• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Not sure if it will help, but maybe try the standard move analog (not mouse or camera analog) and turn off adaptive centering. Turning that off means that positions on the touch pad represents absolute positions on the analog. So touch the the furthest right part of the pad and it will send max analog right output, no swiping needed. That way if you need to hold it in some position, you just touch and hold that point.

Hey good idea! I'll try that next time I play

Nzyme32

God damn it.

Went to use the Steam Controller in BPM but while playing any game, the dpad is also mapped to whatever Steam Music update they have - so all the buttons play brief bits of whatever music I was playing last, in this case, metal, which makes no sense in Mushihimesama.

Valve pls. I'm too lazy to opt out of the beta and screw up my bindings any further!

Nabs

God damn it.

Went to use the Steam Controller in BPM but while playing any game, the dpad is also mapped to whatever Steam Music update they have - so all the buttons play brief bits of whatever music I was playing last, in this case, metal, which makes no sense in Mushihimesama.

Valve pls. I'm too lazy to opt out of the beta and screw up my bindings any further!

Just fixed:

Steam Controller

Fixed Music playback shortcuts triggering during gameplay, even when the Steam button wasn't being held

Maybe I'm being dumb, but how do I update my already uploaded configuration? I change things, but then it makes me save it under personal... and if I go out of the configuration window it loses my changes. It's really annoying.

Drain You

Any standout games that make good use of the trackpad/other uniqueness of the controller. I wanna try out some other games. Really only tried Terraria, Day of Defeat, CSGO, Left4Dead,

Oreoleo

Any standout games that make good use of the trackpad/other uniqueness of the controller. I wanna try out some other games. Really only tried Terraria, Day of Defeat, CSGO, Left4Dead,

You could try a racing game and use the controller gyro as a steering wheel?

Foxyone

If we are going with wishlists of feature sets - I'd like a way of switching bindings that are in the controller rather than through Steam. This could be useful in an emergency / crash of some kind and you need to access default windows controls, or maybe have a binding set specifically for crashes, containing ctrl+alt+delete short cuts etc. Maybe have them selectable through a combo of guide+left or right grips to flick through the bindings, maybe even have different sounds to notify you of which one you are using when's you flick through them.

All ideas I like. Touch menus for Windows wouldn't hurt either to cover most necessary functions with one configuration, but I could also maybe think of situations like browser games where switching configs on the fly could be useful (and maybe like you mentioned, a Steam button combo could bring up an easy to use touch menu kind of thing to switch between certain configs).

Also, the controller really should at least be able to act as at least a mouse after a crash / in the absence of Steam (or Windows).

Why is it that the thing cannot seem to work without Steam like a normal mouse would (like in Windows permission pop-ups)?

hepburn3d

For me the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series is a stand out great demo of the controller. A purely PC game almost feels made specifically for this controller. Stand out features are using the left pad as a 16 buttons touch menu. This lets you toggle all in game abilities. Gyro tilt round corners. Shift mode to gyro aiming with hard trigger pull. Rear paddles for reload and grenade launcher. Push pad in for torch. Great game to test out with it. Or any in the series really. In fact I think Call of Pripyat was more fun for me.

Elite Horizons is also great. It has controller support but with rear paddles you get more control. I use both pads rather than the stick and it's lovely. Then when you get in an SRV use the triggers for driving. Really is a great game. Really is a great controller :)

City 17

Just fixed:

Steam Controller

Fixed Music playback shortcuts triggering during gameplay, even when the Steam button wasn't being held

Was looking for Max Payne bindings with gyro controls... saw Nabs' bindings which I assume is yours, it was really great, one question though, while using the touch menu controls, how do I "select" the weapons?

kinn

Using the keyboard and I cant seem to get the forwardslash key working (ie the opposite of \ ). Its shows up twice on the keyboard,like some others characters but neither one works.

Is this just me or is this a known issue?

Nabs

Was looking for Max Payne bindings with gyro controls... saw Nabs' bindings which I assume is yours, it was really great, one question though, while using the touch menu controls, how do I "select" the weapons?

You have to first select the gun using the touch menu by clicking the touchpad, then you have to hit right trigger to pull it out. So if you want to select the second shotgun, you'll have to hit the left pad twice, then right trigger. I tried to create a combo binding where it would automatically press the right trigger for you, but it ended up shooting the gun instead. Thanks for checking out my binding.

Owari

I really hate how if the controller disconnects when I'm in a non-steam game, and I reconnect it, the game is like "there's no controller lol"

They gotta fix that crap

City 17

You have to first select the gun using the touch menu by clicking the touchpad, then you have to hit right trigger to pull it out. So if you want to select the second shotgun, you'll have to hit the left pad twice, then right trigger. I tried to create a combo binding where it would automatically press the right trigger for you, but it ended up shooting the gun instead. Thanks for checking out my binding.

Was just thinking about implementing something like that, but as you said it seems that is not an option.

Thanks.

Has anyone played some OlliOlli with this thing? I've come up with some absurd control scheme, but I guess I haven't put enough time to export it yet? (I have a feeling this is a glitch).

Unai

I couldn't focus the photo in Life is Strange with the controller, had to use my keyboard because I didn't feel like making a modifier just for that at the time. I've tried both Mouse Joystick and Mouse Camera.

I got the controller and link yesterday and have been loving both. I like how you can load community configs from inside the game. Very cool so far.

j-wood

Now that I'm thinking thinking about getting a steam link, i've heard that the xbox one wireless controller adapter doesn't work with it right?

Which is making me think about picking up the steam controller as well. How is it? Are those touch pads really usable over analog sticks?

Drain You

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Definitely want to try out some racing games and anytbing else that uses the gyro. As for Stalker I was just thinking about replaying it so this might have to be how I do it.

Tahnit

Banned
I just finished starcraft 2 with this thing and my custom config. Loved it every step of the way. however Dont think this could be used competitively at all.

dsk1210

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Definitely want to try out some racing games and anytbing else that uses the gyro. As for Stalker I was just thinking about replaying it so this might have to be how I do it.

I have been playing Call of Pripyat with the controller and it works fantastically. Never thought I would be able to enjoy the game with a controller.

derFeef

I am glad this has the paddles, the face buttons are a pain to reach for me. Or I should say it's muscle memory from the Xbox controller that gives me cramps when I play with std. configs.

Veal

LOVELY. PLANET. LOVELY. FUCKING. PLANET. It's a fun Katamari style platformer/twitch shooter. You'll definitely want the gyro enabled for this one.

Shifty

Darwinia is a good one, pseudo-RTS with a gesture system for unit creation. You can get clever and bind the gesture stuff in such a way that you draw it directly with the right pad, feels pretty good!

I have a set of community mappings uploaded for this if anyone's interested.

Cynar

I just got one on the weekend to play Diablo 2 on my 8 inch windows tablet. Works really well with the game and I love it. Really impressed.

tried the community profile for Bionic Commando. In it, the creator offered gyro controls as an option.

Whoa, i totally get why people would want gyro controls for shooting now. It's some next level shit.

datamage

How's this with Souls-games? Contemplating on this or Xbox Elite..

Personally, I started playing Souls 1 with the Steam controller, and later decided to swap it for my XB1 controller... I found the XB1 controller felt better. I'm just not a fan of using the right touchpad for camera control. (I really did want to use my Steam controller for everything, but it didn't work out that way.)

impact

Banned
Finally got this thing working on Dolphin!.... but I have no idea how to set it up in Dolphin as a Wii remote to play SMG2 :(

Anyone got a .ini file for Dolphin Wiimote setup?

Shifty

Personally, I started playing Souls 1 with the Steam controller, and later decided to swap it for my XB1 controller... I found the XB1 controller felt better. I'm just not a fan of using the right touchpad for camera control. (I really did want to use my Steam controller for everything, but it didn't work out that way.)

To be fair, having to use mouse-like analog emulation due to Dark 1's horrendous mouse support probably doesn't help in that respect. Moving over to Dark 2's relatively decent PC port feels like a world of difference.

Unai

What kind of camera control did you use?

In my case, I really hate those configs where the right trackpad tries do emulate a real analog stick. I usually set my camera sensitivity in game to the max, and use the right trackpad as Mouse Joystick with trackball mode ON and low friction in games like Dark Souls.

datamage

To be fair, having to use mouse-like analog emulation due to Dark 1's horrendous mouse support probably doesn't help in that respect. Moving over to Dark 2's relatively decent PC port feels like a world of difference.

Didn't use it as a mouse.. just regular gamepad.

Nete

Really hope his works well with Xcom 2.

Don't see why it couldn't.

KB+M emulation and a touch menu works fantastic on XCOM 1, so there it should be the same.

RUt8E2m.jpg

tSzJLL6.png

Left Trigger to switch the Left Trackpad to a Touch menu.

datamage

What kind of camera control did you use?

In my case, I really hate those configs where the right trackpad tries do emulate a real analog stick. I usually set my camera sensitivity in game to the max, and use the right trackpad as Mouse Joystick with trackball mode ON and low friction in games like Dark Souls.

I've tried all of them.. originally started out as default gamepad, then switched to the one where it's touch to move? So essentially just tapping the right touchpad at any location moves the camera in that direction. I don't recall the names for the options right now, haven't used it in a bit.

None of the options felt like I had total control of the camera, perhaps I needed to tinker with their respective advanced settings...

Nabs

It's possible you may have missed Mouse Joystick. It's so much better than the other options in this case.

tried the community profile for Bionic Commando. In it, the creator offered gyro controls as a option.

Whoa, i totally get why people would want gyro controls for shooting now. It's some next level shit.

K6rOuHR.gif

Yup, gyro is the real deal. Just wait until you play a game with a proper mouse+gyro config. I just finished Wolfenstein TNO (and RtCW), and it felt amazing.

Unai

I've tried all of them.. originally started out as default gamepad, then switched to the one where it's touch to move? So essentially just tapping the right touchpad at any location moves the camera in that direction. I don't recall the names for the options right now, haven't used it in a bit.

None of the options felt like I had total control of the camera, perhaps I needed to tinker with their respective advanced settings...

These are my settings for Dark Souls. I did not change anything in the advanced settings. That mode shifting setting is not related to camera movement. I think it's worth saying that to make a configuration like this work you have to think about it like a mouse (or better yet, a trackball) and not a stick:

- Move your thumb as slow or as fast as you want to move the camera;
- When you stop moving your thumb, the camera will stop, just like a mouse.
- If you want to make a large movement, swipe your thumb and let it go. When the camera has moved enough, put your thumb on the trackpad again like if it was a trackball and you wanted to stop its movement.

datamage

These are my settings for Dark Souls. I did not change anything in the advanced settings. That mode shifting setting is not related to camera movement. I think it's worth saying that to make a configuration like this work you have to think about it like a mouse (or better yet, a trackball) and not a stick:

- Move your thumb as slow or as fast as you want to move the camera;
- When you stop moving your thumb, the camera will stop, just like a mouse.
- If you want to make a large movement, swipe your thumb and let it go. When the camera has moved enough, put your thumb on the trackpad again like if it was a trackball and you wanted to stop its movement.

Does your movement have to start from the middle of the pad? (As if the "analog stick" was centered?) That's where my issue lies, it just doesn't feel natural. Which is why I opted with the touch to move option (not sure what the exact name is..)

Unai

Does your movement have to start from the middle of the pad? (As if the "analog stick" was centered?) That's where my issue lies, it just doesn't feel natural. Which is why I opted with the touch to move option (not sure what the exact name is..)

No, it doesn't. I don't like that either. I think it's really, really bad and I would rather use a xbox 360 controller if I had to use that setting. You are probably talking about Joystick Camera and/or Joystick Move. I hate those for camera control.

In the main configuration page, the one I'm using is displayed as "Mouse-like Joystick". I think it feels very natural in third person action adventure games. Give it a shot if you have not tried it yet.

datamage

No, it doesn't. I don't like that either. I think it's really, really bad and I would rather use a xbox 360 controller if I had to use that setting. You are probably talking about Joystick Camera and/or Joystick Move. I hate those for camera control.

In the main configuration page, the one I'm using is displayed as "Mouse-like Joystick". I think it feels very natural in third person action adventure games. Give it a shot if you have not tried it yet.

Will give it a whirl when I get home, thanks for the recommendation!

It's possible you may have missed Mouse Joystick. It's so much better than the other options in this case.

K6rOuHR.gif

Yup, gyro is the real deal. Just wait until you play a game with a proper mouse+gyro config. I just finished Wolfenstein TNO (and RtCW), and it felt amazing.

oh hey it's your config lol. It's great!

I'm at work so i couldn't find the profile info so sorry for not giving you credit earlier.

JCX

My controller worked fine until this past weekend. Tried to pair it to my Steam Link, but it didn't work. Now it won't pair with any device I try to pair it with.

Top Bottom