• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Drain You

Did you use trackball friction at all? I've found setting mouse to trackball mode and setting friction to low to be the best solution for turning around.

You could also set your default sensitivity really high and use mouse dampening with one of the triggers to make aiming more fine-tuned, OR set up a button to act as a mode-shift for the touch pad to make a secondary, high sensitivity (sort of like a reverse dampening). The customization is almost limitless and a large part of what makes the Steam controller so great.

I haven't tried this feature yet myself but based on what I've read about it, Terraria might be a prime candidate for the 'mouse-region' setting on the right trackpad (or at least as a mode shift). It's a relatively new feature so it hasn't been incorporated into many official or community bindings yet.

This is exactly what I mean. There is so much to tinker with this controller, even on a game to game basis. I'll Def be trying your suggestions. I'd love to get the Terraria controls down anand use em to replay through Starbound. Again, thanks for you're advice.

Also I've been using the controller as my only input on my surface pro 3 hooked up to my tv and it feels great.

Fess

Ok, so I have The Witcher 3 from GOG.
Added it as non-Steam game. Any way to get to the community TW3 layouts?
Does the game even play well with Steam Controller?
I actually went back to the 360 controller, I think I'm too used to dual analogs, never got the touch pad camera controls to feel right and I didn't like that it was so difficult to pan the camera smoothly.

So I tried this on Mac with Left 4 Dead 2. The top official profile wouldn't work in game at all. So I loaded the standard controller preset which worked. The issue I then had was the right trackpad. If I moved in it lightly it was too slow but further to the edge it was going far too quick.

What setting do i need to have the right stick on to emulate a traditional stick? Or is this just a new learning experience?

shockdude

So I tried this on Mac with Left 4 Dead 2. The top official profile wouldn't work in game at all. So I loaded the standard controller preset which worked. The issue I then had was the right trackpad. If I moved in it lightly it was too slow but further to the edge it was going far too quick.

What setting do i need to have the right stick on to emulate a traditional stick? Or is this just a new learning experience?
Sounds like the right touchpad is already emulating a traditional stick, which is why it's so weird to use.
What you really want is for the right touchpad to emulate a mouse/trackball. This is what the "Recommended" profile should do; you sure it doesn't work?
Maybe try the "Gamepad with Camera Controls" preset.

terrible

Banned
Nah I've made sure to not have anything open and still can't get it to show up in most games. Sucks because without it loading profiles for games the controller is pretty much useless. I've even rolled back my nvidia drivers to see if that caused it, but no I can't figure it out.

That sucks. Valve really needs to sort out their software. It's kind of a mess.

I think what they really need to do is just stop requiring BPM and the overlay for full functionality. As it is now though there are just too many things that can go wrong and basically cripple your controller.

Sounds like the right touchpad is already emulating a traditional stick, which is why it's so weird to use.
What you really want is for the right touchpad to emulate a mouse/trackball. This is what the "Recommended" profile should do; you sure it doesn't work?
Maybe try the "Gamepad with Camera Controls" preset.

What it initially was seemed to be laggy, it seemed like the game was stuttering that's why I changed it to joystick. I'll try the trackball tomorrow. Everything else seems to work great though.

Is the controller software buggy on a Mac? I can't understand why the most popular control scheme wouldn't work at all. All that seemed to happen was pressing the left pad would bring up a vote window to kick people.

Nabs

New Beta Update:

Steam Controller
  • Fixed Gyro not working in certain streaming scenarios
  • Added New Export Save System. Unifies and simplifies exporting configurations. You can now more easily browse and save Private and Public configurations, including replacing/editing existing configurations.
  • Added Exporting new Configuration Templates for often used configuration defaults.
  • Added Browsing/Importing of all games configurations from any game. Useful for when you made the perfect setup in a sequel or similar game and want to use the same config as a base or verbatim.
  • Improved responsiveness of the configurator when loading personal bindings
  • Publishing a new community configuration now requires you to have played with the configuration for at least an hour.

I should just bold the entire thing.

Crayon

New Beta Update:

Steam Controller
  • Added New Export Save System. Unifies and simplifies exporting configurations. You can now more easily browse and save Private and Public configurations, including replacing/editing existing configurations.
  • Added Exporting new Configuration Templates for often used configuration defaults.
  • Added Browsing/Importing of all games configurations from any game. Useful for when you made the perfect setup in a sequel or similar game and want to use the same config as a base or verbatim.
  • Publishing a new community configuration now requires you to have played with the configuration for at least an hour.

Wow. Seeya guys. I'm going to check that shit out right now.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Whoa. Can't wait to check out the changes.

The hour requirement is an interesting way to cut down on some of the quick, dirty, and uninteresting control schemes.

viveks86

New Beta Update:

Steam Controller

It's like they are using this thread to prioritize items for their next patch. Nice!

Nice changes...NOW LET ME TURN OFF MY FUCKING CONTROLLER ON THE DESKTOP AGAIN, PLEASE. When I hold my button for 10 seconds, I don't want them to delay bringing Steam into focus for 10 seconds, I want to turn off my damn controller. It's been like this for weeks. Holiday is over. Fix it already.

Boxuv

Neo Member
Nice changes...NOW LET ME TURN OFF MY FUCKING CONTROLLER ON THE DESKTOP AGAIN, PLEASE. When I hold my button for 10 seconds, I don't want them to delay bringing Steam into focus for 10 seconds, I want to turn off my damn controller. It's been like this for weeks. Holiday is over. Fix it already.

Lay the controller on the table and hold button. Otherwise gyro will pick up tiny movements, count as input and reset the 10 second counter.

Oreoleo

Did they change the location of the controller config files? Everything I see on Google suggests there should be a "controller_base" folder in my Steam folder but those are from a few months ago before they changed the export process and I'm not seeing that folder anywhere.

Are they even saved locally anymore? I've been editing my MGS5 config a lot over the past few days and every single one shows up in my list of "other game" configs, I want to delete all but the most recent but there aren't any time stamps or anything on them in BPM.

New Beta Update:

Steam Controller

sweet update.

sidenote: hey Nabs you remember posting a link to a video about a guy who played Dying Light with a custom steam controller config that was amazing for traversal and stuff? I cant find the video in my youtube history and I remember he commented on it saying he'd post the config online after his vacation. I'd like to DL it since I just got dying light during the sale and my 360 controller setup isn't ideal for traversal.

Nabs

sweet update.

sidenote: hey Nabs you remember posting a link to a video about a guy who played Dying Light with a custom steam controller config that was amazing for traversal and stuff? I cant find the video in my youtube history and I remember he commented on it saying he'd post the config online after his vacation. I'd like to DL it since I just got dying light during the sale and my 360 controller setup isn't ideal for traversal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWpAF-nQEpE here's the video. I think he's still away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWpAF-nQEpE here's the video. I think he's still away.

Thanks bro. Dang it I wish he wasnt still away, I really wanted to try out that setup he had. I could just replicate his control setup but... the sensitivity wouldn't be exactly like his setup so it could vary greatly in the final feel of it.

On the bright side, in the comments it seems someone copied his config and posted it to the community 2 days ago, I'll have to see if I can find it. :)

Oreoleo

Best new hidden feature: "Do not show again" check box on the Windows compatibility dialogue box that pops up when launching BPM.

Baleoce

BritGAF, do Parcel Force fulfill Steam Controller shipments on Saturdays? I can see through the tracking that mines at my local depot now.

EDIT - Nvm, just looked it up. "Express24" doesn't cover Saturdays, and would require an extra £7.50 to cover it. Monday it is.

Oreoleo

Lol every time I push the left pad in steam music starts playing :) interesting bug
Is that what was happening???

Was playing Rocket League earlier and seemingly at random ...And Justice For All would start playing. Guess it was happening every time I spammed Wow! and What a save! Couldn't figure it out.

Shifty

I've been playing Bloodborne on my PS4 with the Steam Controller via the Titan One universal controller adapter gizmo this week.

It's pretty dope, emulated mouse-like camera control and all. I've been toying with the idea of creating a thread about it, but not sure if it's worthy.

Can't wait to try Vanquish with this thing.

hepburn3d

Is that what was happening???

Was playing Rocket League earlier and seemingly at random ...And Justice For All would start playing. Guess it was happening every time I spammed Wow! and What a save! Couldn't figure it out.

lol is that what's happening?

A few times playing a game earlier I was like "this game has great music!" but it was playing a soundtrack I bought. :X

Yep and the left stick changes the volume up and down. So if you're pressing up a lot the music starts to boom out. It would be OK if it didn't pause and play every time I boost in Elite :p

I'm going to guess they're tinkering with adding music control support in game and forgot to remove the code :)

A temporary fix is to remove the music from your steam library. Though in big picture mode it bugs and won't let you. If you use desktop steam to remove it works fine

hepburn3d

Also been warned headphone users. Not sure if this is related to the music player bug but the steam background sound is coming out so loud it's distorting. Almost through my headphones off :/

Over-Run

The controller has been bumming me out lately.
It just is too finicky.
I mean, sometimes it works on the desktop, other times it doesn't. Today I launched F.E.A.R in Big Picture, game launches, controller stops working and I can't bring up Big Picture mode. Can't alt tab from games it seems or issue a CTRL + ALT + DEL, which I think should be a built in button press into the controller regardless of the config.

I have to resort to using Chrome Remote Desktop to fix all my issues sending CTRL + ALT + DEL call.

I don't know if there is a way to do this with the controller, if there is that would be great.
Anybody know why the controller stops working sometimes if you go to the desktop from a game etc? Is it something that can be fixed?

Detox

It's been a while and I wanted to know is for those who got it how easy has it been to switch to keeping both thumbs on the track pads or is the analog stick essential to using the controller for let's say 3rd person games?

Oh my god that fucking music bug. I'm playing the Witcher 3 this morning and then BOOM Dark Souls II comes flipping out my speakers at max volume.

Not cool. I went ahead and did the temp fix, couldn't handle it.

Cru

I hate having to unplug my wheel to get the controller to work. Is there a fix or is it maybe a Win 10 issue?

impact

Banned
I give up. I can't get this to work with any emulators even after adding them to my Steam library and launching them through Steam. Dunno if I should get a XB1 pad or DS4 when I return it.

Jinkies

I give up. I can't get this to work with any emulators even after adding them to my Steam library and launching them through Steam. Dunno if I should get a XB1 pad or DS4 when I return it.
The DS4 is the second best controller for emulation, IMO.

Sorry you couldn't get beyond your technical issues.

Crayon

It's been a while and I wanted to know is for those who got it how easy has it been to switch to keeping both thumbs on the track pads or is the analog stick essential to using the controller for let's say 3rd person games?

While the left pad works well for movement both digital and analog, I've actually grown in my appreciation of the analog stick and i'm glad they put one on the left. It really is the best solution we have today for 3d movement. Miyamoto was right.

Besides, with the advent of the touch menus, that left pad becomes very valuable and is able to tame the most complex games by acting as a fast visual tool tray. In complex games I switch movement to the stick to free up the left pad for touch menu.

I'm so bummed out by this thing. I got it for Christmas, tried a few games with it, and the spacing on the controller is so uncomfortable in my tiny man hands that even if I could get the damn thing working properly it'd never really fit.

Also since my family got it off Amazon instead of Steam it didn't come with Rocket League, so I don't even have that to enjoy. I think I'm gonna sell it. :(

Crayon

I'm so bummed out by this thing. I got it for Christmas, tried a few games with it, and the spacing on the controller is so uncomfortable in my tiny man hands that even if I could get the damn thing working properly it'd never really fit.

Also since my family got it off Amazon instead of Steam it didn't come with Rocket League, so I don't even have that to enjoy. I think I'm gonna sell it. :(

How much did you play with it?

Oreoleo

How do I remove music from my steam library? I click the music tab and see it all, but right clicking doesnt have a delete option.
I couldn't do it in BPM. Had to go into settings in the main client and remove my music folders entirely so my music wouldn't show up. Not the best workaround if you actually use Steam Music but, it is what it is.
While the left pad works well for movement both digital and analog, I've actually grown in my appreciation of the analog stick and i'm glad they put one on the left. It really is the best solution we have today for 3d movement. Miyamoto was right.

Besides, with the advent of the touch menus, that left pad becomes very valuable and is able to tame the most complex games by acting as a fast visual tool tray. In complex games I switch movement to the stick to free up the left pad for touch menu.

Yup. I can't bring myself to use the left pad for movement, just doesn't feel right to me. Plus it's so much more useful for other things.

derFeef

Been playing lots of Ziggurat again to improve. I am now using a very low sensitivity, low acceleration and medium friction. I do good now. Lifting my thumb from the pad is also pretty key, I never did that before.

alerus

Neo Member
New Beta Update:

Steam Controller

Long term the 1 hour requirement is good, but until they add the ability to browse your friends configs or have them send you one it kind of sucks because now you can't try a new config and then have your friend use it.

laxu

Does anyone know if the Steam Controller Bluetooth dongle can be used for anything except the Steam Controller? I don't have BT in my desktop machine and was wondering if I can use the dongle to connect other stuff as well.

shockdude

Long term the 1 hour requirement is good, but until they add the ability to browse your friends configs or have them send you one it kind of sucks because now you can't try a new config and then have your friend use it.
Imo it makes sense since in an hour you might find something else to change in your config, and thus ensuring that in the end you will have uploaded/shared an optimal config.

Haven't had a chance to play with config templates yet but I look forward to that soon.

Oreoleo

Does anyone know if the Steam Controller Bluetooth dongle can be used for anything except the Steam Controller? I don't have BT in my desktop machine and was wondering if I can use the dongle to connect other stuff as well.

Sadly, no. It's some kind of proprietary blue tooth and won't work with anything else.

Foxyone

Sadly, no. It's some kind of proprietary blue tooth and won't work with anything else.

Didn't a teardown of the controller show that at least the bluetooth in the controller could potentially be made to work with other things via a software update?

derFeef

I would love an option that if you flick the pad the tackball kicks in with custom sensitivity. For aiming I need low sensitivity, but turning around could be quicker.

Nzyme32

If we are going with wishlists of feature sets - I'd like a way of switching bindings that are in the controller rather than through Steam. This could be useful in an emergency / crash of some kind and you need to access default windows controls, or maybe have a binding set specifically for crashes, containing ctrl+alt+delete short cuts etc. Maybe have them selectable through a combo of guide+left or right grips to flick through the bindings, maybe even have different sounds to notify you of which one you are using when you flick through them.

Also still waiting on being able to toggle mode shifts rather than have to hold a button down

Found the first game that is sort of unplayable with Steam Controller: D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die. Everything else works just fine but the QTE's use actions where you are required to move your analog sticks into directions by holding them down and they are so hard to hit correctly around 95% of the times

Anyone have an idea how it could be improved? Like I said, it needs both sticks, sometimes even at the same time.

alerus

Neo Member
Imo it makes sense since in an hour you might find something else to change in your config, and thus ensuring that in the end you will have uploaded/shared an optimal config.

Haven't had a chance to play with config templates yet but I look forward to that soon.

I agree, which is why I said long term it makes sense. Furthermore, you don't want people uploading before they confirm it works. But without an option to immediately share configs between friends, it kind of sucks to have to wait an hour (or force you to manage the files manually and transfer them through other channels). There should be a special channel for sharing configs between friends, and then they can keep the 1 hour rule for general public shares.

alerus

Neo Member
I would love an option that if you flick the pad the tackball kicks in with custom sensitivity. For aiming I need low sensitivity, but turning around could be quicker.

Acceleration (along with low friction trackball) may be the best currently available option for that. I use it for that kind of functionality.

Found the first game that is sort of unplayable with Steam Controller: D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die. Everything else works just fine but the QTE's use actions where you are required to move your analog sticks into directions by holding them down and they are so hard to hit correctly around 95% of the times

Anyone have an idea how it could be improved? Like I said, it needs both sticks, sometimes even at the same time.

Not sure if it will help, but maybe try the standard move analog (not mouse or camera analog) and turn off adaptive centering. Turning that off means that positions on the touch pad represents absolute positions on the analog. So touch the the furthest right part of the pad and it will send max analog right output, no swiping needed. That way if you need to hold it in some position, you just touch and hold that point.

Top Bottom