• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I posted about this in the Idle Master thread, but I thought I'd share here too.

Idle Master is being relaunched as a Windows application. All future updates going forward will be made in this version.

mwWgn7X.png

Sorry OSX and Linux folks. :(

It probably won't be released until after the new year, but I thought I'd share my progress here as things come along if that's alright (since I know a lot of you guys use Idle Master).

I posted about this in the Idle Master thread, but I thought I'd share here too.

Idle Master is being relaunched as a Windows application. All future updates going forward will be made in this version.

mwWgn7X.png

It probably won't be released until after the new year, but I thought I'd share my progress here as things come along if that's alright (since I know a lot of you guys use Idle Master).

Looks pretty snazzy! Great work as always jshackles.

Uzzy

So I love strategy games, and am contemplating Endless Legend. I've never tried a 4x specifically before, but the game looks amazing. Any one here play and have any comments if it is worth it? I just need a shove one way or other as I'm on the fence.

Well recommended from me. The massive differences in factions, the seasons affecting your entire empire, some interesting unit customisation, unique quest-lines for each faction, all come to together to make it my favourite 4x game since Alpha Centauri.

I'd check some tutorials up on YouTube though. The inbuilt tutorial is apparently pretty rubbish, but I've not used it myself.

Miguel81

Blimey O'Reilly that first server bridge segment in Unity came right out of the leftfield. Guess that's what those Time Anomalies were all about then huh.

Nice shots! Is it a good time to jump into the game? I've recently upgraded gpu(290) and purchased Unity(Amazon sale), but am a bit fearful of having a negative experience with it. Very beautiful, though.

Dr Dogg

Well it seems out 'favourite' Complete Cookie has caught wind of the Dark Souls fiasco.

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/547165762767814657

And here's me thing it was just going to be Square being dicks today.

I got it to run ok when I removed AA completely and lowered couple of things, this at 2560x1440. Playing it though at those setting just doesn't feel right. Going to try running it at 1080 in my living room someday soon and see how much better I can get it to run. Far Cry 4 also runs so much better just by going down on resolution.

Oh Yeah Far Cry 4 has run pretty much flawlessly for me since it came out. Do need to do a little tweaking to keep a stable framerate but there's lots to tinker around with there.

http://i.imgur.com/mwWgn7X.png[IMG]

[SPOILER]Sorry OSX and Linux folks. :([/SPOILER]

It probably won't be released until after the new year, but I thought I'd share my progress here as things come along if that's alright (since I know a lot of you guys use Idle Master).[/QUOTE]

Great work as always shacks. That's some funky GUI you got going there. I just need to buy some games with card drops now :(

[quote="dante81, post: 144450094"]Nice shots! Is it a good time to jump into the game? I've recently upgraded gpu(290) and purchased Unity(Amazon sale), but am a bit fearful of having a negative experience with it. Very beautiful, though.[/QUOTE]

No idea how it is on the AMD side of things. The benches that came out during release weren't too favourable (to be expected as it's an Nvidia Sponsored game). I'm not really in the situation to comment on how the performance has changed over time as I only picked it up the other day but it's more than acceptable for me but bear in mind I'm not a crazed hyperactive 60fps stalwart and quite happy to take a hit on framerate for eye candy. Saying that even though I bounce from 40-60 at 1920x1080 with High Textures the frame times have been pretty smooth.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Looks pretty snazzy! Great work as always jshackles.

Thanks! There have been a lot of requests to make Idle Master "easier" and I think this fits the bill. Also with it being a fully interactive application I can do things like give the user buttons to skip to the next game, pause idling, etc. I wrote about all the reasons in the other thread, but I'm pretty excited about it moving forward.

gngf123

Well we can only hope the A-Team of From Software continues to make high quality Exclusives for the PS4 from now on and the B-Team does their thing for Multiplat.
So at least the biggest part of the community can enjoy good games.

To be honest - I wouldn't put much effort into it either.
How many people buy the game for full price?Probably a lot less who buy it for 5$ on Steam Sales.
Buy 2 Million Units for full price on release day and then you probably gonna get a well optimized PC Version full of love or at least patches/fixes.

Hope for Durante they are just making an Error.
Otherwise stuff like that isn't helping him to put effort into future projects and without him 9/10 PC Games aren't working properly.

Meanwhile on gaming side.

mwWgn7X.png

Aw OSX left out in the cold for the new one? This looks pretty snazzy, so maybe I'll switch my idling back to my PC...

Well recommended from me. The massive differences in factions, the seasons affecting your entire empire, some interesting unit customisation, unique quest-lines for each faction, all come to together to make it my favourite 4x game since Alpha Centauri.

I'd check some tutorials up on YouTube though. The inbuilt tutorial is apparently pretty rubbish, but I've not used it myself.
Much appreciated!

Aw OSX left out in the cold for the new one? This looks pretty snazzy, so maybe I'll switch my idling back to my PC...

If it's C#/.NET it could still feasibly use Mono on OSX. It'd be a bit of a pain, but it's not completely out-of-the-question.

Alternatively, I doubt that jshackles would go scorched-earth on the original version and delete all references to it. The Python version would still work on OSX, it just wouldn't be as amazing as Idle Master 2.0.

Miguel81

No idea how it is on the AMD side of things. The benches that came out during release weren't too favourable (to be expected as it's an Nvidia Sponsored game). I'm not really in the situation to comment on how the performance has changed over time as I only picked it up the other day but it's more than acceptable for me but bear in mind I'm not a crazed hyperactive 60fps stalwart and quite happy to take a hit on framerate for eye candy. Saying that even though I bounce from 40-60 at 1920x1080 with High Textures the frame times have been pretty smooth.

Thanks for the response. The recent Omega drivers supposedly give a bit of a boost for Unity, and I'm just trying to finish up Freedom Cry(performing wonderfully on my gpu) before I move on to Paris. AC is a series I always delay playing for a bit while Ubi fixes their jank.

If it's C#/.NET it could still feasibly use Mono on OSX. It'd be a bit of a pain, but it's not completely out-of-the-question.

Alternatively, I doubt that jshackles would go scorched-earth on the original version and delete all references to it. The Python version would still work on OSX, it just wouldn't be as amazing as Idle Master 2.0.
Oh I know I can use the Python version still. The new one looks so much more functional though that I'll probably switch over to doing it on my terrible PC anyways.

http://i.imgur.com/mwWgn7X.png
outstanding work, mister. as usual :)
besides being "easier" what advantages does this change bring and what challenges did it pose to you while developing it?
i did read your post in the dedicated thread but i was curious as to what possible advantages "under the hood" there are.

jshackles

outstanding work, mister. as usual :)
besides being "easier" what advantages does this change bring and what challenges did it pose to you while developing it?
i did read your post in the dedicated thread but i was curious as to what possible advantages "under the hood" there are.

The biggest advantage this has over the compiled Python version is that everything that's running is updating the application asynchronously in real time. The Python app executes synchronously meaning it moves from line to line executing code in sequence. That makes it hard to add some of the features people are requesting: things like the ability to skip to the next game, or to pause idling so that you can play a game. Even adding the ability to re-query the badges page to see if new games with drops are available is a cumbersome feat.

With the new version, the application can get and receive input in real time. For example, if you launch the program and Steam isn't running, it'll tell you as such (using the Steamworks API). Once you launch and log in to Steam, Idle Master will automatically change to reflect that. Because of the synchronous nature of the old version, it didn't even bother checking and just assumed it was running. You wouldn't get an error until after it already got a list of games to idle and tried to launch one. If the Steam app crashes, Idle Master will know about it and can react to that. That's just one example, but you get the idea.

It's beautiful.

So I love strategy games, and am contemplating Endless Legend. I've never tried a 4x specifically before, but the game looks amazing. Any one here play and have any comments if it is worth it? I just need a shove one way or other as I'm on the fence.

I'm shoving you off of the fence. Endless Legend is fun, weird, and wonderful. It has a really slick UI, creative factions, and some very interesting gameplay ideas. Some of the factions play very differently from one-another, to the point that it's entirely different gameplay. The game isn't perfect, but the developers are actively working to improve the game, so the flaws of EL - like poor combat and enemy AI - may one day be no more. In short, it's worth buying.

Civilization 5 would be the best entry point into 4X games, but so long as you're willing to learn I doubt you'll have problems playing Endless Legend. It will take many hours until you can master the game, but that's half of the fun.

Also, I want to note that for fantasy 4Xes I'd recommend Age of Wonders 3 over EL. It's mostly personal preference, save that the combat engine in AoW3 is waaay better.

One last thing: If you buy & like Endless Legend, consider AMPLITUDE's other games. They're all set in the same universe but are entirely different games. It's really a cool idea.

Khronico

I don't know what the canon outcome was meant to be be but she was pretty much always
dead
in my playthroughs because fuck trying to clear that area out. I did it once silently for the chievo and never again.

I managed to stealthily clear out that area on I Am Deus Ex difficulty. Never did I feel such intense pressure from a game. SO WORTH IT.

Miguel81

I don't know what the canon outcome was meant to be be but she was pretty much always
dead
in my playthroughs because fuck trying to clear that area out. I did it once silently for the chievo and never again.

I had no idea that it was possible until my second run with commentary enabled. Man, I loved that commentary.

mwWgn7X.png

wtf? you're the guy behind idle master too? jeez man, why hasn't valve hired you already? as a matter a fact, fuck em. they're getting shitter and shitter. besides, you're too cool for them anyway.

Here's one of my favorite games to play with friends for my efriends at GAF:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (billmcdougal, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mount Your Friends -- MB-9438DDFA45BE90B7 - Taken by alr1ght. 22 entrants total.

t1419306599z1.png

The biggest advantage this has over the compiled Python version is that everything that's running is updating the application asynchronously in real time. [...]
that sounds nifty. hopefully it doesn't give you too much headache :)

and just a tiny suggestion.
the standard windows progression bar left very bad connotations with me -_-
any chance of having different kind of visualization?

zkylon

zkylewd

mwWgn7X.png

nice

you should add a button to skip and go to the next game btw

chores simulator
ModBot said:
Instructions for Widdly Scuds:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Widdly Scuds, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Viscera Cleanup Detail Santa's Rampage -- MB-F718B5F63BDB2234 - Taken by Jables Swan

t1419298499z1.png

Anustart

Surprised so many have shovel knight in contention for game of the year. While it was a good game, I felt it was a rather by the numbers mega man style game. Was good, but nothing mind blowing or anything.

mwWgn7X.png

What would our community do without you?

drizzle

Axel Hertz

mwWgn7X.png

Damn shackles, that's pretty great. Any chance of having a way to automagically grab credentials, or is that still on a .txt file (that now can be generated through enhanced steam, I am aware).

Application looks amazing.

Asgaro

mwWgn7X.png

My body is ready. My man... MY MAN.

VGHkJeD.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

mwWgn7X.png

Neat.

jshackles

Damn shackles, that's pretty great. Any chance of having a way to automagically grab credentials, or is that still on a .txt file (that now can be generated through enhanced steam, I am aware).

Application looks amazing.

Yep, be sure to check out the other thread where I give a bit more detail and a few more screenshots.

tmarg

Surprised so many have shovel knight in contention for game of the year. While it was a good game, I felt it was a rather by the numbers mega man style game. Was good, but nothing mind blowing or anything.

I mean, mega man is pretty great. And capcom isn't making any.

Speevy

Banned
Considering how many bad platformers there are for the NES, Mega Man itself is anything but 'by the numbers".

That Shovel Knight achieved a novel mechanic in its own right while paying homage to not just Mega Man, but several other classic games is extraordinary.

There are dozens if not hundreds of retro throwbacks, and almost none of them actually evoke the era that they're emulating. Shovel Knight comes close, and if you erase any traces of self-awareness from the title, it's dead-on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom