• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

What the heck does that mean? And I can't figure it out from clicking on the binding because it shows nothing.
Those are mode shifts on other buttons. So you have to look at the buttons they change instead.

So my best guess is:
L Trigger becomes Trigger (I assume the non+Q version)
Gyro becomes Mouse (probably turns the gyro on)
and the other one doesn't look like a shift, so maybe it also acts as a Left Bumper when pressed?

So, maybe this game has a menu on the left bumper that you can use the gyro and trigger to point and click on?

DeVeAn

Finally got one after a few hours, it's not for me. The type of games I play work best with Xbox one or ps4 controller.

I respect the idea of the controller but I can't use face buttons place inward how it is here. The steam link though is fantastic. Will Xbox one controller work it?

terrible

Banned
Finally got one after a few hours, it's not for me. The type of games I play work best with Xbox one or ps4 controller.

I respect the idea of the controller but I can't use face buttons place inward how it is here. The steam link though is fantastic. Will Xbox one controller work it?

What kind of games are you playing?

A few hours isn't enough time to get over the learning curve. Your brain is probably still fighting it at that point and there's a lot of ways you can configure it to work well with each game. Believe it or not I'm even used to the face buttons now. It feels natural.

What the Steam controller is: A superior way to play most games with a controller.
What the Steam controller isn't: A controller you can master right away. A controller you can usually just pick up and play without tinkering with settings.

If you don't feel it's worth your time getting used to it I understand, that's fair. I do feel confident that you could grow to love it if you were willing to work for it though.

DeVeAn

What kind of games are you playing?

A few hours isn't enough time to get over the learning curve. Your brain is probably still fighting it at that point and there's a lot of ways you can configure it to work well with each game. Believe it or not I'm even used to the face buttons now. It feels natural.

What the Steam controller is: A superior way to play most games with a controller.
What the Steam controller isn't: A controller you can master right away. A controller you can usually just pick up and play without tinkering with settings.

If you don't feel it's worth your time getting used to it I understand, that's fair. I do feel confident that you could grow to love it if you were willing to work for it though.
Sonic, Dark Souls, Batman. Basically console games. I like playing the best versions of said games.

Don't get me wrong it works just not for me. My right thumb can't reach the face buttons comfortably.
I have the same issue with Wii U Pro controller.

Can anyone check the configs uploaded for Witcher 3 and see if any of them improve upon this config with the new features that have since been added to the controller?

...Also, would anyone mind catching me up on some of the features that have been added in the last couple months? I've been out of the loop for a while.

Mikeside

Just got mine & I love how it feels but obviously the learning curve is huge.

Are there obvious recommendations on games with great profiles to get acquainted with this thing?

Ideally, I'd love to use it to play strategy games, Pillars of Eternity, The Witcher 3, MGS V and The Old Republic.

This thing makes me want simultaneous keyboard+mouse and gamepad support for all games. Bethesda's games seem clunky because they lack dual support.

So far playing rebel galaxy, pillars of eternity, divinity original sin and cities skylines with community bindings and its working great.

Had to force myself to use the steam controller for about a week and a half before it finally clicked and now it feels much better than Xbox one or the 360 pad for all games.

Making bindings, mode shifts, and changing how the track pad works seem daunting, but when you find a community profile that is almost right and you change one thing at a time it's not so bad. This level of customization feels great.

SirBaron

Banned
I play console games and it works fine, it just takes getting used to. If you also play fps games, or games that require mouse and keyboard it's certainly worth getting.

Also should be able to finally play mass effect with proper controller controls.

So, anyone have issues using this thing with Far Cry 4? I played almost 20 hours with it, then midgame all my inputs stopped responding and I was stuck with controller prompts. Launching the game with no controller connected is still giving me gamepad prompts (no visible mouse cursor in menus).

Googling it, it seems like it's not just a Steam controller problem but a general gamepad problem? Deleting the config files for FC4 I could find didn't seem to do squat, so I dunno what suddenly triggered this behavior.

Plus side, I guess now I could use KB/M controls with gamepad button prompts? lol

Edit: Might be time to fight for some kind of refund, the game is completely unplayable now. I'm stuck looking slowly to the right, controller prompts are stuck on, no controllers work. KB/M works but doesn't fix the drifting. And here I thought it was the steam controller's fault at first.

Edit 2: Okay, weird false alarm, getting out of and then back into the client beta fixed the problem.

AlanOC91

Is there any way to get a game to think this is 100% an Xbox 360 controller?

For Lethal League, when I connect my steam controller and two Xbox 360 controllers, the steam controller takes over the first and second player and the third player (third xbox 360 controller) doesn't even work.

If I take the Steam controller out and add a third xbox 360 controller then it all works fine.

I tried the joypad default profile but that didn't seem to fix the issue for me.

terrible

Banned
Sonic, Dark Souls, Batman. Basically console games. I like playing the best versions of said games.

Don't get me wrong it works just not for me. My right thumb can't reach the face buttons comfortably.
I have the same issue with Wii U Pro controller.

I didn't think I would but I got used to the face buttons personally.

Is there a good control scheme for GTA 5 yet? I've tried to come up with something, but it seems like it just hates the Steam Controller.

Widge

It does feel like the pad is geared up for using the touchpads, shoulders and underside triggers more than the face buttons.

I've got a simple rule however. If the game is adapted for Xbox One controller use (got that and an adapter through this week and is glorious) then that is what I use. I played through Bioshock Infinite, Deus Ex, Skyrim, Fallout, Final Fantasy and more on that and it's just fine.

However, if there is no viable Xbox pad option or the implementation of it is a bit shit (I remember trying L4D on Xbox pad and it was a horror show), then the Steampad comes into play.

shockdude

Got a Steam Controller for my self for Christmas, and it's pretty cool. Probably my favorite thing about it is the ability to play games that use a separate launcher without having to get up from my chair.

Currently experimenting with the DPAD settings for shmups. I haven't yet found something that I'm comfortable with, either I go diagonally by accident or the deadzone is too big or etc.
I can tell it has potential. It would have been nice to have more physical feedback on where the center of the DPAD is with an indentation or something, but oh well.

TheRed

I've been having a lot of trouble in games since yesterday with steam overlay not showing up in some games, and the controller configuration for games not loading. Sucks because I was addicted to building my city in cities skylines using the controller and don't want to go back to KB/M. Only thing that loads controller profile correctly is Witcher 3.

Aww man does opting out of the steam beta affect configs? I don't see any of my personal configs anymore which really sucks.

Yea it does, joined beta again and now they're there. I still can't fix my problem with overlay not showing up in most games and all I get is the desktop profile in game.

Nzyme32

Got a Steam Controller for my self for Christmas, and it's pretty cool. Probably my favorite thing about it is the ability to play games that use a separate launcher without having to get up from my chair.

Currently experimenting with the DPAD settings for shmups. I haven't yet found something that I'm comfortable with, either I go diagonally by accident or the deadzone is too big or etc.
I can tell it has potential. It would have been nice to have more physical feedback on where the center of the DPAD is with an indentation or something, but oh well.

Try messing with the dpad layout options and deadzone some more to see what works for you. I recently changed to the dpad layout to "cross gate", which is basically a layout with a square deadzone and directions matching the dpad indentations. It means you will be less likely to press diagonals based on the size of the deadzone. I found it works really really well, but I still haven't had enough time to properly give it a go and mess with it due to other commitments.

terrible

Banned
I've been having a lot of trouble in games since yesterday with steam overlay not showing up in some games, and the controller configuration for games not loading. Sucks because I was addicted to building my city in cities skylines using the controller and don't want to go back to KB/M. Only thing that loads controller profile correctly is Witcher 3.

Aww man does opting out of the steam beta affect configs? I don't see any of my personal configs anymore which really sucks.

Yea it does, joined beta again and now they're there. I still can't fix my problem with overlay not showing up in most games and all I get is the desktop profile in game.

Did you recently install fraps, rivatuner, or something similar? Both of those mess with the ability to use the overlay in a lot of games for me so I have to close them before opening games.

Finally decided to commit to using the Steam Controller for my Witcher 3 playthrough. My 360 controller has stick drift on BOTH sticks, my Razer Sabertooth is good but not my favorite, and my PS4 controller I didn't like needing to use the touch pad as the start button and I find the sticks a little uncomfortable when I'm pushing up on it all the time running around.

I don't like the emulated mouse joystick look, but thankfully this is one of the few gamepad games I've tried that seamlessly switches between mouse and gamepad without breaking.

Having used the controller for a good dozen hours or more, I do like it a lot, but I wish the face buttons were better. They feel really tiny and a little too pointy so they aren't the most comfortable I've used. Their position also messes me up occasionally. I find myself pressing the Y button thinking it's the X button (why is my regular attack going so slow!? Haha).

I don't really know how they could fix the buttons with a new model. Maybe put more buttons on the bottom of the controller so I don't need to move off of the touch pad, or maybe let me switch the position of the buttons and the right touch pad (would mind that for stick and the dead either).

Crayon

I feel like the steam controlle's touch pads do a good job of emulating mouse, thumbstick and especially dpad. However, I find it lacking when set to emulate a diamond of face buttons.

I've tried to get used to "invisible buttons' and messed around with the settings quite a bit. I went all the way thru freedom planet with the best settings I could figure out, but at at some point I was no longer getting better at using touchpad buttons, but seemingly running into their limitations.

The best was for me so far has been to set the right touch pad to dpad, and no click required. I find the standard button emulation to be critically flawed where as dpad feels way better. So far, I have tried "requires click" very little, preferring the low effort and quiet operation of touch-only. But have been epxerimenting with requires click lately and I do findl there is a certain advantage to accuracy when using it.

This morning I had a new idea and so far it works very well. With this mode shifting method, you can feel around on the pad for the button you want, and them press it.
This can be used for emulatin face buttons or dpad. I will give an example of how to set it up.

For the right pad to emulate face buttons.

Set the right pad to dpad, and not click required. Leave the haptics on. Bind all for directions to a dummy key that has no function in your game such as "[" for freedom planet.

Now go into that touchpads mode shifitn menu and set it to a dpad, with "right touchpad click" as the activating button. Now map the face buttons to this dpad.

Now, you can rest your thumb on the right touchpad, and feel around for the haptic click of the dummy keys, then click to actually press the button.

I have uploaded three examples. In both, I actually let the left and right inputs be live on the touch dpad, while making the up and down dummy keys and requiring a click.

I have uploaded examples for Volgar the Viking, Gigantinc Army, And Freedom Planet. All are named "Invisible Gamepad Experiment". Catuion on Freedom Planet: I may have uplaoded ont called "invisible gamepad" or invisible genesis controller back when the controller just came out. These examples all have "Experiment" in the name.

Let me know if you guys like this because I think valve should ad the option to use haptics to feel for buttons without using this complex setup.

*edit: uploaded this config for They Bleed Pixels.

shockdude

I feel like the steam controlle's touch pads do a good job of emulating mouse, thumbstick and especially dpad. However, I find it lacking when set to emulate a diamond of face buttons.

I've tried to get used to "invisible buttons' and messed around with the settings quite a bit. I went all the way thru freedom planet with the best settings I could figure out, but at at some point I was no longer getting better at using touchpad buttons, but seemingly running into their limitations.

The best was for me so far has been to set the right touch pad to dpad, and no click required. I find the standard button emulation to be critically flawed where as dpad feels way better. So far, I have tried "requires click" very little, preferring the low effort and quiet operation of touch-only. But have been epxerimenting with requires click lately and I do findl there is a certain advantage to accuracy when using it.

This morning I had a new idea and so far it works very well. With this mode shifting method, you can feel around on the pad for the button you want, and them press it.
This can be used for emulatin face buttons or dpad. I will give an example of how to set it up.

For the right pad to emulate face buttons.

Set the right pad to dpad, and not click required. Leave the haptics on. Bind all for directions to a dummy key that has no function in your game such as "[" for freedom planet.

Now go into that touchpads mode shifitn menu and set it to a dpad, with "right touchpad click" as the activating button. Now map the face buttons to this dpad.

Now, you can rest your thumb on the right touchpad, and feel around for the haptic click of the dummy keys, then click to actually press the button.

I have uploaded three examples. In both, I actually let the left and right inputs be live on the touch dpad, while making the up and down dummy keys and requiring a click.

I have uploaded examples for Volgar the Viking, Gigantinc Army, And Freedom Planet. All are named "Invisible Gamepad Experiment". Catuion on Freedom Planet: I may have uplaoded ont called "invisible gamepad" or invisible genesis controller back when the controller just came out. These examples all have "Experiment" in the name.

Let me know if you guys like this because I think valve should ad the option to use haptics to feel for buttons without using this complex setup.

*edit: uploaded this config for They Bleed Pixels.
oh man that's genius. This should also work with the standard DPAD emulation, and it might be what I'm looking for. Will give it a shot later.

edit: Adding dummy haptics to the DPAD helps a bit, but I'm still not able to use the Steam Controller's DPAD with confidence. For both radial & cross gate, too small a deadzone makes me press diagonals by accident, and too large a deadzone makes rolling my thumb in a circle not register all the way. It honestly feels like I have the precision of an analog stick instead of a proper DPAD.
I'm testing the DPAD with a bunch of games, including Jigoku Kisetsukan, a free bullet hell game on Steam. Is anyone able to beat the first few stages with confidence, and if so what are your settings?
ss_dada7d7e2be665e5b1c99a378f3875881e60261a.1920x1080.jpg
Edit 2: Welp, the DPAD finally clicked with me, and it actually feels pretty decent. Cross-gate, deadzone 6 notches left of the default, no need for dummy haptics.

Azax

Anyone knows why Left 4 Dead 2 with mouse feels like 30 fps when moving around?
Mouse joystick feels more smoother for some reason...

terrible

Banned
Is it just me or can you actually have your thumb 1-2mm away from touching the dpad touchpad and still have it count as a button push? Kind of freaky but cool. Is it heat activated or something?

I've got a simple rule however. If the game is adapted for Xbox One controller use (got that and an adapter through this week and is glorious) then that is what I use. I played through Bioshock Infinite, Deus Ex, Skyrim, Fallout, Final Fantasy and more on that and it's just fine.

How anyone can play games that feature aiming with an analog stick after learning to use the Steam Controller's touchpad is beyond me. There's no comparison. Have you tried Mouse Joystick?

deejay

I'm still having a hard time to adjust: Torchlight 2 was supposed to be playable from the start with a decent profile, but it's terrible. Literally terrible.
Same goes for Metal Gear Solid V. Portal 2's config froze the controller and I had to restart Steam in order to be able to get it to work again.

If you played these games with a controller and mouse and keyboard and then try the Steam Controller afterwards then it will take weeks of practice to learn it properly and dare I say that some people will never ever get used to it.

I've tried to create my own profile for Torchlight 2 but after messing around for about an hour or so I still didn't have anything to work it. Some parts worked, other parts I couldn't get to work (at least, not the way I wanted them to). All I wanted was a profile similar to Diablo 3's console version, but that just seems impossible (unless the game has proper support for those kind of things, but Torchlight 2 just doesn't it seems).

I also have a hard time because the right pad is very slow in moving the camera (yes I know about the trackball function and I'm not referring to that). I know you can adjust the settings for these, but still, as far as I can tell they can't match the analog stick of my Xbox One controller.

Recommend me some games please that might give me better results, because I'm close to selling it.

Miff

Nice to know it's not just me, the comments on that Steam thread suggest the beta client might have some fixes for it? I'm gonna try it out, though it was pretty broken the last time I did.

edit: alright, the beta has a new tool for testing the buttons, if i press the right trigger and release it then this is the default controller state on that page

I doubt this help anyone as it seems to be a rare issue, but regarding the problem me & Randdalf have been having (controller sometimes continuing to send input commands ever after thumb lifted off controls). I've been able to workaround it by disabling haptics completely and (in my case) disabling the touch pads [requires click = on]. Unfortunately Support think the pad itself is probably faulty and I'm gonna have to exchange, but.... I'm still a believer :)!

----

Also nice job Crayon - I'd love to feel buttons on the pads and look forward to trying this when I get my pad back.

shockdude

Is there a way to create a Steam Controller profile that can be applied to multiple games? Kind of like the default gamepad templates, except custom.

derFeef

What should I do when I get a loading loop when I enter Controller Configuration for a game?
Restart/Reboot etc. did not help...

deleted

I'm still having a hard time to adjust: Torchlight 2 was supposed to be playable from the start with a decent profile, but it's terrible. Literally terrible.
Same goes for Metal Gear Solid V. Portal 2's config froze the controller and I had to restart Steam in order to be able to get it to work again.

If you played these games with a controller and mouse and keyboard and then try the Steam Controller afterwards then it will take weeks of practice to learn it properly and dare I say that some people will never ever get used to it.

I've tried to create my own profile for Torchlight 2 but after messing around for about an hour or so I still didn't have anything to work it. Some parts worked, other parts I couldn't get to work (at least, not the way I wanted them to). All I wanted was a profile similar to Diablo 3's console version, but that just seems impossible (unless the game has proper support for those kind of things, but Torchlight 2 just doesn't it seems).

I also have a hard time because the right pad is very slow in moving the camera (yes I know about the trackball function and I'm not referring to that). I know you can adjust the settings for these, but still, as far as I can tell they can't match the analog stick of my Xbox One controller.

Recommend me some games please that might give me better results, because I'm close to selling it.

Get adjusted with a game that doesn't require fast reactions for the start. Try Anno 1404 - not too expensive, no Ubi DRM and very relaxing to play from the couch/with a controller.

Crayon

oh man that's genius. This should also work with the standard DPAD emulation, and it might be what I'm looking for. Will give it a shot later.

Also nice job Crayon - I'd love to feel buttons on the pads and look forward to trying this when I get my pad back.

Thanks for trying it out guys. After a few hours I decided that it's definitely more accurate than touch only. Altho it feels pretty natural, I am still acclimating to physically mashing on the touchpads. One thing I have learned it that the heal of the thumb should be used instead of the tip. The dynamic is different when you have to click instead of touch Here: I'll list off whatever tips I can think of after about 6 hours with the dummy haptics.

1. You can rest your thumb on the pads. instead of hovering over. Considering this critical difference in click vs touch is what gave me the idea for the "dummy haptics" as shockdude calls it.

2. The button input method for the touch pad is critically flawed. The touchpads simply don't work like buttons. However, it does a good emulation of a dpad, because the thumb can be reliably rolled or swiped into the diagonal region, pressing two buttons at once. It's way way harder to hit two invisible round buttons at once. Always set to dpad and map your face buttons to that.

3. The touchpads take a lot of pressure. Maybe too much. But I can say that it gives me fatigue quickly if I use it like I did when set to touch-only. Take the dpad for instance; with touch-only, I would hover my thumb over the pad and tap with the tip. With click required, I am better off resting the heal of my thumb on the pad. When I go off neutral, I mash the pad down with pressure on the heal of my thumb an keep it held down. With the pressure, the thumb is flattened and has a lot of contact and traction. I can roll my thumb around a lot more aggressively like this. I only release the pad to go neutral again. In fact, I'm opening up the deadzone now so I can find neutral with the pad held down.

In short, I'm trying to say that I'm learning to handle the controller with a different style.

4. It makes sense to leave some inputs surfaced on the dummy pad. For instance, the ones I uploaded for volgar and freedom planet have let and right set to touch, and up and down set to dumbies requiring a click. This feel very natural to me perhaps thanks to my habbit of putting extra pressure into diagonals on cross shaped dpads. Any button that is used basically all the time can be surfaced like this and benefit from the zero-pressure, instant response touch button quality.

I'm going to keep experimenting with it but so far it seems to be a definite improvement over the current button methods. I can rest my whole thumb on the pad and feel all the regions bofore pressing them. It give another level of confidence being able to feel the buttons. I lost a life in hammerwatch the other night because I was next to some spikes and I accidentally hit the diagonal! Now I can feel the true direction when it counts. I think valve should implement the option because as of now the setup is clumsy.

And sorry everyone for the brutal typos and that original post being a headache to read. I suppose I was in a hurry. :x I should go back and edit that.

Anyone knows why Left 4 Dead 2 with mouse feels like 30 fps when moving around?
Mouse joystick feels more smoother for some reason...

I absolutely feel games are more framey when using a real mouse compared to a real thumbstick. The touchpad mouse has the same effect. When the touchpad is set to joystick, it feels smoother. I wouldn't mind some explanation for this.

Is it just me or can you actually have your thumb 1-2mm away from touching the dpad touchpad and still have it count as a button push? Kind of freaky but cool. Is it heat activated or something?

I'm pretty sure I've had it register without actually touching. I can't seem to replicate it when I'm looking. Lol. Could be just barely touching it and not noticing...

It took me weeks. And I agree that some people won't be able to get used to it. I've seen a couple people now get it in an hour but most are like me and horrible at first. Some people are going to quit rather than practice. But seeing is believing and when people start showing off how good you can get, some of that will be mitigated.

Right now it's not for everyone. For casuals, the configuration can be way too much. And for veterans, it may be unfairly compared to years of muscle memory with controls they already have.

Is there a way to create a Steam Controller profile that can be applied to multiple games? Kind of like the default gamepad templates, except custom.

I fucking wish. Like, personal templates or something. It's maybe the most needed feature right now.

Nabs

What should I do when I get a loading loop when I enter Controller Configuration for a game?
Restart/Reboot etc. did not help...

I don't think there's a definitive answer. I tried a million things, and it only started to work once I deleted the game (renamed the folder).

impact

Banned
Anyone get it to work with Dolphin properly? The controller works but for example hitting start makes the emulator think you want to quit and some other buttons do things outside of the game as well.

Jinkies

Anyone get it to work with Dolphin properly? The controller works but for example hitting start makes the emulator think you want to quit and some other buttons do things outside of the game as well.
Using this with Dolphin is really popular. There is nothing special you need to do with it compared to other non-Steam apps.

Drain You

Bought this on a whim today when I was in gamestop. Was super excited about it then just sorta lost interest till I saw it today. Gotta say I enjoy the way aiming feels. Played a couple matches of Quake3 and aiming felt precise. I did however have trouble actually turning my character if that makes sense but that may be something I get used to.

Love having the 3 sets of buttons on the back I find it very useful and I sort of expect to see something similar to this on next gen systems instead of paddles.

Booted up Terraria with the official controls and it was an awful trainwreck. I couldn't do it for shit.

Controller isn't for everyone but for what I bought it for I think it is for me. I like tinkering around with things and will def be trying this on a plethora of games and other things.

Oreoleo

Bought this on a whim today when I was in gamestop. Was super excited about it then just sorta lost interest till I saw it today. Gotta say I enjoy the way aiming feels. Played a couple matches of Quake3 and aiming felt precise. I did however have trouble actually turning my character if that makes sense but that may be something I get used to.

Did you use trackball friction at all? I've found setting mouse to trackball mode and setting friction to low to be the best solution for turning around.

You could also set your default sensitivity really high and use mouse dampening with one of the triggers to make aiming more fine-tuned, OR set up a button to act as a mode-shift for the touch pad to make a secondary, high sensitivity (sort of like a reverse dampening). The customization is almost limitless and a large part of what makes the Steam controller so great.

Booted up Terraria with the official controls and it was an awful trainwreck. I couldn't do it for shit.
I haven't tried this feature yet myself but based on what I've read about it, Terraria might be a prime candidate for the 'mouse-region' setting on the right trackpad (or at least as a mode shift). It's a relatively new feature so it hasn't been incorporated into many official or community bindings yet.

Widge

I'd love to see the community config page given a bit of a feature uplift. Sure, you can see how many are using a certain layout but how much of that is herd mentality. Each config really needs ratings and a comment section, plus a nice creator overview. Number of users tells me nothing about the quality of the config itself.

I'd love to see the community config page given a bit of a feature uplift. Sure, you can see how many are using a certain layout but how much of that is herd mentality. Each config really needs ratings and a comment section, plus a nice creator overview. Number of users tells me nothing about the quality of the config itself.
Why can't we search for configs? Why can't we copy a config from one game to another? Why can't we preview configs before using them?

Why does the controller config page randomly take ages to load on occasion?

So many little things.

Those, and I get crazy sporadic framedrops in-game while on the beta client in BPM, as well as weird periods where the client is completely unresponsive.

derFeef

I don't think there's a definitive answer. I tried a million things, and it only started to work once I deleted the game (renamed the folder).

It started to work after a few tries, but it sometimes still takes a few seconds to load on a few games. No idea what is causing it.

That said, I am improving on aiming with Mouse+Gyro, but I need to get rid of my bad habit to aim with strafing (I also do that on my Xbox). And vertical aim is still a problem, it's lile my thumb is stiff when I do not have a stick.

TheRed

Did you recently install fraps, rivatuner, or something similar? Both of those mess with the ability to use the overlay in a lot of games for me so I have to close them before opening games.

Nah I've made sure to not have anything open and still can't get it to show up in most games. Sucks because without it loading profiles for games the controller is pretty much useless. I've even rolled back my nvidia drivers to see if that caused it, but no I can't figure it out.

Nabs

Question: Is there any way to update your public controller config in the beta without making a duplicate?

Question 2: Anyone have any luck with Crysis and BPM? The regular overlay works fine.

It started to work after a few tries, but it sometimes still takes a few seconds to load on a few games. No idea what is causing it.

That said, I am improving on aiming with Mouse+Gyro, but I need to get rid of my bad habit to aim with strafing (I also do that on my Xbox). And vertical aim is still a problem, it's lile my thumb is stiff when I do not have a stick.

I don't think strafe aiming is bad at all, I say use everything you got.

Jisgsaw

Ok, so I have The Witcher 3 from GOG.
Added it as non-Steam game. Any way to get to the community TW3 layouts?
Does the game even play well with Steam Controller?

TheRed

Ok, so I have The Witcher 3 from GOG.
Added it as non-Steam game. Any way to get to the community TW3 layouts?
Does the game even play well with Steam Controller?

I play it with the steam controller and it's great but I just made a custom layout myself.

Oreoleo

I have not used someone else's custom config for a single game since the controller released in October. Finding a quality config amongst a sea of bad ones, and then figuring out what everything is bound to, and tweaking the one or two things that aren't quite the way you want it is just as much if not more of a hassle than making a config yourself from scratch.

The one exception is System Shock 2 cause the touch menu was really nice. But even then I think that's an 'official' config and not something I had to find out of a list. And I still spent 5-10 minutes editing it to my liking.

Azax

Well I tried everything with Left 4 dead 2 but it's completly broken for me.
Mouse feels laggy and Gyro is even worse. They should fix this quick because I got the game with the controller and this is not a good start I can say...

Top Bottom