had the same selection of games as GOG.com

yes, forcing everyone to use BPM is stupid.

It's especially obnoxious right now, due to the animated holiday background. I wanted to grind a bit in an RPG while watching a stream, but thanks to BPM I now have animated snow running behind everything. And for some reason it's running at 5 FPS, making it even more distracting. I had to carefully stack windows it hide it ...

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I bought this to play old first person role playing games or older PC games in general and it's pretty perfect for those uses

I just wish steam had the same selection of games as GOG.com

There honestly aren't many games on GOG not on Steam.

Plus you can add GOG games to Steam and use the controller, so it's kind of moot anyway.

Ucchedavāda;190537140 said:
It's especially obnoxious right now, due to the animated holiday background. I wanted to grind a bit in an RPG while watching a stream, but thanks to BPM I now have animated snow running behind everything. And for some reason it's running at 5 FPS, making it even more distracting. I had to carefully stack windows it hide it ...

You just need to use BPM for the initial configuration. After that, the regular Steam client will use your config.

Shane

Got this and Link for Christmas. Managed to try out the controller for an hour. Really like it already. Found a community mapping for Rocket League and L4D2 that with a little tweaking will be amazing. With L4D2 I tunes the ingame mouse sensitivity to minimum and this made a world of difference.

Will be trying it with non-controller games tonight once I setup the Link.

P.s. Been a great thread. Was never a device that would review well. Seen it grow via the posts already.

Jebral

So aside from my anomalous mouse region issue, I also have an issue with Jedi Academy and only Jedi Academy. When I open the steam overlay to configure the controller the overlay fps drops to what feels like 10fps and it takes a solid 2 to 3 seconds to register a button press. It has worked properly once or twice, though I cannot identify why. I absolutely love this controller but there are issues here and there that make me want to headbutt a wall.

As far as the mouse region issue goes, it persists across controllers too.

Grumble grumble.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Well pre-orders came with the game... so yeah.

Default gamepad setting worked fine for me, haven't done anything more adventurous. Can't say I'm very good at the game so far.

Ah. I should have been more specific and asked how it compared to using the PS4 controller.

I wish it was still Rocket League, I'm getting CS:GO and L4D2 with mine.

Nete

Has anyone used the controller with Rocket League?

Me. I use this config to don't even move the thumbs unless quick chatting, and is kinda beautiful. I rarelly use Rear View tho, but it could be switched with Scoreboard at the joystick click.

wmrxGVg.png

Quick Chat is without click, just touch.

Hi guys, I've not been following the Steam controller that closely but visiting family over the holidays with only a laptop and very limited space available for setting up KB+M has made me wish I could play Starcraft and HotS/LoL with a controller. I've had a quick look in this thread but would appreciate to hear some more opinions about playing RTS games and MOBAs with this thing. I'm not expecting to 1v1 in Starcraft obviously but maybe play some campaign without feeling like bashing my head against a wall.

So since the pre-launch I've had problems using the trackpads on the controller wirelessly. It will sometimes become unresponsive for a split-second, or require more force on the trackpad to register movement. I thought this was just a firmware issue at first, but it's a couple months later now and I'm still having the same problem. The controller works fine when plugged in. Is this a known issue with the wireless controller/receiver? Or should I ask for a replacement for the USB wireless receiver?

Boxuv

Neo Member
So since the pre-launch I've had problems using the trackpads on the controller wirelessly. It will sometimes become unresponsive for a split-second, or require more force on the trackpad to register movement. I thought this was just a firmware issue at first, but it's a couple months later now and I'm still having the same problem. The controller works fine when plugged in. Is this a known issue with the wireless controller/receiver? Or should I ask for a replacement for the USB wireless receiver?

Have you brought the dongle closer to yourself/away from the PC with the extension provided in the box? Might be something is interfering with the signal.

BigTnaples

So I am off the next 3 days, and then I work 7 in a row. Kind of getting excited to play with this controller. However it has not yet shipped from steam. Did not realize I could pick these up at gamestops..

Would I be able to buy it at gamestop, then just return the one Steam ships me to gamestop with the reciept? As I don't see a way to cancel my Steam order..

Foxyone

I can't seem to get the thing feeling comfortable with Dark Souls, the right pad just feels so weird.

As for something like Oblivion, it feels very nice to me once you get your settings set. Can make it feel similar to the 360 controls, aside from a few issues here and there. I have a YT gameplay video, but it's a bit old and doesn't use the very beneficial gyro. With everything setup properly, it's one of my fave games to play with the SC.

BigTnaples

I can't seem to get the thing feeling comfortable with Dark Souls, the right pad just feels so weird.

As for something like Oblivion, it feels very nice to me once you get your settings set. Can make it feel similar to the 360 controls, aside from a few issues here and there. I have a YT gameplay video, but it's a bit old and doesn't use the very beneficial gyro. With everything setup properly, it's one of my fave games to play with the SC.

Nice. Thanks for the input. Really excited for this controller. So many games I would like to play/replay but wouldn't because I play on a comfy couch these days. (Haven't played on my dual monitor setup in a year or two.)

Bl@de

The greatest thing about this controller is not gaming itself but the complete package including the possibility of full desktop control. It was the missing piece for my HTPC console with Netflix/Youtube and Steam Big Picture (without having a keyboard or mouse connected). So now I'm using my holidays to build The Bl@destation. A mITX gaming cube. Thx Gabe. Oh yeah, it's great for gaming too^^

Is Fallout 4 specifically bad with the Steam Controller? I've played 30 hours with it now, and I still don't feel comformtable with the pads, and I feel I'm still far from as accurate as I would be with a set of sticks.

Is F4 just bad with the Steam Controller (autoaim or something?) and are there any better games to pick up and see the true potential of the controller?

How's the controller in general for traditional third person console games?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Is Fallout 4 specifically bad with the Steam Controller? I've played 30 hours with it now, and I still don't feel comformtable with the pads, and I feel I'm still far from as accurate as I would be with a set of sticks.

Is F4 just bad with the Steam Controller (autoaim or something?) and are there any better games to pick up and see the true potential of the controller?

How's the controller in general for traditional third person console games?

Are you just emulating the Xbox pad with your FO4 config? In terms of aiming with the pads, it would most likely be better if you were emulating the mouse and keyboard instead.

I'm playing with a modified Xbox config that requires I edit an .ini to increase the sensitivity beyond what's allowed in the settings. This gets the right pad pretty close to the mouse.

Here's a user from Reddit explaining it:

One note for Fallout 4 on configs using Mouse Joystick - Go to the Fallout4Prefs.ini (C:Users[name]DocumentsMy GamesFallout4Fallout4Prefs.ini), under [Controls] put: fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=5.0000 (or 4.0/6.0 or whatever your personal preference is - this is a lot higher than allowed by the in-game slider) In your Mouse Joystick controls under Advanced, set the Minimum Joystick X/Y Output Values to 5 ticks above the default.
With these two changes you should have a much more responsive, mouse-like input.

dyergram

anybody else using one of these for comfy couch gaming? Its incredibly frustrating that simple windows tasks like using the windows keyboard or closing annoying messages asking me to download drivers is impossible as windows doesn't register left clicks with this thing sometimes. Shame because I was really hoping to be able to retire my mouse and keyboard...

Foxyone

anybody else using one of these for comfy couch gaming? Its incredibly frustrating that simple windows tasks like using the windows keyboard or closing annoying messages asking me to download drivers is impossible as windows doesn't register left clicks with this thing sometimes. Shame because I was really hoping to be able to retire my mouse and keyboard...

I did what was mentioned in this reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamContr..._administration_mode_no_compatibility_popups/

And it seems to have at least helped the issue on my laptop. Can use the controller to input a login password with the on-screen keyboard if necessary, actually maintain control with (at least seemingly a good chunk of) Windows permission popups that would stop the controller from working, and also use the task manager without killing the controller. In my case though, Steam has to manually be opened after booting up to use your proper custom controller bindings. I'm trying to have a setup where I can just leave my PC in sleep and wake it up whenever I want by pressing the Steam button and quickly start doing stuff, and it seems to have at least helped.

daedalius

Can I ask in here about other controllers for the steam link? I just got mine(steam link)today and can't get it working with my xbone controller at all, it won't even recognize it when it's plugged in.

dity

I got a Steam Controller for Christmas and think it's really cool. I've played a point and click game with it and I like that I can finally play it out in the living room.

I like the subtle vibrations when you use the trackpads. I like how I don't have to completely press the trigger for it to recognise as a click. I actually like how the thumbstick and face buttons feel, even though before I started using it I thought it was amusing that they felt like M&Ms. It felt really light until I put the batteries in too.

Tahnit

Banned
Hi guys, I've not been following the Steam controller that closely but visiting family over the holidays with only a laptop and very limited space available for setting up KB+M has made me wish I could play Starcraft and HotS/LoL with a controller. I've had a quick look in this thread but would appreciate to hear some more opinions about playing RTS games and MOBAs with this thing. I'm not expecting to 1v1 in Starcraft obviously but maybe play some campaign without feeling like bashing my head against a wall.

I made a config just for starcraft. Linking you the reddit post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamContr...configuration_i_have_solved_the_problem_with/

Veal

I haven't heard many people talk about or experiment with the Cross Gate dpad layout yet.

8kpamY4.jpg

Basically it works as above, where the layout of the directions matches more of what the indentations look like, with a square deadzone at the centre. Using the settings to make this dead zone match the controllers indentation, I've been finding this to work really well for platformer's and I seem to be having some good success in fighting games too - probably because I have a tendency to stay quite central to the deadzone when playing dpad style games. I'll be testing it more over the next month or so to see what works well and what doesn't whenever I have time. For now though, it definitely seems like something worth investing time in and checking out if you are taking on the left pad.
I wish we could see those changes represented visually in real-time...

Veal

Yes, and then it has to wait on BPM's slow framerate to respond, meaning lots of missed inputs.
Unless that's been fixed... They should detach the UI from the actual action, and simply use the UI as a visual feedback.

EDIT: To be clear, as I last used it, you had to hold down the pad for a moment to wait for the UI to come up and register it... which isn't ideal for putting skills on. If it could register instantly without relying on the BPM UI to "translate" it into inputs that would be MUCH better.
Lower BPM's render res. It'll speed it up dramatically.

Nzyme32

I wish we could see those changes represented visually in real-time...

You can if you use the "controller hud" found in the BPM overlay. It shows you a visualisation of what inputs are detected and shows the difference in dpad layouts

Top Bottom