• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Widge

My 2y.o. lad displayed much pleasure when he pressed the Steam button on it and the I AM TURNED ON fanfare played out.

My buddy got this controller and it seems to keep disconnecting when we play Rocket League. He didn't say if it affected other games, but he still has Steam Big Picture control, it just stops responding in game.

Anyone else with this issue have any advice?

Jams775

My buddy got this controller and it seems to keep disconnecting when we play Rocket League. He didn't say if it affected other games, but he still has Steam Big Picture control, it just stops responding in game.

Anyone else with this issue have any advice?

Has he tried calibrating it? I don't know if that'd help but it'd be worth a try.

edit: and also try plugging it in so it's wired and see if it still has issues.

deleted

I haven't used the controller with games in a while - after getting home after christmas I tried using it with my steam link and all of a sudden there are problems coming up.

First the Link didn't recognize my controller profile. I had to go to my PC, connect it with the cable and delete the old profile.

Unrelated to that I can't seem to easily switch between profiles anymore. Everytime I want to use a community profile the controller stops working in games. I doesn't switch to the new controls in the overlay either - just to some generic bindings. I somehow got it to download a new binding set for Torchlight and Chaos Reborn, but to get it working in the games, I have to try and upload it to my own set of bindings. I can't change anymore to other sets though. Very frustrating issue...

Been trying to stick with the controller and having decent results. Played about half of the witcher 3 with it, all of D4 (had to change the right trackpad from camera to joystick as qtes were impossible otherwise), and now playing Ryse with it.

Between its excellent battery life and how adaptable it is for just about every type of game and genre, I can see myself retiring my 360 pad in the near future

dk_

Since the latest update I can't turn off the rumble when I use my left analog stick. When I set haptics intensity from low to off I still have that tiny click every time I use the left stick.

How can I turn it off? I'm talking about Steam Big Picture Mode.

Dinjoralo

I think I'm going to use Hard Reset to really help myself get the hang of using this for games meant mainly for keyboard and mouse. That seems like a good game, heavily dependent on the mouse but otherwise not using too many buttons.

Lagamorph

Think I'm just gonna sell my Steam Controller. I haven't even picked it up since before Christmas and have slipped back to my Xbox controller.

I've tried tweaking the config endlessly, I've tried community profile after community profile on over a dozen different games, but the touch pad just isn't as good as an analogue stick. I can't get the same kind of accuracy and end up having to make lots of larger movements rather than a single movement. Small movements of my thumb from the middle of the pad don't seem to register no matter what the sensitivity is set to, and the gyro controls vary wildly between being a hindrance and a (very minor) help.

Outside of games like Civilisation where a mouse is absolutely required, this thing is just inferior to an Xbox pad in every single way.

Lagamorph

How much?

In the UK CEX are offering £29 cash for them, along with £23 for the Link.
Sure it's an overall loss of £27, but it could be a lot worse really.

I've not actually tried out my Link yet, just had it out of the box to take a look, though I've read more than a few reviews that it doesn't do the job particularly well, especially with Nvidia hardware, and drops in quality are pretty common. A few people have mentioned to me that the Nvidia Shield does a significantly better job, plus it comes with an analogue stick controller. Down side is that the cheapest I've seen it is £130.

Nabs

Think I'm just gonna sell my Steam Controller. I haven't even picked it up since before Christmas and have slipped back to my Xbox controller.

I've tried tweaking the config endlessly, I've tried community profile after community profile on over a dozen different games, but the touch pad just isn't as good as an analogue stick. I can't get the same kind of accuracy and end up having to make lots of larger movements rather than a single movement. Small movements of my thumb from the middle of the pad don't seem to register no matter what the sensitivity is set to, and the gyro controls vary wildly between being a hindrance and a (very minor) help.

Outside of games like Civilisation where a mouse is absolutely required, this thing is just inferior to an Xbox pad in every single way.

That doesn't sound right. Are you sure you're using Mouse Joystick (or just Mouse) rather than the other Joystick ones?

Anyone tried this with GTAV? I have it set up to be mostly controller inputs with a mouse input for the right trackpad and gyro, but I have this issue where any time any kind of mouse input is entered while I'm reversing in a car, my character will rapidly pull out and put away their gun. Also, it randomly turns on recording and action replay for reasons I can't discern.

Lagamorph

That doesn't sound right. Are you sure you're using Mouse Joystick (or just Mouse) rather than the other Joystick ones?
I've tried them all. And then of course you've got the problem of some games not even supporting certain input methods that are (supposedly) more accurate.

Dang, I'm sorry it didn't grab you Laga. I can't imagine ever going back to an Xbox pad.
I gave it more than every opportunity but it just didn't work for me. I think the Steam Controller is one of those things that is either going to click for you right away or never going to click at all. If you have to try and force yourself through an adjustment period, then you're almost certainly never going to be completely comfortable with it.

Anno

Can anyone recommend a small, simple game that works well with this? I love the way it feels and works, but I haven't used a controller of any sort since 2006 and the only game I have that really works well with it is Bioshock:Infinite which just feels super difficult to get into after not using a controller for so long.

Can anyone recommend a small, simple game that works well with this? I love the way it feels and works, but I haven't used a controller of any sort since 2006 and the only game I have that really works well with it is Bioshock:Infinite which just feels super difficult to get into after not using a controller for so long.

I don't like the way Infinite feels at all. It has a weird kind of delay/acceleration that other games with mouse input just don't have.

I kinda enjoyed Rogue Warrior? It allows pad+mouse and you can beat it in a few hours. You can get used to mouse or gyro aiming while hearing Micky Rourke slag off some Russians, not bad for like $3? Better game would be Hard Reset

Foxyone

I think Minecraft works pretty well tbh. B button for inventory, left pad for inventory touch menu, and gyro to quickly aim around whatever you're mining; I really like the feel of it.

Lay it on a level surface for a few seconds, should recalibrate itself and get rid of the drift/other issues automatically. If not then under controller options you could try to force a recalibration manually.

thats annoying. should be able to map it to a button :(

Anno

I don't like the way Infinite feels at all. It has a weird kind of delay/acceleration that other games with mouse input just don't have.

I kinda enjoyed Rogue Warrior? It allows pad+mouse and you can beat it in a few hours. You can get used to mouse or gyro aiming while hearing Micky Rourke slag off some Russians, not bad for like $3? Better game would be Hard Reset

I think Minecraft works pretty well tbh. B button for inventory, left pad for inventory touch menu, and gyro to quickly aim around whatever you're mining; I really like the feel of it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I also found that Bastion works great, and it's a good excuse for play that through for the first time in a long time.

Dinjoralo

Yeah, Hard Reset works wonders. It's even good with simultaneous keyboard/xinput, props to Flying Wild Hog.

I wish there were more sliders for settings rather than just drop-down menus. Like trackball friction and acceleration.

I'd really like there to be an option to specify which joystick mouse joystick is outputting as (unless there is and I'm just missing it).

Like, I want to have gyro set up properly and still have gamepad prompts in Resident Evil 4 (so no kb/m controls). But having Gyro set to joystick move or camera on the left stick just makes the aim go absolutely crazy and aim up and to the left. And since aiming is on the left stick, mouse joystick doesn't really work.

At this point I might just mod the PC prompts into being doubles of the 360 prompts if I can. This is annoying.

Fess

When will it be available in Scandinavia?
Is it not available any longer? I'm located in Sweden and ordered mine through Steam Store, got it back in october including the Steam Link. It was preordered for the official launch though, not sure if that matters.

Edit: It currently says on the store page that the estimated delivery is between january 11-17

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My problem: I hate using sticks to aim when a mouse is an option. On the other hand, in third person games I also prefer analogue player control over keys. I like using touch pad aiming, and put hours into Metroid Prime: Hunters on the DS for this reason. So, would the Steam Controller be a decent solution for someone who wants precision aiming like with a pad/trackball over sticks, but still full analogue control over the player avatar?

Also, is it locked to Steam, or could I use it in a game from say Origin?

Unai

My problem: I hate using sticks to aim when a mouse is an option. On the other hand, in third person games I also prefer analogue player control over keys. I like using touch pad aiming, and put hours into Metroid Prime: Hunters on the DS for this reason. So, would the Steam Controller be a decent solution for someone who wants precision aiming like with a pad/trackball over sticks, but still full analogue control over the player avatar?

A lot of games do that amazingly well, like Saint Rows IV. Every button in the Steam Controller, including the analog stick, would be exactly like playing with a xbox 360 controller. The right trackpad would then be recognized as a mouse. You can see which games do that even without buying the controller. Just plug your xbox 360 controller and move around using the left stick and try to use your mouse at the same time.

But some other games don't play well when you mix mouse and gamepad controls, like Fallout 4. In those games there's a setting called Mouse Joystick that tries to emulate mouse movement and although it's not as precise as a mouse, IMO, is much better than aimg with a real analog stick, but your mileage may vary.

It does work in non steam games, origin, uPlay, etc. You can even use it in emulators like dolphin and use the right trackpad to emulate the wii remote's pointer.

alerus

Neo Member
That's an interesting idea. Theycould just add a checkbox in the advanced joystick settings, "reset to center" which you can turn off for applications where you don't want the joystick to have a spring. Mouse Joystick would make it possible to swipe on the pad to set the joystick's position (as long as they give us back the Sensitivity setting), or using Joystick Move mode you could just press the pad where you want it to stick.

And letting the scroll wheel mode output as a joystick value would work for this, too. Give us a setting for the increment/decrement per tick, and maybe make it beep instead of clicking when you try to go above/below the extents of the stick.

Exactly!

CaLe

Anyone else unable to edit the controller's configuration with the latest beta ? I try importing a community profile, but it doesn't seem to be applied.

This is for a non-steam game.

atr0cious

Strider is my current pickup and play game with the steam controller. I have my favorite bindings on it:
x4yHU1e.png
The best part is that light attack is tapping the right pad, and heavy is double tap. Makes the game play like a blast.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I tried FEAR with the top community config (with slight tweaks) and I'm just having trouble doing well with it. I do OK but I find myself getting killed more than I'd like. In general I'm finding myself having trouble doing well with the controller in relation to FPS.

I think the controller itself is great and I'm more annoyed at myself for not getting as used to it as I should, for faster paced FPS especially. It just makes me go back to m/kb or a normal joypad and I do better with either of those.

I'll keep plugging away at it though, I won't be using the controller for everything but it certainly has its place amongst my collection.

Nabs

Just wondering, are you on the beta or stable client? I think I have top config over on the beta (just made it public on stable), and just wanted to know.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Just wondering, are you on the beta or stable client? I think I have top config over on the beta (just made it public on stable), and just wanted to know.

Normal client for me at the minute. I never tend to bother with the beta client, the one I was using has 33 people on it I think.

The settings are so confusing to me, haha.

I just want to set up Torchlight 2, so that basically right trigger does nothing until I click it, but then after its clicked, even a soft/partial pull of that trigger does left click.

help!

edit: I found a control profile that someone made with joystick control, its pretty good.

But I would still like to know how I could do this, haha.

I can't get the same kind of accuracy and end up having to make lots of larger movements rather than a single movement. Small movements of my thumb from the middle of the pad don't seem to register no matter what the sensitivity is set to...

I had this issue too, and it went away when I set smoothing to 10 in the trackpad's advanced settings. Haven't had any issues with touchpad deadzones since. I recommend you give it a try if you haven't sold your controller already. Valve set it way too high by default, and I feel this is what deters a lot of people from the trackpad in their early experiences with it.

Jinkies

Still can't turn the controller off by holding the Steam button, it's driving me insane. I've tried both the current beta and stable.
Place it on a flat surface and hold the button. I think it's a bug where the gyro is being interpreted as input, which interrupts the shutdown sequence?

Oreoleo

Man this controller just keeps getting better and better.

Similar to the gyro where I initially had the settings wrong and didn't "get it" at first, I thought the mouse dampening was just an additional smoothing option so I kind of ignored it. But seeing others in here talking about it made me realize it's more of an ADS sensitivity toggle and using it has been a REVELATION. It's SO MUCH easier to track enemies while shooting in FPS games now. Can't believe it took me 3 months to realize this.

LilJoka

In the UK CEX are offering £29 cash for them, along with £23 for the Link.
Sure it's an overall loss of £27, but it could be a lot worse really.

I've not actually tried out my Link yet, just had it out of the box to take a look, though I've read more than a few reviews that it doesn't do the job particularly well, especially with Nvidia hardware, and drops in quality are pretty common. A few people have mentioned to me that the Nvidia Shield does a significantly better job, plus it comes with an analogue stick controller. Down side is that the cheapest I've seen it is £130.

Are you close to Heathrow?

Durante

Yes. It's not a mouse, but it's far more precise than a thumbstick. I play every game with camera control on the Steam controller now (with the right pad in trackball mode with low friction).

I haven't tried it yet, but as I understand it you can use it with any executable as long as you launch it from Steam.

Anyone plan to play Dragon Dogma with the SC?

Do you think that buying it for that game makes some kind of sense?
As I said, I now play every game with camera control on the Steam controller, so yeah, that includes DD. It should work particularly well since it also has that new hotkey feature which you should be able to make use of with the back paddles, and since it supports simultaneous mouse/gamepad inputs.

Yeah since mouse joystick was implemented there is pretty much no reason to use any other controller on PC for generic dual stick input games. Well, when it works - that is. Booting non-Steam games that have stupid launchers in front of them and other stuff like that is a complete crapshoot. Sometimes it works fine, other times it doesn't work at all and just registers your desktop binds when you finally end up in-game. Unfortunately, binding your desktop stuff to xinput gamepad bindings doesn't work at all, ever. Not sure what's up with that, but Valve should definitely implement a working desktop xinput mode where Windows just recognizes it as a 360 controller. Would solve a huge amount of issues where a work-around is required.

As I said, I now play every game with camera control on the Steam controller, so yeah, that includes DD. It should work particularly well since it also has that new hotkey feature which you should be able to make use of with the back paddles, and since it supports simultaneous mouse/gamepad inputs.

I'm probably gonna bite then, thanks

Top Bottom